• 395,957 Topics
• 22,375 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Should the NCAA Tournament expand to 72 teams?  (Read 2698 times)

jbcarol

Should the NCAA Tournament expand to 72 teams?
« on: June 01, 2018, 08:07:25 am »

DESTIN, Fla. – The more the merrier?

When it comes to the NCAA Tournament, Tennessee coach Rick Barnes and Vanderbilt coach Bryce Drew say yes.

“I think the more games the better,” Drew said Wednesday at the SEC meetings. “I think there’s so many good teams out there. You see it every year with certain teams that win and advance. If you add more teams, you’re just going to see more upsets.”

The dialogue comes in the wake of the ACC’s proposal to increase the NCAA Tournament field from 68 to 72 teams.

Drew said he’d like to see even more than 72 teams in the Big Dance.

“I don’t think at any point in time when we’ve expanded has it ever hurt the tournament,” Barnes said. “It’s only made it better. My gut feeling is, it’s not going to hurt us in any way, shape or form. I think it would probably, somewhere along the line, be good.”

Barnes pointed to the parity in college basketball as a reason for tournament expansion.

“I coached at UMass and Memphis, so if you’re saying, ‘Get more Power 5 teams in,’ then no, don’t do it,” Calipari said. “But if you’re doing it and you say that you’re going to do it for the midmajors or lower schools or schools that don’t have a chance, tell me how you’re going to guarantee them. Don’t tell me you’re going to do it and then all of a sudden we turn around and you have four new positions and three of them were from the Power 5.”

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
Re: Should the NCAA Tournament expand to 72 teams?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 08:44:07 am »

I think 96.  When you look at the growth of the division 1 schools over the past 30+ years since the field first expanded to 64 teams.  Since the NCAA actually owns the NIT they could just absorb that into the field.  Top 32 get byes.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 09:24:04 am »

Heck No. Should cut back if anything.

davril98

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 05:44:56 pm »

There were 351 teams last year. So right now about a 5th of the teams make it. I think the play in games are stupid and I like it at 64, but I guess it’s not unreasonable to have 25% of teams in postseason play.

RebHog

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 07:27:22 pm »

I think 96.  When you look at the growth of the division 1 schools over the past 30+ years since the field first expanded to 64 teams.  Since the NCAA actually owns the NIT they could just absorb that into the field.  Top 32 get byes.

Why stop there man I think the band/cheerleaders should also field a team in the tourney...……. :puke:

jgphillips3

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Life is too short for bad beer.
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 11:15:06 pm »

If we are going to have play in games, I say go to 80 and guarantee the teams that go something like 28-4, win their conference but lose the conference tournament, a spot and you’ll also scoop up the last 6 or so major conference teams who probably deserved a shot.  Then have the lowest 32 seeds play on Tuesday/Wednesday and filter into the normal 64.  You could do 96 but I think adding just these 12 more would pretty much get everyone that deserves a shot.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 10:37:40 pm by jgphillips3 »

alohawg

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2018, 04:02:48 am »

I'd rather drop to 64.

TheRazorback500

• All-American Hogvillian
  • It's better to burn out than fade away.
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2018, 08:36:57 am »

No.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Life as a Politics Mod....
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2018, 02:28:14 pm »

A lower proportion of teams who are eligible to make the tournament make it now, than in the era of the 48 team tournament.    Really, its very close to being harder to get into now than it was when it was restricted to one per conference, statistically.

LAHogfan123

HOGINTENNESSEE

• Ryan Mallett: "I don't get nervous"
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2018, 05:59:35 pm »

I'd rather drop to 64.

Agreed play in games blow

alohawg

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2018, 06:24:38 pm »

Agreed play in games blow

I might even be in favor of dropping it to 60 with the top seeds getting a 1st rd. bye. Of course the biggest issue then would be corruption in selecting the top seeds.

Sweet Feet

• Hogvillian
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2018, 06:39:45 pm »

I say 96, but get rid of Conference tournaments. Take the top 2 teams from all 32 conferences overall. Then the committee can select the remaining 32 at-large bids.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2018, 07:29:13 pm »

No, it's watered down to much as it is.

How can it be watered down when it is more selective than at any time in the history of the tournament since it was opened to multi bids for a single league?

Captain Morgan

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2018, 11:37:28 pm »

It should go to 32 teams not 32 byes! Lets hand out ribbons to the losing teams!  :puke:

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2018, 04:24:13 am »

It should go to 32 teams not 32 byes! Lets hand out ribbons to the losing teams!  :puke:

Harder to get in now than ever before.

Adam Stokes

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2018, 10:22:21 am »

I think 96 would be a good number. No one wants to cut the revenue from the conference tournaments. I say that either a conference tournament win or a regular season conference win should make for an auto-bid. This would've given a maximum of 22 slots to single bid leagues as there were 10 with multi-bids anyways. Major conference would've gotten an extra 10 teams in. Top 32 teams get a bye and then 64 teams have a play-in game. The round of 64 would be much more competitive. Since the first week of March Madness is already my favorite week of the year, I would much rather have the bulk of games start on Tuesday than Thursday.

Over 50% of college football teams get to go bowling. 50% in the NBA go to the playoff. Over 50% in the MLS. 38% in the NFL. Right now NCAAM has 68 out of 351 go to the NCAA tournament, which 19%. Having 96 out of 351 would still be just 27%.

HF#1

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2018, 11:56:38 am »

God no.

mbgrulz

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2018, 12:07:00 pm »

Basketball is different than it was 20 years ago. There are so many good basketball players out there now, and the separation between your high-major and mid-major kid is so slim. The numbers don’t lie, making the field of 68 is maybe the hardest postseason to qualify for in all of sports. Expanding to 96 makes sense. There are enough mid-majors that deserve chances to play for the title, and there is no reason a 22 win SEC team should have to sweat it out on selection Sunday. Let’s throw them all in the tourney and see who comes out on top.

Dr. Starcs

• Tell me what you don't like about yourself.
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2018, 09:58:05 am »

Expand.

And I actually agree more with Calipari here.

Ok, going to shower now.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2018, 11:20:47 am »

expand to 256. It only takes one more 4 day weekend. Get rid of the conf tourneys, play the sub regions at 32 sites ( could use the conf tourney sites so they don't whine ). Then re-seed after the 1st weekend when you'd be back down to 64 teams.

elvis26

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2018, 11:27:38 am »

;D I think the ncaa should go to 96. a lot of good teams are left out of the tournament every year!!!!!!!!!!

j-mann

• Varsity
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2018, 09:48:24 pm »

drop the conf tournaments   

go down to 48  top 4 seeds in each reg    gets byes to 32   

make the NIT the 64 best  after the 48 who get in   

no more then 5 teams per conf can make the 48 team field   

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2018, 10:02:01 pm »

drop the conf tournaments   

go down to 48  top 4 seeds in each reg    gets byes to 32   

make the NIT the 64 best  after the 48 who get in   

no more then 5 teams per conf can make the 48 team field   

This would make it approximately 3 times as selective as any point in the history of the tournament.

It makes zero sense to make the tournament even more restrictive than it already is.

(notOM)Rebel123

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2018, 10:17:17 pm »

jbcarol

« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2018, 06:13:27 am »

After sending a conference-record eight teams to the NCAA Tournament, the SEC wouldn't mind seeing the field expand.

SEC basketball coaches expressed interest in the idea being proposed by the ACC to expand the NCAA Tournament from 68 to 72 teams.

"I think there's generally in that room support," SEC commissioner Greg Sankey said. "Did they take a vote? No, but I think there's support."

There are still structural questions to be answered regarding any possible expansion of the Big Dance.

If the additional four teams would lead to all four 16 seeds and the four 11 seeds all being play-in games, Sankey is not sold on that format.

"I'm not sure I like that," he said. "If we're going to expand somebody has to explain why 72 is the right number. You can recall not so long ago 96 was on the table ... We pivoted back to (64) and then into the (68), which has worked well."

SEC is going to begin negotiations to extend its agreement with the city of Nashville to host its basketball tournament championships.

"We've had a great experience in Nashville at Bridgestone Arena, in basketball," Sankey said. "We're going to intentionally pursue negotiations to extend our agreement around basketball being hosted in Nashville at Bridgestone Arena. We look forward to our future there."

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2018, 10:32:27 am »

The tournament isn't restrictive for the "power" conferences.

The ACC, SEC, B1G, B12, PAC and Big East are annually multi bid leagues.  37 teams from these conferences made the 2018 NCAAT. 

74 teams make up these conferences.  1/2 of them made the NCAAT.  It takes a lot of failure for many of these programs to miss the tournament.  Failure in scheduling properly and in winning enough. 

The MWC(11 teams total) had 2 teams in the NCAAT.  The A10 (14) had 3.  AAC (12) had 3 teams.  Sometimes a conference like the WCC(10 teams), CUSA(14) or MVC(10) could get a second team in. 

Being extremely generous, add another 71 programs to the 74 in the "power" conferences.  Out of 145 teams, 48 teams made the 2018 NCAAT.  1 out of 3.  Not restrictive.

If you want to claim its restrictive, then look to the other 206 programs who saw 20 teams make the NCAAT.

From a perspective of it rewarding teams from the power conferences, the field should be reduced.  It's a watered down tournament with mediocre teams.  D1 is way too big in both football and basketball. 

From an interest standpoint, I can understand expanding it.  Not much difference in some of the NIT teams and many of the NCAAT teams.  The NIT teams tend to have not played the RPI game well.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2018, 01:49:30 pm »

The ACC, SEC, B1G, B12, PAC and Big East are annually multi bid leagues.  37 teams from these conferences made the 2018 NCAAT. 

74 teams make up these conferences.  1/2 of them made the NCAAT.  It takes a lot of failure for many of these programs to miss the tournament.  Failure in scheduling properly and in winning enough. 

The MWC(11 teams total) had 2 teams in the NCAAT.  The A10 (14) had 3.  AAC (12) had 3 teams.  Sometimes a conference like the WCC(10 teams), CUSA(14) or MVC(10) could get a second team in. 

Being extremely generous, add another 71 programs to the 74 in the "power" conferences.  Out of 145 teams, 48 teams made the 2018 NCAAT.  1 out of 3.  Not restrictive.

If you want to claim its restrictive, then look to the other 206 programs who saw 20 teams make the NCAAT.

From a perspective of it rewarding teams from the power conferences, the field should be reduced.  It's a watered down tournament with mediocre teams.  D1 is way too big in both football and basketball. 

From an interest standpoint, I can understand expanding it.  Not much difference in some of the NIT teams and many of the NCAAT teams.  The NIT teams tend to have not played the RPI game well.

All of which point to the question " how is adding 4 more teams supposed to help?". They added 4 to make it 6, and we still hear the whining about the last couple teams in or out. This won't change with 72, or 82 or 96. There is always going to be crying by someone about the last couple teams in compared to the last couple left out.

What this is, really, is just away the major conferences think they might slip another team or 2 into the field of whatever #.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2018, 02:11:29 pm »

All of which point to the question " how is adding 4 more teams supposed to help?". They added 4 to make it 6, and we still hear the whining about the last couple teams in or out. This won't change with 72, or 82 or 96. There is always going to be crying by someone about the last couple teams in compared to the last couple left out.

What this is, really, is just away the major conferences think they might slip another team or 2 into the field of whatever #.

Yes it is.  And major conference coaches wanting the extra job security and salary which comes with making the tourney.  It's disingenuous to even mention the 206+ pissant irrelevant programs or base statistics on making the tourney on 351 teams.  Arkansas isn't competing with 351 teams for an NCAAT spot.  We compete with 13 SEC programs for the auto bid and at large and maybe another 100-130 for an at large.  Don't schedule the MEAC or SWAC.  Beat the rent a wins.  Win half of the conference games.  In the NCAAT conversation at the least.  Wow that's tough.   ::)

nwahogfan1

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2018, 02:19:26 pm »

I think it should be doubled to 128.  I think that would just be one more game added for everyone.    Of course then many would want more.

If expanded to 128,  I would not expect too many of your top seeds getting knocked off in the 1st round.   

So maybe too predictable for some.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2018, 01:55:43 am »

You can't throw out two thirds of the teams in a claim it isn't restrictive--  Oh-- and 48 of 148?   That's as restrictive a participation rate as when the field went to 52, roughly, still-- so still, one of the historically low eras of tournament participation-- and this without the old NCAA tournament Bye system for major conference champions and elite teams.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2018, 08:37:50 am »

You can't throw out two thirds of the teams in a claim it isn't restrictive--  Oh-- and 48 of 148?   That's as restrictive a participation rate as when the field went to 52, roughly, still-- so still, one of the historically low eras of tournament participation-- and this without the old NCAA tournament Bye system for major conference champions and elite teams.

Notice you ignored the fact it isn't restrictive to 74 of the 148 programs.  These programs and conferences are the ones discussing expanding the tournament in this conversation.  17 out of 28 SEC and ACC programs made the last NCAAT.  Laughable to call this restrictive but they are talking of expanding it so more teams can get in. 

Bit of a stretch but you could argue its too restrictive for programs like St Marys and MTSU.  Would water down the tourney a little more but it wouldn't make much difference if you wanted to expand to add them.  Might as well.

Do you want to make an argument for the 200+ programs in the conf tourney champ only conferences to have more teams included?  Aren't their conference tourneys already an extension of the NCAAT?  A prelim portion of the NCAAT?  Have the NCAA stick a logo on the court, banner on the scorers table and put their championship games on Tru TV and TBS and call it the new Round 1. 

HoopS

« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2018, 09:58:10 am »

Absolutely should.

It is harder to get in now than ever.

The excitement is there in almost all of the games.

More teams in the hunt late is good.

And no it isn’t watered down.

cityhog

• THE City
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2018, 11:37:59 am »

We'd still be on the bubble so I'm meh about this idea.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2018, 11:45:54 am »

Notice you ignored the fact it isn't restrictive to 74 of the 148 programs.  These programs and conferences are the ones discussing expanding the tournament in this conversation.  17 out of 28 SEC and ACC programs made the last NCAAT.  Laughable to call this restrictive but they are talking of expanding it so more teams can get in. 

Bit of a stretch but you could argue its too restrictive for programs like St Marys and MTSU.  Would water down the tourney a little more but it wouldn't make much difference if you wanted to expand to add them.  Might as well.

Do you want to make an argument for the 200+ programs in the conf tourney champ only conferences to have more teams included?  Aren't their conference tourneys already an extension of the NCAAT?  A prelim portion of the NCAAT?  Have the NCAA stick a logo on the court, banner on the scorers table and put their championship games on Tru TV and TBS and call it the new Round 1. 

Why yes, I do ignore the nonsensical premise that its too restrictive, by reducing the field and eligible to less than half before even considering the question.

The tournament remains more restrictive now, than at any time in its history.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2018, 12:50:25 pm »

Why yes, I do ignore the nonsensical premise that its too restrictive, by reducing the field and eligible to less than half before even considering the question.

The tournament remains more restrictive now, than at any time in its history.

I agree it is nonsensical to believe it's too restrictive.  It's also nonsensical to believe a program like Arkansas is in the same situation as a UCA, ASU or UALR when it comes to making the NCAAT.  Therefore, you can't reasonably include them in the same group when talking about difficulty in making the NCAAT as you and others tried earlier in this thread. 

It isn't restrictive to the power conferences when 1 out of every 2 makes the tournament. 

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2018, 01:03:42 pm »

If the NIT field and seeding is an indication of who would have made an expanded NCAAT field:

One seeds from the 2018 NIT:
ND
Baylor
USC
St Marys

3 power conference teams and one from the next tier of conferences.  That would make 40 power conference teams out of 74 in the power conferences in the NCAAT.

Next 4 seeds from 2018 NIT:
Utah
Ok St
Marq
Lou

Next 4
LSU
Stanford
Oregon
MTSU

So this would have given MTSU a chance had the field taken 80 teams.  47 of the spots would have gone to the power conferences.  All this would do would be add more games.  Not against that.  But it does nothing for the quality.

Again, this proposal is nothing more than the power conferences wanting more spots and the coaches wanting the security and money which comes with making it. 

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2018, 02:15:14 pm »

I agree it is nonsensical to believe it's too restrictive.  It's also nonsensical to believe a program like Arkansas is in the same situation as a UCA, ASU or UALR when it comes to making the NCAAT.  Therefore, you can't reasonably include them in the same group when talking about difficulty in making the NCAAT as you and others tried earlier in this thread. 

It isn't restrictive to the power conferences when 1 out of every 2 makes the tournament. 

The question isn't how it treats power conference programs; the question is how restrictive it is to the pool of eligible teams.  That's the only question that matters.

It is, and remains, absolutely ridiculous to try to claim it isn't restrictive enough.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2018, 02:30:07 pm »

The question isn't how it treats power conference programs; the question is how restrictive it is to the pool of eligible teams.  That's the only question that matters.

It is, and remains, absolutely ridiculous to try to claim it isn't restrictive enough.

It is restrictive IF you assume all 300+ teams have the SAME chance to get in. However, as ATL points out, about 200 teams have only 1 chance, and that is to win their conf/conf tourney ( however they award their autobid ). But everyone knows the SWAC is not getting an at-large team, so those teams are restricted to only one way in. Meanwhile, in a p5 league, you can go .500, maybe under, and if you schedule properly in the ooc, you can still get in.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2018, 04:31:38 pm »

It is restrictive IF you assume all 300+ teams have the SAME chance to get in. However, as ATL points out, about 200 teams have only 1 chance, and that is to win their conf/conf tourney ( however they award their autobid ). But everyone knows the SWAC is not getting an at-large team, so those teams are restricted to only one way in. Meanwhile, in a p5 league, you can go .500, maybe under, and if you schedule properly in the ooc, you can still get in.

Except they don't have only one shot.     This is a common flaw in statistical thought;  that each independent event has a likelihood;  however, one achieving a thing does not have much bearing on another achieving the same.

And really, the 48 our of 148 argument isn't radically out of line with the historical permissiveness of the tournament already--  even if you *assume*  a bad statistical model, there's still a compelling case for field expansion.

Pork Twain

« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2018, 07:31:18 am »

Why not just invite everyone, because that is basically where we are going with this.

jjdlc

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2018, 10:52:47 am »

It does need to expand to at least 96, and do away with the absolutely stupid current play in game setup. 

Teams outside the top 8-12 regularly end up in the final four and even occasionally win it all, and low seeds (12-16) beating high seeds (1-5) has become a yearly thing.  To call the tournament watered down is just asinine.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2018, 12:29:21 pm »

Why not just invite everyone, because that is basically where we are going with this.

Because its nowhere near inviting everyone?   I mean, if you set it to a full 96, you get back to where the tournament was, roughly, when it expanded to 64.   An intermediate step makes more sense, keeping the field restrictive by historical standards.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2018, 02:17:15 pm »

It does need to expand to at least 96, and do away with the absolutely stupid current play in game setup. 

Teams outside the top 8-12 regularly end up in the final four and even occasionally win it all, and low seeds (12-16) beating high seeds (1-5) has become a yearly thing.  To call the tournament watered down is just asinine.

So LSU SC and Miss St should have been in the 2018 NCAAT?  Lol. Not watering down at all. 

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2018, 02:18:38 pm »

Because its nowhere near inviting everyone?   I mean, if you set it to a full 96, you get back to where the tournament was, roughly, when it expanded to 64.   An intermediate step makes more sense, keeping the field restrictive by historical standards.

96 with 74 programs in the power conferences.  Some standard. 

HoopS

« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2018, 08:15:59 pm »

no, it would isn’t.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2018, 08:33:02 pm »

96 with 74 programs in the power conferences.  Some standard. 

Far better 96 of 351 than 64 out of 182.

247Hog

• Senior
  • Regular Sized Rudy Calling the Hogs
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2018, 09:34:42 pm »

NO. This is turning into a participation trophy type tournament if they keep expanding.

HoopS

« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2018, 10:14:49 pm »

NO. This is turning into a participation trophy type tournament if they keep expanding.
no it isn’t.

vandybuff

« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2018, 01:17:14 am »

honestly, add another weekend and make it 128. 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas