• 9,880,375 Posts
• 398,144 Topics
• 22,800 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flying - are airlines really this stupid?  (Read 611 times)

HoginMemphis

Flying - are airlines really this stupid?
« on: May 20, 2018, 07:57:40 pm »

Are airlines intentionally running flights the way they do or are the people calling the shots generally not very smart?

Obvious pure dumbass methods used by airlines for loading passengers and passenger carry ons:

1. Loading plane from front to rear;
2. Loading without priority given to window seats vs middle and/or aisle seats;
3. NOT loading carry ons ahead of passenger loadings;

If I am first or business class, I would much prefer to be last one on the plane and among first off. Why would anyone want a plane full of economy class yokels bumping past them and hitting them with their carryon luggage? Load from back of the plane and tell passengers they cannot use overhead bins before the row of their seat and have the nazi stewardess' monitor the boarding.

The airlines know where everyone is sitting. Why not load window passengers first? That way, no one is delayed in boarding process with someone having to get up and let a passenger by them. Then load middle seats, then load aisle seated passengers last.

Load old people, kids, and handicapped last so they do not slow anyone else down in boarding process. Do not load them first.

Can airlines have a few people take carryons at the gate and put them in the overhead bins so that passengers can just walk on and sit down? Carryons would be in bins above passenger row.  It's not rocket surgery.

For an hour flight, it takes over 30 minutes to load a plane with 90 passengers. Ridiculous.

Hogwop

• All-American Hogvillian
  • You've raised my frosty dander!
Re: Flying - are airlines really this stupid?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 08:01:20 pm »

You can always drive and not bitch about everything but that wouldn't be near as fun

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

HoginMemphis

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 08:07:21 pm »

You can always drive and not bitch about everything but that wouldn't be near as fun
You work for an airline? I always drive when practical...cheaper, less stressful and in control of everything.

Vantage 8 dude

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 08:57:03 am »

Are airlines intentionally running flights the way they do or are the people calling the shots generally not very smart?

Obvious pure dumbass methods used by airlines for loading passengers and passenger carry ons:

If I am first or business class, I would much prefer to be last one on the plane and among first off. Why would anyone want a plane full of economy class yokels bumping past them and hitting them with their carryon luggage? Load from back of the plane and tell passengers they cannot use overhead bins before the row of their seat and have the nazi stewardess' monitor the boarding.

The airlines know where everyone is sitting. Why not load window passengers first? That way, no one is delayed in boarding process with someone having to get up and let a passenger by them. Then load middle seats, then load aisle seated passengers last.

Load old people, kids, and handicapped last so they do not slow anyone else down in boarding process. Do not load them first.

Can airlines have a few people take carryons at the gate and put them in the overhead bins so that passengers can just walk on and sit down? Carryons would be in bins above passenger row.  It's not rocket surgery.

For an hour flight, it takes over 30 minutes to load a plane with 90 passengers. Ridiculous.
Rocket surgery ??? :o Now THAT'S a new one I have to admit. Thought I had been around long enough to hear just about everything.  :-X

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 10:59:48 am »

Yes they are and I not flown since 9/11.

kodiakisland

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 08:27:36 am »

Rocket surgery ??? :o Now THAT'S a new one I have to admit. Thought I had been around long enough to hear just about everything.  :-X

Rocket surgeon and rocket surgery are terms that probably became popular just in the last 20 years or so.  I don't recall hearing it growing up, but think I remember it from the late 90s.

As far as the airlines go, I fly as little as possible now.  Flying used to be fun.  Now it is just one hassle after another.

Vantage 8 dude

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 10:53:06 am »

Rocket surgeon and rocket surgery are terms that probably became popular just in the last 20 years or so.  I don't recall hearing it growing up, but think I remember it from the late 90s.

As far as the airlines go, I fly as little as possible now.  Flying used to be fun.  Now it is just one hassle after another.
Well if flying used to be fun you either have a FAR better memory than me (wouldn't be too difficult) or you happened to fly different airlines than I did. Then again, could be a combination of the two.

kodiakisland

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2018, 12:24:59 pm »

Well if flying used to be fun you either have a FAR better memory than me (wouldn't be too difficult) or you happened to fly different airlines than I did. Then again, could be a combination of the two.

I just remember how different flying was in the 70's.  It was a completely different experience than now.  They actually treated you like a valued customer and made the flights enjoyable.  Now it's a grind.

• Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2018, 03:48:07 pm »

Yes they are and I not flown since 9/11.
If you haven't flown in 17 years, do you really have a valid opinion of what it's like to fly now?

McKdaddy

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2018, 04:32:53 pm »

If you haven't flown in 17 years, do you really have a valid opinion of what it's like to fly now?

Ha!

I enjoy flying b/c the time spent in the terminal and on the plane w/ headphones & a movie seem to be the only peace & quiet I get.

Vantage 8 dude

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2018, 02:55:39 pm »

I just remember how different flying was in the 70's.  It was a completely different experience than now.  They actually treated you like a valued customer and made the flights enjoyable.  Now it's a grind.
Not arguing the fact, however, I believe that most of the decline in any "fun" that might have been had back then comes in part from two primary factors. First, the massive increased volume in the number of folks flying, even with increased aircraft, there are clearly far more flights than ever before and Two, all the extra security requirements that have been instituted especially as a result of 9/11. I'm afraid things are likely only going to get worse over time (sigh). :( >:(

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2018, 02:14:55 pm »

Sure flying can be fun. It is what you make of it. Besides most people like getting there in less than half the time it would take to drive. The farther the drive the faster relatively a plane gets you there.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2018, 02:15:54 pm »

No kidding. They even have a new fangled engine called jets................

theFlyingHog

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2018, 10:09:36 pm »

I used to work for an airline. Had to go through five weeks of actually pretty intensive training at headquarters(Flagship U, DFW area). They have a very sophisticated plan for boarding the aircraft, well, the airlines with assigned seating. Each group is set up to flow to the back of the plane and fill in the window seats and it works its way to the front in a very logical manner. Then they go and fuhck it all up by giving platinum/elite people the chance to board first. Add in your pre-boards like military and small children and prisoners and handicapped(is that PC?) and the Air Marshal if one is on and anyone else with a firearm(secret service) and you get a chaotic mess that makes the whole boarding group plan a ridiculous waste of effort. I fly first class pretty often and would prefer to wait until everyone else is on the plane(if Iím not flying the plane I HATE being on them these days) but you wonít get any overhead space if you wait because thereís always some jackass sitting in the back who put his bag in your overhead on his way down the aisle.

theFlyingHog

HoginMemphis

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2018, 10:46:07 am »

I used to work for an airline. Had to go through five weeks of actually pretty intensive training at headquarters(Flagship U, DFW area). They have a very sophisticated plan for boarding the aircraft, well, the airlines with assigned seating. Each group is set up to flow to the back of the plane and fill in the window seats and it works its way to the front in a very logical manner. Then they go and fuhck it all up by giving platinum/elite people the chance to board first. Add in your pre-boards like military and small children and prisoners and handicapped(is that PC?) and the Air Marshal if one is on and anyone else with a firearm(secret service) and you get a chaotic mess that makes the whole boarding group plan a ridiculous waste of effort. I fly first class pretty often and would prefer to wait until everyone else is on the plane(if Iím not flying the plane I HATE being on them these days) but you wonít get any overhead space if you wait because thereís always some jackass sitting in the back who put his bag in your overhead on his way down the aisle.
Good to know from someone who was an airline employee/pilot. So, I am right about this fustercluck?

The video you posted is interesting. Why do airlines think business class passengers want to be seated first? Boarding the plane is not a race or a status symbol. If I am sitting at front of plane, I want to be boarded last. If airlines used a combo of these methods, boarding would take less time and be far less stressful.

Board only window seats in back 1/3 of plane. Then only middle seats in back 1/3. Then only aisle seats in back 1/3, and so on. Or something similar to this.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas