• 394,771 Topics
• 22,262 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: When do you see Arkansas reaching/winning another major bowl game?  (Read 1737 times)

Ben

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net

Arkansas last won a major bowl in 77 and has been to a few in the 80s and in 2010. When do you think Arkansas will reach another major bowl game and win one?

Pudgepork

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Horse Racings most unlikely champ

I consider the Cotton Bowl a major Bowl

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Dark Helmet Hog

• Now let's see how well you handle it...

Agree. OP is incorrect.

RyanMallettsEgo

• See if you can guess...what I am now

Same. That was a primetime bowl game on January 6th and I'm pretty sure the only game on then.

Also:

"This was only the second time in the BCS era that a non-BCS bowl had two teams with higher BCS rankings playing than teams in a BCS bowl (the first being the 2008 Poinsettia Bowl). The 2012 Sugar Bowl, and 2012 Orange Bowl had teams with lower BCS rankings squaring off."

Ben

• Senior

"For 53 years, the champion of the now-defunct Southwest Conference (SWC) played as the home team in the Cotton Bowl Classic, a tie-in which continued through the 1994 season....However, in 1995, the new Bowl Alliance (the predecessor of the BCS) chose to include the Fiesta over the Cotton in its rotation....The Cotton Bowl Classic returned to "major" bowl status in the 2014 season in conjunction with the first year of the new College Football Playoff"

So while it was still a pretty prestigous bowl game, it lost it's top tier status in 95 when the SWC went away. When i say Major bowl games, i mean the elite top tier bowls (Rose, Sugar, Fiesta, Orange, Cotton outside of 1995-2013.). All 8 of Arkansas' Cotton Bowl appearances before 95 were when they won their conference and played another conference champion/runner-up, similar to some of the other major bowl games.  In all 4 Cotton Bowl appearances from 1995-13, Arkansas finished 3rd in the SEC West. So it wasn't elite status again until 2014.

Al Boarland

When the below factors line up.

1. Bama and other teams being down
2. Great in-state talent
3. Supplemental TX talent
4. Solid defense

3Scoreand10

• Varsity

After the 2020 season.

ALLVOL

If CCM can have time and recruit like we hope he can, it will be withing 3 years and early as 2. I believe he has the x's and o's ability. So like every other team it comes down to getting the talent.

rtr

Yes and within 5 years.

247Hog

• Senior
  • Regular Sized Rudy Calling the Hogs

jgphillips3

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Life is too short for bad beer.

“major” bowl as in not the kind that has 6-6 or 7-5 teams is possible in 2019.  I think we could be in a good “major” bowl in 2020.

masbas3

• Varsity

Arkansas last won a major bowl in 77 and has been to a few in the 80s and in 2010. When do you think Arkansas will reach another major bowl game and win one?

Three years after this season.

NaturalStateReb

• Czar of Arkansas
  • Administrator

Three years after this season.

I agree.  If everything goes well, 3 years isn't an unreasonable expectation.  It really just comes down to recruiting.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.

Guess we have to define "major" bowl. The New Years 6 I would assume qualify as major. I'd say maybe once in the next decade, MAYBE.

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.

meh. Should have won the Sugar Bowl. We were cheated. So, this whole post is disingenuous af.

DLUXHOG

• It'll feel better when it quits hurtin'

Soon, very soon....  be patient glasshoppah....

Busta_Nutt

meh. Should have won the Sugar Bowl. We were cheated. So, this whole post is disingenuous af.

We were hardly cheated. We had our chance to win the ballgame. The blocked punt should have been returned for a TD and Mallett threw an INT in the redzone with a minute to play.

HappyFan

After the way we have played the last few years, any bowl is a major bowl.

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis

3 years!

HogPharmer

We screwed ourselves out of winning that game.

hogcards

• The Glimmer Twins

In a few years.   I could see the Hogs ending up in something like the Music City or Liberty this season.

PORKULATOR

• knows how to 'dunk the crumpets'

2-3 years we COULD win a big bowl and make the playoffs in 3-4 if all goes perfect.

CollegeHog

"For 53 years, the champion of the now-defunct Southwest Conference (SWC) played as the home team in the Cotton Bowl Classic, a tie-in which continued through the 1994 season....However, in 1995, the new Bowl Alliance (the predecessor of the BCS) chose to include the Fiesta over the Cotton in its rotation....The Cotton Bowl Classic returned to "major" bowl status in the 2014 season in conjunction with the first year of the new College Football Playoff"

So while it was still a pretty prestigous bowl game, it lost it's top tier status in 95 when the SWC went away. When i say Major bowl games, i mean the elite top tier bowls (Rose, Sugar, Fiesta, Orange, Cotton outside of 1995-2013.). All 8 of Arkansas' Cotton Bowl appearances before 95 were when they won their conference and played another conference champion/runner-up, similar to some of the other major bowl games.  In all 4 Cotton Bowl appearances from 1995-13, Arkansas finished 3rd in the SEC West. So it wasn't elite status again until 2014.

Are you high? Arkansas was a Top 5 team when they played in the 2013 Cotton Bowl. The only reason they weren't in the Sugar Bowl is Bama and LSU were lined up for a national championship.

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose

Are you high? Arkansas was a Top 5 team when they played in the 2013 Cotton Bowl. The only reason they weren't in the Sugar Bowl is Bama and LSU were lined up for a national championship.

That was actually the 2012 Cotton Bowl, and I believe we were #6 going into that game.....finished the season at #5.

MultipleScoreGasms

• Varsity

Wasn't that the same year the #1 and #2 teams in the SEC West were ranked #1 and #2 nationally?  Didn't those same two teams play each other for the NC in their bowl game?  How does Arkansas being ranked #3 in the SECW under those circumstances make Arkansas or their bowl game minor?  Wasn't our opponent also highly ranked at kickoff?  If memory serves me correctly, three of the top five teams at the end of that season were from the SECW.  #1 Bama, #2 LSU. #5 Arkansas.  I guess I could agree with the "Bowl Alliance" and assume the game wasn't a "major bowl" based on their arbitrary assessment, but I chose to watch the game instead.  Now I'm too blinded by the facts to give in to labels or "dumbassery."

I can only hope that CCM can once again elevate us to such minor status.

Ben

• Senior

Not high, just stating all facts. Arkansas was #7 heading into the Cotton Bowl. The same Cotton Bowl that Arkansas was ranked 24, 25, and Non-ranked the previous 3 times from 95-13. Just 2 years prior, unranked Ole Miss went to the Cotton Bowl.

Missouri was #7 when they played Arkansas in 2007, Colorado was #7 in the 96 Cotton Bowl, BYU and UCLA were #5 in 97 and 98. So it's not the first time there was a high ranked team there. Oklahoma was #10 when they played Arkansas, who was unranked.

Wildhog

Ask me after this season.

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian

We screwed ourselves out of winning that game.
Their 5 best players, the guys who made all the plays, were ineligible. They ended up going UNDEFEATED that next year and couldnt even go bowling b/c of their cheating of Arkansas in the Sugar Bowl. HAD they not cheated, Arkansas wins that game by 30.

I was there. the scoop n (no) score happened right in front of me. the OSU fans in the stands were already conceding and telling me "good game". Even with all the ineligible players, PRO PLAYERS (paid) and a bant coach and we still win if not for one fool falling on the ball instead of scoring a free TD.

From just the ones I saw, Hog fans were 6-0 in fights down in the Quarter after the game tho lol.

Ben

• Senior

Wasn't that the same year the #1 and #2 teams in the SEC West were ranked #1 and #2 nationally?  Didn't those same two teams play each other for the NC in their bowl game?  How does Arkansas being ranked #3 in the SECW under those circumstances make Arkansas or their bowl game minor?  Wasn't our opponent also highly ranked at kickoff?  If memory serves me correctly, three of the top five teams at the end of that season were from the SECW.  #1 Bama, #2 LSU. #5 Arkansas.  I guess I could agree with the "Bowl Alliance" and assume the game wasn't a "major bowl" based on their arbitrary assessment, but I chose to watch the game instead.  Now I'm too blinded by the facts to give in to labels or "dumbassery."

I can only hope that CCM can once again elevate us to such minor status.

Just two years prior, Ole Miss was unranked and made the same Cotton Bowl...but ok lol.

Rose Bowl was occupied by the Big Ten/Pac 12 champ
Fiesta Bowl was occupied by the Big 12 Champ, and 2nd best Pac 12 team
Sugar Bowl was occupied by the 2nd Best ACC team and (honestly don't know why Michigan made it)
Orange Bowl was occupied by the ACC champ and Big East Champ.

Arkansas, even ranked #7 before bowl season wasn't the 2nd best in the SEC and going by conference record, wasn't even the 3rd best team (Georgia was). As opposed to 2010 when Arkansas was the 2nd Best team in the Conference with a 6-2 conf record that was better than everyone else's except Auburn's and LSU who went 6-2 but Arkansas had the head to head win. Hince the reason they made it to the Sugar Bowl.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Life as a Politics Mod....

MultipleScoreGasms

• Varsity

Just two years prior, Ole Miss was unranked and made the same Cotton Bowl...but ok lol.

Rose Bowl was occupied by the Big Ten/Pac 12 champ
Fiesta Bowl was occupied by the Big 12 Champ, and 2nd best Pac 12 team
Sugar Bowl was occupied by the 2nd Best ACC team and (honestly don't know why Michigan made it)
Orange Bowl was occupied by the ACC champ and Big East Champ.

Arkansas, even ranked #7 before bowl season wasn't the 2nd best in the SEC and going by conference record, wasn't even the 3rd best team (Georgia was). As opposed to 2010 when Arkansas was the 2nd Best team in the Conference with a 6-2 conf record that was better than everyone else's except Auburn's and LSU who went 6-2 but Arkansas had the head to head win. Hince the reason they made it to the Sugar Bowl.

So what?  Why let actual outcomes affect your judgement?  If seems like your perception of "major" is dependent upon what other people tell you is major.

HogPharmer

Their 5 best players, the guys who made all the plays, were ineligible. They ended up going UNDEFEATED that next year and couldnt even go bowling b/c of their cheating of Arkansas in the Sugar Bowl. HAD they not cheated, Arkansas wins that game by 30.

I was there. the scoop n (no) score happened right in front of me. the OSU fans in the stands were already conceding and telling me "good game". Even with all the ineligible players, PRO PLAYERS (paid) and a bant coach and we still win if not for one fool falling on the ball instead of scoring a free TD.

From just the ones I saw, Hog fans were 6-0 in fights down in the Quarter after the game tho lol.

Still doesn't change the fact that those players played and at the end of the game, they had more points than us. Regardless of who should/shouldn't have been eligible to play that game, we still lost that game on our own. I'd rather be able to say we beat them at their best  (which we should have, if not for our own screw ups) rather than anybody be able to say we only won because half their team was suspended.

Busta_Nutt

I'm sure it all evens out after the fights you were in.

Ben

• Senior

So what?  Why let actual outcomes affect your judgement?  If seems like your perception of "major" is dependent upon what other people tell you is major.
No, i just go by the facts instead of subjectivity and emotion like you. You or my opinion of "major" doesn't change the objective fact that the Cotton bowl wasn't major bowl status from 95-2013. Like i said, Ole Miss was unranked two years prior, didn't win their conference, and made it. Name one time the Rose, Orange, that has unranked teams playing who weren't conference champs. Il wait...
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 01:15:35 pm by Ben »

RyanMallettsEgo

No, i just go by the facts instead of subjectivity and emotion like you. You or my opinion of "major" doesn't change the objective fact that the Cotton bowl wasn't major bowl status from 95-2013. Like i said, Ole Miss was unranked two years prior and made it. A major bowl doesn't have unranked teams playing.

That Cotton Bowl had higher BCS-ranked teams than two BCS games that year...so...I guess those BCS games weren't "major" either since a "non-major" bowl had higher BCS-ranked teams playing in it.

Ben

• Senior

That Cotton Bowl had higher BCS-ranked teams than two BCS games that year...so...I guess those BCS games weren't "major" either since a "non-major" bowl had higher BCS-ranked teams playing in it.
Those BCS games didn't have teams that finished 3rd in their division and 4th overall in their conference. No matter how you try to twist the narrative, the only major bowl games that season were the BCS bowls. Rose, Sugar, Fiesta, Orange, and National title. If you need any further evidence of Major Bowl status, those bowls had a payout of 17million per team. The Cotton bowl had 3.6million per team, just as much as the Outback Bowl and less than the Capital One Bowl.

MultipleScoreGasms

• Varsity

So what you are saying is "yes, your perception is dependent on what other people tell you."  Outcomes are irrelevant in your assessment.  For instance, some of the teams you site as participants in "major bowls," were ranked lower in the BCS on game day based on performance.  However, they were the best in a "not so best" environment.  Good call.

RyanMallettsEgo

Those BCS games didn't have teams that finished 3rd in their division and 4th overall in their conference. No matter how you try to twist the narrative, the only major bowl games that season were the BCS bowls. Rose, Sugar, Fiesta, Orange, and National title. If you need any further evidence of Major Bowl status, those bowls had a payout of 17million per team. The Cotton bowl had 3.6million per team, just as much as the Outback Bowl and less than the Capital One Bowl.

Do you not realize how tie-ins worked? If those didn't exist and if the SEC didn't max out the number of teams it was allowed in BCS games, Arkansas would have been in a BCS bowl. Rules and technicalities kept us out. Had nothing to do with where we finished in the conference compared to where other teams in their conference finished.

We finished ranked higher in the BCS than like 4 teams that played in BCS games. We were kept out because of technicalities.

You can't spin that.

Especially when your narrative is that the Cotton Bowl was elite for decades, then it wasn't for like 4 years, one of those years in which Arkansas was in it, but now it is again.

What are you trying to get at here?

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian

I'm sure it all evens out after the fights you were in.
I actually didnt fight that time (strange for me, i know). My Ole Lady did, however, grab a STACK of about 80-100 $1 bills out of an OSU Frat Boy's hand and splash the strip club stage with it in 1 second flat. Dude reached for it, got his hands stomped by 2 or 3 stripper heels, and was subsequently thrown out of the the tittybar. So, I feel like we still did do our part.

Ben

• Senior

Do you not realize how tie-ins worked? If those didn't exist and if the SEC didn't max out the number of teams it was allowed in BCS games, Arkansas would have been in a BCS bowl. Rules and technicalities kept us out. Had nothing to do with where we finished in the conference compared to where other teams in their conference finished.

We finished ranked higher in the BCS than like 4 teams that played in BCS games. We were kept out because of technicalities.

You can't spin that.

Especially when your narrative is that the Cotton Bowl was elite for decades, then it wasn't for like 4 years, one of those years in which Arkansas was in it, but now it is again.

What are you trying to get at here?
I clearly said numerous times from 1995-13 the cotton bowl wasn't elite, not just for 4 years, so there you are again twisting things up

Whether there were technicalities with tie-ins or not doesn't refute the objective fact that the Cotton Bowl wasn't a major bowl game in 2012.  Neither does the ranking of the teams who played. Sorry. No matter how you try to twist it, the Cotton Bowl wasn't a major bowl. That's not my opinion. That's a fact. I'm well aware of who was ranked and what tie-ins were present. Im just simply stating facts.

Grizzlyfan

There was a time when the Cotton Bowl became a lower tiered bowl.  But since it moved to Jerry World in 2009 it's a prime time bowl again.

RyanMallettsEgo

I clearly said numerous times from 1995-13 the cotton bowl wasn't elite, not just for 4 years, so there you are again twisting things up

Whether there were technicalities with tie-ins or not doesn't refute the objective fact that the Cotton Bowl wasn't a major bowl game in 2012.  Neither does the ranking of the teams who played. Sorry. No matter how you try to twist it, the Cotton Bowl wasn't a major bowl. That's not my opinion. That's a fact. I'm well aware of who was ranked and what tie-ins were present. Im just simply stating facts.

Not sure you know what a fact is. There is no verifiable way to say "The Cotton Bowl was not a major bowl." That is your opinion.

Your initial post does not define BCS bowls as the only bowls that can be considered major bowls during the BCS period. That's a fact.

Fact: Alabama and LSU played in the BCS National Championship in 2012.
Opinion: The Cotton Bowl was not a major bowl in 2012.

The Cotton Bowl was not a BCS bowl in 2012. Is your criteria that a bowl must have been a BCS bowl to have been considered "major?" If so, why? Because it means teams won their conference and received higher payouts from the bowl game they played in?

BCS rankings mean nothing then, I guess. Because Arkansas and Kansas State were ranked higher than several BCS bowl teams that year.

Your post is subjective. That means it's your opinion.

Again, what is your overall point here? What are you trying to get at?

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian

@RyanMallettsEgo

His whole point (agenda, really) is to disparage Arkansas and make it sound like we havent won a Major Bowl game in over 40 years. He's a total troll.

justmakeit2thebcs

Not in the next 10 years, if ever.

DLUXHOG

• It'll feel better when it quits hurtin'

Not in the next 10 years, if ever.

Let me guess...  you were beaten regularly and frequently with a hickory cane rod when you were a child....

urkillnmesmalls

• Experience: You get it just after you needed it!

Let me guess...  you were beaten regularly and frequently with a hickory cane rod when you were a child....

Why do you have to bring Adrian Peterson into the discussion?  ;D

Ben

• Senior

Not sure you know what a fact is. There is no verifiable way to say "The Cotton Bowl was not a major bowl." That is your opinion.

Your initial post does not define BCS bowls as the only bowls that can be considered major bowls during the BCS period. That's a fact.

Fact: Alabama and LSU played in the BCS National Championship in 2012.
Opinion: The Cotton Bowl was not a major bowl in 2012.

The Cotton Bowl was not a BCS bowl in 2012. Is your criteria that a bowl must have been a BCS bowl to have been considered "major?" If so, why? Because it means teams won their conference and received higher payouts from the bowl game they played in?

BCS rankings mean nothing then, I guess. Because Arkansas and Kansas State were ranked higher than several BCS bowl teams that year.

Your post is subjective. That means it's your opinion.

Again, what is your overall point here? What are you trying to get at?
When i say major, if you have College football IQ, you would know i am talking about the BCS Bowls. Anytime someone hears "Major Bowl games" more than often, the first thing that comes to mind are the BCS/NY6 bowl games.The Cotton bowl was stilll a pretty good bowl and im not saying it wasn't significant. But when i say major, i am clearly talking about the top tier elite bowl games, aka the BCS bowls. You are so in your feelings that you are going around in subjective circles not making any sense

Fact: Alabama and LSU played in the 2012 National title game
Fact: The Cotton Bowl was not BCS bowl in 2012, thus not a top tier bowl game
Fact: The Cotton Bowl was not a top tier bowl game from 95 to 2013.
Fact: Ole Miss was unranked 2 years prior and made the Cotton Bowl.
Fact: There has never been an unranked team who didn't win their conference that played in the Rose, Sugar, Orange, Fiesta (When it became a top tier bowl), and Cotton Bowl (when it's been a top tier bowl)
Fact: BCS bowls were more prestigous than any other bowl game, thus more major.

I can go on and on. It doesn't take that much College Football IQ to understand that BCS bowls were more prestigious and heralded than just any other bowl. From the tradition, to the payouts, to the coverage, to simply even having a group name specifically stating that you are a top tier bowl game. You literally had non-BCS bowl games (Like the Cotton Bowl then) and the BCS bowls. Hell look no further than 2010 when Hog fans were going crazy about making the Sugar Bowl because it was a BCS game, hince more major than just the Cotton Bowl.

Arkansas was ranked 7, but again, they were 3rd in the SEC West and 4th overall in the SEC. Most of the time, it's the first and 2nd place teams in the P5 conferences make the BCS bowl games. Rankings weren't always a sign that you were going to a BCS bowl. Some of the tie-ins were based objectively off who won their conference. otherwise 8-5 Wisconsin and #21 Louisville wouldn't have been in BCS bowls in 2012, but they were conference champs in AQ conferences. Arkansas wasn't even the 3rd best team in the SEC. Georgia was based off conference record. But go back a year in 2010, Arkansas had the 2nd best record in the SEC, hince why they made the Sugar Bowl.

Your definition of "major" is more subjective than anything else because you don't have any facts to back up your statement. Sure I feel Arkansas should have been in a BCS bowl because they were ranked 7 and only lost to title game teams. But that doesn't refute the fact that they played in bowl game that was not top tier like the BCS bowl games. In fact, you haven't refuted any of the facts i've presented. Just irrational claims that my post is subjective despite all the facts laid out.

When it's said and done, the 2012 Cotton Bowl was NOT a Top Tier bowl game, no matter what your subjective opinion and feelings are. That's the main point.

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose

Sounds like there needs to be a distinction between "bowl" and "game". Argue all you want about the Cotton Bowl was top tier in 2012, but the game itself was certainly top tier because both teams were in the Top Ten.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.

If the definition of "major" bowl is nyd 6 then it s going to be a long time most likely.

RyanMallettsEgo

Sounds like there needs to be a distinction between "bowl" and "game". Argue all you want about the Cotton Bowl was top tier in 2012, but the game itself was certainly top tier because both teams were in the Top Ten.

Exactly.

Your definition of "major" is more subjective than anything else because you don't have any facts to back up your statement. Sure I feel Arkansas should have been in a BCS bowl because they were ranked 7 and only lost to title game teams. But that doesn't refute the fact that they played in bowl game that was not top tier like the BCS bowl games. In fact, you haven't refuted any of the facts i've presented. Just irrational claims that my post is subjective despite all the facts laid out.

Hey Einstein, the fact is that Kansas State and Arkansas were ranked higher in the BCS rankings than teams playing in 2 BCS bowls that year. That speaks more volumes about the stupid BCS system than anything else because based on rankings, not conference winners and tie-ins, Arkansas and Kansas State should've been in a BCS bowl.

Your definition of BCS as "major bowls" simply has to do with who won their conference and who had tie-ins. If Alabama and LSU both made the BCS National Championship at #1 and #2, Arkansas could still be #3 and miss a BCS bowl due to conference restrictions, and that's exactly why Arkansas was kept out that year. Anyone with a college football IQ would know that. This isn't hard to understand.

That's a fact, my man. And you throwing around the ol' "IQ" argument and still not understanding what constitutes as a fact is pretty funny.

I'll ask for the third time, Benjamin: What's your point here? What are you trying to get at? That we've sucked recently? As if that isn't a given.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 08:53:33 am by RyanMallettsEgo »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas