• 394,679 Topics
• 22,262 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Cotton Bowl Hall of Fame Inductee  (Read 1829 times)

lakecityhog

Cotton Bowl Hall of Fame Inductee
« on: May 10, 2018, 07:09:36 pm »

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/nutt-inducted-into-cotton-bowl-hall-of-fame/

In 10 seasons as Arkansas head coach (1998-2007), Nutt compiled a 75-48 record becoming the third coach in program history to lead the Razorbacks to a bowl game in each of his first six seasons. He led Arkansas to three SEC Western Division titles (1998, 2002, 2006), eight bowl games, three final top 25 national rankings and four nine-win seasons.

Nutt ranks second in school history with 75 coaching victories and eight bowl appearances, trailing only the legendary Frank Broyles (144 wins and 10 bowl appearances). His 8-0 start in 1998 marked the best debut ever for a Razorback head coach and helped the program reach its first New Year’s Day game since 1990.

If he just had his ego under control and a better work ethic Nutt could have done some great things at Arkansas. Love him or hate him, he won a lot of games.

lakecityhog

Re: Cotton Bowl Hall of Fame Inductee
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 08:55:19 pm »

Come on guys, not ONE comment???

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

pigture perfect

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 10:15:58 pm »

I think you were right about the ego being his down fall. I had little to no problem with him calling the plays. I wish he had never been forced to hire Gus.

ur

• All-American Hogvillian
  • The First Back to Back 7A Football State Champions
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 10:22:30 pm »

Won more Cotton Bowls as a Rebel.

Athog

• Hogville.net
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 05:43:53 am »

I think you were right about the ego being his down fall. I had little to no problem with him calling the plays. I wish he had never been forced to hire Gus.

Totally agree!

carolinahogger

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 06:01:18 am »

Nutt ranks second in school history with 75 coaching victories and eight bowl appearances, trailing only the legendary Frank Broyles (144 wins and 10 bowl appearances). His 8-0 start in 1998 marked the best debut ever for a Razorback head coach and helped the program reach its first New Year’s Day game since 1990.

1.  We had to suffer through way too many years of having this idiot for a head coach.  Matt Jones and later McFadden/Jones/Hillis bought him time that he did not deserve.

2.  His 8-0 start was with Danny Ford's players.

Mike_e

• May the woo be with you
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 07:05:27 am »

What a difference the decisions you make as a young person can make in your life.

Had he taken the scholarship to bama (purportedly The Bear was a family friend) instead of the UofA he likely still wouldn't have been the starter but had he stuck there he'd have been in their family tree.  This would have given him a shot at their HC spot and I think with his style of play and the players available there he would have won several championships.

Heck, with the guidance of their GOBN he might still be there.  Then saban would still be at lsu and thus beatable given their penchant for corndogery.  ;)

yraciv

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2018, 08:25:38 am »

One of the problems with Nutt was the Cotton Bowl was the goal every year. I even saw his daughter post a story about how every Christmas the family tradition was learning their bowl destination, and her best memory was when HDN came in the room saying we get to go Cotton picking again.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2018, 08:44:54 am »

One of the problems with Nutt was the Cotton Bowl was the goal every year. I even saw his daughter post a story about how every Christmas the family tradition was learning their bowl destination, and her best memory was when HDN came in the room saying we get to go Cotton picking again.

Then he was just like many Hog fans, because they love any game the Hogs play in Dallas because of proximity and how much they enjoy going to Dallas. If the football team is not going to win the SECCG and make the CFB Playoff, I would estimate 95% of Hog fans would be happy if they went to the Cotton Bowl every year. It is the same mind set that make people think the A&M game being in Arlington every year is a good thing. IT is good FOR THE FANS because they like going to Dallas.

hogcards

• The Glimmer Twins
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2018, 08:48:23 am »

+1000

Kinda cool.

hogcards

• The Glimmer Twins
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2018, 08:49:19 am »

Then he was just like many Hog fans, because they love any game the Hogs play in Dallas because of proximity and how much they enjoy going to Dallas. If the football team is not going to win the SECCG and make the CFB Playoff, I would estimate 95% of Hog fans would be happy if they went to the Cotton Bowl every year. It is the same mind set that make people think the A&M game being in Arlington every year is a good thing. IT is good FOR THE FANS because they like going to Dallas.

We need to end that Texas A & M-Cotton Bowl match-up ASAP.  Like today.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2018, 09:06:19 am »

As far as the OP, if the Cotton Bowl wants to induct him into the Cotton Bowl HOF, that is their business. I find it funny that such a thing exists.

Busta_Nutt

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2018, 09:33:12 am »

You had no problem with the infinite times he called a HB Dive on 3rd & 8? Malzahn was well on his way to making Arkansas an elite team until HDN decided he needed the credit, so he pushed Malzahn down the trash chute.

LAHogfan123

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2018, 09:43:34 am »

In 10 seasons as Arkansas head coach (1998-2007), Nutt compiled a 75-48 record becoming the third coach in program history to lead the Razorbacks to a bowl game in each of his first six seasons. He led Arkansas to three SEC Western Division titles (1998, 2002, 2006), eight bowl games, three final top 25 national rankings and four nine-win seasons.

If he just had his ego under control and a better work ethic Nutt could have done some great things at Arkansas. Love him or hate him, he won a lot of games.

He was a cancer to the program, the State, and should leave a bad taste in every Razorback fans mouth after the stunt he pulled when he left the hill.  But there are a lot of people that still think he's a fine Christian man, a great coach, and they would welcome him back with open arms.  If I had my way, I would love to tar and feather the man, and get the past players he hurt to give him a ride out of the State on a rail.  Nutt had the benefit of some of the best players to donn the Razorback uniform in history as players and didn't win anything of importance, his bowl game record was laughable, he was known to give little emphasis on preparing for them.   

LAHogfan123

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2018, 09:46:08 am »

Speak the truth Brother!

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2018, 09:53:29 am »

You had no problem with the infinite times he called a HB Dive on 3rd & 8? Malzahn was well on his way to making Arkansas an elite team until HDN decided he needed the credit, so he pushed Malzahn down the trash chute.

Malzahn wasn't exactly squeaky clean either so let's not get carried away.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2018, 09:56:11 am »

I 100% agree with the line in bold. If Nutt was going to fail, he should have been allowed to do so with the assistants HE wanted.

Busta_Nutt

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2018, 10:19:04 am »

I 100% agree with the line in bold. If Nutt was going to fail, he should have been allowed to do so with the assistants HE wanted.

Of course you do. The fact that he didn't want Malzahn should tell you everything you need to know, Guv.

DLUXHOG

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • It'll feel better when it quits hurtin'
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2018, 10:24:05 am »

Extradite Nutt to Iran...

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2018, 10:26:39 am »

Of course you do. The fact that he didn't want Malzahn should tell you everything you need to know, Guv.

Yes it does. No head coach likes being told who to hire as an assistant coach. The head coach is hired to run the football program and Nutt should have been allowed to hire whoever he wanted as assistants. If he fails as HC, so be it. Let him go and hire another one. Chances are, if Houston hadn't been forced to hire Gus, he would have been shown the door a year earlier.

Busta_Nutt

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2018, 10:48:20 am »

Yes it does. No head coach likes being told who to hire as an assistant coach. The head coach is hired to run the football program and Nutt should have been allowed to hire whoever he wanted as assistants. If he fails as HC, so be it. Let him go and hire another one. Chances are, if Houston hadn't been forced to hire Gus, he would have been shown the door a year earlier.

Yes, we're on the same page. Apologies.

HogPharmer

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2018, 10:50:34 am »

Extradite Nutt to Iran...

We can't do that to Iran. That's been banned by the Geneva Convention.

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2018, 09:15:58 pm »

Nutt won enough to get this Honor!

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2018, 09:20:09 pm »

What a difference the decisions you make as a young person can make in your life.

Had he taken the scholarship to bama (purportedly The Bear was a family friend) instead of the UofA he likely still wouldn't have been the starter but had he stuck there he'd have been in their family tree.  This would have given him a shot at their HC spot and I think with his style of play and the players available there he would have won several championships.

Heck, with the guidance of their GOBN he might still be there.  Then saban would still be at lsu and thus beatable given their penchant for corndogery.  ;)

Meth is bad for you.............

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2018, 09:31:05 pm »

He was a cancer to the program, the State, and should leave a bad taste in every Razorback fans mouth after the stunt he pulled when he left the hill.  But there are a lot of people that still think he's a fine Christian man, a great coach, and they would welcome him back with open arms.  If I had my way, I would love to tar and feather the man, and get the past players he hurt to give him a ride out of the State on a rail.  Nutt had the benefit of some of the best players to donn the Razorback uniform in history as players and didn't win anything of importance, his bowl game record was laughable, he was known to give little emphasis on preparing for them.   

He pulled a stunt leaving the hill twice. Interestingly both times Frank leaving his job had an influence on those stunts happening.

riccoar

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Serving Hogville since 11-08-03
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2018, 12:52:54 am »

Well, he was never FORCED to do anything.  He was simply given an option to choose.  Hire an OC and keep your job OR refuse and get canned.

One not need be a rocket scientist to figure out which person was the better OC between TCTWF and Gus.  It wasn't Gus that hindered Arkansas, but Nutt's constant meddling to disallow anyone else having one second of the spotlight.

Furthermore, he can keep his sorry arse in Texas for life as far as I'm concerned.  Don't need that Okie Lite alumnus anywhere near Fayetteville.  The love loss is mutual you see.  I choose to remember him attempting to burn this place to the ground on his way out to Oxford.

Remember this, folks who love something will never try and crap on it or burn it down.  Houston and his little mafia tried their damnedest. 

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2018, 07:29:35 am »

Well, he was never FORCED to do anything.  He was simply given an option to choose.  Hire an OC and keep your job OR refuse and get canned.

One not need be a rocket scientist to figure out which person was the better OC between TCTWF and Gus.  It wasn't Gus that hindered Arkansas, but Nutt's constant meddling to disallow anyone else having one second of the spotlight.

Furthermore, he can keep his sorry arse in Texas for life as far as I'm concerned.  Don't need that Okie Lite alumnus anywhere near Fayetteville.  The love loss is mutual you see.  I choose to remember him attempting to burn this place to the ground on his way out to Oxford.

Remember this, folks who love something will never try and crap on it or burn it down.  Houston and his little mafia tried their damnedest. 

No, he was forced to hire Gus. If he had refused to hire Gus and the Springdale players went elsewhere, Nutt wouldn't have made it to the first game of the 2006 season. Too many people in high places wanted him gone.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2018, 07:31:47 am »

Yes, we're on the same page. Apologies.

No apologies needed. For a long time, I was blind to the truth about Nutt but thanks to some help from some good Hogvillians, I finally saw the truth.

Mike_e

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2018, 08:21:51 am »

lol  Probably, I wouldn't know.

You have to remember that 16-18 years ago running the option was still acceptable in college football and seemed to be Nutt's favorite offense.  Add to that bama's ability to get the players to have run that offense and run it very well.

Had Nutt been through the bama program, without any screw ups and with  his used car salesman talent, he might as easily have been their coach as Shula. 

Yes Shula had his dad but Nutt had the family ties to the Bear so there was at least a chance.

Now with the players to be a contender and bama's GOBN to keep him in line -and believe me around 2000 P'B'B's son was neck deep in their GOBN and would have run him like a superspy runs a mole- he could have easily lasted as long there as here.  (too long but anyway)  Also remember that any offense will work if you have the players to run it and not make mistakes.  If you score every time you have the football you are going to win an awful lot of games.  Heck you don't even have to score every time you have the ball  just more often than the other team even if it takes you 29 minutes a drive.  (touchdowns to touchdowns of course)

So, anyway, had he made a different decision coming out of high school the narrative of his life might be a great deal different.

Oh, meth may be bad for you but enough time will surely kill you.  ;)

jmark

• Hogvillian
  • "can i have my old job back?" "No!"
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2018, 08:26:34 am »

Speak the truth Brother!

we don't need to end the jerry world bowl with aTm.  we just need to beat aTm.

Mike Irwin

« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2018, 09:51:56 am »

Malzahn wasn't exactly squeaky clean either so let's not get carried away.
No he was not. Gus Malzhan will bottom line anybody to advance himself. He's very good at it. A lot better at it than Houston Nutt who was clumsy from a PR standpoint compared to Gus. He knows how to get others to do his dirty work so that he is untouched.

Hollywood_HOGan45

• Hollywood could coach better than nutt.
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2018, 10:24:09 am »

As far as the OP, if the Cotton Bowl wants to induct him into the Cotton Bowl HOF, that is their business. I find it funny that such a thing exists.

Yea, screw them for trying to honor a legendary game with such incredibly legendary players such as Joe, Bo, Doak etc etc.
I find it funny too that such a thing exists.

Only thing funny about it is placing Nutt in that same company.

DLUXHOG

« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2018, 11:01:59 am »

we don't need to end the jerry world bowl with aTm.  we just need to beat aTm.

That’ll end it for sure...  you do realize, that the 3 games we played A&M in Jerry World prior to A&M joining the SEC that the Hogs won all 3 games.... and the A&M fan world wanted to end it immediately as they were making claims that it was more, or less, a home game for the Hogs....

jmark

• Hogvillian
  • "can i have my old job back?" "No!"
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2018, 12:56:03 pm »

That’ll end it for sure...  you do realize, that the 3 games we played A&M in Jerry World prior to A&M joining the SEC that the Hogs won all 3 games.... and the A&M fan world wanted to end it immediately as they were making claims that it was more, or less, a home game for the Hogs....

yes.  i remember.  we still need to beat aTm at jerry world.  if the aggs are gonna be crybabies, then switch the game to the shorthorns, at jerry world.

Mike_e

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2018, 05:58:11 pm »

So Mike, do the horns want an SEC tie in (iow a regular season series with an SEC team) bad enough to schedule us?  Along with sticking it in a&m's eye.

I'm sure that they see the attraction that the SEC has to recruits and a regular yearly game might just give them what they'd like without having to join the conference.

We would likely benefit as much playing them in texas recruits eyes so it would seem -at least to me- that it would be a win/win.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2018, 10:37:58 am »

No he was not. Gus Malzhan will bottom line anybody to advance himself. He's very good at it. A lot better at it than Houston Nutt who was clumsy from a PR standpoint compared to Gus. He knows how to get others to do his dirty work so that he is untouched.

Thanks Mike.

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2018, 10:48:18 am »

We can't do that to Iran. That's been banned by the Geneva Convention.

Ha!

KateHog

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2018, 04:44:45 pm »

I can't stand Nutt Haters.

McKdaddy

« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2018, 10:15:35 pm »

I can’t stand Nutt Huggers.

McKdaddy

« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2018, 10:16:29 pm »

Agreed

hog.goblin

• It's not revenge he's after. It's a reckoning.
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2018, 12:13:39 am »

Nutt won enough to get this Honor!

as an Ole Miss Rebel

870rzrback

• Band Nerd
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2018, 05:41:47 am »

2.  His 8-0 start was with Danny Ford's players.

The same players Danny Ford only won 4 games with in years 4 and 5... dont see your point here

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2018, 06:38:50 am »

The same players Danny Ford only won 4 games with in years 4 and 5... dont see your point here

Yep, the program was in total disarray with some assistant coaches threatening to leave and some players threatening to transfer if Ford was given another year. Hiring Ford was a colossal mistake.

DLUXHOG

« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2018, 08:35:18 am »

And Lou Holtz went 11-1 with the same players that JFB used and went 5-5-1 with the year before and........arguably won the second NC in Arkansas football

In his 7 years as HC, Holtz never had a losing season....

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2018, 12:05:50 pm »

And Lou Holtz went 11-1 with the same players that JFB used and went 5-5-1 with the year before and........arguably won the second NC in Arkansas football

In his 7 years as HC, Holtz never had a losing season....

That's true. Lou was good at winning big with the previous coaches players but once Frank's players left the Program, it declined.

KateHog

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2018, 12:12:54 pm »

I can’t stand Nutt Huggers.

Good, can't stand you!

Cinco de Hogo

« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2018, 12:41:37 pm »

First of let me get this bad taste out of my mouth,

🤮🤮🤮

Now, the optimal thing that should have happened in the Broyles-Nutt-Malzahn fiasco was for Broyles to retire, Nutt replace him and Malzahn replace Nutt. 

What a disasteous cult of personalities!  Ifs and butts are bouncing around like ping pong balls off woulda, coulda, shoulda’s!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 07:32:55 pm by Cinco de Hogo »

McKdaddy

« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2018, 03:16:18 pm »

Busta_Nutt

« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2018, 03:28:34 pm »

Well sex is bad for a sex addict, so let's take it with a grain of salt, Inhogs...

hawganatic

• Senior
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2018, 04:40:04 pm »

Well the ego and calling plays kinda go together.  If he had checked his ego and brought in an offensive coordinator in the early 2000's, when he knew what he was doing was flat and one-dimensional, he might still be here...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas