• 9,923,374 Posts
• 399,163 Topics
• 22,881 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WMS Strategy  (Read 7030 times)

masbas3

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: WMS Strategy
« Reply #100 on: May 14, 2018, 07:31:44 pm »

Do you recommend this same scenario for the empty seats in RRS?  Ya'll act like WMS is the only one having trouble selling out.

This ^^^^^!!

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #101 on: May 14, 2018, 08:03:58 pm »

It's not 45,000 seats but they already have Verizon Arena and it's hosted the NCAA Tournament, SEC Tournament Championships, and the like already with great success.

And they wouldn't invest in a new scoreboard to host again.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

masbas3

• Varsity
« Reply #102 on: May 14, 2018, 08:06:47 pm »

What if RRS continued to carry Pepsi, but WMS carried coke during the games (hypothetical, I know)... Then could we all just be happy?

No.  I'd still continue to boycott buying drinks at RRS and just bring in my own.  But on the other hand, I'd look at the situation at WMS as getting significantly better just by adding coke to the menu and that would go a long way to the continuing upgrade to their facilities.

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #103 on: May 14, 2018, 08:17:55 pm »

No.  I'd still continue to boycott buying drinks at RRS and just bring in my own.  But on the other hand, I'd look at the situation at WMS as getting significantly better just by adding coke to the menu and that would go a long way to the continuing upgrade to their facilities.

They already serve Coke at WMS.

ALLVOL

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #104 on: May 14, 2018, 08:46:59 pm »

None of the WMS supporters put the team above their convenience, NOT ONE. 
Yep, you got me there...

rinds

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #105 on: May 14, 2018, 10:21:56 pm »

It's not 45,000 seats but they already have Verizon Arena and it's hosted the NCAA Tournament, SEC Tournament Championships, and the like already with great success.

right and add 45k and you get a Regional and you could host football games. Verizon is in North Little Rock.

HoginMemphis

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #106 on: May 14, 2018, 10:48:07 pm »

I actually like the idea of playing the Mizzou game in Little Rock. I don't like the game after Thanksgiving being on campus, probably due to the fact that we played LSU for so long in LR. I don't know if this is mindlessly clutching to tradition or actually a good idea, but I'll hang up and listen.
Why do you throw the word, "actually" in there? Is it surprising to like that? Makes the most sense to me to play a game in LR rather than in Fayetteville when there are more students in LR than there are in Fayetteville the day after Thanksgiving.

masbas3

• Varsity
« Reply #107 on: May 14, 2018, 11:29:17 pm »

right and add 45k and you get a Regional and you could host football games. Verizon is in North Little Rock.

Really?  Verizon is on the north side of the river?  The dickens you say!  The only thing that separates Little Rock from North Little Rock is a river, I don't care what either side says.  When big acts come to play at Verizon they don't say they're coming to North Little Rock, they say they're coming to Little Rock Arkansas.  I wonder if that sticks in North Little Rocks craw?

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #108 on: May 15, 2018, 06:53:36 am »

Really?  Verizon is on the north side of the river?  The dickens you say!  The only thing that separates Little Rock from North Little Rock is a river, I don't care what either side says.  When big acts come to play at Verizon they don't say they're coming to North Little Rock, they say they're coming to Little Rock Arkansas.  I wonder if that sticks in North Little Rocks craw?

No it doesn't because NLR is getting the tax money from Verizon Arena and Dickey Stephens field while Little Rock isn't getting any of it.

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #109 on: May 15, 2018, 07:00:41 am »

I know that dumbass.  HogPharmer asked a hypothetical question which I'm sure he was just being humorous, so I played along with it just to show how simply idiotic this GSD debate is.  Try to keep up with things dumbass.

Pharmer isn't every humorous, try to learn who is, and isn't. I'm surprised you know anything, much less what is served for refreshments.

riccoar

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Serving Hogville since 11-08-03
« Reply #110 on: May 15, 2018, 07:09:52 am »

Doubtful.  Because the check gets signed to North Little Rock.

NaturalStateReb

• Czar of Arkansas
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #111 on: May 15, 2018, 09:42:25 am »

Bulldoze then what?  I assume you are going cover the demolition.  I bet that you aren't even a Central AR resident.  The demolition of WMS would end in the same way Ray Winder Feild did, as UAMS parking lot.

If the state does decide to demo WMS at some future date, the best deal for the taxpayer is to sell both this parcel and the adjoining Health Department complex to a private buyer for redevelopment and then build a modern Health Department building somewhere else where the land is cheaper.

The land itself is worth a considerable amount of money.

masbas3

• Varsity
« Reply #112 on: May 15, 2018, 09:47:16 am »

Pharmer isn't every humorous, try to learn who is, and isn't. I'm surprised you know anything, much less what is serzved for refreshments.

Well, I've learned that you're not, and I've also learned that you can't spell, so that's two things going for me.  I also know you're the Hogville resident idiot, so that's a title you should hold in reverence, no one is standing in line wanting to take that one from you big boy.

masbas3

• Varsity
« Reply #113 on: May 15, 2018, 09:53:14 am »

Doubtful.  Because the check gets signed to North Little Rock.

Please read again, I didn't say anything in my post about where the check was signed to, I just said that when Verizon had big events coming in, and these singers or events like Monster trucks or whatever events were talking up their upcoming shows, they never say North Little Rock, they just say Little Rock as the destination.  And I said that has to stick in the craw of North Little Rock somewhat, even though they are getting the money for it.

masbas3

• Varsity
« Reply #114 on: May 15, 2018, 09:56:59 am »

No it doesn't because NLR is getting the tax money from Verizon Arena and Dickey Stephens field while Little Rock isn't getting any of it.

Reading comprehension my friend is your downfall.  I didn't say anything about who was getting paid now did I?

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #115 on: May 15, 2018, 10:16:59 am »

Well, I've learned that you're not, and I've also learned that you can't spell, so that's two things going for me.  I also know you're the Hogville resident idiot, so that's a title you should hold in reverence, no one is standing in line wanting to take that one from you big boy.

Wow,you have two things going for you, your Mom must be so proud. I guess your following me around makes you the resident "idiot in training". Congrats
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 11:13:31 am by ricepig »

HogPharmer

• KCCO
« Reply #116 on: May 15, 2018, 10:18:02 am »

Pharmer isn't every humorous, try to learn who is, and isn't. I'm surprised you know anything, much less what is served for refreshments.

I take back the Mich Ultra I promised you the other day!

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #117 on: May 15, 2018, 10:22:08 am »

I take back the Mich Ultra I promised you the other day!

You're sarcastic, not humorous!

HogPharmer

• KCCO
« Reply #118 on: May 15, 2018, 10:24:44 am »

I can't argue with that.

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I need help with my footwork, too.
« Reply #119 on: May 15, 2018, 11:04:45 am »

Humor and sarcasm are cousins.

LAHogfan123

• Senior
  • Hogzilla
« Reply #120 on: May 15, 2018, 11:10:01 am »

I think that WMS has alot of life left in her but she will need a huge facelift to attract any big names to come and play there.

rhames

« Reply #121 on: May 15, 2018, 11:11:07 am »

Ugh, again with the terrible spelling.  Where did you go to school, Pine Knot?

WHAT IS THIS??? A CENTER FOR ANTS?!?!

hogcards

• The Glimmer Twins
« Reply #122 on: May 15, 2018, 11:19:59 am »

What does Verizon hold?  Something like 18k?

HogRyder

• Band Nerd
« Reply #123 on: May 15, 2018, 11:46:08 am »

Please read again, I didn't say anything in my post about where the check was signed to, I just said that when Verizon had big events coming in, and these singers or events like Monster trucks or whatever events were talking up their upcoming shows, they never say North Little Rock, they just say Little Rock as the destination.  And I said that has to stick in the craw of North Little Rock somewhat, even though they are getting the money for it.

Owner of Verizon arena is Pulaski County Multi-Purpose Civic Center Facilities Board. Since it was built with a county wide sales tax.

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #124 on: May 15, 2018, 11:51:02 am »

I think that WMS has alot of life left in her but she will need a huge facelift to attract any big names to come and play there.

Huge OOC games should go to DWRRS, but the trend these days is to play those kind of games at a neutral site in an NFL stadium.

If one game per year stays at WMS, Missouri makes sense Thanksgiving week, with a G5 opponent in off years. That approach perpetuates the Little Rock presence and sense of ownership, is a reasonable compromise on loss of revenue, and makes Missouri fans travel further while students are gone in Fayetteville.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #125 on: May 15, 2018, 11:58:16 am »

I'm not sure they can raise the amount of money it would take to make WMS a nice stadium.  For sure, the seating and restroom areas in both end zones needs to be torn out and rebuilt in concrete. That's just the beginning.

ALLVOL

« Reply #126 on: May 15, 2018, 12:11:47 pm »

This is an accurate post

LAHogfan123

• Senior
  • Hogzilla
« Reply #127 on: May 15, 2018, 01:16:52 pm »

Huge OOC games should go to DWRRS, but the trend these days is to play those kind of games at a neutral site in an NFL stadium.

If one game per year stays at WMS, Missouri makes sense Thanksgiving week, with a G5 opponent in off years. That approach perpetuates the Little Rock presence and sense of ownership, is a reasonable compromise on loss of revenue, and makes Missouri fans travel further while students are gone in Fayetteville.

This would be a great idea, Missouri I think would be a better game to be played there instead of Ole Miss.  It's a short drive for the Ole Miss fans but a longer drive for Missouri fans and since the students are all gone home for TG it would be a good time to play a game on a neutral site.

justmakeit2thebcs

• Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs!
« Reply #128 on: May 15, 2018, 01:51:21 pm »

How many times does the line in bold have to be proven wrong before you admit it??

Look, I support the games being moved to Fayetteville but let's not make false statements to try and bolster your point. Both Bobby Petrino and Houston Nutt stated several times that playing in WMS does not hurt recruiting and that they have plenty of other weekends to schedule on campus visits. The U of A is allowed to provide tickets to recruits for the WMS game and they then schedule a later time for those recruits to visit the campus. Bret Bielema didn't know what he was talking about.
Bullsh*t on Petrino stating that taking away a home game didn't hurt recruiting.   If you knew Bobby or spent any time around him, you would know his opinion on LR.   HDN was a homer, he wouldn't ever say anything bad about LR. 

LAHogfan123

• Senior
  • Hogzilla
« Reply #129 on: May 15, 2018, 03:04:06 pm »

Bullsh*t on Petrino stating that taking away a home game didn't hurt recruiting.   If you knew Bobby or spent any timze around him, you would know his opinion on LR.   HDN was a homer, he wouldn't ever say anything bad about LR.

Hello to you Jessica Dorrell, I was wondering if you were ever going to show yourself on Hogville to answer some questions for us.  Been on any more Harleys lately?

HogPharmer

• KCCO
« Reply #130 on: May 16, 2018, 07:47:59 am »

Bullsh*t on Petrino stating that taking away a home game didn't hurt recruiting.   If you knew Bobby or spent any time around him, you would know his opinion on LR.   HDN was a homer, he wouldn't ever say anything bad about LR.

How much time did you spend around Bobby?

masbas3

• Varsity
« Reply #131 on: May 16, 2018, 08:22:38 am »

According to LAhogfan she spent plenty of time with him, especially on the back of a Harley Davidson.  That cracked me up.

HogPharmer

• KCCO
« Reply #132 on: May 16, 2018, 08:27:46 am »

According to LAhogfan she spent plenty of time with him, especially on the back of a Harley Davidson.  That cracked me up.

I guess getting text messages during half time of the WMS games from Bobby makes her a reliable source.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #133 on: May 16, 2018, 08:32:15 am »

It isn't bull. Petrino stated what I posted about WMS on more than one occasion. He was very adamant in his assertion that playing in WMS did not hurt recruiting. CBB is the only Hog Head Coach who didn't like playing there.

go hogues

• You're at an eight but we need you at a two.
« Reply #134 on: May 16, 2018, 08:51:53 am »

If the state does decide to demo WMS at some future date, the best deal for the taxpayer is to sell both this parcel and the adjoining Health Department complex to a private buyer for redevelopment and then build a modern Health Department building somewhere else where the land is cheaper.

The land itself is worth a considerable amount of money.
One of the ideas is to reconfigure WMS for a soccer stadium and build several more soccer fields around it and then market LR as a national soccer tournament/jamboree site.

justmakeit2thebcs

• Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs!
« Reply #135 on: May 16, 2018, 09:16:45 am »

It isn't bull. Petrino stated what I posted about WMS on more than one occasion. He was very adamant in his assertion that playing in WMS did not hurt recruiting. CBB is the only Hog Head Coach who didn't like playing there.
Adamant huh? Link?  Even so, Bobby would tell the press whatever LR wanted/needed to hear.  Privately he hated it.

justmakeit2thebcs

• Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs!
« Reply #136 on: May 16, 2018, 09:18:53 am »

Enough for him to speak freely.

RyanMallettsEgo

• Take it easy, I'm pre-law.
« Reply #137 on: May 16, 2018, 09:21:05 am »

Enough for him to speak freely.

Set this straight, Jessica...you're saying you and Bobby even had pillow talk?

justmakeit2thebcs

• Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs!
« Reply #138 on: May 16, 2018, 10:10:40 am »

Set this straight, Jessica...you're saying you and Bobby even had pillow talk?
Are you looking for a total number of minutes? or number of times I been in his presence?  I'm not James Comey, I don't have detailed notes of all of our encounters.   I've been around the program regardless of who the coach is.  If I see something posted that I know to be wrong (usually someone with an agenda, others just repeating what someone with an agenda said), I will refute the falsehood.  You can choose to believe or not, your choice.   Those with an agenda won't, those with an open mind will at least think twice.   

RyanMallettsEgo

« Reply #139 on: May 16, 2018, 10:13:33 am »

Are you looking for a total number of minutes? or number of times I been in his presence?  I'm not James Comey, I don't have detailed notes of all of our encounters.   I've been around the program regardless of who the coach is.  If I see something posted that I know to be wrong (usually someone with an agenda, others just repeating what someone with an agenda said), I will refute the falsehood.  You can choose to believe or not, your choice.   Those with an agenda won't, those with an open mind will at least think twice.

Yeah, well, I'm Elon Musk, and you can't prove that I'm not. Surprise!

"You can choose to believe or not, your choice.   Those with an agenda won't, those with an open mind will at least think twice."
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 10:25:01 am by RyanMallettsEgo »

HogPharmer

• KCCO
« Reply #140 on: May 16, 2018, 10:20:09 am »

You used to purchase minutes via cell phone plans. So how many minutes, on average, would you say you two went thru a month on your Cricket plan?

masbas3

• Varsity
« Reply #141 on: May 16, 2018, 10:46:37 am »

So tell us really what happened Jessica, Bobby didn't get his face looking like it did having having a motorcycle accident, I've had several.   It was your boyfriend that whooped Bobby's ass wasn't it.  😄

HogPharmer

• KCCO
« Reply #142 on: May 16, 2018, 10:55:34 am »

So tell us really what happened Jessica, Bobby didn't get his face looking like it did having having a motorcycle accident, I've had several.   It was your boyfriend that whooped Bobby's ass wasn't it.  😄

I've always thought that's what happened, personally.

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #143 on: May 16, 2018, 12:10:45 pm »

Surely you remember why Petrino said he hated Little Rock. What did he give you as his reasons?  Was it the condition of the stadium?  The field?  The travel?  Not being able to host recruits?  All of the above?

One thing is for sure.  Petrino couldn't have hated his 8-0 record in WMS or the crowds that showed up to support his teams.  Every single game, from Louisiana Monroe in 2008 to Mississippi State in 2011, was a sellout.  55,028 showed up for Petrino's first game in Little Rock in 2008 against Louisiana Monroe.  Later that year, 55,325 were on hand after Arkansas had been eliminated from bowl eligibility to see Arkansas beat LSU 31-30 on a fourth down Casey Dick to London Crawford TD pass with 22 seconds left.

The standing room only crowd that watched Arkansas clinch a Sugar Bowl berth against LSU 31-23 in 2010 was one of the top three crowds I've ever seen in WMS.  The other two were the 1974 22-7 win over USC and the 1975 31-6 win over Texas A&M.  I don't think anyone ever sat down at any of those games and everyone lost their voice.  Something must have given Mike Leach a reason to say WMS is the loudest place he's ever played.  The fans there are completely nuts when they have a reason to be.

Whether games at WMS should continue is a legitimate question.  The history of sellouts, raucous crowds and success there from the mid-50's through 2011 is not.

DLUXHOG

• It'll feel better when it quits hurtin'
« Reply #144 on: May 16, 2018, 12:20:28 pm »

Surely you remember why Petrino said he hated Little Rock. What did he give you as his reasons?  Was it the condition of the stadium?  The field?  The travel?  Not being able to host recruits?  All of the above?

One thing is for sure.  Petrino couldn't have hated his 8-0 record in WMS or the crowds that showed up to support his teams.  Every single game, from Louisiana Monroe in 2008 to Mississippi State in 2011, was a sellout.  55,028 showed up for Petrino's first game in Little Rock in 2008 against Louisiana Monroe.  Later that year, 55,325 were on hand after Arkansas had been eliminated from bowl eligibility to see Arkansas beat LSU 31-30 on a fourth down Casey Dick to London Crawford TD pass with 22 seconds left.

The standing room only crowd that watched Arkansas clinch a Sugar Bowl berth against LSU 31-23 in 2010 was one of the top three crowds I've ever seen in WMS.  The other two were the 1974 22-7 win over USC and the 1975 31-6 win over Texas A&M.  I don't think anyone ever sat down at any of those games and everyone lost their voice.  Something must have given Mike Leach a reason to say WMS is the loudest place he's ever played.  The fans there are completely nuts when they have a reason to be.

Whether games at WMS should continue is a legitimate question.  The history of sellouts, raucous crowds and success there from the mid-50's through 2011 is not.

He could’ve had an undefeated record at the Harrison Goblins stadium against those teams....   the other games you mention were not of the Petrino era and who are you to say that the Hogs could not, and would not have duplicated those wins at RWRRS?   I was at the Alabama game in Fayetteville a few years ago and I guarantee you it was a louder crowd than any ever at WMS, or in Texas Stadium where I was a Cowboys season ticket holder for 20+ years...

RyanMallettsEgo

« Reply #145 on: May 16, 2018, 12:23:36 pm »

He could’ve had an undefeated record at the Harrison Goblins stadium against those teams....   the other games you mention were not of the Petrino era and who are you to say that the Hogs could not, and would not have duplicated those wins at RWRRS?   I was at the Alabama game in Fayetteville a few years ago and I guarantee you it was a louder crowd than any ever at WMS, or in Texas Stadium where I was a Cowboys season ticket holder for 20+ years...

Where in his post did he say anything remotely close to that? You whiffed pretty badly on the purpose of his post.

HogRyder

• Band Nerd
« Reply #146 on: May 16, 2018, 12:25:02 pm »

Best post in this thread!   Regardless if games continue at WMS or not; respecting the impact of playing there through the years cannot be questioned nor can the amount of alumni from central Arkansas that was created by doing so. 

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #147 on: May 16, 2018, 12:39:04 pm »

He could’ve had an undefeated record at the Harrison Goblins stadium against those teams....   

Maybe. 

Arkansas was 4-7 in 2008 and LSU was 7-4.  Arkansas was down 30-14 in the second half before scoring 21 unanswered points.  LSU went on to beat Georgia Tech 38-3 in the Chick-Fil-A Bowl. 

In 2010, Arkansas was number 12 going into the game.  LSU was 6.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.
« Reply #148 on: May 16, 2018, 12:54:10 pm »

WHy the drop in attendance from 2012-the present?

RyanMallettsEgo

« Reply #149 on: May 16, 2018, 01:09:15 pm »

WHy the drop in attendance from 2012-the present?

I'm sure the same could be asked for DWRRS.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas