• 9,881,177 Posts
• 398,156 Topics
• 22,802 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: From what Iím hearing about the team and pickup UPDATED  (Read 34519 times)

NCHogz919

• Walk-On
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: From what Iím hearing about the team and pickup UPDATED
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2018, 08:05:31 pm »

Tough crowd lol. I donít care how it looks. As long as heís making shots and shooting with confidence thatís all that matters.

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2018, 10:04:51 pm »

Word is Gabe has changed his body, dude looks like a legit beast

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

MakingPlays

• Senior
« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2018, 11:22:28 pm »

I'm hoping Gabe can develop enough ball skills and improvement on his shot to play at the 3 spot.  The 4 spot will be awfully crowded with him, Bailey, Chaney, and Henderson all competing for minutes there.

Dominicanhog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2018, 06:39:07 am »

Gabe may end up Mike's best project.. size, athleticism and determination...  that's definitely a body transformation... might  be the surprise of the year...

Pinto

• Senior
« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2018, 08:26:36 am »

ehh just the way he releases it, if it works for him then thatís good but prolly wonít ever be over 35% in his career but I hope soo!

Although Iím not agreeing or disagreeing, I heard similar criticism regarding Barford when he arrived

batmanfan

« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2018, 09:21:39 am »

Although Iím not agreeing or disagreeing, I heard similar criticism regarding Barford when he arrived

Pinto what are you hearing on the team/players?

hogwood

• Hogvillian
  • Just Chillin' Like A Villain
« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2018, 09:29:15 am »

Looks like a Javon Franklin in this pic

JackJohnson

« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2018, 09:50:23 am »

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlBoZIRDIT3/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1pypp9z1vqp20

He is really loose on his ball handling, need to tighten that up quite a bit going up against high level D1 pgs.  Every other dribble the ball was up around his shoulders.  You practice how you play so it isnít just Bc he is going through drills...

rzrbackramsfan

• All-American Hogvillian
  • "Winners never quit, quitters never win"
« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2018, 10:17:55 am »

He is really loose on his ball handling, need to tighten that up quite a bit going up against high level D1 pgs.  Every other dribble the ball was up around his shoulders.  You practice how you play so it isnít just Bc he is going through drills...

I noticed that too but I think he is a strong ball handler.  If he is dribbling it up high, Iíd bet there is a reason.  Itís  not like heís loosely dribbling it up high. 

Letsroll1200

« Reply #59 on: July 10, 2018, 11:36:23 am »

draftkings said he can't shoot.., I know it's just a drill but that doesn't look bad..

Not excited about the fade away 3 point ball

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #60 on: July 10, 2018, 11:40:50 am »

I for one am excited for a fresh new group to come through, because all Iíve heard is ďBeard, Cook, Thomas, WatkinsĒ all these guys wouldnít start at UCA, although I think a few of them had good careers here, we will prolly now see 13 guys that could play 30 minutes of Fastest 40

Dominicanhog

« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2018, 04:30:58 pm »

Not excited about the fade away 3 point ball

Mechanics wise, I don't think any of them looked perfect, but I doubt he shoots many of those either way.. he'd be sitting next to Mike.... guess I was looking for a bricklayer from all the post and was surprised.... the net barley ripples on many of those, they didn't bang around the rim before falling..

JackJohnson

« Reply #62 on: July 10, 2018, 05:25:02 pm »

I noticed that too but I think he is a strong ball handler.  If he is dribbling it up high, Iíd bet there is a reason.  Itís  not like heís loosely dribbling it up high. 

Can you have a controlled dribble that goes up to your shoulders?  Anything above the midsection isnít a tight dribble.  As someone who played b-ball through small college and averaged over almost 3 steals per game that high dribble is just asking to be ripped by even an average defender

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #63 on: July 10, 2018, 05:36:13 pm »

Can you have a controlled dribble that goes up to your shoulders?  Anything above the midsection isnít a tight dribble.  As someone who played b-ball through small college and averaged over almost 3 steals per game that high dribble is just asking to be ripped by even an average defender
Well dang Jack we arent in small college ball in here are we.

nwahogfan1

« Reply #64 on: July 10, 2018, 06:32:01 pm »

From what I've gathered, Chaney is the player that has been missing next to Gafford. That combo can secure the interior while our guards take over the perimeter. Could be a really fun team to watch if it all comes together.

Maybe we will have a Villanova type inside game.  6'8ish guys who can rebound inside plus shoot from 15 feet.  I say Go Hogs.

JackJohnson

« Reply #65 on: July 10, 2018, 07:17:44 pm »

Well dang Jack we arent in small college ball in here are we.

I know...we are in major college ball with incredible athletes who will eat that up,  Thanks for proving my point

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #66 on: July 10, 2018, 08:35:51 pm »

I know...we are in major college ball with incredible athletes who will eat that up,  Thanks for proving my point
or we have guys like Jalen Harris who have proven they can take care of the ball, you donít see 3 steals a game much in major college ball

Pinto

• Senior
« Reply #67 on: July 10, 2018, 09:08:36 pm »

Pinto what are you hearing on the team/players?

Most of the things that Kevin and some of the others have been posting on here have been pretty accurate.

rzrbackramsfan

« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2018, 12:01:21 am »

Chris Paul dribbles it up high all the time. 

hawg66

• Senior
« Reply #69 on: July 11, 2018, 07:59:36 am »

Magic says hi

k.c.hawg

« Reply #70 on: July 11, 2018, 08:19:09 am »

Go look at some of his other video. I haven't seen a guy at Arkansas that has this much command of the basketball since Kareem Reid. He will be fine, he might have some unnecessary turnovers due to trying to fit something in that others wouldn't but he is going to make plays that we haven't seen in a long time. Guys are going to get out and run hard on the break because they are going to have a lot of opportunities for fantastic finishes. In 20 minutes a game at New Mexico he had 72 assists and 40 turnovers.....not great but a 1.8/1 ratio from a freshman doesn't indicate someone that is going to get abused because of his dribble. When he's in traffic the ball looks like it's on a string.

HoopS

« Reply #71 on: July 11, 2018, 08:39:05 am »

I think he gets high with it when he knows he has space. But as he penetrates it tightens significantly and fluidly. Not worried.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
  • The Plaque for Alternates is in the Ladies room.
« Reply #72 on: July 11, 2018, 10:50:04 am »

I am expecting Gary Ervin from Jalen Harris.

Pinto

• Senior
« Reply #73 on: July 11, 2018, 11:06:02 am »

Iíve said this before too. Heís a few inches taller than Gary though

Dominicanhog

« Reply #74 on: July 11, 2018, 01:39:14 pm »

Gary could hoop.. a lot is attitude and team chemistry,,,, interesting to see how his speed equates to production...

Cure

• Hogfan at Ohio State Univ
« Reply #75 on: July 11, 2018, 01:59:14 pm »

Gabe may end up Mike's best project.. size, athleticism and determination...  that's definitely a body transformation... might  be the surprise of the year...
If he got a handle and steady jumper, he will be a nice prospect.

MakingPlays

• Senior
« Reply #76 on: July 11, 2018, 08:56:00 pm »

Was the level you played at higher than D1 in the Mountain West Conference?  Because he averaged 2.3 assist to 1.3 TO a game there.  That's not bad at all or signals someone that will get ripped often.

HOGINTENNESSEE

• Ryan Mallett: "I don't get nervous"
« Reply #77 on: July 12, 2018, 12:46:55 pm »

I still can't believe he took and made that GW over Vandy

rzrbackramsfan

Re: From what I’m hearing about the team and pickup UPDATED
« Reply #78 on: July 13, 2018, 01:42:50 am »

I have to say, the more I watch that video of Jalen, the more impressed I am.  He’s gonna dunk on some people this year. 

I’m thinking our best 5 will eventually be

Harris
Joe
Garland
Chaney
Gafford

Defensively that unit should be able to switch every thing and cause havoc with their length. Very solid depth as well. 

The only time I’ve ever not been optimistic on Razorback basketball was before I ur 16-16 year.  But, that being said, I’m really excited about this team.

Dominicanhog

« Reply #79 on: July 13, 2018, 06:16:07 am »

I have to say, the more I watch that video of Jalen, the more impressed I am.  Heís gonna dunk on some people this year. 

Iím thinking our best 5 will eventually be

Harris
Joe
Garland
Chaney
Gafford

Defensively that unit should be able to switch every thing and cause havoc with their length. Very solid depth as well. 

The only time Iíve ever not been optimistic on Razorback basketball was before I ur 16-16 year.  But, that being said, Iím really excited about this team.

Maybe, but I'd put Jones and Embrey in my best 5... one because of KG's status...

Razorod

« Reply #80 on: July 13, 2018, 06:42:13 am »

This year we could wind up with the same record (or close to it) as the 15-16 team. I hope not, but we could. The difference is that the reasons won't be the same and even if they drop some games this team should be a lot of fun to watch.

I do think, if everyone comes back (besides Gafford) and the young pups are as good as many think they are, the 19-20 team could be Anderson's best at Arkansas.

Main things I'll be doing this year are:
1. Appreciating Dan Gafford;
2. Enjoying the young talent; and
3. Projecting next year's team, which could be very good (Sweet Sixteen or better good)

I'm hopeful that this year's team is at least a "bubble" team. I think with Garland we can land on the right side of the bubble or just barely miss the tourney. Without Garland, I think we're most likely an NIT team this season; but again fun and exciting to watch and easy to root for.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 08:42:16 am by Razorod »

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #81 on: July 13, 2018, 08:44:32 am »

This year we could wind up with the same record (or close to it) as the 15-16 team. I hope not, but we could. The difference is that the reasons will be different and even if they drop some games this team should be a lot of fun to watch.

I do think, if everyone comes back (besides Gafford) and the young pups are as good as many think they are, the 19-20 team could be Anderson's best at Arkansas.

Main things I'll be doing this year are:
1. Appreciating Dan Gafford;
2. Enjoying the young talent; and
3. Projecting next year's team, which could be very good (Sweet Sixteen or better good)

I'm hopeful that this year's team is at least a "bubble" team. I think with Garland we can land on the right side of the bubble or just barely miss the tourney. Without Garland, I think we're most likely an NIT team this season; but again fun and exciting to watch and easy to root for.
First of all,

Harris>Durham
Joe<Hannahs
Garland>Bell
Chaney>>>>>>>>>Miles
Gafford>Kingsley

Good bench>>No Bench at all!

15-16 team was awful besides Hannahs, Kingsley duo, Bell had a rough year and our 4 spot was a travesty, we should win 20 games this year with just our hustle and want to these guys have shown with the talent they have.

razorback1829

• Senior
« Reply #82 on: July 13, 2018, 09:04:11 am »

First of all,

Harris>Durham
Joe<Hannahs
Garland>Bell
Chaney>>>>>>>>>Miles
Gafford>Kingsley

15-16 team was awful besides Hannahs, Kingsley duo, Bell had a rough year and our 4 spot was a travesty, we should win 20 games this year with just our hustle and want to these guys have shown with the talent they have.

That team shouldnít of even been .500. This team will be better.

Hawg Red

« Reply #83 on: July 13, 2018, 09:07:35 am »

First of all,

Harris>Durham
Joe<Hannahs
Garland>Bell
Chaney>>>>>>>>>Miles
Gafford>Kingsley

Yeah, so Harris would do well to have a season at #2 in the SEC in assists like Durham did. It's pretty foolish to just assume Harris is better than Durham was. Same with Garland when it comes to Bell (who averaged 16 a game as a senior and shot 44% from 3 -- not sure why you think he had a "rough year"), though they are very different players.

We sure hope players like Harris and Garland end up better than Durham and Bell (and in Garland's case, just play at all), but it's a real disrespect to what Durham and Bell did do that 16-16 season to just check mark the unproven guys over them. We can pretty easily assume Reggie Chaney will be better than Keaton Miles because Keaton Miles didn't do much. Durham and Bell did and our record would have been a lot worse that season without. Along with Kingsley and Dusty, those two were responsible for the Hogs being competitive that season (keep in mind that the Hogs also lost 7 games that season by 5 points or less in addition to winning 16 games). Big time disrespect here.

This year's team should have more depth, no doubt there. And I would like to think that we'll win more than 16 games this season, but you're completely dismissing two players (Durham and Bell) who had pretty good seasons that year in favor of a complete unknown and a relative unknown. That's bad process.

Hawg Red

« Reply #84 on: July 13, 2018, 09:09:01 am »

You're right. They should have 18 or 19 games instead of 16. They were objectively more competitive than their W/L record.

Razorod

« Reply #85 on: July 13, 2018, 10:31:47 am »

Yeah, so Harris would do well to have a season at #2 in the SEC in assists like Durham did. It's pretty foolish to just assume Harris is better than Durham was. Same with Garland when it comes to Bell (who averaged 16 a game as a senior and shot 44% from 3 -- not sure why you think he had a "rough year"), though they are very different players.

We sure hope players like Harris and Garland end up better than Durham and Bell (and in Garland's case, just play at all), but it's a real disrespect to what Durham and Bell did do that 16-16 season to just check mark the unproven guys over them. We can pretty easily assume Reggie Chaney will be better than Keaton Miles because Keaton Miles didn't do much. Durham and Bell did and our record would have been a lot worse that season without. Along with Kingsley and Dusty, those two were responsible for the Hogs being competitive that season (keep in mind that the Hogs also lost 7 games that season by 5 points or less in addition to winning 16 games). Big time disrespect here.

This year's team should have more depth, no doubt there. And I would like to think that we'll win more than 16 games this season, but you're completely dismissing two players (Durham and Bell) who had pretty good seasons that year in favor of a complete unknown and a relative unknown. That's bad process.
I would also add that a different reason why we might end up closer to 16-16 than we'd like to think is difficulty of schedule. Anderson has put together a good OOC schedule (if I recall the OOC in 15-16 wasn't all that tough) and the SEC is stronger now than it was in 15-16.

The 18-19 team could be better, but wind up with a similar record as the 15-16 team. Let's hope not, but hard to dismiss the possibility with what we know at this moment.

At the end of the day, I do think we do better than a 16-16 record. How much better is the question and getting to 20 wins in the regular season would be a nice accomplishment. Getting Garland cleared, imo, makes it more likely that we get there.

ShadowHawg

« Reply #86 on: July 13, 2018, 10:46:52 am »

There are two sides to playing basketball and nearly everyone in this forum discounts defense. The ability to defend is huge in college.

Hannahís and Bell were great offensively and average at best on defense. Everyone on this team can defend better.

I agree wit whoever mentioned the schedule. This team could be better than 15-16 but end up with similar record.

Dominicanhog

« Reply #87 on: July 13, 2018, 10:52:48 am »

I do think we do better than a 16-16 record. How much better is the question and getting to 20 wins in the regular season would be a nice accomplishment.

It in a nutshell.... better athletes, all recruited by Mike, all his style, not plugging holes or playing with what he inherited...   time to execute...

19-12 ..9-9 pre sect is the target in my book.. 20 wins is in, I'd love to do that in a rebuilding year..

razorback1829

• Senior
« Reply #88 on: July 13, 2018, 11:12:59 am »

You're right. They should have 18 or 19 games instead of 16. They were objectively more competitive than their W/L record.

LOL you show you know nothing about the game. That team shouldíve been much worse. One of Coach Andersonís best coaching jobs.

mhuff

« Reply #89 on: July 13, 2018, 11:20:26 am »

There are two sides to playing basketball and nearly everyone in this forum discounts defense. The ability to defend is huge in college.

Hannahís and Bell were great offensively and average at best on defense. Everyone on this team can defend better.

I agree wit whoever mentioned the schedule. This team could be better than 15-16 but end up with similar record.

Definitely the case , but looking at 20 wins before ,SECT

Pinto

• Senior
« Reply #90 on: July 13, 2018, 11:42:40 am »

Probably the most boring Hogs hoop team in recent memory. We had 0 high flyers on that team. Definitely Coach Aís best coaching season here...

Dominicanhog

« Reply #91 on: July 13, 2018, 11:50:01 am »

LOL you show you know nothing about the game. That team shouldíve been much worse. One of Coach Andersonís best coaching jobs.

yep... but I will concede his point, we were more competitive than our overachieving record would indicate.

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #92 on: July 13, 2018, 01:06:59 pm »

yep... but I will concede his point, we were more competitive than our overachieving record would indicate.
we were predicted 9th and got 8th so CMA didnít underachieve, lost a bunch of heartbreakers and beat a #5 A&M team.

Hawg Red

« Reply #93 on: July 13, 2018, 01:38:03 pm »

I agree. It was a great coaching job for him to coach an under-manned team to 16 wins and have a chance to to win more than a handful of others.

Are you capable of having a discussion about basketball where you don't tell the other person that know nothing about the game? People like that are the worst. You're like a composite of every Twitter jackoff that thinks they are hoops smarter than everyone else.

rzrbackramsfan

« Reply #94 on: July 13, 2018, 03:05:01 pm »

First of all,

Harris>Durham
Joe<Hannahs
Garland>Bell
Chaney>>>>>>>>>Miles
Gafford>Kingsley

This. 

That 15-16 team was trash and any intelligent hog fan knew it was going to be out of the gate.  A mixture of bad luck and everything that could go wrong did.

If you want to compare the upcoming team to another CMA team at Arkansas, I think he lowest you could go, with or without Garland, is comparing them to Bobby Portisí freshmen year team:

rzrbackramsfan

« Reply #95 on: July 13, 2018, 03:08:24 pm »

Youíre giving bell and Durham too much credit.  With how many minutes they played and the system, the stats were obviously going to come.  CMA has definitely upgraded.

hawgball40

« Reply #96 on: July 13, 2018, 04:43:20 pm »

If he got a handle and steady jumper, he will be a nice prospect.
his momma said he's been working very hard on his handles over the summer and has become a very strong ball handler. grain of salt tho

Hawg Red

« Reply #97 on: July 13, 2018, 05:10:05 pm »

Youíre giving bell and Durham too much credit.  With how many minutes they played and the system, the stats were obviously going to come.  CMA has definitely upgraded.

Definitely?

What has been shown to show that?

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #98 on: July 13, 2018, 05:31:37 pm »

Definitely?

What has been shown to show that?
top 25 recruiting class for the first time? A bunch of 4 star players coming in? Oh I wonder how

Deep Shoat

• The Artist formerly known as Hong Kong Sooey
« Reply #99 on: July 13, 2018, 05:36:19 pm »

If this class of recruits canít take us to the Elite 8 in the next 3 years, will that be enough to convince us to move on?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas