• 9,924,442 Posts
• 399,198 Topics
• 22,882 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: RW III suing insurance companies  (Read 9721 times)

Razorbackers

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Good Takes Found Here
Re: RW III suing insurance companies
« Reply #250 on: May 08, 2018, 03:30:27 pm »

yes exactly the point.

its fundamentally flawed.  selling flood insurance to millions of homes that are guaranteed to flood on a regular basis is insanity. 

there is no way to run a program like that effectively.

Your options are to A) force insurance companies to cover flooding which would send costs rocketing upward, B ) end the program and don't force insurance companies to cover homes for flood, which would leave homeowners on their own for natural disaster recovery and would lower property value leaving homeowners in debt and unable to sell, or C) keep the NFIP, which hasn't always operated at a deficit btw, and pay for it with tax money.

PorkSoda

« Reply #251 on: May 08, 2018, 10:30:57 pm »

Your options are to A) force insurance companies to cover flooding which would send costs rocketing upward, B ) end the program and don't force insurance companies to cover homes for flood, which would leave homeowners on their own for natural disaster recovery and would lower property value leaving homeowners in debt and unable to sell, or C) keep the NFIP, which hasn't always operated at a deficit btw, and pay for it with tax money.

obviously C) is the only answer, even if it amounts to taxpayer disaster relief.

of course, when it applies to Health Insurance...I probably shouldn't bring that up as it will just get the thread chitcanned

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Ex-Trumpet

• Gold Hogvillian
  • When life gives you lemons, get a boob job!
« Reply #252 on: May 09, 2018, 01:47:34 pm »

Shyte happens, is it the federal government's responsibility to pay for every act of Mother Nature?

I guess you should have been in Houston to view first hand all the shyte that happened outside of a flood plain.

Many of those homes were total losses with no flood insurance--because it was deemed unnecessary.  Is that the homeowner's fault?  They bought casualty insurance--many for years and years with no claims--and now are stuck with huge repair bills to fix their flooded home.

There's also a lot of foreclosed homes because the homeowners couldn't afford to repair the home--which many times cost more than the home's value.  So, many people walked from their mortgage leaving it with the banks.

Yes, shyte happens.

mhsbc59

• "Cause thats how I Role"
« Reply #253 on: May 09, 2018, 01:53:41 pm »

I guess you should have been in Houston to view first hand all the shyte that happened outside of a flood plain.

Many of those homes were total losses with no flood insurance--because it was deemed unnecessary.  Is that the homeowner's fault?  They bought casualty insurance--many for years and years with no claims--and now are stuck with huge repair bills to fix their flooded home.

There's also a lot of foreclosed homes because the homeowners couldn't afford to repair the home--which many times cost more than the home's value.  So, many people walked from their mortgage leaving it with the banks.

Yes, shyte happens.

Dont argue with rice he blames middle class and working class folks for not having money.  Never mind that there are millions of people in this country with college degrees making less than 80 grand a year.  Rice cant understand why everyone doenst have at least a quarter mill in the bank.

colbs

« Reply #254 on: May 09, 2018, 02:20:57 pm »

Yes, shyte happens.
I think depending the disaster the government should step in and help.  As far as flood insurance you can still purchase that coverage even if not in a flood plain.  Probably pretty reasonable price since not in flood plain.  It kind of comes down to do you want to pay for it even though the chances of flooding is slim. 

ricepig

« Reply #255 on: May 09, 2018, 02:30:48 pm »

Yes, shyte happens.
Is it the government's or insurance industry's fault? Just because flood insurance wasn't required, does that exonerate the homeowner?

ricepig

« Reply #256 on: May 09, 2018, 02:32:18 pm »

Dont argue with rice he blames middle class and working class folks for not having money.  Never mind that there are millions of people in this country with college degrees making less than 80 grand a year.  Rice cant understand why everyone doenst have at least a quarter mill in the bank.

$80k should be able to afford flood insurance, correct?

PorkSoda

« Reply #257 on: May 09, 2018, 03:02:35 pm »

3 500 year floods in 3 years.

I'm thinking their flood prediction models need to be updated.

also city planners likely rely on those predictions to determine how much storm drainage is necessary.

ricepig

« Reply #258 on: May 09, 2018, 03:26:30 pm »

also city planners likely rely on those predictions to determine how much storm drainage is necessary.

Most 100/300/500 floods didn't factor in asphalt and concrete, but contributor in urban areas for runoff.

hoglady

« Reply #259 on: May 09, 2018, 04:15:19 pm »

Most 100/300/500 floods didn't factor in asphalt and concrete, but contributor in urban areas for runoff.

I don't know why they wouldn't factor that in as the Corps of Engineers revamps the maps every 6 to 10 years or so.
In Little Rock and North Little Rock every time the maps are revamped - we'll have homes that now require flood insurance that never have before and houses that come out of the flood plain.

Grizzlyfan

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #260 on: May 09, 2018, 04:41:54 pm »

I just hope RWIII is able to get a good flood insurance policy.

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Crazy Times Make Crazy people Crazier!!!!
« Reply #261 on: May 09, 2018, 07:51:41 pm »

You do understand that is possible , and the numbers can be 100% correct. Right. please tell me yes.

PorkSoda

« Reply #262 on: May 09, 2018, 07:56:03 pm »

You do understand that is possible , and the numbers can be 100% correct. Right. please tell me yes.
obviously its possible, it happened.

a 500 year flood only means that there is a 0.002% chance of it occurring in any given year.

my comment was that model they used to give it a 0.002% chance is probably off since it happened 3 times in a 3 year period.

the chances of that happening are 0.000000008%

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #263 on: May 09, 2018, 07:57:23 pm »

obviously its possible, it happened.

a 500 year flood only means that there is a 0.002% chance of it occurring in any given year.

my comment was that model they used to give it a 0.002% chance is probably off since it happened 3 times in a 3 year period.

and it may not happen again for 5000 years.  I do know what you are saying though.  The Models may be wrong.

PorkSoda

« Reply #264 on: May 09, 2018, 08:03:34 pm »

and it may not happen again for 5000 years.  I do know what you are saying though.  The Models may be wrong.
closer to 12.5 million years but yeah, I read somewhere that the models had not been updated in decades, and that they are now in the process of using new information to do so.

hopefully also as they are rebuilding, the build up the foundations where possible to give homes a few extra feet of leeway.

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #265 on: May 09, 2018, 08:13:05 pm »

closer to 12.5 million years but yeah, I read somewhere that the models had not been updated in decades, and that they are now in the process of using new information to do so.

hopefully also as they are rebuilding, the build up the foundations where possible to give homes a few extra feet of leeway.

One problem is many models don't take into account the development around these areas mainly to the north or higher elevations. Sometimes these can create massive flood zones that didn't exist before after a major rain event.

vandybuff

« Reply #266 on: May 09, 2018, 08:55:31 pm »

LOL!!!!! with all the water talk I was kinda wondering if RWIII was denied a hydrocephalus claim. 

Ex-Trumpet

• Gold Hogvillian
  • When life gives you lemons, get a boob job!
« Reply #267 on: May 10, 2018, 08:55:40 am »

They definitely need to be updated, for sure. 

As I stated earlier, many of the flooded homes were not in any flood plain.

(notOM)Rebel123

« Reply #268 on: May 10, 2018, 09:34:41 am »

...not to mention a good home warranty.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #269 on: May 10, 2018, 09:38:47 am »

My tax money should not have to pay for someone elseís problem. I donít expect anyone else to pay for mine.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #270 on: May 10, 2018, 09:44:34 am »

I think depending the disaster the government should step in and help.  As far as flood insurance you can still purchase that coverage even if not in a flood plain.  Probably pretty reasonable price since not in flood plain.  It kind of comes down to do you want to pay for it even though the chances of flooding is slim. 

One house floods the government doesnít care.......1,000 houses flood and the government wants to pay for it all. Ask yourself why that is when the government is politically based.................

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #271 on: May 10, 2018, 09:50:37 am »

Correct. Itís also possible to win the lottery but itís not likely. Yet stupid people keep buying lottery tickets.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #272 on: May 10, 2018, 09:52:57 am »

They definitely need to be updated, for sure. 

As I stated earlier, many of the flooded homes were not in any flood plain.

Yet when flood plain are updated if someone then gets higher insurance rates they go ballistic. Iíve actually heard of politics getting involved with it. People up in Riceís part of the state know about that.

WorfHog

• mupwI' tInwI'
« Reply #273 on: May 10, 2018, 12:47:43 pm »

Yes, shyte happens.

Now that the banks own them the government will gladly hand out taxpayer money. Too big to fail and all that.

(notOM)Rebel123

« Reply #274 on: May 10, 2018, 01:13:53 pm »

My tax money should not have to pay for someone elseís problem. I donít expect anyone else to pay for mine.

...yeah, compassion sucks. geez.

Razorbackers

• Good Takes Found Here
« Reply #275 on: May 10, 2018, 03:00:28 pm »

...yeah, compassion sucks. geez.

Everyone is fiscal af until their home is under 30 feet of water, or they're laid off, or insert bad thing that happens.

Jim Harris

• Global Moderator
  • Bring me some DTs!
« Reply #276 on: May 10, 2018, 03:44:15 pm »

Correct. Itís also possible to win the lottery but itís not likely. Yet stupid people keep buying lottery tickets.

Somebody wins eventually.

PorkSoda

« Reply #277 on: May 10, 2018, 03:48:14 pm »

One problem is many models don't take into account the development around these areas mainly to the north or higher elevations. Sometimes these can create massive flood zones that didn't exist before after a major rain event.
yeah, they use historical data going back over a hundred years, but you have to take into account the last 50 years have increasingly more developed ground coverage than the prior fifty years.

I think there is going to need to be a lot more "best practices" developed to account for urban sprawl.

The problem is of course, that property developers generally don't like environmentalists or city planners telling them what to they can and can't do.

vandybuff

« Reply #278 on: May 10, 2018, 06:18:53 pm »

With that attitude kiss your chance of being a lobbyist goodbye!

Hoggish1

« Reply #279 on: May 10, 2018, 07:11:03 pm »

Dismiss Long again.

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #280 on: May 15, 2018, 10:57:48 am »

I hope he wins cause he did what he was supposed to do.

• Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!
« Reply #281 on: August 13, 2018, 04:39:39 pm »

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Trust in the Lord with all your heart
« Reply #282 on: August 13, 2018, 04:50:51 pm »

Insurance companies in general
Suck

Vantage 8 dude

« Reply #283 on: August 13, 2018, 05:49:45 pm »

Nice to see at least a couple of the last posters actually address the original subject of RWII suing for his football injury. While I don't say that folks impacted by floods, accidents and other such unfortunate incidences should be ignored, at least on THIS particular post I didn't realize that other non-related instances directly impact Rawleigh. Therefore arguments as to whether or not the government of some other entity should pay for such unfortunate occurrences don't really apply. Gosh, guess I missed the connection(s). :o :-Xy

STLhawg

• Senior
« Reply #284 on: August 13, 2018, 06:25:58 pm »

Good article on the lawsuit from Arkansas Business:
https://www.arkansasbusiness.com/article/123155/former-razorback-his-career-ended-by-injury-sues-insurer
What was the gist if the article (as I don't have a subscription)?

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #285 on: August 14, 2018, 10:13:51 am »

Is it the government's or insurance industry's fault? Just because flood insurance wasn't required, does that exonerate the homeowner?

When you go to the county , and call the State and have long talks with your insurance agent and they all tell you your outside the 500 year flood plain or even the 200 year flood plain so don't buy it and then you get flooded the Government ought to foot the bill.

• Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!
« Reply #286 on: August 14, 2018, 12:16:25 pm »

What was the gist if the article (as I don't have a subscription)?

It walked through the timeline of when RWIII took out the policy, what the policy covered, his injury, and the change to the policy. The day after he announced he wasn't returning to football, the insurance company changed the policy to not cover spinal related injuries.

ricepig

« Reply #287 on: August 14, 2018, 12:56:45 pm »

When you go to the county , and call the State and have long talks with your insurance agent and they all tell you your outside the 500 year flood plain or even the 200 year flood plain so don't buy it and then you get flooded the Government ought to foot the bill.

All insurance is, is a vehicle to put your risk in someone else's hands for a price, it's your choice to make premium payments or not. The government can't make those decisions for you, grow up and decide on that yourself.

hog.goblin

• It's not revenge he's after. It's a reckoning.
« Reply #288 on: August 14, 2018, 01:24:50 pm »

So the govt should cover your mistake?  You chose not to get the insurance.  The facts werenít wrong, you just gambled and lost and want someone else to pay for it.

kingofdequeen

« Reply #289 on: August 14, 2018, 01:44:55 pm »

actually if you prove your agent told you "DONT BUY IT" even though you requested it you can sue them and their E&O insurance.  good luck.

Rudy Baylor

• We're afraid of STP girls Bluto
« Reply #290 on: August 14, 2018, 03:59:03 pm »

It is sad but probably true that he would have had to be paralyzed after the spring game scare in order for the insurance company to be forced to pay off.

BS
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas