• 395,957 Topics
• 22,375 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Khalil Garland update!  (Read 26223 times)

Kevin McPherson

• Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Khalil Garland update!
« on: May 21, 2018, 07:02:40 pm »

* UPDATE: Even though Head Hog Mike Anderson said earlier today that freshman CG @khalilgarland3's playing status has not changed, per source I can report Arkansas has increased his basketball-related activities relative to what he'd been doing during '17-18 season ... stay tuned!

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/998715347837620224

* Hogs missed out on @khalilgarland3's perimeter versatility last yr ... 2017 ESPN Nat'l No. 58 / 4* prospect can play all 3 backcourt spots, he's bouncy w/ability to slice through a D & finish w/either hand, & he's the best down-hill finisher I've seen in Arkansas in some time ...

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/998718170532843521
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 07:23:31 pm by Kevin McPherson »

batmanfan

Re: Khalil Garland update!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 07:05:54 pm »

Getting my hopes up again lol.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

King Kong

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 07:10:08 pm »

Probably only worth one !

Kevin McPherson

• Hogvillian
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 07:24:27 pm »

Probably only worth one !

In hindsight, 100% agree ... modified and drilled down to one ! ... and I added another tweet to the OP.

King Kong

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 07:38:10 pm »

In hindsight, 100% agree ... modified and drilled down to one ! ... and I added another tweet to the OP.

Grateful for the info.

Hawg Red

Re: Khalil Garland update!
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 07:38:52 pm »

Donít call it a comeback...

SSFrazorback

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 08:17:22 pm »

How much was he allowed to do last year?  More than shooting?

hawginbigd1

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 08:49:40 pm »

You had me at maybe!

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2018, 09:59:44 pm »

If Garland gets cleared this is gonna be a scary team guys. Harris/Joe/Garland/Jones/Sills/Embery/Phillips I have no clue who you start, be fun to see em battle out for it

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2018, 10:01:18 pm »

Hope it works out.  Have wanted this more for KG than for the Hogs.  Also curious as previous poster had asked what has he be able to do this past year?

PORKULATOR

• knows how to 'dunk the crumpets'
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2018, 10:06:53 pm »

I'm not only praying for him, I'm about to look into top secret Nanobot recovery solutions and have them administered with him none the wiser. NC through Nano tech offend anyone?
😉😃

Y'all be nice to one another and be patient... If its gonna happen, it'll happen when its supposed to.
Ny

checkraiser88

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2018, 10:38:07 pm »

He'll be playing this year guys.

McKdaddy

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2018, 11:24:19 pm »

He'll be playing this year guys.

:o

Iím praying that is the case for KGís sake and enjoyment of the game.....and for the Hogs.

Truth Hog

• Walk-On
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2018, 07:32:12 am »

Hope it works out.  Have wanted this more for KG than for the Hogs.  Also curious as previous poster had asked what has he be able to do this past year?

If I am not mistaken, I believed he could do all drills in practice that led up to the scrimmage/5on5 portions of practice. Once the team would go up and down, that is when KG would have to sit. I am not sure what he was or was not allowed to do in the weight room or if he even was allowed to lift.

razorback1829

• Senior
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2018, 07:37:57 am »

I just have to say that Kevin is not correct, and may have gotten some bad info. There hasnít been any basketball activities this month, and wonít be until literally the last day of this month. So no, KG hasnít played in any new team  activities. At least not with the team and coaches.

Hawg Red

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2018, 08:16:12 am »

I just have to say that Kevin is not correct, and may have gotten some bad info. There hasnít been any basketball activities this month, and wonít be until literally the last day of this month. So no, KG hasnít played in any new team  activities. At least not with the team and coaches.

What if one of you got some bad info but it wasn't Kevin....

batmanfan

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2018, 08:45:11 am »

Maybe he got news that he had progressed enough in the last meeting with the doctors that he was able to up the basketball related activities when everyone was still in school the last few weeks? That makes sense to me.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2018, 08:45:47 am »

If Garland gets cleared this is gonna be a scary team guys. Harris/Joe/Garland/Jones/Sills/Embery/Phillips I have no clue who you start, be fun to see em battle out for it

If Garland gets cleared, that would be great and I would be excited for him but as for how scary the team will be this season, that's a wait and see proposition. This will be a seriously young team and none of the newcomers are Elite 5 star players.

FineAsSwine

• Hogville think tank
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2018, 08:52:40 am »

If Garland gets cleared, that would be great and I would be excited for him but as for how scary the team will be this season, that's a wait and see proposition. This will be a seriously young team and none of the newcomers are Elite 5 star players.

Neither was Scotty Thurman. Pat Bradley, Lindsey Howell, etc. etc. Those guys did ok.

razorback1829

• Senior
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2018, 08:55:27 am »

What if one of you got some bad info but it wasn't Kevin....

Kids have been done with school for a week. Took off finals week and then have the rest of the month to do what they want to. Most havenít even been in town. Freshman check in on the 28th. Donít shoot he messenger.

He did take the tweets down... just sayin.

Cloften

• Walk-On
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2018, 09:03:03 am »

Kevinís tweets are still there. What do you mean took them down?

batmanfan

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2018, 09:03:24 am »

Kids have been done with school for a week. Took off finals week and then have the rest of the month to do what they want to. Most havenít even been in town. Freshman check in on the 28th. Donít shoot he messenger.

He did take the tweets down... just sayin.

Tweets are still there and Garland has "liked" it.

mbgrulz

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2018, 09:37:52 am »

Neither was Scotty Thurman. Pat Bradley, Lindsey Howell, etc. etc. Those guys did ok.

Or, more recently, Daniel Gafford...KG would have easily been the 3rd best guard on last year's team.

razorback1829

• Senior
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2018, 09:39:43 am »

Or, more recently, Daniel Gafford...KG would have easily been the 3rd best guard on last year's team.

Was a top 60 prospect. Def couldíve used length on the perimeter.

STLhawg

• Senior
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2018, 09:51:49 am »

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2018/may/22/anderson-ua-guard-not-cleared-20180522/

"Arkansas Razorbacks Coach Mike Anderson said Monday that Khalil Garland still isn't medically cleared to practice."

Doesnt sound like anything has changed to me.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2018, 10:08:30 am »

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2018/may/22/anderson-ua-guard-not-cleared-20180522/

"Arkansas Razorbacks Coach Mike Anderson said Monday that Khalil Garland still isn't medically cleared to practice."

Doesnt sound like anything has changed to me.

Kevin prefaced his post by stating that exact thing, what MA had said.  It could be that his medically not cleared to play status has not changed, but they have been given the OK to let him increase activity.  Kevin's insight and MA's statement do not contradict each other.  I'm also fairly sure if Kevin feels he got incorrect info or gets additional information he will correct or revise what he said.

Kevin McPherson

• Hogvillian
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2018, 11:04:57 am »

Kevin prefaced his post by stating that exact thing, what MA had said.  It could be that his medically not cleared to play status has not changed, but they have been given the OK to let him increase activity.  Kevin's insight and MA's statement do not contradict each other.  I'm also fairly sure if Kevin feels he got incorrect info or gets additional information he will correct or revise what he said.

Sorry, I guess I missed all the fun ITT, just now getting to it ... my source is solid = info is correct. However, please read what I post carefully. I'm not saying KG has been cleared. What I said is that his "basketball-related activities" have been increased and that its relative to what he'd been doing. It has nothing to do with when basketball activities ceased for the team, or when school got out, etc. It's about him being given more that what he was doing before, simple as that. FWIW, he's been home for a couple of weeks and will be back on campus in a few days.

Also, I knew by posting what I did it would bring a lot of speculation. KG has NOT been cleared medically, and though he and his family are hopeful, that remains the situation. I thought news that his basketball-related activities were being increased was relevant, I trust the source, and I brought the info.

Even though there is a wide canyon between being cleared and increased activity, I understand that if he's never cleared that folks who've chosen to connect dots that are not yet connectable might criticize me for reporting what I did ... Lanny and I talked a bit earlier today about that very thing.

skinnypig

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2018, 11:17:32 am »

man I want to see this kid play so bad.

McKdaddy

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2018, 11:47:26 am »

Sorry, I guess I missed all the fun ITT, just now getting to it ... my source is solid = info is correct. However, please read what I post carefully. I'm not saying KG has been cleared. What I said is that his "basketball-related activities" have been increased and that its relative to what he'd been doing. It has nothing to do with when basketball activities ceased for the team, or when school got out, etc. It's about him being given more that what he was doing before, simple as that. FWIW, he's been home for a couple of weeks and will be back on campus in a few days.

Also, I knew by posting what I did it would bring a lot of speculation. KG has NOT been cleared medically, and though he and his family are hopeful, that remains the situation. I thought news that his basketball-related activities were being increased was relevant, I trust the source, and I brought the info.

Even though there is a wide canyon between being cleared and increased activity, I understand that if he's never cleared that folks who've chosen to connect dots that are not yet connectable might criticize me for reporting what I did ... Lanny and I talked a bit earlier today about that very thing.

I interpreted it in your first post exactly as you intended.....simply, increased bball activity, not cleared to play.  Thanks for the updates, KM.

(mythical +1)

k.c.hawg

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2018, 12:03:31 pm »

Appreciate the report and felt it was rather clear what your message was. The way I see it is maybe they want to see what test results show through a period of increased activity. Regardless of whether he ever get's medically cleared to play, this is good news for the young man, as it would appear he's getting closer to living a normal active life.

razorback1829

• Senior
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2018, 12:16:46 pm »

Just hoping for the best! Thanks for the info. Wasnít trying to combat.

niels_boar

• Senior
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2018, 12:17:28 pm »

Garland could have been cleared to do more basketball activities without actually having participated in those activities yet.  Hence, there is no contradiction in being given permission to do activities that won't be started until next month.

Kevin McPherson

• Hogvillian
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2018, 12:33:10 pm »

Just hoping for the best! Thanks for the info. Wasnít trying to combat.

Honestly, I didn't take it that you were being combative or contrarian. After all this time, any change in the situation without a lot of detail given causes speculation and human-nature dot-connecting ... without details, some things don't seem to add up and it's human nature to doubt or question. I get it, and I appreciate the input even when it may not line up with my reporting of what I believe are the facts based on the vetting I do ... that goes for my opinions as well = we all have those and there's room for them all.

Hawg Red

« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2018, 03:14:03 pm »

Kevin, can you speak to if there is any kind of rough timeline for when an ultimate decision will be made about Garland's fate as it pertains to playing college basketball at Arkansas? Like, is it going to be a now-or-never type of deal right before the season starts and they would declare him "medically unfit" at that point and move on basketball-wise (obviously still honoring his scholarship academically if he chooses to stay at the school)? Activity has increased but I'm getting the sense that there might still be quite a ways to go for him to be cleared, if I'm reading the tea leaves correctly.

Understandable if you're not at liberty or do not possess that info, or if anything like that has even been discussed.

Kevin McPherson

• Hogvillian
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2018, 03:41:24 pm »

Kevin, can you speak to if there is any kind of rough timeline for when an ultimate decision will be made about Garland's fate as it pertains to playing college basketball at Arkansas? Like, is it going to be a now-or-never type of deal right before the season starts and they would declare him "medically unfit" at that point and move on basketball-wise (obviously still honoring his scholarship academically if he chooses to stay at the school)? Activity has increased but I'm getting the sense that there might still be quite a ways to go for him to be cleared, if I'm reading the tea leaves correctly.

Understandable if you're not at liberty or do not possess that info, or if anything like that has even been discussed.

Thanks for the questions, but I'm not going any further with information at this time. I have my reasons for sharing as much as I did, chief among them being that it seemed to be a relevant update outside of nothing new, still not cleared. I'm stopping right there ... for now.

mhuff

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2018, 04:02:31 pm »

Thanks Kevin. I know your posts are high integrity info from reliable sources

Nosboar Accubond

• High-tech Redneck
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2018, 08:06:58 pm »

I hear his activities have increased 10-12%...

HoopS

« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2018, 08:44:59 pm »

Donít call it a comeback...
heís been here a year....

hawgball40

« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2018, 11:45:45 pm »

You can't help but to feel bad for the guy and root for him. I'm pulling for him. Just cause i hate to see people lose their dream, especially at such a young age, it must be very difficult for him to deal with. that's why i think fans need to be encouraging him on social media, he needs love and support from our fanbase.

labb

• Senior
  • lower arkansas basketball fan
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2018, 08:21:55 am »

For what it is worth I have been told that his Grandfather says he will play next season.

FineAsSwine

• Hogville think tank
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2018, 09:19:23 am »

For what it is worth I have been told that his Grandfather says he will play next season.

There must have been something that indicated progress in his condition to warrant a change in his activity level with the team. Must be trending in the right direction.

Let's hope he get's some great news in the next month or two.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
  • The Plaque for Alternates is in the Ladies room.
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2018, 10:14:14 am »

Much biggers than last year.

Kevin McPherson

• Hogvillian
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2018, 09:15:37 pm »

Went to Khalil Garland's workout last night in Little Rock ... here are my 6 tweets (1 photo and 5 videos) ...

* Before he gets back up to the Hill this weekend, I got to catch up with Hog freshman @khalilgarland3 tonight right here in the Rock ...  always good to see the 501 Boss!

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/999508906522136576

* Hog freshman @khalilgarland3 looked good during a brief workout Wednesday night in the 501! He made this reel legit with a smash at the end ...

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/999522892323926016

* One of the best slashers I've seen come through Arkansas is Hog @khalilgarland3 ... he gets to the cup quickly & can cash it in gracefully with either hand ... joining him in Wednesday night's workout were @CalvinAllen03 of College of the Ozarks & @turner_kaleb of Arkansas Tech.

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/999523444520779776

* Hog freshman @khalilgarland3 gives the rim another check-up during a brief Wednesday workout in the 501 ...

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/999524015894036480

* 501 Boss smooth in the mid range! Hog freshman @khalilgarland3

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/999524392307757057

* Hog freshman @khalilgarland3 cruises in for a flush to get us started ... ballers @turner_kaleb & @CalvinAllen03 also get buckets in this dribble-drive-&-score drill ... then KG caps this reel with a Euro-step finish ...

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/999526506111164416

Hogimus Prime

• Roll Out
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2018, 09:42:12 pm »

This gives the Hogs a Ray of hope

Hoggle

« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2018, 09:47:11 pm »

Went to Khalil Garland's workout last night in Little Rock ... here are my 6 tweets (1 photo and 5 videos) ...

* Before he gets back up to the Hill this weekend, I got to catch up with Hog freshman @khalilgarland3 tonight right here in the Rock ...  always good to see the 501 Boss!

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/999508906522136576

* Hog freshman @khalilgarland3 looked good during a brief workout Wednesday night in the 501! He made this reel legit with a smash at the end ...

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/999522892323926016

* One of the best slashers I've seen come through Arkansas is Hog @khalilgarland3 ... he gets to the cup quickly & can cash it in gracefully with either hand ... joining him in Wednesday night's workout were @CalvinAllen03 of College of the Ozarks & @turner_kaleb of Arkansas Tech.

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/999523444520779776

* Hog freshman @khalilgarland3 gives the rim another check-up during a brief Wednesday workout in the 501 ...

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/999524015894036480

* 501 Boss smooth in the mid range! Hog freshman @khalilgarland3

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/999524392307757057

* Hog freshman @khalilgarland3 cruises in for a flush to get us started ... ballers @turner_kaleb & @CalvinAllen03 also get buckets in this dribble-drive-&-score drill ... then KG caps this reel with a Euro-step finish ...

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/999526506111164416

Thanks for the clips!

Question. Iíve seen a handful of Khalilís highlights and have never seen him shoot a 3. Can he shoot at all?  He isnít going to be driving to the basket against SEC defenders who are sagging off of him... matter of fact, he will be a liability if he canít shoot 3ís at a reasonable clip.

logic

« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2018, 02:14:26 am »

I certainly hope that somehow my opinion is wrong and that Khalil is cleared to play.  However, I don't believe he will ever play because no doctor wants to responsible if something was to happen.  First, his condition is not an injury that time will heal and second, if his condition is something medication or an operation would fix, that would have already been done.

Kevin McPherson

• Hogvillian
« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2018, 09:13:28 am »

Thanks for the clips!

Question. Iíve seen a handful of Khalilís highlights and have never seen him shoot a 3. Can he shoot at all?  He isnít going to be driving to the basket against SEC defenders who are sagging off of him... matter of fact, he will be a liability if he canít shoot 3ís at a reasonable clip.

Khalil was an efficient 3-point shooter as a senior at LRParkview (was over 40%), but he only took like 30 or so 3s the entire season (about one attempt per game on average).

k.c.hawg

« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2018, 09:54:43 am »

I certainly hope that somehow my opinion is wrong and that Khalil is cleared to play.  However, I don't believe he will ever play because no doctor wants to responsible if something was to happen.  First, his condition is not an injury that time will heal and second, if his condition is something medication or an operation would fix, that would have already been done.

Not necessarily true. I have no idea about KG's condition however, I had a friend with a condition he was unaware of that involved the heart muscle. When it was discovered his heart was pumping at 30% of capacity. First step was to get him on medication, the second step was a year of normal activity while the heart got stronger and pumping at closer to capacity. Then more strenuous exercise was allowed.

niels_boar

• Senior
« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2018, 10:11:05 am »

I didn't realize Khalil was that big.  He would be the first true wing with all-around skills that has been around here since Weems.

The_Bionic_Pig

• VICTORY IS MINE!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Orlando, Florida
    • My YOUTUBE profile & vids
« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2018, 12:51:16 pm »

I've had the exact same opinion from the fall of last season until yesterday...he may not play early but I believe his progression has him on the right path this upcoming season.  Much more active.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas