• 394,713 Topics
• 22,261 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Bijon Jackson tweet  (Read 8416 times)

justmakeit2thebcs

Re: Bijon Jackson tweet
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2018, 09:03:00 pm »

I'm sure his head coach's dislike for playing in LR had a huge impact on that statement.  Every other team had a better experience.
Not true, all the players I know from the 80's that weren't from the LR area hated it as well.   

justmakeit2thebcs

« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2018, 09:05:48 pm »

If it hurts recruiting Little Rock will you whiny Fayetteville fans still go for it?
If it were up to me, NWA would be the 51st state.  Mississippi wouldn't be last anymore.  :)

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

greasy_corner

« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2018, 09:10:47 pm »

Take from this what you will but I will make this comment for the last time. I played against many future razorbacks in little rock and with them on the hill. A lot of those players would have never seen a game live if it weren't for the little rock games.  Take all the games away if you want but it matters.

Not anymore. 

Why not take official visits to the campus? 

ricepig

« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2018, 09:12:44 pm »

Take from this what you will but I will make this comment for the last time. I played against many future razorbacks in little rock and with them on the hill. A lot of those players would have never seen a game live if it weren't for the little rock games.  Take all the games away if you want but it matters.

So, leave the FCS games?

ricepig

« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2018, 09:13:58 pm »

Not anymore. 

Why not take official visits to the campus? 

Yeah, those Pulaski Robinson kids never get up to campus......

Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter

• President and life time member of the Hobby Shop.
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • SPORTS HAS NEVER BEEN SO UGLY!
    • facebook.com/uglyuncle.
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2018, 09:14:57 pm »

Not true, all the players I know from the 80's that weren't from the LR area hated it as well.   

I do not know a single player from the 80's that didn't love Little Rock.  I know a lot of them, and have interviewed more of them.  I'm not saying the day hasn't passed, but it was the place to play up until the last decade or so.

kodiakisland

« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2018, 09:16:37 pm »

Yeah, those Pulaski Robinson kids never get up to campus......

Yeah.  Everyone knows you can't drive from LR to Fayetteville.

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2018, 09:18:11 pm »

Yeah.  Everyone knows you can't drive from LR to Fayetteville.

You can.  The problem is you can't drive from Fayetteville to Little Rock.  That is where I was from and people didn't support their Razorbacks enough to come to Little Rock for the games.  Sad.

From Tusk Till Dawn

• Senior
  • Facts are stubborn things...
« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2018, 09:18:48 pm »

If weather conditions were similar in FV, I wonder if the stadium would have only had 10% capacity for attendance at the spring game?

greasy_corner

« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2018, 09:20:57 pm »

What fills the stands these days?  A winning product on the field.  Modern day LR (not the old school fans) has shown they will not support the Razorbacks when they are down.  Why waste anymore resources?  Stop losing money and recruiting opps.  Stop making the players take an extra road trip.  Stop allowing Ole Miss to have as easy of a drive to an away game as we have.     

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #60 on: May 03, 2018, 09:23:13 pm »

What fills the stands these days?  A winning product on the field.  Modern day LR (not the old school fans) has shown they will not support the Razorbacks when they are down.  Why waste anymore resources?  Stop losing money and recruiting opps.  Stop making the players take an extra road trip.  Stop allowing Ole Miss to have as easy of a drive to an away game as we have.     

I would prefer to play Mizzou in Little Rock every other year.  Make them have a longer drive.

Sed76

• Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #61 on: May 03, 2018, 09:24:56 pm »

Wouldn't surprise me at all if and when the games are pulled. With that being said our new AD and coach have talked at length about uniting fans from every corner of the state. Killing Little Rock right now would make that look like a load of bull. Last game at WMS in 2011 when Oklahoma State had lost on a Thursday night and we could move to #3 in the BCS with a win over Mississippi State that place was incredible. Amazing what 6 years of bad to mediocre football did to the atmosphere and excitement.

ricepig

« Reply #62 on: May 03, 2018, 09:25:52 pm »

You can.  The problem is you can't drive from Fayetteville to Little Rock.  That is where I was from and people didn't support their Razorbacks enough to come to Little Rock for the games.  Sad.

8000 tickets sold to NWA residents for WMS games, and of course, you eliminate 10,000 students from going.

PorkRinds

« Reply #63 on: May 03, 2018, 09:28:07 pm »

Wouldn't surprise me at all if and when the games are pulled. With that being said our new AD and coach have talked talked at length about uniting fans from every corner of the state. Killing Little Rock right now would make that look like a load of bull. Last game at WMS in 2011 when Oklahoma State had lost on a Thursday night and we could move to #3 in the BCS with a win over Mississippi State that place was incredible. Amazing what 6 years of bad to mediocre football did to the atmosphere and excitement.

They wonít do it unless we start winning big. Then no one will care.

greasy_corner

« Reply #64 on: May 03, 2018, 09:34:34 pm »

I would prefer to play Mizzou in Little Rock every other year.  Make them have a longer drive.

That's a better alternative than scheduling ole miss in LR.

And I should have added to to my original post that Fayetteville/NWA is not going to fill the stands with an inferior product on the field either.   

LR has been Fan-[CENSORED]-tastic to the Hogs.  We would not be half the football program we are without the games in LR, and the fans that yelled their asses off for the Hogs in the heat and the the sleet.  But now we have to move on. 

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #65 on: May 03, 2018, 09:38:28 pm »

You think a control freak like BP liked playing there?  Besides fan support home field advantage is because it's where you eat drink sleep practice have your routine. Coaching and playing is all about routine and repetition.  Of course active players are good kids and want to please the fans so they are going to say nice things. And I also have no doubt that after the tweet some current and former players will come out and praise LR.  But if you are a fan and you want to win at the highest level or have the program reach full potential more than satisfying an outdated tradition you too hate playing games in LR. Finally a player had the guts to speak the truth.  Just afraid it will also embolden the pee paws again

sowmonella

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Who threw a pizza on my roof?
« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2018, 09:47:05 pm »

Unless the state ponies up about $20 Million and makes WMS at least presentable LR games will come to an end.

Phil D

« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2018, 09:50:24 pm »

I have no dog in this fight, - - - and not much of a financial stake in the debate either way, - - - - but I strongly feel that The University Of Arkansas should now  play all of its home games at Fayetteville.  I was in the stands at WMS to watch Chuck Dicus, "Light Horse" Harry Lee, Bill Montgomery, Joe Ferguson, Dickey Morton and a number of other illustrious Razorback legends do their thing in Little Rock.  But that was then, - - and this is now.

I won't get my nose out of joint should the Powers That Be decide to continue the traditional WMS connection; but I believe it to be absolutely unnecessary.
100% agree with this. I will never forget the memories, but time to move on.

jkstock04

« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2018, 09:53:16 pm »

You know this how? because he asked for a plane instead of a bus so the players wouldn't get home at 3:00 am?  Or that it took away an opportunity for official visits from recruits? 
He spoke of considering it the same as an away game. Hilarious how you constantly defend him on here.

Wild Bill Hog

« Reply #69 on: May 03, 2018, 10:02:41 pm »

I would prefer if the players' concentration was on winning the games that are scheduled (something they have not done a very good job of), and spend less time complaining about where the games are scheduled.  Location has not been the problem.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2018, 10:07:40 pm »

If it hurts recruiting Little Rock will you whiny Fayetteville fans still go for it?

Recruiting LR has not been the same as before for a long time. Thatís the fault of the LR schools not the Fayetteville fans. By the way I donít live in Fayetteville or LR and Iíve had season tickets to both ever since Iíve had season tickets. I live in a Memphis suburb and prefer all the games to be on campus.

hoglady

« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2018, 10:08:16 pm »

I miss Ray Winder...

I actually do miss Ray Winder Field - I love Dickey-Stephens but I still miss Ray Winder.

But I'm different than most on here - I like Barton better than Verizon - for basketball and especially when the hockey games were here. Much preferred the Glacier Cats at Barton over the Riverblades at Alltel.

Give me a seat, a Coke and running water in the bathroom and I'm good.
The bells and whistles don't mean much.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2018, 10:12:37 pm »

I actually do miss Ray Winder Field - I love Dickey-Stephens but I still miss Ray Winder.

But I'm different than most on here - I like Barton better than Verizon - for basketball and especially when the hockey games were here. Much preferred the Glacier Cats at Barton over the Riverblades at Alltel.

Let me guess, you still wash clothes in an old style ringer washer and cook on a wood burning stove.

Wild Bill Hog

« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2018, 10:20:56 pm »

Let me guess, you still wash clothes in an old style ringer washer and cook on a wood burning stove.

My wife does.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2018, 10:22:46 pm »

What did they call the homer hole and did anybody ever see someone hit it?  I saw Boot Day come real close.

Hawgphat

• Hogvillian
« Reply #75 on: May 03, 2018, 10:29:43 pm »

I have - in my early childhood - eaten meals cooked on an old wood-burning stove by my maternal grandmother in the tiny railroad ties industry fueled village of Tilton, AR (eastern AR).  According to my childhood remembrance, the scrumptious taste of that heavenly product FAR surpasses  that of any victuals cooked by electricity or gas.

I must admit, however; - - I've never tasted anything cooked in an old style wringer washer, so I"m unqualified to render judgment in regard to that particular culinary experience.

:-\

Sho Nuff

« Reply #76 on: May 03, 2018, 10:44:31 pm »

The "tweet" at the end of the link had to be removed. I just read it too, now that the edit was made. I realize players may feel that way and I can't blame them, but I wish he hadn't said that publicly.
Agreed

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #77 on: May 03, 2018, 10:45:45 pm »

As a kid I loved going to see the Razorbacks play at War Memorial (I've always had an attachment to the stadium because when it was dedicated back in 1951 or so, my father played "Taps" - he was first chair trumpet for the combined Arkansas/Louisiana National Guard Band, so when Harry S Truman came away with his hand on his heart) and I went to around a dozen games.

I never see games any longer because I simply can't afford the tickets. But I have to say that it hurts to hear people say that they don't want an association with LR. Some great games have been played here and I'd doubt if the atmosphere has been anything but a massive home advantage EVER.

Playing in LR makes a statement, namely that the Razorbacks are the ARKANSAS Razorbacks. Not just the University of Arkansas Razorbacks, but the State of Arkansas Razorbacks. Insisting on playing only in Fayetteville would have disastrous consequences. It would be the beginning of the marginalization of the Hogs. Playing only in Fayetteville would be restricting the team to only one part of the state. Five years we might not see much of a change or . even in ten years. But in 20 years we might start seeing a real change. The advantages of playing an extra game or two a year in Fayetteville would not come close to off setting the losses that would result from the erosion of support for the team. Right now the Razorbacks belong spiritually to more than just those who attend or who have attended the U of A.

That doesn't mean that LR shouldn't do more to improve War Memorial. Though certainly the university should also make sure that the stadium is getting some help.

I've talked to a couple of kids who were looking at places to play football or basketball about what make the Hogs unique and I put in my two cents. (One went to Baylor and the other to Georgia Tech, but the former's Dad had attended Baylor while the other kid lived in a suburb of Atlanta.) But over the years it is stressed to an endless string of recruits that if you play at Arkansas, you are supported by a passionate statewide fanbase. The state has no professional team, so we pull for the Hogs the way Chicago pulls for Da Bears or Midwest Catholics pull for Notre Dame. But what makes that a reasonable claim to make is the few games played in LR. End that game and the fanbase shrinks. A little bit at first, but faster after that.

A lot of emotional assumptions in that post. ALL schools in every state try to get as much support as they can no matter what part of the state they are located in.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #78 on: May 03, 2018, 10:48:40 pm »

I do not know a single player from the 80's that didn't love Little Rock.  I know a lot of them, and have interviewed more of them.  I'm not saying the day hasn't passed, but it was the place to play up until the last decade or so.

I know some  that didnít love LR. Never did love it. They didnít mind playing there but thatís not the same as loving it. Even if a player loved it they might also have loved playing in Fayetteville. Things started to change a long time before the last decade. Of course I can only speak for those players I know. I grew up in central Arkansas and my dad had season tickets before me for a long time in both places. He actually preferred Fayetteville. It was kind of a mini vacation for him and my family. Plus he had better seats there! He especially loved going up there when I started school there in the late 70ís.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 11:00:11 pm by Inhogswetrust »

The Hogfather

« Reply #79 on: May 03, 2018, 11:23:49 pm »

I'm indifferent but Bielema hated playing in Little Rock. I'm sure that rubbed off on the players some.

This!  It is one frucking game.  How do you HATE that?  It is all about attitude.

Hollywood_HOGan45

• Hollywood could coach better than nutt.
« Reply #80 on: May 04, 2018, 05:47:32 am »

Should have stopped playing in Waste Management Stadium the second we lost to ULM in 12 and definitely Toledo in 15.

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #81 on: May 04, 2018, 05:51:09 am »

Should have stopped playing in Waste Management Stadium the second we lost to ULM in 12 and definitely Toledo in 15.

So that means we shouldn't have been playing in RRS since Texas Tech made us look like a high school team?

Hollywood_HOGan45

• Hollywood could coach better than nutt.
« Reply #82 on: May 04, 2018, 05:59:04 am »

So that means we shouldn't have been playing in RRS since Texas Tech made us look like a high school team?

Absolutely. Because Texas Tech (from a power 5 league) is on the same level as ULM and Toledo.

smh

masbas3

• Varsity
« Reply #83 on: May 04, 2018, 06:01:46 am »

And that has always been a part of my concern. With every game being on television, and unless Arkansas is really good, lots of kids from Pine Bluff south may gravitate toward LSU or Alabama, which has been happening for quite a few years btw.

There are several hundred thousand people in north west Arkansas who are from somewhere else. Will they or their children become Razorback fans? Or will they stay fans of their own Alma Maters?

I can tell you right now, that a lot of regular Joe's that would spend a Saturday driving to Little Rock to watch a Razorback game are not going to Fayetteville. So the question remains, can Northwest Arkansas and those in Little Rock who are really and truly fans support that stadium and even the program?

I'll answer the question for you LZH, No, they won't.  With the population of NWA being what it is these days, it in itself should easily be able to support the Razorbacks, but I doubt that there is 10,000 fans from NWA that are diehard Hog fans.  All you have to do is look at I40 and other less traveled roads towards NWA on any game day or the day before and see the huge amount of traffic streaming toward Fayetteville with their Razorback flags, magnets, etc., to know just where all of the fans come from to see the Razorbacks play.  They come from all over, from every corner of the State and States beyond.  The Razorbacks do not belong to NWA, the day they do is the day they lose status and become AState.  I would like to see all home games played in Fayetteville, just because its their home Stadium.  I've seen the best games of my lifetime played in WMS, and I've been a fan since 1964.  But in order to grow and to be financially stable, the Hogs need to give up games in Little Rock and I'll be sad to see that end but they will survive and everything will be better in the long run.  I do wish that the game each year in AT&T Stadium would end as well though, we don't need this game as many think.  We should go to a home and home series with A&M.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 06:26:43 am by masbas3 »

Peter Porker

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Love God. Love Others. It's that simple.
« Reply #84 on: May 04, 2018, 06:06:49 am »

The whole "it hurts recruiting" argument is silly. Most players can't make it for an official during a game anyway because they're playing their own games on Friday nights. That's why we used to get so many visits in January and with the official visits allowed during the spring, official visits during games will diminish even more. I don't care if they play in WMS or not, but the "hurts recruiting" is silly and doesn't hold any water.

masbas3

• Varsity
« Reply #85 on: May 04, 2018, 06:30:47 am »

If weather conditions were similar in FV, I wonder if the stadium would have only had 10% capacity for attendance at the spring game?

It would have been worse.

masbas3

• Varsity
« Reply #86 on: May 04, 2018, 06:38:55 am »

8000 tickets sold to NWA residents for WMS games, and of course, you eliminate 10,000 students from going.

So, as big as NWA has become, just 8,000 tickets?  That would be the same I promise you for a home game as well in Fayetteville.  And 10,000 students?  There will never be a game at Arkansas where we have 10,000 students in the stands, we're not Wisconsin or Penn State where the students get so fired up about going to the games every weekend.

Deep Shoat

• The Artist formerly known as Hong Kong Sooey
« Reply #87 on: May 04, 2018, 06:46:27 am »

This is another issue that proves most of you arenít really Hog fams.

You are you fans.  The Hogs are just one of the ways you choose to express it. 

Thatís why you canít give up WMS games even though it is clearly better for the program.  Thatís why you get so ridiculously angry when the team doesnít meet your expectations.  Thatís why you think itís perfectly acceptable to attack players and want to fire coaches at the drop of a hat.

You arenít Razorback fans.  You just love you some you...

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors

ricepig

« Reply #89 on: May 04, 2018, 07:07:42 am »

So, as big as NWA has become, just 8,000 tickets?  That would be the same I promise you for a home game as well in Fayetteville.  And 10,000 students?  There will never be a game at Arkansas where we have 10,000 students in the stands, we're not Wisconsin or Penn State where the students get so fired up about going to the games every weekend.

You obviously are just arguing for arguing sake, or course there have been plenty of games with 10,000 students. As to your other ignorant reply, NWA purchases 35,081 or 50% of the seats for RRS, whereas Central Ark purchases only 45% of the seats for WMS.

mhsbc59

• "Cause thats how I Role"
« Reply #90 on: May 04, 2018, 07:29:42 am »

I'm indifferent but Bielema hated playing in Little Rock. I'm sure that rubbed off on the players some.

I agree

i would bet Nutts players loved it because he loved playing there

Peter Porker

• Love God. Love Others. It's that simple.
« Reply #91 on: May 04, 2018, 07:30:23 am »

It is funny when WMS doesn't sell out it's Central Arkansas fans" fault and when Fayetteville doesn't, it's also Central Arkansas fans' fault. It's as if NWA fans think they  are too good to drive down to Little Rock.

ricepig

« Reply #92 on: May 04, 2018, 07:36:59 am »

It is funny when WMS doesn't sell out it's Central Arkansas fans" fault and when Fayetteville doesn't, it's also Central Arkansas fans' fault. It's as if NWA fans think they  are too good to drive down to Little Rock.
I'm not from NWA, but maybe they are allowing all those fans who clamored for games in WMS, the opportunity to purchase them? As to blaming CA for not selling out RRS, I haven't heard of that, doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #93 on: May 04, 2018, 07:40:11 am »

If it were up to me, NWA would be the 51st state.  Mississippi wouldn't be last anymore.  :)

NWAís economy is strong. Some of the other parts of the state not so much.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #94 on: May 04, 2018, 07:44:22 am »

Heck itís way past time to quit playing there if not for any other reason than to stop all the threads and arguments about it.

HogShat

• Senior
  • Come on in boys! The water is fine!!
« Reply #95 on: May 04, 2018, 07:44:53 am »

Shocking! With him playing at El DooDoo, I figured he would be used to a nice field within a dump of a stadium.... 8)

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #96 on: May 04, 2018, 07:45:29 am »

I agree

i would bet Nutts players loved it because he loved playing there
Donít assume all of his players liked Nutt or understood his infatuation with WMS. Another poster is right. The players from LR and close to it might have liked it but remember that only represents a portion of the team and not a majority. In a given year by only signing up to 25 Iíd bet less than 8 per year signing are from LR or the immediate area. That means out of 85 players less than half have any emotional or family ties to the area.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 02:16:25 pm by Inhogswetrust »

mhsbc59

• "Cause thats how I Role"
« Reply #97 on: May 04, 2018, 07:51:56 am »

Donít assume all of his players liked Nutt or understood his infatuation with WMS. Another poster is right. The players from LR and close to it might have liked it but remember that only represents a portion of the team and not a majority. In a given year by only signing up to 25 Iíd bet less than 8 are from LRor the immediate area. That means out of 85 players less than half have any emotional or family ties to the area.

I just know that Nutts teams always played really well in Little Rock

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #98 on: May 04, 2018, 07:55:43 am »

I just know that Nutts teams always played really well in Little Rock

There is some truth in that. Maybe he emphasized it more than other coaches have. Who knows for sure. Plus look at the players he had from the area. Each team is different. Each coach is different. I checked and we only have 16 current players on the roster from LR or itís suburbs within less than a hours drive from there. Why anyone thinks the rest of the players need to have an emotional attachment to WMS the same as Nutt and other older folks from the area that remembers all that happened there is not rational.

hoglady

« Reply #99 on: May 04, 2018, 07:56:36 am »

Not a chance.
In fact, I'm loving my voice activated remote from Comcast right now.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 7   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas