• 9,924,362 Posts
• 399,196 Topics
• 22,881 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Explaining why I think we win more than expected  (Read 7037 times)

Hogindasticks

Re: Explaining why I think we win more than expected
« Reply #150 on: May 13, 2018, 11:59:03 am »

Our defense this year will be vastly improved.  The conditioning by itself will help.  Bringing Caldwell back into the mix is going to help Chavis tremendously.  The overall effectiveness of the defense will be enhanced greatly.  Very happy to see the pieces they have in place for recruiting this year.

The offense will take some work.....it is expected....but like those already posted...i think they will get better with each game.  The team will be salty by the end of the year.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #151 on: May 13, 2018, 04:08:08 pm »

Petrino was coming into a house divided- heck you could say a house that was poisoned.   There were enough players on that team that still liked hn enough that they were running around like they had boat anchors dragging behind them.

Had the whole team gotten behind him from the start he could easily have won a couple more games.

A lot of the players today seemed to have liked BB but since BB didn't have a cult of personality it seems likely that everyone is starting off on the same page. 

It doesn't seem a stretch to think that a 7 or 8 win season is obtainable to me.

Petrino inherited a major rebuilding job. The entire starting offensive backfield left after the 2007 season as did the best starting receiver on the team. They lost a number of players on defense too. That Petrino was able to win 5 games that year was a miracle and speaks of how good a Head coach he was. Chad Morris inherited a FAR better situation than Petrino did.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Mike_e

• All-American Hogvillian
  • May the woo be with you
« Reply #152 on: May 13, 2018, 05:35:32 pm »

Petrino inherited a major rebuilding job. The entire starting offensive backfield left after the 2007 season as did the best starting receiver on the team. They lost a number of players on defense too. That Petrino was able to win 5 games that year was a miracle and speaks of how good a Head coach he was. Chad Morris inherited a FAR better situation than Petrino did.

This is also true.

Al Boarland

• Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #153 on: May 13, 2018, 06:18:29 pm »

Our defense this year will be vastly improved.  The conditioning by itself will help.  Bringing Caldwell back into the mix is going to help Chavis tremendously.  The overall effectiveness of the defense will be enhanced greatly.  Very happy to see the pieces they have in place for recruiting this year.

The offense will take some work.....it is expected....but like those already posted...i think they will get better with each game.  The team will be salty by the end of the year.

I'll have what you're having.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #154 on: May 13, 2018, 06:39:19 pm »

We will see. It is certainly possible. The thing is, Chavis' defense at A&M was known for three things: 1) putting a lot of pressure on opposing QB's, 2) not being particularly good in run defense and 3) not being particularly good in pass coverage defense. You would think that putting a lot of pressure on opposing QB's (#2 in Sacks) would help the pass defense but that wasn't the case for the most part (#85 in passing yards allowed). You would also think that a team that was blitzing and running a lot of games with the front seven might have had more success stuffing the run (#70 in run defense despite being #34 in TFL), but that also wasn't the case.

I think we can all agree that A&M had better talent on defense than we did, but aside from pressuring and sacking QB's, they were little better than us in the other areas of defense. I expect more out of Chavis. He will have to coach harder and better than he did at A&M and try to recruit at least as well. I certainly expect that the 2018 version of the Hogs will put a lot more pressure on opposing QB's and many of us will find that entertaining. But if he can't find a way to produce a more stingy Secondary in terms of pass coverage and be able to depend on his DT's and at least one LB to stuff the inside run, I expect many to be on here whining about a porous Secondary not doing their jobs, and we may be complaining about that anyway.

Chavis may have to do the best job of his career in being a DC to help the Hogs provide a better all-round defense in 2018. I certainly hope that is the case and as a result, wins the Broyles Award for 2018.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 07:06:56 pm by MuskogeeHogFan »

rtr

« Reply #155 on: May 13, 2018, 09:14:19 pm »

We will see. It is certainly possible. The thing is, Chavis' defense at A&M was known for three things: 1) putting a lot of pressure on opposing QB's, 2) not being particularly good in run defense and 3) not being particularly good in pass coverage defense. You would think that putting a lot of pressure on opposing QB's (#2 in Sacks) would help the pass defense but that wasn't the case for the most part (#85 in passing yards allowed). You would also think that a team that was blitzing and running a lot of games with the front seven might have had more success stuffing the run (#70 in run defense despite being #34 in TFL), but that also wasn't the case.

I think we can all agree that A&M had better talent on defense than we did, but aside from pressuring and sacking QB's, they were little better than us in the other areas of defense. I expect more out of Chavis. He will have to coach harder and better than he did at A&M and try to recruit at least as well. I certainly expect that the 2018 version of the Hogs will put a lot more pressure on opposing QB's and many of us will find that entertaining. But if he can't find a way to produce a more stingy Secondary in terms of pass coverage and be able to depend on his DT's and at least one LB to stuff the inside run, I expect many to be on here whining about a porous Secondary not doing their jobs, and we may be complaining about that anywayI

Chavis may have to do the best job of his career in being a DC to help the Hogs provide a better all-round defense in 2018. I certainly hope that is the case and as a result, wins the Broyles Award for 2018.
I am not buying about A&M's talent being that much better than ours, they may have higher ranked classes but that does not tell the whole story.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #156 on: May 13, 2018, 09:37:38 pm »

I think we can all agree that A&M had better talent on defense than we did, but aside from pressuring and sacking QB's, they were little better than us in the other areas of defense. I expect more out of Chavis. He will have to coach harder and better than he did at A&M and try to recruit at least as well. I certainly expect that the 2018 version of the Hogs will put a lot more pressure on opposing QB's and many of us will find that entertaining. But if he can't find a way to produce a more stingy Secondary in terms of pass coverage and be able to depend on his DT's and at least one LB to stuff the inside run, I expect many to be on here whining about a porous Secondary not doing their jobs, and we may be complaining about that anyway.

Sumlin tied Chavis's hands at A&M and Sumlin's suspect offense kept the Defense on the field too long. Chavis stated that Arkansas is the first place he's been since leaving Tennessee where he and the head coach see eye to eye.

Cinco de Hogo

« Reply #157 on: May 14, 2018, 12:11:16 am »

It’s hard to compare teams but according to the scores aTm was a little better than us the last five years.   Both schools have new coaches so that tells you both head coaches were a problem and it’s a fielders choice which one was worse with the talent he had. 

aTm had the better overal record over that time so that also points to better talent and/or the better coach.  Now aTm has the better coach(on paper) and it appears we are playing catch-up on talent. 

CCM has his task cut out for him,  I believe that over time he will prove to be better than Fisher but more importantly a better fit for the program he leads than Fisher will be at aTm.

We have the talent to win the aTm game but it would be an upset by a team that has 100% bought into their coaching staff. 

nchogg

• Senior
« Reply #158 on: May 14, 2018, 07:49:53 am »

Sumlin tied Chavis's hands at A&M and Sumlin's suspect offense kept the Defense on the field too long. Chavis stated that Arkansas is the first place he's been since leaving Tennessee where he and the head coach see eye to eye.
Good point. Another positive is we have Caldwell back and I have always liked him. Now Chavis has always been on the opposite side and good to have him on our side now. I have confidence the defense will get the job done.

jhogg

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #159 on: May 14, 2018, 08:51:08 am »

+1

jhogg

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #160 on: May 14, 2018, 08:52:08 am »

agree 100%

jhogg

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #161 on: May 14, 2018, 09:01:01 am »

Let me be clear about one thing, I harbor no illusions that Morris is on par with Saban as a coach. There are very few on that level. But, I also am simply sick of hearing that our problems start and stop with the kids on the field. We have SEC talent, maybe not from top to bottom, but our 1st 22 are very capable players.

If Craddock and Morris can scheme to get our TE's isolated on a linebacker or manage to set formations that put a safety on a speed receiver, pass on running downs and run on passing downs we can take advantage of the opposing defense. Petrino was a master at doing that, let's hope Morris is too.

With Pulley, Curl, Ramirez and Calloway in coverage I have confidence that Chavis will force the issue and hopefully create discomfort for opposing quarterbacks. Force them to make quicker decisions, throw the ball just a bit sooner than they want to and to generally create a bit of havoc.
I believe we have enough talent on the team this year to make it to a bowl game, this staff will be much better at making halftime adjustments

jhogg

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #162 on: May 14, 2018, 09:06:07 am »

I expect more than the folks that are picking us 13th in the league, it's really not as hard as you think. Lots of posters here think 4 to 5 games is the ceiling, I expect more. Wade to the shallow end of the pool and think about it from a simple point of view.
I see 6 winnable games on the schedule, the 4 OOC games plus vandy and ole miss and I believe we will get a upset win this year

carolinahogger

• Senior
« Reply #163 on: May 14, 2018, 09:14:06 am »

I think you missed the context by shortening the quote. That is the one thing that I think that he does best and yes, he has great potential, in that style of offense.

I didn't miss any context.  You stated that Cole Kelley is a "great" drop back passer.  "Is" = now.  He may be great in the future, but he is far from great now.  He's still wet behind the ears.  I like the kid and think he could possibly be a good to great QB in the future.

Great now?  No way.

Cinco de Hogo

« Reply #164 on: May 14, 2018, 10:17:51 am »

The defense was so depleted that a dL player from Little Rock(I think) was offered a scholarship late and came in and started his first game.  I don’t remember his name but he gave us some pretty good play until he was replaced by better players later in his career at Arkansas.  I salute him!

wildturkey8

« Reply #165 on: May 14, 2018, 01:01:57 pm »

The defense was so depleted that a dL player from Little Rock(I think) was offered a scholarship late and came in and started his first game.  I don’t remember his name but he gave us some pretty good play until he was replaced by better players later in his career at Arkansas.  I salute him!
Zac Stadtler and he did play well.

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I need help with my footwork, too.
« Reply #166 on: May 14, 2018, 02:09:30 pm »

I am not sold that Arkansas has players that are of the quality that some services say we did. However, if this coming season the Hogs win 6 or more games and do not play weak non-conf opponents down to the wire, I will agree that player quality is better than we thought and it was the terrible job that the head coach and his staff did that ran the program into the pile of pig manure.

Here's what we are facing:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2017/02/03/conference-breakdown-college-football-recruiting-classes/97422242/

Arkansas is 10th in the SEC and 6th in the West over the last five years in average recruiting ranking, less than a full spot above Mississippi State.  Based on those rankings alone, Arkansas would finish 6-6 in 2018.  Of course, games don't always go according to recruiting rankings.

The frustrating thing for Arkansas players, coaches and fans is that Arkansas is 25th overall in average recruiting ranking over the last five years.  That's not bad.  With five P5 conferences, that's about 5th on average.  The reality is that all P5 conferences aren't created equal.  Arkansas would be third in the Big 12, fourth in the ACC and Big 10, and fifth in the Pac 12.

Arkansas's average recruiting ranking over the last five years is one reason I believe this team is better than many give it credit for being.  I believe 2015 and the first half of 2016 are more indicative of the level of talent on the roster.  It is anybody's guess as to what happened at Auburn in 2016, but the team has not been the same mentally since.  With a new coaching staff, a lot of talented leadership in the junior and senior classes, and a schedule that gives the team time to get its feet under it, the mental element could flip.  That may be all this team needs to look again like a team that recruits with the best 25 in the country.   

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #167 on: May 14, 2018, 04:03:28 pm »

Zac Stadtler and he did play well.

He did indeed but the Point Cinco and I were making is still valid.

OLEJACKETFAN

« Reply #168 on: May 14, 2018, 08:29:28 pm »

Keeping it simple. Arkansas should start out 3 & 0. After 6 games, Arkansas will probably be 3 & 3.  Although I believe they may very well beat the Aggies. So 4/2 is a strong possibility. After 2 more games the Hogs will be no worse than 4 & 4. Possibly 5 & 3. Win a couple more and the Hogs finish 6 or 7 wins! I just cant see it any worse than this!

HoginMemphis

« Reply #169 on: May 14, 2018, 10:52:22 pm »

Keeping it simple. Arkansas should start out 3 & 0. After 6 games, Arkansas will probably be 3 & 3.  Although I believe they may very well beat the Aggies. So 4/2 is a strong possibility. After 2 more games the Hogs will be no worse than 4 & 4. Possibly 5 & 3. Win a couple more and the Hogs finish 6 or 7 wins! I just cant see it any worse than this!
4-2 is a weak possibility, not a strong one. And of course you just can't see it any worse than 5 or 6 wins. You couldn't see that before last season either yet the Razorbacks did it, winning only 4 games. And they were 2 plays away from going 2-10. Should have lost to both Ole Miss and CC.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #170 on: May 15, 2018, 06:44:58 am »

4-2 is a weak possibility, not a strong one. And of course you just can't see it any worse than 5 or 6 wins. You couldn't see that before last season either yet the Razorbacks did it, winning only 4 games. And they were 2 plays away from going 2-10. Should have lost to both Ole Miss and CC.

With that favorable schedule, anything less than 6 wins would be under performing. As bad as Bret was, this team would win at least 6 games if he and his staff were still here.

HoginMemphis

« Reply #171 on: May 15, 2018, 08:27:35 am »

With that favorable schedule, anything less than 6 wins would be under performing. As bad as Bret was, this team would win at least 6 games if he and his staff were still here.
How many seasons out of 5 did Bret win 6 or more games at Arkansas? In the SEC West, I don't know how any year could ever have a "favorable schedule".

Coming off a 4 win season with a senior QB. And it was a season that was 2 plays away from being a 2 win season. If less than 6 wins this season, I would not consider it underperforming.

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #172 on: May 15, 2018, 08:32:14 am »

I guess it depends on what you consider strong possibility.

ESPN' game predictor gives Arkansas a 24.5% chance to beat A&M, which sounds low to me, given that 3 of the last 4 games have gone to OT. Christian Kirk was the key to A&M's last two OT wins.  He's gone.  Arkansas returns just about everyone but Austin Allen and Frank Ragnow.  The Hogs hold a 41-30-3 series lead even though the Aggies have won 6 straight.  A&M is 19 in ESPN's preseason FPI.  Arkansas is 54, in spite of having the 25th best average recruiting class of the last five years.  The Aggies are always preseason media darlings, and with Jimbo Fisher it will be worse.  Clemson and Alabama will beat the Aggies up, and they'll limp into Dallas from Tuscaloosa 2-2.  Arkansas will roll to three early season wins (Game Predictor gives Colorado State a 21% chance against the Hogs) before heading to Auburn, where they usually play well, 2016 being a drastic exception.  The Tigers get Washington in Atlanta to start the season and LSU at home the week before the Razorbacks.  Arkansas/Auburn is no upset special, but if a 2-2 A&M faces a 3-1 Arkansas in Dallas, that one is.  The key may be John Chavis.  He knows A&M's tendencies and soft spots, while just about every other coach on both sides is new. 

Alabama is Alabama.  Again.

I think this is the year the ball bounces Arkansas's way in Dallas.  We start 4-2.

GoHogs1091

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #173 on: May 15, 2018, 07:20:48 pm »

Having Caldwell and Cooper will make the Defensive Ends play and the Secondary play be fundamentally sound.

Chavis will also help greatly with the Linebacker play being fundamentally sound.

Provided we don't have any injuries at the Defensive Tackle position, where we don't have significant depth, this upcoming season's Razorback defense has the potential of being a top 5 defense in conference, with only Alabama, Georgia, Auburn, and LSU having a better defense.

Al Boarland

« Reply #174 on: May 15, 2018, 07:40:00 pm »

Having Caldwell and Cooper will make the Defensive Ends play and the Secondary play be fundamentally sound.

Chavis will also help greatly with the Linebacker play being fundamentally sound.

Provided we don't have any injuries at the Defensive Tackle position, where we don't have significant depth, this upcoming season's Razorback defense has the potential of being a top 5 defense in conference, with only Alabama, Georgia, Auburn, and LSU having a better defense.

Watch out for MS St.

rhames

« Reply #175 on: May 15, 2018, 07:43:06 pm »

Watch out for MS St.

South Carolina too. They will have a solid defense. Florida will have players like they always do. I'm not sure we go from the bottom, to near bottom, to top 5 in one year.

Will be interesting to see what A&M looks like in defense, too.

Al Boarland

« Reply #176 on: May 15, 2018, 07:48:20 pm »

I'm not sure we go from the bottom, to near bottom, to top 5 in one year.

I feel confident that won't happen. These guys aren't miracle workers and we don't even know if they will get the job done.

GoHogs1091

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #177 on: May 15, 2018, 07:50:11 pm »

Watch out for MS St.

South Carolina too. They will have a solid defense. Florida will have players like they always do. I'm not sure we go from the bottom, to near bottom, to top 5 in one year.

Will be interesting to see what A&M looks like in defense, too.

I might be incorrect, but I don't think Mississippi State, South Carolina, Florida, and Texas A&M have as good of a Linebacker as Greenlaw and as good of a Cornerback as Pulley.

We really are in a good spot by having Greenlaw and Pulley.  They give Chavis a lot to work with regarding how he will want to scheme our defense.

rhames

« Reply #178 on: May 15, 2018, 07:56:25 pm »

I might be incorrect, but I don't think Mississippi State, South Carolina, Florida, and Texas A&M have as good of a Linebacker as Greenlaw and as good of a Cornerback as Pulley.

We really are in a good spot by having Greenlaw and Pulley.  They give Chavis a lot to work with regarding how he will want to scheme our defense.

2 players. Pulley is an all sec cb, no doubt but it will take 11 solid starters to finish top five. I'd say all of those schools have more talent and/or experience than we do right now.

I think in 2 or 3 seasons we will be in a completely different situation. Just going to take some time.

Al Boarland

« Reply #179 on: May 15, 2018, 08:01:37 pm »

2 players. Pulley is an all sec cb, no doubt but it will take 11 solid starters to finish top five. I'd say all of those schools have more talent and/or experience than we do right now.

I think in 2 or 3 seasons we will be in a completely different situation. Just going to take some time.

MS St's Leo Lewis is right there with Greenlaw. They also have some really good DL.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #180 on: May 15, 2018, 08:05:22 pm »

MS St's Leo Lewis is right there with Greenlaw. They also have some really good DL.

Really good execution at the DT position makes good LB's look even better than "good". It gives them greater freedom to make plays in space.

Al Boarland

« Reply #181 on: May 15, 2018, 08:08:36 pm »

Really good execution at the DT position makes good LB's look even better than "good". It gives them greater freedom to make plays in space.

Combine execution with top end talent and you might just have yourself a good D. 

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #182 on: May 15, 2018, 08:15:54 pm »

Combine execution with top end talent and you might just have yourself a good D. 

That's great and sounds good and all, but we have to work with what we have at this time. We aren't devoid of talent at DT. We just may not be as deep in talented and experienced players as we need to be at this time. Same for LB. Time will tell. Chavis now knows the hand he has been dealt. We will see how well he schemes to cover any potential deficiencies based on field position, down and distance and play call.

Al Boarland

« Reply #183 on: May 15, 2018, 08:20:19 pm »

That's great and sounds good and all, but we have to work with what we have at this time. We aren't devoid of talent at DT. We just may not be as deep in talented players as we need to be at this time. Same for LB. Time will tell. Chavis now knows the hand he has been dealt. We will see how well he schemes to cover any potential deficiencies based on field position, down and distance and play call.

I'm a little concerned about his ability to scheme against  the spread O's combined with the typical recruiting classes.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #184 on: May 15, 2018, 08:28:34 pm »

I'm a little concerned about his ability to scheme against  the spread O's combined with the typical recruiting classes.

I'm not as concerned as some of you. The last few years at A&M have been a learning experience for Chavis. He knows that he doesn't have the same level of talent available to him at Arkansas as he had at LSU or A&M. I think he also knows that this may be the greatest challenge to his coaching ability that he has faced in many years. I also think that this is Chavis' last stop as a DC and he doesn't impress me as a guy who wants to go out being less than at the top of his game. I think he is motivated. We will probably see the best he has to offer as a DC. How good that will be remains to be seen, but the man knows a lot of football. He has probably forgotten more than many of us know. We will see how capable he is of translating that to the troops.

Al Boarland

« Reply #185 on: May 15, 2018, 08:36:31 pm »

he doesn't impress me as a guy who wants to go out being less than at the top of his game.
They rarely do...

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #186 on: May 15, 2018, 08:39:50 pm »

They rarely do...

Selective quotes designed to fit the opinion/agenda.

Al Boarland

« Reply #187 on: May 16, 2018, 04:47:28 am »

Selective quotes designed to fit the opinion/agenda.

You made a post as if you have intimate knowledge of CJC's state of mind. Yes, I pulled out one of your statements and pointed out that most times they do not go out on a high note.

I said before I am skeptical he can get the job done. So, it's definitely an opinion. You're right about that.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #188 on: May 16, 2018, 05:17:28 am »

You made a post as if you have intimate knowledge of CJC's state of mind. Yes, I pulled out one of your statements and pointed out that most times they do not go out on a high note.

I said before I am skeptical he can get the job done. So, it's definitely an opinion. You're right about that.

Making a post and stating an opinion, as in "I think" or "I believe" is different than stating something like "I know for a fact" or "Chavis told me", which might indicate more of an intimate knowledge of what Chavis is thinking. Come on Al, that's a stretch, even for you.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #189 on: May 16, 2018, 08:56:01 am »

I was originally a bit skeptical of Chavis myself.....until I went to the spring game. I was pleasantly surprised at how well the #1 and #2 defenses played in that game considering the fact that they'd only had 12 practices and the 2 players most likely to start at DT this year didn't play. Unlike the last 2 years, it was obvious that the Defensive players had totally bought in to what Chavis and his defensive assistants were selling.

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #190 on: May 16, 2018, 09:11:49 am »

I'm not as concerned as some of you. The last few years at A&M have been a learning experience for Chavis. He knows that he doesn't have the same level of talent available to him at Arkansas as he had at LSU or A&M. I think he also knows that this may be the greatest challenge to his coaching ability that he has faced in many years. I also think that this is Chavis' last stop as a DC and he doesn't impress me as a guy who wants to go out being less than at the top of his game. I think he is motivated. We will probably see the best he has to offer as a DC. How good that will be remains to be seen, but the man knows a lot of football. He has probably forgotten more than many of us know. We will see how capable he is of translating that to the troops.

John Chavis has coached defense in the SEC longer than Arkansas has been a member.  He will go down as one of the greatest defensive coordinators in the history of college football.  He has not forgotten how to coach.  Tennessee (i.e. - Jim Haslam) screwed up royally when it fired Phil Fulmer after a loss to South Carolina in 2008.  The Vols had no offense that year, but Tennessee finished third in the country in total defense.  Tennessee held LSU to two offensive TDs in a 21-14 loss in the 2007 SEC Championship game.  Les Miles wasted no time hiring Chavis away from Tennessee, where he continued to lead top-ranked defenses year after year.

Chief doesn't share the low opinion of Arkansas football so common on this board.  He's excited to be here and knows Arkansas is a great football program.  He thinks he can help make the Razorbacks great on the field again, at least that's what he told me in early January on a recruiting visit.  He knows the history of the program because has seen it himself.  He has beaten Arkansas more than Arkansas has beaten him, but he's lost to us, too, and we have usually played him tough.  He has genuine respect for Razorbacks football and is excited to be here.

Arkansas may have more talent on defense than many think.  Experience everywhere.  If these guys can stay healthy and start having fun attacking, this could be a very good year defensively.  Defense is sort of like pitching or golf.  When you start aiming it is when you get in trouble.  Chavis has always let his defenses tee off, and that could be a good thing.

RedSkiesAtNightHog

« Reply #191 on: May 16, 2018, 09:26:05 am »

I guess it depends on what you consider strong possibility.

ESPN' game predictor gives Arkansas a 24.5% chance to beat A&M, which sounds low to me, given that 3 of the last 4 games have gone to OT. Christian Kirk was the key to A&M's last two OT wins.  He's gone.  Arkansas returns just about everyone but Austin Allen and Frank Ragnow.  The Hogs hold a 41-30-3 series lead even though the Aggies have won 6 straight.  A&M is 19 in ESPN's preseason FPI.  Arkansas is 54, in spite of having the 25th best average recruiting class of the last five years.  The Aggies are always preseason media darlings, and with Jimbo Fisher it will be worse.  Clemson and Alabama will beat the Aggies up, and they'll limp into Dallas from Tuscaloosa 2-2.  Arkansas will roll to three early season wins (Game Predictor gives Colorado State a 21% chance against the Hogs) before heading to Auburn, where they usually play well, 2016 being a drastic exception.  The Tigers get Washington in Atlanta to start the season and LSU at home the week before the Razorbacks.  Arkansas/Auburn is no upset special, but if a 2-2 A&M faces a 3-1 Arkansas in Dallas, that one is.  The key may be John Chavis.  He knows A&M's tendencies and soft spots, while just about every other coach on both sides is new. 

Alabama is Alabama.  Again.

I think this is the year the ball bounces Arkansas's way in Dallas.  We start 4-2.

This was a fun post to read!  I am so tired of losing to Texas A$M!  You have clearly painted a potential path to victory over the Aggies!  I still get sad when I think back on the Dan Skipper trip.  We win that game and the A$M streak probably never happens!

Cinco de Hogo

« Reply #192 on: May 16, 2018, 10:19:22 am »

John Chavis has coached defense in the SEC longer than Arkansas has been a member.  He will go down as one of the greatest defensive coordinators in the history of college football.  He has not forgotten how to coach.  Tennessee (i.e. - Jim Haslam) screwed up royally when it fired Phil Fulmer after a loss to South Carolina in 2008.  The Vols had no offense that year, but Tennessee finished third in the country in total defense.  Tennessee held LSU to two offensive TDs in a 21-14 loss in the 2007 SEC Championship game.  Les Miles wasted no time hiring Chavis away from Tennessee, where he continued to lead top-ranked defenses year after year.

Chief doesn't share the low opinion of Arkansas football so common on this board.  He's excited to be here and knows Arkansas is a great football program.  He thinks he can help make the Razorbacks great on the field again, at least that's what he told me in early January on a recruiting visit.  He knows the history of the program because has seen it himself.  He has beaten Arkansas more than Arkansas has beaten him, but he's lost to us, too, and we have usually played him tough.  He has genuine respect for Razorbacks football and is excited to be here.

Arkansas may have more talent on defense than many think.  Experience everywhere.  If these guys can stay healthy and start having fun attacking, this could be a very good year defensively.  Defense is sort of like pitching or golf.  When you start aiming it is when you get in trouble.  Chavis has always let his defenses tee off, and that could be a good thing.

Your bringing really good stuff to the board keep it up and you may rank up there with Biggus and Musk although all of you are different.

wildturkey8

« Reply #193 on: May 16, 2018, 10:43:19 am »

This was a fun post to read!  I am so tired of losing to Texas A$M!  You have clearly painted a potential path to victory over the Aggies!  I still get sad when I think back on the Dan Skipper trip.  We win that game and the A$M streak probably never happens!
Beating them would cure a lot that ails us.

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #194 on: May 16, 2018, 11:13:04 am »

Beating them would cure a lot that ails us.

We've out-Aggied the Aggies during this 6-game losing streak.  I don't care what recruiting gurus or infatuated media or mealy-mouthed Hogs fans say - Arkansas has always been as good or better as a program than Texas A&M, and it still is.   

HeathWimp

• AKA "Frank's Slap Rendition Camp"
« Reply #195 on: May 16, 2018, 11:21:04 am »

If Morris wins 5 or more games this year, he should be SEC Coach of the Year.  All the Bielema Boys crow about his supposedly great recruiting classes, but I don't buy it.  We have a handful of talented players at positions like TE, but virtually no one of SEC caliber at LB, DL, and other positions.  If looked at objecitively, Bielema's recruiting sucked.

Chavis is a decent coach, but he's not going to have much to work with.  The build-up to his hire also left a lot of people with a bad taste in their mouths.

I still maintain that we should have hired Kiffin or Norvell, and hoped that their offenses would allow us to outscore people.  Maybe Morriss's offenses will put up enough points to do that, but I have my doubts. 

I see 4 wins this year.

Al Boarland

« Reply #196 on: May 16, 2018, 11:31:28 am »

Making a post and stating an opinion, as in "I think" or "I believe" is different than stating something like "I know for a fact" or "Chavis told me", which might indicate more of an intimate knowledge of what Chavis is thinking. Come on Al, that's a stretch, even for you.

I think he also knows that this may be the greatest challenge to his coaching ability that he has faced in many years.
I also think that this is Chavis' last stop as a DC and he doesn't impress me as a guy who wants to go out being less than at the top of his game.
I think he is motivated.
We will probably see the best he has to offer as a DC. How good that will be remains to be seen, but the man knows a lot of football.
He has probably forgotten more than many of us know.

^ Apparent opinions

The last few years at A&M have been a learning experience for Chavis.
He knows that he doesn't have the same level of talent available to him at Arkansas as he had at LSU or A&M.

^ Appearance of intimate knowledge

If that's not the case I'll take the post in its entirety as opinion and apply the proper amount of credence to its validity.

HogPharmer

« Reply #197 on: May 16, 2018, 11:56:35 am »

Your bringing really good stuff to the board keep it up and you may rank up there with Biggus and Musk although all of you are different.

How do you know they aren't all the same person?

JimmyJohnsonsBoat

• Band Nerd
« Reply #198 on: May 16, 2018, 12:38:15 pm »

We've out-Aggied the Aggies during this 6-game losing streak.  I don't care what recruiting gurus or infatuated media or mealy-mouthed Hogs fans say - Arkansas has always been as good or better as a program than Texas A&M, and it still is.   

I disagree, a team beating us 6 years in a row is pretty definitive proof to me that they are currently the better program.

HogPharmer

« Reply #199 on: May 16, 2018, 02:34:30 pm »

I disagree, a team beating us 6 years in a row is pretty definitive proof to me that they are currently the better program.

I’d argue that we beat ourselves at least 3 of those 6 years...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas