• 394,678 Topics
• 22,261 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Last Year's O-Line  (Read 2771 times)

mhsbc59

• All-American Hogvillian
  • "Cause thats how I Role"
Re: Last Year's O-Line
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2018, 10:22:13 pm »

Were Ragnow and Froholdt even tried at tackle? Considering that they were considered our to best olinemen last year and that the O-Line was as bad as it was they should have at least been put there in practice to see how they would do.

Intera OLine play is way different then playing tackle.  Playing tackle is almost like playing a different game than everybody else

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2018, 10:25:50 am »

If I'm not mistaken, Ragnow was put at LT one game last year and Rogers at C and we dominated the Oline only to see it revert back to the usual after that. 

Ragnow could have been as good at center as all 5 positions I think. 

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

mhsbc59

« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2018, 10:31:03 am »

If I'm not mistaken, Ragnow was put at LT one game last year and Rogers at C and we dominated the Oline only to see it revert back to the usual after that. 

yes but he is a top 20 pick in all of the NFL.  not the norm for OL

Nor will he ever play Tackle in the NFL but yes he could have been good at it in college.   And it would have help Arkansas out but if he had played tackle while her he would not be a top 20 draft pick.  Coach's put the kids best interest in front of the teams which is better in the long run for your program

Cinco de Hogo

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2018, 11:18:08 am »

yes but he is a top 20 pick in all of the NFL.  not the norm for OL

Nor will he ever play Tackle in the NFL but yes he could have been good at it in college.   And it would have help Arkansas out but if he had played tackle while her he would not be a top 20 draft pick.  Coach's put the kids best interest in front of the teams which is better in the long run for your program

Normally whatís good for the program is whatís good for the program in the long run.  Players with talent go pro and itís not like players donít get moved around in the pros.
Our O-line was in shambles, the coach got fired, I donít think it worked out very well for Arkansas unless you consider that in the long run we have a better coach.  The coaches exchanged having a power side for having no power at all.

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2018, 11:38:06 am »

Ha someone is going to ask you for a link, just as well be me in a friendly way.

Good stuff here

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem
« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2018, 11:07:34 pm »

He was the best center in the country. If would have also been the best LT in the entire country, he would have been playing there, or moreover, NFL scouts would be talking about him as a tackle and he probably would have been drafted even higher.

He's an interior lineman through and through. Could he have been serviceable at LT? Sure. IMO, he'd have been better than Kirkland or Skipper were there, but they were both below average LT's so that's not saying a lot.

Given the choice b/w having the best C in the country vs an average to perhaps slightly above average LT, you are not utilizing your resources as best you could with Ragnow at tackle. Unless your next best option for LT is just god awful or you have an all conference level backup center who can't get onto the field unless Ragnow moves.

Al Boarland

« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2018, 12:11:39 am »

Guys, is it just a little possible that the WHOLE TEAM took on the same passive attitude as the HC? I honestly believe that Smith was a pretty good DC and so was Rhoades, but both were hamstrung by the HC. He feared giving up the big play to the point of constantly giving up the big play. Our defense played so passively that they hesitated rather than attacked.

Is it just a little more than possible that the offensive players took on some of those same traits? Good players put in bad positions will become bad players pretty quickly. Our hope has to be that those same "good" players put in better positions respond at a much better pace.

It's the only possibility if you hope for a decent season in '18. Otherwise you are left with lack of talent and it's hard to find wins if it's a talent issue.

mhsbc59

« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2018, 07:12:07 am »

Normally whatís good for the program is whatís good for the program in the long run.  Players with talent go pro and itís not like players donít get moved around in the pros.
Our O-line was in shambles, the coach got fired, I donít think it worked out very well for Arkansas unless you consider that in the long run we have a better coach.  The coaches exchanged having a power side for having no power at all.

My bad you know the most of anyone ever you are right anything that is not your narrative is wrong my bad.  Guess i should not have answer the question as to why Ragnow didn't play LT

longtimeHogfan

« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2018, 07:44:39 am »

i blame the O-Line Coach. Seriously.

Ditto.  Six games into the season and we still hadn't found the right chemistry along the line.  That should have been determined in the summer or at the latest after fall practice.  I understand injuries and the need to sometimes plug in new personnel, but we were wholesaling entire left and right sides and not because of fatigue. 

Offensive line coach hire was a serious mistake.

Cinco de Hogo

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2018, 11:56:22 am »

My bad you know the most of anyone ever you are right anything that is not your narrative is wrong my bad.  Guess i should not have answer the question as to why Ragnow didn't play LT

Now you know how the message board thingy works, Cinco is always right.

Jkjk

Carry on with your opinions.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas