• 394,679 Topics
• 22,262 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Part of Florida's problem was pretty astounding  (Read 2928 times)

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
Part of Florida's problem was pretty astounding
« on: May 08, 2018, 07:25:23 am »

It's the off season and since there has been so much chatter about our weight program, I thought it might be interesting to see what another SEC program went through under a former HC. I can see where this was a recipe for disaster. Read these questions to a former player and his answers.

One of the most discussed aspects of Florida football since the coaching change was how the Strength and Conditioning Program was run by Mike Kent. What are your feelings?

“It was a joke. I love Mike Kent to death, one of the best people I have ever met. Great guy, but it was a joke. We didn't really lift anymore, we stretched. Under coach [Will] Muschamp we lifted heavy, Olympic style lifts. That's football weight lifting. We didn't lift for max or do heavy power lifting under [Jim McElwain] MAC and Kent. Our program wasn't a serious off-season program. There was no accountability.

You shouldn't be at Florida and feel intimidated by looking at other SEC players.”

Was it because the weightlifting program was that different?

“That and we have a non-traditional weight-room compared to other big football schools because everyone is in there. Soccer players, volleyball players, baseball, we all work out in the same place and it's not an excuse, but you can't have the same level of focus and intensity and be the way you want to be when all these other outsiders are around, especially females.

More inside:

https://insidethegators.com/s/193/anonymous-player-parting-thoughts-i---strengthconditioning-program-facilities

Ex-Trumpet

• Gold Hogvillian
  • When life gives you lemons, get a boob job!
Re: Part of Florida's problem was pretty astounding
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 07:28:51 am »

Wow!!

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

mhsbc59

• All-American Hogvillian
  • "Cause thats how I Role"
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 07:57:11 am »

interesting,  my school only had one weight room as well but it was an NAIA school

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 08:12:43 am »

Wow that very interesting.

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 09:09:05 am »

so, basically, they'd rather watch booty than banging out on the weights; makes sense. Whoever designed that weight room was an idiot.

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 12:15:59 pm »

so, basically, they'd rather watch booty than banging out on the weights; makes sense. Whoever designed that weight room was an idiot.

I agree with all the money UF got they ought to have Weight Rooms for each group.

clutch

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2018, 01:23:22 pm »

I agree with all the money UF got they ought to have Weight Rooms for each group.

Wasn't that one of Mac's complaints? That he needed football only facilities? Odd that he was griping about that and then didn't have a serious weight program all at the same time.

elksnort

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Lucy, 10-11-2004 - 10-30-2015
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2018, 01:45:49 pm »

And yet Florida still gets great players and wins a lot except for a few years.

Not trying to take away from the original thread. However, some schools like Miami, USC, Florida can get away with some facility short comings.

Proximity to the majority of 4 and 5 stars seems to be the most important factor.

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2018, 03:02:02 pm »

And yet Florida still gets great players and wins a lot except for a few years.

Not trying to take away from the original thread. However, some schools like Miami, USC, Florida can get away with some facility short comings.

Proximity to the majority of 4 and 5 stars seems to be the most important factor.

That true I never heard Urban fussing about facilities.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2018, 04:55:33 pm »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.com/college/arkansas/Article/Trumain-Carroll-explains-philosophy-for-Arkansas-Razorbacks-strength-and-conditioning-program-113530970/Amp

Well, our new S&C coach does exactly what the players at Florida thought was wrong under McElwain. No heavy lifts. No power lifts. Just lighter Olympic lifts and stretching and such.

HogPharmer

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2018, 05:18:29 pm »

He was too busy fussing about his heart after Bama stomped him in the SECCG in 09...

BearsBisonsBoars

• Senior
  • Arguing with computers for a living
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2018, 06:07:34 pm »

My thought exactly. Or Spurrier.

I mean, Florida needs to fix that. But it also kinda sounds  like excuses.

Dark Helmet Hog

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Now let's see how well you handle it...
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2018, 06:14:57 pm »

I really enjoyed reading that. Thanks for sharing.

oldhawg

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2018, 06:23:53 pm »

Having read the article, I am a little confused about one thing as it might apply to Arkansas.  The article is about Florida, but is the implication that Morris's emphasis on building bodies for speed instead of bulk going to be detrimental or an advantage?

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2018, 06:43:38 pm »

It wasn't just the facilities, it was a lack of accountability, as well as making it more difficult to focus.

ChicoHog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • RIP Glenn. You're "Already Gone" way too soon
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2018, 08:40:23 pm »

He was too busy recruiting criminals, chasing grad students and faking ailments!

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2018, 08:42:52 pm »

Having read the article, I am a little confused about one thing as it might apply to Arkansas.  The article is about Florida, but is the implication that Morris's emphasis on building bodies for speed instead of bulk going to be detrimental or an advantage?

They seemed to find a way to get it done at Clemson and so far in the recruiting class and offers here, I don't see them shying away from bigger players.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2018, 09:35:45 pm »

They seemed to find a way to get it done at Clemson and so far in the recruiting class and offers here, I don't see them shying away from bigger players.

Clemson wasn't Morris's team, it was Swiney's and they have used more of the powerlifting and heavy lifting approach along with other methods. https://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2012/1/26/2707898/on-clemsons-s-c-program-and-our-problems-with-batson

So yeah, Clemson has gotten it done.

They've been after some bigger players no doubt about it, but what does that have to do with what the coaching staff plans to do with them once they are here?

The point of this thread, at least to me, appears to be about the impact the S&C program can have on the football team as a whole. When by far the biggest complaint about UF's S&C under McElwain is now the same philosophy we are now implementing, it's naturally going to become a major point of focus of topic.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2018, 05:38:28 am »

Clemson wasn't Morris's team, it was Swiney's and they have used more of the powerlifting and heavy lifting approach along with other methods. https://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2012/1/26/2707898/on-clemsons-s-c-program-and-our-problems-with-batson

So yeah, Clemson has gotten it done.

They've been after some bigger players no doubt about it, but what does that have to do with what the coaching staff plans to do with them once they are here?

The point of this thread, at least to me, appears to be about the impact the S&C program can have on the football team as a whole. When by far the biggest complaint about UF's S&C under McElwain is now the same philosophy we are now implementing, it's naturally going to become a major point of focus of topic.

I didn't say that Clemson was Morris' team while he was there, though his footprint was on their offense. Additionally, we speculate a lot on here and at times we tend to take whatever is posted as fact. Do we really know the details of how the S&C program is structured? Improving speed and flexibility is certainly important but do we know for a fact that they are sacrificing actual improvements in overall strength to become quicker/faster/more flexible? I haven't witnessed even a full week (let alone a full off season) of their S&C workouts so I can't say one way or the other and not having seen any of that, comparing it to what we have read of Florida's workouts, might be a stretch based on assumptions. I'm pretty sure they aren't sharing their weight room with other sports or female athletes, but I can't confirm that either, not having been there.

One of the articles that gives us some insight was this one but I am not sure that this philosophy necessarily indicates a tendency to move away from strength. Certainly a focus on greater quickness, speed, agility and flexibility, none of which are bad for this team.

The first tier is making sure all workouts are football-related. Instead of the traditional bench press and squat, Carroll said they’d do a lot of “Olympic lifts,” such as hang clean, power clean and hang snatch.

“We’re not going to make our guys power lifters; we’re not going to make our guys body builders,” Carroll said. “A lot of those movements we implement within our program, but that’s not our focus. Our focus is to get guys that can go on that football field that fit our offense, that fit our defense, that’s going to help Arkansas win championships.”

The next tier is developing workouts for specific position groups. He will meet with offensive coordinator Joe Craddock and defensive coordinator John Chavis, as well as Morris, and come up with a plan to get each position ready for the season.

Carroll is still in the process of evaluating the players, but he did acknowledge one group that he already knows needs some work.

“We want our linemen to be strong, physical at the point of contact and make people go that way, as well as be able to move,” Carroll said. “Obviously they’re a good strong group, but we have some mobility issues. That’s going to be addressed as soon as we hit the door.”

The bigger skill position players – tight ends, linebackers, and quarterbacks – have to be mobile, but also “pack a punch when it’s time to come up and deliver a blow,” Carroll said, while the other skill positions need to have speed and the ability to make people miss.

Finally, Carroll said the strength staff would further break it down into individual needs based on conversations with the athletic training staff, led by Matt Summers.

https://247sports.com/college/arkansas/Article/Trumain-Carroll-explains-philosophy-for-Arkansas-Razorbacks-strength-and-conditioning-program-113530970
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 05:53:59 am by MuskogeeHogFan »

jkstock04

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2018, 07:02:13 am »

It's the off season and since there has been so much chatter about our weight program, I thought it might be interesting to see what another SEC program went through under a former HC. I can see where this was a recipe for disaster. Read these questions to a former player and his answers.

One of the most discussed aspects of Florida football since the coaching change was how the Strength and Conditioning Program was run by Mike Kent. What are your feelings?

“It was a joke. I love Mike Kent to death, one of the best people I have ever met. Great guy, but it was a joke. We didn't really lift anymore, we stretched. Under coach [Will] Muschamp we lifted heavy, Olympic style lifts. That's football weight lifting. We didn't lift for max or do heavy power lifting under [Jim McElwain] MAC and Kent. Our program wasn't a serious off-season program. There was no accountability.

You shouldn't be at Florida and feel intimidated by looking at other SEC players.”

“That and we have a non-traditional weight-room compared to other big football schools because everyone is in there. Soccer players, volleyball players, baseball, we all work out in the same place and it's not an excuse, but you can't have the same level of focus and intensity and be the way you want to be when all these other outsiders are around, especially females.

More inside:

https://insidethegators.com/s/193/anonymous-player-parting-thoughts-i---strengthconditioning-program-facilities
Very interesting to hear Florida doesn't have separate exercise facilities for the football team. So if you play football at Florida you have to share facilities with the soccer team etc? Wow...how does that not kill them in recruiting? I see that as a big deal and 2nd rate.

Cinco de Hogo

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2018, 07:19:23 am »

I didn't say that Clemson was Morris' team while he was there, though his footprint was on their offense. Additionally, we speculate a lot on here and at times we tend to take whatever is posted as fact. Do we really know the details of how the S&C program is structured? Improving speed and flexibility is certainly important but do we know for a fact that they are sacrificing actual improvements in overall strength to become quicker/faster/more flexible? I haven't witnessed even a full week (let alone a full off season) of their S&C workouts so I can't say one way or the other and not having seen any of that, comparing it to what we have read of Florida's workouts, might be a stretch based on assumptions. I'm pretty sure they aren't sharing their weight room with other sports or female athletes, but I can't confirm that either, not having been there.

One of the articles that gives us some insight was this one but I am not sure that this philosophy necessarily indicates a tendency to move away from strength. Certainly a focus on greater quickness, speed, agility and flexibility, none of which are bad for this team.

The first tier is making sure all workouts are football-related. Instead of the traditional bench press and squat, Carroll said they’d do a lot of “Olympic lifts,” such as hang clean, power clean and hang snatch.

“We’re not going to make our guys power lifters; we’re not going to make our guys body builders,” Carroll said. “A lot of those movements we implement within our program, but that’s not our focus. Our focus is to get guys that can go on that football field that fit our offense, that fit our defense, that’s going to help Arkansas win championships.”

The next tier is developing workouts for specific position groups. He will meet with offensive coordinator Joe Craddock and defensive coordinator John Chavis, as well as Morris, and come up with a plan to get each position ready for the season.

Carroll is still in the process of evaluating the players, but he did acknowledge one group that he already knows needs some work.

“We want our linemen to be strong, physical at the point of contact and make people go that way, as well as be able to move,” Carroll said. “Obviously they’re a good strong group, but we have some mobility issues. That’s going to be addressed as soon as we hit the door.”

The bigger skill position players – tight ends, linebackers, and quarterbacks – have to be mobile, but also “pack a punch when it’s time to come up and deliver a blow,” Carroll said, while the other skill positions need to have speed and the ability to make people miss.

Finally, Carroll said the strength staff would further break it down into individual needs based on conversations with the athletic training staff, led by Matt Summers.

https://247sports.com/college/arkansas/Article/Trumain-Carroll-explains-philosophy-for-Arkansas-Razorbacks-strength-and-conditioning-program-113530970

The important thing there is “by position” and we certainly have the strength and conditioning facilities to separate those positions.  Overal Arkansas wins with speed not overpowering strength.

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2018, 08:47:53 am »

I believe the new SC staff will get some things done vs Body by Herb.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2018, 06:58:00 pm »

Very interesting to hear Florida doesn't have separate exercise facilities for the football team. So if you play football at Florida you have to share facilities with the soccer team etc? Wow...how does that not kill them in recruiting? I see that as a big deal and 2nd rate.

That is interesting, isn't it? How can that even be the norm at Florida? How would any HC in the SEC accept that? Are there others in the SEC in the same situation? I would think that any new hire these days would make that a part of their negotiation for the position. Or has the allure of being in the middle of that southeastern U.S. hotbed of talent made a dedicated weight and workout facility for the football team, less important?

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2018, 09:09:44 pm »

I didn't say that Clemson was Morris' team while he was there, though his footprint was on their offense.

You pointed to the success of Clemson as a whole as proof that Morris's ideas on strength and conditioning are correct. This despite that even during Morris's time there, the S&C was fundamentally different to what Carrol has talked about.

Further, never said that you did claim Clemson was Morris's team. I bring up that it was Dabo's team because it's his fingerprints that are on the team. If Morris had influenced the S&C, you bringing up their success would make a point. With Clemson's S&C in opposition to what Morris has done since and plans to do here, it would appear their success as a program from the reference point of strength and conditioning would be in spite of Morris rather than because.

Speaking of Clemson's success, they become a lot better as a program after he left. Too many variables at play to create any sort of causation. For example, they had Watson after Morris left as their qb. However, their lost yardage plays instantly halved after Morris left. Again, that could be a result of Watson, but their lost yardage plays also doubled as soon as Morris got there. Similarly, Tulsa had their number of lost yardage plays double the one year Morris was their before immediately halving again as soon as he left. Even SMU took a tumble, though to Morris's credit, he did clean those up some by year three, something he didn't do at Clemson, which speaks to how inexperienced he is a coach. He's still growing and improving.

Additionally, we speculate a lot on here and at times we tend to take whatever is posted as fact. Do we really know the details of how the S&C program is structured? Improving speed and flexibility is certainly important but do we know for a fact that they are sacrificing actual improvements in overall strength to become quicker/faster/more flexible? I haven't witnessed even a full week (let alone a full off season) of their S&C workouts so I can't say one way or the other and not having seen any of that, comparing it to what we have read of Florida's workouts, might be a stretch based on assumptions. I'm pretty sure they aren't sharing their weight room with other sports or female athletes, but I can't confirm that either, not having been there.

The only assumption I'm making about our strength and conditioning coach is that Coach Tru says what he means, and means what he says.

For all I know, contrary to the article I linked, the players are doing the bench press and sqauts and are lifting heavy and aiming to improve strength by lifting heavy, which is in direct opposition to what he said.

For example, check out this article with Carrol from SMU.

http://footballscoop.com/news/video-inside-the-philosophy-of-chad-morris-strength-staff-at-smu/

You primarily see video of the players doing guess what? Bench press and squat. And they are lifting heavy in the process. Is that something he is planning to move away from in the SEC? Or is that more a function of simply mis-speaking in the article I linked earlier and not quite saying exactly what he meant?

Hahahaha, I'm guessing you didn't realize that your evidence against my argument was exactly the same link in my first post in this thread that I based my argument off of.

When I was reading your OP, the philosophy of McElwain and the the things talked about in that articles sounded a heckuvalot like Morris. So, I went searching to see what Morris was wanting with Coach Carroll and came across and posted that same link where Carroll says he won't be doing squats and bench and doesn't want the team to be lifting heavy. Though again, you watch what he did at SMU and they were doing squats and bench and lifting heavy in direct opposition to what he said.

I'd guess he mis-spoke on the fly in the interview for Arkansas and we probably are going to doing powerlifts and lifting heavy, along with all the other aspects that go into a collegiate football S&C program such as the more explosive olympic lifts, flexibility, and things that go into making a program well rounded.

jdevers

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2018, 10:03:12 pm »

I may be missing something, I’m clearly not an Olympic athlete...however I’ve been in the weight room more than a few times and hang clean, power clean and hang snatch are not easy finesse exercises.  Those are big weight whole body movements.

Notice also he says that in relation to “tier 1” generic workouts, everyone will do those.  They develop explosion, flexibility, and strength, not just strength.  I’m sure most position groups will also do squats and the majority will also do bench pressing, no where in that quote did he say otherwise.

Arkansas Fan

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2018, 10:40:01 pm »

Great...now here we are going away from power lifting and what could've been a big problem for Florida. I guess we'll see how it works out...

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2018, 05:17:08 am »

Great...now here we are going away from power lifting and what could've been a big problem for Florida. I guess we'll see how it works out...

The Florida player who commented in the article quoted in the OP said that under McElwain they got away from lifting heavy, Olympic style weights. Carroll (above) says they will be doing a lot of Olympic style lifts. So to me, it doesn't sound exactly like a Florida/McElwain style of weight program. Though I am sure that there are folks who will disagree with this.

Hoggish1

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2018, 08:02:06 am »

More inside:

When in Rome...

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2018, 07:16:26 pm »

When in Rome...

Apparently we aren't in "Rome" because I don't believe they are following the McElwain model. It seems that they are following something more akin to the Muschamp model in terms of weights and lifting, at least according to the article that was linked above.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas