Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Maui  (Read 696 times)

hogfan870

Maui
« on: June 07, 2018, 04:07:45 pm »

Going next month - have a couple of kind of specific questions:

1. Does anyone have any recommendations for a snorkeling tour of the Molokini Crater?  The prices seem to vary widely ($40/person to $140/person).  I don't want to be on a boat with a million people, but I also don't want to pay twice as much for no reason.

2. Does anyone know anything about the hike to Honomanu Falls?  It is on the road to Hana and seems to be a very well guarded secret among the locals.  It looks awesome, but I haven't been able to find much about it online.  I think they keep it that way on purpose.  I have even emailed several local guides and they act like they don't know what I am talking about.  I just want to know how long the hike is, maybe elevation change, so I know how long it will take.  (If you want to DM me with info - that would be great also.)

Any other recommendations would be great - we are staying at the Hotel Wailea and have a reservation for sunrise on the volcano.   

ReservoirHog

Re: Maui
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 11:56:12 am »

1. Does anyone have any recommendations for a snorkeling tour of the Molokini Crater?  The prices seem to vary widely ($40/person to $140/person).  I don't want to be on a boat with a million people, but I also don't want to pay twice as much for no reason.

2. Does anyone know anything about the hike to Honomanu Falls?  It is on the road to Hana and seems to be a very well guarded secret among the locals.  It looks awesome, but I haven't been able to find much about it online.  I think they keep it that way on purpose.  I have even emailed several local guides and they act like they don't know what I am talking about.  I just want to know how long the hike is, maybe elevation change, so I know how long it will take.  (If you want to DM me with info - that would be great also.)

Any other recommendations would be great - we are staying at the Hotel Wailea and have a reservation for sunrise on the volcano.   

Just got back from Maui a couple weeks ago.

We did the Maui Magic trip to Molokini. It's a bit pricey but it's a smaller vessel and not as kid-friendly, which is what my wife and I were looking for. The crew were nice and helpful. We ran into really choppy conditions, so they improvised our second snorkel site after Molokini, and that ended up being Makena State Beach - it was sad, as the coral was mostly dead and the water was heavily trafficked with snorkelers and kayakers. But overall, a good outfit to ride with.

Not familiar with Honomanu, but we did Road to Hana and my only recommendation would be to get on the road early, like 6 or 6:30am at the latest, unless you want to deal with tons of traffic and tourists at every overlook and waterfall. It's nuts. Some of the areas were closed off due to recent rock and land slides, so you may just do some research before committing to a spot.

Sunrise at Haleakala was incredible. My wife and I hiked 20 miles down and across the crater that day. The highlight of the whole trip for me. If you stick around, be sure to wear sunscreen. It's intense up there.

Monkeypod Kitchen in Wailea was the best restaurant by far, and we ended up going back a few times. It's that good. Be sure to make reservations if you go for dinner, as it gets really crowded. Flatbread in Paia was a close second - really phenomenal pizzas, sourced with organic and natural local ingredients. Good beer selection too.

Lahaina is a touristy cluster and we didn't really enjoy it. We are more outdoorsy/active, so we enjoyed hiking and exploring more than shopping and luaus and such. The Hoapili Trail at the far end of the Makena Road is really special if you get the chance. We enjoyed the beaches around Wailea/Makena the most, although the weather patterns we experienced provided more consistent sunshine up around Lahaina. Kihei/Wailea got a lot of cloud cover by lunchtime into the afternoons, so just something to consider. The Seven Sacred Pools were closed due to slides, as were parts of Iao Needle area. Waianapanapa State Park near Hana is worth a stop and features the only volcanic black sand beach on the island. There's a walking trail along the coast that is really cool too.

Overall, one of my all-time favorite trips. Any other questions, let me know.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Boog41

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 04:14:47 pm »

Do any early morning excursions the first day, or two that you are there. Because of the time change, you will be awake at 4:00 AM no matter what anyway.

wanderer

• Walk-On
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 06:18:54 pm »

Often the Molokini snorkel tours end up not going to Molokini because of the ocean conditions.  No refunds!  They just substitute another (inferior) site, which is often one you can get to yourself from shore.

Many experts consider Molokini to be over-rated, overused, and too crowded.

As for the hike, make sure it's not one that goes over private lands.

Have a great time on Maui.  Hawai`i is beautiful.

galactivation

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 07:17:22 pm »

Little beach on Sunday afternoons are always interesting

Slaughterhouse by Honolua bay is probably my favorite beach on Maui, DT Fleming beach over there isn't bad either.
Red Sands Beach Hana Side is spectacular, but a small hike. Wouldn't take kids.

Driving around the West side always seems to get forgotten. It's a pretty drive, cool blowhole, and above beaches + Maui brewing company.

Road to Hana I'd recommend bamboo forest hike swimming to the 3rd waterfall, 7 sacred pools / pipiwai,

Honopou has a really pretty waterfall.
Twin falls is always crowded, but if you go right by the kamaiana sign there's another rad waterfall. Nice cliff jumping.

As far as food, don't forget to grab poke bowls from Safeway or foodland. Can't beat it.

Have fun

And snorkeling I'd give my friends Jess & Steven at Maui Diving & snorkeling a call. Good people

Boog41

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 11:02:10 am »

Hogfan, where are you staying?

I've done three different snorkeling excursions from Maui..... Molokini, off Lanai and off the NW Coast of Maui. Unless you are just wanting a boat ride, I thought the best snorkeling was off Black Rock at the Sheraton on Kaanapali Beach. I've seen sea turtles, etc there....and you just walk out from the beach.

Just a thought.

hogfan870

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 11:07:21 am »

Do any early morning excursions the first day, or two that you are there. Because of the time change, you will be awake at 4:00 AM no matter what anyway.

We have one of those ocean canoe things scheduled for 8:00 am our the first day there, so we are hoping that will help us adjust.

hogfan870

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2018, 11:12:38 am »

Often the Molokini snorkel tours end up not going to Molokini because of the ocean conditions.  No refunds!  They just substitute another (inferior) site, which is often one you can get to yourself from shore.

Many experts consider Molokini to be over-rated, overused, and too crowded.

As for the hike, make sure it's not one that goes over private lands.

Have a great time on Maui.  Hawai`i is beautiful.

Thanks for the reply.  I actually put my wife in charge of choosing the snorkeling and I think she has decided against Molokini based upon what she has read online.  I am disappointed because it looked pretty cool, but sounds like we are going to Lanai instead.

As for the Honomanu Falls, I am pretty sure is it not on private land because from what I can tell it is a hike straight up the stream bed.  (Kind of like the Narrows in Zion if you have been there.)  It is just one of those super secret things that the locals have kept offline to keep tourists away - which I understand, I just want to know if it is an hour, 1/2 day, full day, what? as far as planning. 

hogfan870

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2018, 11:17:19 am »

Hogfan, where are you staying?

I've done three different snorkeling excursions from Maui..... Molokini, off Lanai and off the NW Coast of Maui. Unless you are just wanting a boat ride, I thought the best snorkeling was off Black Rock at the Sheraton on Kaanapali Beach. I've seen sea turtles, etc there....and you just walk out from the beach.

Just a thought.

Thanks for the input.  And I mentioned it above, but I think we are going to go to Lanai instead of Molokini, but my wife does want a boat ride at least once.  I think her friends have told her how beautiful it is when you get out on the water.

We are staying at the Hotel Wailea.

We were also planning on just snorkeling off the beach once or twice, and had been thinking about Kapalua Bay, but I will look at Kaanapali also.  Thanks for the input

HoginMemphis

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2018, 06:31:36 pm »

Here are my suggestions: do not go to Maui. Go to Big Island...Kohala Coast. Fly to Kona. Stay anywhere along the west coast of Big Island...Mauna Kea, Mauna Lani, et al.

hogfan870

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2018, 01:32:26 am »

Here are my suggestions: do not go to Maui. Go to Big Island...Kohala Coast. Fly to Kona. Stay anywhere along the west coast of Big Island...Mauna Kea, Mauna Lani, et al.

Sorry you're poor

HoginMemphis

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2018, 11:18:40 am »

Sorry you're poor
?

No comprende. I gave you my opinion based on experience. I've been to Maui 3 times. I've been to Big Island more times than I can recall...at least 10 trips. Kohala Coast of Big Island and all else that the Big Island offers beats Maui and its crowds by a large margin. But if you have never been to Maui, give it a shot. Enjoy the small, rocky beaches.

Boog41

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2018, 12:09:22 pm »

?

No comprende. I gave you my opinion based on experience. I've been to Maui 3 times. I've been to Big Island more times than I can recall...at least 10 trips. Kohala Coast of Big Island and all else that the Big Island offers beats Maui and its crowds by a large margin. But if you have never been to Maui, give it a shot. Enjoy the small, rocky beaches.

He didn’t ask for opinions about which island to stay on, he asked about specific things on Maui.

I’ve been to Maui eight times, big Island three times, Kauai eight times, Oahu three times, you’re gonna have a great time wherever you are. Each island is uniquely different than the rest, yet equally beautiful. You’ve made a great choice Hogfan and don’t let anyone try to tell you otherwise.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 12:40:12 pm by Boog41 »

HoginMemphis

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2018, 09:23:57 am »

He didn’t ask for opinions about which island to stay on, he asked about specific things on Maui.

I’ve been to Maui eight times, big Island three times, Kauai eight times, Oahu three times, you’re gonna have a great time wherever you are. Each island is uniquely different than the rest, yet equally beautiful. You’ve made a great choice Hogfan and don’t let anyone try to tell you otherwise.
Where did you stay on your trips to the Big Island?

Boog41

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2018, 02:54:27 pm »

Where did you stay on your trips to the Big Island?

Hilton each time.

HoginMemphis

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2018, 11:03:21 pm »

Hilton each time.
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel for us every time. Would not stay anywhere else.

Skandar Jackson

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Buddy after explaining new MMQB rules to him
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2018, 01:31:43 pm »

Does anyone know anything about the ritz carlton?  Going next week.  Looks like a pretty nice place.

Boog41

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2018, 02:08:08 pm »

Does anyone know anything about the ritz carlton?  Going next week.  Looks like a pretty nice place.

Have only driven by it, so can't help. Played the Plantation course that day.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2018, 06:55:17 am »

Pretty much 100% agree. We also enjoy the east coast side of the big island. Not nearly as crowded or touristy either. Volcano National Park is one of my favorite places to ever go. Heck I wish I was there now watching it erupt.

Skandar Jackson

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2018, 10:09:14 pm »

Normally I ignore any advice from HIM.  I do believe Maui is a better choice than Big Island.  Hate to be disagreeable with a guy who is suspended. 

ricepig

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2018, 12:46:09 pm »

Stayed there in 2014?? I think. It was nice, typical Ritz Carlton.

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2018, 01:43:19 pm »

I thought you bought Maui?

ricepig

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2018, 02:59:03 pm »

I thought you bought Maui?

I bought Minturn instead, it was a bad move on my part.

Skandar Jackson

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2018, 10:44:08 pm »

Typical Ritz Carlton. 

I guess  the hardest decision guys like me and ricepig have to make is trying to decide between the four seasons or Ritz. 

I am a hillbilly to the bone.  I would imagine they have a section of the hotel for folks like us.

DLUXHOG

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • It'll feel better when it quits hurtin'
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2018, 10:54:33 pm »

1) Pineapple Hill Restaurant- go before sunset and sit on their bar patio and have drinks with your woman watching the sunset over the Pacific.  If you don’t score big time after this little date, there’s something wrong....  so thank me lots, but later...
2) Hike Io Valley State Park (aka “Phallic Rocks State Park “....  thank me later...
3) in Hana, stop by Hasegawa's General Store.....  a very historic stop with rich history...
4) a few miles past Hana there is a little green church (Palapala Ho'omau Congregational Church) where Charles Lindbergh is buried....  worth the stop..
5) if you were going December through February, I’d say get on a boat and watch the humpback whales play in Lahaina Bay....   they swim thousands of miles from Alaska to Lahaina to breed (screw).  They are bigger than a large semi truck and it is very cool to see them in the water up close...  you’ll return sometime so try to plan your next trip around this event...

Skandar Jackson

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2018, 02:58:14 am »

1) Pineapple Hill Restaurant- go before sunset and sit on their bar patio and have drinks with your woman watching the sunset over the Pacific.  If you don’t score big time after this little date, there’s something wrong....  so thank me lots, but later...
2) Hike Io Valley State Park (aka “Phallic Rocks State Park “....  thank me later...
3) in Hana, stop by Hasegawa's General Store.....  a very historic stop with rich history...
4) a few miles past Hana there is a little green church (Palapala Ho'omau Congregational Church) where Charles Lindbergh is buried....  worth the stop..
5) if you were going December through February, I’d say get on a boat and watch the humpback whales play in Lahaina Bay....   they swim thousands of miles from Alaska to Lahaina to breed (screw).  They are bigger than a large semi truck and it is very cool to see them in the water up close...  you’ll return sometime so try to plan your next trip around this event...

Mostly my agenda involves eatin' shrimps and guzzling beer.  I am not sure how all this fancy stuff fits in. 

Getting up to go to the airport now. 

BallHog1

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2018, 11:54:21 am »

Man I hate that I didn't see this until you were already gone on your vacation. If you get the chance while you're there, try to get on the wifi and look up "humble brag".

I think you'll understand but if not, let me know and I'll try to explain....and to answer your question, no, nobody knows anything about the Ritz Carlton....

Skandar Jackson

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2018, 04:21:43 am »

Man I hate that I didn't see this until you were already gone on your vacation. If you get the chance while you're there, try to get on the wifi and look up "humble brag".

I think you'll understand but if not, let me know and I'll try to explain....and to answer your question, no, nobody knows anything about the Ritz Carlton....

It ain't bad.  Country boy like yourself wouldn't fit in.  I'm enjoying the high life I'm so used to.  As a professional truck driver I am used to staying in nice hotels and living the good life.

ricepig

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2018, 04:13:42 pm »

It ain't bad.  Country boy like yourself wouldn't fit in.  I'm enjoying the high life I'm so used to.  As a professional truck driver I am used to staying in nice hotels and living the good life.

I hope they put you up in a Jr suite, I recommended you for one to the staff. If you're on the Club level, don't Bogart the hors d'oeuvres, they frown upon that.

Skandar Jackson

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2018, 09:13:26 pm »

I hope they put you up in a Jr suite, I recommended you for one to the staff. If you're on the Club level, don't Bogart the hors d'oeuvres, they frown upon that.

Not sure.  They just said the last celebrity besides myself to stay in my room was Matt Damon so it probably is a junior suite.

Jackrabbit Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • 6/27/18: Just another layer of scar tissue
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2018, 11:35:07 am »

Not sure.  They just said the last celebrity besides myself to stay in my room was Matt Damon so it probably is a junior suite.

At first I didn’t see the ‘e’ and my immediate thought was, “well of course OTR shops for his suits in the junior department.”
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas