• 9,924,431 Posts
• 399,198 Topics
• 22,882 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Last Year's O-Line  (Read 3008 times)

razorbackfaninar

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Last Year's O-Line
« on: May 09, 2018, 12:54:20 pm »

I heard yesterday that Froholdt gave up only 2 sacks all year and of course Ragnow I think it was reported gave up no sacks last year. Ragnow was drafted first round this year, and Froholdt will be drafted likely second or third round next year.  I still have trouble understanding how our offensive line could be so bad with these two players anchoring it. I know Ragnow got hurt, but even when he was playing before the injury the line was porous at best. Were the other three linemen just that bad?  I'm no expert but just from the eyeball test that was a really bad o-line.   

mhsbc59

• All-American Hogvillian
  • "Cause thats how I Role"
Re: Last Year's O-Line
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 01:30:11 pm »

if you have bad tackles you have a bad line

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

razorbackfaninar

• Senior
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 01:56:20 pm »

if you have bad tackles you have a bad line

I guess that must be it.

Malvin

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 02:00:08 pm »

Giving up zero sacks as a stat is less impressive when other lineman can't pass block for .0002 seconds, they are the ones giving up the sacks.  :P

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 02:08:38 pm »

i blame the O-Line Coach. Seriously.

hawginbigd1

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 02:13:43 pm »

I heard yesterday that Froholdt gave up only 2 sacks all year and of course Ragnow I think it was reported gave up no sacks last year. Ragnow was drafted first round this year, and Froholdt will be drafted likely second or third round next year.  I still have trouble understanding how our offensive line could be so bad with these two players anchoring it. I know Ragnow got hurt, but even when he was playing before the injury the line was porous at best. Were the other three linemen just that bad?  I'm no expert but just from the eyeball test that was a really bad o-line.
It wasn't as bad as people believe, QB play was below average to horrible most of the year. It's not really popular but most all problems with the OL on the field began and ended at RG.

razorbackfaninar

• Senior
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2018, 02:16:47 pm »

It wasn't as bad as people believe, QB play was below average to horrible most of the year. It's not really popular but most all problems with the OL on the field began and ended at RG.

Do you think the issues with the o-line were exacerbated by the receivers not being able to get separation which led to Allen not getting rid of the ball fast enough and the line having to maintain protection for too long? The running game seemed to be a little stymied as well.

hawginbigd1

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2018, 02:26:54 pm »

Do you think the issues with the o-line were exacerbated by the receivers not being able to get separation which led to Allen not getting rid of the ball fast enough and the line having to maintain protection for too long? The running game seemed to be a little stymied as well.
That is certainly part of it, and find more than 3-4 plays the entire season a QB threw a receiver open or a back shoulder throw or a contested throw like every good offense in the country. You might find a few but not many. Running game actually was quite average, but it becomes tougher without at least average passing game.

SooieGeneris

• Senior
  • You don't ever want to be chasin' speed..
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2018, 02:30:27 pm »

This. At least at the start of the season. By the time receivers started getting more separation, AA was beaten to a pulp, partly due to his own tendency to hold the ball too long. Too complicated for many fans I guess..

Sed76

• Hogvillian
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2018, 02:39:52 pm »

Sticking with Kurt Anderson was the final nail in Bert's coffin. It was obvious to everyone but the fat man himself that it was a terrible hire after the 2016 season.

AugustaHog

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2018, 02:46:32 pm »

This. At least at the start of the season. By the time receivers started getting more separation, AA was beaten to a pulp, partly due to his own tendency to hold the ball too long. Too complicated for many fans I guess..
No doubt.  Our OL was pretty terrible by any standard, but Allen caused some of the beatings he took by holding the ball forever.  You saw this in 2016 as well, but it was worse in '17 because he didn't have Keon and Morgan there getting open for him.  It was really a breakdown of all facets of the offense.  Poor QB play, poor Ol play, poor WR play, etc.  They all affect each other and it's magnified when none of those units are very good. 

Hog Fan...DOH!

• Your site for Razorback news.
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2018, 03:00:26 pm »

Why didn't Rogers play earlier?  Would a lineup with Rogers at C, and Ragnow at G, really have been worse than Ragnow at C, and a 270lb freshman at RG?   

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Trust in the Lord with all your heart
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2018, 04:25:49 pm »

the man still does not have a job

ballz2thewall

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2018, 04:32:24 pm »

everything wrong with our team was because of two words:

bret bielema.

leadership and management trickles down. no matter the quality of the colonels, if the general is a dud it is infectious. 

HogBreath

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2018, 04:32:35 pm »

Why didn't Rogers play earlier?  Would a lineup with Rogers at C, and Ragnow at G, really have been worse than Ragnow at C, and a 270lb freshman at RG?   

Seemed like an obviously better idea..not sure what the previous staff was doing, maybe an axe to grind or something?  But not only did I not know what they were doing, neither did they.  Maybe try Ragnow at tackle too.

I watched Rogers a lot, when he finally got on the field, I thought he played really well.

I almost suspect CBB wanted to get let go.

Malvin

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2018, 05:05:07 pm »

everything wrong with our team was because of two words:

bret bielema.

leadership and management trickles down. no matter the quality of the colonels, if the general is a dud it is infectious.

I feel like I remember a number of games where I thought, get our QB out of the game.. it's a loss, he is getting destroyed.. get our backups in and hand off the ball... but not BB.  He kept him in, kept him throwing, and kept him getting destroyed over and over.  That's all on BB.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2018, 05:06:32 pm »

i blame the O-Line Coach. Seriously.

Don't get me started, although it's ultimately the HC's job to admit he made a mistake in hiring and axe the guy.  He had no problem firing Markuson 2 games into his first season at Wisconsin. 

rhames

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2018, 05:17:45 pm »

Don't get me started, although it's ultimately the HC's job to admit he made a mistake in hiring and axe the guy.  He had no problem firing Markuson 2 games into his first season at Wisconsin. 

Maybe that wasnt bret's decision

Cough Barry cough

hawgfan4life

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2018, 06:02:40 pm »

QB play was subpar because they were beaten into subpar play.  Stats are only as accurate as the person making the decision on whether the sack was a certain player’s fault.  Fro might have blocked well on pass plays mostly and I know he blocked well on run plays mostly, but he blocks the wrong guy too often or doesn’t pick up the stem or blitz.  He gave up playside gap too many times to count the last two seasons and in every game.  That was coaching.

AlmaHog2011

• Hogvillian
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2018, 06:39:17 pm »

Anderson and Bielema are to blame for a lot of the total lack of knowing what to do. Frohildt might be a great player this year and I hope he is. To say he gave up only two sacks is a bit confusing. Are they not counting the times where he is looking somewhere and the linebacker ran right by him and sacked the QB while he was blocking no one? Cause that happened a lot and not just twice.

PorkSoda

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2018, 06:49:24 pm »

Anderson and Bielema are to blame for a lot of the total lack of knowing what to do. Frohildt might be a great player this year and I hope he is. To say he gave up only two sacks is a bit confusing. Are they not counting the times where he is looking somewhere and the linebacker ran right by him and sacked the QB while he was blocking no one? Cause that happened a lot and not just twice.

if they tackle the RB in the back field, its not counted as a sack.  nor is it counted if the QB throws the ball away in time.

would be interesting to see how many TFL  he gave up and how many QB hurries he gave up to round out his stats.

that said, he was better last year than the two previous years.  without going back and watching game tape, its hard to say how much happened early in his career that is still haunting him when it comes to fan perception.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2018, 07:31:03 pm »

if they tackle the RB in the back field, its not counted as a sack.  nor is it counted if the QB throws the ball away in time.

would be interesting to see how many TFL  he gave up and how many QB hurries he gave up to round out his stats.

that said, he was better last year than the two previous years.  without going back and watching game tape, its hard to say how much happened early in his career that is still haunting him when it comes to fan perception.
He played defense his first year, where he belonged, IMO.

Al Boarland

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2018, 07:41:54 pm »

Played from behind most of the year which resulted in a lot of passing situations. Not easy for the line when the D has a good idea you're going to pass it.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2018, 07:56:48 pm »

The truth of the matter is that if the blocking scheme called for a RB to pick up the LB or a FB or even a TE and they didn't, even though the LB might have come close to Froholdt or the other OG, it might have appeared that they missed their assignments. Additionally, once a player gets tagged with that label of "that guy ran by him while he was looking a different direction", the frequency with which fans say that it actually occurred tends to multiply exponentially, simply due to fan perception.

NFL Scouts are judged by the quality of their evaluations and how many "hits" they have compared to their "misses". All of the Scouts have looked at hours of film on Froholdt and don't think that they aren't aware of what is alleged about him, yet they grade him out very high. There has to be a reason for the people who have no vested interest in his success other than the quality and accuracy of their evaluations for the teams that they work for, to grade him out so highly. They get paid to do this. We just do this for something to talk about.

AlmaHog2011

• Hogvillian
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2018, 08:47:47 pm »

The truth of the matter is that if the blocking scheme called for a RB to pick up the LB or a FB or even a TE and they didn't, even though the LB might have come close to Froholdt or the other OG, it might have appeared that they missed their assignments. Additionally, once a player gets tagged with that label of "that guy ran by him while he was looking a different direction", the frequency with which fans say that it actually occurred tends to multiply exponentially, simply due to fan perception.

NFL Scouts are judged by the quality of their evaluations and how many "hits" they have compared to their "misses". All of the Scouts have looked at hours of film on Froholdt and don't think that they aren't aware of what is alleged about him, yet they grade him out very high. There has to be a reason for the people who have no vested interest in his success other than the quality and accuracy of their evaluations for the teams that they work for, to grade him out so highly. They get paid to do this. We just do this for something to talk about.

Sure mister know it all. He's sitting there with nobody in the picture and the linebacker runs and sacks or hits the QB I don't get paid but I do have a little common sense and I watch as much probably more football than you do.

You crack me up with your overwhelming knowledge. NFL won't draft him unless he does a lot more than what he has done. Please show me a link where the NFL scouts say that he didn't miss blocks or not block anybody on plays and just sat there and allowed the linebackers to kill the QB.

Thanks for your opinion means about as much as it ever did to me.

lakecityhog

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2018, 09:10:18 pm »

Guys, is it just a little possible that the WHOLE TEAM took on the same passive attitude as the HC? I honestly believe that Smith was a pretty good DC and so was Rhoades, but both were hamstrung by the HC. He feared giving up the big play to the point of constantly giving up the big play. Our defense played so passively that they hesitated rather than attacked.

Is it just a little more than possible that the offensive players took on some of those same traits? Good players put in bad positions will become bad players pretty quickly. Our hope has to be that those same "good" players put in better positions respond at a much better pace.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2018, 09:14:04 pm »

Sure mister know it all. He's sitting there with nobody in the picture and the linebacker runs and sacks or hits the QB I don't get paid but I do have a little common sense and I watch as much probably more football than you do.

You crack me up with your overwhelming knowledge. NFL won't draft him unless he does a lot more than what he has done. Please show me a link where the NFL scouts say that he didn't miss blocks or not block anybody on plays and just sat there and allowed the linebackers to kill the QB.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000931599/article/top-150-college-football-players-to-watch-in-2018-nos-150

Hjalte Froholdt - OG
School: Arkansas | Year: Senior

Scouts are going to like what they see from Froholdt when they turn on his tape. He's mobile, strong and tough, not unlike former teammate and 2018 first-round pick Frank Ragnow. He'll likely be the top interior O-line prospect in the 2019 class.

By Chad Reuter
Draft analyst

http://www.draftblaster.com/2019-nfl-draft/hjalte-froholdt-og-arkansas/

School: Arkansas Position: Offensive Guard Class: Senior Height: 6-5 Weight: 315 lbs Projected Draft Round: 1-2

Scouting Report:
Moves well in limited space, and is able to quickly set his feet in ideal position to anchor. Balanced guard prospect that pass protects and run blocks very well. Played with an exceptional center the previous year, so has time to prove his own ability.

Your turn.

Show me the tape of all the times he gave up a sack in the 2017 season.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2018, 09:18:38 pm »

Guys, is it just a little possible that the WHOLE TEAM took on the same passive attitude as the HC? I honestly believe that Smith was a pretty good DC and so was Rhoades, but both were hamstrung by the HC. He feared giving up the big play to the point of constantly giving up the big play. Our defense played so passively that they hesitated rather than attacked.

Is it just a little more than possible that the offensive players took on some of those same traits? Good players put in bad positions will become bad players pretty quickly. Our hope has to be that those same "good" players put in better positions respond at a much better pace.

It's definitely a little more than possible.

sowmonella

• You know I'm right.
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2018, 09:58:10 pm »

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000931599/article/top-150-college-football-players-to-watch-in-2018-nos-150

Hjalte Froholdt - OG

Scouts are going to like what they see from Froholdt when they turn on his tape. He's mobile, strong and tough, not unlike former teammate and 2018 first-round pick Frank Ragnow. He'll likely be the top interior O-line prospect in the 2019 class.

By Chad Reuter
Draft analyst

School: Arkansas Position: Offensive Guard Class: Senior Height: 6-5 Weight: 315 lbs Projected Draft Round: 1-2

Scouting Report:
Moves well in limited space, and is able to quickly set his feet in ideal position to anchor. Balanced guard prospect that pass protects and run blocks very well. Played with an exceptional center the previous year, so has time to prove his own ability.

Your turn.

There you go using factual information again. Thanks Benny.

Hawgphat

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2018, 10:10:03 pm »

I'm admittedly unqualified to assign blame for player personnel deficiencies in performance;  however, the recurring thought repetitively came to my mind - while watching the games last season - that our RBs were stymied at the line of scrimmage all to often, with no chance to get past the line of scrimmage and have an opportunity to build up any impetus for even a modest gain.

Additionally, I observed that opposing linemen were penetrating our line of scrimmage with apparent regularity, negating any possible chance of ground gains.

Now, - - I'm not an "Xs" and "Os" type of guy, and I can't definitively point out the primary source of that seeming underachievement; - - but it certainly APPEARED - from my easy chair perspective - to be a failing of the OL.

hoglady

« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2018, 10:27:33 pm »

I think they screwed up the Oline with the Clary experiment.
If they had gone with the original starting line and let those guys get used to playing as a unit - they probably would have performed better.

I always remember Michael Smith preaching on his radio show about having a cohesive line that plays together.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2018, 01:30:00 am »

If they had gone with the original starting line and let those guys get used to playing as a unit - they probably would have performed better.

I always remember Michael Smith preaching on his radio show about having a cohesive line that plays together.

I agree that it definitely ended up being a mistake, but I don't think that screwed up the OL. The biggest issue, IMO was that we could have had Pittman as OL coach and the top 5 OL players in the country last season and it wouldn't have made any difference. The body lost faith in the head at the end of the last season, and after the loss to a very beatable TCU, the head was effectively cut off.

Based on what Clary did do as a true freshmen, I'd be surprised if he doesn't end up a multi-year starter. There was sound logic in trying to get him out on the field as early as possible. Hope the baptism by fire helps accelerate his growth. Of course, as we saw, it didn't work out, and it did dampen the cohesion for the rest of the season. Very real chance that Froholdt wouldn't have developed as quickly has we hesitated playing him on the OL 2 years ago though.

Do you go with the pup that bites as a pup but makes mistakes because they are just a pup? Or do you play the wiser dog that doesn't have much bite in them, they just won't make as bad of mistakes either?

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2018, 05:25:36 am »

Don't take it personally. I was just pointing out that we don't know what each blocking scheme called for on each of those plays in terms of individual responsibilities. There's no doubt he probably blew some assignments. Every player does from time to time. And yes, apparently the NFL Scouts think quite a lot of him. Not my opinion, just stating a fact. There's certainly no reason to act like I insulted you.

Hollywood_HOGan45

• Hollywood could coach better than nutt.
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2018, 05:53:12 am »

the line gave up SIX sacks to atm. Knew that staff was finished after that game.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2018, 07:04:05 am »

the line gave up SIX sacks to atm. Knew that staff was finished after that game.

We didn't do a very good job of pass pro last year but even Alabama gave up 5 sacks vs. Miss State.

mhsbc59

« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2018, 07:12:55 am »

true he was markedly better last year and way better than the Texas kid who replaced him once hurt alot at the end of the previous year

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2018, 07:22:49 am »

Markuson's teams actually led the SEC in rushing for like 8 straight years, too. He must have criticized ole fatman and got the axe.

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2018, 07:26:31 am »

That is the moment when my hope faded- and when I was just DONE with BB. It should have been earlier, and I had been doubting him for awhile, but when they started a walk on true freshman over several 4* s.... I knew we were screwed. Clary aint Shawn Andrews.

Hoggiedawg

« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2018, 08:15:23 am »

No doubt.  Our OL was pretty terrible by any standard, but Allen caused some of the beatings he took by holding the ball forever.  You saw this in 2016 as well, but it was worse in '17 because he didn't have Keon and Morgan there getting open for him.  It was really a breakdown of all facets of the offense.  Poor QB play, poor Ol play, poor WR play, etc.  They all affect each other and it's magnified when none of those units are very good. 

So you're saying the coaching sucked?

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2018, 08:31:30 am »

Bottom line is this team quit between the Ears after the Auburn blow out.

urkillnmesmalls

• Experience: You get it just after you needed it!
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2018, 04:15:09 pm »

The line issues started before last year.  When BB started playing walk on Fr on the line, that was a HUGE show of desperation.  That should have never happened, and I'd go so far as to say only in RARE circumstances should a Fr. even play on the line in the SEC, much less a walk on. 

That showed that either they weren't able to identify talent during recruiting, and/or they weren't able to coach them well enough to get them on the field and to be a cohesive unit by their Jr. seasons. 

Losing key WR's hurt more than people realize, and not having Morgan or Henry as sure things...meant we were back to the first year of BA...no separation and familiarity.  The difference is...Austin didn't throw it into the 3rd row when the play didn't develop.  He held it...and got drilled.   :o 

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2018, 12:07:05 am »

The entire o line group was a mess.  Some Pittman guys that should have bee. Playing were not.  They didn’t cash in on the team, but they certainly weren’t fully involved and the way I hear it, it was more th coaching pushing them to side for the new coaches “guys”.  Pittman guys were skid to the back burner in hopes the new guy looking smarter than everyone.  Not just that failed the coaching was just not good in the room. 

That being said, the guys liked KA, they enjoyed being around him, not really hostile or anything. He was just more of a buddy instead of a coach.  Ragnow was it when it came
To leadership in there

AlmaHog2011

• Hogvillian
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2018, 11:11:41 am »

Hjalte Froholdt - OG

By Chad Reuter
Draft analyst

Scouting Report:

Your turn.

OK you win..I hope he is the player the scout is talking about. I am not interested in arguing a point that if you watched the games is obvious. Hope he becomes a first round draft pick. But the truth is I watch the games and have seen what I posted. Sorry your feelings got hurt. He missed way more than two blocks but OK you win. 

Rock City Razorback

« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2018, 11:36:31 am »

Agreed. I was really ticked when I was at the game and saw Clary trot out there. I knew we were in BIG trouble. Nothing against the kid, but he was thrown in the fire way too soon, wasn't prepared. No matter how well he took on the offense or how strong he was. I've said it over and over again, but guys like him are the ones that need to redshirt and start as 4th year Jrs, and needs to not be the only such one for a program like Arkansas to have success. CBB did that at Wisky, but never got it trending in the right direction here. Some high profile guys derailed bc of injury, early than expected departure, others not coming on fast enough, and never ever enough depth. Glad they're all gone. So refreshing to have new blood and a new attitude!

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2018, 11:55:43 am »

Sticking with Kurt Anderson was the final nail in Bert's coffin. It was obvious to everyone but the fat man himself that it was a terrible hire after the 2016 season.

To be honest what doomed Bret was his refusing to abandon his antiquated Big 10 offense and go to a form of the Spread Offense when Enos was hired. After Bret was terminated, he finally admitted that he was wrong about the spread.

Cinco de Hogo

« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2018, 12:11:20 pm »

To be honest what doomed Bret was his refusing to abandon his antiquated Big 10 offense and go to a form of the Spread Offense when Enos was hired. After Bret was terminated, he finally admitted that he was wrong about the spread.

Ha someone is going to ask you for a link, just as well be me in a friendly way.

mhsbc59

« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2018, 12:31:40 pm »

OK you win..I hope he is the player the scout is talking about. I am not interested in arguing a point that if you watched the games is obvious. Hope he becomes a first round draft pick. But the truth is I watch the games and have seen what I posted. Sorry your feelings got hurt. He missed way more than two blocks but OK you win. 

Its obvious that you pick and choice what to watch..  Early on his mistakes where bad and very obvious but last year he was a stud.  first impressions are tuff to forget and impossible it seems for you.   and if you want to meet up at the Alma sonic ill be there some day soon.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2018, 12:46:56 pm »

Ha someone is going to ask you for a link, just as well be me in a friendly way.

It was on an interview with ESPN after his termination. It doesn't really matter anyway because he's gone and Chad Morris is in charge.

rhames

« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2018, 01:15:59 pm »

It was on an interview with ESPN after his termination. It doesn't really matter anyway because he's gone and Chad Morris is in charge.

I think we can take that advice for a few people who arent employed at the UofA any longer

Tigaman

« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2018, 10:11:17 pm »

Were Ragnow and Froholdt even tried at tackle? Considering that they were considered our to best olinemen last year and that the O-Line was as bad as it was they should have at least been put there in practice to see how they would do.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas