• 396,432 Topics
• 22,588 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Explaining why I think we win more than expected  (Read 6793 times)

lakecityhog

Explaining why I think we win more than expected
« on: May 05, 2018, 02:53:01 pm »

I really believe that MOST people here would agree that the Razorback football team has under-performed over the last 2 seasons(especially the 16-17 season). Last year was just total chaos!

I don't think that a team goes into Virginia Tech's backyard and takes a 20 point+ lead at the half with inferior talent. We went to Missouri and built a 20+ point lead and NEVER scored again, probably not a talent issue. Last year at Miss State  we were up 14-0 in the 1st quarter and only scored once more in a "smaller" collapse, but still a loss.
For the past 4 years we have taken Texas A&M into the 4th quarter either tied or with a lead only to squander the game at the last minute.

Our issues with being competitive have NOT been talent, but solid coaching when things go south. Now, let me say for those that have you either win it all or you are a loser, we don't have Alabama talent.(how many really do?) We may not have the talent to win the SEC or even the SEC West right now, but we have had the talent to be a whole lot closer than we were.

I think/believe that with Chavis with DC that our defense will be MUCH better than in previous years. They will be better because the players will believe in what they are doing. They will be better because we will utilize the talent that we have better than in the past. They will be better because the Head Coach won't hamstring the DC. They will be better because we will force the offense to react to us rather than the other way around.

Offensively we will be better because we will continue to score at EVERY opportunity. We will be better because of a better scheme. We will be better because we have a coaching staff that knows how to mask deficiencies better. We will be better because we have a coaching staff that will game plan to create mismatches that give US the edge.

In short we will be better because we have a better Head Coach.

The NewEra

• All-American Hogvillian
  • New Era
Re: Explaining why I think we win more than expected
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 03:05:22 pm »

We will also be better because they will know that they are physically and mentally prepared and they are allowed to have fun.  Those kids playing of defense this year will have a blast.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I need help with my footwork, too.
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 03:25:19 pm »

You're right.

Arkansas was not a bad football team last year, at least not where talent was concerned.  They suffered key injuries early and found themselves in a downward spiral after losing three winnable games against TCU,  A&M and South Carolina.  The schedule set up for disaster from there out.  At times it seemed the players were demoralized, and the empty stands didn't help against MSU and Missouri.  Still, the team, especially the seniors, played hard those last two games.

Arkansas returns a lot of talent and experience in 2018.  The schedule sets up for early momentum and confidence.  Chad Morris has made a career out of tailoring his offense to utilize his best weapons.  John Chavis's record speaks for itself.  His knowledge of A&M's personnel may be the difference in a game where Arkansas is due.

By the end of 2017, the Razorbacks seemed to have become a team that expected bad things to happen.  Bad breaks have a way of evening out over time.  2018 could be a year when the ball bounces Arkansas's way.  If the players believe that, there's a good chance it will.

liljo

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 03:33:21 pm »

Encouraging post. I know one thing--me and mine will be pulling hard for 'em. All I ask is they play hard from the opening kick to the final whistle.

Go Hogs!

alohawg

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 04:01:41 pm »

I'm cautiously optimistic, hoping for the best.

Cinco de Hogo

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2018, 04:11:26 pm »

You're right.

Arkansas was not a bad football team last year, at least not where talent was concerned.  They suffered key injuries early and found themselves in a downward spiral after losing three winnable games against TCU,  A&M and South Carolina.  The schedule set up for disaster from there out.  At times it seemed the players were demoralized, and the empty stands didn't help against MSU and Missouri.  Still, the team, especially the seniors, played hard those last two games.

Arkansas returns a lot of talent and experience in 2018.  The schedule sets up for early momentum and confidence.  Chad Morris has made a career out of tailoring his offense to utilize his best weapons.  John Chavis's record speaks for itself.  His knowledge of A&M's personnel may be the difference in a game where Arkansas is due.

By the end of 2017, the Razorbacks seemed to have become a team that expected bad things to happen.  Bad breaks have a way of evening out over time.  2018 could be a year when the ball bounces Arkansas's way.  If the players believe that, there's a good chance it will.

I agree with everything you and the OP said except one thing and if we could go back five years we would find my post predicting a problem.  I’m not going to name names it’s a broader isssue and the issue lays at the feet of the former coach.  When you recruit the way he did and your politics are what they were you get the results I predicted.  What i’m Going to say is that a start to fixing this problem is with the selection of Captions.  I hope CCM take on that role for the time being, again for reason I won’t get into.  I’m thinking and hoping that a favorable outcome would be winning close games, staying in the game to the end and win, lose or draw, the players are responding to the challenge til the last second counts off the clock.

That takes a level of leadership from the coaches but also within the team that has obviously been lacking.

Bacons Rebellion

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2018, 04:53:38 pm »

You expect us to win more than expected.

I'm deeply pondering on that and I don't think that can work out no matter how many we win.

lakecityhog

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2018, 04:58:32 pm »

Let me be clear about one thing, I harbor no illusions that Morris is on par with Saban as a coach. There are very few on that level. But, I also am simply sick of hearing that our problems start and stop with the kids on the field. We have SEC talent, maybe not from top to bottom, but our 1st 22 are very capable players.

If Craddock and Morris can scheme to get our TE's isolated on a linebacker or manage to set formations that put a safety on a speed receiver, pass on running downs and run on passing downs we can take advantage of the opposing defense. Petrino was a master at doing that, let's hope Morris is too.

With Pulley, Curl, Ramirez and Calloway in coverage I have confidence that Chavis will force the issue and hopefully create discomfort for opposing quarterbacks. Force them to make quicker decisions, throw the ball just a bit sooner than they want to and to generally create a bit of havoc.

hog of steele

• Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2018, 05:06:04 pm »

I am not going to pretend to be a taken expert. I don't really know much about that. What makes sense to me is that we need different kinds of players for CCM than we did for BB. I cannot imagine that our roster looks anything like what we need it to.

Malzahn was a genius at bending his offense to fit his tools. I hope CCM has some of that. If not, it might be another hard season.

lakecityhog

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2018, 05:13:21 pm »

I'm deeply pondering on that and I don't think that can work out no matter how many we win.

I expect more than the folks that are picking us 13th in the league, it's really not as hard as you think. Lots of posters here think 4 to 5 games is the ceiling, I expect more. Wade to the shallow end of the pool and think about it from a simple point of view.

arlhog

• Varsity
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2018, 05:38:56 pm »

Here is why we won't:

We don't have the players to do it.

The players are starting a completely new system on both sides of the ball.

I think it gets better by year 2 or 3 but history says we struggle this year. 

I will gladly eat crow in November as I hope I am wrong.   But I just don't see it happening.

jgphillips3

• Life is too short for bad beer.
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2018, 05:58:19 pm »

This won’t be 2010 or 2011 but it won’t be any of the utterly craptastic Bielema teams either.  Worst coach in modern Razorback history.  This team should win 7 and could easily win 8.  9 is pretty much a hard cap the next couple of seasons but if we recruit at a good level while installing the system, we could be back to 2010 type seasons by 2020.

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2018, 06:08:33 pm »

Here is why we won't:

We don't have the players to do it.

The players are starting a completely new system on both sides of the ball.

I think it gets better by year 2 or 3 but history says we struggle this year. 

I will gladly eat crow in November as I hope I am wrong.   But I just don't see it happening.

Keep this handy:

Hawgphat

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2018, 06:24:08 pm »

When preseason expectations are deemed by the pundits to be low to moderate, that leaves a significant margin for optimism towards overachieving the limited expectations.  That prospect is heartening for me.  I see that glass as half-full.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2018, 06:31:34 pm »

Let me be clear about one thing, I harbor no illusions that Morris is on par with Saban as a coach. There are very few on that level. But, I also am simply sick of hearing that our problems start and stop with the kids on the field. We have SEC talent, maybe not from top to bottom, but our 1st 22 are very capable players.

With Pulley, Curl, Ramirez and Calloway in coverage I have confidence that Chavis will force the issue and hopefully create discomfort for opposing quarterbacks. Force them to make quicker decisions, throw the ball just a bit sooner than they want to and to generally create a bit of havoc.

I'm not concerned about the offense. It may take some time to get them to the execution level that Morris wants from this team, but eventually they will get better and I wouldn't be surprised if we average 420 yds/gm this season when it is all said and done.

I'm also not concerned about whether or not we will scheme to bring more pressure up front. How successful we will be at that remains to be seen but it will be a better and more effective effort than last season and that is a positive.

What I am concerned about is the scheming, execution and effectiveness of coverage packages in the Secondary.

Last year we gave up an average of 242.2 passing yds/gm. Opposing QB's averaged 28.8 attempts to 17.1 completions (59.2%) which isn't great, but their yds/attempt were 8.4 yds and yds/completion were 14.2 yds which for the QB's, was pretty good. That means we gave up some pretty big plays in the Secondary. We also only snagged 8 INT's all season (1 in every 43 passing att). The lack of pressure up front didn't help with us logging just 19 sacks last season (1 in every 18.2 passing att).

Our Secondary Coach Ron Cooper came with Chavis from A&M and his crew last year (though mostly youthful) allowed 237.6 passing yds/gm on 31.8 attempts to 19 completions for 7.5 p/att and 12.5 p/compl with just 10 INT's all season. One would think that with the pressure provided up front by the A&M defense last season who had 43 sacks (1 in every 9.6 passing att) that it might have helped the Secondary to a greater degree, but that didn't seem to be the case.

So, I will await the results on the field in the Secondary before I get too amped up about our chances for 2018, but I do agree that we have enough talent right now to win 6-7 games and maybe 8 if we create some breaks for ourselves at key moments.

rtr

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2018, 06:47:42 pm »

I really believe that MOST people here would agree that the Razorback football team has under-performed over the last 2 seasons(especially the 16-17 season). Last year was just total chaos!

I don't think that a team goes into Virginia Tech's backyard and takes a 20 point+ lead at the half with inferior talent. We went to Missouri and built a 20+ point lead and NEVER scored again, probably not a talent issue. Last year at Miss State  we were up 14-0 in the 1st quarter and only scored once more in a "smaller" collapse, but still a loss.
For the past 4 years we have taken Texas A&M into the 4th quarter either tied or with a lead only to squander the game at the last minute.

Our issues with being competitive have NOT been talent, but solid coaching when things go south. Now, let me say for those that have you either win it all or you are a loser, we don't have Alabama talent.(how many really do?) We may not have the talent to win the SEC or even the SEC West right now, but we have had the talent to be a whole lot closer than we were.

I think/believe that with Chavis with DC that our defense will be MUCH better than in previous years. They will be better because the players will believe in what they are doing. They will be better because we will utilize the talent that we have better than in the past. They will be better because the Head Coach won't hamstring the DC. They will be better because we will force the offense to react to us rather than the other way around.

Offensively we will be better because we will continue to score at EVERY opportunity. We will be better because of a better scheme. We will be better because we have a coaching staff that knows how to mask deficiencies better. We will be better because we have a coaching staff that will game plan to create mismatches that give US the edge.

In short we will be better because we have a better Head Coach.

I will look for improvement even if we don't win.  Just like Petrino's first year, you could see the offense developing.  I am cautious on the side of mild pessimissm but you may just be right.

rtr

BoynamedWooPigSooie

• 5x National Champions 1909, '64, '65, '77, 2010*
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2018, 08:59:04 pm »

8 wins my friend.

Now if we can't get acceptable QB play all that goes out the window but I'm optimistic that this team plays with a different mentality and those games that they pissed away in the past become wins like they should have been.

Al Boarland

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2018, 09:03:45 pm »

That's a solid post, OP. All those things can be true and the record may come up short of optimistic predictions. I think 6 wins is about right. We will be facing some talented QB's this season. Probably more talent at that position than in a good while.

BILLYBOB

• Be Kind
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2018, 09:21:43 pm »

I hope the OP is right. I really do. I will cheer louder than anyone. But I think you all should be bracing yourselves for a very tough season. The team that went 4-7 last year returns 15 starters...and the recruiting class we added is ranked 49th in the country. Nothing with our personnel shouts winner. The new coach has a losing record at his last schooL. In addition to all of that, we are fundamentally changing our offense from smash-mouth to spread. And we’re breaking in a new QB. It’s a rebuild. Gonna take a couple of years. I like Morris. I hope he is succcessful. Time will tell.

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2018, 09:22:07 pm »

8 wins my friend.

Now if we can't get acceptable QB play all that goes out the window but I'm optimistic that this team plays with a different mentality and those games that they pissed away in the past become wins like they should have been.

Enos’s Big 10 system required an experienced QB who could go through progressions, step up in the pocket, and deliver the ball into a tight window. All we need this year is a QB who makes the right reads and is a threat to make a first down himself on third and reasonably short. He will have the talent around him to move the chains. Big plays will come while defenses try to stop us from moving the chains.

arlhog

• Varsity
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2018, 09:28:21 pm »

That crow didn't even look bad at all.   I might eat that no matter what.     

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2018, 09:44:59 pm »

I hope the OP is right. I really do. I will cheer louder than anyone. But I think you all should be bracing yourselves for a very tough season. The team that went 4-7 last year returns 15 starters...and the recruiting class we added is ranked 49th in the country. Nothing with our personnel shouts winner. The new coach has a losing record at his last schooL. In addition to all of that, we are fundamentally changing our offense from smash-mouth to spread. And we’re breaking in a new QB. It’s a rebuild. Gonna take a couple of years. I like Morris. I hope he is succcessful. Time will tell.

This kind of superficial thinking is why the 5.5 o/u is low hanging fruit.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 10:28:55 pm by bphi11ips »

HogBreath

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2018, 10:01:35 pm »

we are fundamentally changing our offense from smash-mouth to spread.

There was some talk about that smash mouth thingey, but that's all it was, just talk.  Not that radical of a transition we're facing.

lakecityhog

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2018, 10:39:35 pm »

I really want someone to explain to me what players that we don't have for the "Morris" system.
We have 2 quarterbacks that can throw the ball. We have running backs that can run the ball. We have receivers that can catch the ball and a couple of them can also run pretty fast. We have a receiver that is 6'4" and is pretty darned fast.We have tight ends that can catch the ball, run the ball and block like a fullback. So what are we missing?

Could we use more speed? SURE, couldn't everybody? Could we use a better QB? Yep, most teams would love to upgrade at QB. But, we have guys to fill every position and fill those positions pretty well.

Defensively, we have 2 SEC level linebackers, a corner that is as good as any in the league, a safety that would play for 80% of the SEC and 2 young guns that got some great experience last year. We possibly have a returning 6th year player to help the DB's.
On the D"Line we have several returning starters/part-time starters and lots of experience. We have a ton of speed/quickness along the line with guys like Agim, Ramsey, Bell, Taylor and Richardson. Then guys like Capps, Marshall, Smith Watts and Guidry for the BEEF! Then we also have the #1 Juco pass rusher coming in this fall.

WE ARE NOT A TEAM WITHOUT TALENT.

Sed76

• Hogvillian
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2018, 11:53:34 pm »

I just hope to see a team that plays hard all 4 quarters and does fold like a cheap tent at the first sign of adversity. Play hard and let's see what happens.

Pudgepork

• Horse Racings most unlikely champ
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2018, 10:10:35 am »

I have no idea what the other sec teams have coming back.   With that said, im very happy aubie lost their rbs, bama lost ridley and a&m lost kirk.

I think this hog team has talent.  I believe they will start the season in much better physical condition.

Any improvement on the offensive side is a wait and see.   

I think its a 100% given that this will be a much better defensive team.  That alone would have won several games last year.   If the offense can produce enough to give the defense some rest, this defense will be fun to watch   

I think the offense should be clicking along ok by game 4 but i expect some football follies moments for at least the first few games

theFlyingHog

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2018, 11:14:43 am »

I am not going to pretend to be a taken expert. I don't really know much about that. What makes sense to me is that we need different kinds of players for CCM than we did for BB. I cannot imagine that our roster looks anything like what we need it to.

Malzahn was a genius at bending his offense to fit his tools. I hope CCM has some of that. If not, it might be another hard season.
One might argue that the roster is not very bad for CCM’s scheme: Everything was a disaster under BB so maybe HE didn’t have what he needed on the roster to run HIS scheme and by accident or laziness or whatever one wants to blame it on, BB left a roster more fit to CCM’s scheme than his own. Spitballing here, we’ll find out in a few months

LAHogfan123

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2018, 11:35:34 am »

We will also be better because they will know that they are physically and mentally prepared and they are allowed to have fun.  Those kids playing of defense this year will have a blast.

This ^^^^!!!   More than anything else, our maligned defense has been picked on for several years now despite having some very good players come and go.  We still have some good players on defense, we just haven’t had the right coaches teaching these players.  This upcoming season, these players are going to be allowed to do things they've been itching to do since they were signed, play and have fun in an exciting active defense that gets after the quarterback.

Al Boarland

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2018, 12:10:30 pm »

I think its a 100% given that this will be a much better defensive team.

It's really not. How many people said the same thing going into last season? There are no givens.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 03:16:33 am by Al Boarland »

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2018, 12:57:22 pm »

I'm not concerned about the offense. It may take some time to get them to the execution level that Morris wants from this team, but eventually they will get better and I wouldn't be surprised if we average 420 yds/gm this season when it is all said and done.

I'm also not concerned about whether or not we will scheme to bring more pressure up front. How successful we will be at that remains to be seen but it will be a better and more effective effort than last season and that is a positive.

What I am concerned about is the scheming, execution and effectiveness of coverage packages in the Secondary.

Last year we gave up an average of 242.2 passing yds/gm. Opposing QB's averaged 28.8 attempts to 17.1 completions (59.2%) which isn't great, but their yds/attempt were 8.4 yds and yds/completion were 14.2 yds which for the QB's, was pretty good. That means we gave up some pretty big plays in the Secondary. We also only snagged 8 INT's all season (1 in every 43 passing att). The lack of pressure up front didn't help with us logging just 19 sacks last season (1 in every 18.2 passing att).

Our Secondary Coach Ron Cooper came with Chavis from A&M and his crew last year (though mostly youthful) allowed 237.6 passing yds/gm on 31.8 attempts to 19 completions for 7.5 p/att and 12.5 p/compl with just 10 INT's all season. One would think that with the pressure provided up front by the A&M defense last season who had 43 sacks (1 in every 9.6 passing att) that it might have helped the Secondary to a greater degree, but that didn't seem to be the case.

So, I will await the results on the field in the Secondary before I get too amped up about our chances for 2018, but I do agree that we have enough talent right now to win 6-7 games and maybe 8 if we create some breaks for ourselves at key moments.

A big part of the defensive secondary problems last year was Cameron Curl being forced to start as a Freshman when he wasn't ready due to Pulley's injury AND he played out of position. It was noticeable in the spring when Curl was quickly moved to safety when the new defensive coaching staff took over. Having Pulley back at CB and Cameron playing safety where he belongs will make a big difference back there.

Pudgepork

• Horse Racings most unlikely champ
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2018, 01:03:59 pm »

It's really not. How many peoppensaidnthe same thing going into last season. There are no givens.

In case you havent noticed, there is a much improved coaching staff.  And a head coach who believes in conditioning instead of girth.   Search hard to find negatives out of that.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2018, 01:19:20 pm »

A big part of the defensive secondary problems last year was Cameron Curl being forced to start as a Freshman when he wasn't ready due to Pulley's injury AND he played out of position. It was noticeable in the spring when Curl was quickly moved to safety when the new defensive coaching staff took over. Having Pulley back at CB and Cameron playing safety where he belongs will make a big difference back there.

You mean this guy? http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/roster/kamren-curl/

I was raising more questions in my post than one true freshman being forced to play early. But to address the point that you cite, he was forced to play early because we didn't have a deeper level of talent. This is one thing that some of us continue to bring up as a reason for our lack of success in the past. We face a lot of teams in the West each year that are pretty doggone good in their two deep, even some that are good three deep. Finding good players hasn't been our problem most of the time. Finding them two and three deep has been our problem.

Aside from my concerns about being able to produce a better pass coverage defense in the Secondary with the coaches that we have (yet to be seen), mature, developed and therefore quality depth at all positions, is yet another area of concern. I believe we have talent, I'm just not sure how well developed and matured they may be at this point.

3Scoreand10

• Varsity
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2018, 04:17:27 pm »

I am not an expert either, but I see the players on this team more in line with what CCM needs than what BB needed.  I think BB tried to force players into roles they were not suited for.  Most of these kids played in a spread offence in high school, not BB type of offence.
BB was trying to force square pegs  into round holes and that never works.
I really think we will be surprised and happy with the way these kids perform under this choaching staff.

Hollywood870

« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2018, 04:37:14 pm »

If Craddock and Morris can scheme to get our TE's isolated on a linebacker or manage to set formations that put a safety on a speed receiver, pass on running downs and run on passing downs we can take advantage of the opposing defense. Petrino was a master at doing that, let's hope Morris is too.

i'm afraid our QB play isn't that good or "Good Enough"

Al Boarland

« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2018, 07:25:25 pm »

In case you havent noticed, there is a much improved coaching staff.  And a head coach who believes in conditioning instead of girth.   Search hard to find negatives out of that.

I've noticed people have convinced themselves of those things. It's yet to be determined.

Al Boarland

« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2018, 07:27:44 pm »

You need versatility in the defensive backfield. There are going to be injuries. It's very rare for a team to make it through a season without guys getting banged up. That's why depth is so critical.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 07:50:36 pm by Al Boarland »

Cinco de Hogo

« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2018, 07:48:23 pm »

You mean this guy? http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/roster/kamren-curl/

I was raising more questions in my post than one true freshman being forced to play early. But to address the point that you cite, he was forced to play early because we didn't have a deeper level of talent. This is one thing that some of us continue to bring up as a reason for our lack of success in the past. We face a lot of teams in the West each year that are pretty doggone good in their two deep, even some that are good three deep. Finding good players hasn't been our problem most of the time. Finding them two and three deep has been our problem.

Aside from my concerns about being able to produce a better pass coverage defense in the Secondary with the coaches that we have (yet to be seen), mature, developed and therefore quality depth at all positions, is yet another area of concern. I believe we have talent, I'm just not sure how well developed and matured they may be at this point.

If we found good players most of the time we would be two or three deep, finding them infrequently leads to little depth.  However every single recruiting cycle we are told by the self proclaimed experts on message boards that all our recruits are great.  Three, four, five years of recruiting and no depth tells the truth.  However I think we got some great players, LOL!

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2018, 08:02:49 pm »

If we found good players most of the time we would be two or three deep, finding them infrequently leads to little depth.  However every single recruiting cycle we are told by the self proclaimed experts on message boards that all our recruits are great.  Three, four, five years of recruiting and no depth tells the truth.  However I think we got some great players, LOL!

If you had read what you quoted you would have seen that I believe that we need to find more quality players to fill out the 2 and 3 deeps across the board. And yes, I do believe that we have signed some really good players in the Secondary but as I said, I don't think that they have developed to the point (at this time) where they can perform and execute consistently at higher levels. By the way, how many different DC's have we had over the last 5-10 years?

goodguytex

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2018, 06:56:48 am »

Only way we are going to win more is to not be 1 dimensional. And the coaching decisions in key moments has to be better too. By 1 dimensional I mean offense is good but defense and special teams are horrible. We have to get defense and special teams better as well. Special teams seemed to have been badly neglected the last four years. And defense was mostly bad. We will not see success in the SEC unless we can at least get better than average in those 2 areas.

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2018, 08:07:26 am »

I am more optimistic as we go into summer.

HF#1

« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2018, 08:41:29 am »

The injection of enthusiasm that comes with a new coach and coaching staff is always good for the program and more often than not, it is needed that first year.

NaturalStateReb

• Czar of Arkansas
  • Administrator
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2018, 01:10:15 pm »

The thing that worries me the most about this team is that there isn't a solid QB on campus.  Fixer-uppers?  Maybe, but no one on this squad (at least yet) would start at QB for most opposing teams.  Was really surprised they didn't pull out the stops for a JUCO QB.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2018, 01:33:29 pm »

The thing that worries me the most about this team is that there isn't a solid QB on campus.  Fixer-uppers?  Maybe, but no one on this squad (at least yet) would start at QB for most opposing teams.  Was really surprised they didn't pull out the stops for a JUCO QB.

That's probably because they expect Cole Kelley to be solid once time for the first game rolls around. There are still many practices left between now and then so we'll see.

lakecityhog

« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2018, 03:54:09 pm »

You mean the guy that led us to a win AT Ole Miss isn't very good in your opinion? Aren't you glad we didn't play Ole Miss with a "good" QB???

razorbackfaninar

• Senior
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2018, 04:25:01 pm »

I have to disagree with this.  What kind of different play-makers do we nee?   Speedy running backs?  We have those, two of them.  Bruising running backs?  We have two of those too.  Big physical fast tight ends.  We have those.  Big fast physical receivers? We have at least one of those in Martin, but we have a lot of receivers that are fast.  I don't see what is missing that Morris will need to run his offense.  As long as he can bring along Storey or Kelley and get them up to speed, then he should have everything he needs to be competitive.   

phadedhawg

« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2018, 06:00:32 pm »

I'm preparing for a tough season, it's not that hard to do, by the end of 2017 i was numb.  Often times you see a roster play with renewed spark when a new coach comes to town.  Houston Nutt in 1998 is a good example, but that team had some really good pieces in place. 

I expect 4-8 campaign and anything over 6-6 will be considered a great success by me.  I'm trying to keep my expectations in check until I see how Morris fairs in the SEC.  Here's hopin'

hog of steele

• Hogvillian
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2018, 06:19:09 pm »

I have to disagree with this.  What kind of different play-makers do we nee?   Speedy running backs?  We have those, two of them.  Bruising running backs?  We have two of those too.  Big physical fast tight ends.  We have those.  Big fast physical receivers? We have at least one of those in Martin, but we have a lot of receivers that are fast.  I don't see what is missing that Morris will need to run his offense.  As long as he can bring along Storey or Kelley and get them up to speed, then he should have everything he needs to be competitive.

The way I see it in my admittedly inexpert opinion is that the problem isn't with main guys. It will be roster construction. If the system is supposed to run 50% more plays we need depth in different places. Different kinds of guys and different numbers of the various positions.

I could be wrong maybe BB accidently built a spread roster instead of a prostyle roster. But that would be a strange and fortuitous failure in our favor.

RyanMallettsEgo

• No, no, no, don't think of it as work.
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2018, 06:21:24 pm »

I'm preparing for a tough season, it's not that hard to do, by the end of 2017 i was numb.  Often times you see a roster play with renewed spark when a new coach comes to town.  Houston Nutt in 1998 is a good example, but that team had some really good pieces in place. 

I expect 4-8 campaign and anything over 6-6 will be considered a great success by me.  I'm trying to keep my expectations in check until I see how Morris fairs in the SEC.  Here's hopin'

I pretty much agree. I think 5-7 is doable, but I agree, making a bowl this year will be a great sign.

Just my crappy opinion, but I'd rather expect 5 and get 7 rather than expect 7 and get 5. That's why so many on here act like the world's on fire when they don't hit their expectation of 8 games in year one.

But it is year one. I expect some lumps, but I could also be pleasantly surprised. Who knows.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2018, 07:05:17 pm »

I pretty much agree. I think 5-7 is doable, but I agree, making a bowl this year will be a great sign.

Just my crappy opinion, but I'd rather expect 5 and get 7 rather than expect 7 and get 5. That's why so many on here act like the world's on fire when they don't hit their expectation of 8 games in year one.

But it is year one. I expect some lumps, but I could also be pleasantly surprised. Who knows.

I think that the mental aspect is the most important point in how well we will do in 2018. 5 of our last 10 losses (extending back to the last part of the 2016 season) should have been wins. In that span we also got our ears pinned back by S. Carolina, Alabama, Auburn and LSU and truly, S. Carolina wasn't the better team, though they were that day and as for the other 3, no way we should have been beaten as badly as we were and a lot of that (my opinion) had more to do with the 6 inches between the ears of the team at the time than a lack of ability. You could go all the way back to the Auburn game in 2016 and say that the attitude and mental toughness might have been lost in that particular game and continued to rear its head at times from that point forward.

Building the mental toughness of a team is the hardest part and if never achieved, every time you hit that wall of adversity, you'll choose to think back to that which has happened in the past and fold, instead of bowing your neck and fighting back.

Yes, timing, scheming, conditioning and execution on both sides of the ball are vital, but if you can't achieve mental toughness in the face of adversity, you'll likely never overcome the odds and win out when things get tough. You'll never learn to "close" when you have an opponent down, as we have witnessed so many times in the recent past.

The offense should be better, so should the defense, but if the team doesn't believe and find their mental toughness, they may not do any better than in the past. This will be the biggest challenge that Morris will face with this team. JMO
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas