• 9,878,249 Posts
• 398,098 Topics
• 22,795 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jaylen Barford signs UDFA deal with the Minnesota Timberwolves?  (Read 4613 times)

Kevin McPherson

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net

* From Hog alum Jaylen Barford @Jbarford1 ... will we see him with Minnesota's summer league team?

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/1010047255481602048

alohawg

Re: Jaylen Barford signs UDFA deal with the Minnesota Timberwolves?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 03:33:11 am »

Do your thing, Jalen. Pulling for you.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Grumpypenguin

• Varsity
Re: NBA Draft
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 09:28:55 am »

Barford is a 2nd round Caliber player and prospect

But I doubt he is drafted because the 2nd round have become a place for drafting Foreign players that will not even come to the NBA for a few years.

Nothing about Barford screams successful in the NBA

BannerMountainMan

Re: Re: NBA Draft
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 10:44:54 am »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Qtj4FcVkCOM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R8AluJQNPL8

NBA needs guys that can take it to the hoop and finish, also if shooting was Barford’s weakness he really picked it up this year improving his percentage big time, someone saying “nothing about Barford screams successful in the NBA” purely hasn’t watched him over the last two seasons

navyhog24

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 11:15:32 am »

Barford is short and not overly quick. He is not a PG at all for how short he is, and most, it not at all, NBA PG's will blow by him with ease. He's not that great of a defender. Short CG's are a dime a dozen. Barford has no shot at the NBA. The same goes for Macon.

razorback1829

• Senior
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 11:21:41 am »

Barford is short and not overly quick. He is not a PG at all for how short he is, and most, it not at all, NBA PG's will blow by him with ease. He's not that great of a defender. Short CG's are a dime a dozen. Barford has no shot at the NBA. The same goes for Macon.

Barford actually tested really good for lateral quickness, which is one reason why teams like him. The fact he’s big enough not to get bullied by bigger guards, and he’ll be able to keep guards in front of him most the time is a good thing. If he gets hot in summer league watch out. You know he can go on a personal run at anytime in the game, another reason he’s getting interest.

razobak

• Calling the Hogs from the top of the Rockies.
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 11:32:16 am »

Jaylen confirmed it on his Twitter account.

https://twitter.com/Jbarford1/status/1010192799210360832

Way to go Jaylen! Best of luck at the next level!

King Kong

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2018, 11:38:01 am »

Same for ever other 2nd round draft pick. Which is why most either never play in a NBA game or are out of the league in 2 years.

He is more than big enough to guard PG’s and score. He is the kid of player that could be the scorer off the bench of a second unit.

Like CJ Watson or Troy Hudson were.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Life as a Politics Mod....
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2018, 11:38:04 am »

He's a nice developmental pickup for my Wolves.

niels_boar

• Senior
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2018, 11:42:31 am »

At 11% body fat Barford wasn't in great shape.  If he gets supremely conditioned, he will be a better athlete than many believe.  He has a frame that can carry muscle.  Vinnie Johnson was 6' 2'' with a similar build and was quite a scorer in the NBA.  Barford is also a better driver than he showed last season.  He can finish in traffic as well as any guard that has played here, but he seemed determined to show the NBA that he could shoot last season.

Kevin McPherson

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2018, 12:51:28 pm »

Barford actually tested really good for lateral quickness, which is one reason why teams like him. The fact he’s big enough not to get bullied by bigger guards, and he’ll be able to keep guards in front of him most the time is a good thing. If he gets hot in summer league watch out. You know he can go on a personal run at anytime in the game, another reason he’s getting interest.

One of the first things I noticed about Barford as an athleticism-plus was his lateral quickness, and CMA commented on it more than once ... combined with his build / bulk, I thought he'd physically wall off guards and be tough to drive on ... BUT it NEVER translated defensively. Offensively, he struggled against long & athletic guards, his handles were subpar, and his feel/court awareness to set up others was also subpar ... combine all that with his lack of measurables compared to today's NBA backcourt players, and it leads me to think he's got a lot of work to do to make himself into an NBA player, which I do believe is possible (eventually) because he's wired to score with vastly improved efficiency. IMO, if he improves handles, works on getting off the ball and moving without it, diversifies his playmaking with improved facilitating game after penetration, buying into D end of the floor, reduce the body fat into what could be one of the most chiseled bodies in the league -- raise the bar on all of that and I think he'll make it.

razorback1829

• Senior
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2018, 01:27:24 pm »

One of the first things I noticed about Barford as an athleticism-plus was his lateral quickness, and CMA commented on it more than once ... combined with his build / bulk, I thought he'd physically wall off guards and be tough to drive on ... BUT it NEVER translated defensively. Offensively, he struggled against long & athletic guards, his handles were subpar, and his feel/court awareness to set up others was also subpar ... combine all that with his lack of measurables compared to today's NBA backcourt players, and it leads me to think he's got a lot of work to do to make himself into an NBA player, which I do believe is possible (eventually) because he's wired to score with vastly improved efficiency. IMO, if he improves handles, works on getting off the ball and moving without it, diversifies his playmaking with improved facilitating game after penetration, buying into D end of the floor, reduce the body fat into what could be one of the most chiseled bodies in the league -- raise the bar on all of that and I think he'll make it.

I agree for the most part with this assessment, and the good thing for Barford is those are things that are all in his control. He gets these things in check, his strengths will show even more.

Kevin McPherson

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2018, 01:39:49 pm »

I agree for the most part with this assessment, and the good thing for Barford is those are things that are all in his control. He gets these things in check, his strengths will show even more.

Agree, was thinking exactly that after I posted it. He can't make his hands bigger, won't grow taller, only so much he can do about improving his vert, etc., but he can improve on all the things I listed. The key is HIM understanding what it will take and then making it happen. He was SOOO much better as a shooter going from junior season to senior campaign, and even during the last 3rd of the season he became more comfortable in spot-up, catch-&-shoot situations and was efficient (a welcome sight because almost everything with JB comes off the bounce).

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2018, 01:56:23 pm »

What typically happens with UDFA? Do they spend the year in the G League?

rolyat_2008

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2018, 02:23:23 pm »

Summer league then either G league or Europe

daprospecta

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2018, 02:38:37 pm »

Two way contracts are starting to become more popular. That is what you want if you a UDFA.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Life as a Politics Mod....
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2018, 02:52:46 pm »

What typically happens with UDFA? Do they spend the year in the G League?

It all depends on the case.    A few make rosters.  Some go G-League.  Some get cut and go to Euroball, or elsewhere.   Two ways, as mentioned, are also popular if you think they're on the verge of being a back of the rotation player.

Kevin McPherson

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2018, 02:58:45 pm »

It all depends on the case.    A few make rosters.  Some go G-League.  Some get cut and go to Euroball, or elsewhere.   Two ways, as mentioned, are also popular if you think they're on the verge of being a back of the rotation player.

Kevin McPherson

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2018, 03:06:35 pm »

* Expect to see Hog alum Jaylen Barford @Jbarford1 in a Minnesota Timberwolves uni in 2 weeks when the NBA Summer League tips off in Las Vegas ... Minnesota's 1st game is against Denver at 10 p.m. CT, Fri, July 6, on @NBATV ...

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/1010213940847173632

husker71

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2018, 06:24:01 pm »

Euro or Asia ball is a great life for few years if you have the talent to get to that level.

hawgball40

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2018, 12:51:32 pm »

i hope he kills it

Kevin McPherson

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2018, 05:37:52 pm »

* Expect to see Hog alum Jaylen Barford @Jbarford1 in a Minnesota Timberwolves uni in 2 weeks when the NBA Summer League tips off in Las Vegas ... Minnesota's 1st game is against Denver at 10 p.m. CT, Fri, July 6, on @NBATV ...

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/1010213940847173632

Jaylen Barford's turn to debut in the NBA Summer League tomorrow night.

rzrbackramsfan

• "Winners never quit, quitters never win"
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2018, 05:39:04 am »

Barford did not play in the T-Wolves 69-70 loss to the Nuggets. 

alohawg

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2018, 01:04:46 pm »

Barford did not play in the T-Wolves 69-70 loss to the Nuggets. 

Saw him on the bench looking anxious to get in.

SPAL

• Administrator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • I like Big Mike and I cannot lie
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2018, 01:16:48 pm »

I have a feeling that grumpypenguin won't be around long.

hawgtahm

« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2018, 07:59:26 pm »

I ran out of breath just reading that.

Soooie21

• Hogville.net
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2018, 08:27:47 am »

Both him and Macon, have the skills to play in the NBA...good luck to both.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas