• 396,424 Topics
• 22,588 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: How would you close the talent gap with schools like Bama/LSU/GA  (Read 3102 times)

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.

If you were hired as HC, how would you look to close the talent gap with the top of the SEC? And you can't just say " recruit Texas " because everyone is recruiting Texas.

KlubhouseKonnected

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • OOOOhh, GOOD FOR YOU!
Re: How would you close the talent gap with schools like Bama/LSU/GA
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 08:49:46 am »

Magic

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

chiro_hawg

• Bench Warmer
  • There's nothing you can know that isn't known.
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 08:54:03 am »

Speed

HF#1

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 09:17:53 am »

Win

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 09:20:51 am »

Pay more

Cinco de Hogo

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2018, 09:28:23 am »

The only way it will ever happen is if a concerted effort is made to improve Arkansas high school football.  We will never out recruit the established elite teams and home teams for out of state talent.  Just a 10% increase in SEC quality talent in our state would be huge.  One more superstar per year, think what that would do, but we can do better.

Anyone who thinks CCM doesnít know this hasnít considered the why of his work with all those high school coaches.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

• Melyssa Forde. Simply One of the Greatest.
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2018, 09:52:46 am »

The only way it will ever happen is if a concerted effort is made to improve Arkansas high school football.  We will never out recruit the established elite teams and home teams for out of state talent.  Just a 10% increase in SEC quality talent in our state would be huge.  One more superstar per year, think what that would do, but we can do better.

Anyone who thinks CCM doesnít know this hasnít considered the why of his work with all those high school coaches.

This.

Al Boarland

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2018, 10:02:33 am »

Focus heavily on JUCO evaluation and recruiting. Become JUCOU in the SEC.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2018, 10:21:25 am »

While I do not disagree, this could take a generation.

jkstock04

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2018, 10:28:52 am »

5-10 years if the program put a serious effort into it. Instead we will live and die off of diamonds in the rough and the occasional blue chip that decides to come here.

As a society we are only concerned with short term results. We don't worry about what is going to happen years from now.

For short term results like you speak of in the OP,  gotta go at it Ole miss style. Absolutely no other way.

RagingHawgOn

• Senior

Hog Fan...DOH!

• Your site for Razorback news.
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2018, 10:37:31 am »

Arkansas ranks what, #15 in players drafted over the last decade?  What's a better indication of talent, recruiting rankings or NFL talent evaluations?  I would argue that the system was flawed more than the talent. 

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2018, 11:09:43 am »

Arkansas ranks what, #15 in players drafted over the last decade?  What's a better indication of talent, recruiting rankings or NFL talent evaluations?  I would argue that the system was flawed more than the talent. 

Not sure on the NFL ranking, but where were those players from, and what positions did they play? I know at least 4 of them were rb's, and 3 were qb's, 4 wr's, 3te's, and a handful of OL. What was drafted on the defensive side of the ball? I know a couple of de's and maybe 2 lb's.

5-10 years if the program put a serious effort into it. Instead we will live and die off of diamonds in the rough and the occasional blue chip that decides to come here.

As a society we are only concerned with short term results. We don't worry about what is going to happen years from now.

For short term results like you speak of in the OP,  gotta go at it Ole miss style. Absolutely no other way.

5-10 if what program put in serious effort? The Hogs? Just how much do you think they can do at the HS level?

Cinco de Hogo

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2018, 11:12:28 am »

No blue blood became a blue blood in three years but you should see marked progress within three years.

BearsBisonsBoars

• Senior
  • Arguing with computers for a living
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2018, 11:14:02 am »

Does anyone know if the NCAA allows a program to funnel AD money back into it's own state's HS education system?

I feel like the "arms race" is pretty heavily affected by diminishing returns at this point. But if the university could bankroll part of the athletic budgets for the lowest % per capita of schools in the state, that would help us much more than gold plated toilet seats or whatever we're buying now.

Of course you'd have to fund all programs, not just football because of Title IX, but still.

Cinco de Hogo

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2018, 11:27:32 am »

Does anyone know if the NCAA allows a program to funnel AD money back into it's own state's HS education system?

I feel like the "arms race" is pretty heavily affected by diminishing returns at this point. But if the university could bankroll part of the athletic budgets for the lowest % per capita of schools in the state, that would help us much more than gold plated toilet seats or whatever we're buying now.

Of course you'd have to fund all programs, not just football because of Title IX, but still.

That would be a function of The Razorback Foundation, the athletic department no longer needs the Foundation for anything other than coaches salaries and as long as we arenít making 15 mil buyouts every 5 years the foundation could best serve the Football program by helping CCM achieve his vision for the state.

LEGALLY!

Hog Fan...DOH!

• Your site for Razorback news.
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2018, 11:41:03 am »

Not sure on the NFL ranking, but where were those players from, and what positions did they play? I know at least 4 of them were rb's, and 3 were qb's, 4 wr's, 3te's, and a handful of OL. What was drafted on the defensive side of the ball? I know a couple of de's and maybe 2 lb's.

Very offense-heavy.  For sure.   My point is, I'm not sure it takes a whole lot more to start closing out those 4th quarters which would equal 2-3 wins more per season.  I think Arkansas has been competitive the majority of the time.

BearsBisonsBoars

• Senior
  • Arguing with computers for a living
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2018, 11:46:30 am »

That would be a function of The Razorback Foundation, the athletic department no longer needs the Foundation for anything other than coaches salaries and as long as we arenít making 15 mil buyouts every 5 years the foundation could best serve the Football program by helping CCM achieve his vision for the state.

LEGALLY!

Good point!

mhsbc59

• "Cause thats how I Role"
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2018, 12:13:41 pm »

have a major industrial shift that moves 3 million or more people into the state

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2018, 12:34:08 pm »

have a major industrial shift that moves 3 million or more people into the state

That would help the most in the long run.

elksnort

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Lucy, 10-11-2004 - 10-30-2015
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2018, 12:34:54 pm »

Metro Little Rock needs to produce more high level division one college football players. They have produced some good ones lately, but they need to produce more.

Seems like back in the day, Parkview and Central produced many great players.

razorbackfaninar

• Senior
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2018, 12:39:32 pm »

There isn't just one way, but this is part of it, and it has been neglected for too long.  Part of the issue is that we have far too many little school districts that don't want to consolidate and that spreads out resources and talent for sports.  That issue needs to be fixed.  Whoever said " win" is absolutely right.  This isn't a chicken and egg type of debate, IE "you have to get athletes to win but you have to win to get the athletes". You have to find a way to win, or at least be seriously competitive on a consistent basis with the athletes you can get before you ever start thinking about being able to recruit on a level with BAMA/ GA/ LSU.  I mean you need a decade or more of consistent success before you aren't seen as some flash in the pan, and even then you may not get a ton of respect.  It takes literally years.  Look at Oklahoma State for example, Look at their last ten years. They have averaged 10 wins a year for the last decade and they still don't get a ton of respect. We have the facilities, the fan base, a great town, and boosters & an administration willing to spend to get us where we want to be, but recruiting is about selling the school and the program.  I think that you need a young, hungry energetic staff. looking to make a name and willing to try whatever it takes to get W's on the board.  Not someone who will keep running into a wall saying " I know this works" when it clearly doesn't.  So I would:

A: Work to improve the quality, and increase participation in high-school athletics in the state.
B: hire a young, energetic staff who will hopefully find new and innovative ways to squeeze blood out of turnip
C: continue to pour money into improved facilities, fan experience, PR, and most importantly staff, open the purse strings for assistant coaches, get the absolute best available that
    you can get with out regard for the money.   
D: find a way to beat someone you aren't supposed to beat. Look at the mileage that Ole Miss and Texas A&M got out of beating Alabama.
E: Bend the rules that will bend, but don't break them.  Take advantage of anything in any gray area as it relates to recruiting to give the program an advantage
F: Become a media darling.  Bielema was good about getting good press, but the press was always really about him and not about Arkansas football program. 

Those are my ideas any way. Easy right?

Wildhog

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2018, 12:40:03 pm »

Metro Little Rock needs to produce more high level division one college football players. They have produced some good ones lately, but they need to produce more.

Seems like back in the day, Parkview and Central produced many great players.

Yes, that has been posted a thousand times here over the years and no one disagrees with that. The question is how to make that happen.

go hogues

• You're at an eight but we need you at a two.
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2018, 12:57:01 pm »

His pride would never allow him to do it but I actually think Houston Nutt could become the rallying face behind such a program, if such a program could be implemented. Pay him a million a year to be the rally czar for Arkansas hs football.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2018, 01:20:28 pm »

Do whatever Clemson did...... they werent always a powerhouse...
Morris needs to get the Little Rock coaches and other powerhouse schools on board asap. Cant afford to lose the good players we do produce.

Cinco de Hogo

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2018, 01:34:19 pm »

So in three pages we have solved the problem.

The Razorback Foundation needs to hire Houston Nutt at one mil per year, give him a  budget of ten mil per year with orders to create as many powerhouse high school programs in the state as he can...problem solved!

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2018, 01:36:59 pm »

So in three pages we have solved the problem.

The Razorback Foundation needs to hire Houston Nutt at one mil per year, give him a  budget of ten mil per year with orders to create as many powerhouse high school programs in the state as he can...problem solved!

Assuming, of course, that a system like that is legal under NCAA rules and Arkansas State School Funding laws.

Salted Pork

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2018, 01:40:08 pm »

Cheat in recruiting, win, get caught, go through sanctions, rinse, repeat.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2018, 01:48:25 pm »

Have more highly recruited prospects live in Arkansas.
Simple.
Most players stay closer to home to play. They will tend to go to college where they live, or close.
It's a pure demographics issue.
There are 3mm people in this state. 2-3 times that many in other states...and they produce 2-3 times the D-1 prospects.

You just have to understand basic math to understand this problem.

The only way to overcome that problem at Arkansas is to have a head coach who is dynamic enough to attract recruits from their natural areas in other places to want to come play for him. Frank Broyles was that kind of guy in the 60s, a truly dynamic coach.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2018, 01:50:03 pm »

. Frank Broyles was that kind of guy in the 60s, a truly dynamic coach.

JFB was that kind of coach until college football fully integrated.

wildturkey8

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2018, 01:51:35 pm »

Complete I-49 between Texarkana and Fort Smith.

HogPharmer

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2018, 01:53:45 pm »

Those are only going in Rice's box... And I hear he's paying for those out of his own pocket.

mhsbc59

• "Cause thats how I Role"
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2018, 02:22:52 pm »

that would be alsum and long over due.  i have only had to make the drive once at night in the fog no thank you never again

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2018, 07:31:46 pm »

If you were hired as HC, how would you look to close the talent gap with the top of the SEC? And you can't just say " recruit Texas " because everyone is recruiting Texas.

It is a difficult hill to climb but the first step, in my opinion, is being a HC who can find a way (I know, an over-used term) to do more, with less. If you have never been this type of coach, the task becomes darned near impossible. Nonetheless, that has to be the first step. And that's not to say that we don't have good athletes and fine young men on our team, it is just to say that the top tier of the SEC West tends to have more of them than we usually tend to have.

Beyond that you have to be a heckuva a recruiter and an evaluator of HS level talent to the extent that you can find kids who, even if not as highly rated as others, can thrive within your particular scheme on both sides of the ball. For example, a 4 star massive O-Line brawler who is a good fit in a traditional pro style offense in the Big Ten, might not necessarily be a great fit for your offensive scheme in the SEC West. That of course doesn't mean that they won't go after highly ranked talent at various positions as well (as they have already shown), but that they still must be a fit within the system.

And of course, the team has to win and not just win the games that they should win (though that is the first step), but begin to knock off a few that no one expected them to beat or even stay close with through 4 quarters.

Winning cures a lot of problems and tends to generate more interest within a state's HS's and garners more positive national respect and publicity.

It all starts with winning and being able to get more out of your team than is anticipated while continuing to build on that reputation.

Only then do you begin to compete with the upper tier of the conference in recruiting. Kids have to have a reason to choose Arkansas over another school that has won more and usually that begins with more winning. You win more, the program becomes more popular by being viewed as being more competitive, maybe even becoming one of the new "hot places to go". That draws more talent regionally and nationally and as a result, generates a lot more interest within the state by fans, and potential recruits. JMO
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 07:46:38 pm by MuskogeeHogFan »

LAHogfan123

« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2018, 09:10:38 pm »

While everyone will have their own opinion on how to do this, there is only one true way to do so with these top teams like Alabama, Ohio State, Auburn, Georgia, Florida State, Oklahoma, etc.  Simply put, it's to do what they do but more so, and that's to cheat.  I'm actually against all cheating and not wanting our university to cheat, just stating that the only way we'll ever compete for the SEC Championship or National Championship is to cheat.  We haven't been close to competing for one since Holtz led us to victory over the Sooners in the Orange Bowl, I don't see us competing for one in the next decade either.

Tarheelhawg

« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2018, 10:32:13 pm »

I would emphasize speed, conditioning and scheme/strategy.  Coaching matters in the same way that a Chessmaster can quickly dismantle a novice with exactly the same pieces. So I like what Coach Morris is doing.  Discipline, teamwork, and hard work would also be included in the winning recipe. 

Hogs-n-Roses

• Coming to a Stadium Near You!
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2018, 10:43:47 pm »

Petition Congress to do away with the vile crooked NCAA and clean up the P5 (as the SEC is as dirty as the NCAA). Pay the players a reasonable amount, or create a draft. Face it right now Bama,Clemson,Ga.,Fla.,LSU,tOSU,USC,A$M,OU......are all semi pro. Until someone or something levels the playing field, Only those schools have a chance at a Natty.

rogersvillemohog

« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2018, 10:50:57 pm »

Some would say it's a simple matter of numbers. Arkansas only has 2.9 million residents. I don't buy into that nonsense. Oklahoma has 3.8 million and regularly fields two very competitive P5 football programs. Oregon only has 3.9 mil, Louisiana has 4.6 mil, South Carolina 4.7, and Alabama 4.8 mil.

The question to me is, what have OU, Okie State, Oregon, LSU, USCe, Clemson, Bama, and Auburn done to compensate for their size of their state populations? It can't be all tradition. OSU, Oregon, and Clemson aren't exactly historic world beaters. Luckily, CCM played a big role in taking Clemson from a nobody that everyone made fun of to a contender. He has the blue print. You cannot convince me that Arkansas cannot be a contender when a school like Clemson has done it who has similar population and has to compete with an in-state SEC school for recruiting yearly. Just gotta find that special recipe.

sowmonella

• You know I'm right.
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2018, 10:58:36 pm »

Excellent point. That would really help recruiting in east TX and DFW area.

OPoraquÍ

• Varsity
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2018, 11:38:09 pm »

Excellent point. That would really help recruiting in east TX and DFW area.

Not the "Texas side", but in news posted this afternoon (I very much suspect this is going to happen):  https://talkbusiness.net/2018/05/regional-planners-await-infra-grant-decision/

The 3 remaining I-49 sections are like bad hoses on a vehicle radiator: fix up one, and it will put pressure on the others to get fixed (read: "built") as well, even though the Texarkana to Fort Smith "hose" has a $1bn+ price tag...

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2018, 12:03:00 am »

Some would say it's a simple matter of numbers. Arkansas only has 2.9 million residents. I don't buy into that nonsense. Oklahoma has 3.8 million and regularly fields two very competitive P5 football programs. Oregon only has 3.9 mil, Louisiana has 4.6 mil, South Carolina 4.7, and Alabama 4.8 mil.

The question to me is, what have OU, Okie State, Oregon, LSU, USCe, Clemson, Bama, and Auburn done to compensate for their size of their state populations? It can't be all tradition. OSU, Oregon, and Clemson aren't exactly historic world beaters. Luckily, CCM played a big role in taking Clemson from a nobody that everyone made fun of to a contender. He has the blue print. You cannot convince me that Arkansas cannot be a contender when a school like Clemson has done it who has similar population and has to compete with an in-state SEC school for recruiting yearly. Just gotta find that special recipe.
Agree that Ark can win, given the right coach. But he has to be really good, not just good (my opinion)

The thing about Oklahoma is they live off Texas players, and they are closer to Dallas than we are. We have recruited Texas forever, but OU is 3 hours from Dallas, and UA is six hours away. It's that simple. OU has traditionally been a closer but out-of-state option for Texas kids looking to go elsewhere. They have historically gotten more of those Texas kids than Ark, and much of that has to do with geography.

For the other states like LA, SC, etc. I think a better metric is number of D-1 athletes produced. Some of that is due to simply increased population, but let's get totally real here and tell it like it is: you have to look at the percentage of black athletes in those states. AL, SC, LA, etc. are the deep South. The % of black athletes is really high, and the D-1 prospects are really high.
Ark doesn't compare favorably neither in terms of overall population nor in terms of D-1 prospects produced.

To put it the most simply, the recruiting grounds are more fertile in nearly every SEC state except perhaps KY and MO.

A really good coach can overcome most of this, but it's still a hard chore.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

• Melyssa Forde. Simply One of the Greatest.
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2018, 04:02:06 am »

Really, really hot prostitutes.
 ;)

I kid.  I kid.  (Unless it would work)

goodguytex

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2018, 04:27:54 am »

There is no magic answer here... Do what Dan Mullen did at Mississippi State... Recruit all you can, develop all you can, but don't shoot yourself as a program in the foot. Bobby Petrino proved we don't have to get top ten recruiting classes to build a winning program. You outscheme, out coach your opponents. And get the best you can get from the state, and what we can from Texas and Louisiana. We aren't going to out recruit Alabama.

Going to be next to impossible to beat Alabama at all. Maybe we will though if we don't beat ourselves.

How many games the last four years did we actually beat ourselves with stupid mistakes? Gotta stop that if we expect to beat the best.

okrazorback

• Varsity
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2018, 06:35:13 am »

You can't decide that until you get a good coach. That is the Key to winning.

The NewEra

• New Era
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2018, 08:50:34 am »

Morris has the plan and he's executing it on the recruiting trail.  To achieve the ultimate goal of closing the gap, plan B needs to be successful, and that is winning enough games to show recruits that you are the place where competing with Bama and winning those games is an obtainable objective based on the trajectory of the program.

Recruit your butt off and win ball games.  It's that simple and that difficult.

Dark Helmet Hog

• Now let's see how well you handle it...
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2018, 08:59:16 am »

Don't piss off every high school coach in Texas by insulting their offensive style.
Don't take hot blondes on recruiting trips. Rent them once you're there.
Tell your donors that "bagmen" is just a phrase. Kids like gift cards now.
Make sure new players get the Chargers with the V8 and not those nasty little V6's. May have to upgrade to Hellcat if you want a solid 5 star.

Seriously though. Yes. You have to talk about Texas. Everyone may be recruiting it but it's always been the key for success at Arkansas. It's hasn't had the priority and focus it needs to have until now.

The next big thing is understand the talent you do have. Don't shove square pegs in round holes and you must adjust your schemes to fit your personnel. This is something that Beliema could not fathom. The transition to the spread was necessary. It's what our recruiting base runs and is a more natural transition to most of the talent we have access to get.

Bring the hounds of hell on defense. It's better to attack and play fast then sit back reacting and then get torn apart by a QB and OC that know what your are going to do every play. Attacking and trying to force mistakes can also even up discrepancies in talent.

rickm1976

« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2018, 12:37:31 pm »

This is probably the most important thing in the long run.

Mkcmobile

• Band Nerd
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2018, 07:20:38 pm »

Hereís an article with opinions on how Clemson turned into a powerhouse:  http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college/article182761836.html
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas