• 396,432 Topics
• 22,588 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: If Basil Shabazz never played baseball, would he'd play football with the hogs?  (Read 3611 times)

Ben

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net

If Basil Shabazz never went to the MLB, do you think he would have played football with the Razorbacks? How do you think his college football career would have been?

Jim Harris

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Bring me some DTs!

he would have had to have gone to Juco first. He was a non-qualifier out of high school. But he said he wanted to play football at Arkansas if not for baseball.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Hog Fan...DOH!

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Your site for Razorback news.

Basil Shabazz gets mentioned on this board at least once per month, some 25 years after he graduated high school.  That's really incredible.

pigzwillrise

• WOOOOOOOOOO PIG SOOIE

Basil Shabazz gets mentioned on this board at least once per month, some 25 years after he graduated high school.  That's really incredible.
we would have won many championships with him. He would have rushed for well over 10,000 yards in his career.

RyanMallettsEgo

• No, no, no, don't think of it as work.

inb4 Vin Ascolese and Kane Whitehurst

LZH

HogFoo

well he did use to practice by chasing down and catching rabbits.  While also running down train tracks as fast as he could to work on his balance. Maybe its that even 25yrs later they say he ran for shizz and giggles the 40 and still ran a 4.37.    Yes, The greatest that never was will probably be mentioned for many years to come

Sed76

• Hogvillian

Saw him crush two home runs in one game when he played for the Travs. What happened to his baseball career?

Razor1997

• Senior

well he did use to practice by chasing down and catching rabbits.  While also running down train tracks as fast as he could to work on his balance. Maybe its that even 25yrs later they say he ran for shizz and giggles the 40 and still ran a 4.37.    Yes, The greatest that never was will probably be mentioned for many years to come

I heard he pitched a complete game shutout and hit three home runs in the first game of a doubleheader, and then pitched a complete game no-hitter and hit four home runs in the second game.  Baseball was his 4th best sport.

That's what I heard.

ICEman

we would have won many championships with him. He would have rushed for well over 10,000 yards in his career.
Only if he ran the 100, 200 and a leg on John McDonnell’s 4 by 100m relay team.

porque

Saw him crush two home runs in one game when he played for the Travs. What happened to his baseball career?

Its what happens to most minor league hitters.  He couldn't hit the curve.

IronHog

he would have had to have gone to Juco first. He was a non-qualifier out of high school. But he said he wanted to play football at Arkansas if not for baseball.

Prop 48

Rock City Razorback

Takes a lot of things to go right to make it all the way in baseball. Sheer ability, especially just athletically, isn't enough. Other sports, you could make an argument are harder to make it and for sure sustain one you're a pro, but IMO, if you have world-class ability, you'll find a spot as a pro.

porque

He had world class athletic ability.  He couldn't hit a professional's curve.  He picked the wrong sport. And had some other issues.

Bacons Rebellion

• I'm a llama!

There are only two answers to "What ever happened to NameGoesHere's baseball career?"

1. Hurt his arm.
2. Couldn't hit the curve.

LAHogfan123

That's not exactly correct.  When one of the news stations did a story on him a few years back he did say he ran a time of 4.5, which is very fast for someone wearing just wearing tennis shoes and not warming up and especially for his age.  I watched him play numerous times being from the area, Basil was a legit athlete, it's just a shame his school let him down, because he had no parents to speak of, he stayed with different ones, It was Hunters family that helped him alot, but he really needed loving parents to guide him.  Sad situation.

GoldCoastHog

• Varsity

My brother graduated with him in ‘90. He was the best back/ athlete I ever witnessed in high school. I did watch Eric Mitchel , James Rouse, Keith Jackson to name a few.
Jack Crowe was the head coach at Arkansas at the time, and he was on record that Basil was the most talented prospect he had ever seen at the high school level, including Bo Jackson , who he coached as Offensive Coordinator while at Auburn.
From a prospect and raw potential standpoint , he would have arrived in Fayetteville as the true precursor to Darren McFadden had he been academically eligible.
As far as speed goes, he still holds the state record in the 200 meter. The 400 meter relay team featuring him and Tracy Caldwell ( who did play receiver at UA in Fall 1990) is also a standing state record.
I recently attended a high school meet at Tad Gormley in New Orleans this Spring , and all the Powerhouse track teams were there; the winning heat was a full 2 plus seconds off the Pine Bluff state record time.

liljo

Had Basil played football for the U of A, he would have attained legendary status. Of that, I have no doubts. 

HogFoo

That's not exactly correct.  When one of the news stations did a story on him a few years back he did say he ran a time of 4.5, which is very fast for someone wearing just wearing tennis shoes and not warming up and especially for his age.  I watched him play numerous times being from the area, Basil was a legit athlete, it's just a shame his school let him down, because he had no parents to speak of, he stayed with different ones, It was Hunters family that helped him alot, but he really needed loving parents to guide him.  Sad situation.
yeah, i had seen that as well.  i had meant to type in 4.47 not 4.37 but, yes as you said, for someone not warming up, his age, wearing tennis shoes, that is still getting after it.       Yes, he and Tori Hunters fam were very close.  Like brothers. it definitely would have been something had Basil made it to fayetteville and then Tori had came along a year later to play baseball.   Who knows, maybe Basil would have also played baseball for the Hogs. If he did, chancers are more than likely that Tori would have came to fayetteville too.   i totally believe Basil would have been every bit as good as Dmac was.  Not quite sure how good our football would have been back then, but having a stud like that definitely would have helped.   

I still think of the time when i was a true frosh and my school had went down to searcy for a track meet.  My school, Alma, didnt have many minorities on the team, other than myself. haha.  I remember walking in the indoor gym and it was like everyone just stopped and turned and look at us.  haha   we had went into the center and found a place to set our bags and it just happened to be right beside the high jump area and there was this guy there , he was like running in place as fast as he could and barely scooting along as he ran, it was kind of funny.  he had a fellow teammate from Pine Bluff in his ear, saying you can do this man.  you got it.  i remember he looked at me and my buddy and he says 'im gonna do this for you guys'  he smiled and then he ran and jumped and set an indoor record in the high jump, i think it was 6'10 or 6'11.    Years later id read an article that he had begged his coach to try high jump and that that track meet that i was at years ago was his very first attempt at high jump and he set and indoor record on it.  haha..  yeah, dude was something.   

rlamb

I've said this before, but if Felix had not have been here and the Idiot Nutt had used NcFadden in less head
banging ways during hisreer here, he might have won at least one of those Heisman's? I know that if 24
Sports and Rivals had have been around back then both Eckwood and Shabazz night have been the Number
# 1 recruits in the Country and contended for the Heisman? That's 3 pretty great running backs to come out
of the same small State all within 30 years of each other.

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis

If you got to see him like I did you would still be amazed at how great he was in every sport.

His Sr year performance in FB and Track are still in the record books.

FineAsSwine

• Hogville think tank

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian

It would be a tight contest both had great vision and speed.   He Wrecked the best D Arkansas High ever had.

#1 STUNNA

So who would have been the greatest Razorback, Shabazz or McFadden?
hopefully Burks...lol

LAHogfan123

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2013/jul/16/one-got-away/

https://www.secrant.com/rant/arkansas-sports/the-great-shabazz/41775595/

Thanks for the flashback in time Delta.  I was at every game that Pine Bluff played in Basil's senior season, I missed a few during his junior season.  I even went to some of their track events, I was hoping to see Shabazz in a Razorback uniform so bad, but even early on I was hearing his grades were not up to par.  Watching that video takes me back to the days of channel 4 going against the heavyweight champ channel 7 in central arkansas, channel 4 was trying everything to bring in more viewers and channel 7 especially owned the sports section, having Paul Ells, so in came Steve Sullivan, a young fella then.  They introduced Friday night Flights, went around in a helicopter to the games, kids loved it.  Sullivan had a big thing going, and around that time the one and only Basil Shabazz hit the big time, for Sullivan, Basil was a goldmine for him, I think Steve had more footage of Shabazz than anyone, but later on, Steve Sullivan went on to join Paul at channel 7, losing access he said to much of the film of the great Shabazz.  Sullivan went on to replace Paul at channel 7, Steve calls Paul his mentor, the best man he ever had the privilege of working with.

LAHogfan123

yeah, i had seen that as well.  i had meant to type in 4.47 not 4.37 but, yes as you said, for someone not warming up, his age, wearing tennis shoes, that is still getting after it.       Yes, he and Tori Hunters fam were very close.  Like brothers. it definitely would have been something had Basil made it to fayetteville and then Tori had came along a year later to play baseball.   Who knows, maybe Basil would have also played baseball for the Hogs. If he did, chancers are more than likely that Tori would have came to fayetteville too.   i totally believe Basil would have been every bit as good as Dmac was.  Not quite sure how good our football would have been back then, but having a stud like that definitely would have helped.   

I still think of the time when i was a true frosh and my school had went down to searcy for a track meet.  My school, Alma, didnt have many minorities on the team, other than myself. haha.  I remember walking in the indoor gym and it was like everyone just stopped and turned and look at us.  haha   we had went into the center and found a place to set our bags and it just happened to be right beside the high jump area and there was this guy there , he was like running in place as fast as he could and barely scooting along as he ran, it was kind of funny.  he had a fellow teammate from Pine Bluff in his ear, saying you can do this man.  you got it.  i remember he looked at me and my buddy and he says 'im gonna do this for you guys'  he smiled and then he ran and jumped and set an indoor record in the high jump, i think it was 6'10 or 6'11.    Years later id read an article that he had begged his coach to try high jump and that that track meet that i was at years ago was his very first attempt at high jump and he set and indoor record on it.  haha..  yeah, dude was something.

Great story Hogfoo, thanks for sharing.  +1.

Tejano Jawg

• GO HOGS! BRING THE HEAT!

My brother graduated with him in ‘90. He was the best back/ athlete I ever witnessed in high school. I did watch Eric Mitchel , James Rouse, Keith Jackson to name a few.
Jack Crowe was the head coach at Arkansas at the time, and he was on record that Basil was the most talented prospect he had ever seen at the high school level, including Bo Jackson , who he coached as Offensive Coordinator while at Auburn.
From a prospect and raw potential standpoint , he would have arrived in Fayetteville as the true precursor to Darren McFadden had he been academically eligible.
As far as speed goes, he still holds the state record in the 200 meter. The 400 meter relay team featuring him and Tracy Caldwell ( who did play receiver at UA in Fall 1990) is also a standing state record.
I recently attended a high school meet at Tad Gormley in New Orleans this Spring , and all the Powerhouse track teams were there; the winning heat was a full 2 plus seconds off the Pine Bluff state record time.

I enjoy these Shabazz threads…(and it's not exactly one a month)…because of these first-hand posts. Same for you, HogFoo.

That video Delta posted…I go from awe to just laughing, then back to awe. BS had all the tools that made him hard, or impossible, to tackle. Speed, agility, power, VISION and INSTINCTS.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!

Plus he liked hits of another variety...............

redleg

• Senior

So the debate between McFadden and Shabazz is an interesting one.
D-Mac qualified out of high school, so he was not forced to go to Jr. College.
Shabazz would have gone to Juco first, then Arkansas.
McFadden only played three years for the Hogs.
A big question for Shabazz is, would he have redshirted his first year in Juco to concentrate on bringing his grades up, then played as a redshirt freshman, thereby earning his Juco degree, and still having three years of eligibility remaining, and would he have stayed at Arkansas all three years? Or, would he have played both years in Juco, hopefully earned his Juco degree, and then had three years to play two at Arkansas?
D-Mac owns most rushing records, i.e. career rushing yards, top two single season rushing yards, etc.
Shabazz may have set the records for D-Mac to break, but I do not think he would have had the stats that D-Mac had, mostly because Shabazz would have played on weaker teams from 1992-94.

If Shabazz had redshirted his first year in Juco, and stayed at Arkansas through his senior season, we would have had the 1994 team with Shabazz AND freshman Madre Hill in the same backfield! THAT would have been fun to watch!

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian

The 1991 State Track Meet He put on a show for the ages.

LAHogfan123

I enjoy these Shabazz threads…(and it's not exactly one a month)…because of these first-hand posts. Same for you, HogFoo.

That video Delta posted…I go from awe to just laughing, then back to awe. BS had all the tools that made him hard, zor impossible, to tackle. Speed, agility, power, VISION and INSTINCTS.

The thing about also about Shabazz was that he could have been a fearsome defensive player.

IronHog

So the debate between McFadden and Shabazz is an interesting one.
D-Mac qualified out of high school, so he was not forced to go to Jr. College.
Shabazz would have gone to Juco first, then Arkansas.
McFadden only played three years for the Hogs.
A big question for Shabazz is, would he have redshirted his first year in Juco to concentrate on bringing his grades up, then played as a redshirt freshman, thereby earning his Juco degree, and still having three years of eligibility remaining, and would he have stayed at Arkansas all three years? Or, would he have played both years in Juco, hopefully earned his Juco degree, and then had three years to play two at Arkansas?
D-Mac owns most rushing records, i.e. career rushing yards, top two single season rushing yards, etc.
Shabazz may have set the records for D-Mac to break, but I do not think he would have had the stats that D-Mac had, mostly because Shabazz would have played on weaker teams from 1992-94.

If Shabazz had redshirted his first year in Juco, and stayed at Arkansas through his senior season, we would have had the 1994 team with Shabazz AND freshman Madre Hill in the same backfield! THAT would have been fun to watch!

Shabazz woulda have been prop 48

Hill redshirted

IronHog

Plus he liked hits of another variety...............

Hurt a knee playing baseball....was his real downfall

Bob Slydell

• Senior
  • Well, just a second there professor...

Pretty sure he graduated in '91.  I played against him at the AAAA baseball state tournament in Pine Bluff that year.

DOGALUM

• Best creme brulee ever

Pretty sure he graduated in '91.  I played against him at the AAAA baseball state tournament in Pine Bluff that year.
he did indeed graduate in ‘91. 

Pudgepork

• Horse Racings most unlikely champ

Hogs lost 2 great prospects to grades, and other distractions, in the same era.  An Arkansas coach was in NE AR checking on some prospects.   He wandered thru a store that my wife ran and while he gushed about Shabazz in the backfield, he said Jeff Savage was a man playing with boys in high school. He talked about the possibility off both on the same team.    His opinion was Savage was of equal talent     Both were casualties of not paying attention to grades. 

Arthur pigby sellers.

• Senior

I played against him in 91 as a sophomore at Catholic. He basically was their team. He scored on a kickoff return, an interception return and a rushing touchdown against us. This was truly a player who could have started for many D1 college teams who was playing against high school kids.

supersaint

Hogs lost 2 great prospects to grades, and other distractions, in the same era.  An Arkansas coach was in NE AR checking on some prospects.   He wandered thru a store that my wife ran and while he gushed about Shabazz in the backfield, he said Jeff Savage was a man playing with boys in high school. He talked about the possibility off both on the same team.    His opinion was Savage was of equal talent     Both were casualties of not paying attention to grades.
Jeff played at Arkansas after spending a year at OBU. He took 12 hours his first semester at Arkansas and passed zero.  All world ability.  He was a freak of nature.

(notOM)Rebel123

“He did say...” Hmmm....yeah, what would he say? “Yeah, I ran a 6.5.”

How can you say his school let him down? Just curious why you say this.

masbas3

• Varsity

“He did say...” Hmmm....yeah, what would he say? “Yeah, I ran a 6.5.”

How can you say his school let him down? Just curious why you say this.

It was substantiated by quite a few.  It wasn't like it was just him running, and taking the time of the run as well.

(notOM)Rebel123

Jeff played at Arkansas after spending a year at OBU. He took 12 hours his first semester at Arkansas and passed zero.  All world ability.  He was a freak of nature.

Yeah, Savage was awesome. Shame he couldn’t get it together in the classroom.

(notOM)Rebel123

It was substantiated by quite a few.

Substantiated by who? Care to explain “how” the school let him down?

masbas3

• Varsity

Substantiated by who? Care to explain “how” the school let him down?

Go read the article doubting Thomas.   Google is your friend.

(notOM)Rebel123

Go read the article doubting Thomas.   Google is your friend.

You are the one making the claim. Post a link. But since you just joined in December.....it’s ok.

masbas3

• Varsity

You are the one making the claim. Post a link. But since you just joined in December.....it’s ok.

Lol, is that all you got?  Big whoop!  I joined in December, but I guarantee I know far more about the Razorbacks than you do, more about Arkansas high school sports and players than you do, and of course, former players and Razorback players.  There are a lot of guys on here that remember seeing that interview that was posted on here a few years back about Shabazz, it was a great interview, if you were around then, and I know you were, you should have seen it as well and clicked on it and read it for yourself.  It's still available to see I'm sure, but since I've seen it several times, including being around when it was first posted on here, I have no need to see it again.  You, rebel, on the other hand, I guess should go do some reading if you want to find out anything.

(notOM)Rebel123

Lol, is that all you got?  Big whoop!  I joined in December, but I guarantee I know far more about the Razorbacks than you do, more about Arkansas high school sports and players than you do, and of course, former players and Razorback players.  There are a lot of guys on here that remember seeing that interview that was posted on here a few years back about Shabazz, it was a great interview, if you were around then, and I know you were, you should have seen it as well and clicked on it and read it for yourself.  It's still available to see I'm sure, but since I've seen it several times, including being around when it was first posted on here, I have no need to see it again.  You, rebel, on the other hand, I guess should go do some reading if you want to find out anything.

So, when did you attend your first Razorback game...?
I’ll bet I’ve followed the Razorbacks and Arkansas High School athletics much  longer than you. Be honest.

masbas3

• Varsity

So, when did you attend your first Razorback game...?
I’ll bet I’ve follthe owed the Razorbacks and Arkansas High School athletics much  longer than you. Be honest.

My first game I ever attended was in Little Rock when we played Texas and lost to them.  It was my first game my Dad and I went to together.  As far as being a fan, I started keeping track of the Hogs in 1955.

(notOM)Rebel123

My first game I ever attended was in Little Rock when we played Texas and lost to them.  It was my first game my Dad and I went to together.  As far as being a fan, I started keeping track of the Hogs in 1955.

Excellent. You've seen some great ones, for sure.

masbas3

• Varsity

Excellent. You've seen some great ones, for sure.

Yes I have, but I'm hoping to see some even better ones under CCM in the next few years, at least I'm holding out hope.  ;D
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas