• 394,679 Topics
• 22,262 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Since the SEC era, which Hog team do you think was the most talented/starstudded  (Read 1174 times)

Sweet Feet

• Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net

Which Arkansas team since 92 do you think had the most talent overall?

rhames

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

KatyHawg68

• Walk-On

rlamb

Think if Matt had redshirted in 04' that I believe Matt truly wanted to do and play basketball,
then he would have had a full year to play and (option) to the greatest football player in Hog
history, D-Mac. A backfield of Matt at QB, Darren at TB, Hillis at FB and Felix at slot/HB would
have been very formidable. And that year, I think the SEC was Sabanless!

jgphillips3

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Life is too short for bad beer.

2006 followed closely by 2010 and then 2003/2007/2011 all pretty close.

Mike Irwin

2006. The only Arkansas team to win the SEC West outright at 7-1. The only Arkansas team to play in the SEC Championship game and not get blown out.

Tejano Jawg

• Ahhhhhhhh……the off-season.

2006. The only Arkansas team to win the SEC West outright at 7-1. The only Arkansas team to play in the SEC Championship game and not get blown out.

MI makes a pretty good case here.

A few runners-up—the Stoerner-Lucas teams, the Matt Jones-Ced Cobbs team, and had Marcus Monk not been hurt in 2007, that would be a contender.

rtr

That team had it all in front of them until the dysfunction on the staff took them out.

rtr

I think the 98, 2003,2010,and 2011 were pretty good too. 

ChicoHog

• RIP Glenn. You're "Already Gone" way too soon

2006 and then the 2010 team. That team had Bama on the ropes at home and then blew it, lost at eventual National Champion Auburn with some bad calls and an amazing game from Wilson backing up Mallett and then the Sugar Bowl when Julian Horton inexplicably fell on the blocked punt instead of scoop and score.

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose

2006 and then the 2010 team. That team had Bama on the ropes at home and then blew it, lost at eventual National Champion Auburn with some bad calls and an amazing game from Wilson backing up Mallett and then the Sugar Bowl when Julian Horton inexplicably fell on the blocked punt instead of scoop and score.

Goes to show how just a few plays can make or break a season. We weren't gonna beat Auburn, but Alabama and Ohio State got a lot of help from us.

Hogs-n-Roses

• Coming to a Stadium Near You!

07 for that team to have 4 losses was criminal.

Cinco de Hogo

2006 but if Anderson and Houston hadn’t gone pro a year early our 2007 team would have been sick.  Four 1st rounders would have been in that team.

sowmonella

• Who threw a pizza on my roof?

2006 had Championship caliber talent.

zeke_in_kc

• Senior
  • Called it right from "jump."

I believe 2006, the team that went out and TOOK from people as opposed to a 2010 squad that backed into everything.

Cinco de Hogo

I believe 2006, the team that went out and TOOK from people as opposed to a 2010 squad that backed into everything.

LOL I think it amounts to the same thing but I understand YOUR reasoning.

2010 was a much tougher time in the SEC.

But I agree, 2006 had the talent just not the coach.

cmphill87

• Bench Warmer
  • Wooo sooo piggy!

I'd argue it did have the coach in 2006. Outside factors and politics screwed the 2006 season not HDN.  HDN was the best production of subpar talent Arkansas has had in 25 years. He was also the best recruiter. People won't admit it for some reason. Hog fans have some vendetta against him, and I'll never understand why. Yeah he left on a sour note....but Petrino came and left on a sour note, and is still a hero....just sayin'

The 2006 squad was bar none the most talented SEC era team and it's not close by any stretch. 12 draft picks...should have been 13. We were a Reggie Fish muffed punt and bad Tebow spots from an SEC championship. Do you blame Nutt for that? I can't.

If Mustain really wasn't that good, then why couldn't he cut it anywhere else? Truth is, he wasn't that good...and I played against the guy. Of the Springdale group, only Damien Williams was real talent. Ben Cleveland was pretty solid as well.

rtr

I'd argue it did have the coach in 2006. Outside factors and politics screwed the 2006 season not HDN.  HDN was the best production of subpar talent Arkansas has had in 25 years. He was also the best recruiter. People won't admit it for some reason. Hog fans have some vendetta against him, and I'll never understand why. Yeah he left on a sour note....but Petrino came and left on a sour note, and is still a hero....just sayin'

The 2006 squad was bar none the most talented SEC era team and it's not close by any stretch. 12 draft picks...should have been 13. We were a Reggie Fish muffed punt and bad Tebow spots from an SEC championship. Do you blame Nutt for that? I can't.

If Mustain really wasn't that good, then why couldn't he cut it anywhere else? Truth is, he wasn't that good...and I played against the guy. Of the Springdale group, only Damien Williams was real talent. Ben Cleveland was pretty solid as well.
You cannot be serious.  How about losing the last 3 games of the season when it was all there for the taking.  How about the melodrama he allowed his team and coaching staff to become?  A total leadership failure.

rtr

Not at the end they didn't take anything.  Zeke, you are loyal if nothing else but no

cmphill87

• Bench Warmer
  • Wooo sooo piggy!

You cannot be serious.  How about losing the last 3 games of the season when it was all there for the taking.  How about the melodrama he allowed his team and coaching staff to become?  A total leadership failure.

Entirely serious...when compared to Petrino. Why is Petrino praised by Razorback fans so much even though he had an ugly entrance and exit. Maybe he was a good leader and coach but was completely isolated and morally questionable. Go back and watch the 2006 SEC title game. That was by no means a meltdown....the is multiple times where Tebow was given an extra 2 yards on the ball spots. Then the Reggie Fish muff. The LSU game that year wasn't even a breakdown.

The melodrama was partially Nutt, but it was also Jim Lindsey and other boosters. Nutt made it known he did not want nor did he need Mustain. Turns out, he might have been right. Mustains career by all accounts was a failure.

HogPharmer

Entirely serious...when compared to Petrino. Why is Petrino praised by Razorback fans so much even though he had an ugly entrance and exit. Maybe he was a good leader and coach but was completely isolated and morally questionable. Go back and watch the 2006 SEC title game. That was by no means a meltdown....the is multiple times where Tebow was given an extra 2 yards on the ball spots. Then the Reggie Fish muff. The LSU game that year wasn't even a breakdown.

The melodrama was partially Nutt, but it was also Jim Lindsey and other boosters. Nutt made it known he did not want nor did he need Mustain. Turns out, he might have been right. Mustains career by all accounts was a failure.

You answered your own question

cmphill87

• Bench Warmer
  • Wooo sooo piggy!

You answered your own question

Meant to genius, its called rhetorical and making a point.....hair-brained comments like yours are a classic example of why Hogville is a laughing stock.  :puke:

Come back with an actual thought maybe? HND was also a good coach, but you wont admit it. You completely missed that point.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.

Most talented/star studded? I have to go with 1998 in total, offense and defense. Ford knew the importance of defense and had recruited really well on that side of the ball, left HDN alot of talent. Also Ford bit the bullet in late 96 and all of 97 and played young talent like Clint and others and they took their lumps, but by 98 were ready for prime time.

2006 had the big time backs, and Monk, but the defense was not great and was helped greatly by the clock rules that year ( clock started on the ready for play after kickoffs, and when the ball was kicked, not when it was touched after the kick ) and by a offense that ran alot and ate clock too.

2010 really had the most pieces, NFL draft picks all over the offense, but could not beat a Bama team, at home, that ended up with 3 SEC loses, and also had to play Aub, a team that was just better than everyone else that year ( regardless of if they were or were not dirty ).

One thing all 3 of those had in common was they were good on both lines.

Hogdomer

Good off season question.  I would say there are only 4 choices, 1998, 2006, 2010 and 2003.  I think the 2003 team had the most talent but coaching made it a disappointment.  For instance, the 2011 team wasn't nearly as talented as the 2003 team but won 11 games. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas