• 396,453 Topics
• 22,589 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Would you rather...  (Read 2167 times)

masbas3

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: Would you rather...
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2018, 04:05:58 pm »

Will do as much good as those 42 track and field championships, I guess.

Well, the thing about those track and field championships?  They keep accumulating.

Wildhog

« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2018, 04:09:33 pm »

Well, the thing about those track and field championships?  They keep accumulating.

Success breeds more success, true.  I'd rather have it in basketball than baseball.  A poll should really be added to this thread.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
  • The Plaque for Alternates is in the Ladies room.
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2018, 04:15:26 pm »

Think about this: what do people talk about more concerning South Carolina.....their CWS Titles or their one Final Four a couple years ago?

Now imagine making 5 Final Fours in a row. You are now a national brand with a packed 20,000 seat arena, Top recruiting classes, and national exposure as a top basketball program.

We may love baseball here, but success in college baseball on a national level is just a step above track and field success. Everyone in the country will talk about Arkansas in their bracket for 5 years straight.

So basically, the question is would you rather over the next 5 years have greater than Nolan Richardson level of success, or win 5 straight CWS Titles? I'd take the basketball everyday.

Wildhog

« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2018, 04:16:13 pm »

Think about this: what do people talk about more concerning South Carolina.....their CWS Titles or their one Final Four a couple years ago?

Now imagine making 5 Final Fours in a row. You are now a national brand with a packed 20,000 seat arena, Top recruiting classes, and national exposure as a top basketball program.

This.  All of this.

Birminghog

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Ludwig calls the Hogs at Hogville.net
« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2018, 04:38:14 pm »

5 CWS titles. Titles > 1 of 4. Nothing in the original question was said about anything being in a row.

Oliver

« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2018, 04:39:24 pm »

Gomer and the boys had a couple of 'would you rather?' questions today on The Morning Rush. Let's dive in.

Would you rather rehire Bielema or Pelphrey?

Would you rather go to 5 Final Fours or win 5 College World Series titles?

Pelphrey.

5 College World Series.  I understand people saying Final Fours but I like Hog Baseball more than most and I'd rather have 5 titles than 5 almost titles.

HogPharmer

« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2018, 04:46:31 pm »

What the heck was he suppose to think and say..............

Instead of saying we were so close, he should have just thrown a bunch of players under the bus in the post-game pressers....

Wait........

oldhawg

« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2018, 05:02:00 pm »

Will do as much good as those 42 track and field championships, I guess.

Perhaps not as strong, But Arkansas has continued to have a Top Ten track & field program since John McDonnell.

Wildhog

« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2018, 06:03:25 pm »

Perhaps not as strong, But Arkansas has continued to have a Top Ten track & field program since John McDonnell.

And I'd trade all 42 for an elite basketball program.

masbas3

• Varsity
« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2018, 06:10:40 pm »

We may love baseball here, but success in college baseball on a national level is just a step above track and field success. Everyone in the country will talk about Arkansas in their bracket for 5 years straight.

So basically, the question is would you rather over the next 5 years have greater than Nolan Richardson level of success, or win 5 straight CWS Titles? I'd take the basketball everyday.

Tell me this "Iceman", who were the 4 teams in last year's final 4, and the year before that without looking it up?  I bet 90% of College Basketball fans couldn't even tell you.  Now, I barely even remember South Carolina going to the final 4.  But I know of their baseball pedigree and I hate baseball.

oldhawg

« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2018, 06:28:15 pm »

And I'd trade all 42 for an elite basketball program.

Difference of opinion.

But yes, for 42 national championships in basketball, my opinion might be swayed.  :)

Wildhog

« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2018, 06:40:03 pm »

Difference of opinion.

But yes, for 42 national championships in basketball, my opinion might be swayed.  :)

Hell, I'd trade all 42 for a perennial top 25 football team.

thebignasty

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • I find your lack of faith... disturbing.
« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2018, 06:41:40 pm »

Pel

I care more about baseball more than basketball, so give me the 5 CWS wins.

Nashville Fan

• Welcome to next year!
« Reply #63 on: May 08, 2018, 07:10:54 pm »

I think if you hired Coach P and he took AR to 4 final 4s that would be a home run.:)

(notOM)Rebel123

« Reply #64 on: May 08, 2018, 07:41:15 pm »

Heck, I think we hear more about Will Muschamp or Steve Spurrier at USCe....can’t recall hearing much at all about their Final Four trip after the shine wore off.
Note: see reply #59

(notOM)Rebel123

« Reply #65 on: May 08, 2018, 07:43:24 pm »

Hell, I'd trade all 42 for a perennial top 25 football team.

Tell that to those guys who worked their arses off for those 42...

longtimeHogfan

« Reply #66 on: May 08, 2018, 08:03:59 pm »

To the first question, I would rather just die and get it over with.

Same here for me regarding Bret or Hootie.  BB had worn out his welcome and wasn't getting it done in the SEC. 

Hootie, on the other hand, I despised with every fiber of my being.   Just take me home Lord. 

HogBreath

« Reply #67 on: May 08, 2018, 08:12:40 pm »

Agree. I absolutely couldn't with Bret. It would've killed me.

But hell, Mike's only made the tournament 3/7 years. Pel was 1/4. Give the man three more full seasons and he might've (yay, hypotheticals!) matched that.

But yeah. Bielema was killing me slowly.
That's kinda where I was was with Bert too, but sheeze, poor ole Pel really struggled too.  But like you say, Mike hasn't really burned it up either.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2018, 08:10:06 am »

Coaches and Programs in basketball are national brands. Wichita State, Butler, VCU....all known for making the Final 4 in the last 10 years.

IF you do that 5 times in a row...you are Elite. Nolan made 3 in 5 years....imagine making 5 in 5.

In essence, we are asking would you rather be an Elite basketball or and Elite baseball program. I'd choose basketball everytime without question. I'd rather national media between November and March talk about the top basketball programs being: Duke, Kansas, UNC, Kentucky, and Arkansas.....than college 5 time CWS champion.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 08:33:55 am by The_Iceman »

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.
« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2018, 08:19:04 am »

Coaches and Programs in basketball are national brands. Wichita State, Butler, VCU....all known for making the Final 5 in the last 10 years.

IF you do that 5 times in a row...you are Elite. Nolan made 3 in 5 years....imagine making 5 in 5.

In essence, we are asking would you rather be an Elite basketball or and Elite baseball program. I'd choose basketball everytime without question. I'd rather national media between November and March talk about the top basketball programs being: Duke, Kansas, UNC, Kentucky, and Arkansas.....than college 5 time CWS champion.

The OP said nothing about doing either "in a row". What I can not believe is people would rather see the Hogs get close AND FAIL, than win it all. I do not follow them religiously, but when the women's golf team, or gymnastics do well, I do take notice. I think many posters would just a soon see the school drop all sports except football and men's basketball.

Just because everyday fans do not pay much attention does not mean that in the college athletics world people do not take notice when you win a few titles in any given sport ( like 42 in track and field ).

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2018, 08:38:38 am »

The OP said nothing about doing either "in a row". What I can not believe is people would rather see the Hogs get close AND FAIL, than win it all. I do not follow them religiously, but when the women's golf team, or gymnastics do well, I do take notice. I think many posters would just a soon see the school drop all sports except football and men's basketball.

Just because everyday fans do not pay much attention does not mean that in the college athletics world people do not take notice when you win a few titles in any given sport ( like 42 in track and field ).

Is a Final 4 really failing? You hang banners for Final 4s. Programs are judged by Final 4s. Our 1994 championship means more nationally and even among our fans than the 42 track championships.

I guess I misunderstood that we aren't talking about the next 5 years (in a row). I also guess with this premise that you make the Final 4 five times, but never play for or win the national championship.

I guess the heart of the question is: is a Final 4 in basketball of equal prestige and importance as a CWS championship in baseball?

Busta_Nutt

« Reply #71 on: May 09, 2018, 08:39:21 am »

UConn WCBB also comes to mind. I don't know anything about WCBB, but I know that UConn will, most likely, play for a National Championship year in and year out.

RyanMallettsEgo

• No, no, no, don't think of it as work.
« Reply #72 on: May 09, 2018, 08:49:02 am »

Is a Final 4 really failing? You hang banners for Final 4s. Programs are judged by Final 4s. Our 1994 championship means more nationally and even among our fans than the 42 track championships.

I guess I misunderstood that we aren't talking about the next 5 years (in a row). I also guess with this premise that you make the Final 4 five times, but never play for or win the national championship.

I guess the heart of the question is: is a Final 4 in basketball of equal prestige and importance as a CWS championship in baseball?

To those who follow more than just FUHBALL and HAWGBALL, yes.

1. 5 championships in baseball is, well, 5 championships. Not appearances.
2. The SEC in baseball is 50x better than the SEC in basketball.
3. Arkansas baseball attendance records are broken year after year it seems meaning, hey, people outside a vocal minority actually do care about Arkansas baseball.
4. When I think college baseball from about 2007 onwards, I think LSU/South Carolina/Florida/Vanderbilt. The SEC is very much alive and well, and winning 5 championships while playing in the best baseball conference in the country would be pretty damn cool.

Also for the guys kidding on baseball, you've clearly never been to Omaha for the CWS. Beats the hell out of any SEC/NCAA basketball tournament games I've been to.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #73 on: May 09, 2018, 09:20:16 am »

3. Arkansas baseball attendance records are broken year after year it seems meaning, hey, people outside a vocal minority actually do care about Arkansas baseball.
4. When I think college baseball from about 2007 onwards, I think LSU/South Carolina/Florida/Vanderbilt. The SEC is very much alive and well, and winning 5 championships while playing in the best baseball conference in the country would be pretty damn cool.

Also for the guys kidding on baseball, you've clearly never been to Omaha for the CWS. Beats the hell out of any SEC/NCAA basketball tournament games I've been to.

I do not get the dislike for baseball. People are willing to sit through a 4+ hr football game, with 147 incomplete passes and 20-30 seconds of nothing between plays, or a 2.5 hr basketball game with 50+ fouls and nothing but a ft parade the last 5 mins, but then they call baseball slow and boring.

Busta_Nutt

« Reply #74 on: May 09, 2018, 09:40:41 am »

I do not get the dislike for baseball. People are willing to sit through a 4+ hr football game, with 147 incomplete passes and 20-30 seconds of nothing between plays, or a 2.5 hr basketball game with 50+ fouls and nothing but a ft parade the last 5 mins, but then they call baseball slow and boring.

The game isn't too slow, some people are too slow to understand the strategy that goes into every pitch, shift, and plate appearance.

masbas3

• Varsity
« Reply #75 on: May 09, 2018, 09:41:47 am »

So you don't think our fans appreciate our 42 T&F Championships?  This is probably due to the fact that you just listen to what some say here on Hogville.  I wouldn't take anything for those accomplishments.

masbas3

• Varsity
« Reply #76 on: May 09, 2018, 09:44:27 am »

This ^^^^^!!!  And I still don't like baseball but would gladly take the 5 CWS CHAMPIONSHIPS.

• Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!
« Reply #77 on: May 09, 2018, 09:47:18 am »

You know how wherever you go, the first thing that someone asks you when they find out you are from Arkansas is the track and field program? That's how winning 5 straight baseball titles would be. Very few people would care. 5 straight FF appearances would make us a national power in a sport that most people actually care about.

RyanMallettsEgo

« Reply #78 on: May 09, 2018, 09:49:50 am »

You know how wherever you go, the first thing that someone asks you when they find out you are from Arkansas is the track and field program? That's how winning 5 straight baseball titles would be. Very few people would care. 5 straight FF appearances would make us a national power in a sport that most people actually care about.

No one ever said anything about "straight" appearances.

But, let's use the 5 straight scenario. We're the fanbase that would be calling for the head of whoever the coach was for not winning a single championship after making 5 straight Final Fours. Don't tell me we wouldn't.

311Hog

« Reply #79 on: May 09, 2018, 09:56:58 am »

i want titles.  Final Four is great but not winning the ship would put an * by it.  If we won 5 CWS titles we would ascend to one of the elites in the sport.  We are really good now, but you need a title even one to get over the hump if we won 5 of the next say 10 or 15 CWS we would establish a dynasty in the sport.

Don't care about the other would you rathers lol.

Andrew Hogfan

« Reply #80 on: May 09, 2018, 10:20:34 am »

CWS titles.  Push on the coaches

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #81 on: May 09, 2018, 10:47:08 am »

So you don't think our fans appreciate our 42 T&F Championships?  This is probably due to the fact that you just listen to what some say here on Hogville.  I wouldn't take anything for those accomplishments.

I am looking at this from a national perspective, not as a local diehard fan. Coach McDonnell is a legend and build one of the greatest dynasties in all of college sports. 42 National Titles is incredible.

Among our fans and those of college baseball, winning the championship is a big deal. Our baseball program would be on fire and Baum Stadium would be one of the hardest tickets to get. But from a national perspective, being a powerhouse is baseball has less of an impact than being a powerhouse in basketball. And in terms of prestige on that level, Final Fours banner are equal or greater than CWS Titles. Not to us as Arkansas fans, but in terms of national program prestige.

And for that reason, I would rather have the Final 4's.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #82 on: May 09, 2018, 10:51:56 am »

i want titles.  Final Four is great but not winning the ship would put an * by it.  If we won 5 CWS titles we would ascend to one of the elites in the sport.  We are really good now, but you need a title even one to get over the hump if we won 5 of the next say 10 or 15 CWS we would establish a dynasty in the sport.

Don't care about the other would you rathers lol.

5 Final Fours, even without ever winning the title, would ascend Arkansas to one of the Elites in the college basketball.

311Hog

« Reply #83 on: May 09, 2018, 10:52:25 am »

i think college baseball is gaining traction though.  It has come out of the gorilla ball, to small ball to just about right era.  And you have bonified MLB stars coming from the college ranks, and from Arkansas specifically.  While i would agree college basketball is more popular it is also slogging through a pretty hefty scandal period.

I really feel like CWS is on the up tick and this year will be no different.  I am not sure 5 Final fours would be "dynasty worthy" no one would stop talking about how we couldn't win one, the buffalo bills of college basketball etc. but 5 CWS titles would solidify a legacy IMHO DVH is a great coach that i think will be hall of fame worthy if he finds a away to win 1 CWS much less 5.

311Hog

« Reply #84 on: May 09, 2018, 10:53:07 am »

5 Final Fours, even without ever winning the title, would ascend Arkansas to one of the Elites in the college basketball.

we already have 3 final fours and 1 ship do you feel like we are elite?

RyanMallettsEgo

« Reply #85 on: May 09, 2018, 10:57:07 am »

i think college baseball is gaining traction though.  It has come out of the gorilla ball, to small ball to just about right era.  And you have bonified MLB stars coming from the college ranks, and from Arkansas specifically.  While i would agree college basketball is more popular it is also slogging through a pretty hefty scandal period.

I really feel like CWS is on the up tick and this year will be no different.  I am not sure 5 Final fours would be "dynasty worthy" no one would stop talking about how we couldn't win one, the buffalo bills of college basketball etc. but 5 CWS titles would solidify a legacy IMHO DVH is a great coach that i think will be hall of fame worthy if he finds a away to win 1 CWS much less 5.

The CWS is one of the coolest sporting events I've attended. I've been three times, and two of those were years when Arkansas did even make it.

It's awesome.

311Hog

« Reply #86 on: May 09, 2018, 11:09:30 am »

The CWS is one of the coolest sporting events I've attended. I've been three times, and two of those were years when Arkansas did even make it.

It's awesome.

if Arkansas gets in this year i am planning on making my first trip.  I have friends in Omaha now so it is very doable.

=)

RyanMallettsEgo

« Reply #87 on: May 09, 2018, 11:23:42 am »

if Arkansas gets in this year i am planning on making my first trip.  I have friends in Omaha now so it is very doable.

=)

Highly recommend.

Also pretty incredible stat:

College World Series 2017: 16 games, 357,646 attendees, average 22,352
NCAA March Madness 2017: 67 games, 720,449 attendees, average 20,103

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/baseball/2017/06/28/college-world-series-sets-total-attendance-record-of-357-646/103257220/

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/m_basketball_RB/Reports/attend/2017.pdf

And the CWS in Omaha isn't regional like March Madness. That year's participants were Cal State Fullerton, Oregon State, TCU, Texas A&M, Florida, Florida State, LSU, and Louisville. That's some traveling.

oldhawg

« Reply #88 on: May 09, 2018, 11:31:20 am »

Highly recommend.

Also pretty incredible stat:

College World Series 2017: 16 games, 357,646 attendees, average 22,352
NCAA March Madness 2017: 67 games, 720,449 attendees, average 20,103

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/baseball/2017/06/28/college-world-series-sets-total-attendance-record-of-357-646/103257220/

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/m_basketball_RB/Reports/attend/2017.pdf

And the CWS in Omaha isn't regional like March Madness. That year's participants were Cal State Fullerton, Oregon State, TCU, Texas A&M, Florida, Florida State, LSU, and Louisville.

Comparative attendances could be a result of stadium capacities?

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #89 on: May 09, 2018, 11:35:37 am »

we already have 3 final fours and 1 ship do you feel like we are elite?

Actually already have 5 Final 4's, one in the 40's, then 78, 91,94,95

RyanMallettsEgo

« Reply #90 on: May 09, 2018, 11:36:08 am »

That's what averages are for though. If you expand the difference in average over the discrepancy in games played...

And:

TD Ameritrade holds 24,000. That's a solid and defined number since the CWS doesn't bounce around.
The 2017 Final Four in the Phoenix Stadium holds 78,000 for basketball games.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #91 on: May 09, 2018, 11:36:28 am »

There were several 1st round NCAAT games played in front of far less than full arenas.

311Hog

« Reply #92 on: May 09, 2018, 11:42:28 am »

Actually already have 5 Final 4's, one in the 40's, then 78, 91,94,95

thanks Sanity =)

Smalltownhog95

• Varsity
« Reply #93 on: May 09, 2018, 11:55:29 am »

Rehire Pelphrey.

Win 5 CWS titles.

This isn't that hard.

What he said. Basketball looks like they've hit their peak at the round of 32 anyway...

redhogchilipepper

« Reply #94 on: May 09, 2018, 12:04:22 pm »

First a sharp stick to the eye the hire Pel

I’ll take 5 CWS only because I like be baseball a lot more than basketball

longtimeHogfan

« Reply #95 on: May 09, 2018, 01:35:42 pm »

I do not get the dislike for baseball.

Just a personal preference.  I've never liked baseball at any level.  I've set through a game in Baum on a sunny day and it was ok.  Just not like football.  I prefer on-your-feet, screaming, wild-eyed, rabid, slobering, hog calling football fans to the sitting, politely clapping baseball fans.  And don't get me wrong, I'm glad our other sports are having success, but football is king.

Busta_Nutt

« Reply #96 on: May 09, 2018, 01:39:38 pm »

Just a personal preference.  I've never liked baseball at any level.  I've set through a game in Baum on a sunny day and it was ok.  Just not like football.  I prefer on-your-feet, screaming, wild-eyed, rabid, slobering, hog calling football fans to the sitting, politely clapping baseball fans.  And don't get me wrong, I'm glad our other sports are having success, but football is king.

You sure you've been to a game at Baum?

RyanMallettsEgo

« Reply #97 on: May 09, 2018, 01:42:09 pm »

You sure you've been to a game at Baum?

Hell, after the way he described football games, are we sure he's been to one of those in the last 5 years?

longtimeHogfan

« Reply #98 on: May 09, 2018, 01:53:10 pm »

Hell, after the way he described football games, are we sure he's been to one of those in the last 5 years?

Ok, I probably deserved that.  I admit I've not attended a game at Baum with a packed house for a super regional.  Maybe if I had my experiences would have been different.  As for the wild-eyed rabid, screaming, slobbering comment  at Razorback stadium...those memories are fading somewhat.

311Hog

« Reply #99 on: May 09, 2018, 02:01:06 pm »

Regionals/Super Regionals are really really fun my friend. I mean packed house for regular season LSU in Baum is great, but i have been to a few of the post season games there and it is basically standing room only and loud.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas