• 396,361 Topics
• 22,570 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Un-Official Post Spring Depth Chart--- Who moves out or into the 2-Deep?  (Read 1512 times)

lakecityhog

Obviously Dorian Gerald has a good chance to be in the 2-Deep by Game 1, maybe a bit later. Does Gerald and Capps allow Agim to move back out to DE?
I still think that Ramsey is more of a situational player than a 3 down guy, and Taylor could be of that same mold. Gerald and Agim have the size to play strong against the run and have the quickness to rush the passer.

On offense I think that the most un-settled position is QB and that spot may not be concrete til game week.

Arkansas offense
Depth Chart

QB: Ty Storey OR Cole Kelley
RB: Devwah Whaley | Maleek Williams | OR Chase Hayden | OR TJ Hammonds
TE: Jeremy Patton | Austin Cantrell | OR CJ O’Grady
WR: Jonathan Nance  | Michael Woods | Tyson Morris OR Koilan Jackson
WR: La’Michael Pettway | Brandon Martin | OR Jordan Jones
WR: De’Vion Warren | Deon Stewart | Gary Cross
LT: Colton Jackson | Shane Clenin
LG: Hjalte Froholdt | Kirby Adcock
C: Dylan Hays | Ty Clary | OR Audry Horn
RG: Jalen Merrick OR Johnny Gibson
RT: Brian Wallace | Tyler Hall

Arkansas defense
Depth chart

LE: Gabe Richardson | Michael Taylor II | OR David Porter
DT:   Armon Watts | Austin Capps | Briston Guidry 
DT: McTelvin Agim | T.J. Smith | OR Jonathan Marshall
RE: Randy Ramsey |  Jamario Bell
WLB: Dre Greenlaw | Dee Walker
MLB: De’Jon Harris | Grant Morgan
SLB/NICKEL: D’Vone McClure | OR Hayden Henry| OR Kevin Richardson
CB: Ryan Pulley | Britto Tutt
CB: Chevin Calloway | Nate Dalton
FS: Santos Ramirez | Montaric Brown
SS: Kamren Curl | Micahh Smith
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 08:31:00 am by lakecityhog »

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!

Obviously Dorian Gerald has a good chance to be in the 2-Deep by Game 1, maybe a bit later. Does Gerald and Capps allow Agim to move back out to DE?
I still think that Ramsey is more of a situational player than a 3 down guy, and Taylor could be of that same mold. Gerald and Agim have the size to play strong against the run and have the quickness to rush the passer.

On offense I think that the most un-settled position is QB and that spot may not be concrete til game week.

Arkansas offense
Depth Chart

RB: Devwah Whaley | Maleek Williams | Chase Hayden | TJ Hammonds
TE: Jeremy Patton | Austin Cantrell | CJ O’Grady
WR: Jonathan Nance | Tyson Morris | Michael Woods
WR: La’Michael Pettway | Brandon Martin | Jordan Jones
C: Dylan Hays | Ty Clary | Audry Horn

Arkansas defense
Depth chart

LE: Gabe Richardson | Michael Taylor II | David Porter | Elias Hale
DT:   Armon Watts | Austin Capps | Briston Guidry  | Jonathan Marshall
DT: McTelvin Agim | T.J. Smith | Jake Hall | Isaiah Nichols
RE: Randy Ramsey |  Jamario Bell | Damani Carter
WLB: Dre Greenlaw | Dee Walker | Alexy Jean-Baptiste OR Giovanni LaFrance | Kyrei Fisher OR Tyler Phillips
MLB: De’Jon Harris | Grant Morgan | Bumper Pool | Terrell Collins
SLB/NICKEL: D’Vone McClure | OR Hayden Henry| Derrick Munson | Deon Edwards
CB: Ryan Pulley | Britto Tutt | Byron Keaton
CB: Chevin Calloway | Nate Dalton | Jordon Curtis
FS: Santos Ramirez | Montaric Brown | Ryder Lucas OR Matt Berry
SS: Kamren Curl | Micahh Smith | Jayden Menchew

Need to take another look at your depth chart. Some of those defensive players have transferred, I believe.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem

Haha, more of a 2-4 deep...

That said, I'd be surprised if Tyson Morris stays even in that three deep come game time. Two big names you are missing at WR are Cornelius and Jackson.

I'd probably switch the WR chart to be
WR: Jared Cornelius, Stewart, Warren
WR:  Jonathan Nance, Jackson, Woods
WR: Pettway/Jordan Jones/Brandon Martin

I'd probably have Clenin as the backup to RT, Hall off the list, and Wagner as the backup LT.

I'd basically completely redo the DL depth chart with Gerald starting week 1. Like you, I don't think Ramsey is a 3 down player. However, the rush ends will likely play somewhat frequently, pushing Agim inside on passing situations. The top 4 DT's would largely all be co-starters, with PT depending on situation and team game plan.

LE: Agim, Richardson, Nichols,
DT: Marshall, Smith, Guidry
DT: Watts, Capps, Ferrell
RE: Gerald, Bell, Taylor
*Rush End: Ramsey, Porter

LB: Not sure why you went that deep... That group isn't going to rotate 4 deep. It probably won't go much past an actual two deep.

Curtis could move up that depth chart, but you mostly asked who might move into the depth chart that you don't have listed. McClellion has a stellar HS film tape to watch and is just coming off a freshmen year. A bit overshadowed by the signings of guys like Curl, Brown, Curtis, and Calloway, but is really close to the same caliber player. Would be very surprised if Keaton is higher on the depth chart. Dalton hasn't shown much, but displayed good athleticism and has great size.

Similar comment to S as with LB. The top 4 are going to be about the only ones you ever see play save for the fourth quarter of a blowout game.

NICKEL: Definitely agree with McClure as the leading WLB LB hybrid type with Hayden a close second, but like Cornelius, you left out Kevin Richardson I think. When we need a true third CB as a nickel, it'll likely be him. When we are running a 4-3 and just want a LB who is really good in coverage, but can still be an asset in the run game, McClure with Hayden spelling from time to time.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian

Need to take another look at your depth chart. Some of those defensive players have transferred, I believe.

It was Hall and Edwards, no?

SPAL

• Administrator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • I like Big Mike and I cannot lie

Benny, I've always admired how much you put into your posts.. excellent work as always.

lakecityhog

Guys, I just copied this and dusted it a bit. I knew that some guys had left but I truthfully couldn't remember each and every one.

I am just super ready to talk about football. I love EI and the way that board is run, but the simple truth is that football is #1 with me and probably always will be.

Richardson will be our "jack-of-all-trades" and will play where needed the most at any given time. I also think that Cornelius will be a major player, but Woods will not be 3rd team for long. If he has a good fall camp he could be running with the 1's on occasion.

ALL coaches like to fit at least a couple of their very first recruits on the field as quickly as possible. That does at least 2 things. 1st, it tells everyone that there's a new sheriff in town and no job is safe. And 2nd, it tells all the kids that are being recruited that the coach isn't afraid to play young guys.

I do hope that you are wrong on Ferrell, if he is in the 2-deep that means we have very little quality depth and we need some of these guys like Marshall, Guidry and Watts to step up and become players. Also, I'm not sure how well Jackson plays early on after his injury. Can he catch up to all the guys that went through the spring drills?

I am just grateful that this post started some discussion.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian

Guys, I just copied this and dusted it a bit. I knew that some guys had left but I truthfully couldn't remember each and every one.

I am just super ready to talk about football. I love EI and the way that board is run, but the simple truth is that football is #1 with me and probably always will be.

Richardson will be our "jack-of-all-trades" and will play where needed the most at any given time. I also think that Cornelius will be a major player, but Woods will not be 3rd team for long. If he has a good fall camp he could be running with the 1's on occasion.

ALL coaches like to fit at least a couple of their very first recruits on the field as quickly as possible. That does at least 2 things. 1st, it tells everyone that there's a new sheriff in town and no job is safe. And 2nd, it tells all the kids that are being recruited that the coach isn't afraid to play young guys.

I do hope that you are wrong on Ferrell, if he is in the 2-deep that means we have very little quality depth and we need some of these guys like Marshall, Guidry and Watts to step up and become players. Also, I'm not sure how well Jackson plays early on after his injury. Can he catch up to all the guys that went through the spring drills?

I am just grateful that this post started some discussion.

You seem to contradict yourself here. Why does playing Ferrell signify something bad, but it's a good thing for Woods to be playing? Does him playing not signify weakness at his position?

I think it largely depends on an individual's view of the player. I think we can do just fine at DT without Ferrell, but I think he is a very good prospect on par with many in the current depth chart with potential to be better and so should probably be playing, assuming he learns the playbook.

I think Woods is a solid player, but as of right now, I can easily list 7 WR's that I think are currently a tier above Woods. So, in contrast to Ferrell, I think we'd be better off right now with Woods redshirting.

Disagree that all coaches like to do that. I'd wager most coaches would prefer to have a laden with multi-year starters. However, most new coaches are due to the other coach failing at at least some part of the job, so there's usually holes that need to be filled. That, and most teams usually have a handful of freshmen playing for them each year anyways. That isn't a new coach thing.

No coach is going to play an athlete who is less talented simply to play psychological games with the team. Or at least, no coach that is going to be keeping their job for very long. Instead, it is typically as I said above. Most teams have a handful of new recruits that see playing time with each new class, and new coaches on average have more holes to fill. In our team's case, I'm of the opinion that our team isn't coaches by somebody new due to being bereft of talent, but instead lacking leadership. See hogs first year under Nutt or Auburn's first year under Gus as HC as two examples of a teams in similar (though obviously not exactly the same) talent situations to the hogs with pathetic showings the previous year and dramatic turnaround the first year with the new coach. Biggest hurdle IMO to a dramatic turnaround year will be how much of a hangover of the lost season there is.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!

Arkansas offense
Depth Chart

RB: Devwah Whaley | Maleek Williams | Chase Hayden | TJ Hammonds
TE: Jeremy Patton | Austin Cantrell | CJ O’Grady
WR: Jonathan Nance | Tyson Morris | Michael Woods
WR: La’Michael Pettway | Brandon Martin | Jordan Jones
C: Dylan Hays | Ty Clary | Audry Horn

Arkansas defense
Depth chart

LE: Gabe Richardson | Michael Taylor II | David Porter | Elias Hale
DT:   Armon Watts | Austin Capps | Briston Guidry  | Jonathan Marshall
DT: McTelvin Agim | T.J. Smith | Jake Hall | Isaiah Nichols
RE: Randy Ramsey |  Jamario Bell | Damani Carter
WLB: Dre Greenlaw | Dee Walker | Alexy Jean-Baptiste OR Giovanni LaFrance | Kyrei Fisher OR Tyler Phillips
MLB: De’Jon Harris | Grant Morgan | Bumper Pool | Terrell Collins
SLB/NICKEL: D’Vone McClure | OR Hayden Henry| Derrick Munson | Deon Edwards
CB: Ryan Pulley | Britto Tutt | Byron Keaton
CB: Chevin Calloway | Nate Dalton | Jordon Curtis
FS: Santos Ramirez | Montaric Brown | Ryder Lucas OR Matt Berry
SS: Kamren Curl | Micahh Smith | Jayden Menchew

Well done but to be honest, I will be shocked if the starting defensive front doesn't look like this come game time:

DE - Gerald
DT - Agim
DT - Capps
DE - Ramsey

Dominicanhog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net

Well done but to be honest, I will be shocked if the starting defensive front doesn't look like this come game time:

DE - Gerald
DT - Agim
DT - Capps
DE - Ramsey

Tend to agree..they will definitely be in the mix for starting spots..

lakecityhog

I went back and modified the chart, but I did keep over 2 guys in some spots. Sorry! I eliminated the 2 names mentioned as gone and added Jackson. I didn't want to add any of the newcomers, but I think we all expect big things from Gerald and Woods showed up in every scrimmage and the spring game.

The biggest difference is that Woods came in early and went thru the spring and competed well. Ferrell did not and will come in with no on the field experience with his position group or with the defense as a whole. If we have to accelerate his progression it is because we have guys that we should be counting on not producing. Make sense? At least that is my thought process and it may well be wrong.

I actually thought Woods was one of the most consistent receivers all spring, probably because he is more familiar with the Morris type of O. Is he the most athletic or talented or fastest? Probably not, but I think that we have seen that running good routes and knowing how to be a good receiver can overcome the physical things ala D Morgan??

Did not say "ALL" coaches in the sense that every D1 coach will do that. My point is that most new or 1st year coaches will try to slip in one or two of their own recruits into the lineup in year 1. In most cases the new coach is there for a reason and in an effort to turn around the team he will utilize players that he trusts and what player will he trust more? The last guys players or the players that he, himself evaluated? Plus he does let potential recruits know that even though we have a roster full of receivers the job is still open. Another plus is that it might tend to nudge some kids that simply do not "fit" to consider moving on. Tons of reasons to play "your" guys over the other coaches guys.

Man. I can't wait for fall camp!!! I AM READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian

I went back and modified the chart, but I did keep over 2 guys in some spots. Sorry! I eliminated the 2 names mentioned as gone and added Jackson. I didn't want to add any of the newcomers, but I think we all expect big things from Gerald and Woods showed up in every scrimmage and the spring game.

The biggest difference is that Woods came in early and went thru the spring and competed well. Ferrell did not and will come in with no on the field experience with his position group or with the defense as a whole. If we have to accelerate his progression it is because we have guys that we should be counting on not producing. Make sense? At least that is my thought process and it may well be wrong.

I actually thought Woods was one of the most consistent receivers all spring, probably because he is more familiar with the Morris type of O. Is he the most athletic or talented or fastest? Probably not, but I think that we have seen that running good routes and knowing how to be a good receiver can overcome the physical things ala D Morgan??

Did not say "ALL" coaches in the sense that every D1 coach will do that. My point is that most new or 1st year coaches will try to slip in one or two of their own recruits into the lineup in year 1. In most cases the new coach is there for a reason and in an effort to turn around the team he will utilize players that he trusts and what player will he trust more? The last guys players or the players that he, himself evaluated? Plus he does let potential recruits know that even though we have a roster full of receivers the job is still open. Another plus is that it might tend to nudge some kids that simply do not "fit" to consider moving on. Tons of reasons to play "your" guys over the other coaches guys.

Man. I can't wait for fall camp!!! I AM READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL

Just my opinion but I don't think, especially with the situation that they are coming into and with the way that business on the team was conducted the last couple of years with regard to who saw playing time, that you are going to see this Staff playing favorites. They'll play whomever does the best job at their position within their schemes, without regard for who it was that recruited them. Don't think for a second that Morris doesn't recognize the enormity of the challenge that he inherited by taking this job. I'll guarantee that he is here to win now, not move along and make progress at a slow pace. Whether he can get it done or not is another question. I hope that he can but we will just have to wait and see.

As for the Receivers, Nance is certainly going to be a starter and Deon Stewart had 404 yards receiving last year and right behind him is Jordan Jones. I don't know if his talent has been mismanaged or what, but I think he has a ton of unrealized potential and he had 401 yards receiving last season and had the highest yards/catch of anyone on the team at 19.1.

Pettway, Hammonds and Cornelius should be battling for snaps as well. Another 3 players whose talent and potential hasn't been utilized to the fullest extent. Same goes with Martin if he can stay healthy.

Barnes and Warren both have speed and may find their way into playing time but if we don't utilize Warren as our returner on KO Ret and Punt Ret, we may be making a mistake. That kid can fly.

So anyway, that's my two cents worth on the receivers. I'm not as lacking in confidence in their ability and speed as some seem to be.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 11:54:51 am by MuskogeeHogFan »

lakecityhog

Does anyone step up and take a spot from the " favorite" at any position??
Personally, I think that Storey has a real shot at being the game 1 starter. I will not be shocked to see M Williams on the field a lot this fall.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian

Does anyone step up and take a spot from the " favorite" at any position??
Personally, I think that Storey has a real shot at being the game 1 starter. I will not be shocked to see M Williams on the field a lot this fall.

I think that unless Kelley has a terrible August camp, he will be your starting QB. That doesn't mean that Storey won't be given more snaps than he has in the past, but with a new offense that is predicated even more so on reads and timing, unless perfection is found in Fall camp (and I don't think that is what we will see), my guess is that they will choose to allow the starter to play longer at the first part of the season against lesser opponents to work out the kinks. One probably has to hope for significant leads for the #2 to get some significant time early.

Maleek Williams impressed folks in August camp last year and I'm sure that the Staff thought they were better served by hanging a R/S on him last season. But with a year of conditioning and development (and practice) under his belt, I too think that he will surprise some fans this season. As I recall, he not only has speed, but he carried a lot of defensive guys with him for extra yards after first contact last year. I believe that he has a ton of potential as well. He seems like he runs with a great deal of power and may have the burst to gain separation once past the LOS.

At the same time I expect bigger production out of Whaley and Hayden (just 7 games LY) this coming season provided that the O-Line holds up their end by executing at a higher level by benefiting from better blocking angles. And then there is Rakeem Boyd (a JC transfer) who I doubt that they signed just so he could provide depth off the bench. A&M thought enough of him to sign him out of HS. We will see how he plays into the mix.

I also think that with more depth at RB that it enables Morris to free up Hammonds to be utilized in more creative ways in the offense by scheming ways to get him the ball in space. At least that is my hope.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 12:46:56 pm by MuskogeeHogFan »

lakecityhog

I hope Hammonds gets used more like a "scatback" and not as  a true running back. I'm not sure he can take the pounding for a full season Hayden may be a bit small too

jhogg

• Bench Warmer

DE - Gerald
DT - Agim
DT - Capps
DE - Ramsey
I agree, if Ferrell is ready to go you play him and start building some depth

TheRazorback500

• All-American Hogvillian
  • It's better to burn out than fade away.

I would think Richardson would have an edge on McClure at nickel because of game experience. I can't recall if McClure played much last season.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!

I agree, if Ferrell is ready to go you play him and start building some depth

I believe they'll try to red shirt Ferrell if possible.

redleg

• Senior

OFFENSE -
Qb - Kelley OR Storey
Rb - Whaley, Hammonds, Hayden, Williams
Wr - Cornelius, Stewart
Wr - Nance, Jones
Wr - Martin, Pettway
Te - Patton, O'Grady
Lt - Jackson, Clenin
Lg - Froholdt, Adcock
C - Hays, Clary
Rg - Merrick, Gibson
Rt - Wallace, Wagner

DEFENSE -
De - Ramsey, Taylor
Dt - Agim, TJ Smith
Ng - Capps, Guidry
De - Gerald, Richardson
Lb/Nickel - Munson, Henry
Mlb - Harris, Pool
Wlb - Greenlaw, Walker
Cb - Pulley, Tutt
Cb - Calloway, Curtis
Ss - Curl, M. Smith
Fs - Ramirez, Brown

lakecityhog

Red, that is a pretty fair lineup! I just really believe that Woods will be in the 2-deep at WR and will make an impact this year.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!

Red, that is a pretty fair lineup! I just really believe that Woods will be in the 2-deep at WR and will make an impact this year.

The receivers are rotated quite a bit in Chad Morris's offense so Woods will likely get a lot of playing time even if he doesn't start.

Großer Kriegschwein

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Is it football season yet?

The receivers are rotated quite a bit in Chad Morris's offense so Woods will likely get a lot of playing time even if he doesn't start.

Depends on how many snaps we average per game.

We could always keep the snaps down by pulling an Auburn and scoring on the 2nd or 3rd play from scrimmage on a drive (ala 56-3 beat down).

I have zero expectations for the football program. I'd like them to win, but I'm done overanalyzing every part of the team.

Three and Snout

I was told these were post spring practice.

redleg

• Senior

No way Smith starts ahead of Agim.

redleg

• Senior

OFFENSE -
Qb - Kelley OR Storey
Rb - Whaley, Hammonds, Hayden, Williams
Wr - Cornelius, Stewart
Wr - Nance, Jones
Wr - Martin, Pettway
Te - Patton, O'Grady
Lt - Jackson, Clenin
Lg - Froholdt, Adcock
C - Hays, Clary
Rg - Merrick, Gibson
Rt - Wallace, Wagner

DEFENSE -
De - Ramsey, Taylor
Dt - Agim, TJ Smith
Ng - Capps, Guidry
De - Gerald, Richardson
Lb/Nickel - Munson, Henry
Mlb - Harris, Pool
Wlb - Greenlaw, Walker
Cb - Pulley, Tutt
Cb - Calloway, Curtis
Ss - Curl, M. Smith
Fs - Ramirez, Brown
I hope Bumper Pool redshirts. He could use it to pack on some needed muscle, and to learn the defense. It wouldn't be out of the ordinary if the back-up MLB was a hodge-podge of players, i.e. Fisher, LaFrance, and Morgan.

davril98

Who knows what’ll happen what with the new schemes but it sure looks like there’s some talent there!

Hogs49ers

• Senior

Curious as to why no one has Clary starting after playing quite a bit as a freshman.  Not saying y'all are wrong as I do not have enough information, but just curious why y'all have him where he is.

Also, I just watched Froholdt at SEC media days and he mentioned Gibson was playing really well so could see him starting, also mentioned Wallace as standing out, with Wagner showing out as 1 of the younger guys.

lakecityhog

I think that Clary is still recovering from an injury, right?? I seem to remember a knee? Might be a GREAT time for him to redshirt. Full recovery, year to better develop and puts him on more even ground with his class.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas