• 395,957 Topics
• 22,375 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Barford combine measurements  (Read 4883 times)

ADavisTheGOAT

Barford combine measurements
« on: May 17, 2018, 11:01:29 am »

Interesting that hes 61 without shoes. Hes also tied for the smallest hand length and 4th highest body fat %

mbgrulz

Re: Barford combine measurements
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 11:07:21 am »

You're surprised that he's only 6'1"? That sounds about right to me. You can always take about 2 inches off of their listed height.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

ADavisTheGOAT

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 11:10:53 am »

You're surprised that he's only 6'1"? That sounds about right to me. You can always take about 2 inches off of their listed height.
I remember a while back one recruiting site had him at 65

FineAsSwine

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Hogville think tank
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 11:15:52 am »

Only slightly surprised at his height. That body fat ratio seems about right to me too. He always seemed a bit too chunky and looked as if he was laboring physically as games progressed.

mbgrulz

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 11:28:11 am »

They just go off of what they're told. Everybody is fudging their height a little bit. If were being honest with ourselves, a guy with JB's skill set at 6'5" would have probably never came to Arkansas. 

daBoar

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 11:28:30 am »

Only slightly surprised at his height. That body fat ratio seems about right to me too. He always seemed a bit too chunky and looked as if he was laboring physically as games progressed.
Perhaps also impacted by his 31 minutes per game ave, leading the team.

MakingPlays

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 11:30:51 am »

Well most websites are going to list their heights with shoes on, considered they play with shoes on.  Portis measured 6'9 3/4 w/o shoes at the combine, and every site including ESPN and the NBA lists him at 6'11 because that's what his height is with shoes on.  I don't even know why they use those measurements w/o shoes at the combine, because after the combine literally nobody uses their height w/o shoes and you'll never see it mentioned again.

k.c.hawg

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 11:52:15 am »

Man, not a real good look for JB. 207+lbs and 11+% body fat. Short wing span, small hands. He is the against all odds man!! Damn good college basketball player, very proud to call him a Hog, hope he makes bank playing somewhere.

mbgrulz

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 12:16:06 pm »

Well most websites are going to list their heights with shoes on, considered they play with shoes on.  Portis measured 6'9 3/4 w/o shoes at the combine, and every site including ESPN and the NBA lists him at 6'11 because that's what his height is with shoes on.  I don't even know why they use those measurements w/o shoes at the combine, because after the combine literally nobody uses their height w/o shoes and you'll never see it mentioned again.
I used to think like you, but now I understand why they do it. It is really the only way to standardize the measurement and make it fair for all. There is too much $ on the line. Imagine having two guys wear different shoes and one guy gets drafted earlier because he was wearing shoes that made him .5" taller. I have some shoes that make me 2" taller and some less than 1" taller than without shoes.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
  • The Plaque for Alternates is in the Ladies room.
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2018, 12:28:07 pm »

The recruiting gurus try to sells clicks and subscriptions. Telling fans their incoming shooting guard is 6'5" instead of 6'2" is what they do. That's why every Arkansas linebacker recruit is 6'2", 225lbs, and runs a 4.5 40.

Grumpypenguin

• Varsity
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2018, 02:22:22 pm »

Not looking good for Barford, short arms and small hands not a good combo for a guard like him in the NBA

razorback1829

• Senior
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2018, 02:35:56 pm »

Not looking good for Barford, short arms and small hands not a good combo for a guard like him in the NBA

LOL it was never his measurement that were gonna get him in the league. It will be because he can PLAY. Thats whats most important. Hes not gonna be a franchise guy, but maybe a quick scoring option off the bench.

Grumpypenguin

• Varsity
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2018, 02:39:04 pm »

LOL it was never his measurement that were gonna get him in the league. It will be because he can PLAY. Thats whats most important. Hes not gonna be a franchise guy, but maybe a quick scoring option off the bench.

Everyone at the draft combine can PLAY, you need something to set yourself out from the crowd other than good at basketball. No one is gonna take a chance on a short shooting guard with small hands and small wingspan. Plus it's not like he has insane athleticism.   Maybe if he was a point guard he'd have a shot

razorback1829

• Senior
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2018, 02:53:59 pm »

Everyone at the draft combine can PLAY,

More like the ones who cant start to get weeded out. More will be gained out of private workouts.

hawgball40

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2018, 03:57:18 pm »

Everyone at the draft combine can PLAY, you need something to set yourself out from the crowd other than good at basketball. No one is gonna take a chance on a short shooting guard with small hands and small wingspan. Plus it's not like he has insane athleticism.   Maybe if he was a point guard he'd have a shot
blake griffin, gordon hayward, kevin love, and jj redick all have below average wingspans at their heights. in jj redicks case, his wingspan(6'0) is shorter than his height(6'4). steph curry's wingspan is only 6'3, but the combine said it was 6'0

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2018, 04:09:00 pm »

Can't measure heart, or competitiveness, or an instinct to just flat out ball.  Also some execs may be intrigued by Barford's Florida Evans-esque grey patch.  Regardless, wish the young man nothing but success.

RebHog

• Varsity
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2018, 04:27:47 pm »

Jameer Nelson had a good career in the league with similar physical stature as JB. The odds are against him but don't rule him out just cause of a measuring tape.

zebradynasty

• Senior
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2018, 04:31:35 pm »

I was thinking that Barford could be a Donovan Mitchell type player. However he is a little shorter than Mitchell but without the long arms (Mitchell has like a 6'-10" reach). Still his ability to score reminds me a lot of Mitchell.

draftkings33

• Senior
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2018, 08:50:26 am »

I was surprised about the 27 inch vertical leap more than anything. 

FineAsSwine

• Hogville think tank
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2018, 09:01:56 am »

he never was a great leaper but he finished well at the rim because he was solid as a brick.

rzrbkman

• Senior
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2018, 09:11:19 am »

Fans were shocked when Corliss was measured at 6'4.5 in his bare feet prior to the draft. I'm 6'2 in my socks only. I was at a Arkansas Baptist game one night and Corliss stood by me briefly after the game and he was clearly only about 3 inches taller than me. 

draftkings33

• Senior
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2018, 09:11:28 am »

he never was a great leaper but he finished well at the rim because he was solid as a brick.
I guess so.  For some reason he looked like a good leaper to me.  Hangtime was good I thought.

zebradynasty

• Senior
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2018, 09:28:32 am »

Barford is better at jumping off of one leg than two. Not a high riser either way but the way he could trail a player going in for layup and swat it into the stands was impressive. Also explains how he could finish so well around the basket when he drove in, gets a little more hangtime when he jumps off one leg, along with good body control.

HawgHeadCheese

• Senior
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2018, 09:29:16 am »

I'm not surprised he wasn't a big leaper, but he has very good hang time. Those are two totally different things

masbas3

• Varsity
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2018, 09:40:40 am »

I used to think like you, but now I understand why they do it. It is really the only way to standardize the measurement and make it fair for all. There is too much $ on the line. Imagine having two guys wear different shoes and one guy gets drafted earlier because he was wearing shoes that made him .5" taller. I have some shoes that make me 2" taller and some less than 1" taller than without shoes.

What shoes do you have that make you 2" taller?  I thought platform shoes went out of style in the 70's.  I used to have a pair of them bad boys though that made me 6'5".  I'm 6'2" flat footed, I had a leisure suit, big collar shirt and all, I was dope!  :puke:

twistitup

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2018, 09:44:09 am »

I'm not surprised he wasn't a big leaper, but he has very good hang time. Those are two totally different things

I have good hang time

draftkings33

• Senior
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2018, 09:57:52 am »

What shoes do you have that make you 2" taller?  I thought platform shoes went out of style in the 70's.  I used to have a pair of them bad boys though that made me 6'5".  I'm 6'2" flat footed, I had a leisure suit, big collar shirt and all, I was dope!  :puke:
If you are old enough to have worn a leisure suit and you are online using the term dope I'm guessing you were not. 

draftkings33

• Senior
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2018, 10:00:56 am »

This is very confusing to me.  Best hangtime of players I can remember are Jordan, Nate Robinson, Spud Webb, Dr. J, Gervin, Rose, etc...  All big leapers

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Life as a Politics Mod....
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2018, 11:22:09 am »

Jameer Nelson had a good career in the league with similar physical stature as JB. The odds are against him but don't rule him out just cause of a measuring tape.

Jameer Nelson *has* a good career in the league.    $63M+ in career earnings, and playing into his mid 30s...

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2018, 11:43:04 am »

Found ya!

Grumpypenguin

• Varsity
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2018, 01:55:54 pm »

Jameer Nelson is also a PG

Hogberry Snortcake

• Hogvillian
  • "Something profound." -Someone Famous
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2018, 02:03:43 pm »

NM.  Just saw the 33 on his vertical.  About what I would've expected. 

draftkings33

• Senior
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2018, 02:29:10 pm »

NM.  Just saw the 33 on his vertical.  About what I would've expected.
Vertical was 27.  33 was his running jump vertical

RebHog

• Varsity
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2018, 04:41:11 pm »

Jameer Nelson is also a PG

Which is what Barford would have to play. Nelson's career avg assist is 5.1 with 7.4 as a season high. I could see JB getting numbers like that. Does anyone know if Barford is participating in the 5 on5? I cant find any info on this or the schedule on when he would play?  Shooting and agility results in link sorry if its already been posted somewhere.

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2018/may/17/how-jaylen-barford-measured-nba-draft-combine/?f=latest

mbgrulz

« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2018, 04:48:46 pm »

Haha...well, my Nike Air Max running shoes have a huge air cell around the bottom. Im 6 without shoes and nearly 62 with them on.

Hogimus Prime

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Roll Out
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2018, 05:48:03 pm »

I remember Todd Day was listed at 69 200lbs his Sr year.  He measured out at 66 170lbs at the pre draft camp.  IMO too much is put into the draft combine measurements and athletic test.  There is more to being a basketball player than hand size, jumping ability and such.  Does being athletic help?  Hell yeah it does, but you have to have skill to go with it.

Big Nasty 34

« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2018, 08:43:04 am »

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/216433/jaylen-barford

Dang, Mike Anderson really knows how to shrink a dude. All that Cleveland Hill running, I bet. lol

draftkings33

• Senior
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2018, 09:25:00 am »

I remember Todd Day was listed at 69 200lbs his Sr year.  He measured out at 66 170lbs at the pre draft camp.  IMO too much is put into the draft combine measurements and athletic test.  There is more to being a basketball player than hand size, jumping ability and such.  Does being athletic help?  Hell yeah it does, but you have to have skill to go with it.
I saw him last year and he was around 6-5.  Dude has shrunk over the years

urkillnmesmalls

• Experience: You get it just after you needed it!
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2018, 05:48:26 pm »

Totally different things huh?   8)  I'm dying to see your explanation of how "hang time" and "big leaper" differ.  Gravity pulls the same on every object, regardless of weight.  When Michael Jordan jumps 30" in the air, from his apex back to the floor will be the same time as anyone else in the world who jumps 30" in the air.  Or...you could drop a BB from 30"...same story.  They may curl their bodies, legs, or other things to delay the first thing that hits the floor...but gravity is pulling them down at the same 9.8 m/s/s force regardless of how "cool" they may look in the air. 

The only way to change that....would be if one guy jumps higher than the other.  Sorry to burst your bubble, but I thought maybe you should research it before that argument comes out when it means something, and it blows up in your face.   ;) 

hawgball40

« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2018, 05:55:05 pm »

Totally different things huh?   8)  I'm dying to see your explanation of how "hang time" and "big leaper" differ.  Gravity pulls the same on every object, regardless of weight.  When Michael Jordan jumps 30" in the air, from his apex back to the floor will be the same time as anyone else in the world who jumps 30" in the air.  Or...you could drop a BB from 30"...same story.  They may curl their bodies, legs, or other things to delay the first thing that hits the floor...but gravity is pulling them down at the same 9.8 m/s/s force regardless of how "cool" they may look in the air. 

The only way to change that....would be if one guy jumps higher than the other.  Sorry to burst your bubble, but I thought maybe you should research it before that argument comes out when it means something, and it blows up in your face.   ;)
maybe jumping straight up and down, but what about when you add in inertia and drag? some players are able to because of inertia and drag. if you lean your body slightly forward while jumping with momentum, you travel further and remain in the air longer, because air is being forced down the front of your chest an abdomen and exiting between the legs, just the way it does on the wing of a plane or bird

PolishPigPower

• All-American Hogvillian
  • As useless as JPEGs to Helen Keller...
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2018, 04:01:28 pm »

Man, not a real good look for JB. 207+lbs and 11+% body fat. Short wing span, small hands. He is the against all odds man!! Damn good college basketball player, very proud to call him a Hog, hope he makes bank playing somewhere.

I hear the Euro is a very strong currency... ;)

urkillnmesmalls

• Experience: You get it just after you needed it!
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2018, 06:51:57 am »

maybe jumping straight up and down, but what about when you add in inertia and drag? some players are able to because of inertia and drag. if you lean your body slightly forward while jumping with momentum, you travel further and remain in the air longer, because air is being forced down the front of your chest an abdomen and exiting between the legs, just the way it does on the wing of a plane or bird

How fast is the athlete running, and how strong is the force of the wind that's blowing at him?  What you're suggesting is minimal, if even measurable, which I doubt.  Maybe a physics expert will come along to clear this up, but I think you're grasping at straws on this one.   ;)

Biggus Piggus

• Escaped Journalist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville: The mosh pit of Razorbackland
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2018, 10:04:45 am »

God almighty, I'd love to have 11% body fat.

HawgHeadCheese

• Senior
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2018, 10:17:40 am »

God almighty, I'd love to have 11% body fat.
Lmao

Hogcephus

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2018, 09:54:40 pm »

How tall did Macon measure?

draftkings33

• Senior
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2018, 09:50:18 am »

How tall did Macon measure?
Right around 6-3

sir-pigs-a-lot

• Administrator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • I like Big Mike and I cannot lie
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2018, 01:21:27 pm »

Can't measure heart, or competitiveness, or an instinct to just flat out ball.  Also some execs may be intrigued by Barford's Florida Evans-esque grey patch.  Regardless, wish the young man nothing but success.

How did this gem get over looked. Superb job.

Groer Kriegschwein

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Married way....way...way....up.
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2018, 08:07:40 pm »

How did this gem get over looked. Superb job.

Homie looks like he watched too many Elvira movies.

Youngsta71701

• There's a God somewhere.
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2018, 02:02:47 pm »

He's a one foot jumper.

Youngsta71701

• There's a God somewhere.
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2018, 02:04:17 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas