• 394,713 Topics
• 22,261 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WMS Strategy  (Read 6186 times)

BirmingHam

• Senior
  • I do believe; I do, I do, I do......
Re: WMS Strategy
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2018, 09:59:47 am »

Fayetteville was basically a ghost town especially Dickson Street  and the Tailgating was really weak compared to other weekends up in Fayetteville it was embarrassing having the Missouri fans see all of this .Then I remember how much fun it was down in Little Rock back when we played LSU Friday after Thanksgiving the tailgating leading up to the LSU games in Little Rock was some of the best tailgating all year and the bars in Little Rock up in the Heights area  as well as downtown were so much fun basically the only time during the year  that I prefer the bars in Little Rock versus Fayetteville. Just to let you know none of the students want come back to campus the day after Thanksgiving and give up great  food with their families to hang out in their smelly dorms or apartments during the holidays  .The worst part was the lack of lack of interest from the very dead town of Fayetteville basically the entire week  of  Thanksgiving  or even  Dickson street that was non existent  Friday night or at anytime during the day of the game  of  any kind of atmosphere  that felt like  an actual SEC home game was going on that Friday  .

How about the students who are not going to attend the on-campus game after Tday donate there tickets back to the University.  Then we could charter buses to bring in under privileged kids from South, East, and LR to the game to fill in their slots.  They could stay in the empty dorms, tour the campus, and then return home the next day.  It would cost less than trucking the team and entourage to LR.  It would also be a great boon to the University as an outreach every other year.  It would also cost less than renovating WMS, as it is an embarrassing stadium to see on TV for a power 5 school.

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2018, 10:00:54 am »

it enhances the perception outsiders have of us when they see the dump

I do not disagree with anything else you said, but I would love to see some evidence of this.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2018, 10:06:40 am »

How about the students who are not going to attend the on-campus game after Tday donate there tickets back to the University.  Then we could charter buses to bring in under privileged kids from South, East, and LR to the game to fill in their slots.  They could stay in the empty dorms, tour the campus, and then return home the next day.  It would cost less than trucking the team and entourage to LR.  It would also be a great boon to the University as an outreach every other year.  It would also cost less than renovating WMS, as it is an embarrassing stadium to see on TV for a power 5 school.

Would you want someone staying in your house while you go to Granny's for Thanksgiving? That idea won't fly, lol. The students can turn back their tickets, I know they have in basketball during the semester breaks. Who is paying for these chartered buses?

BirmingHam

• Senior
  • I do believe; I do, I do, I do......
« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2018, 10:23:38 am »

Would you want someone staying in your house while you go to Granny's for Thanksgiving? That idea won't fly, lol. The students can turn back their tickets, I know they have in basketball during the semester breaks. Who is paying for these chartered buses?

You mean like they do for the WalMart convention?  There are many ways to house these kids.  Empty motels/hotels/rental houses; it doesn't have to be dorms.  Heck, you could even put thousands of temp beds in Bud Walton.

They could also make it a one day there and back, moving game time to 1pm, if housing is a problem.  You don't think that it would be a good story line for ESPN.

The money to pay for the charter buses would be taken from the money the UofA spends to send the team/band/entourage to LR for the game, which I believe is close to $1M. The rest could come out of UofA student recruitment funds, as these will be prospective students.

Think outside the box, this is a great opportunity for the NWA/UofA to pony up and create a great atmosphere to show the rest of the state that we care about them also.  You could get people to volunteer to help out. And think how it would look to  the visiting athletic prospects. 

scaldedhog

• Varsity
  • I'M on the GUS BUS!
« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2018, 11:51:25 am »

I'm from far S Arkansas and have been attending games at WMS since the 60s. I also enjoyed watching us play Ole Miss in Jackson. However, times have changed and IMO our games should all be played on campus. I'll just nut up and drive to Fayetteville.
Absolutely what a real Razorback fan would say.  Whatever is best for the team. Not whatever is more convenient for ME.

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2018, 11:51:50 am »

You mean like they do for the WalMart convention?  There are many ways to house these kids.  Empty motels/hotels/rental houses; it doesn't have to be dorms.  Heck, you could even put thousands of temp beds in Bud Walton.

They could also make it a one day there and back, moving game time to 1pm, if housing is a problem.  You don't think that it would be a good story line for ESPN.

The money to pay for the charter buses would be taken from the money the UofA spends to send the team/band/entourage to LR for the game, which I believe is close to $1M. The rest could come out of UofA student recruitment funds, as these will be prospective students.

Think outside the box, this is a great opportunity for the NWA/UofA to pony up and create a great atmosphere to show the rest of the state that we care about them also.  You could get people to volunteer to help out. And think how it would look to  the visiting athletic prospects. 

The Walmart annual meeting is after the spring semester, you're idea was during a three day break, nobody is going to go that route. I'm not sure on the cost of the transportation for the team and band. The team has a hotel bill of they play in Fayetteville, so no sayings there. I doubt it costs $1m more to bus to LR, and even fly back afterwards. The cost to send 6000 "prospective" students would probably bankrupt the "student recruitment" fund, but if you can get someone to go for your idea, the more power to you.

goodguytex

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2018, 12:34:16 pm »

What our program needs is sustained success for at least a 4-5 year period of time of 8 wins or more. Then we will have enough fan enthusiasm and support to continuously fill our stadium in Fayetteville, on the campus of the University, and not even think about WMS anymore. And we shouldn't anyway. But people rationalize playing there to drum up support for the whole state. That rationalization won't wash if our program sees sustained success. And we we're on the right track until the bike wreck.

ALLVOL

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2018, 07:31:14 pm »

The lack of respect some of you have for history and tradition of Arkansas football is amazing to me. Everyone wants a tradition that no other school has. The Hogs have one and it's very darned cool. I see where some say "outsiders perception". Well as an " outsider" who has been to LR games and have brought other UT fans with me I can tell you the perception is "this is awesome". The one LSU game after Thanksgiving I was able to attend ranks up there with the coolest events I've ever seen.
So to all of you who want to bash Razorback history and tradition have at it. But I know first hand you're wrong.

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2018, 07:37:16 pm »

The lack of respect some of you have for history and tradition of Arkansas football is amazing to me. Everyone wants a tradition that no other school has. The Hogs have one and it's very darned cool. I see where some say "outsiders perception". Well as an " outsider" who has been to LR games and have brought other UT fans with me I can tell you the perception is "this is awesome". The one LSU game after Thanksgiving I was able to attend ranks up there with the coolest events I've ever seen.
So to all of you who want to bash Razorback history and tradition have at it. But I know first hand you're wrong.

It's cool that only your opinion is correct.....

hogcards

• The Glimmer Twins
« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2018, 07:38:04 pm »

What if WMS increased its capacity by 15,000 or so?  Would some folks still have an issue playing there?

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2018, 07:39:43 pm »

What if WMS increased its capacity by 15,000 or so?  Would some folks still have an issue playing there?

I'd have any issue of spending state money to increase the capacity for one game.

hogcards

• The Glimmer Twins
« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2018, 07:57:41 pm »

I'd have any issue of spending state money to increase the capacity for one game.

Give them two.  And make one of them to an actual football team.  Someone a step up from  Florida A & M or Alcorn St.

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2018, 08:03:51 pm »

Give them two.  And make one of them to an actual football team.  Someone a step up from  Florida A & M or Alcorn St.

Why would you take games from your home campus to a place you can't host recruits?

rinds

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2018, 09:26:05 pm »

If where dreaming, tear down WMS and build a 45k indoor multi-purpose arena. Get 1 SEC game, 4 or 5 Hog BB games, Shoot for NCAA Tourney, State Football and Basketball Championships, and all the other stuff (tractor pulls, concerts, etc...). They need a year round money maker to make it happen.

ALLVOL

« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2018, 10:37:16 pm »

It's cool that only your opinion is correct.....
It's not cool that you have no respect for the rich tradition and history of the Arkansas Razorback football team.

Sed76

• Hogvillian
« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2018, 11:26:10 pm »

Could tear down WMS, build a palace that rivals Cowboys Stadium and you can bet there would be some still finding a reason to argue about playing in Little Rock. That's just the way it is.

Darren DeLoach (semohawg)

« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2018, 11:39:52 pm »

Could tear down WMS, build a palace that rivals Cowboys Stadium and you can bet there would be some still finding a reason to argue about playing in Little Rock. That's just the way it is.

The only concern most of us have is what is best for our football program. I wouldn't care if they played in your backyard if it did not hinder the program. But regardless of seating capacities or structural niceties, if we play anywhere but on campus, we forfeit a recruiting weekend. That is suicide for a program that STRUGGLES with procuring SEC caliber talent. In my estimation, anyone that prefers a game in Little Rock is stating in essence that my personal preferences are more important that Razorback football. It is the silliest of debates.

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #67 on: May 14, 2018, 06:41:44 am »

It's not cool that you have no respect for the rich tradition and history of the Arkansas Razorback football team.

Yeah, I've only been going to games since 1967, no respect at all, but you went to the Alcorn State game, that's cool.

Athog

• Hogville.net
« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2018, 07:06:23 am »

Best strategy for WMS is to get rid of playing at WMS all together. Have a spring game there for the fans to come out and see the team but all home games need to be in Fayetteville.

I totally agree!

ALLVOL

« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2018, 09:09:28 am »

Yeah, I've only been going to games since 1967, no respect at all, but you went to the Alcorn State game, that's cool.
So? We have people who have been born and raised in the United States of America and they have little to no respect for the history or traditions for our country. Length of time doesn't make one right. Respect or (in this case) lack thereof has nothing to do with time.

hawganatic

• Senior
« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2018, 09:21:02 am »

This hides empty seats and gets the real tree apparel out of the picture giving the appearance of a full stadium.

Do you recommend this same scenario for the empty seats in RRS?  Ya'll act like WMS is the only one having trouble selling out.

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #71 on: May 14, 2018, 10:07:48 am »

So? We have people who have been born and raised in the United States of America and they have little to no respect for the history or traditions for our country. Length of time doesn't make one right. Respect or (in this case) lack thereof has nothing to do with time.

Well, it wasn't always a tradition to play there, only since 1948, so I guess some are wanting to go back to the "true" tradition, right?

ALLVOL

« Reply #72 on: May 14, 2018, 11:39:46 am »

Well, it wasn't always a tradition to play there, only since 1948, so I guess some are wanting to go back to the "true" tradition, right?
Using your logic then why stop at 1948? Go ahead and remove the Razorback as the mascot and put a cardinal on the helmet.
Only an idiot would think something that dates back to 1948 isn't a tradition.

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Crazy Times Make Crazy people Crazier!!!!
« Reply #73 on: May 14, 2018, 11:44:03 am »

Using your logic then why stop at 1948? Go ahead and remove the Razorback as the mascot and put a cardinal on the helmet.

Maybe just a tradition that has lost it's worth and value over time.

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2018, 11:55:01 am »

Only an idiot chooses when to start a tradition.

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #75 on: May 14, 2018, 11:58:46 am »

Only an idiot chooses when to start a tradition.

Battle of the Golden Boot!

HogPharmer

• KCCO
« Reply #76 on: May 14, 2018, 12:11:40 pm »

That gives you only 5 games that you’re playing at home then. And likely only 2 true home conference games based on what you’re asking.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #77 on: May 14, 2018, 12:25:27 pm »

The only concern most of us have is what is best for our football program. I wouldn't care if they played in your backyard if it did not hinder the program. But regardless of seating capacities or structural niceties, if we play anywhere but on campus, we forfeit a recruiting weekend. That is suicide for a program that STRUGGLES with procuring SEC caliber talent. In my estimation, anyone that prefers a game in Little Rock is stating in essence that my personal preferences are more important that Razorback football. It is the silliest of debates.

How many times does the line in bold have to be proven wrong before you admit it??

Look, I support the games being moved to Fayetteville but let's not make false statements to try and bolster your point. Both Bobby Petrino and Houston Nutt stated several times that playing in WMS does not hurt recruiting and that they have plenty of other weekends to schedule on campus visits. The U of A is allowed to provide tickets to recruits for the WMS game and they then schedule a later time for those recruits to visit the campus. Bret Bielema didn't know what he was talking about.

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #78 on: May 14, 2018, 12:32:00 pm »

How many times does the line in bold have to be proven wrong before you admit it??

Look, I support the games being moved to Fayetteville but let's not make false statements to try and bolster your point. Both Bobby Petrino and Houston Nutt stated several times that playing in WMS does not hurt recruiting and that they have plenty of other weekends to schedule on campus visits. The U of A is allowed to provide tickets to recruits for the WMS game and they then schedule a later time for those recruits to visit the campus. Bret Bielema didn't know what he was talking about.

So, you've got recruits coming from out of state for an unofficial, would you rather they see a game on campus and visit where they potentially will live for 4 years, or catch a game in WMS? I think this one is self explanatory. Sure, they can give out some tickets to local guys, but you aren't going to get anyone from out of state for a WMS game.

HogPharmer

• KCCO
« Reply #79 on: May 14, 2018, 12:36:48 pm »

So, you've got recruits coming from out of state for an unofficial, would you rather they see a game on campus and visit where they potentially will live for 4 years, or catch a game in WMS? I think this one is self explanatory. Sure, they can give out some tickets to local guys, but you aren't going to get anyone from out of state for a WMS game.

You wouldn't want to either

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I need help with my footwork, too.
« Reply #80 on: May 14, 2018, 01:12:59 pm »

Arkansas has played at least one game in Little Rock almost every year for over a century, but that had nothing to do with tradition.  Over time the reasons to play in Little Rock have changed.  The primary reasons - travel considerations for visiting teams and fans and greater ticket sales in Little Rock - are no longer factors. Little Rock games are now a significant expense that can only be considered marketing and recruiting dollars for the university as a whole.  The real question for the Board of Trustees is whether the expense is worth keeping a game in Little Rock, but it can only get to that question if there is a commitment to bring WMS up to standards acceptable to the UA. 

Key people, like the Governor, believe that games in Little Rock are good for Arkansas as a state.  Knowing that it will take significant investment in WMS to keep games there, the question becomes whether the expense is worth it. 

The balancing of considerations leading up to the decision coming later this month is complicated.  Tradition is a red herring.  Little Rock games have never been born out of tradition.

Another red herring is lost recruiting visits.  To the extent it is a factor in the decision making process, it is way down the list.  Gameday visits and official visits are entirely different things.  The loss of gameday visits is offset by the football presence in Central Arkansas, which has always felt a sense of ownership because of games there.  How much sense of ownership will be lost if games stop is part of the calculus. One thing is certain - Central and South Arkansas have produced and will continue to produce the best athletes in the state.  If Little Rock games create a recruiting disadvantage, it is because WMS looks terrible and is way behind in player facilities.

My sense is that the key players, including the athletic director and head coach, would like to keep one game in Little Rock, but only if WMS is not the embarrassment to the program it has become.  Whether it can be salvaged is the real question.  Apparently we will know something soon.

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #81 on: May 14, 2018, 01:21:53 pm »

Arkansas has played at least one game in Little Rock almost every year for over a century, but that had nothing to do with tradition.  Over time the reasons to play in Little Rock have changed.  The primary reasons - travel considerations for visiting teams and fans and greater ticket sales in Little Rock - are no longer factors. Little Rock games are now a significant expense that can only be considered marketing and recruiting dollars for the university as a whole.  The real question for the Board of Trustees is whether the expense is worth keeping a game in Little Rock, but it can only get to that question if there is a commitment to bring WMS up to standards acceptable to the UA. 

Key people, like the Governor, believe that games in Little Rock are good for Arkansas as a state.  Knowing that it will take significant investment in WMS to keep games there, the question becomes whether the expense is worth it. 

The balancing of considerations leading up to the decision coming later this month is complicated.  Tradition is a red herring.  Little Rock games have never been born out of tradition.

Another red herring is lost recruiting visits.  To the extent it is a factor in the decision making process, it is way down the list.  Gameday visits and official visits are entirely different things.  The loss of gameday visits is offset by the football presence in Central Arkansas, which has always felt a sense of ownership because of games there.  How much sense of ownership will be lost if games stop is part of the calculus. One thing is certain - Central and South Arkansas have produced and will continue to produce the best athletes in the state.  If Little Rock games create a recruiting disadvantage, it is because WMS looks terrible and is way behind in player facilities.

My sense is that the key players, including the athletic director and head coach, would like to keep one game in Little Rock, but only if WMS is not the embarrassment to the program it has become.  Whether it can be salvaged is the real question.  Apparently we will know something soon.

I talked with a BOT member Friday night, I asked him how he was going to vote, he said "whatever the Gov wants". Now, I don't think it's that simple, I think he's implying if the Gov puts the money in it, than they'll probably keep a game there every year, or every other year.

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #82 on: May 14, 2018, 01:38:53 pm »

I talked with a BOT member Friday night, I asked him how he was going to vote, he said "whatever the Gov wants". Now, I don't think it's that simple, I think he's implying if the Gov puts the money in it, than they'll probably keep a game there every year, or every other year.
IF THEY PUT PUBLIC FUNDS TOWARDS IT AND CUT ANY BENEFITS TO DO IT, look out

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #83 on: May 14, 2018, 01:45:09 pm »

I personally believe that Little Rock needs to invest in its infrastructure and public schools if it is going to compete in the 21st century.  That includes maintaining a first class, multi-use stadium, or at least one that is presentable.  Perception is reality.  Quality of life is important to companies and to people looking to settle down or relocate.

Northwest Arkansas has become a wonderful place to work and raise a family.  It is not Little Rock's competition.  NWA benefits from a strong Little Rock, and vice versa. Little Rock's competition are metropolitan areas in the South and Midwest.  It needs to compete with those areas for the good of itself and the entire state.  Making significant improvements to WMS would be a signal that Little Rock is serious about improving its regional position.  That is not discounting the fact that the state owns the stadium, but Little Rock and Central Arkansas residents do have control over how to invest in infrastructure.  It seems a consortium of constituents with a dog in the fight could get the job done if it is to be done at all.

rhames

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #84 on: May 14, 2018, 01:45:40 pm »

You misheard. He said whatever "the guv wants"

So what's it going to be guvhog?

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #85 on: May 14, 2018, 01:47:15 pm »

Well, we were talking at the bar at the local country club, I probably did.

justmakeit2thebcs

• Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs!
« Reply #86 on: May 14, 2018, 02:04:10 pm »

Only traditon as stupid than the Hogs playing in LR is Ark/A&m playing in Dallas along with Tex and OU.   Maybe thats is the real reason LR gets so butthurt, Dallas may have a hog game every year and they won't.   What other team in the country gives up one game on campus game every year and two games every other year?  Zero.... Yeah, I know some of you think Arkansas is "special".  I got news for you, we aren't.  We are divided because some of you can't move on from the 60's, you think your convienence is more important than the team.  You think keeping with tradition will win the SEC.   

PS.  That rebel flag ain't gonna make the "south rise again either".

« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 04:37:40 pm by justmakeit2thebcs »

ALLVOL

« Reply #87 on: May 14, 2018, 02:49:11 pm »

ONly traditon as stupid than the Hogs playing in LR is Ark/A&m play in Dallas along with Tex and OU.   Maybe thats is the real reason LR gets so butthurt, Dallas may have a hog game every year and they won't.   What other team in the country gives up one game on campus game every year and two games every other year?  Zero.... Yeah, I know some of you think Arkansas is "special".  I got news for you, we aren't.  We are divided because some of you can't move on from the 60's, you think your convienence is more important than the team.  You think keeping with tradition will win the SEC.   

PS.  That rebel flag ain't gonna make the "south rise again either".

I'm sure playing a game in LR is why the Hogs haven't won the SEC... maybe the LR game is what caused Reggie Fish to have a brain fart. Who knew?

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #88 on: May 14, 2018, 02:55:46 pm »

I'm sure playing a game in LR is why the Hogs haven't won the SEC... maybe the LR game is what caused Reggie Fish to have a brain fart. Who knew?

Well, playing there hasn't helped them win the SEC, now has it?

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #89 on: May 14, 2018, 03:54:27 pm »

They do BOTH. Read my post again. When they provide recruits with the tickets for the WMS game, they also schedule a weekend when the recruits can come to campus for an official visit.

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #90 on: May 14, 2018, 03:56:26 pm »

They do BOTH. Read my post again. When they provide recruits with the tickets for the WMS game, they also schedule a weekend when the recruits can come to campus for an official visit.

What if that's the only weekend they can make it? Lots of states have zero week games, which means they have weeks without games. Again, how many out of state kids are going to WMS to watch a game, very few, if any.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #91 on: May 14, 2018, 03:59:59 pm »

LOL!!  Wrong Guv! I believe he means Governor Asa.

sowmonella

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Who threw a pizza on my roof?
« Reply #92 on: May 14, 2018, 04:09:31 pm »

LOL!!  Wrong Guv! I believe he means Governor Asa.

I thought YOU were Asa!!

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #93 on: May 14, 2018, 04:24:06 pm »

What if that's the only weekend they can make it? Lots of states have zero week games, which means they have weeks without games. Again, how many out of state kids are going to WMS to watch a game, very few, if any.

Depends on the game, but hopefully none since 2011 and none unless they make WMS presentable.

Are any gameday visits official?  There’s too much for the coaches to do on a game weekend to host an official 48-hour tour with all the bells and whistles. Every player a school is recruiting can go to as many on-campus games as he wants. Gameday recruiting is part of every game. Recruits and parents get a tour, eat with coaches before the game, spend some time on the field before warmups, and attend the game. A lot leave at the half. Nothing happens with recruits after the game.

One wall in the Fred Smith Center has floor to ceiling photos of Arkansas’s three “home” stadiums - DWRRS, WMS, and AT&T - filled to capacity.  All three are proudly presented as such by whoever conducts tour with recruits.

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #94 on: May 14, 2018, 04:28:19 pm »

Depends on the game, but hopefully none since 2011 and none unless they make WMS presentable.

Are any gameday visits official?  There’s too much for the coaches to do on a game weekend to host an official 48-hour tour with all the bells and whistles. Every player a school is recruiting can go to as many on-campus games as he wants. Gameday recruiting is part of every game. Recruits and parents get a tour, eat with coaches before the game, spend some time on the field before warmups, and attend the game. A lot leave at the half. Nothing happens with recruits after the game.

One wall in the Fred Smith Center has floor to ceiling photos of Arkansas’s three “home” stadiums - DWRRS, WMS, and AT&T - filled to capacity.  All three are proudly presented as such by whoever conducts tour with recruits.

Sure, we have kids take them on game days every year, even Bumper Pool took his on a game day. We usually get some Florida/Texas kids up for an official for a game day. You take what you can get on officials, if some 5* wants to come for the Bama game, you bring him in.

oldhog63

• Senior
« Reply #95 on: May 14, 2018, 04:31:50 pm »

From the players perspective, it is also an away game.

justmakeit2thebcs

• Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs!
« Reply #96 on: May 14, 2018, 04:40:52 pm »

From the players perspective, it is also an away game.
None of the WMS supporters put the team above their convenience, NOT ONE. 

Hog-N-Ham

• Walk-On
« Reply #97 on: May 14, 2018, 05:09:41 pm »

My strategy would be to 'Restore' WMS ... I wouldn't add seating or suites or video screens or worry about improving cell service - - put the flags back up along the top perimeter, power wash the entire stadium, preserve the memorials, plant real grass back on the field and play some football.  Fayetteville resident that supports keeping an annual game in War Memorial Stadium even though the game in Dallas is likely a key selling tool for recruiting under CCM.

HogPharmer

• KCCO
« Reply #98 on: May 14, 2018, 05:30:21 pm »

What if RRS continued to carry Pepsi, but WMS carried coke during the games (hypothetical, I know)... Then could we all just be happy?

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #99 on: May 14, 2018, 06:10:48 pm »

Sure, we have kids take them on game days every year, even Bumper Pool took his on a game day. We usually get some Florida/Texas kids up for an official for a game day. You take what you can get on officials, if some 5* wants to come for the Bama game, you bring him in.

I think there are a few, but not many based on what I saw In Fayetteville and elsewhere. Sure, if a key recruit wants to take an official on a gameday the staff will accomodate them. The advantage for the player and parents is that expenses are paid. But other than the game itself, the experience can’t be the same as it is when 48 hours are choreographed to showcase the facilities and campus and the players and coaches the recruit will be playing with.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas