• 396,432 Topics
• 22,588 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cotton Bowl Hall of Fame Inductee  (Read 2003 times)

hawganatic

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: Cotton Bowl Hall of Fame Inductee
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2018, 04:42:29 pm »

The same players Danny Ford only won 4 games with in years 4 and 5... dont see your point here

Point is Nutt has done well when he had teams another coaching staff developed.  When he got to a point where it was all his players and his development, he didn't do as well.

Happened here at Arkansas and at Ole Miss.

hawganatic

• Senior
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2018, 04:50:02 pm »

What a difference the decisions you make as a young person can make in your life.

Had he taken the scholarship to bama (purportedly The Bear was a family friend) instead of the UofA he likely still wouldn't have been the starter but had he stuck there he'd have been in their family tree.  This would have given him a shot at their HC spot and I think with his style of play and the players available there he would have won several championships.

Heck, with the guidance of their GOBN he might still be there.  Then saban would still be at lsu and thus beatable given their penchant for corndogery.  ;)

This is a pretty big stretch.  Countless players from that program have gone into coaching, and haven't even come close to being on that staff, much less the HC.

Only reason Nutt was even hired here was his ties to the state.  If not for that, he would have probably flamed out at Boise State and been relegated to a career at a DII school...

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Malvin

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2018, 06:39:39 pm »

1.  We had to suffer through way too many years of having this idiot for a head coach.  Matt Jones and later McFadden/Jones/Hillis bought him time that he did not deserve.

Hmmm, so you were suffering when McFadden was blowing teams apart, Matt Jones was driving teams crazy?  I seem to remember having a lot of fun back then beating teams like LSU & Alabama.  I guess you prefer the BB days where we couldn't beat a single SEC team... I guess you felt good during that time.

Mike_e

• All-American Hogvillian
  • May the woo be with you
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2018, 07:11:59 pm »

This is a pretty big stretch.  Countless players from that program have gone into coaching, and haven't even come close to being on that staff, much less the HC.

Only reason Nutt was even hired here was his ties to the state.  If not for that, he would have probably flamed out at Boise State and been relegated to a career at a DII school...

:)  I did say "a shot".

Regardless, like him or dislike him (I fall into the second category) he's had more success than most.  How many of us would love to be 'relegated' to a career at a DII school?

HenduHog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Razorbacks: Hostile and mobile
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2018, 07:39:22 pm »

We need to end that Texas A & M-Cotton Bowl match-up ASAP.  Like today.

I agree. We don't gain much and no matter what people say, it's a damn home game for TAMU every year.

870rzrback

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2018, 04:50:19 am »

Point is Nutt has done well when he had teams another coaching staff developed.  When he got to a point where it was all his players and his development, he didn't do as well.

Happened here at Arkansas and at Ole Miss.

I remember that very different. Not saying I'm a fan of nutt I'm just a logical person. nutt really wasn't a terrible coach he just wasn't a great coach. He had 2 more 9 win seasons and a 10 win season with his own players while he was here.  To say he only did well with Fords players, which Ford himself couldn't even win with, isn't true at all. He had 2 more seasons just as good and another one better while he was here.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2018, 07:26:55 am »

I agree. We don't gain much and no matter what people say, it's a damn home game for TAMU every year.

A home game for TAMU? Have you looked at the attendance? We generally have as much if not more fans there than them. It is closer to their campus yet fans can be scattered everywhere. There are a LOT of alums and Hog fans and people with family connections to Arkansas in the metro area there. DFW is a mixed bag with fans of teams from all over.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 07:38:36 am by Inhogswetrust »

HogPharmer

« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2018, 07:38:42 am »

A home game for TAMU? Have you looked at the attendance? We generally have as much if not more fans there than them. It is closer to their campus yet fans can be scattered everywhere.

I think his point is that our team is still the one that has to travel as if itís an away game every year. And maybe if we had 90% of the fans in the stadium instead of 50%, that may have been enough to get us over the hump and actually pull out a W since they joined the SEC. Thatís no excuse for our devastating and embarrassing losses to them so many years in a row. But it may have made a difference.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2018, 07:42:45 am »

I think his point is that our team is still the one that has to travel as if itís an away game every year. And maybe if we had 90% of the fans in the stadium instead of 50%, that may have been enough to get us over the hump and actually pull out a W since they joined the SEC. Thatís no excuse for our devastating and embarrassing losses to them so many years in a row. But it may have made a difference.

Iíll concede your point on team travel but thatís all. However both teams have to travel. Heck for TAMU it is analogous to us going to play at WMS in travel time for them.

HogPharmer

« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2018, 07:49:40 am »

Iíll concede your point on team travel but thatís all. However both teams have to travel. Heck for TAMU it is analogous to us going to play at WMS in travel time for them.

I donít disagree with you. I was just trying to clarify the OPís point. As I was typing, I was thinking ďTAMU probably spends more time on the bus than our players do on the plane.Ē

DLUXHOG

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • It'll feel better when it quits hurtin'
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2018, 11:41:58 am »

That's true. Lou was good at winning big with the previous coaches players but once Frank's players left the Program, it declined.

Something went right as Holtz never had a losing season in his 7 years as HC......

Iím sure most Hog fans would give their first born to have a run of success like that now....
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas