• 394,771 Topics
• 22,262 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Bijon Jackson tweet  (Read 8477 times)

ricepig

Bijon Jackson tweet
« on: May 03, 2018, 05:30:58 pm »

https://twitter.com/BijhonJ/status/992162868429803520?s=20
Many fans are ready to be done with Little Rock. I can tell you 1st hand that the players hate playing in Little Rock. Itís time to be done with it

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
Re: Bijon Jackson tweet
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 05:34:09 pm »

https://twitter.com/BijhonJ/status/992162868429803520tweet

Many fans are ready to be done with Little Rock. I can tell you 1st hand that the players hate playing in Little Rock. Itís time to be done with it

That link says it doesn't exist.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

razorbackfaninar

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 05:42:18 pm »

He's right.  I'm sure people loved their black and white television sets but we don't still sit around and use them.  It was a tradition, a great tradition, but it has run it's course and dragging it out like this is only making it worse.  We need the administration to get some balls and just end it.  There will be some bitching and we may lose some fans, but if we lose people over this one game a year in Little rock they weren't that dedicated anyway.  I highly doubt that if they end the games in Little Rock, half the state will become A state fans.  The arguments for keeping this tradition alive no longer make any sense and they haven't for a long time.

razorbackfaninar

• Senior
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 05:44:13 pm »

That link says it doesn't exist.

i don't know about his link but I just read the tweet for myself.

regi

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • We would owe Bert how much?
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 05:51:43 pm »

Definitely on Twitter.  Good for him.  Enough with WMS.  different world today,  than the 60s,  70s,  80s and 90s.  No longer needed. I live in Atlanta,  but can watch the evening news out of Little Rock,  every night if I want.  Things change. 

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 05:55:16 pm »

i don't know about his link but I just read the tweet for myself.

The "tweet" at the end of the link had to be removed. I just read it too, now that the edit was made. I realize players may feel that way and I can't blame them, but I wish he hadn't said that publicly.

ricepig

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2018, 05:58:30 pm »

The "tweet" at the end of the link had to be removed. I just read it too, now that the edit was made. I realize players may feel that way and I can't blame them, but I wish he hadn't said that publicly.

I read the same tweet in either link, but whatever.

The NewEra

• All-American Hogvillian
  • New Era
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2018, 06:15:57 pm »

I'm glad he did say it publicly.  I think people need to understand just how the players feel about playing in WMS opposed to their home stadium. 

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2018, 06:37:16 pm »

I'm glad he did say it publicly.  I think people need to understand just how the players feel about playing in WMS opposed to their home stadium. 

All the players I have known didnít like playing there and that goes all the way back to before we ever got in the SEC. Iím sure some from the area probably did though.

rhames

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2018, 06:41:54 pm »

I'm indifferent but Bielema hated playing in Little Rock. I'm sure that rubbed off on the players some.

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2018, 06:54:51 pm »

I'm indifferent but Bielema hated playing in Little Rock. I'm sure that rubbed off on the players some.

This

hoggusamoungus

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2018, 06:59:23 pm »

Good for him.

Hoggish1

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2018, 07:10:01 pm »

I love Little Rock for a visit.  But we should not be the only SEC team playing seven home games (actually six counting the Jerry world game)...  Way past time to move on.

Memhogs

• Varsity
  • What time does Arkansas play?
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2018, 07:24:40 pm »

If it hurts recruiting Little Rock will you whiny Fayetteville fans still go for it?

PorkSoda

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2018, 07:28:32 pm »

I'm pretty sure Dmac liked playing in LR

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2018, 07:34:55 pm »

I'm pretty sure Dmac liked playing in LR

A few of Petrino's kids, too. If LR had an 80000+ seat state-of-the-art palace, the GSD would be just a running argument between a handful of people.

moses_007

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Bring the Wood!
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2018, 07:37:16 pm »

Alabama used to play a game or two in Birmingham; Ole Miss played a couple in Jackson.  I think Arkansas is the only school today with two home stadiums....

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2018, 07:38:14 pm »

A few of Petrino's kids, too. If LR had an 80000+ seat state-of-the-art palace, the GSD would be just a running argument between a handful of people.
She served us well.

ChopSooie

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2018, 07:41:05 pm »

Season Ticket holder for NWA games. I wouldn't mind making the drive to Little Rock, but I hate that dump of a stadium. I wonder what the true impact is to recruiting when we have the 2 games away from NWA (Dallas and LR). Also, the argument about filling Razorback Stadium when War Memorial attendance is so bad, is a joke. Razorback Stadium is the home of the team. My opinion is all home games should be played there and all neutral site games should be played in Dallas.

Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter

• President and life time member of the Hobby Shop.
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • SPORTS HAS NEVER BEEN SO UGLY!
    • facebook.com/uglyuncle.
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2018, 07:41:16 pm »

All the players I have known didnít like playing there and that goes all the way back to before we ever got in the SEC. Iím sure some from the area probably did though.

Just a few years ago...when Bobby P. was here...I went down the line in the locker room when media was allowed in there.  I asked probably 10-15 guys "Little Rock or Fayetteville?"  All of them said, "Little Rock.  The fans down there are crazy.  We love playing there."  All of them said some version of that.  That wasn't just Little Rock kids, that was whoever was next in line.  Somewhere I've got video of it, I'll see if I can find it.

Things do change though.  Sadly. 

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2018, 07:41:39 pm »

She served us well.

She really did. I gotta admit I still love the place and have a zillion memories there. I'll be there for Ole Miss.

I think the reason that Birmingham and Jackson lost their games is the same reason that Little Rock is losing its games. The stadiums have failed to keep up. Sad but true.

ChopSooie

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2018, 07:42:33 pm »

Just a few years ago...when Bobby P. was here...I went down the line in the locker room when media was allowed in there.  I asked probably 10-15 guys "Little Rock of Fayetteville?"  All of them said, "Little Rock.  The fans down there are crazy.  We love playing there."  All of them said some version of that.  That wasn't just Little Rock kids, that was whoever was next in line.  Somewhere I've got video of it, I'll see if I can find it.

Who was the opponent?

rhames

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2018, 07:43:56 pm »

Just a few years ago...when Bobby P. was here...I went down the line in the locker room when media was allowed in there.  I asked probably 10-15 guys "Little Rock or Fayetteville?"  All of them said, "Little Rock.  The fans down there are crazy.  We love playing there."  All of them said some version of that.  That wasn't just Little Rock kids, that was whoever was next in line.  Somewhere I've got video of it, I'll see if I can find it.

There is also this

When you win games there, like beating LSU to go to the sugar bowl, you love it

When you lose a lot of games there, holy Toledo, you hate it 

Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter

• President and life time member of the Hobby Shop.
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • SPORTS HAS NEVER BEEN SO UGLY!
    • facebook.com/uglyuncle.
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2018, 07:44:44 pm »

Who was the opponent?

It was media day before the season started.  We got to go into the locker room...it might have been when the new ones first opened...and talk to all the players.  I didn't ask any freshmen about it.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2018, 07:50:04 pm »

She really did. I gotta admit I still love the place and have a zillion memories there. I'll be there for Ole Miss.

I think the reason that Birmingham and Jackson lost their games is the same reason that Little Rock is losing its games. The stadiums have failed to keep up. Sad but true.
I think I'll try to make it to the Ole Miss game, LZH.  That may be her last fandango.

Hogeration

• I like you, but you're crazy man.
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2018, 07:58:48 pm »

I'm sure his head coach's dislike for playing in LR had a huge impact on that statement.  Every other team had a better experience.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2018, 08:01:25 pm »

Losing the LSU Black Friday game may have been the last straw...

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2018, 08:01:52 pm »

I think I'll try to make it to the Ole Miss game, LZH.  That may be her last fandango.

Yeah, we will have to hook up for a bit to share a few jabs at each other. But I believe you are right...after that one, it's done.  Maybe UCA could schedule a game or two there to prevent so many seizures from their weirdo purple and gray field in Conway. Also, I think it would be great if UALR could soon afford to start a football program. ASU in the mix, too. I just hate to see the old lady die.

ricepig

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2018, 08:04:47 pm »

We'll know in about 3 weeks what the fate of future games will be.

Jackrabbit Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Setting the edge since 1960
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2018, 08:13:33 pm »

What kind of shape is Quigley Stadium in these days?

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2018, 08:13:38 pm »

Frankly, as much is I don't like it, I am surprised it has lasted as long as it has.

Having said that, HY and CM have one hell of a load on their shoulders to keep Razorback Stadium as packed as possible.

ricepig

« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2018, 08:16:35 pm »

What kind of shape is Quigley Stadium in these days?

I think they put up some new sniper towers in the area, oh, you're talking about the stadium, pretty new turf the last time JHS played there.

Hawgphat

• Hogvillian
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2018, 08:17:04 pm »

I have no dog in this fight, - - - and not much of a financial stake in the debate either way, - - - - but I strongly feel that The University Of Arkansas should now  play all of its home games at Fayetteville.  I was in the stands at WMS to watch Chuck Dicus, "Light Horse" Harry Lee, Bill Montgomery, Joe Ferguson, Dickey Morton and a number of other illustrious Razorback legends do their thing in Little Rock.  But that was then, - - and this is now.

I won't get my nose out of joint should the Powers That Be decide to continue the traditional WMS connection; but I believe it to be absolutely unnecessary.

Smashmouth2004

• Varsity
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2018, 08:17:19 pm »

Several years ago there was an opportunity to pass a bond to expand WMS and make it more appealing to play there. It didnít have any traction from voters! Then the university decided to invest to the on campus stadium. Now we continue to have a debate that itís tradition to play in LR even though no other FBS team plays in 2 stadiums. Itís a disadvantage having to travel for a home game and most people know this!

Now that itís interstate all the way there should be no excuse driving to Fayetteville. Go up there and make a day of it do have some fun! There are other fan bases that drive as far or further because that is what fans do!

ricepig

« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2018, 08:18:32 pm »

Frankly, as much is I don't like it, I am surprised it has lasted as long as it has.

Having said that, HY and CM have one hell of a load on their shoulders to keep Razorback Stadium as packed as possible.

I think it will be on the BOT meetings on the 23rd-24th, they may punt it down the road to a special session, but a decision is coming soon.

theFlyingHog

« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2018, 08:20:25 pm »

I miss Ray Winder...

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2018, 08:25:08 pm »

Interesting topic. I've never seen a discussion about the merits of playing a game in LR each year.

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2018, 08:27:09 pm »

Several years ago there was an opportunity to pass a bond to expand WMS and make it more appealing to play there. It didnít have any traction from voters! Then the university decided to invest to the on campus stadium. Now we continue to have a debate that itís tradition to play in LR even though no other FBS team plays in 2 stadiums. Itís a disadvantage having to travel for a home game and most people know this!

Now that itís interstate all the way there should be no excuse driving to Fayetteville. Go up there and make a day of it do have some fun! There are other fan bases that drive as far or further because that is what fans do!

And that has always been a part of my concern. With every game being on television, and unless Arkansas is really good, lots of kids from Pine Bluff south may gravitate toward LSU or Alabama, which has been happening for quite a few years btw.

There are several hundred thousand people in north west Arkansas who are from somewhere else. Will they or their children become Razorback fans? Or will they stay fans of their own Alma Maters?

I can tell you right now, that a lot of regular Joe's that would spend a Saturday driving to Little Rock to watch a Razorback game are not going to Fayetteville. So the question remains, can Northwest Arkansas and those in Little Rock who are really and truly fans support that stadium and even the program?

kodiakisland

« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2018, 08:31:22 pm »

It's about time they did say it publically.  The official stance has always been the coaches and players love playing there.  If they don't, they should be able to say so.

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2018, 08:34:23 pm »

I think it will be on the BOT meetings on the 23rd-24th, they may punt it down the road to a special session, but a decision is coming soon.

If folks from my old neck of the woods are thrown a bone like Louisiana-Monroe, it would be better than nothing. But frankly, I don't feel confident at all.

ricepig

« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2018, 08:36:12 pm »

And that has always been a part of my concern. With every game being on television, and unless Arkansas is really good, lots of kids from Pine Bluff south may gravitate toward LSU or Alabama, which has been happening for quite a few years btw.

There are several hundred thousand people in north west Arkansas who are from somewhere else. Will they or their children become Razorback fans? Or will they stay fans of their own Alma Maters?

I can tell you right now, that a lot of regular Joe's that would spend a Saturday driving to Little Rock to watch a Razorback game are not going to Fayetteville. So the question remains, can Northwest Arkansas and those in Little Rock who are really and truly fans support that stadium and even the program?

More people buy tickets to RRS from SEA, than buy tickets to WMS, that's from the last 5 years of ticket sales. So, I guess the real fans are going to Fayetteville.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2018, 08:36:42 pm »

Why? I wish players would be more open, not less so.

ricepig

« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2018, 08:37:01 pm »

If folks from my old neck of the woods are thrown a bone like Louisiana-Monroe, it would be better than nothing. But frankly, I don't feel confident at all.
More people buy tickets to RRS from SEA, than buy tickets to WMS, that's from the last 5 years of ticket sales. So, I guess the real fans are going to Fayetteville.

whosiskid

• Try to become the person your dog thinks you are
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2018, 08:39:11 pm »

As a kid I loved going to see the Razorbacks play at War Memorial (I've always had an attachment to the stadium because when it was dedicated back in 1951 or so, my father played "Taps" - he was first chair trumpet for the combined Arkansas/Louisiana National Guard Band, so when Harry S Truman came away with his hand on his heart) and I went to around a dozen games.

I never see games any longer because I simply can't afford the tickets. But I have to say that it hurts to hear people say that they don't want an association with LR. Some great games have been played here and I'd doubt if the atmosphere has been anything but a massive home advantage EVER.

Playing in LR makes a statement, namely that the Razorbacks are the ARKANSAS Razorbacks. Not just the University of Arkansas Razorbacks, but the State of Arkansas Razorbacks. Insisting on playing only in Fayetteville would have disastrous consequences. It would be the beginning of the marginalization of the Hogs. Playing only in Fayetteville would be restricting the team to only one part of the state. Five years we might not see much of a change or . even in ten years. But in 20 years we might start seeing a real change. The advantages of playing an extra game or two a year in Fayetteville would not come close to off setting the losses that would result from the erosion of support for the team. Right now the Razorbacks belong spiritually to more than just those who attend or who have attended the U of A.

That doesn't mean that LR shouldn't do more to improve War Memorial. Though certainly the university should also make sure that the stadium is getting some help.

I've talked to a couple of kids who were looking at places to play football or basketball about what make the Hogs unique and I put in my two cents. (One went to Baylor and the other to Georgia Tech, but the former's Dad had attended Baylor while the other kid lived in a suburb of Atlanta.) But over the years it is stressed to an endless string of recruits that if you play at Arkansas, you are supported by a passionate statewide fanbase. The state has no professional team, so we pull for the Hogs the way Chicago pulls for Da Bears or Midwest Catholics pull for Notre Dame. But what makes that a reasonable claim to make is the few games played in LR. End that game and the fanbase shrinks. A little bit at first, but faster after that.

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2018, 08:41:04 pm »

Plenty of donors, I know. But how many travelers? Maybe we should drag their ass out of the deer woods late in the fall.

And I still am concerned about kids my daughters age who couldn't name one single player on our team right now. I just hope for the best.

kodiakisland

« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2018, 08:42:52 pm »

As a kid I loved going to see the Razorbacks play at War Memorial (I've always had an attachment to the stadium because when it was dedicated back in 1951 or so, my father played "Taps" - he was first chair trumpet for the combined Arkansas/Louisiana National Guard Band, so when Harry S Truman came away with his hand on his heart) and I went to around a dozen games.

I never see games any longer because I simply can't afford the tickets. But I have to say that it hurts to hear people say that they don't want an association with LR. Some great games have been played here and I'd doubt if the atmosphere has been anything but a massive home advantage EVER.

Playing in LR makes a statement, namely that the Razorbacks are the ARKANSAS Razorbacks. Not just the University of Arkansas Razorbacks, but the State of Arkansas Razorbacks. Insisting on playing only in Fayetteville would have disastrous consequences. It would be the beginning of the marginalization of the Hogs. Playing only in Fayetteville would be restricting the team to only one part of the state. Five years we might not see much of a change or . even in ten years. But in 20 years we might start seeing a real change. The advantages of playing an extra game or two a year in Fayetteville would not come close to off setting the losses that would result from the erosion of support for the team. Right now the Razorbacks belong spiritually to more than just those who attend or who have attended the U of A.

That doesn't mean that LR shouldn't do more to improve War Memorial. Though certainly the university should also make sure that the stadium is getting some help.

I've talked to a couple of kids who were looking at places to play football or basketball about what make the Hogs unique and I put in my two cents. (One went to Baylor and the other to Georgia Tech, but the former's Dad had attended Baylor while the other kid lived in a suburb of Atlanta.) But over the years it is stressed to an endless string of recruits that if you play at Arkansas, you are supported by a passionate statewide fanbase. The state has no professional team, so we pull for the Hogs the way Chicago pulls for Da Bears or Midwest Catholics pull for Notre Dame. But what makes that a reasonable claim to make is the few games played in LR. End that game and the fanbase shrinks. A little bit at first, but faster after that.

Honestly, if a "fan" stops being a fan because the team plays home games at home, how much of a fan where they really?  You are correct though that it is unique to have to play one or more home games in a stadium that is well past it's prime and requires a long bus ride to get to.  Not sure how that's a plus for recruiting.

ricepig

« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2018, 08:45:44 pm »

Plenty of donors, I know. But how many travelers? Maybe we should drag their ass out of the deer woods late in the fall.

And I still am concerned about kids my daughters age who couldn't name one single player on our team right now. I just hope for the best.

Well, they are buying tickets, I would assume they go to the games. It's only 1531 tickets for RRS, and 1263 for WMS, so they don't seem to flood either one of them.

As to our daughter's age, mine is a Jr up there like yours and couldn't name a player, lol.

Foshodo

« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2018, 08:53:52 pm »

Their experience fuels their opinions... Iím sure after the last two years there are a lot of players that hate playing for the U ofA too. Weíve sucked, itís no fun anywhere when you suck

daprospecta

« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2018, 08:55:36 pm »

Take from this what you will but I will make this comment for the last time. I played against many future razorbacks in little rock and with them on the hill. A lot of those players would have never seen a game live if it weren't for the little rock games.  Take all the games away if you want but it matters.

justmakeit2thebcs

« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2018, 09:00:01 pm »

If it hurts recruiting Little Rock will you whiny Fayetteville fans still go for it?
You know this how? because he asked for a plane instead of a bus so the players wouldn't get home at 3:00 am?  Or that it took away an opportunity for official visits from recruits? 
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 7   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas