• 9,882,465 Posts
• 398,195 Topics
• 22,806 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I am working on the Recruiting forum to add more items and take some away  (Read 2068 times)

Lanny

This is your site.

What would you like to see more of in recruiting and less?

Thanks,

Only serious post allowed, others will be deleted.

cc

List of current offers for future classes.  Like the 2019 offers, 2020, etc.  I understand that we may not know all of them that are out.  I also know that there may be a site out there with that info, but I would like to see it here.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

LRrazorback

More free articles from RD. Anyway you can make that happen?

Cinco de Hogo

Is there any way we could have our own recruiting guru?  I was on another free board sometime back and there were one or two guys that really knew their stuff.  That’s why I stayed so long because the General sports discussion was generally about the weather etc...

My suggestion would be an upper grade journalism student that is inclined toward sports.  It would be great experience for such a person and something to take into a future job interview.

You would have to have a clear definition of what their boundaries were, for instance Davenport never gets into general discussion he just brings news and some facts and figures etc.

You might get some benifit from an intern position an it cost you little to nothing or it might be strictly voluntary as I think the one on the other board I spoke of was.

Peter Porker

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Love God. Love Others. It's that simple.

Volnation has a single post for each player. That'd be great to have one discussion about the player in one post instead of multiple post about the same player. Keeps the board clean as well.

Peter Porker

• Love God. Love Others. It's that simple.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
  • The Plaque for Alternates is in the Ladies room.

Volnation has a single post for each player. That'd be great to have one discussion about the player in one post instead of multiple post about the same player. Keeps the board clean as well.

Yes...this! Especially in the basketball forum. Merge all topics for a recruit under one thread.

31to6

This is your site.

What would you like to see more of in recruiting and less?

Thanks,

Only serious post allowed, others will be deleted.
Seriously, and only in recruiting, I would appreciate stricter moderation.

Feature-wise anything that increases the signal to noise ratio.

One thing that many message boards have is a “correct answer” flag that changes the color of that post or otherwise highlights it. This would not be for *opinions* but for posts that are factually correct because it links to a verifiable source or otherwise is substantiated.  It would really help wading through long threads to try to find out if we are still in a Top X list or if the recruit is still visiting.

Another feature that would be cool is a status sidebar in a recruited thread. That sidebar could both have info and links (to 247 profile, Hull, etc) and it could also have relevant Arkansas specific info like offer status, list of visits and upcoming visit dates, etc.

CollinsvilleHawg

• Varsity
  • Sometimes they get full!

Take this for what’s its worth. But I’m the person who checks in every day in the recruiting page for topics that appear interesting. Call it ADHD or whatever but I do not want to file through tons of pages to read everything under the sun just I get to something new. I like the 20 different headings for one recruit. All have their own flavor and it makes it interesting. IMO I think it will turn off a lot of people to everything in one topic per recruit. Too much info to weed through. Plus a lot of useless rhetoric like “Stanford degree is better than an Arkansas degree”. That has nothing to do with the recruit. It’s sidebar chat. Interesting but sidebar. Hope I didn’t offend anyone. I tend to do that a lot to people. Just my two cents worth. Thanks for this awesome board!!!!

ricepig

Really, without a dedicated recruiting writer, it's going to be hard to do more than you are. The pay boards have been going crazy since last night when Darius Thomas said that OM, Georgia, and Memphis were the three schools he was considering. No mention on here.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors

Seriously, and only in recruiting, I would appreciate stricter moderation.

This

Deep Shoat

• The Artist formerly known as Hong Kong Sooey

Really, without a dedicated recruiting writer, it's going to be hard to do more than you are. The pay boards have been going crazy since last night when Darius Thomas said that OM, Georgia, and Memphis were the three schools he was considering. No mention on here.
Not being in his top 5 should have clued folks in we wouldn’t be in his top 3...

ricepig

Not being in his top 5 should have clued folks in we wouldn’t be in his top 3...

Well, truthfully, he didn't name a top 5, only 4, haha.

Hopeful Hog

I'm not sure if this is what you're talking about but I have a few suggestions for the site in general. I only use mobile btw so it may be different on a PC.

1. I would like to see the date of when the original thread was created, not just the date of the last post in that thread.

2. I would also enjoy an alert system of some sort when someone "quotes" me. Second part of that would be to be able to immediately go to that post instead of mindlessly grinding through page after page trying to find the reply.

3. Also, once again on mobile here, the fact that anything longer than a handful of words will not fit on the page without having to turn my phone sideways is very annoying.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 01:11:32 pm by Hopeful Hog »

Cinco de Hogo

Wow we’ve agreed twice in one day !

J Man

• Varsity
  • Nutty boy - Ole Piss trash boy!!!

Please stop the threads that are nothing more than a link to a pay site such as Whole Hog Sports.   It's a waste of time on a free board to clink on what sounds like something you want to read, and it not be available to you.

Hopeful Hog

Please stop the threads that are nothing more than a link to a pay site such as Whole Hog Sports.   It's a waste of time on a free board to clink on what sounds like something you want to read, and it not be available to you.

I very much agree with this ^^^

But you have to keep in mind RD is a valuable resource here so they're gonna keep him happy by sending as many clicks his way as possible. I honestly don't blame them.

farmhawg

Less BREAKING NEWS in the basketball forum. You look on there and half the threads say that and it’s annoying.

Lanny

Thanks for input, keep the ideas coming

nwahogfan1

List our recruits who will visit our campus.  To me the ones who will visit are only the ones we have any kind of chance of getting. 

Our   "A" list and a "B" list  by position.

sickboy

To me, recruiting is about names. You track names over the course of years based on the heat they are getting nationally and, more importantly, the heat the Hogs are showing them. This is probably not feasible at all, but something like this:

Header:
1. Offers (by year)
2. Visits Scheduled
3. Crystal Ball meter to show which recruits are getting crystal balls on 247 to show who's high on the Hogs and who's low.
4. General Recruiting Conversation.

Then the forum should be focused on players. So all the thread titles when you click on the front page could be players names, positions, measurables and high school. And when you click on the player's name, it opens up a sub forum of conversations that are collated by most recent. That way, you can kind of visually look at the forum and see which players are tracking heat, because they are the ones mostly being talked about. You can kind of watch names rise and fall as the conversations about them shift throughout the years.

As it is, I have to sift through tons of articles with snippets about a player, but it's hard to do that.

General recruiting conversations can be sent to the "general" section that's posted at the header.

But that's just me. The point is -- more focus on players and organizing information into central places for those players so I don't have to sift through a search.

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.

This is clearly your best ever post.

So, Lanny,
Football and Basketball forum, por favor, Mr Hogville Superstar!

HogPhilosophy

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net

I would like to see a weekly Top 25 power ranking of recruits who are most likely to commit. I made the suggestion to SEC Country, and they kind of do it, but it could be more detailed (contain update information on their recent visits/interviews)

AugustaHog

• Surfing the web at Hogville.net

This forum needs information.  I completely understand that recruiting has very much become a subscription game and we were super blessed with all the free stuff we got through RD in the past.  Perhaps there's a very level-headed poster (or group of posters) who has the time to organize and pass along relevant info. (without it being stealing of said info. from pay sites).  I could see this being someone who could seek out official interviews through facebook or Twitter.  Obviously, this would need to be someone who is professional and represents our fanbase in a good way.

Cinco de Hogo

Can Hogville get media credentials for a Writer/Guru?

Biggus Piggus

• Escaped Journalist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville: The mosh pit of Razorbackland

A lot of those stories are free if your cookies are clean.

sickboy

The internet is hard.

Richard Davenport

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • TRD - The Recruiting Dog

FWIW, I only post the free links.

ricepig

No chocolate chips?

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.

ummm, must not be important enough for your two mouse clicks to clear out your cookies, huh?

Oklahawg

• Resident Optimistic Pragmatist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Pop Music at It's Finest

Maybe we can hardwire a chart or grid that pops up at the top. A set of names - click on the names for the thread(s) dedicated to them and their recruiting. Then, those listed below the grid would ONLY be those about general recruiting, weekend visit lists, etc.

Hard to moderate those who don't respect the rules to begin with. I ramp up my efforts periodically but it is exhausting. Thanks for the support on that idea, though!

Beavthompson

The recruiting page went dead when the mods lost control of it. Every post ends up a battle of he’s a sunshine pumper or he’s a realist. Oklahawg and other uses to write reports on players but everybody felt free to bash them over recruits that didn’t pan out. Nobody wants to write out a detailed post to be derailed with same argument that was in the in another post. Then the whole topic gets deleted because of the same people. Sorry for the ramble.
P.S. it’s already happening in this thread. Maybe people should pm each other instead of hijacking threads

Lanny

Great ideas and you will see mome major changes soon
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas