• 395,957 Topics
• 22,375 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cole Kelly at Manning Passing Academy  (Read 7859 times)

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
Re: Cole Kelly at Manning Passing Academy
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2018, 07:36:56 pm »

Cole going to be much better in the Fall!

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2018, 07:41:31 pm »

Cole going to be much better in the Fall!

I agree. That 70 yard bomb he threw in that video is impressive and he hit the receiver in stride.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

King Kong

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2018, 09:03:26 pm »

I didn't say that about Bret Bielema. I stated that he was a good hire but if he didn't shelve his Big 10 offense and run a form of the spread, he was doomed to failure. I was right about the latter part.

His bigger problem was his inability to play good defense and solid special teams.

Offense was pretty good in 2015 and 2016. 2015 of course leading the SEC In offense

Jonbo

• Varsity
« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2018, 06:16:14 am »

His bigger problem was his inability to play good defense and solid special teams.

Offense was pretty good in 2015 and 2016. 2015 of course leading the SEC In offense
Completely in retrospect, hindsight, and all that, it appears to me that Beilema, loved as he may have been by players, was lacking in professional diligence, that he kept too little control or focus over the Razorbacks. Hence the mediocre defensive roster, the absolute sucky ST play, etc. But that's just an impressionistic data-less view I have. I supported him the entire time, but he probably should have been let go before he was. If JL had done so, it may have saved his job, depending, of course, on who he hired as a replacement. That said, I'm excited about Morris as head coach. Go, Razorbacks!

Mike Irwin

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
Re: CoAllelly at Manning Passing Academy
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2018, 10:12:21 am »

I did not know that Cole Kelley was at the Manning camp until my sister called me inquiring about "Arkansas' QB who is huge." One of her grandsons, Brenden Giles, is a high school QB in New Mexico. He was at the Manning camp and called her raving about Cole. He said Kelley was hands down the most popular instructor at the camp. Apparently the kids loved him because when it was time to work he was serious but he also knew how to keep things fun.

One morning Cole came out to Brenden's group and when he walked up and said good morning all 12 of them tossed their footballs at him. Apparently he started throwing back in a kind of food fight with footballs. Brenden said it was a fun way to start the day.

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2018, 11:11:50 am »

This is awesome news and I am stoked to hear it. I really want to see Cole man up and TAKE this job as his own.

JIHawg

« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2018, 10:34:49 pm »

I did not know that Cole Kelley was at the Manning camp until my sister called me inquiring about "Arkansas' QB who is huge." One of her grandsons, Brenden Giles, is a high school QB in New Mexico. He was at the Manning camp and called her raving about Cole. He said Kelley was hands down the most popular instructor at the camp. Apparently the kids loved him because when it was time to work he was serious but he also knew how to keep things fun.

One morning Cole came out to Brenden's group and when he walked up and said good morning all 12 of them tossed their footballs at him. Apparently he started throwing back in a kind of food fight with footballs. Brenden said it was a fun way to start the day.

Thanks for sharing.  Love it!

BigBrandonAllenFan

« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2018, 09:29:17 pm »

Pump iron lose 15 lbs and run over people. 

razortrack

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2018, 12:06:47 am »

Yeah they all in the past have commented as such!

Wasn’t this the camp that Austin Allen turn heads and showed out?!

razorsharptusk

• Fightin' Lumberjacks!
« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2018, 07:13:42 am »

Same here.  I'm not throwing rocks at Cole, by any means.  I simply was rather hoping that this thread title indicated that he was going the extra mile to attain the maximum degree of personal efficiency possible. That would have been a truly heartening and gratifying prospect.

I agree.

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Texarkana's finest adult libation a Perfect Patron
« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2018, 08:18:01 am »

Scatter shooting about this thread. 1) Cole did throw one helluva pass on that 70 yarder, or however long it actually was, but 2) Cole had to take 2.5 steps to do it, yet still impressive as it hit a guy in stride that far away IN THE ENDZONE, and 3) I lived in Thibodaux, LA for 2 years...it is the hell-hole of all hell-holes...as a matter of fact I lived right across the road from the Nicholls State stadium...strange how you NEVER heard cheering on Saturday nights down there...oh and number 4) I hope Cole gets to visit THE LIBRARY, a super hot spot for Cajun ladies every night of the week except Sunday. You can have a good time and when the place begins to clear out, there is a Pizzeria who makes pizza that will melt in your mouth along with the Crown and Club Soda...past that, the only thing worth a dam in Thibodaux is the meat market just south of Thibodaux on Hwy 20...They make the absolute best beef jerky ever....David Letterman used to order his jerky from that little meat market called Bourgeois Meats and to this day, some 15 years later, I still get my jerky from there via UPS...and yes it is fresh because they vacuum seal it...anyone in here who likes jerky, give them a call and you'll never eat any other

Razor8

« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2018, 09:39:52 am »

Something I learned in college was the more I helped my classmates the better I knew the material myself. I think Cole being a counselor could possibly do the same.

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I need help with my footwork, too.
« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2018, 11:26:13 am »

I thought Cole's numbers were comparable to AA's Sr. year stats... not bad for a not ready freshman...

Compare to Clint Stoerner's sophomore stats:

173 357 48.5% 2347 yds. 6.6 yds./att. 12 TDs 13 INTs 107.5 Rating

to Cole Kelley's redshirt freshman stats:

87 151 1038 yards 57.6% 6.87 yds./att. 8 TDs 4 INTs 127.5

Here's a rushing comparison:

Stoerner  81 -267 -3.3 avg.  2 TDs

Kelley      53   74   1.4 avg.  2  TDs

Of course, in college, yards lost on sacks are deducted from QB rushing yards.  Cole Kelley is a threat to run, especially between the tackles on the zone read.  If he can average 3 to 5 yards on those plays, the edges will open up on slants, bubble screens, etc.  Safeties may start creeping up to help LBs corral Kelley.  Kelley doesn't have to hit the edges to be an effective runner. 

Craddock and Morris can build an effective offense around Storey or Kelley.  Depth at QB is the best it's been since Tyler Wilson backed up Ryan Mallet.  The last five years have often rested on a healthy first string.

The Hogs are in better shape than most people think at QB.     

liljo

• Senior
« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2018, 11:30:12 am »

Compare to Clint Stoerner's sophomore stats:

173 357 48.5% 2347 yds. 6.6 yds./att. 12 TDs 13 INTs 107.5 Rating

to Cole Kelley's redshirt freshman stats:

87 151 1038 yards 57.6% 6.87 yds./att. 8 TDs 4 INTs 127.5

Here's a rushing comparison:

Stoerner  81 -267 -3.3 avg.  2 TDs

Kelley      53   74   1.4 avg.  2  TDs

Of course, in college, yards lost on sacks are deducted from QB rushing yards.  Cole Kelley is a threat to run, especially between the tackles on the zone read.  If he can average 3 to 5 yards on those plays, the edges will open up on slants, bubble screens, etc.  Safeties may start creeping up to help LBs corral Kelley.  Kelley doesn't have to hit the edges to be an effective runner. 

Craddock and Morris can build an effective offense around Storey or Kelley.  Depth at QB is the best it's been since Tyler Wilson backed up Ryan Mallet.  The last five years have often rested on a healthy first string.

The Hogs are in better shape than most people think at QB.   
Excellent post.

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2018, 11:35:40 am »

Did you see our Oline? Zero chance he had anytime to let that play developed against a defense

https://twitter.com/gdhamrick/status/1010693245465255938?s=21

Look for the flea flicker in a toss up SEC game after we've established the run game. 

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Texarkana's finest adult libation a Perfect Patron
« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2018, 03:25:48 pm »

As far as the flea flicker goes, it's like the Star Trek episode when Kirk fights the Lizard Man Captain of the Agorn ship and Kirk is trying to find all the necessary items to make a home made cannon and Dr. McCoy says, "Spock, can Captain Kirk do it, can he really do it ? And Spock replies to Bones McCoy, "If he has the time, Doctor, IF he has the time"......same way with our strong armed QB this coming Autumn and executing the "flea flicker"....'If he has the time, Coach Morris, IF he has the time'

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2018, 03:49:04 pm »

As far as the flea flicker goes, it's like the Star Trek episode when Kirk fights the Lizard Man Captain of the Agorn ship and Kirk is trying to find all the necessary items to make a home made cannon and Dr. McCoy says, "Spock, can Captain Kirk do it, can he really do it ? And Spock replies to Bones McCoy, "If he has the time, Doctor, IF he has the time"......same way with our strong armed QB this coming Autumn and executing the "flea flicker"....'If he has the time, Coach Morris, IF he has the time'

The Lizard Man’s problem was his 3-minute 40:

lasthog

« Reply #67 on: July 07, 2018, 02:01:12 pm »

I learned half of what I know from Star Trek, the rest from rehab.

Mike_e

• May the woo be with you
« Reply #68 on: July 07, 2018, 03:52:26 pm »

Bielema lost the team? I read and heard only good things about Bielema from the players. So you are saying they did not play hard for him and/or did not believe in his system and leadership? They did not believe they could win or did not want to win for him?

Knowing trees and fruit and all of that.

Good people don't throw others under the bus.

I don't know what happened at halftime at that auburn game but as pointed out by many if the team and the head coach were going in the same direction it was happenstance.

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #69 on: July 10, 2018, 08:55:53 pm »

Just watched the first quarter of this game. Check out SMU’s first possession:

hawaiianhogster

• Band Nerd
« Reply #70 on: July 14, 2018, 04:42:37 pm »

The way I remember Cole Kelly is that he had the bomb throwing arm yet had a tough time with the short passes. Like he threw it too hard. He has to learn how to put touches on those close passes. He always could throw it deep even if it wasn't very successful.

I just looked at some video and got it wrong. I must be thinking of some other QB we had that threw the short passes too hard.

I remember his passes were a little wobbly at times.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 05:12:55 pm by hawaiianhogster »

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #71 on: July 14, 2018, 05:56:55 pm »

The way I remember Cole Kelly is that he had the bomb throwing arm yet had a tough time with the short passes. Like he threw it too hard. He has to learn how to put touches on those close passes. He always could throw it deep even if it wasn't very successful.

I just looked at some video and got it wrong. I must be thinking of some other QB we had that threw the short passes too hard.

I remember his passes were a little wobbly at times.

Ryan Mallett is the one who had trouble with his short and medium length passes. He started out throwing too hard but got better at it and set passing records at Arkansas. Kelley does have the ability to throw a 70 yard bomb though.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas