• 9,877,910 Posts
• 398,090 Topics
• 22,795 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Somebody has to explain why a player leaves Arkansas for DePaul.  (Read 11118 times)

mykidsdad

Re: Somebody has to explain why a player leaves Arkansas for DePaul.
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2018, 02:48:21 pm »

Let me guess...Fox News viewer?

Let me guess MSNBC loon?

hoglady

« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2018, 03:55:34 pm »

Haven't been in a while, but Chicago is one of my favorite cities.
I ride the L, walk or take a cab wherever I'm going.
Never had a problem - even when I'm alone.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

husker71

« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2018, 04:21:19 pm »

want to play in the Big East but also want to play a bunch of minutes right away??  This is where I would go if I wanted those 2 items.  Maybe some type of family or personal connection that we don't know about.

hoglady

« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2018, 04:34:49 pm »

want to play in the Big East but also want to play a bunch of minutes right away??  This is where I would go if I wanted those 2 items.  Maybe some type of family or personal connection that we don't know about.

You may have a point.
I've meet a lot of people from Chicago living in Little Rock over the years.

HognitiveDissonance

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2018, 05:31:50 pm »

There are several stories floating around, the story that makes the most sense is that Hall was not accepted back to Arkansas with a warm welcome, burned a few bridges as state above.  Hall didn't have many options and DePaul and UALR were out there.
Yea, UALR. I posted this a while back.
UALR doesn't have the same cachet, but a fresh new start with Darrell Walker, with lots of schollies to give. Hall could be the man next year.
They're also D-1 and were playing in the 2nd Round of the NCAAs just two years ago. There is visibility to be had for Hall if Darrell does a good job.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2018, 06:33:07 pm »

I agree, slam dunk decision for me. 

Youíve never been there in the winter I guess.................

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Crazy Times Make Crazy people Crazier!!!!
« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2018, 06:37:04 pm »

Youíve never been there in the winter I guess.................

Most certainly have.

mjsphd

« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2018, 07:32:36 pm »

Odds are he will be playing for a different coach once he gets eligible:

@CoachingChanges
Top 10 Hot Seat Jobs for 2018-19
1) UCLA
2) DePaul
3) Michigan State
4) Wake Forest
5) Iowa State
6) St. Johnís
7) Georgia Tech
8) SMU
9) Minnesota
10) Fordham

hawg66

• Senior
« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2018, 07:51:27 am »

Odds are he will be playing for a different coach once he gets eligible:

@CoachingChanges
Top 10 Hot Seat Jobs for 2018-19
1) UCLA
2) DePaul
3) Michigan State
4) Wake Forest
5) Iowa State
6) St. Johnís
7) Georgia Tech
8) SMU
9) Minnesota
10) Fordham
Hmmm. Izzo retiring I guess. Silliness like Izzo being on the hot seat is why these lists are usually dumb.

nwahogfan1

« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2018, 08:04:57 am »

I hope before Izzo retires they nail him for all the out of control behavior by his players which includes recruiting.  I think it will not happen because of the money involved but BB needs to have these out of control coaches to be punished.

JIHawg

« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2018, 08:08:30 am »

Hmmm. Izzo retiring I guess. Silliness like Izzo being on the hot seat is why these lists are usually dumb.

Izzo is likely on there because, since the Olympics sexual abuse is tied to Michigan State, they are under the microscope.  Izzo may have ignored or covered up sexual abuse by his players that he shouldn't have.  He denies any wrongdoing of course.

hawg66

• Senior
« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2018, 08:35:30 am »

Izzo is likely on there because, since the Olympics sexual abuse is tied to Michigan State, they are under the microscope.  Izzo may have ignored or covered up sexual abuse by his players that he shouldn't have.  He denies any wrongdoing of course.
I hadnít thought of that. Still, Iíd be shocked if the fallout grabs Izzo. Win enough and most sins are forgiven or ignored.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2018, 12:15:36 pm »

Most certainly have.

Anyone wanting to live in Chicago with the long, cold, dreary winters it has is nuts.

ShadowHawg

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #63 on: May 08, 2018, 12:19:33 pm »

Anyone wanting to live in Chicago with the long, cold, dreary winters it has is nuts.

Depends on the choices. Between that or LR, I take Chicago 11 out of 10 times

hawg66

• Senior
« Reply #64 on: May 08, 2018, 12:21:07 pm »

my son says the same thing about the long hot summers in Arkansas. We should all move to Tahiti 😃

UNCLE BACK

• Senior
  • You're not a gnat are you bug?
« Reply #65 on: May 08, 2018, 12:26:57 pm »

Darius didn't believe the staff at Arkansas was the best to help him improve his stock. He was sour that once Mike started him this past year and he produced, Mike went right back to playing him limited minutes off the bench. He felt like there were a few guys getting more minutes than him that should not have been. The more he thought about it, the madder he got and yes he had some people in his ear but he just felt like he could have helped the team and his own stock way more if Mike had played him a consistent amount of minutes. Playing 21 minutes one game and 8 the next rubbed him the wrong way. I think if Darius would have cooled off for say a month and then sat down with Mike, he would still be here but he was upset and made his mind up quick. He and Gafford have had a bad falling out over it and Daniel has taken it personal that Darius left the program.  This is the information given to me, I really hate that Hall left but we just have to hope it works out well for all parties involved. We will have a fresh set of faces and some Athletic Energized players with a lot to prove next season, I think we will be fun to watch but I am not ready to predict what we will do.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #66 on: May 08, 2018, 01:21:10 pm »

and instead of him getting starter minutes... he will be on the bench watching basketball next season..smh... the people in his ear are the issue..

Hawg Red

« Reply #67 on: May 08, 2018, 02:27:36 pm »

Darius didn't believe the staff at Arkansas was the best to help him improve his stock. He was sour that once Mike started him this past year and he produced, Mike went right back to playing him limited minutes off the bench. He felt like there were a few guys getting more minutes than him that should not have been. The more he thought about it, the madder he got and yes he had some people in his ear but he just felt like he could have helped the team and his own stock way more if Mike had played him a consistent amount of minutes. Playing 21 minutes one game and 8 the next rubbed him the wrong way. I think if Darius would have cooled off for say a month and then sat down with Mike, he would still be here but he was upset and made his mind up quick. He and Gafford have had a bad falling out over it and Daniel has taken it personal that Darius left the program.  This is the information given to me, I really hate that Hall left but we just have to hope it works out well for all parties involved. We will have a fresh set of faces and some Athletic Energized players with a lot to prove next season, I think we will be fun to watch but I am not ready to predict what we will do.

Sad to hear that about him making his mind up so quickly. I think you're right that if he had taken some time and talked to Anderson about it, he'd have seen that he's set up perfectly to play a lot of minutes out on the wing and wouldn't cede really any seniority to anyway. That's all it was. Mike prefers his upperclassmen. He'll probably get a bunch of minutes at DePaul (after he sits out a year) but he could have gotten a lot of attention being paired with an NBA prospect like Daniel Gafford.

Like you said, next man up and we have some good kids coming in like Jordan Phillips that will get to play more now. Phillips could honestly be just as good as Hall (or better), but, obviously, we'd like to have both of them on the team.

draftkings33

• Senior
« Reply #68 on: May 08, 2018, 02:38:34 pm »

He was best friends with Thomas who couldn't keep his nose clean.  He was suspended at least one game I remember.  Probably had never been told what to do in his life.  As far as leaving to improve his NBA stock that seems crazy.  For one we have been developing players pretty well and the other being he has no prayer to play in the NBA. 

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #69 on: May 08, 2018, 03:08:05 pm »

Depends on the choices. Between that or LR, I take Chicago 11 out of 10 times

Bye. Not me.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #70 on: May 08, 2018, 03:11:22 pm »

my son says the same thing about the long hot summers in Arkansas. We should all move to Tahiti 😃

Makes one wonder why Florida basically became a northern state............so many retirees there it might as well be New York, or Boston, etc.

Also itís easier to drive in the summer heat here than the winter cold up north. Ever see older cars up north? All of them are rusted out on the bottom from having all that crap they put on the roads all winter.

ShadowHawg

« Reply #71 on: May 08, 2018, 06:32:48 pm »

Bye. Not me.

Bye? There are only two choices in the world and both are in violent crime ridden cities? Are we in some dystopian future here? That would explain the lousy choices.

In this case, One city has lots of cultural, business, and recreational opportunities and the other offers all the same crime, traffic, congestion, and a fraction of the opportunities.

Since I don't have TB or any other medical condition that would make weather a major factor then I go with the Gardena offering greater opportunity. Should that bother anyone?

ShadowHawg

« Reply #72 on: May 08, 2018, 06:37:17 pm »

Makes one wonder why Florida basically became a northern state............so many retirees there it might as well be New York, or Boston, etc.

Also itís easier to drive in the summer heat here than the winter cold up north. Ever see older cars up north? All of them are rusted out on the bottom from having all that crap they put on the roads all winter.

They prep the roads. Driving isn't a big deal.

You don't see many older cars in metro areas because they don't pass inspection because they can't have cars piling up on the side of the roads from being broken down.

daprospecta

« Reply #73 on: May 08, 2018, 08:15:31 pm »

It hit me a little bit when he decided to transfer. He's a little rock kid and I know how it is to grow up in the rough parts of Little Rock.  I do agree that DH will have a better chance to shine at Depaul, I don't think I could do it especially when the writing was on the wall to be a big part of the program next year.  I wish him the best. 

greasy_corner

« Reply #74 on: May 08, 2018, 09:08:57 pm »

Try to stay on topic.  This is the thread for discussing the finer points of Chicago and LR.

Cinco de Hogo

« Reply #75 on: May 08, 2018, 10:00:18 pm »

They prep the roads. Driving isn't a big deal.

You don't see many older cars in metro areas because they don't pass inspection because they can't have cars piling up on the side of the roads from being broken down.

Ha but you can go to the salvage yards and buy really good engines...you donít even have to unbolt them just kick it a few time and it will fall out.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #76 on: May 08, 2018, 10:48:43 pm »

This is what I said a month ago. When considering the guys who have transferred out(Whitt, Babb, Hall, Jones), the lack of predictability of minutes is a common theme and the theory that makes the most sense. It has to be frustrating. Most teams have predictable rotations. The example I used was Dustin Thomas: one game he had 30 minutes, and the very next game he had 8 minutes. That makes no sense, and it would get into the head of most people (like, what did I do wrong?). Another example from this year would be Gabe O. He went from bench-warmer, to playing a few games and having people singing his praises as the 'x-factor', to disappearing again.

Marshfieldhog

• Hogville.net
« Reply #77 on: May 08, 2018, 10:52:07 pm »

Anderson is a mad scientist when it comes to number of minutes played

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #78 on: May 08, 2018, 10:56:52 pm »

Anderson is a mad scientist when it comes to number of minutes played
Yea, there is no rhyme or reason many times and it's easy to see how guys get frustrated.

However, I also said a month ago it's not like the best players don't get the most minutes. They do. Barford, Macon, Gafford...your 'stars', they're getting plenty of playing time. So we're really talking about the role players, and particularly the younger role players, who have trouble getting into a routine, and staying happy. Mike rides his horses the right amount, I think he could do a better job of keeping the role players happy.

nwahogfan1

« Reply #79 on: May 08, 2018, 11:12:44 pm »

Style of play,  for a coach who he thinks will help prepare him for the League, number of players he will have to compete against at his position,  no longer getting along with his current coaces, DePaul is in the better bb league and better BB cities.   Doesn't get along with current teammates.

hoglady

« Reply #80 on: May 09, 2018, 12:05:05 am »

Too bad for Hall and Arkansas he didn't have more level headed people in his ear - that could look at the situation clearly. Bad decisions are made when emotions rule the day.
What made him mad was really no longer an issue.
Anderson is pretty loyal to his older players - Hall would have had that loyalty next year and had all the minutes he wanted.

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #81 on: May 09, 2018, 08:55:05 am »

WELL BYE

Hogimus Prime

• Roll Out
« Reply #82 on: May 09, 2018, 09:21:33 am »

Too bad for Hall and Arkansas he didn't have more level headed people in his ear - that could look at the situation clearly. Bad decisions are made when emotions rule the day.
What made him mad was really no longer an issue.
Anderson is pretty loyal to his older players - Hall would have had that loyalty next year and had all the minutes he wanted.

MA is loyal to a fault with his older players

mjsphd

« Reply #83 on: May 09, 2018, 09:46:20 am »

You’ve never been there in the winter I guess.................
Yea, UALR. I posted this a while back.
UALR doesn't have the same cachet, but a fresh new start with Darrell Walker, with lots of schollies to give. Hall could be the man next year.
They're also D-1 and were playing in the 2nd Round of the NCAAs just two years ago. There is visibility to be had for Hall if Darrell does a good job.

Does anyone have any info/source that Darrell was interested in signing Hall?  I have not seen or heard anything from folks at UALR that this was the case.  Darrell made it pretty clear to the returning players that he is going to run a tight ship and not put up with much, and that missing classes will not be tolerated.

hoglady

« Reply #84 on: May 09, 2018, 10:03:51 am »

MA is loyal to a fault with his older players

Which would have solved Hall's perceived problems with Anderson going into next year.
What he hated about Anderson in 2017/2018 - he would have loved about Anderson in 2018/2019.

Big Nasty 34

• John 3:16
« Reply #85 on: May 09, 2018, 10:08:39 am »

Style of play,  for a coach who he thinks will help prepare him for the League, number of players he will have to compete against at his position,  no longer getting along with his current coaces, DePaul is in the better bb league and better BB cities.   Doesn't get along with current teammates.

There's only like 5 of them and he's obviously pretty close to CJ, weak excuse. Although most reasons to transfer nowadays are weak excuses.

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #86 on: May 09, 2018, 10:13:04 am »

silliness?? SILLINESS? Like, it's silly to let a serial child molester be your teams doctor then help cover that up? SILLINESS??? Now I KNOW you are a fox news viewer. Daily, huh?

311Hog

« Reply #87 on: May 09, 2018, 10:13:38 am »

There's only like 5 of them and he's obviously pretty close to CJ, weak excuse. Although most reasons to transfer nowadays are weak excuses.

my feeling on this is it started with Thomas, Hall and CJ are probably close with Thomas.  That was a click within the click.  When Thomas got the boot that just started the parade. I am sure all 3 probably complained to each other about their frustrations.  CJ probably made the right call he seemed a bit shook on the bigger stages, Thomas was a role player with a questionable attitude, Hall is really the guy that i think hurt himself here, but he is young and hopefully he learns to cope with disappointment because you can't transfer out of that.

FineAsSwine

• Hogville think tank
« Reply #88 on: May 09, 2018, 10:50:05 am »

Kids are just too pigheaded these days.  ;)

Dominicanhog

« Reply #89 on: May 09, 2018, 11:43:09 am »

DePaul is right next to Millennial Park, within walking distance of the Naval Pier and the Magnificent  Mile. A long way from the mean streets of Chicago.

He's actually at the Lincoln Park campus,, Fullerton and Sheffield.. probably the nicest area in Chicago for a young person.. He should have a great time in Lincoln Park.. I know i did, back in the day...

Dominicanhog

« Reply #90 on: May 09, 2018, 12:10:32 pm »

Haven't been in a while, but Chicago is one of my favorite cities.
I ride the L, walk or take a cab wherever I'm going.
Never had a problem - even when I'm alone.

It's a great city.. and very safe... so much to do and see, and great restaurants.. and one of the best sports towns in the country..

hoglady

« Reply #91 on: May 09, 2018, 12:15:25 pm »

It's a great city.. and very safe... so much to do and see, and great restaurants.. and one of the best sports towns in the country..

Got lucky the last time I was in town a few years back - my daughter and I took the L to Wrigley just to walk around the area - the Cubs weren't in town but just so happened Chicago FD was playing Chicago PD in a charity game. We paid our $5 and watched the game and walked around Wrigley.
It was great.

niels_boar

• Senior
« Reply #92 on: May 09, 2018, 12:17:59 pm »

This is what I said a month ago. When considering the guys who have transferred out(Whitt, Babb, Hall, Jones), the lack of predictability of minutes is a common theme and the theory that makes the most sense. It has to be frustrating. Most teams have predictable rotations. The example I used was Dustin Thomas: one game he had 30 minutes, and the very next game he had 8 minutes. That makes no sense, and it would get into the head of most people (like, what did I do wrong?). Another example from this year would be Gabe O. He went from bench-warmer, to playing a few games and having people singing his praises as the 'x-factor', to disappearing again.

Bench players in college don't get constant minutes hardly anywhere. Their minutes in any game will fluctuate with their play, matchups, the play of the starters, and the foul situation.  Most teams have a few guys that get all the minutes that energy and fouls will allow every game. The supporting cast, especially young players, will have a higher variance in minutes.  There is a reason that they are the supporting cast.

One thing that drove me crazy with Budenholzer with the Atlanta Hawks is that players rotated in and out like clockwork with no regard to how poorly a starter was playing or how well a reserve was playing in an individual game.  In the NBA with 82 games I can see some logic behind it, but you can't do that in college when every game after December is important.  It does not maximize your chances of winning individual games.  Hall played 13 minutes in the win against UF. Is CMA supposed to find 7 or 10 extra minutes for a one-way frosh to keep him happy when the starters are playing very well?  Be careful what you wish for.

Gabe got on the court because of Bailey's illness.  He played very well at times.  CMA tried to use him at Bama, and he didn't respond in that game.  He had 2 TOs and 2 PFs in three minutes.  He got yanked.  We won that game by a bucket.  How long was CMA supposed to stick with him?  Bailey returned to action and had 7 points and 5 rebounds in 13 minutes.  Thomas, who matched up well with physical frontlines, was also playing well when we wasn't in foul trouble.  It was entirely logical how CMA split up the minutes in that game between the PFs.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #93 on: May 09, 2018, 12:33:33 pm »

Bench players in college don't get constant minutes hardly anywhere. Their minutes in any game will fluctuate with their play, matchups, the play of the starters, and the foul situation.  Most teams have a few guys that get all the minutes that energy and fouls will allow every game. The supporting cast, especially young players, will have a higher variance in minutes.  There is a reason that they are the supporting cast.

One thing that drove me crazy with Budenholzer with the Atlanta Hawks is that players rotated in and out like clockwork with no regard to how poorly a starter was playing or how well a reserve was playing in an individual game.  In the NBA with 82 games I can see some logic behind it, but you can't do that in college when every game after December is important.  It does not maximize your chances of winning individual games.  Hall played 13 minutes in the win against UF. Is CMA supposed to find 7 or 10 extra minutes for a one-way frosh to keep him happy when the starters are playing very well?  Be careful what you wish for.

Gabe got on the court because of Bailey's illness.  He played very well at times.  CMA tried to use him at Bama, and he didn't respond in that game.  He had 2 TOs and 2 PFs in three minutes.  He got yanked.  We won that game by a bucket.  How long was CMA supposed to stick with him?  Bailey returned to action and had 7 points and 5 rebounds in 13 minutes.  Thomas, who matched up well with physical frontlines, was also playing well when we wasn't in foul trouble.  It was entirely logical how CMA split up the minutes in that game between the PFs.

Reason why Niels is one of my favorite JB posters and physicists.

hawg66

• Senior
« Reply #94 on: May 09, 2018, 12:54:48 pm »

silliness?? SILLINESS? Like, it's silly to let a serial child molester be your teams doctor then help cover that up? SILLINESS??? Now I KNOW you are a fox news viewer. Daily, huh?
already said I didnít think of that. And you know nothing of my politics and couldnít be more wrong. Why be a jerk? 

hawg66

• Senior
« Reply #95 on: May 09, 2018, 01:14:41 pm »

I think Ďlíll just pray he stays alive in Chi-Town.
This was the post that got me on my soapbox and helped derail the thread. I made several comments about Chicago being a great town and that Hall would be safer at DePaul than at UALR. My comment about being glad Cinco made it out alive was satire. He claims to have roamed the streets of Chicago enough to know traffic patterns and rush hours. Since heís spent what must be a great amount of time there to accomplish all that I satirically said I was glad he survived, since he seemed so worried about Hallís survival. I think most of us know why he thinks Hall is more likely to get shot than him.

I shouldnít attempt satire especially when some jerk will fly in, read one post and start flaming. I apologized for helping derail the thread and tried to help get it back on track. But Iím not gonna let someone misrepresent  me or my views because they canít follow a conversation. Try harder. Or just donít respond.

hawg66

• Senior
« Reply #96 on: May 09, 2018, 01:25:34 pm »

He's actually at the Lincoln Park campus,, Fullerton and Sheffield.. probably the nicest area in Chicago for a young person.. He should have a great time in Lincoln Park.. I know i did, back in the day...
Lincoln Park is great. The zoo is really nice. Small but fun. We stay downtown when we go. Got hooked on Michigan Avenue. My son and his family live in Wrigleyville. Lincoln Park is closer but we love the Magnificent Mile.

hogfan98

• Hogvillian
  • Agree to Disagree
« Reply #97 on: May 09, 2018, 03:24:51 pm »

You should consider reading through the entire conversation before hammering out a response that makes you look like a clown.

HogBreath

« Reply #98 on: May 09, 2018, 04:39:08 pm »

and instead of him getting starter minutes... he will be on the bench watching basketball next season..smh... the people in his ear are the issue..
That is a real head scratcher...already on a much better team, got a lottery pick big guy coming back, and bails on that and has to sit a year?  He could/might have been an all SEC type guy by his junior year.  Just a real dumb stunt, he screwed his self way worse than anyone else.  What a dummy.

hawgfan4life

« Reply #99 on: May 09, 2018, 06:05:22 pm »

What isnít to get.  He screwed up royally and left the team out to dry doing so for no apparently good reason other than bad voices in his head.  Good luck, but good bye.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas