• 395,957 Topics
• 22,375 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CSU Trip Info  (Read 2459 times)

hoggusamoungus

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
CSU Trip Info
« on: June 21, 2018, 08:04:31 am »

Finalized our trip to Ft. Collins yesterday and thought I would pass along a couple things. 

There have been no commercial flights into Ft. Collins since 2012.  Unless you are going private or charter, got to go into Denver.  We got direct flights from Nashville on Southwest.

Hotel prices near campus are jacked up.  Rooms within a mile or so are as much as $389/night.  We took something about three miles away for $202.

younghog

• Keep em coming
Re: CSU Trip Info
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 11:56:14 am »

Thanks.. The wife and I will be there as well.. I appreciate the hotel insight..

Staying with Friends Friday in Denver then driving in for the 6pm game, if was 2pm I wouldn't even get a room..

GO HOGS

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Cinco de Hogo

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 12:14:52 pm »

Staying in the Mountains, I can drive to anywhere from anywhere so I sure ainít staying in the flatlands.

Now watch they will have an early winter storm dump 3-4 feet of snow in the mountains.

hoggusamoungus

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 12:24:11 pm »

Staying in the Mountains, I can drive to anywhere from anywhere so I sure ainít staying in the flatlands.

Now watch they will have an early winter storm dump 3-4 feet of snow in the mountains.

We're staying in Denver Thursday and Friday nights and may catch a Rockies' game Friday.  Driving down for the game and staying in Ft. Collins on Saturday. 

Cinco de Hogo

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 12:35:45 pm »

We're staying in Denver Thursday and Friday nights and may catch a Rockies' game Friday.  Driving down for the game and staying in Ft. Collins on Saturday.

Have a great time!

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 12:44:09 pm »

Anyone that's having a hard time finding a hotel, try VRBO, lots of properties around Old Town I'm seeing 2 BRs for $100 to $300 a night, nice looking places in walking distance to the restaurants and breweries.

DLUXHOG

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • It'll feel better when it quits hurtin'
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 12:50:14 pm »

Seriously folks , there is not much to Fort Collins AND it is less than 1.5 hours from Denver.   If you have a room in Denver I wouldnít give it up to stay in Fort Collins..... (just think youíd be staying in the equivalent to Lubbock TX)

Cinco de Hogo

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 01:05:51 pm »

Seriously folks , there is not much to Fort Collins AND it is less than 1.5 hours from Denver.   If you have a room in Denver I wouldnít give it up to stay in Fort Collins..... (just think youíd be staying in the equivalent to Lubbock TX)

Different strokes for different folks, some will want to be close for whatever reason, some will favor Denver for whatever reason.  I favor Mountains, lived up there for a few years(above 8000 ft) and vacationed in Colorado many times.  Never in flatlands or cities...for my own reasons.

DLUXHOG

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2018, 11:17:32 am »

Different strokes for different folks, some will want to be close for whatever reason, some will favor Denver for whatever reason.  I favor Mountains, lived up there for a few years(above 8000 ft) and vacationed in Colorado many times.  Never in flatlands or cities...for my own reasons.

uhhhh... Ft Collins ainít exactly in the mountains...   Denver is closer to real mountains....

JIHawg

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2018, 01:26:52 pm »

Pike's Peak is there and you can drive to the top or ride up.  That would probably qualify as a mountain.

You can make an appointment to tour the United States Air Force Academy.  That's a really cool place.  They have one chapel that serves all the world's major religions that you can tour.

Also, you can legally buy mj recreationally there.

Cinco de Hogo

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2018, 01:52:43 pm »

uhhhh... Ft Collins ainít exactly in the mountains...   Denver is closer to real mountains....

Uhhhh...follow 34,36 or 7 west about 35 Miles.  Or 119 out of Boulder to where I used to live. 8000 ft baby!

JIHawg

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2018, 02:18:05 pm »

If you like touring old historical hotels, the Broadmoor is for you.  Allow about an hour or two to tour the building and grounds.  It's too pricy to stay there, around $500/night, but you can have lunch there or just walk around and appreciate the beauty.

tusksincolorado

• Aniston has nothing on me!
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2018, 04:44:56 pm »

Uhhhh...follow 34,36 or 7 west about 35 Miles.  Or 119 out of Boulder to where I used to live. 8000 ft baby!

Talking out the opposite end of his mouth....

tusksincolorado

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2018, 04:57:29 pm »

If you like touring old historical hotels, the Broadmoor is for you.  Allow about an hour or two to tour the building and grounds.  It's too pricy to stay there, around $500/night, but you can have lunch there or just walk around and appreciate the beauty.

Broadmoor is to far south (Springs)....go to the Stanley in Estes Park. Then go up to Rocky Mt Natl Park and check out the Elk rut.

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I need help with my footwork, too.
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2018, 05:02:35 pm »

Pike's Peak is there and you can drive to the top or ride up.  That would probably qualify as a mountain.

You can make an appointment to tour the United States Air Force Academy.  That's a really cool place.  They have one chapel that serves all the world's major religions that you can tour.

You guys are confusing Fort Collins with Colorado Springs.

My plans are to fly to Denver Saturday morning and stay at The Stanley Hotel in Estes Park.  It's about an hour from the CSU campus and on the eastern end of Rocky Mountain National Park.  Planning to drive Trail Ridge Road Sunday and come home Monday.  Well worth an extra day.

Rocky&Boarwinkle

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2018, 05:06:20 pm »

You are confusing Fort Collins with Colorado Springs.  Fort Collins is closer to Cheyenne than Pike's Peak.  It's not too far from Mount Evans.  And unfortunately they closed down the rail line up Pike's Peak this year.  So drive or hike for the near future.

tusksincolorado

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2018, 05:06:31 pm »

My plans are to fly to Denver Saturday morning and stay at The Stanley Hotel in Estes Park.  It's about an hour from the CSU campus and on the eastern end of Rocky Mountain National Park.  Planning to drive Trail Ridge Road Sunday and come home Monday.  Well worth an extra day.

Good plan....hopefully Trail Ridge is not closed for the season.

Cinco de Hogo

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2018, 05:19:12 pm »

Talking out the opposite end of his mouth....

Yeah, Longs Peak which Longmont is named after is viewable from the area and itís one of Coloradoís 14,000 mountains. 

But I think he just didnít understand what I meant by MY comment he responded too.

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I need help with my footwork, too.
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2018, 05:37:37 pm »

Good plan....hopefully Trail Ridge is not closed for the season.

I think itís usually open through September. Gets dicey in October.

Cinco de Hogo

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2018, 05:43:08 pm »

I think itís usually open through September. Gets dicey in October.

Right but it can literally close at any time years round just about.  Iíve took my kids up once in July and the snow plowed out along the road was taller than our van.  A couple years ago one of them took his family in late July early August and it was temporarily  closed.

Cinco de Hogo

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2018, 05:50:23 pm »

A great plan, you know the chili at the Trail Ridge visitors center always taste better than other places for some reason.  Maybe they use Elk meat.

JIHawg

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2018, 05:53:42 pm »

You're right.  My bad.  Ft. Collins is north of Denver.  I was thinking Air Force Academy.

tusksincolorado

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2018, 06:08:33 pm »

You're right.  My bad.  Ft. Collins is north of Denver.  I was thinking Air Force Academy.

Monument...

DLUXHOG

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2018, 03:17:25 pm »

Sir you are on crack....Ft Collins has been listed in the past couple of years as the 1# place to live in the US. Loveland/Ft Collins area is exploding in population. And don't think that staying in Denver and driving to NoCo will only take 90 minutes. 25 North, if you are South of 70, can take you 21/2 to 3 hours because of heavy traffic. You my want to stay out in the DIA hotel area(Ramada, Holiday Inn, etc...), then take E470 to 25N. Hotels may be cheaper and the traffic less (bypasses N Denver suburbs). Or look at hotels in Firestone, Broomfield, Longmont, or north of 120th for a comfortable place to stay. Oh, E470 from the airport is a Toll. Other than that, check out Greeley.

DeLux Put the pipe down and take a nap.

You been there?   I have done business there many times (several weeks in each), as well as Denver, Colo Springs, Boulder, Durango, etc....   for my money, even Durango beats Ft Collins by astronomical proportions.   To each his own I guess....

HogFan219

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2018, 03:36:57 pm »

The wife and I are flying to Denver on Friday to see family, and then driving to Ft. Collins after lunch on Saturday. I booked a room a couple of months ago at a Hilton Garden Inn about 5 miles from campus for $120.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2018, 08:36:49 am »

Trail Ridge road is one of my top ten favorite drives of all time. Years ago when we came out of the park on the western side we were hungry. Stopped in a little pizza joint to eat. It was either in Granby or Fraser but I donít remember which. Anyway I had on a Hog cap. Server comes up and asks if we are from Arkansas. I say yes and he said he had family that lived in Mena.

My brother in law has a house in Evergreen we can stay at. However we might not get to go. Should be right in the middle of building our new house.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2018, 08:38:54 am »

You are confusing Fort Collins with Colorado Springs.  Fort Collins is closer to Cheyenne than Pike's Peak.  It's not too far from Mount Evans.  And unfortunately they closed down the rail line up Pike's Peak this year.  So drive or hike for the near future.

Is the cogwheel rail closed for renovations/maintenance or permanently?

Update. I googled it. Apparently they plan to stay closed this year and reopen in the spring. Repairs, maintenance, etc. The plan is to reopen but they might not have winter operations anymore. Decision hasnít been made yet.

a0ashle

• Hogvillian
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2018, 09:38:54 am »

Iíll be there.

For anyone interested...(sorry for mobile link)

https://m.facebook.com/DenverHogs/#!/DenverHogs/

breeves2245

• Walk-On
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2018, 09:48:12 am »

I plan on making the trip. Drive from Bella Vista to Tulsa for a cheaper flight into Denver on Friday. Rent a car, visit a friend there and go touring around. See if I have enough time to visit Rocky Mtn Nat'l Forest and hit a few micro breweries. Airbnb has plenty of cheap options vs a hotel.

Ain't smoked weed in 30 yrs, may give that a go. But I will need the 1980 variety. I work for a paintball company, so they don't care.

tusksincolorado

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2018, 08:03:28 am »

Does living in Colorado, on 2 different occasions, for 30 years total, count??? Avon, Denver, Evergreen, Littleton, Morrison, and The Springs.

SteamWorks and El Rancho doesn't make a community great.

Maybe you should dog paddle back to the shallow end of the gene pool.....and take your opinion with you.

But each to their own.

George S. Pigton

• Senior
  • www.talkbusiness.net
    • Talk Business & Politics
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2018, 10:53:51 am »

We have about 20 traveling in our party, 4 of us driving out with all of our tailgate gear to show those guys how
the SEC tailgates.  We booked the Hilton there last Nov. for $225/night.  Have a few spots on our list to eat at
and cater some food for the game.  Looking forward to it!

razobak

• Calling the Hogs from the top of the Rockies.
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2018, 12:57:14 pm »

Lots of misinformation going on in this thread regarding Colorado geography. I live in the Denver metro; my wife went to CSU and my niece is currently getting her doctorate there. Fort Collins is located in Northern Colorado, right in the foothills of the Rockies. The Rams no longer play at Hughes Stadium (which was about four miles off-campus, next to Horsetooth Reservoir) and now play at a new on-campus stadium called Canvas Stadium. Haven't been but I hear it's nice. It's still in the high plains and not quite in the foothills yet, with an elevation of around 5,000 ft. FoCo is a city of around 160,000 people and is definitely a college town, with lots to do for those who want that sort of vibe. If you want something more urban, you can stay in the Denver metro and drive up for the game (it's about an hour drive from the northern Denver suburbs of Thornton, Westminster, Northglenn, and Broomfield). Alternatively, if you want to experience the mountains, Estes Park is about an hour away along US 34. Estes Park is a neat little mountain town with lots of shops, eateries, a decent micro brewpub, and quick access to Rocky Mountain National Park, home of one of the tallest of Colorado's fourteeners, Long's Peak.

As for the game, my wife and I will likely just drive up from our home in Aurora. I'm really excited that the Hogs are coming to play the Rams in my back yard.

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2018, 03:08:28 pm »

Lots of misinformation going on in this thread regarding Colorado geography. I live in the Denver metro; my wife went to CSU and my niece is currently getting her doctorate there. Fort Collins is located in Northern Colorado, right in the foothills of the Rockies. The Rams no longer play at Hughes Stadium (which was about four miles off-campus, next to Horsetooth Reservoir) and now play at a new on-campus stadium called Canvas Stadium. Haven't been but I hear it's nice. It's still in the high plains and not quite in the foothills yet, with an elevation of around 5,000 ft. FoCo is a city of around 160,000 people and is definitely a college town, with lots to do for those who want that sort of vibe. If you want something more urban, you can stay in the Denver metro and drive up for the game (it's about an hour drive from the northern Denver suburbs of Thornton, Westminster, Northglenn, and Broomfield). Alternatively, if you want to experience the mountains, Estes Park is about an hour away along US 34. Estes Park is a neat little mountain town with lots of shops, eateries, a decent micro brewpub, and quick access to Rocky Mountain National Park, home of one of the tallest of Colorado's fourteeners, Long's Peak.

As for the game, my wife and I will likely just drive up from our home in Aurora. I'm really excited that the Hogs are coming to play the Rams in my back yard.

I just drove thru there a couple of days ago. Ft Collins is a fine town.

Rocky&Boarwinkle

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2018, 11:18:30 am »

Is the cogwheel rail closed for renovations/maintenance or permanently?

Update. I googled it. Apparently they plan to stay closed this year and reopen in the spring. Repairs, maintenance, etc. The plan is to reopen but they might not have winter operations anymore. Decision hasnít been made yet.
Sorry, hadn't been back on for weeks.  Our daughter is doing a summer internship at CSU and we were going out to see her this summer and go down to Boulder and the Springs, etc.  Wanted to take the rail line up the Peak and saw that it was closed down when I was trying to price it.  Their actual website comes across as leaning towards not reopening at all, but glad to see they are just repairing and scaling back.

breeves2245

• Walk-On
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2018, 03:30:52 pm »

Just bought my ticket from United Airlines out of Tulsa, leaving Friday Sept 7th 11:00 am, returning Sunday 10:00 am. I always hold out hope I can fly out of NWA, really a shame the fares are close to double over Tulsa. Got an airbnb for $45/night two miles from the stadium. Rented a Nissan Frontier to cruise around some Fri/Sat. Total trip cost not too bad. Of course air ticket is non-refundable, so fingers crossed on good weather.

a0ashle

• Hogvillian
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2018, 07:16:49 pm »

Just bought my ticket from United Airlines out of Tulsa, leaving Friday Sept 7th 11:00 am, returning Sunday 10:00 am. I always hold out hope I can fly out of NWA, really a shame the fares are close to double over Tulsa. Got an airbnb for $45/night two miles from the stadium. Rented a Nissan Frontier to cruise around some Fri/Sat. Total trip cost not too bad. Of course air ticket is non-refundable, so fingers crossed on good weather.

I am of the opinion that the fares are double to stick it to business travelers trying to meet with Walmart.

parallaxpig

• Senior
  • Man that ball got outta here in a hurry.
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2018, 05:03:22 pm »

Someone told me today that CSU stadium has a New Belgian beer garden ..sweet. Looking forwards to that.

Lady Razorback

• Varsity
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2018, 09:37:16 am »

I am of the opinion that the fares are double to stick it to business travelers trying to meet with Walmart.

I am in Little Rock but both of my daughters live in Denver.  I have already booked my air travel on Frontier Airlines which has excellent fares and direct flights between Denver and LR.  My ticket was approx. $200 round trip.  We plan on staying in Ft. Collins on Saturday night!  Can't wait!  Go Hogs!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas