• 395,579 Topics
• 22,319 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: An anonymous SEC coach gave this scorching take on Malzahn in national magazine  (Read 9903 times)

Ben

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net

He is overpaid a bit. but hey, in 5 years, he's been to 1 national title, 2 NY6 bowls, 2 SEC title games (won 1), and have reached the top 4 in 3 different seasons.  Not to mention has beaten Alabama twice when they were #1. There's some schools that would LOVE to have that type of success in the past 5 years............

Skandar Jackson

• All-American Hogvillian
  • He's learning japanese & getting pretty good at it

This fall I will start my 44th season of covering Hog football. Some coaches were better than others. Some teams were successful and some were flat awful. But the nuts and bolts of my job didn't change much year to year. Then 2005-06 arrived. It was like I stepped into Bizarro World. Rumors were flying.  Boosters were lobbying the media.

This isn't Nutt's fault. It's Gus' fault. Gus is evil. He wants Nutt's job.

Nope, it's Nutt and his wife. They liars and they are mean to Gus & Kristi.

No way. It's that Mustain kid and his mom. They want to run the team.

Yack, yack, yack. Blah, blah, blah.

The fan base split. Families split. The media split. Everybody took sides. Everybody was an expert. Almost nobody knew what the hell was actually going on.

Petrino came along and things went back to normal for four seasons. It was great. Then came the volleyball chick, the motorcycle wreck, John L. the Loon, Bert arguing with Gus and Coach Bro in Lubbock. My freaking head was spinning again.

Maybe, just maybe, Chad Morris will lead us out of Bizarro World. We don't deserve this. We need it to be about football again.

Thank God Auburn gave Gus all that money.

Mike tell us some cbb stories before we all.go to bed. You've gotta have some good ones. 

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

KlubhouseKonnected

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • OOOOhh, GOOD FOR YOU!

Gus touches his players on their butts. He lives for that stuff.

Al Boarland

We don't deserve this. We need it to be about football again.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!

How?
He and his friends lead the BOT to believe if they would fire Bielema they could hire him. Then when he got what he really wanted all along - a contract extension and raise from Auburn - he left the BOT in a bind. The whole country knew the UA did not get the coach it wanted, the BOT had no backup plan, had just spent a boxcar load of money, we were competing with other big SEC jobs and time was running out for a hire with recruiting deadlines approaching fast.

A lot of assumptions with no facts to back them up in that post.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian

It's not just coaches. People often have another job offer in hand to get a raise with their current employer. There is nothing shady about it at all. People here let their passion block their sense of reason. Gus did what professionals do every day.

Heck I had two job offers the same day one time and took the one that paid less. Sometimes it isn’t about money.

Al Boarland

Heck I had two job offers the same day one time and took the one that paid less. Sometimes it isn’t about money.

Totally agree.  Sometimes it's about location, ability to succeed, staying with something you've already built.  There were substantial numbers thrown around by both parties.  I doubt his ultimate decision was based on money.  The UofA job would have bought him more time, but eventually the same pressure he experiences at AU would come along.  Especially if he had some modicum of success.  With passionate fans come unrealistic expectations.  At some point everyone would hate him and then what good would coming home have done?  He probably made the right move.  If he was such a slime ball why would he have recommended Chad for the job?

little pigee

• I'll get back to you on that...

Write this down: It's not about the money, it's about the amount of money.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian

Write this down: It's not about the money, it's about the amount of money.

No it isn’t all the time.

Paul

After getting played by Gus with his “dream job” line we wouldn’t have to see as much Gus love or Gus period on this board. SMH

oldfart

• Hogville.net Rocks!

I have locked the thread.

HiM and Hogpharmer...

If the two of you do not stop personally attacking one another, the next time you will be able to log on will be around kick-off of our first game. I’m tired of having to babysit grown men.
thanks Wilson... i hate seeing good threads derailed by petty bickering

mckinneyhog5

Gus couldn't get a job at the UofA as janitor...I also have a feeling he'll be looking for a job in three years.

Ex-Trumpet

• Gold Hogvillian
  • When life gives you lemons, get a boob job!

After getting played by Gus with his “dream job” line we wouldn’t have to see as much Gus love or Gus period on this board. SMH

I've never actually heard Gus say Arkansas was his dream job; I've only heard others say that it was his dream job.

Ex-Trumpet

• Gold Hogvillian
  • When life gives you lemons, get a boob job!

Gus couldn't get a job at the UofA as janitor...I also have a feeling he'll be looking for a job in three years.

I'll take the under!

Justifiable Hogicide

I've never actually heard Gus say Arkansas was his dream job.
It was once.
Now it is his dream negotiating tactic job.

HoginMemphis

Gus played us and we let him. Embarrassing.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!

That is exactly what happened. "We want to come home (unless we can get more out of Auburn)".

(notOM)Rebel123

• Hogville.net

Yeah right...he played us to the tune of what..$49 million?
Oh wait...that was Auburn.

(notOM)Rebel123

• Hogville.net

That is exactly what happened. "We want to come home (unless we can get more out of Auburn)".

That means he played Auburn, not us....geez.
The UofA helped lock Auburn into a horrible deal. That’s a win!

Curious to know how many people who continue to claim that the UofA got played actually want Gus as our coach or are they just looking for yet another reason to gripe?

Sed76

• Hogvillian

Some have suggested Chad Morris was only hired because he is a Gus clone and Gus suggested him. If the powers that be thought they got played and used why in the world would they listen to anything the guy suggested?

(notOM)Rebel123

• Hogville.net

Some have suggested Chad Morris was only hired because he is a Gus clone and Gus suggested him. If the powers that be thought they got played and used why in the world would they listen to anything the guy suggested?

They wouldn’t. But a few of the loudest critics of “everything Arkansas” continue to spin their narrative. So, the UofA got played so badly that Auburn is saddled with Gus for nearly $50 million?

Sivad

Well, he certainly played our Board of Trustees like a Stradivarius.

Captain Morgan

The Malzahn stuff was fake news for some media members to get Twitter clicks. Lots of Arkansas and Auburn sports writers got their names out there

Al Boarland

Yeah right...he played us to the tune of what..$49 million?
Oh wait...that was Auburn.

To be fair we don't know if Morris is worth what we're paying him yet. Malzahn has the talent to win a championship.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!

That means he played Auburn, not us....geez.
The UofA helped lock Auburn into a horrible deal. That’s a win!

Curious to know how many people who continue to claim that the UofA got played actually want Gus as our coach or are they just looking for yet another reason to gripe?

I'm glad he isn't here. What I should have said above and what I actually meant to say was, Malzahn used the potential of "coming home" to Arkansas as leverage to pressure Auburn for more money. He used Arkansas, he played Auburn.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 05:54:51 am by MuskogeeHogFan »

(notOM)Rebel123

• Hogville.net

I'm glad he isn't here. What I should have said above and what I actually meant to say was, Malzahn used the potential of "coming home" to Arkansas as leverage to pressure Auburn for more money. He used Arkansas, he played Auburn.
yep.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 06:36:44 am by (notOM)Rebel123 »

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian

To be fair we don't know if Morris is worth what we're paying him yet. Malzahn has the talent to win a championship.

Drinking early or a late night? Either way posting under the influence is bad.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!

They wouldn’t. But a few of the loudest critics of “everything Arkansas” continue to spin their narrative. So, the UofA got played so badly that Auburn is saddled with Gus for nearly $50 million?

The line in bold is absolutely FALSE. I bleed Razorback red and have done so since the early 60's. I just want what's best for the U of A football program. For the record, I was opposed to Gus being considered for the head coaching job from day one and that never changed, not because of his offense but because of what he did back in 2006. Nutt was guilty as sin but Gus had blood on his hands too.

Even though he is a Gus clone when it comes to running his offense, I very much like Chad Morris. Arkansas basically got a head coach that may be even better than Gus but without Gus's attitude and baggage. Unlike Gus, Morris really wants to be at Arkansas and be successful. I believe Chad and his staff are going to surprise a number of people this year.

urkillnmesmalls

• Experience: You get it just after you needed it!

You can look at it that way, OR...if the CCM era pans out, you can say it was a beautiful thing how we used the exposure of flirting with Gus to identify CCM as our best candidate.  The irony that would go with that if he ends up owing Malzahn would be outstanding. 

(notOM)Rebel123

• Hogville.net

The line in bold is absolutely FALSE. I bleed Razorback red and have done so since the early 60's. I just want what's best for the U of A football program. For the record, I was opposed to Gus being considered for the head coaching job from day one and that never changed, not because of his offense but because of what he did back in 2006. Nutt was guilty as sin but Gus had blood on his hands too.

Even though he is a Gus clone when it comes to running his offense, I very much like Chad Morris. Arkansas basically got a head coach that may be even better than Gus but without Gus's attitude and baggage. Unlike Gus, Morris really wants to be at Arkansas and be successful. I believe Chad and his staff are going to surprise a number of people this year.

I think you misunderstood what I was saying...not to mention that I wasn’t even referring to you.

urkillnmesmalls

• Experience: You get it just after you needed it!

I think you misunderstood what I was saying...not to mention that I wasn’t even referring to you.

A misunderstanding on Hogville.  INCONCEIVABLE!   ;D

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose

Eh, he just wanted a reason to say 'Gus clone' for the 649th time.

(notOM)Rebel123

• Hogville.net

Eh, he just wanted a reason to say 'Gus clone' for the 649th time.

Ha! True.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!

Okay, then I apologize for the misunderstanding.

okrazorback

• Varsity

What Gus did last year is equal to what Nutt did in 98. and 2006.  I doubt any of us want to repeat that again.  I also doubt Sabin cares that Gussie won the west. Look at that shiny new ring on one of his 5, or is it 6 fingers now? 
People need to get over the man crush on gussi

I don't why you are running Gus I think he did what you or anyone else would do for a few million dollars.

okrazorback

• Varsity

What Gus did last year is equal to what Nutt did in 98. and 2006.  I doubt any of us want to repeat that again.  I also doubt Sabin cares that Gussie won the west. Look at that shiny new ring on one of his 5, or is it 6 fingers now? 
People need to get over the man crush on gussi

I don't why you are running Gus down. I think he did what you or anyone else would do for a few million dollars.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!

People need to get over the man crush on gussi.

I don't why you are running Gus down, I think he did what you or anyone else would do for a few million dollars.

There are other reasons fo not liking Gus.

HoginMemphis

Made the wait for almost 2 weeks. Punked them big time. Ark could have hired the Clemson DC if they had not had to wait. By the time Gus told Arkansas he was not interested, they could hire only Morris.

goodguytex

• Gold Hogvillian

Some believe Gus pushed Chad Morris to be our HC so he could be a place holder until Gus decides he's had enough at Auburn and wants to come be the hC at Arkansas in a few years, because Gus doesn't think Morris will be competent enough to be successful at Arkansas.

I hope that's not true. If Gus did have those motivations, I hope Chad Morris proves himvwtong and Morris is a great HC at Arkansas.

But the UofA believed Gus would be our HC. And they shouldn't have. They shouldn't have just focused on him and pretty much noone else. We had drama with Nutt. We don't need it again. Let's just keep the past in the past, stop pining away for Gus malzahn and move on.

Al Boarland

Some believe Gus pushed Chad Morris to be our HC so he could be a place holder until Gus decides he's had enough at Auburn and wants to come be the hC at Arkansas in a few years, because Gus doesn't think Morris will be competent enough to be successful at Arkansas.

Do they use Reynolds tin foil or store brand?

HoginMemphis

We will NEVER have a HC as great as Lou Holtz.

goodguytex

• Gold Hogvillian

Do they use Reynolds tin foil or store brand?
Not my problem. But hog fans should get their eyes on the University of Arkansas, and off the University of Auburn's HC. If they are Hog fans, they need to act like it. If they wanna cheer for Gus malzahn, and pine away for him, try to undermine and backstab so he can "come home", those people need to be kept far away from the UofA in Fayetteville.

Porkys Revenge

I took Skip duck hunting a 2 years ago. He had VERY fond memeories of Arkansas. I didnt realize he played QB for Fayetteville.

Hoggish1

They also pay him that much money to pick his nose on national TeeVee—sad

HoginMemphis

I took Skip duck hunting a 2 years ago. He had VERY fond memeories of Arkansas. I didnt realize he played QB for Fayetteville.
Watch that Joe Buck hosted interview of Lou on Undeniable that just came out. I saw it this past week. Lou at his best.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!

Not my problem. But hog fans should get their eyes on the University of Arkansas, and off the University of Auburn's HC. If they are Hog fans, they need to act like it. If they wanna cheer for Gus malzahn, and pine away for him, try to undermine and backstab so he can "come home", those people need to be kept far away from the UofA in Fayetteville.

I don't think Gus cares one bit about coming home nor do I want him to. I just have a hard time believing that he would recommend an HC to a Western Division rival who would come back to bite him in the butt. I'd dearly love to see Chad pull that off though and I sure hope he does.

HogPharmer

Malzahn has the talent.... on the Auburn roster. Which he would not have brought with him to Arkansas IF he would have ever ended up here anyways.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian

We had one before that and we had one after that.

Al Boarland

Malzahn has the talent.... on the Auburn roster. Which he would not have brought with him to Arkansas IF he would have ever ended up here anyways.

No doubt about that.

HoginMemphis

We had one before that and we had one after that.
I disagree on both.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas