• 9,933,578 Posts
• 399,427 Topics
• 22,897 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kelly Bryant?  (Read 9315 times)

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
Re: Kelly Bryant?
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2018, 11:01:36 am »

Would be a huge misstep by Dabo to let this guy leave and put all his eggs in the Lawrence basket. I don't see it happening.
it's not his call, man.

I predicted this back when the rumor first came up. It just seems too perfect not to happen. And WHEN IT DOES< we are going to win those 8-9 games I predicted, too! WPS.

hogcards

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • The Glimmer Twins
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2018, 11:59:52 am »

It's now all supposedly a false flag. According to the Clemson board that originally started the rumor, that's all it was.  He's staying at Clemson.

Too bad.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

fullfan

« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2018, 12:21:06 pm »

Cannot believe anyone thought otherwise.

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2018, 03:16:29 pm »

It's now all supposedly a false flag. According to the Clemson board that originally started the rumor, that's all it was.  He's staying at Clemson.

Too bad.
not where the rumor started. it started from carolina fans on SECRant and they havent retracted a thing. We shall see. Either way, WPS on KJ's commit today.

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2018, 03:17:06 pm »

Cannot believe anyone thought otherwise.
That a graduate back up QB would transfer, and consider his original recruiter for said transfer? NO WAY!! That's a COMPLETELY RADICAL concept! 

Oh, you mean because we are just poor little ole arkinsaw. riiight. That makes sense.    :o :o :o

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2018, 03:52:38 pm »

Would be a huge misstep by Dabo to let this guy leave and put all his eggs in the Lawrence basket. I don't see it happening.

They also have Hunter Johnson, who is a 5 Star.  It seems like a somewhat recent post here on Hogville stated that a national analyst who was at Clemson's spring game stated that they have the most talented group of 4 QBs he had ever seen.

Also, there is going to be a lot of pressure taken off their offense this season because Venables is poised to have a very possible all-time historic great defense.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

• Gold Hogvillian
  • One tusk over the line sweet Jesus...
« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2018, 06:57:23 pm »

Well damn, the rumor, and that's all it is, is on one of the Arkansas pay boards. Should've checked before I yelled at Hogcards.

But I regret nothing.

You never do dawg...

berryhog

« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2018, 09:12:31 pm »

it's not his call, man.

I predicted this back when the rumor first came up. It just seems too perfect not to happen. And WHEN IT DOES< we are going to win those 8-9 games I predicted, too! WPS.

You predict so much it's hard to keep up. 

Al Boarland

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2018, 10:40:49 pm »

it's not his call, man.

It's his call how he handles the situation. All he has to do is keep the competition going into the season. Now, if he hates Clemson and wants to leave no matter what you could be right. If it's about the QB comp, that can be managed.

SooieGeneris

• Senior
  • You don't ever want to be chasin' speed..
« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2018, 12:44:23 pm »

Anyone who doesn't think Bryant would be an upgrade over what we have, at least in experience, would be pointless to argue with, they're that clueless...

However, I'll believe it when I see him at a podium making an official announcement or when it's officially announced in some form of a press release and only then.

I don't believe the proven starter of a CFB playoff team will be supplanted by game one unless it's Jalen Hurts. That was an unusual situation due to Tua pulling the game out in the 2nd half.

If the freshman for Clemson is all that he is hyped up to be, he may well start by the middle of the season, but if Bryant left before even being officially replaced, is he afraid of competition? Let him stay and fight..

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2018, 03:26:36 pm »

If the freshman for Clemson is all that he is hyped up to be, he may well start by the middle of the season, but if Bryant left before even being officially replaced, is he afraid of competition? Let him stay and fight..
unless that isnt why he'd leave, which is the rumor...

King Kong

« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2018, 06:17:29 pm »

He beat a different 5 star FR last year to lead his team to the playoff and signed with a team that had Deshaun Watson on the roster. So clearly not scared of competition.

Scared of spending his last year of football not playing? That’s probably more likely and understandable 

However I also don’t believe he will transfer because Bryant believes he is the man
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 06:40:54 pm by King Kong »

hogcards

• The Glimmer Twins
« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2018, 06:26:31 pm »

Anyone who doesn't think Bryant would be an upgrade over what we have, at least in experience, would be pointless to argue with, they're that clueless...

However, I'll believe it when I see him at a podium making an official announcement or when it's officially announced in some form of a press release and only then.

I don't believe the proven starter of a CFB playoff team will be supplanted by game one unless it's Jalen Hurts. That was an unusual situation due to Tua pulling the game out in the 2nd half.

+1000

I think it depends when he gets here.  But yea, he'd be the starter regardless by games 2-3.

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2018, 07:01:42 pm »

He beat a different 5 star FR last year to lead his team to the playoff and signed with a team that had Deshaun Watson on the roster. So clearly not scared of competition.

Scared of spending his last year of football not playing? That’s probably more likely and understandable 

However I also don’t believe he will transfer because Bryant believes he is the man
Im not holding my breath, but, imagine 2 years of Kelly Bryant and then a mantel passing to KJ Jefferson. Connor Noland is going to be a star on the diamond , almost FOR SURE , maybe football, too, who knows.
Also, Bryant already knows the system....

HOGINTENNESSEE

• Ryan Mallett: "I don't get nervous"
« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2018, 07:49:44 pm »

Im not holding my breath, but, imagine 2 years of Kelly Bryant and then a mantel passing to KJ Jefferson. Connor Noland is going to be a star on the diamond , almost FOR SURE , maybe football, too, who knows.
Also, Bryant already knows the system....

Well, Bryant has only one year of eligiblity left

rtr

« Reply #65 on: May 20, 2018, 10:44:19 am »

I think there is something to this.  The Clemson boards and media are denying it but it is a qualified denial, a non-denial denial.  We shall see.  If true, it could give Coach Morris a real first year boost.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 05:40:58 pm by rtr »

hog.goblin

• It's not revenge he's after. It's a reckoning.
« Reply #66 on: May 21, 2018, 08:29:16 am »

Looks like the other QB transferred, Sophomore Hunter Johnson

RazorPiggie

« Reply #67 on: May 21, 2018, 08:41:28 am »

Bring him in.

Busta_Nutt

« Reply #68 on: May 21, 2018, 10:13:57 am »

Bring him in.

Would be nice. I suspect he'll go back closer to home. He could do wonders under the Brohm brothers at Purdue.

Rock City Razorback

« Reply #69 on: May 21, 2018, 10:52:56 am »

Cooper transferred, Johnson now transferring. Why would Bryant transfer? Just don't see it happening

Al Boarland

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #70 on: May 21, 2018, 10:57:05 am »

Cooper transferred, Johnson now transferring. Why would Bryant transfer? Just don't see it happening

It's not.  Dabo played this one right.

King Kong

« Reply #71 on: May 21, 2018, 11:01:22 am »

Would be nice. I suspect he'll go back closer to home. He could do wonders under the Brohm brothers at Purdue.

Brohm will be out of Purdue fast

If Hunter Transfers there its very possible he never plays a down for Brohm. He is doing an unbelievably great job

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.com/Article/Clemson-quarterback-former-five-star-Hunter-Johnson-to-transfer-118396923/Amp

King Kong

« Reply #72 on: May 21, 2018, 11:05:46 am »

giveme that nolan rocket express and 4 years any dang day of the weak

Your English teacher just rolled over in her grave

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #73 on: May 21, 2018, 11:14:12 am »

my bad. that's what i get for believing what someone on here said. You are correct, sir.

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #74 on: May 21, 2018, 04:26:14 pm »

It's not.  Dabo played this one right.

Bryant gives Swinney an experienced QB, and Lawrence while he is inexperienced QB though gives him an elite talent.

Swinney knows what his team is capable of this season.  The following is from what Athlon released today.

"2. Clemson
Clemson has been a model of consistency since 2011. The Tigers have won at least 10 games every year during that span and have earned three consecutive CFB Playoff berths. There’s no reason to expect that to change in 2018. Dabo Swinney’s team represents the biggest threat to Alabama’s hopes of a repeat. Both sides of the ball are loaded, but the strength of this team is a defensive line that’s overflowing with talent. Ends Clelin Ferrell and Austin Bryant, along with tackle Christian Wilkins, passed on the NFL for one more season in Death Valley. Additionally, junior Dexter Lawrence is back to join Wilkins on the interior, with freshmen Xavier Thomas and KJ Henry battling for snaps on the outside. The back seven also is in great shape for defensive coordinator Brent Venables. Kendall Joseph is the new leader of the linebacker unit after Dorian O’Daniel finished his eligibility, while Tre Lamar, Isaiah Simmons, Jalen Williams and Shaq Smith provide Venables with talent, speed and depth across the board. Cornerback Trayvon Mullen could push for All-America honors this fall. Despite a solid debut as Clemson’s No. 1 quarterback (and replacing Deshaun Watson), Kelly Bryant isn’t guaranteed to start in 2018. That’s due to the arrival of five-star freshman Trevor Lawrence, who would give the offense more ability to push the ball downfield. The ground game is set with the return of Travis Etienne and Tavien Feaster, and there’s no shortage of athletic playmakers on the outside. Left tackle Mitch Hyatt is among the top linemen in the nation, anchoring a group that returns two other starters. Road trips to Texas A&M and Florida State won’t be easy. However, Clemson should make its fourth consecutive trip to the CFB Playoff. And if the true freshman quarterback is as good as advertised, the Tigers could bring home their second title in three years."

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/early-college-football-top-25-2018

urkillnmesmalls

• Experience: You get it just after you needed it!
« Reply #75 on: May 21, 2018, 05:22:11 pm »

Oh sure, because Dabo would never go tell Bryant that the spring game was a fluke, he knows that, and that he's the man going into the season EVEN IF he had every intention of replacing him after 2-3 games if he thinks for ONE second that the new kid gives him a better chance to win. 

No, no coach has ever done that to hedge their bets and make sure they have a solid back up with experience. 

Unless Bryant saw the writing on the wall, and knows he's going to get beaten out and ride the bench, and see any chance of even a cup of coffee in the NFL go up in smoke, I can't see any possible way he would leave to come play for Arkansas when there's so much that's unknown.  He could get lit up every play, which might not help his NFL prospects much either.   

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I need help with my footwork, too.
« Reply #76 on: May 21, 2018, 07:49:09 pm »

Kelly Bryant would bring a lot to the team, no doubt.

For those who believe 247 composite rankings are the gospel truth, at least in terms of potential, Ty Storey was 4-star .9088, Connor Noland was 4-star .8946. Daulton Hyatt was 3-star .8774.  Kelly Bryant was 3-star .8777.  He’s proven himself at Clemson. Storey is a redshirt junior. Cole Kelly was 3-star .8485, but he may have hurt himself by committing early. He proved last year he can be an effective QB.

We have some good QBs on the roster. However, every coach in college football is constantly looking for better players at every position. Just the way it works.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #77 on: May 22, 2018, 05:53:06 am »

This may be another factor that could effect the rumor about Bryant.

BREAKING: Clemson QB Hunter Johnson set to transfer.

https://twitter.com/LarryWilliamsTI/status/998545208957718529

MissippHog

« Reply #78 on: May 22, 2018, 07:58:03 am »

This may be another factor that could effect the rumor about Bryant.

BREAKING: Clemson QB Hunter Johnson set to transfer.

https://twitter.com/LarryWilliamsTI/status/998545208957718529
That was pointed out yesterday morning. 

nwahogfan1

« Reply #79 on: May 22, 2018, 08:26:41 am »

For those who believe 247 composite rankings are the gospel truth, at least in terms of potential, Ty Storey was 4-star .9088, Connor Noland was 4-star .8946. Daulton Hyatt was 3-star .8774.  Kelly Bryant was 3-star .8777.  He’s proven himself at Clemson. Storey is a redshirt junior. Cole Kelly was 3-star .8485, but he may have hurt himself by committing early. He proved last year he can be an effective QB.

We have some good QBs on the roster. However, every coach in college football is constantly looking for better players at every position. Just the way it works.

Good stuff.  Noland  committed earlier than Kelly so maybe his rating is a little low.  Noland is a champion in football and baseball at a larger school. Plus his coach ran much the same offense.  I know Conner plays baseball but I think he wants to be a winner in football also.

wildturkey8

« Reply #80 on: May 22, 2018, 09:17:31 am »

Oh sure, because Dabo would never go tell Bryant that the spring game was a fluke, he knows that, and that he's the man going into the season EVEN IF he had every intention of replacing him after 2-3 games if he thinks for ONE second that the new kid gives him a better chance to win. 

No, no coach has ever done that to hedge their bets and make sure they have a solid back up with experience. 

Unless Bryant saw the writing on the wall, and knows he's going to get beaten out and ride the bench, and see any chance of even a cup of coffee in the NFL go up in smoke, I can't see any possible way he would leave to come play for Arkansas when there's so much that's unknown.  He could get lit up every play, which might not help his NFL prospects much either.   
He probably knows Chad Morris and knows the offense he runs.  If he was looking for immediate playing time, Arkansas would probably be his best option.

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #81 on: May 22, 2018, 09:33:52 am »

the rumor is the transferring is because there is a LOT going on that has nothing to do with Lawrence or the depth chart, let's just say it that way. But, with only 3 QBs now, if Bryant did leave they would be in a world of hurt.

liljo

« Reply #82 on: May 22, 2018, 09:46:08 am »

Great point being made here. I've tried to make this point before.

The point is, these recruiting services no doubt use all kinds of information to rank these kids. But there is one little tidbit they cannot pinpoint; one factor they simply can NOT put into their equation with any level of accuracy. Projected physical development. All these kids are different. Ty Storey, as someone mentioned, was a full-grown man at 18. In high school, he was more than a handful out on the field, far more physically developed than 95% of the kids he competed against. Other kids, at 17-18 years of age, are several years away from being full grown.

I remember Isaac Davis from Malvern. Big baby-faced guy from Malvern. Played high school ball but would run off the field right before halftime so he could change into his band uniform, then play that horn while marching with the band. About 2 minutes into the 3rd quarter, Big Isaac would run back onto the field in finish the game. Great kid, but nowhere close to the monster he was about to become at the UofA. Coach Hatfield KNEW he was getting a good one. But nobody in Malvern could believe how much Isaac changed by his sophomore season at Arkansas.

I was standing on Main Street, waiting to walk into the Ritz Theater. Isaac pulled up in a pickup truck. When he climbed out, the suspension system on that truck let out a gasp of relief, and the whole truck leveled off. There, standing before us, stood Mr. Isaac Davis. Wasn't nobody kiddin' him about playin' a tuba, either.

247Sports would have probably had him listed as a high 3* when he was 18. When he was 20, they'd have gave him 'bout 7 stars. Especially if he growled at 'em.

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #83 on: May 22, 2018, 10:05:05 am »

thats all the stars really are, readiness to play early- so it always favors the kids that were held back a year in school, developed earlier than other kids (those dudes with beards in 9th grade), or are at a traditional power/well funded school where they get good nutrition, good weight rooms, and great exposure. You take the rankings for what they are, watch the film, and extrapolate it out to what they can do here. Thats what coaches are doing. Stars matter in that they are part of the calculus, but that's all it is. It's really just , talent matters.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

• Gold Hogvillian
  • One tusk over the line sweet Jesus...
« Reply #84 on: May 22, 2018, 12:32:36 pm »

As a Hog fan I know this is too good to be true.
Sadly I do too... What a party if it happened..! Am I right.!? I mean am I.!?!?!

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #85 on: May 22, 2018, 01:07:47 pm »

the rumor is the transferring is because there is a LOT going on that has nothing to do with Lawrence or the depth chart, let's just say it that way. But, with only 3 QBs now, if Bryant did leave they would be in a world of hurt.

With Johnson leaving, it makes it doubtful that Bryant will leave.

If Bryant did also leave that wouldn't be the most optimal thing, but they are going to have an elite defense, and that will help them regarding overcoming any less than adequate QB play.

Venables has the potential of having at least 5 All-Americans on his defense this season.

DE Ferrell
DT Wilkins
DT Lawrence
MLB Joseph   A Senior who has 222 tackles, 18.5 tackles for a loss, 4 sacks, 30 QB pressures, 2 interceptions, and 4 caused fumbles during his LB career at Clemson.
CB Mullen

There is a chance that OLB Lamar could also be an All-American.

I can't remember the last time a collegiate defense had 5 All-Americans on it (if that has even ever happened before).

GA reddiehog

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #86 on: May 22, 2018, 04:21:15 pm »

Checked with some Clemson grads today and they say he is not leaving.  They think this is just another Gamecock stunt to stir the pot. , Both sides are good at it.

urkillnmesmalls

« Reply #87 on: May 23, 2018, 06:48:11 am »

With Johnson leaving, it makes it doubtful that Bryant will leave.

If Bryant did also leave that wouldn't be the most optimal thing, but they are going to have an elite defense, and that will help them regarding overcoming any less than adequate QB play.

Venables has the potential of having at least 5 All-Americans on his defense this season.

DE Ferrell
DT Wilkins
DT Lawrence
MLB Joseph   A Senior who has 222 tackles, 18.5 tackles for a loss, 4 sacks, 30 QB pressures, 2 interceptions, and 4 caused fumbles during his LB career at Clemson.
CB Mullen

There is a chance that OLB Lamar could also be an All-American.

I can't remember the last time a collegiate defense had 5 All-Americans on it (if that has even ever happened before).

They don't even need a QB do they GoHogs?  They way you tell the story, they could win by just playing defense.   

hog.goblin

• It's not revenge he's after. It's a reckoning.
« Reply #88 on: May 23, 2018, 07:05:21 am »

They don't even need a QB do they GoHogs?  They way you tell the story, they could win by just playing defense.   

Venables is going to run the offense and the defense. He’s the man.

urkillnmesmalls

« Reply #89 on: May 23, 2018, 10:03:37 am »

Venables is going to run the offense and the defense. He’s the man.

No need for offense, but if there ever is, I'm sure Venables can do both, and handle special teams too.   ;D

• Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!
« Reply #90 on: May 23, 2018, 10:22:46 am »

He said "Imagine" 2 years. In PiTP world, all that matters is what he can imagine not what will happen.

King Kong

« Reply #91 on: May 24, 2018, 01:26:42 pm »

Kelly Bryant named the starter. Considering the timing maybe he was considering leaving.

Right call by Dabo. Can’t go into the season with only 2 QB’s on the roster
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas