• 394,714 Topics
• 22,261 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: How would you close the talent gap with schools like Bama/LSU/GA  (Read 2800 times)

ChitownHawg

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Head Hog coaching from above now.
Re: How would you close the talent gap with schools like Bama/LSU/GA
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2018, 07:26:39 pm »

The only way it will ever happen is if a concerted effort is made to improve Arkansas high school football.  We will never out recruit the established elite teams and home teams for out of state talent.  Just a 10% increase in SEC quality talent in our state would be huge.  One more superstar per year, think what that would do, but we can do better.

Anyone who thinks CCM doesn’t know this hasn’t considered the why of his work with all those high school coaches.

This

Also having the scheme that fits our instate recruits help. Look what the Triplets did for CBP.

Hogball58

• Bench Warmer
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2018, 08:52:40 pm »

Hogs need one of them qbs what runs with the football. That's it. The talent is there. Go Hogs

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Dumb ole famrboy

• Senior
  • Your site for Razorback news.
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2018, 06:53:18 am »

Scourer the 300,000,000 million population of Eastern Europe for exceptional raw athletic talent and with 5 years to play 4 - see if you can develop some football players. The world's population stands @ 7.5 billion - certainly there has to be some exceptional untapped football talent in the pool of the 7.1 billion people that live outside the United States.

tusksincolorado

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Sid "The Squid" Moncrief...Super Sid!
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2018, 08:56:42 am »

While everyone will have their own opinion on how to do this, there is only one true way to do so with these top teams like Alabama, Ohio State, Auburn, Georgia, Florida State, Oklahoma, etc.  Simply put, it's to do what they do but more so, and that's to cheat.  I'm actually against all cheating and not wanting our university to cheat, just stating that the only way we'll ever compete for the SEC Championship or National Championship is to cheat.  We haven't been close to competing for one since Holtz led us to victory over the Sooners in the Orange Bowl, I don't see us competing for one in the next decade either.

If this is to happen, this would be the very best time for it too.
new offense this mask the influx of talent.
new defensive philosophy to cover up the hoodlums.
an uptick in attendance.
new coaches at every position.
a new administration with a Texas blind eye.
new facilities and upgrades.

Heck the field could not be more fertile.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2018, 09:06:00 am »

If this is to happen, this would be the very best time for it too.
new offense this mask the influx of talent.
new defensive philosophy to cover up the hoodlums.
an uptick in attendance.
new coaches at every position.
a new administration with a Texas blind eye.
new facilities and upgrades.

Heck the field could not be more fertile.

I would guess that the boosters, money people, etc won't utilize many of the tactics used by many of our SEC competitors but I do give this staff an "A" for effort as we have 213 offers out for 2019 right now. How well we will do remains to be seen but this is a really active staff in recruiting and they aren't shying away from going after the 5 and 4 stars that everyone else is chasing as well. Hat's off to this staff for effort alone.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 09:22:26 am by MuskogeeHogFan »

CFB_Fanatic

• Senior
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2018, 09:36:10 am »

Seems like if we stop playing in WMS and play all the games in the palace of the SEC in Fayetteville the problem will take care of itself  ???

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I need help with my footwork, too.
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2018, 09:40:59 am »

Here’s an article with opinions on how Clemson turned into a powerhouse:  http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college/article182761836.html

That’s the way Arkansas and Chad Morris plan to do it.

rlamb

« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2018, 01:57:49 am »

Buying players, aka Jimmy Johnson, Barry Switzer and etc. Steroids, aka Nebraska
in the 60's thru 2000's. A different meaner attitude with the players aka the 60's=70's.
I know I'll get "disliked" for this but it is the real truth!

Al Boarland

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2018, 04:41:16 am »

I would guess that the boosters, money people, etc won't utilize many of the tactics used by many of our SEC competitors but I do give this staff an "A" for effort as we have 213 offers out for 2019 right now. How well we will do remains to be seen but this is a really active staff in recruiting and they aren't shying away from going after the 5 and 4 stars that everyone else is chasing as well. Hat's off to this staff for effort alone.

You can get away with shady stuff when it comes in state kids. However, when you start trying to do it with out of state kids you'll can quickly find the NCAA at your door.

jkstock04

« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2018, 07:10:32 am »

5-10 if what program put in serious effort? The Hogs? Just how much do you think they can do at the HS level?
The Hogs/boosters something along those lines assuming it's legal via NCAA. Pump  resources with the university stamp on it  Into some kind of program that gets kids involved in sports at an early age...learning things the correct way and most importantly making sure they don't fall through the cracks. Make it about guidance and resources in general to get more kids involved and making them better athletes.

Make this a state wide thing, but I would put a special emphasis on places like Little Rock and Ft Smith. Zero reason why those districts aren't putting out more legit SEC athletes.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.
« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2018, 08:05:44 am »

The Hogs/boosters something along those lines assuming it's legal via NCAA. Pump  resources with the university stamp on it  Into some kind of program that gets kids involved in sports at an early age...learning things the correct way and most importantly making sure they don't fall through the cracks. Make it about guidance and resources in general to get more kids involved and making them better athletes.

Make this a state wide thing, but I would put a special emphasis on places like Little Rock and Ft Smith. Zero reason why those districts aren't putting out more legit SEC athletes.

They'd have to put $ everywhere or risk alienating people, you know like with not taking the Hogs on the road to LR for games ( but I digress ).

As for FS and LR, there are MANY reasons they are not putting out more legit SEc athletes. In LR, the atmosphere is terrible for getting kids involved and keeping the involved once they get to JRHS/HS. IN FS, the players just are not there. I have a kid in FS, just finishing up JRHS. The athletic talent just is not there right now, and it has nothing to do with involvement or lack there of.

ArkansasI

• '89 & '92
« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2018, 08:35:55 am »

Primarily with upper classmen.

NaturalStateReb

• Czar of Arkansas
  • Administrator
« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2018, 09:12:19 am »

If you were hired as HC, how would you look to close the talent gap with the top of the SEC? And you can't just say " recruit Texas " because everyone is recruiting Texas.

Arkansas isn't ever going to close this talent gap.

The problem here is geography.  Louisiana, Alabama, and Georgia are right in the heart of prime recruiting territory, basically strung along the Gulf Coast states.  Toss in the fact that Arkansas itself has low population density and produces relatively little high D-1 talent of its own on an average year, and the problem gets bigger.  When you further add in the attraction that schools like LSU, Alabama, and Georgia have to most recruits, it's probably just a gap that's always going to be there.

That doesn't mean that there's no hope, or that Arkansas can't ever compete.  What it does mean is that Arkansas isn't going to be able to go toe-to-toe with these guys each and every year.  To me, that's not that big of a deal.  I think Arkansas can be poised to make a serious run every three to five years, while have ok (6 wins) to good years (9 wins) in the interim years.  Here's how I think they've got to do it:

*Run a system that helps offset depth disadvantages
*Pick up nearly all the in-state high D-1 talent
*Send out offers early and often--Bielema sent out fewer offers than most SEC West coaches and tended to make those offers later.  If you're Arkansas, you can't be 20th in line.  You've got to be 1st or 2nd in line. 
*Be more active on the JUCO trail--you can't build a program using mostly JUCO players, but getting good ones from time to time in weak spots can make the difference.  Arkansas is adjacent to two well-developed JUCO areas in Mississippi and Kansas.
*Sign more QBs in an effort to always have a strong QB in the pipeline, even if it means getting them from JUCOS; if they don't pan out, encourage transfers.  QB quality has been a major problem.
*Focus on key blue chippers.  If you can get one, you raise the chances of getting others, especially if your one is in a skill position.
*You don't have to have top 10 or 12 classes annually to be successful; if you have one every three years on average, you'll be in good shape.
*I know you said don't say "recruit Texas," but they have to recruit stronger in East Texas.  Arkansas has to have an extremely strong recruiting presence in the I-30 corridor
*Extend recruiting up the I-49 corridor up to Kansas City

You can't outrecruit places like LSU, Alabama, and Georgia.  It's not going to happen.  They'll always have more recruits.  What that means is that Arkansas' recruiting has to be more efficient.  That is, the recruits you sign have to have a higher likelihood of becoming contributors.  In the end, it's not how many players you sign, it's about how many make on-the-field contributions.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #63 on: May 08, 2018, 10:11:32 am »

Primarily with upper classmen.
I've made points about geography as well as others, more fertile recruiting grounds elsewhere, etc.

But this point is also true (have upperclassmen) and here is the REASON why it is true:
You would always want to have the most talented player available.
However, there are times due to maturation that a senior or 5th year senior can be just as good as the more precocious freshman.
Many overuse the phrase 'player development' as if a coach is just waving a magic wand and doing something hands-on to 'develop' these players.
What really happens is a) a player physically matures a great deal between age 18-23 and b) a player in the same system for five years will naturally become much more comfortable in the playbook and just feel at ease with the 'speed of the game'. He simply knows what he's doing more
I was the same way when I played. My senior year, there was nothing magical going on, I just felt more comfortable in my own skin and had more confidence. And not a big guy, but had a slight physical advantage of the younger guys.

Brandon Allen is my go-to example. He was a 3-star QB coming in, but by his fifth year in 2015, he was playing like a 5-star QB and the offense was humming that year. He really played well. Not saying coaches don't do anything, at all, but this 'development' happens largely on its own course.

So, yes, having a lot of upperclassmen can level the playing field versus teams that recruit more star power, sometimes. (although not a lock even then you can beat star-loaded teams like Bama and LSU, and definitely not consistently)

havok

« Reply #64 on: May 08, 2018, 10:55:54 am »

Consistency is required over time...won't happen overnight (Unless you go the Ole Miss/Hugh Freeze method of violations of all rules to sign the top players).

1.  Consistency in Quality of coaching.. (Can't replace a Coach Pittman with what came after him) .

2.  Consistency is Offensive/Defensive structure & game plan. (Can't jump from Spread to double TE/between the tackles offense, or 4-3 to 3-4 and back and forth or tinkering..) - Which focuses you on recruiting players who Fit what you are doing.

3.  Consistency of Winning. (the 2-3 year cycle of peeks and valleys hurts) Consistent winning shows a program fully on the upswing, and not a flash in the pan every couple years, then back down to average or lower the other years.  Creating long term planning/excitement by recruits who will see coming here means winning and more each season...a 4-5 year investment means success.  Each year increasing the level/quality and number of top recruits who sign.

4.  Consistency on the field.  Can't have these games where the other teams get to set their school record books, in various game aspects (Well the ones that are good for them and bad for us).  I sure got tired of seeing the NFL draft and nearly half the Highlights of drafted players on other SEC teams, were against us. 

5.  Consistency of High level players being drafted into the NFL. (This going a decade without a 1st round Pick stands out).  The University of Arkansas should be heard MORE often when announcing players names at the Draft, during games..etc..

mhsbc59

• "Cause thats how I Role"
« Reply #65 on: May 08, 2018, 11:42:23 am »

Consistency is required over time...won't happen overnight (Unless you go the Ole Miss/Hugh Freeze method of violations of all rules to sign the top players).

1.  Consistency in Quality of coaching.. (Can't replace a Coach Pittman with what came after him) .

2.  Consistency is Offensive/Defensive structure & game plan. (Can't jump from Spread to double TE/between the tackles offense, or 4-3 to 3-4 and back and forth or tinkering..) - Which focuses you on recruiting players who Fit what you are doing.

3.  Consistency of Winning. (the 2-3 year cycle of peeks and valleys hurts) Consistent winning shows a program fully on the upswing, and not a flash in the pan every couple years, then back down to average or lower the other years.  Creating long term planning/excitement by recruits who will see coming here means winning and more each season...a 4-5 year investment means success.  Each year increasing the level/quality and number of top recruits who sign.

4.  Consistency on the field.  Can't have these games where the other teams get to set their school record books, in various game aspects (Well the ones that are good for them and bad for us).  I sure got tired of seeing the NFL draft and nearly half the Highlights of drafted players on other SEC teams, were against us. 

5.  Consistency of High level players being drafted into the NFL. (This going a decade without a 1st round Pick stands out).  The University of Arkansas should be heard MORE often when announcing players names at the Draft, during games..etc..

So basically be a top 10 program cause that's what you described.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #66 on: May 08, 2018, 12:06:59 pm »

I've made points about geography as well as others, more fertile recruiting grounds elsewhere, etc.

But this point is also true (have upperclassmen) and here is the REASON why it is true:
You would always want to have the most talented player available.
However, there are times due to maturation that a senior or 5th year senior can be just as good as the more precocious freshman.
Many overuse the phrase 'player development' as if a coach is just waving a magic wand and doing something hands-on to 'develop' these players.
What really happens is a) a player physically matures a great deal between age 18-23 and b) a player in the same system for five years will naturally become much more comfortable in the playbook and just feel at ease with the 'speed of the game'. He simply knows what he's doing more
I was the same way when I played. My senior year, there was nothing magical going on, I just felt more comfortable in my own skin and had more confidence. And not a big guy, but had a slight physical advantage of the younger guys.

Brandon Allen is my go-to example. He was a 3-star QB coming in, but by his fifth year in 2015, he was playing like a 5-star QB and the offense was humming that year. He really played well. Not saying coaches don't do anything, at all, but this 'development' happens largely on its own course.

So, yes, having a lot of upperclassmen can level the playing field versus teams that recruit more star power, sometimes. (although not a lock even then you can beat star-loaded teams like Bama and LSU, and definitely not consistently)

I was talking to a former mlb player last week. We were talking about player development. He said the difference in HS coaches and college coaches is that HS develop a players skills and work habits, they teach them how to do things. College coaches, by and large, tweak what the players already know how to do. At least at the d1 level, they are not recruiting players that they have to teach how to play the game. He also was talking about the physical change. When he got to college, he was 6'1" 165, when he was a jr, the yr he got drafted, he was 6' 2" 210.

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #67 on: May 08, 2018, 12:14:40 pm »

Jr College and walk ones.

jkstock04

« Reply #68 on: May 08, 2018, 01:47:11 pm »

They'd have to put $ everywhere or risk alienating people, you know like with not taking the Hogs on the road to LR for games ( but I digress ).

As for FS and LR, there are MANY reasons they are not putting out more legit SEc athletes. In LR, the atmosphere is terrible for getting kids involved and keeping the involved once they get to JRHS/HS. IN FS, the players just are not there. I have a kid in FS, just finishing up JRHS. The athletic talent just is not there right now, and it has nothing to do with involvement or lack there of.
$$$, time, politics, and mucho resources would be involved in what I'm talking about. A state like ours closing the talent gap like you are speaking of has never been done that I know of. To do so is going to require more so than doing the same exact thing over and over expecting different results.

I disagree with you about Fort Smith. Over the past 10 years there have been no telling how many kids fall through the cracks. No guidance, bad grades, and probably not even finishing school. Kids that with a different upbringing no telling what they could've been. I'm sure that type of thing happens everywhere, but that's not what we are talking about here. We are talking about how to maximize talent. Ignoring this stuff because it happens everywhere isn't the long term answer.

How do we 99% maximize the talent within the state? What I'm passively suggesting is at least an idea. Little Rock is a mess. The things you speak of there is what needs cleaned up. That's an example of what I'm talking about.

Or hell, let's keep recruiting those low end 3 star players nation wide and see what happens lol. Maybe Morris' Texas relations will push us over a small hump and greenwood and Fayetteville will keep giving us a few. That's the path we are on.

Cinco de Hogo

« Reply #69 on: May 08, 2018, 04:48:21 pm »

$$$, time, politics, and mucho resources would be involved in what I'm talking about. A state like ours closing the talent gap like you are speaking of has never been done that I know of. To do so is going to require more so than doing the same exact thing over and over expecting different results.

I disagree with you about Fort Smith. Over the past 10 years there have been no telling how many kids fall through the cracks. No guidance, bad grades, and probably not even finishing school. Kids that with a different upbringing no telling what they could've been. I'm sure that type of thing happens everywhere, but that's not what we are talking about here. We are talking about how to maximize talent. Ignoring this stuff because it happens everywhere isn't the long term answer.

How do we 99% maximize the talent within the state? What I'm passively suggesting is at least an idea. Little Rock is a mess. The things you speak of there is what needs cleaned up. That's an example of what I'm talking about.

Or hell, let's keep recruiting those low end 3 star players nation wide and see what happens lol. Maybe Morris' Texas relations will push us over a small hump and greenwood and Fayetteville will keep giving us a few. That's the path we are on.

What would happen if you had the support and resources to create three or more IMG level academies, one in LR, one in FS and one in NWA that recruited from all over Arkansas?   Let smaller school complain they aren’t doing these students any favors anyway.  This is legal in every state we just haven’t had the support instate.   These schools can play a national schedule to get better competition, seems to work pretty well in Basketball with the AAU teams traveling the country to tournaments.  Just look at the basketball talent “pot lil ole Arkansas” is producing.

HogPharmer

« Reply #70 on: May 08, 2018, 04:54:27 pm »

Seems like if we stop playing in WMS and play all the games in the palace of the SEC in Fayetteville the problem will take care of itself  ???

Never heard this idea before.... Can you please elaborate so that we may all have a better understanding?

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #71 on: May 08, 2018, 08:30:18 pm »

Arkansas isn't ever going to close this talent gap.

The problem here is geography.  Louisiana, Alabama, and Georgia are right in the heart of prime recruiting territory, basically strung along the Gulf Coast states.  Toss in the fact that Arkansas itself has low population density and produces relatively little high D-1 talent of its own on an average year, and the problem gets bigger.  When you further add in the attraction that schools like LSU, Alabama, and Georgia have to most recruits, it's probably just a gap that's always going to be there.

That doesn't mean that there's no hope, or that Arkansas can't ever compete.  What it does mean is that Arkansas isn't going to be able to go toe-to-toe with these guys each and every year.  To me, that's not that big of a deal.  I think Arkansas can be poised to make a serious run every three to five years, while have ok (6 wins) to good years (9 wins) in the interim years.  Here's how I think they've got to do it:

*Run a system that helps offset depth disadvantages
*Pick up nearly all the in-state high D-1 talent
*Send out offers early and often--Bielema sent out fewer offers than most SEC West coaches and tended to make those offers later.  If you're Arkansas, you can't be 20th in line.  You've got to be 1st or 2nd in line. 
*Be more active on the JUCO trail--you can't build a program using mostly JUCO players, but getting good ones from time to time in weak spots can make the difference.  Arkansas is adjacent to two well-developed JUCO areas in Mississippi and Kansas.
*Sign more QBs in an effort to always have a strong QB in the pipeline, even if it means getting them from JUCOS; if they don't pan out, encourage transfers.  QB quality has been a major problem.
*Focus on key blue chippers.  If you can get one, you raise the chances of getting others, especially if your one is in a skill position.
*You don't have to have top 10 or 12 classes annually to be successful; if you have one every three years on average, you'll be in good shape.
*I know you said don't say "recruit Texas," but they have to recruit stronger in East Texas.  Arkansas has to have an extremely strong recruiting presence in the I-30 corridor
*Extend recruiting up the I-49 corridor up to Kansas City

You can't outrecruit places like LSU, Alabama, and Georgia.  It's not going to happen.  They'll always have more recruits.  What that means is that Arkansas' recruiting has to be more efficient.  That is, the recruits you sign have to have a higher likelihood of becoming contributors.  In the end, it's not how many players you sign, it's about how many make on-the-field contributions.

Arkansas can close the talent gap between the top tier of SEC teams and us, but it is a steep hill to climb. It just requires someone who can scheme and gradually recruit at a higher level year after year and, it requires the patience of the school, the boosters and the fans, as long as they see gradual progress being made year after year.

In the 10 years prior to Clemson starting their run of double digit wins (2011) they were a combined 76-51. Arkansas over the same 10 year period were 75-51. It took time but they built themselves into a program to be reckoned with and they maintain that level of production today.

Getting to that level, let alone maintaining it, isn't easy, but it is far from impossible. While I think that our road is probably more difficult than that of Clemson, it can still be done. Winning and making more of what talent you have through better scheming will be essential, but it can be done. The more you win, the more highly ranked kids that want to come play for you.

Will Morris be able to recreate the "Clemson template" for success here as that staff was able to do back then? Only time will tell, but I still believe it can be done. Not impossible, but it is certainly a difficult task.

CFB_Fanatic

• Senior
« Reply #72 on: May 08, 2018, 09:41:06 pm »

Never heard this idea before.... Can you please elaborate so that we may all have a better understanding?

Sure.

Everything bad that has happened or ever will happen to the Razorback program happens because of War Memorial Stadium

Seems odd that you haven't heard this before. Thought it was common knowledge?

Cinco de Hogo

« Reply #73 on: May 08, 2018, 09:43:19 pm »

Sure.

Everything bad that has happened or ever will happen to the Razorback program happens because of War Memorial Stadium

Seems odd that you haven't heard this before. Thought it was common knowledge?

I thought it was Barnhill Arena that was haunted.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #74 on: May 09, 2018, 08:29:04 am »

What would happen if you had the support and resources to create three or more IMG level academies, one in LR, one in FS and one in NWA that recruited from all over Arkansas?   Let smaller school complain they aren’t doing these students any favors anyway.  This is legal in every state we just haven’t had the support instate.   These schools can play a national schedule to get better competition, seems to work pretty well in Basketball with the AAU teams traveling the country to tournaments.  Just look at the basketball talent “pot lil ole Arkansas” is producing.

Difference in the AAU basketball though is those kids still play for their local high school too. What you are suggesting for football is taking the kids out of their local school and putting them in 3 academies. That is never going to fly because of what it would do to said local schools. Imagine if you took Dmac off his HS team, or if Mustain and company had been at an academy instead of Springdale? Take Childs/Gragg/Wright off of the Warren team they played on.

havok

« Reply #75 on: May 09, 2018, 08:49:32 am »

So basically be a top 10 program cause that's what you described.

I was actually talking about a "Process" to get to that point, not a specific do just "X" and snap it happens. (Of course when you are getting the Top level talent/depth of Bama/LSU you will be a Top10 program at that point. 

Consistency has always been our problem in "Building" a program that attracts and eventually signs recruiting classes up among the best, year in and year out.  Just when we start gathering momentum.. we backslide and snuff out the excitement that was building.

sowmonella

• Who threw a pizza on my roof?
« Reply #76 on: May 09, 2018, 09:13:27 am »

Here’s an article with opinions on how Clemson turned into a powerhouse:  http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college/article182761836.html

Great read. Thanks for posting.

FineAsSwine

• Hogville think tank
« Reply #77 on: May 09, 2018, 11:07:37 am »

If you were hired as HC, how would you look to close the talent gap with the top of the SEC? And you can't just say " recruit Texas " because everyone is recruiting Texas.

The quickest way is to hire a bagman. The honest way is to hire a coach who can sell ice to an Eskimo or talk a top recruit to walk away from cash, strippers, and other "perks" to come and play for you on the straight and narrow path. Show me that man and I will vote for him as a write in 2020 presidential election.

justmakeit2thebcs

« Reply #78 on: May 09, 2018, 11:35:56 am »

Hire Lane Kiffin.    Gotta recruit, I don't care where.  Texas isn't a key to success, great players are.  We weren't good when we had Texas talent, we were good when we had talent.

Nashville Fan

• Welcome to next year!
« Reply #79 on: May 10, 2018, 04:20:42 pm »

Long term - pay ex NFL players to move to NWA and live for free while encouraging them with tax incentives to have lots of babies.
Short term - cheat better than they do and don't get caught.

Cinco de Hogo

« Reply #80 on: May 10, 2018, 04:24:45 pm »

Long term - pay ex NFL players to move to NWA and live for free while encouraging them with tax incentives to have lots of babies.
Short term - cheat better than they do and don't get caught.

Wouldn’t it be cheaper to buy sperm from NFL players and...well we all know about those Tennessee and Ole Miss...never mind.

HogPharmer

« Reply #81 on: May 10, 2018, 04:42:42 pm »

I thought it was Barnhill Arena that was haunted.

It is... WMS sucks so bad that the ghosts won't even hang out there

elviscat

« Reply #82 on: May 10, 2018, 05:22:11 pm »

We should do like Auburn and Ole Miss, we take our recruits to our local casino and buy poker chips and give them to the parents of our recruits We have deeper pockets than either schools playing this game. It's about buying players, then watch the talent level go up.

CFB_Fanatic

• Senior
« Reply #83 on: May 10, 2018, 06:18:32 pm »

Hire Lane Kiffin.    Gotta recruit, I don't care where.  Texas isn't a key to success, great players are.  We weren't good when we had Texas talent, we were good when we had talent.

Truth. It’s not the 1960s. Texas isn’t the football Mecca it used to be

TebowHater

• DMAC > teBLOW
« Reply #84 on: May 10, 2018, 06:22:47 pm »

Closing the talent gap is, and always will be, the wrong approach. Hiring a "recruiter" is the worst possible thing we can do. We will NEVER out recruit or even come close to competing in recruiting with top schools, it will not happen.

Ok, so then how do we win?

Hire a schemer.

We must have someone who can win with less. There is probably no better example of this than what Chris Peterson did at Boise. Had, at best, 2-3 star players and could consistently hang with and beat P5 teams, as well as have near undefeated seasons year after year. When he beat OU in the Fiesta Bowl, it was not because he had closed the talent gap between Boise State and Oklahoma. He also has now turned Washington from perennial sub 500 team to consistent top 25.

But we don't have to look to Boise to know about this phenomenon. This was EXACTLY how Petrino was so successful. He took a bunch of 3 stars and made them play like 4 and 5 stars. Even in 1 season with Casey Dick he turned him into a serviceable, competent QB that was one of the top 5 QB's in the league that year (a year that featured both Matt Stafford and Tim Tebow). The converse of this can also be seen: we had one of our most talented rosters the year of JLS. The talent gap between us and the rest was minimally to no different than the year before (at some positions it was even better). Yet, we went from top 10 to bottom 10. Our most successful coach was our worst recruiter. No one liked him yet he won. ??? Even further analysis reveals we had 19 players drafted from the first draft after CBB was hired through the first draft after he was fired - 5 drafts - for an average of 3.8 draftees per year. We had 10 during Petrino's 4 drafts (2.5/year). Yet the results of our teams were incomparable. Putting players in a position to succeed trumps talent everyday.

Related to this - in addition to putting players in a position to succeed - is the evaluation of talent and development of players. We must hit on 3 stars and be able to grow them into 4-5 stars. This is what Bielema branded himself on yet never succeeded at. This skill is much harder to evaluate when evaluating at prospective coaches, however. I do not know who fits this category exceptionally well; maybe someone like Cutcliff? Not advocating for him at all, just saying that is how hard it is to really judge. Dan Mullen did a good job of this at MSU - he was not successful there by having the talent in Starkville that they had in Athens, Baton Rouge, and Tuscaloosa. Dak Prescott was a 3 star.

CCM was branded as a recruiter. This concerns me. However, he does run a scheme that can be successful with inferior talent. This excites me. We will see it how it all plays out.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 06:41:44 pm by TebowHater »

Al Boarland

« Reply #85 on: May 10, 2018, 06:54:18 pm »

Problem is,  a lot of Texas players are soft because of the type of ball they play.

DLUXHOG

• It'll feel better when it quits hurtin'
« Reply #86 on: May 10, 2018, 07:03:11 pm »

Truth. It’s not the 1960s. Texas isn’t the football Mecca it used to be

I don’t think you know what you’re talking about...

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #87 on: May 10, 2018, 07:06:43 pm »

The entire philosophy of an "IMG-like Academy" doesn't limit those who enroll to the state in which they are located. If one was opened it would recruit players from any state (or country) to enroll in their school. Additionally, their philosophy in terms of their student athletes is more Bielema-like than what you have indicated that you would care for in terms of athletes.

Boarding School Program Purpose

At the IMG Academy boarding school in Florida, we are committed to a personalized, purpose-driven learning environment in which boarding school student-athletes are challenged to master a broad range of skills and competencies. Motivated by the belief that passion drives, drive focuses, and focus empowers; rigor and quality performance define our foundational approach to growth, both in the classroom and on the playing field for boarding school students. Equally important is our embedded emphasis on character development and social responsibility, which we adjudge to be a vital component in our quest to prepare boarding school student-athletes for the next step in their life’s journey.

https://www.imgacademy.com/boarding-school

hogmaniak10

« Reply #88 on: May 10, 2018, 07:11:18 pm »

Put a big a__ heated water park on campus. Wave pool, slides the works, maybe a hedonism festival on recruiting weekends!

nwahogfan1

« Reply #89 on: May 11, 2018, 07:41:20 am »

Metro Little Rock needs to produce more high level division one college football players. They have produced some good ones lately, but they need to produce more.

Seems like back in the day, Parkview and Central produced many great players.

Ways that would help are to Get the LR teachers Unions and the lawyers out of the wallet of the LR tax payers and give the money back to the schools.  Also give the power of what to teach and how to teach and sports back to those who actually have a student in the schools.   Way to much politics involved in our big city school.

HogPharmer

« Reply #90 on: May 11, 2018, 10:53:54 am »

Problem is,  a lot of Texas players are soft because of the type of ball they play.

Like Baker Mayfield and Jalen Hurts?

Cinco de Hogo

« Reply #91 on: May 11, 2018, 11:47:39 am »

Like Baker Mayfield and Jalen Hurts?

So they are the next Peyton Manning and Tom Brady?

Texas players aren’t making the impact on the national stage they did forty years ago...in my opinion.

HogPharmer

« Reply #92 on: May 11, 2018, 11:56:04 am »

So they are the next Peyton Manning and Tom Brady?

Texas players aren’t making the impact on the national stage they did forty years ago...in my opinion.

I didn't say they were the next Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. Many would've said Tom Brady was a bit soft going into the NFL. The conversation was about recruiting high school players for college football. You're now talking about NFL prospects. That's apples & oranges. My point was that both of those QBs are from Texas and have had pretty good success at the college level.

And go ahead and bring up Hurts losing his starting position, but the FACT still is that he has a 24-2 record as a starter and a national championship.

Cinco de Hogo

« Reply #93 on: May 11, 2018, 12:02:07 pm »

I didn't say they were the next Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. Many would've said Tom Brady was a bit soft going into the NFL. The conversation was about recruiting high school players for college football. You're now talking about NFL prospects. That's apples & oranges. My point was that both of those QBs are from Texas and have had pretty good success at the college level.

And go ahead and bring up Hurts losing his starting position, but the FACT still is that he has a 24-2 record as a starter and a national championship.

And bringing up two players is relavant how?  Nobody has said that there aren’t a lot of good players in Texas.  Heck maybe “soft” could apply to all states.  We are living in a “don’t touch my little Johnny” society.

HogPharmer

« Reply #94 on: May 11, 2018, 12:05:21 pm »

And bringing up two players is relavant how?  Nobody has said that there aren’t a lot of good players in Texas.  Heck maybe “soft” could apply to all states.  We are living in a “don’t touch my little Johnny” society.

Well... In all fairness, I don't want you to touch my little Johnny either.

hawganatic

• Senior
« Reply #95 on: May 11, 2018, 02:53:30 pm »

You guys act like we can't win at Arkansas.  It hasn't been that long since we were winning 10 and 11 games, and finishing in the top 10.

The right coach will get us back.

Cinco de Hogo

« Reply #96 on: May 11, 2018, 03:19:26 pm »

Well... In all fairness, I don't want you to touch my little Johnny either.

Wait, did you just admit your Johnny was little?

HogPharmer

« Reply #97 on: May 11, 2018, 03:25:33 pm »

Wait, did you just admit your Johnny was little?

Check your inbox... You've been Norvelle'd

Bubba's Bruisers

« Reply #98 on: May 11, 2018, 03:29:56 pm »

JFB was that kind of coach until college football fully integrated.

Ouch, but true.

Nashville Fan

• Welcome to next year!
« Reply #99 on: May 11, 2018, 04:18:15 pm »

Wouldn’t it be cheaper to buy sperm from NFL players and...well we all know about those Tennessee and Ole Miss...never mind.
Maybe steal NFL Pro Bowl DNA and take it to that planet where that made the clone army in Star Wars? Just brain storming.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas