• 396,175 Topics
• 22,374 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Vegas puts O/U at 6 wins  (Read 4277 times)

Deep Shoat

• All-American Hogvillian
  • The Artist formerly known as Hong Kong Sooey
Re: Vegas puts O/U at 6 wins
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2018, 11:27:14 am »

Funny, in this thread we have people talking about the team will be better due to the players coming back, yet in the Barley transfer thread they are talking about how low the talent level left by BB is.
You do realize those are completely different people, right?

imtad16

« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2018, 12:01:34 pm »

You need to do more research on Colorado state. This will be a serious rebuilding year for them. They lost a lot of starters on both sides of the ball from last year's team along with some assistant coaches and their DC has retired.

So 16 starters from a team that went 4-8 and will be going through a complete philosophy change isn't rebuilding? Not to mention the CSU game is the second game of the season. If it were later in the season, I would think the hogs could win by 2 possessions. This will be a close game IMO.

Who is to say those players will even be the starters? Isn't the fun argument on the board that bielema didn't play the more talented players?

I tend to agree with you both. I do think both programs are in rebuilding mode. CSU is just much worse off though to Guv's point. Mainly I think the difference in this game should be this data from Bill Connelly's SB Nation piece.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/1/31/16950222/2018-ncaa-football-returning-starters-experience

Team                Off    RK   DEF   RK    Total RET   RK
Colorado State  27%  129  44%  122   35%          130
Arkansas           76%   39   66%   58   71%           40

I get the point that our returning production is from a 4-8 team, but that is a huge difference in experience and returning production. If we had a better staff we should have been 6-6 or 7-5 and even with that staff we should have been 6-6 at least (clearly a blessing in-disguise that we didn't though because we probably would have kept BB if we go to a bowl last season and we needed to move on.). So, the difference in returning production is why I think we should blow them out. On September 8th, the Hogs will be still adjusting to the system on offense still of course, but CSU will still be figuring out what it's like playing college football. Plus, I quietly think our defense is going to be really good. So, in summation I think we are in way less rebuilding mode, but Rhames where I do agree with you is we probably find a way to win close even though we have more talent and experience because our program finds a way to do that somehow in these types of games from staff to staff since 1990 or it feels that way.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.
« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2018, 01:25:24 pm »

You do realize those are completely different people, right?

Yes, I just think its funny that we have fans that think the returning talent off a 4-8 team should win 6-8 this year, and others tha think this is the lowest talent level in a couple decades.

rhames

« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2018, 01:28:36 pm »

Yes, I just think its funny that we have fans that think the returning talent off a 4-8 team should win 6-8 this year, and others tha think this is the lowest talent level in a couple decades.

Like all things, the truth is somewhere in the middle

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2018, 01:33:16 pm »

We very well may, but I'm not sure how you can say that with much certainty. Like others have stated- we're dealing with coaching turnover, Bielema players in Morris's system, we were 4-8 last season while almost losing to Coastal Carolina in Fayetteville, and CSU is the second game of the season on the road. We don't have much going for us even if CSU is "rebuilding." The spread will be single digits, probably under a TD.

You need to read the CFN Colorado State preview that's posted in another thread. They have Colorado State going 6-6 at best and that's playing a Mountain West schedule. Even they are predicting that the Hogs will beat Colorado State. It won't be close.

HogPharmer

« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2018, 02:53:38 pm »

Like all things, the truth is somewhere in the middle

I read somewhere that we hired a Malzahn clone (don't remember where). With that, we should be dominant against everyone, regardless of experience or talent.

ricepig

« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2018, 02:55:37 pm »

I read somewhere that we hired a Malzahn clone (don't remember where). With that, we should be dominant against everyone, regardless of experience or talent.

I'll give you a hint, it starts with a G.

rhames

« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2018, 03:13:54 pm »

I have nightmares of just seeing the words "malzahn clone"

widespreadsooie

« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2018, 03:19:36 pm »

You need to read the CFN Colorado State preview that's posted in another thread. They have Colorado State going 6-6 at best and that's playing a Mountain West schedule. Even they are predicting that the Hogs will beat Colorado State. It won't be close.

Iíll trust my gut in regards to the Hogs and college football in general over a profit motivated preview by the media. We shall see in September.

007 License To Squeal

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Fmr USAF Combat Crew Titan II Launch Crew Member
« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2018, 03:32:23 pm »

I'll take the over for a Grand.

HogPharmer

« Reply #60 on: June 15, 2018, 03:34:02 pm »

I have nightmares of just seeing the words "malzahn clone"

Sweater vests and boogers everywhere!

Al Boarland

• Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #61 on: June 15, 2018, 03:35:44 pm »

We very well may, but I'm not sure how you can say that with much certainty. Like others have stated- we're dealing with coaching turnover, Bielema players in Morris's system, we were 4-8 last season while almost losing to Coastal Carolina in Fayetteville, and CSU is the second game of the season on the road. We don't have much going for us even if CSU is "rebuilding." The spread will be single digits, probably under a TD.

I have to agree with Guv here. CSU is one of the few teams we have more talent than. If that game is a struggle you have to start questioning Morris' ability to captain the ship.

Al Boarland

« Reply #62 on: June 15, 2018, 03:37:18 pm »

I don't put a lot of stock in experience when your only experience is getting trucked by everyone.

HogPharmer

« Reply #63 on: June 15, 2018, 03:41:23 pm »

I don't put a lot of stock in experience when your only experience is getting trucked by everyone.

I have to agree with Guv here. CSU is one of the few teams we have more talent than. If that game is a struggle you have to start questioning Morris' ability to captain the ship.

I feel that these two statements are somewhat contradictory.

Al Boarland

« Reply #64 on: June 15, 2018, 03:43:31 pm »

It doesn't matter how bad the starters are as long as they are returning starters.... The fact they are returning automatically makes them better than any NEW starter on Bama's roster.... At least I think that's the point he's trying to make....  ???

You have to understand that many posters here make the assumption everyone will be better.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 01:45:00 pm by Al Boarland »

Al Boarland

« Reply #65 on: June 15, 2018, 03:46:03 pm »

I feel that these two statements are somewhat contradictory.

Not at all. While our program doesn't recruit well relative to our conference we are more talented than a CSU. I base my predictions on talent entering a season. Similar talent? Toss up. Better talent? Win. Less talent? Loss.

carolinahogger

• Senior
« Reply #66 on: June 15, 2018, 03:53:12 pm »

Not to mention the CSU game is the second game of the season. If it were later in the season, I would think the hogs could win by 2 possessions. This will be a close game IMO.

How many points is a possession?  I must have missed a rule change.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #67 on: June 15, 2018, 03:53:19 pm »

Not at all. While our program doesn't recruit well relative to our conference we are more talented than a CSU. I base my predictions on talent entering a season. Similar talent? Toss up. Better talent? Win. Less talent? Loss.

Agreed. Arkansas doesn't have the talent of Alabama, Auburn, or LSU but they have much more talent than Colorado State.

hogfansince79

« Reply #68 on: June 15, 2018, 04:05:03 pm »

Damn it, stop it.  I just took a big drink of water, and almost choked to death.  lol  +1

rhames

« Reply #69 on: June 15, 2018, 05:32:02 pm »

How many points is a possession?  I must have missed a rule change.

9 to 16 would be a 2 possession

Anything within 8 is one.

widespreadsooie

« Reply #70 on: June 15, 2018, 11:09:08 pm »

I'll take the over for a Grand.

Show us that ticket, Big Time

widespreadsooie

« Reply #71 on: June 15, 2018, 11:15:18 pm »

The fact that some think we can go on road in game two against a program whoís been to 5 straight bowl games and win is baffling to me. Donít even consider the fact we almost became the laughing stock of college football last season. These things arenít fixed in the short term.

Salted Pork

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #72 on: June 15, 2018, 11:15:56 pm »

E Ill: W
Colo St: L
N Tex: W
Aub: L
A&M: L
Bama: L
Ole Miss: W
Tulsa: L
Vandy: L
LSU: L
Miss St: L
Mizzou: L

I have us going 3-9. It's gonna be a long season. I predict a few "Fire CCM" threads by Homecoming.

imtad16

« Reply #73 on: June 16, 2018, 12:41:34 am »

The fact that some think we can go on road in game two against a program who’s been to 5 straight bowl games and win is baffling to me. Don’t even consider the fact we almost became the laughing stock of college football last season. These things aren’t fixed in the short term.

First, I would say most fans  think and expect we win that game (As does College Football News... see their prediction of the CSU season below). You may have some argument if you were to change "win" to "blow out". But as discussed a ton already, CSU has the least returning production of any team in FBS next season. I don't know what to expect from this team (Arkansas) because of the QB situation with the new offense but I think we have quite a bit more talent than CSU. CSU lost a lot of players from a 7-6 team and they haven't historically raked in the talent in recruiting (Last 3 recruiting classes ranked 76th, 73rd, and 84th). Plus, I just generally expect us and other SEC teams to beat mediocre Group of 5 conference teams which CSU should be next season. They return their linebackers and that is mainly it. It's different if we were having to play a Memphis, UCF, or Boise State when they are clicking on cylinders. I don't know that we blow out CSU and I could see it being close, but I think we should and do win.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/1/31/16950222/2018-ncaa-football-returning-starters-experience

https://collegefootballnews.com/2018/06/colorado-state-rams-college-football-preview-2018
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 12:53:39 am by imtad16 »

mckinneyhog5

« Reply #74 on: June 16, 2018, 12:55:04 am »

I have us going 3-9. It's gonna be a long season. I predict a few "Fire CCM" threads by Homecoming.
If that's where we end up I'll be one of those "Fire CCM' people.

imtad16

« Reply #75 on: June 16, 2018, 01:06:32 am »

If that's where we end up I'll be one of those "Fire CCM' people.

Well, I don't know think I would be calling for his job, but a loss to CSU, Tulsa, and Vandy(Vandy @home mind you) would be beyond disappointing. I would like to see SaltedPorks explanation for why he thinks we lose those 3. We are just not in the same place we were when Bielema took over and went 3-9. Lots of returning experience from a team that should have been a bowl team. We should have beat Mizzou and Miss State. Those games were botched coaching games. Again, on this side of it, we should be thankful they among other games were botched because it created change. With all that said, our defense could be salty next season. Solid talent in the secondary with Gerald, Sosa, Capps, and Guidry up front (all 4-star recruits) and the LB's led by Greenlaw and Scoota. I just think CSU, Tulsa, and Vandy caliber teams will struggle with Chavis and our returning D.

mckinneyhog5

« Reply #76 on: June 16, 2018, 01:18:53 am »

Well, I don't know think I would be calling for his job, but a loss to CSU, Tulsa, and Vandy(Vandy @home mind you) would be beyond disappointing. I would like to see SaltedPorks explanation for why he thinks we lose those 3. We are just not in the same place we were when Bielema took over and went 3-9. Lots of returning experience from a team that should have been a bowl team. We should have beat Mizzou and Miss State. Those games were botched coaching games. Again, on this side of it, we should be thankful they among other games were botched because it created change. With all that said, our defense could be salty next season. Solid talent in the secondary with Gerald, Sosa, Capps, and Guidry up front (all 4-star recruits) and the LB's led by Greenlaw and Scoota. I just think CSU, Tulsa, and Vandy caliber teams will struggle with Chavis and our returning D.
Sorry but if we lose to any of those teams mentioned then IMHO we made a mistake hiring CCM. Now, I don't believe we will lose to those teams so it's hypothetical to even discuss it at this point.
Now, Bama, Auburn, LSU. No way, no how, do we beat them in CCM's first year. He has a complete pass for those teams by me. 

imtad16

« Reply #77 on: June 16, 2018, 01:37:45 am »

Sorry but if we lose to any of those teams mentioned then IMHO we made a mistake hiring CCM. Now, I don't believe we will lose to those teams so it's hypothetical to even discuss it at this point.
Now, Bama, Auburn, LSU. No way, no how, do we beat them in CCM's first year. He has a complete pass for those teams by me. 

Actually, a lot of experts are down on LSU right now. So, who knows maybe Morris can out coach Orgeron and that game be in the possible SEC upsets on the schedule. They don't have the usual star RB and lots of questions at QB. Plus, that game is in Fayetteville. Things may be different though with Joe Burrow transferring there. He may be the QB they need.

hawg66

• Senior
« Reply #78 on: June 16, 2018, 09:35:27 am »

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #79 on: June 16, 2018, 09:58:14 am »

I think that with the change in scheme and emphasis on both sides of the ball, it is difficult to predict how we will perform this season. I do believe that we have talent on this team and I know that we should have won a lot more last season with a lot of this same talent on the team last season. That's what makes this so difficult to predict. Last season was an implosion that wasn't indicative of our team talent. It was a perfect storm in the worst way.

I think Morris and Chavis will get more out of this team than we saw last year but with the transition it is just difficult to say how that will equate to wins this coming season. There are games we absolutely should win and probably will, there are games that we will probably and most certainly lose, but there are a lot of games that to me at least, are toss-ups that depend on how quickly and how well we transition as a team.

Here is how I see it.

E Illinois:  W
Co State: W
North Tx: W
Auburn:    L
TX A&M:  Toss Up
Alabama:  L
Ole Miss:  Toss Up
Tulsa:      W
Vandy:     W
LSU:        Toss Up (leaning towards a loss)
Miss St:    L
Missouri:   W

Key games: The Toss-Up's.

mckinneyhog5

« Reply #80 on: June 16, 2018, 10:15:08 am »

Actually, a lot of experts are down on LSU right now. So, who knows maybe Morris can out coach Orgeron and that game be in the possible SEC upsets on the schedule. They don't have the usual star RB and lots of questions at QB. Plus, that game is in Fayetteville. Things may be different though with Joe Burrow transferring there. He may be the QB they need.
I'm not saying we couldn't beat them, only that if we don't, it's not expected that we do.

Sed76

• Hogvillian
« Reply #81 on: June 16, 2018, 10:23:32 am »

Sweater vests, boogers and visors...an ESPN 30 for 30 coming soon.

imtad16

« Reply #82 on: June 16, 2018, 12:08:55 pm »

I'm not saying we couldn't beat them, only that if we don't, it's not expected that we do.

I see what you mean. Yeah I agree on that.

I think that with the change in scheme and emphasis on both sides of the ball, it is difficult to predict how we will perform this season. I do believe that we have talent on this team and I know that we should have won a lot more last season with a lot of this same talent on the team last season. That's what makes this so difficult to predict. Last season was an implosion that wasn't indicative of our team talent. It was a perfect storm in the worst way.

I think Morris and Chavis will get more out of this team than we saw last year but with the transition it is just difficult to say how that will equate to wins this coming season. There are games we absolutely should win and probably will, there are games that we will probably and most certainly lose, but there are a lot of games that to me at least, are toss-ups that depend on how quickly and how well we transition as a team.

Here is how I see it.

This is exactly where I'm at.

Dark Helmet Hog

• Now let's see how well you handle it...
« Reply #83 on: June 16, 2018, 03:28:13 pm »

Here is how I see it.

Good breakdown but I don't think Miss St is an automatic loss. They have their own questions to answer and they aren't that much more talented. They have been better coached but he's not there now.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #84 on: June 16, 2018, 03:48:05 pm »

Good breakdown but I don't think Miss St is an automatic loss. They have their own questions to answer and they aren't that much more talented. They have been better coached but he's not there now.

The only thing that concerns me about Miss State is that they have so much returning production from last year. Granted, there is a change in HC's and therefore there could be a change in philosophy to some extent, but they have more seasoned talent to work with and that could be the difference.

HogInOklahoma

• Band Nerd
« Reply #85 on: June 16, 2018, 06:05:22 pm »

We go 4-8 mext year but improve in year 2 once the system is in place.

rhames

« Reply #86 on: June 16, 2018, 06:19:21 pm »

Mississippi State will be our third toughest conference game outside of Alabama and Auburn if they stay healthy.

CFB_Fanatic

• Senior
« Reply #87 on: June 19, 2018, 11:38:22 pm »

I have us 4-8 but for the most part I completely agree

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I need help with my footwork, too.
« Reply #88 on: June 20, 2018, 06:51:59 am »

Here is how I see it.

Youíll remember discussing all the question marks leading into last season with a front-loaded schedule. This season isnít that difficult to predict. Arkansas SERIOUSLY outclasses the four non-conference teams on the schedule. Altitude?  Give me a break.

We arenít losing to Vanderbilt at home. David Cutler graduated. I doubt Chad Morris goes for it on 4th and 1 from his own 28 in the first quarter.

Ole Miss shouldnít be a toss up. Ole Miss could beat us, but it should be a win.

I think Missouri should be favored, but we could win.

I agree on the other toss ups and think A&M is the one we are most likely to win.

Take the over.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #89 on: June 20, 2018, 08:33:01 am »

I have us 4-8 but for the most part I completely agree

Well I disagree. Here's how I see it:

Eastern Illinois' - W

Colorado State - W

North Texas - W

Auburn - L

Texas A&M - Toss Up

Alabama - L

Ole Miss - W

Tulsa - W

Vanderbuilt - W

LSU - L

Mississippi State - Toss UP

Missouri - Toss Up.

I don't see any way this Hog team wins less than 6 games with a schedule that favorable.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 09:26:44 am by GuvHog »

Hogwild

« Reply #90 on: June 20, 2018, 08:52:32 am »

CBS says bet the under

ARKANSAS 6 wins:

Odds don't look great for Chad Morris' first year as coach of the Arkansas Razorbacks. The combination of a new system, no established quarterback and a defense that lacks depth and difference-makers makes it hard to trust the Hogs even if Morris is the right coach long-term. The good news as that the non-conference schedule isn't difficult; they draw Vanderbilt as the rotating cross-division opponent and Missouri as the permanent cross-division game. A push seems like the most likely play here, but I'll err on the side of Arkansas getting upset once.

-- Over EVEN, Under -120

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #91 on: June 20, 2018, 09:29:56 am »

CBS says bet the under

A lot of people are underestimating this Hog defense and this person from CBS is one of them.

oldman1015

« Reply #92 on: June 20, 2018, 09:31:26 am »

A lot of people are underestimating this Hog defense and this person from CBS is one of them.
Did we get faster from last year?

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #93 on: June 20, 2018, 09:35:42 am »

Losing weight  has made the players a little faster and quicker. Also, they are returning to the defensive system that they were recruited to play and the DC is one of the best in college football.

ricepig

« Reply #94 on: June 20, 2018, 09:54:41 am »

Well, Pulley returns and he's faster than his replacement who has moved to safety and is faster than who he replaced. Plus, we recruited some freshmen who are faster, I don't know if we are any faster on the DL, and probably the same at LB.

hogcards

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • The Glimmer Twins
« Reply #95 on: June 20, 2018, 10:01:34 am »

Based on that analogy, the Hogs should always be 4-8.

...and wait a minute, I thought Bielema was "building things the right way, with a solid foundation so that the turnover in players that graduate, would be filled promptly"?

So, is the new mantra here that Bielema actually didn't do a good job of recruiting and building this "solid foundation"?

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #96 on: June 20, 2018, 10:49:12 am »

I think itís funny that someone who has watched college football as long as you have thinks every season sets up the same way.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.
« Reply #97 on: June 20, 2018, 11:34:31 am »

I think itís funny that someone who has watched college football as long as you have thinks every season sets up the same way.

I don't think that at all. I have already said I think this is a 6-7 win team. My point was it is just odd we have fans that think based on returning talent this is a 8 win team, while others think this is the least returning talent in many years.

My take is the schedule is a little softer. They should go 4-0 in ooc ( although the CSU game just makes me uneasy due to date and location ), should beat Vandy, and should split with the Miss schools. That gets 6 right there. I don't think they have the horses to beat Bama/LSu/Aub. That leaves A&m and Mizzu as toss ups. A split there and it's 7 wins. 

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #98 on: June 20, 2018, 11:47:35 am »

I don't think that at all. I have already said I think this is a 6-7 win team. My point was it is just odd we have fans that think based on returning talent this is a 8 win team, while others think this is the least returning talent in many years.

My take is the schedule is a little softer. They should go 4-0 in ooc ( although the CSU game just makes me uneasy due to date and location ), should beat Vandy, and should split with the Miss schools. That gets 6 right there. I don't think they have the horses to beat Bama/LSu/Aub. That leaves A&m and Mizzu as toss ups. A split there and it's 7 wins. 

Pretty much the way I see it. Eight wins is possible, though. Saying itís possible and saying itís expected are different. Weíll probably be favored in six games. Six wins is the right betting number. But there are four other games that are winnable, and thatís based on talent.

Last year was one of those years that happen in college football. The 4-8 record was not an indication of the talent on the roster. Nor was the bad game against Coastal Carolina. We all know there were several factors that led to a disastrous season. But it wasnít about talent. Had TCU and A&M gone the other way, and they could have, weíd have gone into Mississippi State no worse than 6-4. 75,000 fans would have made a big difference in two close losses to end the year. There was enough talent last year to be an 8 win team. The season just got away early. It happens.

The reasons why Arkansas went 4-8 last year is why you take the over this year. Those, and the favorable schedule.

Deep Shoat

• The Artist formerly known as Hong Kong Sooey
« Reply #99 on: June 20, 2018, 12:36:02 pm »

If Chavis is still the Chief, yes.

Josh Liddell ran a 4.5 at the combine.  That ainít slow.  But he never played 4.5.  Heck, he might not have played 5.5. 

Making the D an attacking D with less and simpler reads will make us play faster.  Thatís what the Chief does.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas