• 9,924,431 Posts
• 399,198 Topics
• 22,882 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Late Friday non-update on playing in WMS  (Read 2597 times)

jbcarol

Malvin

Re: Late Friday non-update on playing in WMS
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 11:08:01 pm »

Can't believe there are still people in this state that want to see the Razorbacks play in a high school stadium. 

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Wild Bill Hog

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 06:13:00 am »

Can't believe there are still people in this state that want to see the Razorbacks play in a high school stadium. 

Well, for the last six years we pretty much had a high school caliber team.

longtimeHogfan

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 07:44:55 am »

Ouch! 

Dark Helmet Hog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Now let's see how well you handle it...
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 08:27:14 am »

There are nicer high school stadiums.

Athog

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 08:53:22 am »

Well then let’s lower our standards! Wow makes good ?

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2018, 09:01:51 am »

Some of the decision could be based on how much money those donors give mentioned in the link. My take is if they have truly threatened to pull donations then maybe they do not have the overall best interest of the program in mind but what they think is best for themselves.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 01:05:41 pm by Inhogswetrust »

Ex-Trumpet

• Gold Hogvillian
  • When life gives you lemons, get a boob job!
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2018, 09:39:52 am »

WMS was always a great place to play back in the day...was never top notch facilities.

Atmosphere and expectations of a win were always at the highest.  That changed under Bielema and I'm not sure it will ever be the way it used to be.

HogPharmer

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2018, 09:53:39 am »

Presser at 4

ricepig

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2018, 10:30:30 am »

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2018, 10:27:09 am »

It past time to shut this one down.

MultipleScoreGasms

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2018, 12:12:50 pm »

Some of the decision could be based on how much money those donors give mentioned in the link. My take is if they have truly threatened to pull donations then maybe they do not have the overall best interest of the program in mind but what they think is best for themselves.

Well it is their money.  If they don't feel their interests are being served, they certainly have the right to withhold it.  The Razorbacks won't be the only institution to lose donations because donors don't approve of a particular decision.  Happens every day.

phadedhawg

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2018, 12:18:56 pm »

Until our program is worthy of having two home stadiums, they should have to play all their home games in NW Arkansas.  Yes, WMS isn't the grand palace that Razorback Stadium is but also we have to consider the hard working people of Little Rock.  Why should they be expected to turn out to see the results of the last few years? 

When Arkansas has another 8 or 9 win season and wins a decent bowl game, then maybe we can talk about whether they need two stadiums.  Some things must be earned.  Right now, it's better if they stay closer to home.  Spend that extra travel time in the gym or watching film.  Maybe get a top 20 recruiting class in this century. 

Dark Helmet Hog

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2018, 12:26:44 pm »

The only thing I liked about Long is that it appeared he was willing to cut the cord on WMS.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

• Gold Hogvillian
  • One tusk over the line sweet Jesus...
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2018, 12:37:48 pm »

I can't believe grown men argue like little babies and put stuff down that they don't agree with by using hyperbolic school child "Put Down" language... The place has seen some of the most memorable Razorback's games of the last 20 years, just as it has the 50 years before that. The decision is out of your hands and mine. Quit being prickish...

navyhog24

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2018, 12:45:15 pm »

I can't believe grown men argue like little babies and put stuff down that they don't agree with by using hyperbolic school child "Put Down" language... The place has seen some of the most memorable Razorback's games of the last 20 years, just as it has the 50 years before that. The decision is out of your hands and mine. Quit being prickish...

We can see you are actually one of those people that want there to be a game in WMS.

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2018, 12:47:56 pm »

WMS was always a great place to play back in the day...was never top notch facilities.

Atmosphere and expectations of a win were always at the highest.  That changed under Bielema and I'm not sure it will ever be the way it used to be.

Regrettably I agree.

LAHogfan123

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2018, 12:57:33 pm »

This ^^^^!!!   Despite what many so called Razorback fans on here say, it's out of our hands on where the games are going to be played, and many resort to "baby fits" to try and get a point across about how bad they hate a game being held in Little Rock despite some never being to a game there.  Some same there are better high school stadiums than War Memorial, well, yes there are, but not in Arkansas.   And many talk about the money lost by the UofA by playing in Little Rock, it's never been about the money end of it, it was done so the University could attract fans from across the whole region insteam of just the small corner of the State it resided in.  In the last 20 years plus, the UofA has never lost money playing in Little Rock either as many say, it's always been compensated heavily by two very powerful boosters plus quite a few smaller ones, the UofA would definitely feel the loss if they did lose two of the boosters, I would not like to see that happen, and I'm for all games to be moved, simply because I'm sick and tired of all of these constant GSD threads that flood MMQ.

Dark Helmet Hog

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2018, 01:10:19 pm »

This ^^^^!!!   Despite what many so called Razorback fans on here say, it's out of our hands on where the games are going to be played, and many resort to "baby fits" to try and get a point across about how bad they hate a game being held in Little Rock despite some never being to a game there.  Some same there are better high school stadiums than War Memorial, well, yes there are, but not in Arkansas.   And many talk about the money lost by the UofA by playing in Little Rock, it's never been about the money end of it, it was done so the University could attract fans from across the whole region insteam of just the small corner of the State it resided in.  In the last 20 years plus, the UofA has never lost money playing in Little Rock either as many say, it's always been compensated heavily by two very powerful boosters plus quite a few smaller ones, the UofA would definitely feel the loss if they did lose two of the boosters, I would not like to see that happen, and I'm for all games to be moved, simply because I'm sick and tired of all of these constant GSD threads that flood MMQ.

Actually, there are nicer high school stadiums in NW Arkansas than WMS. Not as big but nicer.

The real end of WMS stadium began with the first renovation of Razorback Stadium. It's interesting that no one is willing to step up and renovate WMS to current standards. It's a sign that the time may be right to move all the games. It's time to proceed to the modern era. Unfortunately, all good things must end.

idochog

• Hammer down!
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2018, 01:36:30 pm »

I have great memories from games there but cmon, hanging on to tradition when it isnt in the best interest of the university is stupid and selfish

ricepig

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2018, 01:44:23 pm »

So, these boosters pay more than the $4.7m difference in a game in WMS and RRS? And why would these boosters quit donating, they don't own WMS?

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2018, 01:56:47 pm »

Actually, there are nicer high school stadiums in NW Arkansas than WMS. Not as big but nicer.

The real end of WMS stadium began with the first renovation of Razorback Stadium. It's interesting that no one is willing to step up and renovate WMS to current standards. It's a sign that the time may be right to move all the games. It's time to proceed to the modern era. Unfortunately, all good things must end.

Didn't Warren Stephens offer to pony up some major $$$ to help expand and renovate WMS around the time RRS was expanding, but was told "thanks but no thanks"? By Broyles maybe?

Dark Helmet Hog

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2018, 02:31:00 pm »

Didn't Warren Stephens offer to pony up some major $$$ to help expand and renovate WMS around the time RRS was expanding, but was told "thanks but no thanks"? By Broyles maybe?

That's a good question. I honestly can't remember.

Mike Irwin

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2018, 02:33:01 pm »

As I recall Stephens proposed a plan that would put an upper deck on the east side of WMS which would bring its capacity to 65,000. But to do it Arkansas would have to continue to split the games 3-3 or 4-3 with Fayetteville. Frank said no because he needed the extra games at DWRRS to help pay off the bonds for renovation and expansion. Specifically he had all those new luxury boxes to lease on the east and south sides and three games a year would not have been much of a selling point.

Busta_Nutt

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2018, 03:01:10 pm »

Heck, if it's good enough for the Salt Bowl each year, it's good enough for one (1) Razorback game each year.

Porked Tongue

« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2018, 03:03:18 pm »

Prepare yourselves for the end.

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I need help with my footwork, too.
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2018, 03:09:29 pm »

As I recall Stephens proposed a plan that would put an upper deck on the east side of WMS which would bring its capacity to 65,000. But to do it Arkansas would have to continue to split the games 3-3 or 4-3 with Fayetteville. Frank said no because he needed the extra games at DWRRS to help pay off the bonds for renovation and expansion. Specifically he had all those new luxury boxes to lease on the east and south sides and three games a year would not have been much of a selling point.

I don't think capacity is the issue.  Even at 75,000, it doesn't make sense to play 3 games in Little Rock now, and it didn't then.

What might make sense is to renovate WMS to bring it up to standards acceptable for one conference opponent per year, maybe one every other year with a G5 game in off years until the A&M series goes home-and-home. 

A friend in Little Rock recently told me about a $70.5M renovation to Robinson Auditorium.  He said it is spectacular.  That's a great thing for Little Rock and is sure to improve the quality of theater and concerts available in the capital city, especially in the downtown district, where cities across the country are being revitalized and reurbanized.  The renovation was funded by bonds financed through an existing 2% Little Rock Advertising & Promotion tax and was approved by voters in a special election Dec. 10, 2013.  A similar investment in WMS could yield dividends from a branding perspective to quality of life to community confidence.

From the 60's through the 90's, Razorbacks football and WMS were perhaps the most visible piece of Arkansas most people in the country ever saw.  Frank Broyles, Lou Holtz, Ken Hatfield, television (especially ABC) and the Goodyear Blimp had a lot to do with that.  Arkansas football just happened to be at its height at the same time television invested heavily in college football.  In other words, the exposure Arkansas and Little Rock, in particular, received during those forty years was powerful as a branding tool.  The state of Arkansas, NWA, and the University still get great pub from televised college football, but what was once a positive for Little Rock has become a negative.  Within Arkansas itself, WMS has become a symbol of urban blight.  That's a real issue that decision makers and leadership must be struggling with now. 

This really is a critical issue for Little Rock for reasons that go beyond Razorbacks football.   

sowmonella

• You know I'm right.
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2018, 03:25:53 pm »

Sadly the time has come. Let's move forward and support the Razorbacks.

LAHogfan123

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2018, 03:30:27 pm »

So, these boosters pay more than the $4.7m difference in a game in WMS and RRS? And why would these boosters quit donating, they don't own WMS?

They pay more than that, yes.  I could give you the exact numbers but that is not necessary nor no one's business.  They don't own WMS, the State owns it as everyone on this Board that comments on this GSD debates know already, including you rice.  They have threatened to quit because they want the Razorbacks to keep having a presence in Central Arkansas, the economic impact of the Razorbacks playing in Little Rock in huge, even for one game, and helps not just economically but political agendas as well. 

ricepig

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2018, 03:46:22 pm »

They pay more than that, yes.  I could give you the exact numbers but that is not necessary nor no one's business.  They don't own WMS, the State owns it as everyone on this Board that comments on this GSD debates know already, including you rice.  They have threatened to quit because they want the Razorbacks to keep having a presence in Central Arkansas, the economic impact of the Razorbacks playing in Little Rock in huge, even for one game, and helps not just economically but political agendas as well. 

I call b.s, I'm sorry I don't believe you. I don't doubt about the political agendas, but there are always those.

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2018, 03:51:37 pm »

Pretty much how I remember it, except I guess I didn't know about the even split in games condition. I can see where that would be a deal breaker for Frank.

LAHogfan123

« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2018, 03:58:09 pm »

And as I stated, I'm all for moving all games to NWA, but I'd also like to see WMS get a complete renovation bringing it's capacity to around the 65,000 to 70,000 figure as well.  A newly renovated stadium with all that the city now has to offer would be a great selling point for future events.  Verizon Arena, which is a very nice arena indoors, has never been aesthetically pleasing to the eye outdoors.  What was once proposed for Little Rock, was a beautiful facility for basketball, the Stephens offered free land to build the Stadium on, but it was turned down, I wonder if anyone remembers the name of it?  Frank Broyles really wanted to see it get built.  But, Verizon was eventually built and it's been and economic boom for the city, hosting numerous concerts, NCAA Basketball Tournaments for the men in March madness as well as the SEC NCAA Womens Tournament 3 different times, being the most attended venue of any SEC women's event ever.  I think WMS could eventually do the same thing if presented by the city right if it was renovated.

LAHogfan123

« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2018, 03:59:25 pm »

I call b.s, I'm sorry I don't believe you. I don't doubt about the political agendas, but there are always those.

I don't give a ---- whether you do or not, I'm not the one pulling your string. 

ricepig

« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2018, 04:08:18 pm »

I don't give a ---- whether you do or not, I'm not the one pulling your string. 

I'll let you pull my finger, that probably equates closer to your level.

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2018, 04:13:17 pm »

And as I stated, I'm all for moving all games to NWA, but I'd also like to see WMS get a complete renovation bringing it's capacity to around the 65,000 to 70,000 figure as well.  A newly renovated stadium with all that the city now has to offer would be a great selling point for future events.  Verizon Arena, which is a very nice arena indoors, has never been aesthetically pleasing to the eye outdoors.  What was once proposed for Little Rock, was a beautiful facility for basketball, the Stephens offered free land to build the Stadium on, but it was turned down, I wonder if anyone remembers the name of it?  Frank Broyles really wanted to see it get built.  But, Verizon was eventually built and it's been and economic boom for the city, hosting numerous concerts, NCAA Basketball Tournaments for the men in March madness as well as the SEC NCAA Womens Tournament 3 different times, being the most attended venue of any SEC women's event ever.  I think WMS could eventually do the same thing if presented by the city right if it was renovated.

Are you referring to the old diamond center complex? That goes a long way back.

LAHogfan123

« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2018, 04:27:51 pm »

I'll let you pull my finger, that probably equates closer to your level.

I'm far above your level, in both class and wealth.  And I don't need to pull your finger to know what you smell like, trailer trash has its own brand of smell, perhaps you should market it.

LAHogfan123

« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2018, 04:29:18 pm »

Are you referring to the old diamond center complex? That goes a long way back.

That's correct LZH.  I was surprised anyone even remembered it.  It was a beautiful complex.

ricepig

« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2018, 04:29:48 pm »

I'm far above your level, in both class and wealth.  And I don't need to pull your finger to know what you smell like, trailer trash has its own brand of smell, perhaps you should market it.

Lol, ok Warren.

Jim Harris

• Global Moderator
  • Bring me some DTs!
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2018, 04:30:37 pm »

I can't believe there are people insistent on referring to WMS as a high school stadium.

Quigley Stadium is a high school stadium. Arkansas hasn't played there since 1946 and won't play there ever again. Neither has Arkansas nor Ole Miss played in Crump Stadium in Memphis since 1959 or so or will again. Crump is a high school stadium.

LAHogfan123

« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2018, 04:32:10 pm »

Lol, ok Warren.

Yeah, go back to your lawn mowing job, your wife needs new teeth.

LAHogfan123

« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2018, 04:33:10 pm »

I can't believe there are people insistent on referring to WMS as a high school stadium.

Quigley Stadium is a high school stadium. Arkansas hasn't played there since 1946 and won't play there ever again. Neither has Arkansas nor Ole Miss played in Crump Stadium in Memphis since 1959 or so or will again. Crump is a high school stadium.

This ^^^^^.

Jim Harris

• Global Moderator
  • Bring me some DTs!
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2018, 04:35:37 pm »

Yes, 1996, Warren and Joe Ford both went to Broyles with a proposal to expand WMS. He told them it wasn't needed. He didn't say, "I'm expanded RRS to 72,000" either, but he told them with the ticket demand where it was in 1996, it wasn't needed.

ricepig

« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2018, 04:40:45 pm »

I would, but it doesn't burn Jet-A.

HogPharmer

« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2018, 04:41:24 pm »

razorbackfaninar

• Senior
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2018, 04:42:39 pm »

Well size-wise it is much bigger than most high school stadiums.  It's a bit worse for wear, but even that palace that Allen HS built only holds about 18,000.  I guess people mean it looks kind of crappy in places like an old HS stadium.  From my perspective the argument has nothing to do with how good or bad the stadium looks.  I just think it is a tradition that has passed it's time.  I loved having games there and I have some great memories, but I think it's passed it's usefulness.

Uberanubis

« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2018, 04:47:04 pm »

dont know many high school stadiums that hold 55k+ but maybe you do. please enlighten us about how high school war memorial stadium is?

yes the stadium is extremely old and there are disadvantages to playing there.

im not sure who from war memorial has caused you to be so butt hurt about it though.  that  must be a good story.

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2018, 04:58:41 pm »

That's correct LZH.  I was surprised anyone even remembered it.  It was a beautiful complex.

Yeah I was living there at the time, late 80s I believe. I was also told several years later that it came closer to happening than I ever imagined. There was some real heavy weights behind that project.

LAHogfan123

« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2018, 05:12:39 pm »

Yeah I was living there at the time, late 80s I believe. I was also told several years later that it came closer to happening than I ever imagined. There was some real heavy weights behind that project.

I wish that it would have came to fruition.  Better looking Arena, a huge parcel of land was going to be donated for it, instead of paying the millions of dollars that was spent on the site that Verizon now sits plus the other that was taken by eminent domain.

tusksincolorado

• Aniston has nothing on me!
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2018, 05:14:05 pm »

The GSD has always brought the very best out of everybody involved....

HogPharmer

« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2018, 05:45:35 pm »

The GSD has always brought the very best out of everybody involved....

He must not know who he's talking to...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas