• 9,881,162 Posts
• 398,156 Topics
• 22,802 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Khalil Garland update!  (Read 31832 times)

Razorod

• All-American Hogvillian
Re: Khalil Garland update!
« Reply #150 on: June 30, 2018, 05:48:44 pm »

redneckfriend, thanks for the information! it is very helpful.

IF Garland can play, even if his minutes are closely monitored, that changes my outlook a bit for next season. I think he's a very good player.

Could be the difference between the wrong and right side of the bubble.

niels_boar

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #151 on: June 30, 2018, 06:25:04 pm »

redneckfriend, thanks for the information! it is very helpful.

IF Garland can play, even if his minutes are closely monitored, that changes my outlook a bit for next season. I think he's a very good player.

Could be the difference between the wrong and right side of the bubble.

Yeah, with Garland it would seem that a lot would have to go wrong for our backcourt/wing rotation to not work out, even if he just anchors the second unit.  Having the luxury to bring at least one of (and maybe two if Harris takes ownership of PG) Jones, Joe, Garland, and Embery off the bench should mean that our guards would come in waves.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Razorod

« Reply #152 on: June 30, 2018, 09:19:03 pm »

Yeah, with Garland it would seem that a lot would have to go wrong for our backcourt/wing rotation to not work out, even if he just anchors the second unit.  Having the luxury to bring at least one of (and maybe two if Harris takes ownership of PG) Jones, Joe, Garland, and Embery off the bench should mean that our guards would come in waves.
Which is something we haven't had in a while. Makes the system go.

Superhog1959

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #153 on: July 02, 2018, 01:36:38 pm »

These were two separate thoughts. Not the coagulopathy causing an enlarged spleen, though indeed, an enlarged spleen could be a cause of a bleeding disorder from platelet consumption or sequestration.

I was referring to splenomegaly independent of any coagulopathic cause (perhaps from portal hypertension secondary to cirrhosis from hemochromatosis [though he would be young] vs. Wilson's [would seem unlikely] vs. a hepatitis of some sort vs. another infectious etiology OR a primary splenic process such as splenic sequestration from Sickle Cell [demographically possible though would often resolve after the crisis] vs. extramedullary hematopoiesis from a hemolytic anemia or thalassemia vs. a chronic inflammatory or infectious process [SLE, RA, malaria, etc.] vs. a malignant process [e.g. lymphoma]).

The differential for hepatomegaly is similar and also could result in one being allowed to do anything except contact.

And an enlarged spleen for basically every one of those processes can definitely reduce in size when the cause for it's enlargement is resolved.

I concur 

cram224

• Senior
« Reply #154 on: July 02, 2018, 02:10:33 pm »

I don't think that would be quite what was happening i.e. although splenic enlargement can be part of a bleeding disorder there isn't any way the spleen can be "reduced in size" by treatment. Now it can be removed if the sequestration and destruction of platelets is ongoing but that is a surgery and a one time thing.

If there is truth in what is being reported, and who knows about that- that he his allowed to exercise as hard as he wants but not have contact then I would agree that does not sound like he has a problem with his heart. The whole thing has been a little mysterious since in  general the kinds of cardiac diagnoses that one would expect in someone this age would probably mean his career was over and that doesn't seem to have been decided yet.

If he does have a bleeding disorder perhaps the most likely candidate would be ITP, an autoimmune disorder of platelets (a formed blood element necessary, along with clotting proteins, for blood to coagulate). ITP can occur in younger people and the reason is usually not clear and it can often resolve spontaneously. It can also be treated if refractory (sometimes by splenectomy). Usually first discovered by abnormal bleeding and then the finding of a low platelet count it requires an extensive workup to rule out other causes but once diagnosed, and if not severe, it is often treated by watchful waiting initially.

More speculation without much evidence but I agree with others here that something like this seems to be a more likely candidate than a cardiac cause at this point.

I had ITP, found out about it during a routine blood test when I was in my early thirties. First thought to be leukemia but after further testing it was ITP. Doctors first thought of removing my spleen however with help of prednisone was able to get my platelet count to normal. As I have gotten older I show no signs in my bloodwork.

redneckfriend

• Senior
« Reply #155 on: July 02, 2018, 09:35:01 pm »

I had ITP, found out about it during a routine blood test when I was in my early thirties. First thought to be leukemia but after further testing it was ITP. Doctors first thought of removing my spleen however with help of prednisone was able to get my platelet count to normal. As I have gotten older I show no signs in my bloodwork.

It frequently resolves on its own but it is unpredictable-in younger patients it often doesn't require treatment at all. In older patients prednisone is effective as are other anti-immune drugs with splenectomy as the last resort.

Of course no one has any idea what is wrong with Garland and, given the strict medical privacy rules in force today, unless he or his family make it public probably never will. ITP is just an educated guess but there could certainly be other problems consistent with the "facts" we know. ITP would carry a much more optimistic prognosis for full recovery than the cardiac problems that have been discussed so we can hope.

cram224

• Senior
« Reply #156 on: July 03, 2018, 07:58:40 am »

It frequently resolves on its own but it is unpredictable-in younger patients it often doesn't require treatment at all. In older patients prednisone is effective as are other anti-immune drugs with splenectomy as the last resort.

Of course no one has any idea what is wrong with Garland and, given the strict medical privacy rules in force today, unless he or his family make it public probably never will. ITP is just an educated guess but there could certainly be other problems consistent with the "facts" we know. ITP would carry a much more optimistic prognosis for full recovery than the cardiac problems that have been discussed so we can hope.
I know when I was diagnosed I was told to be very careful of bruising and if I was in an accident that I could bleed to death. If I remember right, ITP could have been caused by a virus.

ArkansasI

• '89 & '92
« Reply #157 on: July 03, 2018, 08:58:04 am »

Interesting information.

I struggle with the concept of allowing exercise without contact...  I know that we don't want people to sit around or lay in bed, but what if he should trip and fall down while running/exercising?  He is an exceptional athlete, but it has been known to happen.

The floor of a basketball court can be far less forgiving than bodies.

pigzwillrise

• WOOOOOOOOOO PIG SOOIE
« Reply #158 on: July 03, 2018, 11:19:29 am »

Interesting information.

I struggle with the concept of allowing exercise without contact...  I know that we don't want people to sit around or lay in bed, but what if he should trip and fall down while running/exercising?  He is an exceptional athlete, but it has been known to happen.

the idea of slipping and falling hard without other players around seems pretty unlikely. Players generally take hard falls because contact creates the fall.

k.c.hawg

« Reply #159 on: July 03, 2018, 11:32:35 am »

Interesting information.

I would be more inclined to believe no contact means no competition. Playing basketball while being hand checked and leaned on, defending, fighting for rebounds is a far different cardiovascular workout from doing drills. My thought was contact means competitive practicing, pick up games....non contact means solo drills.

Kevin McPherson

« Reply #160 on: July 03, 2018, 12:10:52 pm »

I would be more inclined to believe no contact means no competition. Playing basketball while being hand checked and leaned on, defending, fighting for rebounds is a far different cardiovascular workout from doing drills. My thought was contact means competitive practicing, pick up games....non contact means solo drills.

This is correct.

TebowHater

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • DMAC > teBLOW
« Reply #161 on: July 03, 2018, 06:09:06 pm »

Knowing what they do for college athletes (IV's at half time, cortisone shots into any location, lidocaine injections anywhere, etc.), I just don't see it being ITP. They probably would maintained him on IVIG to get him through the season and then let it run its course. They also may have given him one of the new thrombopoesis stimulators like romiplostim (Nplate), eltrombopag (Promacta), or fostamatinib which work really well but are quite expensive.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 06:54:09 pm by TebowHater »

cram224

• Senior
« Reply #162 on: July 03, 2018, 06:15:26 pm »

Knowing what they do for college athletes (IV's at half times, cortisone shots into any location, lidocaine injections anywhere, etc.), I just don't see it being ITP. They probably would maintained him on IVIG to get him through the season and then let it run it's course. They also may have given him one of the new thrombopoesis stimulators like romiplostim (Nplate), eltrombopag (Promacta), or fostamatinib which work really well but are quite expensive.
I like when people use words I can't pronounce.

BannerMountainMan

• WPS

FineAsSwine

• Hogville think tank
« Reply #164 on: July 03, 2018, 08:31:11 pm »

https://twitter.com/khalilgarland3/status/1014262247252742145

Looking good!!! Excited to see him doing any kind of workout right now. I think he is gonna play.

HawgsPolo

• Varsity
« Reply #165 on: July 03, 2018, 09:03:49 pm »

Itís a party yíall

jchill

• Senior
« Reply #166 on: July 04, 2018, 07:33:07 pm »

Looking good!!! Excited to see him doing any kind of workout right now. I think he is gonna play.

I know it was a solo workout, but I love the way he moves. Very smooth player.

k.c.hawg

« Reply #167 on: July 05, 2018, 09:36:16 am »

It is great to hear him be positive. I cannot imagine going through the anguish of having something so important to you, taken away.

You look at him, size, fluid movement and know he would make any basketball team considerably better. I would so much enjoy watching his career as an outstanding Razorback unfold.  Praying this young man still gets to live his dream and if it's not college basketball, that he finds another dream and attacks it like he has basketball.

Rock City Razorback

• Hogvillian
  • Gotta love that helmet!
« Reply #168 on: July 30, 2018, 03:19:08 pm »

When will we know for sure one way or the other? I assume when school starts back up?

pigzwillrise

• WOOOOOOOOOO PIG SOOIE
« Reply #169 on: July 30, 2018, 03:54:22 pm »

When will we know for sure one way or the other? I assume when school starts back up?
maybe sooner. Maybe later. Maybe not.

BannerMountainMan

• WPS
« Reply #170 on: August 01, 2018, 12:48:11 pm »

Kevin said big news is about to break about a bballer, got an itching feeling itís Garland.....idk though

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #171 on: August 01, 2018, 12:50:45 pm »

Don't think it's about KG since Kevin posted in the recruiting forum.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
  • The Plaque for Alternates is in the Ladies room.
« Reply #172 on: August 01, 2018, 01:28:13 pm »

Kevin said big news is about to break about a bballer, got an itching feeling itís Garland.....idk though

Moses Moody going to a prep academy. Mike's probably gonna lose a top in state kid.

Hawg Red

« Reply #173 on: August 01, 2018, 01:28:48 pm »

It was about Moses Moody transferring to Montverde Academy in Florida. I don't believe there is supposed to be any news on Garland until around October.

Hawg Red

« Reply #174 on: August 01, 2018, 01:29:33 pm »

Moses Moody going to a prep academy. Mike's probably gonna lose a top in state kid.

THE top in-state kid.

Luckily there are still several really good options for that class.

Mike Irwin

« Reply #175 on: August 01, 2018, 02:09:11 pm »

I certainly hope that somehow my opinion is wrong and that Khalil is cleared to play.  However, I don't believe he will ever play because no doctor wants to responsible if something was to happen.  First, his condition is not an injury that time will heal and second, if his condition is something medication or an operation would fix, that would have already been done.
This what I continue to hear from people I know close to the basketball team. It all goes back to Garrett Uekman's tragic death. The protocol for physical exams changed drastically after that. As it was put to me, "That kid died playing a video game in his room. We should have caught his condition and we didn't. So these days we are taking no chances. We don't want something like that to ever happen again and certainly not when we know they have a potential life threatening condition."

azhog10

• Razorback Basketball on the rise!
« Reply #176 on: August 01, 2018, 02:11:26 pm »

This what I continue to hear from people I know close to the basketball team. It all goes back to Garrett Uekman's tragic death. The protocol for physical exams changed drastically after that. As it was put to me, "That kid died playing a video game in his room. We should have caught his condition and we didn't. So these days we are taking no chances. We don't want something like that to ever happen again and certainly not when we know they have a potential life threatening condition."
So have they banned Garland from playing Fortnite?

thebignasty

• I find your lack of faith... disturbing.
« Reply #177 on: August 01, 2018, 02:16:55 pm »

So have they banned Garland from playing Fortnite?
What is the point of this stupid ass comment?

azhog10

« Reply #178 on: August 01, 2018, 02:21:14 pm »

I'm saying using GU as a reason for KG is stupid. GU died playing video games. Not practicing, not playing in a real game exerting energy. So if you are using the death of someone who died in his dorm room doing something that almost every boy in college does, then you are going to have to do these type of tests for just normal students. I hope the University isn't using the GU as a reason to keep KG off the court. I HOPE they have more basis for what is going on.

This is coming from someone who knows nothing about the situation. 

Amityvillehogger

• Veni, vidi, vici...
« Reply #179 on: August 01, 2018, 02:21:42 pm »

To be a dumbass

Hawg Red

« Reply #180 on: August 01, 2018, 02:38:40 pm »

I'm saying using GU as a reason for KG is stupid. GU died playing video games. Not practicing, not playing in a real game exerting energy. So if you are using the death of someone who died in his dorm room doing something that almost every boy in college does, then you are going to have to do these type of tests for just normal students. I hope the University isn't using the GU as a reason to keep KG off the court. I HOPE they have more basis for what is going on.

I think you're taking more out of that comment than you should. I took it as them saying it was a major shock that they had a kid just drop dead in his dorm/apartment from something they feel they could have done more to possibly identify. Obviously he didn't die from the video game. The video games are neither here nor there. With athletes in the athletic department, there is an expectation that the university is taking care of them from a healthcare standpoint (especially since they aren't receiving actual pay from the money they make the university). Healthcare goes hand-in-hand with athletics and the university takes on a lot of that responsibility when a player accepts an athletic scholarship.

hoglady

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #181 on: August 01, 2018, 03:31:12 pm »

I think the point was - Uekman had a condition that could have been identified if a more thorough physical was done by the athletic department, most likely saving the kid's life. The protocol for physicals changed after that.

Mike Irwin

« Reply #182 on: August 01, 2018, 05:04:07 pm »

I think you're taking more out of that comment than you should. I took it as them saying it was a major shock that they had a kid just drop dead in his dorm/apartment from something they feel they could have done more to possibly identify. Obviously he didn't die from the video game. The video games are neither here nor there. With athletes in the athletic department, there is an expectation that the university is taking care of them from a healthcare standpoint (especially since they aren't receiving actual pay from the money they make the university). Healthcare goes hand-in-hand with athletics and the university takes on a lot of that responsibility when a player accepts an athletic scholarship.
Stress can cause huge problems for people with heart conditions. I have a lifelong friend who had a dog that he was constantly having to worry about. The dog kept trying to dig under the backyard fence. The guy was afraid the dog would get out and hurt somebody or possibly kill somebody's pet. One day the dog disappeared and the guy went bonkers trying to find it. He ended up in the hospital after suffering a stroke.

He never found the dog but since then his blood pressure has been normal and he admits he never realized how much that situation was affecting his health. He knew he had blood pressure spikes but didn't know what was causing it.

Something as simple as getting hyped up playing a video game can create a serious issue with somebody who has a heart condition. I was told that they're worried about that sort of thing affecting Garland. Not playing a video game but the stress of a real game. Especially a big one that goes down to the wire with lots of emotion involved.

Are they being overly cautious? Maybe. But as I've stated they don't want to go through that situation ever again.

Dominicanhog

« Reply #183 on: August 01, 2018, 08:06:20 pm »

I think after its all said and done.. Chris Moore or Jaylin Williams are considered the best player from the 2020 instate class..but let's not miss an opportunity to degrade Mike.. two years out, I might add.. still that same old POS..

razorback1829

• Senior
« Reply #184 on: August 01, 2018, 09:54:51 pm »

Heís not instate anymore.

ShadowHawg

« Reply #185 on: August 02, 2018, 05:47:19 am »

Is Mike losing him or has Moody already decided to go the dirty money/benefit route?

Your bias is showing.

razorback1829

• Senior
« Reply #186 on: August 02, 2018, 08:03:10 am »

Is Mike losing him or has Moody already decided to go the dirty money/benefit route?

Your bias is showing.

Will be hand delivered to a program. Florida is my best guess. They already have this one in the bag.

Hawg Red

« Reply #187 on: August 02, 2018, 08:10:53 am »

Your bias is showing.

Or, and stick with me, maybe Moody just isn't interested in a program like Arkansas. Money or no money. That's well within the range of outcomes.

It doesn't have to be either Mike just can't sell him or Moody is getting paid. There is an in-between there that's possible. Wouldn't be so quick to throw that bias stone.

azhog10

« Reply #188 on: August 02, 2018, 08:47:51 am »

I think the point was - Uekman had a condition that could have been identified if a more thorough physical was done by the athletic department, most likely saving the kid's life. The protocol for physicals changed after that.
Now that I can agree with and makes sense.

azhog10

« Reply #189 on: August 02, 2018, 08:50:40 am »

Or, and stick with me, maybe Moody just isn't interested in a program like Arkansas. Money or no money. That's well within the range of outcomes.

It doesn't have to be either Mike just can't sell him or Moody is getting paid. There is an in-between there that's possible. Wouldn't be so quick to throw that bias stone.
Agreed. Id also point out that Moses isnít the loyal and committed type. Heís jumped around nearly every year for high school so you honestly canít believe heís going to be like Portis who loved the idea of being a Razorback. Moses will do what he thinks betters his NBA potential. Nothing wrong with that and I think Arkansas is as good a place as any. However Iím not Moses.

Hawg Red

« Reply #190 on: August 02, 2018, 09:38:13 am »

Agreed. Id also point out that Moses isnít the loyal and committed type. Heís jumped around nearly every year for high school so you honestly canít believe heís going to be like Portis who loved the idea of being a Razorback. Moses will do what he thinks betters his NBA potential. Nothing wrong with that and I think Arkansas is as good a place as any. However Iím not Moses.

Totally.

Portis wanted to play for Arkansas. Moses wants to be a professional and we are seeing that with how his development and team/school placement has unfolded. Not that Portis didn't want to be a professional but a big part of his dream was being a Razorback. It seems Moody just wants to be a really great basketball player and has no emotional attachment to the college aspect.

ShadowHawg

« Reply #191 on: August 02, 2018, 10:54:37 am »

The implication was that our coach just canít pull these kids of this caliber. That was the reason for mentioning bias which is 100% accurate given the source of the post replied too.

I think Allen is the only kid that was truly up for grabs.

Goodwin literally said it was a business decision. Definitely some shadiness with Monk.

This kid has firmly imbedded himself in the blue blood system for ďbrandingĒ purposes. Branding is a fancy name for pay me in the form of money now or future services or both.

azhog10

« Reply #192 on: August 02, 2018, 11:30:33 am »

Totally.

Portis wanted to play for Arkansas. Moses wants to be a professional and we are seeing that with how his development and team/school placement has unfolded. Not that Portis didn't want to be a professional but a big part of his dream was being a Razorback. It seems Moody just wants to be a really great basketball player and has no emotional attachment to the college aspect.
BUT if I'm Moses, you have to look at past Arkansas kids and their NBA aspirations and thinking a certain spot will better them. While it may result in a higher draft slot, it does not equate to NBA longevity and success. Traditionally the more successful Arkansas kids in the NBA went to Arkansas....that's more the norm than not.

Hawg Red

« Reply #193 on: August 02, 2018, 12:55:49 pm »

The implication was that our coach just canít pull these kids of this caliber. That was the reason for mentioning bias which is 100% accurate given the source of the post replied too.

I think Allen is the only kid that was truly up for grabs.

Goodwin literally said it was a business decision. Definitely some shadiness with Monk.

This kid has firmly imbedded himself in the blue blood system for ďbrandingĒ purposes. Branding is a fancy name for pay me in the form of money now or future services or both.

Not every kid that handles their recruitment or career development like Moody is looking for a handout. I think you're being unfair to Moses Moody and his family.

What would you say if a player committed to Arkansas, say a big man after Gafford is drafted, and they were quoted as saying it was a business decision to come to Arkansas? Does that mean that player received money to come here, or that he thought it was a good decision for his development to come to a school that recently produced two first-round NBA big men?

Big Nasty 34

• John 3:16
« Reply #194 on: August 02, 2018, 05:45:03 pm »

Will be hand delivered to a program. Florida is my best guess. They already have this one in the bag.

Would be shocked if it wasnít Florida.

ShadowHawg

« Reply #195 on: August 03, 2018, 06:13:57 am »

Not every kid that handles their recruitment or career development like Moody is looking for a handout. I think you're being unfair to Moses Moody and his family.

What would you say if a player committed to Arkansas, say a big man after Gafford is drafted, and they were quoted as saying it was a business decision to come to Arkansas? Does that mean that player received money to come here, or that he thought it was a good decision for his development to come to a school that recently produced two first-round NBA big men?

I guess you missed the FBI probe? Putting it on Moody himself is unfair because it really is the people around these kids who are to blame.

Moody doesnít have to do what he is to get an offer from a blue blood, see McBride, or to be a lottery pick, see Gafford.

He is in the system where the majority of dirty dealing is done and you are trying to promote it as innocent.

Hawg Red

« Reply #196 on: August 03, 2018, 08:11:02 am »

I guess you missed the FBI probe? Putting it on Moody himself is unfair because it really is the people around these kids who are to blame.

Moody doesnít have to do what he is to get an offer from a blue blood, see McBride, or to be a lottery pick, see Gafford.

He is in the system where the majority of dirty dealing is done and you are trying to promote it as innocent.

There's a difference in promoting innocence and not making assumptions, especially ones that devalues a kid's character (or his families). You're super jaded. I get it. But not everyone who is on a big-time AAU team or transfers to a big prep program is on the take. Moses Kingsley went to Huntington Prep. Someone get paid off that? This is the corner you've put yourself in. And for what? You're mad the kid went out of state for the rest of high school career and he might not come to Arkansas? We'll be alright.

Pigcrazy

• Band Nerd
« Reply #197 on: August 03, 2018, 08:17:32 am »

This is a thread about Garland, not Moody or anyone else. Please keep it that way.

jb11

• Senior
« Reply #198 on: August 03, 2018, 10:44:06 am »

This is a thread about Garland, not Moody or anyone else. Please keep it that way.
HAHAHAHHAHAH. Yeah right. You should know any thread over 2 pages long turns into a pissing match totally off subject.

Pork Twain

• Gold Hogvillian
  • aka Beopig
    • Facebook
« Reply #199 on: August 04, 2018, 01:50:40 am »

MAYBE...it will get back on track when there is actually some news on Garland.  Until then, enjoy the ride...or don't
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas