• 396,160 Topics
• 22,374 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Somebody has to explain why a player leaves Arkansas for DePaul.  (Read 10810 times)

Deep Shoat

• All-American Hogvillian
  • The Artist formerly known as Hong Kong Sooey
Re: Somebody has to explain why a player leaves Arkansas for DePaul.
« Reply #100 on: May 09, 2018, 07:19:26 pm »

What isnít to get.  He screwed up royally and left the team out to dry doing so for no apparently good reason other than bad voices in his head.  Good luck, but good bye.
He made a stupid de ision becaus he doesnít trust CMA.

Just like Nick Babb and Jimmy Whitt before him.

CMA screws new players around way too much.  They get no chance to really develop because they have no clue how if they will play, night to night.

Cinco de Hogo

« Reply #101 on: May 09, 2018, 08:06:06 pm »

This was the post that got me on my soapbox and helped derail the thread. I made several comments about Chicago being a great town and that Hall would be safer at DePaul than at UALR. My comment about being glad Cinco made it out alive was satire. He claims to have roamed the streets of Chicago enough to know traffic patterns and rush hours. Since heís spent what must be a great amount of time there to accomplish all that I satirically said I was glad he survived, since he seemed so worried about Hallís survival. I think most of us know why he thinks Hall is more likely to get shot than him.

I shouldnít attempt satire especially when some jerk will fly in, read one post and start flaming. I apologized for helping derail the thread and tried to help get it back on track. But Iím not gonna let someone misrepresent  me or my views because they canít follow a conversation. Try harder. Or just donít respond.

What you do and what a young man like Hall ďmightĒ do are two different things.  In Fayetteville the news you hear about are black men getting shot at apartment complexes.  Hopefully Hall will keep his asz out of apartment complexes in Chicago.  His recent decisions donít look too promising. 

Does that pass for Satire too?

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Leadbelly

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #102 on: May 09, 2018, 08:33:08 pm »

Just maybe he has dumb "Handlers".

BINGO! A lot of kids these days have These ďhandlersĒ, mostly AAU wanna be coaches!

Dominicanhog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #103 on: May 10, 2018, 05:01:31 am »

Got lucky the last time I was in town a few years back - my daughter and I took the L to Wrigley just to walk around the area - the Cubs weren't in town but just so happened Chicago FD was playing Chicago PD in a charity game. We paid our $5 and watched the game and walked around Wrigley.
It was great.

When I was there, we had season tickets but would go to Sluggers or the Cubby Bear for a couple before the game and end up staying and watching on the tube, always a party around the stadium on game days..

Dominicanhog

« Reply #104 on: May 10, 2018, 05:04:43 am »

Lincoln Park is great. The zoo is really nice. Small but fun. We stay downtown when we go. Got hooked on Michigan Avenue. My son and his family live in Wrigleyville. Lincoln Park is closer but we love the Magnificent Mile.

Yeah, great area.. lived next to Bloomingdale's for 10 years..

hawg66

• Senior
« Reply #105 on: May 10, 2018, 07:27:18 am »

What you do and what a young man like Hall ďmightĒ do are two different things.  In Fayetteville the news you hear about are black men getting shot at apartment complexes.  Hopefully Hall will keep his asz out of apartment complexes in Chicago.  His recent decisions donít look too promising. 

Does that pass for Satire too?
Thatís the main point though. Hallí decisions and their consequences are largely independent of what city he might be in when he makes them.

Iíve had no problem with our banter Cinco. We just disagree.

ifghog

« Reply #106 on: May 10, 2018, 07:28:18 am »

o695
Depends on the choices. Between that or LR, I take Chicago 11 out of 10 times
One of my companies home office was in Chicago. I was there 3 days a month for 6 yrs...i have been coast to coast and without question Chicago is my least favorite city. Rather spend a month in Topeka KS....and that place sucks!

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #107 on: May 10, 2018, 08:39:25 am »

One of my companies home office was in Chicago. I was there 3 days a month for 6 yrs...i have been coast to coast and without question Chicago is my least favorite city. Rather spend a month in Topeka KS....and that place sucks!
SHOULDA got out more.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #108 on: May 10, 2018, 09:21:51 am »

Topeka is horrible..lol

liljo

• Senior
« Reply #109 on: May 10, 2018, 09:28:26 am »

Topeka is horrible..lol

I will say this for Kansas...When I roll into that flatland, I can look way to the north...There, those clouds! Why, that's a thunderstorm brewing on the other side of Nebraska, up around Custer, South Dakota!

I just roll that throttle on and keep on riding. It's the only place in the world I've ever dozed off while riding a motorcycle. Some years ago, I rode all the way to Sturgis SD on a bike with tank that was so small I couldn't make it between available stations. I literally had to pack extra fuel. When I'd hit reserve, I could literally see down the road where I was going to run out of fuel.

Yes sir, Kansas...I'd take it over Chicago Illi-Noise ANY day.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #110 on: May 10, 2018, 10:00:43 am »

Hmmm wish I could insert a poll into a thread.

Kansas versus Chicago

hawg66

• Senior
« Reply #111 on: May 10, 2018, 10:47:36 am »

Kansas I guess if you like dust in the wind.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #112 on: May 10, 2018, 11:01:20 am »

I will say this for Kansas...When I roll into that flatland, I can look way to the north...There, those clouds! Why, that's a thunderstorm brewing on the other side of Nebraska, up around Custer, South Dakota!

I just roll that throttle on and keep on riding. It's the only place in the world I've ever dozed off while riding a motorcycle. Some years ago, I rode all the way to Sturgis SD on a bike with tank that was so small I couldn't make it between available stations. I literally had to pack extra fuel. When I'd hit reserve, I could literally see down the road where I was going to run out of fuel.

kansas city... yes... topeka.. no way for me...I reside in NKC.... traveling through kansas is the worst thing ever..btw

k.c.hawg

« Reply #113 on: May 10, 2018, 11:25:13 am »

kansas city... yes... topeka.. no way for me...I reside in NKC.... traveling through kansas is the worst thing ever..btw

I live in Lees Summit. If there was someway to get beamed over to the Colorado state line and skip Kansas altogether......that would be great!!!

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #114 on: May 10, 2018, 11:36:13 am »

I live in Lees Summit. If there was someway to get beamed over to the Colorado state line and skip Kansas altogether......that would be great!!!

Im in the Gladstone area... I have to go through it this weekend to get to Manhattan...lol

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Crazy Times Make Crazy people Crazier!!!!
« Reply #115 on: May 10, 2018, 11:45:19 am »

Im in the Gladstone area... I have to go through it this weekend to get to Manhattan...lol

I have a few friends that live in Happy Rock.

Cinco de Hogo

« Reply #116 on: May 10, 2018, 11:48:17 am »

You rolled into Kansas, thatís better than getting rolled in Chicago.

hawg66

• Senior
« Reply #117 on: May 10, 2018, 12:53:31 pm »

😃

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #118 on: May 10, 2018, 01:19:47 pm »

I have a few friends that live in Happy Rock.

I live about 5 minutes from there.

The_Bionic_Pig

• VICTORY IS MINE!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Orlando, Florida
    • My YOUTUBE profile & vids
« Reply #119 on: May 10, 2018, 02:19:53 pm »

Makes one wonder why Florida basically became a northern state............so many retirees there it might as well be New York, or Boston, etc.

Also itís easier to drive in the summer heat here than the winter cold up north. Ever see older cars up north? All of them are rusted out on the bottom from having all that crap they put on the roads all winter.

This is true....their more NY & Boston fans here than Orlando/Miami/Tampa Bay/Jacksonville etc....pro fans it seems.

Letsroll1200

« Reply #120 on: May 10, 2018, 03:41:11 pm »

He made a stupid de ision becaus he doesnít trust CMA.

Just like Nick Babb and Jimmy Whitt before him.

CMA screws new players around way too much.  They get no chance to really develop because they have no clue how if they will play, night to night.

How did things turn out for Babb and Whitt?

liljo

• Senior
« Reply #121 on: May 10, 2018, 03:58:42 pm »

You bet!  ;D

urkillnmesmalls

• Experience: You get it just after you needed it!
« Reply #122 on: May 10, 2018, 04:34:11 pm »

Exactly...  Their talent was immediately recognized, and they went on to star in college and then get drafted in the early rounds....OH WAIT. 

There hasn't been much discussion from people in the know regarding this subject.  My guess is that it was a combination of things.  I'm betting he thought he is better than he is...which is typical, and he may have very well felt like he was down to his third strike with MA.  After seeing what happened to DT, maybe he felt like he better get out while the getting was good. 

I'm betting he thought he would land in Memphis, but that fell through, and it was scramble time from that point.  I'm betting that no matter where he lands, he thinks he will show everyone, and that he'll reach his potential and be a star in the NBA one day, just like EVERYONE around him told him since he was 14 years old.  Then when things don't go perfectly...lather, rinse, repeat.   

HoopS

« Reply #123 on: May 10, 2018, 08:25:22 pm »

He made a stupid de ision
add a c and delete the other stuff I deleted and youíve got yourself a solid post.

hoglady

« Reply #124 on: May 10, 2018, 10:02:25 pm »

This is true....their more NY & Boston fans here than Orlando/Miami/Tampa Bay/Jacksonville etc....pro fans it seems.

I have 3 cousins from Boston that relocated to Florida and raised their families there.
They were just sick of the NE winters.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #125 on: May 10, 2018, 10:37:21 pm »

This seems to imply either a)they weren't very good and should have never had a scholarship, so who cares if they left b)they wouldn't have turned into good SEC players, and don't care if they left

So, why were they offered in the first place?

If choosing neither a nor b, then it's the thinking they were solid prospects, the type who would have been really good as juniors and seniors, and disappointed to see them go, because it also means having to find someone to replace them with. This is my position. You usually don't want to see guys leave the program.

311Hog

« Reply #126 on: May 10, 2018, 10:39:09 pm »

recruiting is an inexact science.  outside of legit NBA all star 5 star players everyone is a "maybe" and you have no idea how they will react to being in the college life.

Letsroll1200

« Reply #127 on: May 11, 2018, 09:16:50 am »

This seems to imply either a)they weren't very good and should have never had a scholarship, so who cares if they left b)they wouldn't have turned into good SEC players, and don't care if they left

So, why were they offered in the first place?

If choosing neither a nor b, then it's the thinking they were solid prospects, the type who would have been really good as juniors and seniors, and disappointed to see them go, because it also means having to find someone to replace them with. This is my position. You usually don't want to see guys leave the program.

You don't want to see guys leave the program but it's happening all over the country. It's college basketball. Whitt and Babb would have helped the team with quality depth but the Hogs really got better with Barford and Macon.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #128 on: May 11, 2018, 09:32:42 am »

So it's a choice between Whitt/Babb or Barford/Macon? I don't think that's how it works. One does not necessarily preclude the other.

It's not a BIG deal, but it is a deal. There is a pattern of younger players transferring out. When I critique something, it's usually in terms of a pattern and not a one-off. Kinda like the deep funk the Hogs were in this year...the same thing happened last year, there is a pattern there.

Back to transfers, all you're doing is deflecting somewhere else, which is typical, but since you did, I would critique Tubby the same way. Sure, guys are going to transfer. BUT...when you have that many guys become disenchanted and want to leave (and also fan support dwindling), it's time to look in the mirror and see what you may be doing wrong. Too many guys were unhappy at Memphis, you gotta look at Tubby pretty hard. Same thing here...quite a few guys have wanted out, MA may need to re-evaluate what he's doing.

FineAsSwine

• Hogville think tank
« Reply #129 on: May 11, 2018, 11:00:32 am »

Arkansas transfer numbers seem to mirror the overall numbers in D1 to me. According to the NCAA over forty percent of incoming freshmen end up transferring or otherwise not completing their eligibility with the school they chose out of high school.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/research/tracking-transfer-division-i-men-s-basketball
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 11:15:09 am by FineAsSwine »

Cinco de Hogo

« Reply #130 on: May 11, 2018, 11:44:33 am »

Bottom line is Arkansas needs to win with experience vs 5 star One and done players so ANY underclassmen transferring out means we take a hit in experience.  It happens and happens to every program, question is always how you recoover.  We did good with Macon and Barford but did we do as good as Best case scenario.  That can never be answered.

outlawhogeywells

« Reply #131 on: May 11, 2018, 03:11:41 pm »

Maybe Hall could not come back even if he wanted to come back even if Mike wanted him to come back?

Dominicanhog

« Reply #132 on: May 12, 2018, 07:22:08 am »

Arkansas transfer numbers seem to mirror the overall numbers in D1 to me. According to the NCAA over forty percent of incoming freshmen end up transferring or otherwise not completing their eligibility with the school they chose out of high school.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/research/tracking-transfer-division-i-men-s-basketball

Wow, so Mike causes other teams to have a lot of transfers as well, who knew..

Dominicanhog

« Reply #133 on: May 12, 2018, 07:25:26 am »

MA may need to re-evaluate what he's doing.

ha, maybe it's you who needs to re-evaluate...

razorback1829

• Senior
« Reply #134 on: May 12, 2018, 11:18:53 am »

So it's a choice between Whitt/Babb or Barford/Macon? I don't think that's how it works. One does not necessarily preclude the other.

It's not a BIG deal, but it is a deal. There is a pattern of younger players transferring out. When I critique something, it's usually in terms of a pattern and not a one-off. Kinda like the deep funk the Hogs were in this year...the same thing happened last year, there is a pattern there.

Back to transfers, all you're doing is deflecting somewhere else, which is typical, but since you did, I would critique Tubby the same way. Sure, guys are going to transfer. BUT...when you have that many guys become disenchanted and want to leave (and also fan support dwindling), it's time to look in the mirror and see what you may be doing wrong. Too many guys were unhappy at Memphis, you gotta look at Tubby pretty hard. Same thing here...quite a few guys have wanted out, MA may need to re-evaluate what he's doing.

Lol I think Iíll trust MA over anything you conjure up on here. You have ZERO skin in the game. Heís on the ground recruiting and this is his life. Your perspective really doesnít matter.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #135 on: May 12, 2018, 06:47:27 pm »

Lol I think Iíll trust MA over anything you conjure up on here. You have ZERO skin in the game. Heís on the ground recruiting and this is his life. Your perspective really doesnít matter.
That's true.
But then again, neither does your opinion, even though you just gave it anyway.

Deep Shoat

« Reply #136 on: May 12, 2018, 10:32:14 pm »

The question NOT being answered by that data is this: how many of those transfers are the more highly thought of recruits in a given class?

Babb was touted by many as our top guard in his class.

Whitt was the top RECRUIT in his class for Arkansas.

Hall was either 1A or 1B, depending on who you listened to before Gafford blew up.

How many of the 40% are recruits who are very important to the quality of the recruiting class?

The_Bionic_Pig

• VICTORY IS MINE!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Orlando, Florida
    • My YOUTUBE profile & vids
« Reply #137 on: May 12, 2018, 11:17:05 pm »

The question NOT being answered by that data is this: how many of those transfers are the more highly thought of recruits in a given class?

Hall was either 1A or 1B, depending on who you listened to before Gafford blew up.

How many of the 40% are recruits who are very important to the quality of the recruiting class?

So it's no longer about the "AMOUNT* because we'll facts kinda dismissed that argument as a Arkansas only problem....but now it's about quality of player.

Deep Shoat

« Reply #138 on: May 12, 2018, 11:36:02 pm »

So it's no longer about the "AMOUNT* because we'll facts kinda dismissed that argument as a Arkansas only problem....but now it's about quality of player.

To me, itís always been about three things.

Reaches leaving to be replaced by more reaches.

Good, young players leaving because they get inconsistent minutes/development.  ďMike loves veteransĒ.

Holes in the roster because our numbers stay skewed.

MakingPlays

• Varsity
« Reply #139 on: May 12, 2018, 11:49:45 pm »

Just off the topic of my head in our conference I know Auburn, Alabama, Vanderbilt, Mississippi State, and Kentucky all had transfers this year that were either highly rated recruits out of high school or guys that were rotational players.  That's just what I know from seeing stuff on twitter, I'm sure I'm leaving some teams out that's in our conference and I know there's tons of teams throughout the country that lost key players as well, this transfer epidemic is like one of the hottest topics in college basketball right now and it's by no means just a Mike Anderson problem, every coach is dealing with it.  Gregg Marshall is one of the most respected coaches in the nation and he's even having problems stopping kids from transferring from his program.

If you want an exact number to answer the question, you can do the research yourself,  here's a link that shows all the transfers + what school they transferred from +you can sort it by their average star rating from the 3 major sites.  Just by sorting it you can see there were a lot of teams that lost more highly rated players than we did in Hall and Jones. 

https://www.verbalcommits.com/transfers/Melvin%20Morgan

razorback1829

• Senior
« Reply #140 on: May 13, 2018, 12:00:34 am »

That's true.
But then again, neither does your opinion, even though you just gave it anyway.

Glad we agree. So Iíll follow by saying you have no idea what youíre talking about. Respectfully of course.

ShadowHawg

« Reply #141 on: May 13, 2018, 04:18:53 am »

I like how patterns are mentioned while excluding the pattern of being an NCAA tournament team is conveniently not mentioned.

logic

« Reply #142 on: May 13, 2018, 01:13:13 pm »

People move, change jobs, or transfer for all kind of reasons.  It is a good way to gain additional experience or just to try something different.  Every time a player leaves another player comes in and it affects all teams about equally so, in my opinion, it is not a problem.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #143 on: May 13, 2018, 10:32:35 pm »

Glad we agree. So Iíll follow by saying you have no idea what youíre talking about. Respectfully of course.
Yea, I know.
Anyone who doesn't offer up a consistent 'GO MIKE GO!!!' is shot down pretty quick. Been like that for 7 years now.

rtr

« Reply #144 on: May 13, 2018, 10:41:31 pm »

Now those Mickey Mouse ears are affecting your ability to cogitate.

Dominicanhog

« Reply #145 on: May 14, 2018, 07:57:12 am »

Yea, I know.
Anyone who doesn't offer up a consistent 'GO MIKE GO!!!' is shot down pretty quick. Been like that for 7 years now.

but you keep trying anyway...

HoopS

« Reply #146 on: May 14, 2018, 08:41:51 am »

I love when posters who want to always criticize the program get their feelings hurt when fans of the team donít line up and agree with them. 

Deep Shoat

« Reply #147 on: May 14, 2018, 09:19:32 am »

I love when posters who want to always criticize the program coaching get their feelings hurt when fans of the team coach donít line up and agree with them.
fyp

razorback1829

• Senior
« Reply #148 on: May 14, 2018, 09:42:40 am »

fyp

No he had it right the first time.

Cinco de Hogo

« Reply #149 on: May 14, 2018, 10:04:04 am »

People move, change jobs, or transfer for all kind of reasons.  It is a good way to gain additional experience or just to try something different.  Every time a player leaves another player comes in and it affects all teams about equally so, in my opinion, it is not a problem.

Well yeah it creates a problem, one you have to deal with and you donít know if you come out ahead or behind til later.  Hall would have come into next years as one of our top five and having experience in the system.  Nobody, even if they are slightly better can replace that...unless we get a former 5 star sure thing Future NBA player.   Now as to your point, yes maybe so it all works out as far as keeping the status quo but the problem is the status quo isnít exactly what we are looking for.   In no way can you say this helps us get to another level which is what all the bashing and gashing is about.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas