• 395,961 Topics
• 22,375 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Cutting the U-verse Cord.....Best options for Razorback football  (Read 4604 times)

007 License To Squeal

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Fmr USAF Combat Crew Titan II Launch Crew Member

Moving to Fate, TX.......I'm leaning toward PlayStation Vue..Orange.....  Are there better alternatives to see Hog football?

KlubhouseKonnected

• OOOOhh, GOOD FOR YOU!
Re: Cutting the U-verse Cord.....Best options for Razorback football
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 11:29:44 am »

Moving to Fate, TX.......I'm leaning toward PlayStation Vue..Orange.....  Are there better alternatives to see Hog football?

Vue has been good for me. Sports package has the bonus of nfl red zone

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

JaketheSnake

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 11:53:12 am »

Any sling users?

Yamahog

• Bench Warmer
  • Hogville.net "Rocks"?
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 12:29:30 pm »

I used to use Sling - it OK, not spectacular. But i will renew my subscription when college football comes around again, since that is one of the few sports I'm interested in.

Dark Helmet Hog

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Now let's see how well you handle it...
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 01:19:54 pm »

007 License To Squeal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 01:26:52 pm »

If I'm reading the site correctly, I can get Sling Orange plus their sports pack for $25 a month?  Looks like that includes SEC and SEC plus.

Dark Helmet Hog

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2018, 01:30:14 pm »

If I'm reading the site correctly, I can get Sling Orange plus their sports pack for $25 a month?  Looks like that includes SEC and SEC plus.

That's what I see too. I just like some of the other channel options on Direct TV better and didn't see them listed on Sling. Fox News for example.

The Great Hambino

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2018, 02:04:57 pm »

YoutubeTV at $35 a month beats all the competition.

KlubhouseKonnected

• OOOOhh, GOOD FOR YOU!
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2018, 02:33:07 pm »

YoutubeTV at $35 a month beats all the competition.

Do they have NFL network/red zone?

razorbrock

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2018, 03:57:11 pm »

Vue has been good for me. Sports package has the bonus of nfl red zone

Love, love, love PS Vue.  Even after the price went to $45.  Don't think I missed a single Hog event last year (FB, BkB, BB, Track).  Also, picture is 1080p, and the online DVR has unlimited storage.

**Mobile app makes live tv and dvr available from any device; Alexa tv remote for Amazon Fire Stick allows for voice commands.

rhames

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2018, 04:09:34 pm »

I just did my yearly threaten to leave direct TV. I even set up a cancel date. 2 hours later they call me and offer me everything plus NFL Sunday ticket for 65/month for a year. 3 TVs.

I have att so I get a $15 dollar credit and a 17.99 credit for hbo/month. As long as they keep doing that I'll be content. The streaming packages are definitely becoming more and more appealing though.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 04:28:57 pm by rhames »

rhames

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2018, 04:11:07 pm »

Love, love, love PS Vue.  Even after the price went to $45.  Don't think I missed a single Hog event last year (FB, BkB, BB, Track).  Also, picture is 1080p, and the online DVR has unlimited storage.

**Mobile app makes live tv and dvr available from any device; Alexa tv remote for Amazon Fire Stick allows for voice commands.

Actually your TV may convert it to 1080p but ESPN broadcasts and shoots in 720p currently. I have a feeling they skip 1080 and go straight to 2160 when/if they change.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 04:35:08 pm by rhames »

Cowtown Hog

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2018, 04:26:21 pm »

Hulu Live works well - $35.

Thunderhog Jr

• Chief Potentate of Pork
  • Global Moderator
  • Just a matter of time.........
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2018, 07:14:45 pm »

Direct TV Now has the best options for the price that I have seen plus cloud DVR.

https://www.directvnow.com/index2?adobe_mc_ref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F&mboxSession=934a36d08b454c5aae0b660c01f266a1

^^^^^^This^^^^^

I cut the cable 3 years ago and have never missed any Razorback sporting event........
It also gives you a TV provider for the ESPN app...........

AirWarren

• Uncommonly, Unfinished Business.
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2018, 08:01:54 pm »

I recently dropped dish. And ATT. Due to awful customer service.

Went with a ROKU stick with a Netflix and Hulu LIVE account. So far I have not missed one hog baseball game through the ESPN app. You can watch ESPN by using your Hulu account as your “tv provider” login. Which is cool. On Hulu live, I have ESPN channels including sec network, big ten network, Fs1 and Fs2. I have the fox sports southwest, cbs sports network and nbc sports. So far, so good.

I bought a digital antenna from Best Buy and I’m able to get all locals and I think 7 other channels.

53$ a month total. About 50$ cheaper than Dish.

Andrew Hogfan

• Senior
  • Wooooo Pig Soiee!!!
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2018, 08:15:27 pm »

I use sling with no issues.  Thru my Xbox one.  I've been very happy for 2 years now.

Boarmonger

• Varsity
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2018, 08:20:05 pm »

The best option is to not cut the cord.  You know you have it there and no need to worry.

Dark Helmet Hog

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2018, 08:29:57 pm »

Direct Tv Now with 60 channels plus HBO and cloud dvr ( I have to have dvr) - $40
Netflix (2 screens) - $11

SooieGeneris

• Senior
  • You don't ever want to be chasin' speed..
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2018, 11:31:21 pm »

I just did my yearly threaten to leave direct TV. I even set up a cancel date. 2 hours later they call me and offer me everything plus NFL Sunday ticket for 65/month for a year. 3 TVs.

I have att so I get a $15 dollar credit and a 17.99 credit for hbo/month. As long as they keep doing that I'll be content. The streaming packages are definitely becoming more and more appealing though.

Maybe I should try that. I'm paying way too much, but I'm afraid if I go to a lower package I would lose CBS sports channel or SEC Network or NFL Network.

Sunday Ticket is still the only way to get Raiders games here most weeks and you have to live in a place where Direct is not available to get it any other way is what I read somewhere..

rhames

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2018, 07:40:45 am »

Maybe I should try that. I'm paying way too much, but I'm afraid if I go to a lower package I would lose CBS sports channel or SEC Network or NFL Network.

Sunday Ticket is still the only way to get Raiders games here most weeks and you have to live in a place where Direct is not available to get it any other way is what I read somewhere..

How long have you been a customer? The longer the better. There was an ama on reddit by someone who used to work for their customer retention that pretty much broke down what they would offer based on how many years you've been with them. If it's over 3 years you should be good to go.

The first person you talk to will be overseas. They will offer you discounts. Don't take them. Do not take them. Proceed and be firm you want to cancel at the end of your billing cycle. Tell them you can get whatever you want through another provider. 

After this call you should receive a call from a San Antino number. They may ask you some questions. Be honest with them. They then will offer you stuff. Sunday ticket is the first plus the 65/month for a year.  Ask for more. Do not be afraid to ask for stuff

I ended up getting stars and showtime for free as well. Just by asking.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
  • The Plaque for Alternates is in the Ladies room.
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2018, 08:04:42 am »

I just cut the DirecTV cord and went to DirecTv NOW. Got a free Apple 4k by prepaying for 3 months ($150 value).

Took the satellite down and hooked up an outdoor OTA antenna in its place and get all the local channels in Full HD. Costs me $50 a month.

If you do DirecTV NOW, be sure to have a streaming box like a firestick, Roku, or apple tv. Don't rely on Chromecast.

Peter Porker

• Love God. Love Others. It's that simple.
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2018, 08:18:11 am »

That's what I have and I am pleased with the service.

ATU HOG

• Senior
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2018, 09:23:09 am »

Went with a ROKU stick with a Netflix and Hulu LIVE account. So far I have not missed one hog baseball game through the ESPN app. You can watch ESPN by using your Hulu account as your “tv provider” login. Which is cool. On Hulu live, I have ESPN channels including sec network, big ten network, Fs1 and Fs2. I have the fox sports southwest, cbs sports network and nbc sports. So far, so good.

I bought a digital antenna from Best Buy and I’m able to get all locals and I think 7 other channels.

1000% agree. I enjoy all the on demand features as well

HogPharmer

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2018, 12:51:23 pm »

That's correct. That's what I use. I've also tried DirectTV Now for 3 months. I cancelled my Sling and tried the Direct because I got (another) free Apple TV just for prepaying 3 months of DirectTV NOW. A brand new Apple TV is ~$180. I got it for free when I paid $105 for 3 months of TV service. I like both providers equally but have switched back to Sling so I could get the SEC Network at a (slightly) cheaper rate.

Grizzlyfan

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2018, 12:57:51 pm »

That's correct. That's what I use. I've also tried DirectTV Now for 3 months. I cancelled my Sling and tried the Direct because I got (another) free Apple TV just for prepaying 3 months of DirectTV NOW. A brand new Apple TV is ~$180. I got it for free when I paid $105 for 3 months of TV service. I like both providers equally but have switched back to Sling so I could get the SEC Network at a (slightly) cheaper rate.
Does your Sling sign-in allow you to sign in to WatchESPN?

HogPharmer

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2018, 01:00:57 pm »

Does your Sling sign-in allow you to sign in to WatchESPN?

Yep. I was at my parents house yesterday and I signed into that app to play the baseball game by the pool on my phone.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2018, 01:50:24 pm »

what kind of dvr service does this get you, if any?

HF#1

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2018, 01:51:26 pm »

I got HULU Live. I like it so far. It's my internet provider that I hate.

007 License To Squeal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2018, 02:18:46 pm »

I got HULU Live. I like it so far. It's my internet provider that I hate.

I cancelled my Uverse TV, and I'm moving only my AT&T internet service to my new home.  The guy at AT&T said I will get my current speed (100 MB/sec) for $50 a month for life.........since this is a new construction area in Fate, it appears that fiber is available.

AirWarren

• Uncommonly, Unfinished Business.
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2018, 03:33:44 pm »

what kind of dvr service does this get you, if any?

We can DVR on Hulu. Not sure about the specifics but we have bing bang theory, Kevin can wait and superstore set to DVR.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2018, 03:59:15 pm »

We can DVR on Hulu. Not sure about the specifics but we have bing bang theory, Kevin can wait and superstore set to DVR.

Cool. DVR access has always been a big drawback for me with some of these services.

HogPharmer

« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2018, 04:50:10 pm »

Cool. DVR access has always been a big drawback for me with some of these services.

DirectTV Now has it now. Don't know how it works or how well it works, but they released it literally the day before I cancelled my service with them and switched back to Sling TV.

breeves2245

• Walk-On
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2018, 04:58:39 pm »

U-Verse two year promo was up and all they offered was it would go up $40 instead of $50 from $70/mo. No soap. Had a very old tv but worked just fine with a cable box converting it from analog to digital. Time to upgrade. Bought a TCL 49" Roku 4K TV for $329. Got YouTube TV for $40/mo. All the sports channels I need including SEC, Fox Sports, Golf Channel, etc. Unlimited DVR.

SooieGeneris

• Senior
  • You don't ever want to be chasin' speed..
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2018, 05:27:41 pm »

How long have you been a customer? The longer the better. There was an ama on reddit by someone who used to work for their customer retention that pretty much broke down what they would offer based on how many years you've been with them. If it's over 3 years you should be good to go.

The first person you talk to will be overseas. They will offer you discounts. Don't take them. Do not take them. Proceed and be firm you want to cancel at the end of your billing cycle. Tell them you can get whatever you want through another provider. 

After this call you should receive a call from a San Antino number. They may ask you some questions. Be honest with them. They then will offer you stuff. Sunday ticket is the first plus the 65/month for a year.  Ask for more. Do not be afraid to ask for stuff

I ended up getting stars and showtime for free as well. Just by asking.

Thanks for the info! I have been with direct about 4.5 years this time. I was with them from 1996-2011 before but had to switch to uverse or cable when I moved to a neighborhood with really tall trees to the south.

I chose uverse and had it from 2011-2014. When I divorced and moved back into the old house in 2014, I went back to directv and got a new customer deal which included a $200 gift card and free Sunday Ticket for a year.

I really don't watch that many channels any more.. I have one smart TV that I can get a lot of stuff on without direct but need to research other options more. It would be inconvenient to have like 5 different providers to save money, so your suggestion seems like the best option for my needs. Thanks again.

HogPharmer

« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2018, 05:44:06 pm »

Thanks for the info! I have been with direct about 4.5 years this time. I was with them from 1996-2011 before but had to switch to uverse or cable when I moved to a neighborhood with really tall trees to the south.

I chose uverse and had it from 2011-2014. When I divorced and moved back into the old house in 2014, I went back to directv and got a new customer deal which included a $200 gift card and free Sunday Ticket for a year.

I really don't watch that many channels any more.. I have one smart TV that I can get a lot of stuff on without direct but need to research other options more. It would be inconvenient to have like 5 different providers to save money, so your suggestion seems like the best option for my needs. Thanks again.

If you don't watch many channels and really do decide to cut the cord, I would highly recommend Sling or DirectTV NOW.

breeves2245

• Walk-On
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2018, 05:58:54 pm »

Double check on that Sling TV about recording SEC or EPSN. Their DVR service could not do that a few weeks ago when I was researching streaming services. It stated so somewhere on the website. Got to have DVR for sporting events to bypass commercials.

rhames

« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2018, 06:26:46 pm »

Sure thing. Really though, like hogppharmer said you may want to look into direct TV now unless you really want Sunday ticket. If it wasn't for that, I would go that route

Streaming is so much easier than even a year ago. You can get most of what you want with one subscription now.

nchogg

• Senior
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2018, 08:15:42 am »

^^^^^^This^^^^^

I cut the cable 3 years ago and have never missed any Razorback sporting event........
It also gives you a TV provider for the ESPN app...........
I did the same and have not missed a game either. My outdoor antenna gets CBS clean no matter the weather and we have had some serious downpours here in FL the last 2 weeks.

systemroot

• Varsity
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2018, 10:55:42 am »

I enjoy using Sling TV. I had nothing but problems with Hulu Live but that was during the infant stages of it so it might be better now.

Thunderhog Jr

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2018, 05:13:56 pm »

I signed up with Directv Now during the initial offering and got the Go Big package, usually $60.00 for 100 channels for $35.00 as long as I don't cancel my account.  I really like the service........

007 License To Squeal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2018, 06:04:18 pm »

I decided to test Sling.  So far, seems pretty good.  However, AT&T told me I could get a $15 discount on Direct TV Now since I have AT&T internet...so I might try them, too.

NaturalStateReb

• Czar of Arkansas
  • Administrator
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2018, 02:26:39 pm »

U-Verse two year promo was up and all they offered was it would go up $40 instead of $50 from $70/mo. No soap. Had a very old tv but worked just fine with a cable box converting it from analog to digital. Time to upgrade. Bought a TCL 49" Roku 4K TV for $329. Got YouTube TV for $40/mo. All the sports channels I need including SEC, Fox Sports, Golf Channel, etc. Unlimited DVR.

I've got one of these TCL Roku tvs.  If you can get over the weird Roku remote, they're a really great value IMO.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2018, 03:37:31 pm »

I will gladly let all you guys be the guinea pigs on this stuff. Personally, I just do not want the hassle of jumping through all the different streaming hoops to get all the stuff I currently watch. Roku, Yahoo, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Youtube, Watch Espn, Sling - I just do not want to try to keep up with all of those accts.

LRRandy

• tOSU
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2018, 04:14:58 pm »

I will gladly let all you guys be the guinea pigs on this stuff. Personally, I just do not want the hassle of jumping through all the different streaming hoops to get all the stuff I currently watch. Roku, Yahoo, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Youtube, Watch Espn, Sling - I just do not want to try to keep up with all of those accts.
that has kind of been my reasoning. Comcast supplied everything I wanted. However, they dropped a sports network that I watched more than ESPN or sec network so I am going to make a change in August.

rhames

« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2018, 09:01:51 am »

You don't need all of that. Hulu and DirecTV now have made if very easy. Just set my dad up last week.

Netflix is like a hbo or premium channel.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2018, 09:20:25 am »

that has kind of been my reasoning. Comcast supplied everything I wanted. However, they dropped a sports network that I watched more than ESPN or sec network so I am going to make a change in August.

I just do not get bent out of shape over paying what I do for my internet/phone/cable bundle. Something that is available 24/7/365. We have 3 tv's, and 3 very different taste in programming. We dvr lots of stuff too. I turn on my tv and it is all there. No having to log in to an acct, no having to remember which service has the channel I want to watch at the moment, etc.

But I am 48, so I am close to the old dog new tricks adage.

Thunderhog Jr

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2018, 10:04:23 am »

I just do not get bent out of shape over paying what I do for my internet/phone/cable bundle. Something that is available 24/7/365. We have 3 tv's, and 3 very different taste in programming. We dvr lots of stuff too. I turn on my tv and it is all there. No having to log in to an acct, no having to remember which service has the channel I want to watch at the moment, etc.

But I am 48, so I am close to the old dog new tricks adage.

Hey, I'm almost 62 and I love my fire tv, you just have to be smarter than what you're working with :P ;)

Porkys Revenge

« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2018, 03:46:34 pm »

Thanks guys. After reading all this I was feeling pumped and decided to call dish and demand that they lower my bill. No dice. They quoted me $120. I told them that’s higher than what I pay now. They said well the plan you signed up under 2 years ago goes out next month.

I guess it’s up to the ATT store tomorrow to try and negotiate w those creeps.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2018, 04:02:31 pm »

Thanks guys. After reading all this I was feeling pumped and decided to call dish and demand that they lower my bill. No dice. They quoted me $120. I told them that’s higher than what I pay now. They said well the plan you signed up under 2 years ago goes out next month.

I guess it’s up to the ATT store tomorrow to try and negotiate w those creeps.

after reading this and other threads, all you have to do is have smart tv, a fire stick, a roku, a hulu acct, a netflix acct, an amazon acct, watch espn app, youtube tv, sling and a digital antenna. And of course internet speed the stream it all.  Why go to the att store?

actually, internet speed was big gripe with att. i had uverse for 6 years and loved the service except for the speed.

rhames

« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2018, 08:55:06 pm »

after reading this and other threads, all you have to do is have smart tv, a fire stick, a roku, a hulu acct, a netflix acct, an amazon acct, watch espn app, youtube tv, sling and a digital antenna. And of course internet speed the stream it all.  Why go to the att store?

actually, internet speed was big gripe with att. i had uverse for 6 years and loved the service except for the speed.

Lol. One account with hulu, or direct TV now, or sling, or insert whatever streaming service gives you all that. Amazon and Netflix are separate things you would have to get anyway. Cable or not.

You can stream things live just as if you were watching cable or satellite

A roku basically makes a non smart TV, smart. Same thing for Amazon firestick

I get wanting to stick with satellite, that's what I'm doing. But at least try to know what you're talking about if you're going to diss something haha.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas