• 10,114,642 Posts
• 404,128 Topics
• 23,078 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Layne Hatcher  (Read 6036 times)

#1 STUNNA

Layne Hatcher
« on: May 25, 2018, 02:05:46 pm »

Picked up an offer from Alabama this morning.. Decommited from Arkansas state and will now be playing for Alabama. Interesting.

31to6

Re: Layne Hatcher
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 02:12:35 pm »

Picked up an offer from Alabama this morning.. Decommited from Arkansas state and will now be playing for Alabama. Interesting.
Interesting.

Good for him to get a full ride to play in the SEC.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Vantage 8 dude

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 02:29:11 pm »

Golly....decisions, decisions, decisions ;)

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 02:36:37 pm »

Is this possibly a package deal to get Henry?  Read quotes that Hatcher would be trying to swing him.

imtad16

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 02:52:34 pm »

Such an odd turn of events. Well definitely good for him. I thought he signed a letter of intent with Arkansas State though.

ricepig

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 02:55:24 pm »

Such an odd turn of events. Well definitely good for him. I thought he signed a letter of intent with Arkansas State though.

Nope, never signed one. He was going to grey shirt there.

Vantage 8 dude

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2018, 02:55:42 pm »

Is this possibly a package deal to get Henry?  Read quotes that Hatcher would be trying to swing him.
Absolutely, positively can't be. We ALL know that St. Saban would NEVER EVER stoop to such tactics in a bid to entice a player to (football) heaven. Heck, all he has to is snap his fingers and kids are falling all over themselves to line up to Tuscaloosa.

imtad16

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2018, 03:00:11 pm »

Nope, never signed one. He was going to grey shirt there.

Oh ok, that makes sense. ASU has to be puking on their shoes right now for not offering a kid that leaves their Gray Shirt offer for a scholarship offer at Bama.

Seminole Indian

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2018, 03:11:48 pm »

Think they had all their scholarships committed when Layne decided to join them. Great opportunity for him.

LRrazorback

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2018, 03:12:04 pm »

Something is funny about this.

Wasn't ASU his best offer, by a long shot?

Rocket23

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2018, 03:39:35 pm »

No way this is a full ride offer.   Maybe a preferred walk-in offer or something.  He is a good kid, works extremely hard at his craft, but no one he is good enough to play QB at Alabama.  It is only major D1 offer.  Saban is good,  it not that dang good.  I guess only time will tell.

Paul

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2018, 04:31:08 pm »

smells rotten to me

hogfooey

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2018, 05:56:28 pm »

I wonder if this gets Henry back in the picture for them, even though Bama wasn't in his top 5.

EASYBONE1

• Senior
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2018, 06:36:42 pm »

Bama can always pull that offer once they get their man.. They have did it before.... Getting offered & excepting that offer means nothing until you sign on the dotted line.....

Seminole Indian

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2018, 07:50:58 pm »

While the nature of Layne's A-State offer is still unclear, from everything out there Layne almost certainly has  a scholarship offer from Alabama, and  from this article  he will be recruiting Henry.

"Definitely getting in his ear," Hatcher said. "I'm going to go see him tonight before I leave actually and do my own recruiting."

https://247sports.com/college/alabama/Article/Alabama-Football-Recruiting-Alabama-lands-2018-QB-Layne-Hatcher--118526329

orgkeith

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2018, 08:19:31 pm »

Only way he would ever throw Henry a pass would be in practice. HE ISN'T GETTING HENRY TO BAMA :)

TrueBlue

• "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up."
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2018, 10:55:22 am »

So he decided not to play football anymore?

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2018, 08:35:59 pm »

May be a sign that Jalen Hurts is leaving.  Hatcher gives them another QB option.

If Hurts leaves, Alabama better hope Tua doesn't get injured.  If Tua got injured even with Hatcher they would have a significant drop-off at QB

Bad_Intentions

• Varsity
  • Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2018, 11:46:55 pm »

Clearly this is to entice Henry.

Pork Ranger

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2018, 07:00:39 am »

Bama can always pull that offer once they get their man.. They have did it before.... Getting offered & excepting that offer means nothing until you sign on the dotted line.....

I figure this is a business decision for Bama and a chance to get a big money booster (dad) onboard the program

yraciv

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2018, 01:19:52 pm »

If Bama knows Hurts is transferring, and they'll  be left with 2 scholarship QB this makes sense. I mean what other QB are out there that haven't signed at this point. If Bama wants to make a push for Henry this makes sense. I don't think Layne's dad is a big enough money making booster that it affects Bama's decision, because those are a dime a dozen to that program.

ricepig

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2018, 01:27:00 pm »

If Bama knows Hurts is transferring, and they'll  be left with 2 scholarship QB this makes sense. I mean what other QB are out there that haven't signed at this point. If Bama wants to make a push for Henry this makes sense. I don't think Layne's dad is a big enough money making booster that it affects Bama's decision, because those are a dime a dozen to that program.

How come they didn't pursue a grad transfer QB then? I think this is an insurance policy(pun intended) on if one of the QB's does transfer.

yraciv

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2018, 02:21:18 pm »

How come they didn't pursue a grad transfer QB then? I think this is an insurance policy(pun intended) on if one of the QB's does transfer.

Even for Saban, convincing a Grad Transfer QB to come ride the pine is a hard sell. Grad QB starters will want to come in and have chance to win the job. He would have had to find a highly rated QB such as Ty Storey or someone who has rode the bench their entire career, and would rather be the backup QB on a national championship contender than the one they've spent most/all of their college years and developed friendships at.

Not saying it's impossible,  but for insurance I get why Saban went with Hatcher.  Next year he has 2 QBs already committed, one is Bear Bryant's great-grandson and the other is Tua's brother. Both highly rated and should be ready to come in and compete next year.

King Kong

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2018, 03:05:21 pm »

Just as an FYI Bama did go after a Grad Transfer from East Carolina.

He committed to Bama before changing his mind and going to Washington St

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/east-carolina-transfer-qb-gardner-minshew-chooses-washington-state-over-alabama/amp/
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 03:41:21 pm by King Kong »

Richard Davenport

• Global Moderator
  • TRD - The Recruiting Dog
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2018, 11:20:02 am »

Just as an FYI Bama did go after a Grad Transfer from East Carolina.

He committed to Bama before changing his mind and going to Washington St

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/east-carolina-transfer-qb-gardner-minshew-chooses-washington-state-over-alabama/amp/

Bama has three scholarship QBs and there's a possibility one might transfer. You don't want to go into a season with only two scholarship QBs.

LRrazorback

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2018, 12:37:25 pm »

Bama has three scholarship QBs and there's a possibility one might transfer. You don't want to go into a season with only two scholarship QBs.

So might as well take a flyer on a guy who could help you with a 5 star TE and who's dad would build a new facility of some kind for the program?

Rocket23

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2018, 01:26:30 pm »

Bama wasnít in Hudsonís final five.

GoHogzzGo

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2018, 05:08:27 pm »

Yuuup. Weird stuff.

Good for him. Odd as an observer.

Pork Ranger

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2018, 05:18:31 pm »

Yuuup. Weird stuff.

Good for him. Odd as an observer.

Itís about money for the program, IMO

jbcarol

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2018, 05:56:10 pm »

Destin: Nick Saban explains why Alabama added QB

"We were excited to be able to ... he has been in a very winning program," Saban said. "He's a very bright guy. He's a good athlete. I thought he was a really good decision maker. Actually, very accurate with the ball. We were kind of excited to get somebody of his caliber to be able to come in and contribute at that position because of our numbers situation there."

Hatcher comes to Alabama from Little Rock's Pulaski Academy. Known for its unorthodox style that includes kicking onside every time and never punting, the Bruins have won four straight state championships.

ricepig

rljjr

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2018, 07:03:00 am »

Good for him. It's a great thing to go to college for free. He'll get a chance to watch a great coach run his organization for as long as both of them are there.

nwahogfan1

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2018, 08:03:20 am »

No way this is a full ride offer.   Maybe a preferred walk-in offer or something.  He is a good kid, works extremely hard at his craft, but no one he is good enough to play QB at Alabama.  It is only major D1 offer.  Saban is good,  it not that dang good.  I guess only time will tell.

I agree with you.  No way this is a scholarship that he signed.    Preferred walk on like you said   I figure we will hear about him transferring in the spring if things do not work out for him. 

Seminole Indian

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2018, 08:23:14 am »

I agree with you.  No way this is a scholarship that he signed.    Preferred walk on like you said   I figure we will hear about him transferring in the spring if things do not work out for him.

He said they had been trying to get him to join their program as a preferred walk-on but he had turned them down, so not a walk-on for sure.

"For a while they've been wanting to do a preferred walk-on type of situation, but we didn't think that was the best idea for me," Hatcher told BamaOnLine. "Then today they came back and gave me an offer to come play for them. I was super excited and I was all onboard for it."

RazorPiggie

« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2018, 08:52:09 am »

colbs

« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2018, 09:21:42 am »

Saban had no idea who he was at first.
ouch

HardingHog

• Varsity
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2018, 10:56:14 am »

sowmonella

• You know I'm right.
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2018, 12:52:05 pm »

That was very uncomfortable to hear. Yikes.

TrueBlue

• "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up."
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2018, 12:58:37 pm »

Options:

Play every day and possibly start at ASU

or

Lead the scout team at Bama and let the 5* recruits pound you in practice everyday.

Steef

• Idylically living in the Valley of the Cats
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2018, 01:09:46 pm »

Well, if he DOES get enrolled and he DOES stick it out, he will have a degree from Alabama.

That's no small thing.

But it doesn't pass the sniff test for motive on Nick's part.

redleg

• Hogvillian
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2018, 01:15:24 pm »

I would have stuck with A-State, too. But I'm not Hatcher. Who knows what might happen?! He's only an injury or two away from playing, especially if Hurts does indeed transfer. His chances of starting are not very high, considering the type of players Bama signs every year, but stranger things have happened.
He should get a quality education, so that's a positive!  :)

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2018, 02:23:58 pm »

ouch

That kid from that place where that coach you know the guy that does that stuff.

The generic words for QBs that aren't that athletic or might be lacking physically.

Smart, winner, makes good decisions, accurate
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 05:15:26 pm by Dwight_K_Shrute »

lasthog

« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2018, 03:18:28 pm »

Itís about money for the program, IMO

Why insult a young man and his family?

In your opinion i guess Bama no longer pays recruits but instead requires money to allow a recruit to sign. Now that's a big change.

Go after Saban to your heart's content.

Seminole Indian

« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2018, 04:13:34 pm »

That kid from that place where that coach you know the guy that does that stuff.

The generic words for QBs that aren't that might be lacking physically.

Smart, winner, makes good decisions, accurate
I think that is the case, but he is an above average athlete.

So when you throw in the fact he is ultra-competitive , tough, and has a very high football IQ, there might be something for the Alabama coaches to work with, especially when he will be surrounded by above average talent.

yraciv

« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2018, 11:13:12 am »

I think that is the case, but he is an above average athlete.

So when you throw in the fact he is ultra-competitive , tough, and has a very high football IQ, there might be something for the Alabama coaches to work with, especially when he will be surrounded by above average talent.

Yeah just cause he doesn't have the prototypical size and can't sling the ball a long way doesn't mean he is not an athlete. Hatcher is capable of making plays with his feet, very accurate, and is a state wrestling champion. He is a pretty tough kid who has excelled at most everything he has done through the years.

tbhogfan

« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2018, 04:24:07 pm »

Offer list:
Arkansas State
Eastern Illinois
Murray State
Alabama

One of these things is not like the others.  One of them just doesn't belong.

Seminole Indian

« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2018, 05:21:03 pm »

Offer list:
Arkansas State
Eastern Illinois
Murray State
Alabama

One of these things is not like the others.  One of them just doesn't belong.
Actually two of those things are not like the others.

I see the point you are making and agree but lets be honest if the Razorbacks(who are FBS) were on the list that one would be still be different than the others, and by a long shot.

In fact I'm warning A-State fans that if they think differently, compare scores after next year, it will be about the same.

Pat Goss

• Senior
  • СДЕЛАТЬ АМЕРИКИ БОЛЬШОЙ СНОВА
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2018, 05:23:06 pm »

Arkansas could have used this guy.

Three-star quarterback and new Alabama commit Layne Hatcherís outing vs. undefeated rival Little Rock Christian last season is one thatíll never be forgotten in local football lore. And it's something he might be asked about on the practice field or inside the quarterback room next season with the Crimson Tide.

The Little Rock, Arkansas native and star at Pulaski Academy threw for 757 yards and was responsible for nine total touchdowns during an 86-56 win last season, shattering numerous program and state records with a performance for the ages. Hatcher completed 36-of-45 passes and finished with nearly 800 yards of total offense, picking up three touchdowns on the ground.

Of course, he would need an offensive line and some receivers.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 06:40:22 pm by Pat Goss »

yraciv

« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2018, 09:39:08 pm »

Arkansas could have used this guy.

Three-star quarterback and new Alabama commit Layne Hatcherís outing vs. undefeated rival Little Rock Christian last season is one thatíll never be forgotten in local football lore. And it's something he might be asked about on the practice field or inside the quarterback room next season with the Crimson Tide.

The Little Rock, Arkansas native and star at Pulaski Academy threw for 757 yards and was responsible for nine total touchdowns during an 86-56 win last season, shattering numerous program and state records with a performance for the ages. Hatcher completed 36-of-45 passes and finished with nearly 800 yards of total offense, picking up three touchdowns on the ground.

Of course, he would need an offensive line and some receivers.

John Stephen Jones numbers vs. more difficult competition look equally impressive. I'm rooting for Lane, but with the class coming in at Bama he will never see the field like many have already stated. The new competition next year is Bear Bryant's grandson and Tua's little brother.

He spent his RS year possibly winning a national title, and practicing with & against some fantastic players. Not a bad way to redshirt, but I could see Layne moving on after this year.

Pat Goss

• Senior
  • СДЕЛАТЬ АМЕРИКИ БОЛЬШОЙ СНОВА
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2018, 08:44:30 am »

At least he has an idea of what Hammer Down means and CCM would have had a quarterback this season
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas