• 9,980,310 Posts
• 400,529 Topics
• 22,947 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Cole Kelly at Manning Passing Academy  (Read 8414 times)

JaxFlaRazorback

Cole Kelly at Manning Passing Academy
« on: June 22, 2018, 06:52:29 pm »

Kelly is one of ten SEC Quarterbacks working as Counselors at Manning Passing Academy this year.  Saw him proudly wearing a Razorback tee shirt in a short highlight on Monroe, LA local sports news tonight.  He was working with a group of youngsters.

https://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2018/06/manning_passing_academy_counse.html

mckinneyhog5

Re: Cole Kelly at Manning Passing Academy
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 09:30:32 pm »

When I clicked on this thread I was expecting to find out how CK was improving his passing game as a participant rather than a counselor at the Manning camp.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Hawgphat

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 10:48:39 pm »

When I clicked on this thread I was expecting to find out how CK was improving his passing game as a participant rather than a counselor at the Manning camp.

Same here.  I'm not throwing rocks at Cole, by any means.  I simply was rather hoping that this thread title indicated that he was going the extra mile to attain the maximum degree of personal efficiency possible. That would have been a truly heartening and gratifying prospect.

imtad16

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 11:14:50 pm »

Same here.  I'm not throwing rocks at Cole, by any means.  I simply was rather hoping that this thread title indicated that he was going the extra mile to attain the maximum degree of personal efficiency possible. That would have been a truly heartening and gratifying prospect.

I would imagine that these college QB's learn a thing or two themselves while around the Mannings and each other.

PigPusher

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Just another day as a Hog!!!
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2018, 12:30:18 am »

Going to have do all he can muster to retain his present team status. He's got some pretty good guns coming up the road behind him.

ricepig

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2018, 08:43:16 am »

I would imagine that these college QB's learn a thing or two themselves while around the Mannings and each other.

Correct, the counselors have their own sessions/workouts, it's not just Bourbon Street, ask Manziel!

Ex-Trumpet

• Gold Hogvillian
  • When life gives you lemons, get a boob job!
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2018, 08:59:26 am »

Kelly is one of ten SEC Quarterbacks working as Counselors at Manning Passing Academy this year.  Saw him proudly wearing a Razorback tee shirt in a short highlight on Monroe, LA local sports news tonight.  He was working with a group of youngsters.

https://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2018/06/manning_passing_academy_counse.html

Interesting seeing Jalen Hurts listed as he may be the only backup at camp.  ;)

JIHawg

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2018, 02:03:30 pm »

I find it interesting that Cole is our quarterback invited to the camp.  I would think that Morris would have something to do with who gets the invite.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2018, 03:06:54 pm »

I find it interesting that Cole is our quarterback invited to the camp.  I would think that Morris would have something to do with who gets the invite.

No, it's done on an individual basis separate from the University. The Mannings can invite whoever they want to.

jgphillips3

• Life is too short for bad beer.
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2018, 05:29:26 pm »

Not shocking with the Manning connections to Louisiana and the SEC that they would invite Cole who is from Louisiana and started games in the SEC last year.  Good for him.

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2018, 02:27:52 am »

He will be fine.

NEA_HogFan

• Varsity
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2018, 04:35:45 am »

Here's video of his 70 yard bomb during the QB challenge. What an arm... where was this last year?
https://twitter.com/gdhamrick/status/1010693245465255938?s=21

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2018, 07:37:27 am »

Here's video of his 70 yard bomb during the QB challenge. What an arm... where was this last year?

It was there but it was misused by Bielema and his offensive staff. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Cole Kelley is going to surprise a lot of people this year in a good way. That young man has an incredibly strong arm.

Soooie21

• Hogville.net
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2018, 07:45:42 am »

Still, he is not they type qb to run Morris offense..

King Kong

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2018, 07:46:25 am »

Did you see our Oline? Zero chance he had anytime to let that play developed against a defense

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2018, 07:50:35 am »

Pull up some videos of Morris's offense at SMU and notice what style of QB his starter the last 2 years was.

King Kong

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2018, 07:52:10 am »

His arm is perfect for Morris’s offense that takes long ball shot plays every 12 or so plays. He can run he read option with his good straight line speed. Was very successful with it last year in a non read option offense

The 2 things he is missing is command of the offense and accuracy. Both can be taught (the first more so than the latter)

Than being said if he doesn’t improve in those 2 areas he will not start the first game next year.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 08:15:30 am by King Kong »

Athog

• Hogville.net
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2018, 08:37:17 am »

Yeah they all in the past have commented as such!

Farmer Hogget

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2018, 10:58:48 am »

And THAT is why Cole Kelly will be the starter next season.  No one on campus or coming to campus has that kind of arm strength. 

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2018, 12:20:46 pm »

And THAT is why Cole Kelly will be the starter next season.  No one on campus or coming to campus has that kind of arm strength. 

Exactly. Nor do they have the game experience that he does.

Hogindasticks

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2018, 02:38:36 pm »

If he cant run the edge..it wont matter that he can throw.  Game plan will be different than last year and also different from SMU.....outside running on 3rd and long is an absolute must with this offense.

imtad16

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2018, 03:25:09 pm »

The ideal QB for the Morris offense is a dual threat with mobility, but with a non-mobile/pocket passer (Ben Hicks had 79 yards rushing) last season the SMU offense was 14th in total offense and 19th in passing.

I think the future of the offense will be in the hands of a dual threat QB. However, I also think the offense can still be good with Cole Kelly. I will say though that Ben Hicks was in his second full season as the starter and it was season 3 of the Morris offense at SMU so we in all likely hood won't finish as highly statistically on offense that they did, but my point is that the offense can be good without a dual threat.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/total

Hog Fan...DOH!

• Your site for Razorback news.
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2018, 03:31:14 pm »

This is a dark thread and I'm not sure why.  As a RS Freshman, Cole put up decent numbers behind a truly horrendous OL, and more importantly, with WRs who couldn't get open. He had better numbers than Mallett did at UM as a freshman- and was asked to do more.  He gets invited to the Manning camp.  He throws a 70 yard strike.  And yet, nothing but negativity and sarcasm.   

It's a game, folks.  Lighten up. 

Pork Ranger

• Senior
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2018, 03:52:48 pm »

I think Cole will win the job and do decent for us this year. Would love to see him improve in accuracy and pocket awareness. Kid is tough as nails

Dominicanhog

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2018, 04:21:48 pm »

This is a dark thread and I'm not sure why.  As a RS Freshman, Cole put up decent numbers behind a truly horrendous OL, and more importantly, with WRs who couldn't get open. He had better numbers than Mallett did at UM as a freshman- and was asked to do more.  He gets invited to the Manning camp.  He throws a 70 yard strike.  And yet, nothing but negativity and sarcasm.   

It's a game, folks.  Lighten up.

I thought Cole's numbers were comparable to AA's Sr. year stats... not bad for a not ready freshman... I think he'll run more and throw more..  I bet we have a short yd package with him running a few.. 

hoggusamoungus

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2018, 04:40:29 pm »

Thought we weren’t going to discuss negativity and stay positive. Oh well some people have to feel bad to feel good! Gets them more attention!

Wasn't being negative, just recalling what I saw in the Red-White game.  His completion percentage was barely .500 and would have been worse if not for receivers making adjustments to catch some poorly thrown balls. 

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2018, 05:01:44 pm »

Wasn't being negative, just recalling what I saw in the Red-White game.  His completion percentage was barely .500 and would have been worse if not for receivers making adjustments to catch some poorly thrown balls. 

That's interesting. I attended the Red-White game and to me, Cole Kelley was easily the best QB on the field that day. His passes were crisper and got to the receivers faster. There were several times when he had to thread the needle and still completed the pass.

AlmaHog2011

• Hogvillian
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2018, 07:17:57 pm »

Awesome thanks for this!

AlmaHog2011

• Hogvillian
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2018, 07:18:51 pm »

I think Cole will win the job and do decent for us this year. Would love to see him improve in accuracy and pocket awareness. Kid is tough as nails

I also think it will be Cole. He looked good physically.

ballinhog

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2018, 11:23:48 pm »

I just think Cole has the competitive fire and the intangibles you’re looking for in a QB. That’s the reason I think he will be our starter this season. He seems like the type of guy that he could miss 6 straight passes, throw 2 straight picks and could come right back and go 6 for 6 on a game winning drive.

havok

« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2018, 10:17:02 am »

Being that the QB for the vast majority was swarmed under after 1 to 2 seconds.. not much chance for the receiver to get that deep so a thrown can be made.   Looking forward to a Much improved Oline..and spread/motion/Read Options to help nullify some of the pass rush.

JIHawg

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2018, 01:59:13 pm »

Cole will have three games to get ready.  I think he's all SEC waiting to happen.

kodiakisland

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2018, 02:10:55 pm »

Being that the QB for the vast majority was swarmed under after 1 to 2 seconds.. not much chance for the receiver to get that deep so a thrown can be made.   Looking forward to a Much improved Oline..and spread/motion/Read Options to help nullify some of the pass rush.

I look forward to a much improved O line as well, but I don't think we see that this year.  What I do think we see is an offensive scheme that gets rid of the ball quickly and negates some of the O-line deficiencies.  Expect very few 3rd and long play action and very few short yardage delayed runs like we saw over and over the last few years.

ZERO

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2018, 02:37:13 pm »

Thought we weren’t going to discuss negativity and stay positive. Oh well some people have to feel bad to feel good! Gets them more attention!

CK DOES need to work on his accuracy, and his post was clearly lighthearted in tone. I feel hopeful about the future, but our team went 4–8 and we hired a guy with a losing record at SMU to fix it. Sometimes the crying is really just us laughing about it.

tbhogfan

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2018, 03:43:02 pm »

The arm was there.  Pass protection wasn't.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2018, 04:58:44 pm »

CK DOES need to work on his accuracy, and his post was clearly lighthearted in tone. I feel hopeful about the future, but our team went 4–8 and we hired a guy with a losing record at SMU to fix it. Sometimes the crying is really just us laughing about it.

Read my post above. That was a 7-5 team that went 4-8 strictly because of horrible coaching.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2018, 07:20:36 pm »

Read my post above. That was a 7-5 team that went 4-8 strictly because of horrible coaching.

You know, we like to dwell on the notion that Arkansas will never be more than a 7 or 8 win team and statistically over the years, I guess that has been true. But we have had chances to be more than that over the years and just whiffed when the chips were down. Sometimes because of bad breaks, but a lot more often because of bad coaching and poor decisions and that has certainly been true under Bielema.

Take 2013, the first year out of the chutes where we went 3-9. Never should have lost to Rutgers 28-24. Should not have lost to Miss State 24-17 in OT nor to LSU 31-27. Even with the transition, we should have been 6-6 that season. Three wins left on the field.

In 2014, we shouldn’t have lost to A&M 35-28 in OT, to Miss State 17-10 or to Missouri 21-14. Another 3 wins left on the field. Should have been at least a 9 win season if not 10.

In 2015 we left 4 wins on the field with losses to Toledo 16-12, Texas Tech 35-24, A&M 28-21 (in OT again) and finally, to Miss State 51-50. 4 losses left on the field.

During 2016 there was absolutely no reason to have beaten La Tech by just 21-20, but there was certainly no reason to have lost our last 2 games the way we did, 28-24 to Missouri and 35-24 to Virginia Tech. 2 more losses left on the field.

3 more were left on the field in 2017 along with an embarrassing win over Coastal Carolina.

So what is that? 15 wins left on the field over the course of 5 years? We gave away an average of 3 wins each season. Instead of being what we were (29-34) from 2013-2017 we should have been 44-19. Of course had that happened, we might still have Bielema. But if our record were the latter of those two, I doubt that anyone would mind. Still, I'm glad that we are moving on down the road. I'm tired of seeing us leave winnable games on the field.

Hogwild

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2018, 10:01:59 am »

the other New Orleans paper ran a story on Cole in today's paper,

His 6-foot-7, 260-pound frame made him stand out among all the others.But Kelley doesn't want to stand out just for his stature.

He woulds much rather be known for what he does on the field.

He completed 87 of 151 passes for 1,038 yards for eight touchdowns and four interceptions in nine games. He went 2-2 in the two games he started.

He's currently locked in a quarterback battle with Ty Storey for a Razorbacks team looking to bounce back from a rough season when they finished last in the Southeastern Conference West (1-7).

http://www.theadvocate.com/acadiana/sports/article_2f208a60-78d1-11e8-bb10-177a76398379.html

HoginMemphis

« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2018, 11:31:11 am »

You know, we like to dwell on the notion that Arkansas will never be more than a 7 or 8 win team and statistically over the years, I guess that has been true. But we have had chances to be more than that over the years and just whiffed when the chips were down. Sometimes because of bad breaks, but a lot more often because of bad coaching and poor decisions and that has certainly been true under Bielema.

Take 2013, the first year out of the chutes where we went 3-9. Never should have lost to Rutgers 28-24. Should not have lost to Miss State 24-17 in OT nor to LSU 31-27. Even with the transition, we should have been 6-6 that season. Three wins left on the field.

In 2014, we shouldn’t have lost to A&M 35-28 in OT, to Miss State 17-10 or to Missouri 21-14. Another 3 wins left on the field. Should have been at least a 9 win season if not 10.

In 2015 we left 4 wins on the field with losses to Toledo 16-12, Texas Tech 35-24, A&M 28-21 (in OT again) and finally, to Miss State 51-50. 4 losses left on the field.

During 2016 there was absolutely no reason to have beaten La Tech by just 21-20, but there was certainly no reason to have lost our last 2 games the way we did, 28-24 to Missouri and 35-24 to Virginia Tech. 2 more losses left on the field.

3 more were left on the field in 2017 along with an embarrassing win over Coastal Carolina.

So what is that? 15 wins left on the field over the course of 5 years? We gave away an average of 3 wins each season. Instead of being what we were (29-34) from 2013-2017 we should have been 44-19. Of course had that happened, we might still have Bielema. But if our record were the latter of those two, I doubt that anyone would mind. Still, I'm glad that we are moving on down the road. I'm tired of seeing us leave winnable games on the field.
Yeah, every team should win every close game it loses and never lose and close game that it wins by a miracle...a couple Ole Miss games from past several years come to mind. Teams lose due to:

--poor preparation/lack of necessary motivation by coaches and players;
--bad in game coaching and player decisions;
--team having better prepared and/or better talent players;
--team having 2 deep talent that is better than starters for other team.

Arkansas has been guilty of all of that over past 6 seasons. Not just poor coaching and not all worse talent than opponents. You want to ignore statistics and the meaning of the statistical results. Regularly losing close games and regularly barely beating teams at home that Arkansas should beat easily (See La Tech and Coastal Carolina games for recent examples) indicate long term, multiple problems. It does NOT indicate that it is due to one issue. Luck, good or bad, is not involved either.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2018, 11:38:50 am »

Yeah, every team should win every close game it loses and never lose and close game that it wins by a miracle...a couple Ole Miss games from past several years come to mind. Teams lose due to:

Arkansas has been guilty of all of that over past 6 seasons. Not just poor coaching and not all worse talent than opponents. You want to ignore statistics and the meaning of the statistical results. Regularly losing close games and regularly barely beating teams at home that Arkansas should beat easily (See La Tech and Coastal Carolina games for recent examples) indicate long term, multiple problems. It does NOT indicate that it is due to one issue. Luck, good or bad, is not involved either.

It was indeed due to one issue: HORRIBLE COACHING.

RT1941

« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2018, 12:09:00 pm »

Teams lose due to:

Poor Preparation >>> coaching
Poor Motivation  >>> coaching
Poor in-game decision making >>> coaching
Poor in-game decisions by players >>> poor preparation >>>>coaching
Other teams better prepared >>> coaching
Other teams more talented >>> coaching/recruiting

Bottom line here is that poor COACHING leads to poor results, poor in-game decision making, and the inability to prepare your team for the opponent is all on COACHING.  Sub-par talent and lack of depth is a result of consistently poor coaching.

I want to see a team that looks like they know what the hell they should be doing out there.  Players prepared and well coached in the fundamentals of their position.  I want to see a coach that knows how to make in-game decisions at the spur of the moment to help propel his team to success.

I don't think that's too much to ask for.

Nashville Fan

• Welcome to next year!
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2018, 12:11:05 pm »

If you are going to run a QB is the SEC you better have more than one ready to go day one. Even with a pocket passer and a decent line(except last year) AR needed two most years under the last coach.

ZERO

« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2018, 09:38:34 am »

I've said it a hundred times. We may not be top tier, but we've been as middling as we've been because we hired mostly dud coaches and kept one of them for far too long. We're a six or seven win team on average. That could be an eight or nine win team on average if we minimize the very mistakes you mentioned. It may not sound like much, but that primes us to be in a good spot to make a run at the SEC in up years. We're the only one of the four expansion teams to go to the SECCG three times. We've had multiple 10+ win seasons. And we were largely competitive before joining the SEC. It's not like we don't have it in us.

Some of the games you listed were simply close losses and not losses to shennanigans. Those happen. Even the headscratching heartbreakers happen to the best programs. But we lost the '14 A&M game because we had a TD called back for a penalty that didn't even affect the play - all because an OL threw a tantrum. We lost the Alabama game the same year 13-14 because of an unforced fumble at the one centimeter line and a weird missed PAT.

We had BS games like that every year under Bielema. We were there with Petrino. We seem to just make a lot of mistake hires and then commit to them. We'll eventually get that sorted out. And if high school football in the central part of the state ever gets it's act together, that brings us even closer. We may not have the yearly upside of teams like Florida and Alabama, but there's really no reason why we shouldn't make a bowl every year.

Porkys Revenge

« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2018, 10:01:58 am »

This should help you comprehend.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=2ahUKEwjAiNPQjfTbAhUPjq0KHaoxCSIQFjAAegQIAhAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.sbnation.com%2Fplatform%2Famp%2Fcollege-football%2F2017%2F12%2F6%2F16741446%2Fwillie-taggart-florida-state-chad-morris-arkansas&usg=AOvVaw3uKKKoZz_-8C76RMqTN5Mb

ZERO

« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2018, 10:08:04 am »

This should help you comprehend.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=2ahUKEwjAiNPQjfTbAhUPjq0KHaoxCSIQFjAAegQIAhAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.sbnation.com%2Fplatform%2Famp%2Fcollege-football%2F2017%2F12%2F6%2F16741446%2Fwillie-taggart-florida-state-chad-morris-arkansas&usg=AOvVaw3uKKKoZz_-8C76RMqTN5Mb

The fact that Bielema tanked with a sterling record helped me comprehend just fine. I'm not against him as a hire and I have faith he'll do just fine, I don't know why anyone would choose to believe otherwise. But you'll notice activity in MMQB is kind of low and we have a lot of dark humor like the post I defended. It's because we made a very under-the-radar hire with an underwhelming HC resume, even though it's better than it appears on paper. It's not radical or blasphemous.

Porkys Revenge

« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2018, 03:10:57 pm »

The fact that Bielema tanked with a sterling record helped me comprehend just fine. I'm not against him as a hire and I have faith he'll do just fine, I don't know why anyone would choose to believe otherwise. But you'll notice activity in MMQB is kind of low and we have a lot of dark humor like the post I defended. It's because we made a very under-the-radar hire with an underwhelming HC resume, even though it's better than it appears on paper. It's not radical or blasphemous.
Yeah yeah I get it. On paper and in theory the Morris hire looks good - offensive guru w strong recruiting ties in Texas and upgraded defensive staff. But as you pointed out, the same was said about BB with all his 1000 yard rushers, road-grading offensive line and turning 2 stars into JJ Watts.

It would seem that with more of an emphasis on the passing game it would give us a better shot at recruiting game changing QBs and WRs. We havnt had a 1000 yard receiver since 2012. Last year SMU’s top 3 receivers combined for 222 catches for 3137 yards.

Can’t wait to watch Treylon Burks go for 1200+ yards next yr. as a true freshman, it’s going to be fun. And I wouldn’t be surprised to see Mike Woods get close to 1000 this yr.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2018, 04:48:14 pm »

Yeah yeah I get it. On paper and in theory the Morris hire looks good - offensive guru w strong recruiting ties in Texas and upgraded defensive staff. But as you pointed out, the same was said about BB with all his 1000 yard rushers, road-grading offensive line and turning 2 stars into JJ Watts.

It would seem that with more of an emphasis on the passing game it would give us a better shot at recruiting game changing QBs and WRs. We havnt had a 1000 yard receiver since 2012. Last year SMU’s top 3 receivers combined for 222 catches for 3137 yards.

Can’t wait to watch Treylon Burks go for 1200+ yards next yr. as a true freshman, it’s going to be fun. And I wouldn’t be surprised to see Mike Woods get close to 1000 this yr.

I didn't say that about Bret Bielema. I stated that he was a good hire but if he didn't shelve his Big 10 offense and run a form of the spread, he was doomed to failure. I was right about the latter part.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 07:47:13 am by GuvHog »

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2018, 06:09:37 am »

I've said it a hundred times. We may not be top tier, but we've been as middling as we've been because we hired mostly dud coaches and kept one of them for far too long. We're a six or seven win team on average. That could be an eight or nine win team on average if we minimize the very mistakes you mentioned. It may not sound like much, but that primes us to be in a good spot to make a run at the SEC in up years. We're the only one of the four expansion teams to go to the SECCG three times. We've had multiple 10+ win seasons. And we were largely competitive before joining the SEC. It's not like we don't have it in us.

Some of the games you listed were simply close losses and not losses to shennanigans. Those happen. Even the headscratching heartbreakers happen to the best programs. But we lost the '14 A&M game because we had a TD called back for a penalty that didn't even affect the play - all because an OL threw a tantrum. We lost the Alabama game the same year 13-14 because of an unforced fumble at the one centimeter line and a weird missed PAT.

We had BS games like that every year under Bielema. We were there with Petrino. We seem to just make a lot of mistake hires and then commit to them. We'll eventually get that sorted out. And if high school football in the central part of the state ever gets it's act together, that brings us even closer. We may not have the yearly upside of teams like Florida and Alabama, but there's really no reason why we shouldn't make a bowl every year.

If Bielema had managed to win just 50% of those 15 that we shouldn't have lost, we would have had about a 7-5 average over the last 5 years. Would having done that, have saved Bielema's job? Maybe not entirely but it might not have ended in his getting canned when he did because we wouldn't have been 4-8.

Would a 7-5 (sometimes better) average and a bowl game every year (except perhaps year 1) been enough to placate those in power who might have said, "on average, this is about the best that we can usually hope for", and they would have kept Bielema? Maybe. As much as I liked Bielema in a lot of ways, I have doubts that he would have ever been able to get it all worked out because it seemed like he lost the team. That's difficult to overcome once it has occurred.

Frankly, as I said before, I'm glad we are moving on.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 06:22:07 am by MuskogeeHogFan »

HoginMemphis

« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2018, 09:42:01 am »

If Bielema had managed to win just 50% of those 15 that we shouldn't have lost, we would have had about a 7-5 average over the last 5 years. Would having done that, have saved Bielema's job? Maybe not entirely but it might not have ended in his getting canned when he did because we wouldn't have been 4-8.

Would a 7-5 (sometimes better) average and a bowl game every year (except perhaps year 1) been enough to placate those in power who might have said, "on average, this is about the best that we can usually hope for", and they would have kept Bielema? Maybe. As much as I liked Bielema in a lot of ways, I have doubts that he would have ever been able to get it all worked out because it seemed like he lost the team. That's difficult to overcome once it has occurred.

Frankly, as I said before, I'm glad we are moving on.
Bielema lost the team? I read and heard only good things about Bielema from the players. So you are saying they did not play hard for him and/or did not believe in his system and leadership? They did not believe they could win or did not want to win for him?

Superhog1959

• Varsity
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2018, 07:25:28 am »

Just the fact that Cole got invited says something to me. Hanging out with the Mannings cant hurt. Cole is huge, and I see him as a dual threat. Maybe not 70 yards in a flash, but try to stop him for 5 yards, see how that goes for you. It may take some time, but I think he will be fine.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas