• 396,439 Topics
• 22,589 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Late Friday non-update on playing in WMS  (Read 2564 times)

tusksincolorado

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Aniston has nothing on me!
Re: Late Friday non-update on playing in WMS
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2018, 05:59:04 pm »

He must not know who he's talking to...

I am VERY worried....

I think that Rice has met his match....

ricepig

« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2018, 08:01:52 pm »

I am VERY worried....

I don't hold a candle to Warren, shoot, his company manages my money, I'll be lucky to have anything left after this.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

moses_007

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Bring the Wood!
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2018, 01:00:04 am »

If we play one game a year in Little Rock, let's open the season with a top notch opponent like we did in the 70s.

Let's open with Stanford, Southern Cal or Notre Dame.  Teams like that....

That would fill the stadium up.  A game against Toledo doesn't excite any fan in Little Rock.

NaturalStateReb

• Czar of Arkansas
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2018, 09:51:15 am »

I don't think capacity is the issue.  Even at 75,000, it doesn't make sense to play 3 games in Little Rock now, and it didn't then.

What might make sense is to renovate WMS to bring it up to standards acceptable for one conference opponent per year, maybe one every other year with a G5 game in off years until the A&M series goes home-and-home. 

A friend in Little Rock recently told me about a $70.5M renovation to Robinson Auditorium.  He said it is spectacular.  That's a great thing for Little Rock and is sure to improve the quality of theater and concerts available in the capital city, especially in the downtown district, where cities across the country are being revitalized and reurbanized.  The renovation was funded by bonds financed through an existing 2% Little Rock Advertising & Promotion tax and was approved by voters in a special election Dec. 10, 2013.  A similar investment in WMS could yield dividends from a branding perspective to quality of life to community confidence.

From the 60's through the 90's, Razorbacks football and WMS were perhaps the most visible piece of Arkansas most people in the country ever saw.  Frank Broyles, Lou Holtz, Ken Hatfield, television (especially ABC) and the Goodyear Blimp had a lot to do with that.  Arkansas football just happened to be at its height at the same time television invested heavily in college football.  In other words, the exposure Arkansas and Little Rock, in particular, received during those forty years was powerful as a branding tool.  The state of Arkansas, NWA, and the University still get great pub from televised college football, but what was once a positive for Little Rock has become a negative.  Within Arkansas itself, WMS has become a symbol of urban blight.  That's a real issue that decision makers and leadership must be struggling with now. 

This really is a critical issue for Little Rock for reasons that go beyond Razorbacks football.   

I don't know that WMS is necessarily a "symbol of urban blight," but I agree with pretty much everything else here.

The stadium isn't actually in that bad of shape--it's still a pretty serviceable, if older stadium.  What people have to remember is that WMS is getting compared to football palaces that are attached to seemingly endless streams of money.  WMS isn't attached to those kinds of revenue streams.

You're right that WMS is important for Little Rock, and also right that they could get a lot of mileage out of WMS from a deal not unlike the Robinson Auditorium deal.  With enough players, there probably could be $70M for WMS renovations.  I don't think we're going to be able to come up with the $250M it would take to build a new one, and Little Rock needs a stadium-sized venue.

HogPharmer

« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2018, 10:30:39 am »

I am VERY worried....

He's from Sheridan... Trust me, nobody in that town is worth a damn and the biggest investments they have are in Chuck E. Cheese tokens. I think Rice probably has more money under his mattress than anybody in that town has in the bank.

hawganatic

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2018, 10:58:55 am »

Until our program is worthy of having two home stadiums, they should have to play all their home games in NW Arkansas.  Yes, WMS isn't the grand palace that Razorback Stadium is but also we have to consider the hard working people of Little Rock.  Why should they be expected to turn out to see the results of the last few years? 

When Arkansas has another 8 or 9 win season and wins a decent bowl game, then maybe we can talk about whether they need two stadiums.  Some things must be earned.  Right now, it's better if they stay closer to home.  Spend that extra travel time in the gym or watching film.  Maybe get a top 20 recruiting class in this century.

Niice...

hawganatic

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2018, 11:00:10 am »

If we play one game a year in Little Rock, let's open the season with a top notch opponent like we did in the 70s.

Let's open with Stanford, Southern Cal or Notre Dame.  Teams like that....

That would fill the stadium up.  A game against Toledo doesn't excite any fan in Little Rock.

Yeah, because its just so easy to get big name programs like that to come in and play. 

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I need help with my footwork, too.
« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2018, 11:01:05 am »

I don't know that WMS is necessarily a "symbol of urban blight," but I agree with pretty much everything else here.

The stadium isn't actually in that bad of shape--it's still a pretty serviceable, if older stadium.  What people have to remember is that WMS is getting compared to football palaces that are attached to seemingly endless streams of money.  WMS isn't attached to those kinds of revenue streams.

You're right that WMS is important for Little Rock, and also right that they could get a lot of mileage out of WMS from a deal not unlike the Robinson Auditorium deal.  With enough players, there probably could be $70M for WMS renovations.  I don't think we're going to be able to come up with the $250M it would take to build a new one, and Little Rock needs a stadium-sized venue.

My comment about “urban blight” is driven by the comments I see here. Little Rock is a city needing renovation and energy, but it is far from the hellhole Hogville would lead you to believe it is.

The stadium itself has decades of life left in it, but it does need a facelift in addition to the repairs and upgrades mentioned in Jeff Long’s proposal and the recent feasibilty study.  I was stunned and saddened when I approached the stadium from the east for the Spring game and saw the badly stained facade. How much does it cost to power wash or sandblast?  Do you clean up your yard when your in-laws visit?  Vanderbilt Stadium was built in 1922, seats 40,000, and has cramped concourses and bathrooms. But it is clean.

I don’t understand how or why WMS is allowed to look the way it does currently, but someone should be embarrassed.

longtimeHogfan

« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2018, 04:06:10 pm »

The comparison of Guantanamo to WMS by someone on Hogville as cruel and unusual punishment by the Geneva convention was the best.

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2018, 04:21:01 pm »

Until our program is worthy of having two home stadiums, they should have to play all their home games in NW Arkansas.  Yes, WMS isn't the grand palace that Razorback Stadium is but also we have to consider the hard working people of Little Rock.  Why should they be expected to turn out to see the results of the last few years? 

When Arkansas has another 8 or 9 win season and wins a decent bowl game, then maybe we can talk about whether they need two stadiums.  Some things must be earned.  Right now, it's better if they stay closer to home.  Spend that extra travel time in the gym or watching film.  Maybe get a top 20 recruiting class in this century.
perfect

prattville pig

« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2018, 04:22:59 pm »

He's from Sheridan... Trust me, nobody in that town is worth a damn and the biggest investments they have are in Chuck E. Cheese tokens. I think Rice probably has more money under his mattress than anybody in that town has in the bank.
I'm from Sheridan, and I know he has more money under his mattress than I have in the bank!

secfan30

« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2018, 04:26:14 pm »

Are you referring to the old diamond center complex? That goes a long way back.

I remember this and even though I was a young teenager I never understood why this was not allowed to happen.

jbcarol

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas