• 9,923,334 Posts
• 399,160 Topics
• 22,881 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: RW III suing insurance companies  (Read 9717 times)

(notOM)Rebel123

Re: RW III suing insurance companies
« Reply #150 on: May 03, 2018, 08:31:57 am »

That is correct. I read all documents before I sign, ask questions and have some changed and initialize any changes. Small print is there for a reason and if you do not read you can have it stuck to you.

The big print giveth, the small print taketh away.

Hog N Bama

• All-American Hogvillian
  • BELIEVE
« Reply #151 on: May 03, 2018, 09:13:46 am »

I read this entire thread and come away wondering did RWIII hire an attorney to review the policy before signing in the first place? It seems to me if it were of such importance, then the attorney fees would have been well worth it.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

younghog

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Keep em coming
« Reply #152 on: May 03, 2018, 09:19:06 am »

I read this entire thread and come away wondering did RWIII hire an attorney to review the policy before signing in the first place? It seems to me if it were of such importance, then the attorney fees would have been well worth it.

Very valid.. The article states.. Policy begin "around dates" etc.. as if its not fully known.

hogcards

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • The Glimmer Twins
« Reply #153 on: May 03, 2018, 10:19:36 am »

The paperwork responsibility would be on RWIII, not Long.

Long essentially screwed up everything he had his hands in.  Would him botching RW III's policy really shock you?

ricepig

« Reply #154 on: May 03, 2018, 10:24:50 am »

The big print giveth, the small print taketh away.

Sound like an ex-banker..........

(notOM)Rebel123

« Reply #155 on: May 03, 2018, 10:29:32 am »

Long essentially screwed up everything he had his hands in.  Would him botching RW III's policy really shock you?

JL didn't have anything to do with it, per Mike Irwin.

(notOM)Rebel123

« Reply #156 on: May 03, 2018, 10:30:00 am »

Sound like an ex-banker..........

"The small print isn't important....just sign here."  :)

justmakeit2thebcs

« Reply #157 on: May 03, 2018, 10:33:27 am »

Yes, since he absolutely nothing to do with it, other than suggesting RWIII consider securing an insurance policy.  Might as well blame Obama, the refs, & ESPN while you are at it.

Grizzlyfan

• Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #158 on: May 03, 2018, 10:36:30 am »

Yes, since he absolutely nothing to do with it, other than suggesting RWIII consider securing an insurance policy.  Might as well blame Obama, the refs, & ESPN while you are at it.
Give him a minute, he'll blame Obama.

wildturkey8

« Reply #159 on: May 03, 2018, 10:37:58 am »

Lloyds answer to the complaint will shed more light.  They have 20 days from the day the complaint was filed.

hogcards

• The Glimmer Twins
« Reply #160 on: May 03, 2018, 11:09:04 am »

Give him a minute, he'll blame Obama.

...and Obama in turn, will blame Bush.   ;)

hogcards

• The Glimmer Twins
« Reply #161 on: May 03, 2018, 11:21:34 am »

JL didn't have anything to do with it, per Mike Irwin.

Not saying he did or didn't.  I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised at anything he did.

I seem to remember the main "issue" with Long (outside of his obvious problem with hirings and firings) was that he sold some of the luxury seating at one price then started discounting to others at much lower prices.

Jackrabbit Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • 6/27/18: Just another layer of scar tissue
« Reply #162 on: May 03, 2018, 11:23:38 am »

Lloyds answer to the complaint will shed more light.  They have 20 days from the day the complaint was filed.

Maybe, maybe not.  It could be what's called a "general denial" without going into specifics of why.  More likely, it will set out some affirmative defenses, a few of which might actually tell us the real reason they're not paying.

(notOM)Rebel123

« Reply #163 on: May 03, 2018, 11:26:34 am »

Not saying he did or didn't.  I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised at anything he did.

I seem to remember the main "issue" with Long (outside of his obvious problem with hirings and firings) was that he sold some of the luxury seating at one price then started discounting to others at much lower prices.

So, varying the prices on luxury seating somehow implicates JL in Lloyd's of London balking on the payments to RWIII?....Wow, that's quite a stretch, to say the least.

Jackrabbit Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • 6/27/18: Just another layer of scar tissue
« Reply #164 on: May 03, 2018, 11:32:52 am »

So, varying the prices on luxury seating somehow implicates JL in Lloyd's of London balking on the payments to RWIII?....Wow, that's quite a stretch, to say the least.

hogcards

• The Glimmer Twins
« Reply #165 on: May 03, 2018, 11:37:12 am »

Yes, that's exactly what I'm say.   8)

ricepig

« Reply #166 on: May 03, 2018, 11:49:37 am »

I bet you read that on HV, correct Guv?

hogcards

• The Glimmer Twins
« Reply #167 on: May 03, 2018, 11:51:38 am »

I bet you read that on HV, correct Guv?

Yes, I read that from Mike Irwin.  I believe he posted that back in February.

ricepig

« Reply #168 on: May 03, 2018, 11:55:09 am »

Yes, I read that from Mike Irwin.  I believe he posted that back in February.
You mean one of those posts where Mike says someone told him something, but it was proven not to be true?

hogcards

• The Glimmer Twins
« Reply #169 on: May 03, 2018, 12:04:44 pm »

You mean one of those posts where Mike says someone told him something, but it was proven not to be true?

He was fired because he was not a good athletic director.  Is that dumbed down enough?

hog.goblin

• It's not revenge he's after. It's a reckoning.
« Reply #170 on: May 03, 2018, 12:09:14 pm »

He was fired because he was not a good athletic director.  Is that dumbed down enough?

The overall athletic results prove otherwise.  He was fired because he hired a football coach who was failing and refused to fire that football coach.

ricepig

« Reply #171 on: May 03, 2018, 12:22:36 pm »

Which isn't what your previous post seemed to suggest, which was some nefarious luxury seating sales, correct? He was fired because he didn't want to play nice with the PTB, and having a losing football program.

hogcards

• The Glimmer Twins
« Reply #172 on: May 03, 2018, 12:25:58 pm »

The overall athletic results prove otherwise.  He was fired because he hired a football coach who was failing and refused to fire that football coach.

which "results"?

and ftr:

Quote from: ricepig on November 17, 2017, 10:17:45 pm

It will take approximately $160m to pay off the $115m bonds, you add that to the $40m in donations gets you to $200m. That's the same number it's been since the beginning of this process. The suites are sold, the Loge boxes are fast approaching that level. What they do have to sell is 2200 club level seats, that is as important as the suites and boxes as it brings in the same money. The RF accomplishes nothing by stating these are sold, if they aren't. I guess someone learned not to say read rumors without checking the facts.

I'm trying to recall a lot of things that were said by different people. I do remember hearing from one high placed booster that Long sold some of the luxury seating at one price then started discounting to others at a greatly reduced price.
Supposedly word got back to the original purchasers and several of them indicated that they might back out. This man said the BOT was very concerned about this. I do know this, they're not going to rest easy until a new coach is in place and there is some indication that he's gaining traction with the fans. This project is being built at a time when fans across the country are turning more and more to TV viewing vs. going to the games. I spoke with Long about this a couple of years ago and he was very concerned about it. It's great to get all this TV money but when all the games are on TV it doesn't take a genius to see the potential for live gate issues. Especially if you add to the stadium and have to pay for it with people in the seats and in those boxes.

ricepig

« Reply #173 on: May 03, 2018, 12:31:35 pm »

which "results"?

and ftr:

Quote from: ricepig on November 17, 2017, 10:17:45 pm

It will take approximately $160m to pay off the $115m bonds, you add that to the $40m in donations gets you to $200m. That's the same number it's been since the beginning of this process. The suites are sold, the Loge boxes are fast approaching that level. What they do have to sell is 2200 club level seats, that is as important as the suites and boxes as it brings in the same money. The RF accomplishes nothing by stating these are sold, if they aren't. I guess someone learned not to say read rumors without checking the facts.

I'm trying to recall a lot of things that were said by different people. I do remember hearing from one high placed booster that Long sold some of the luxury seating at one price then started discounting to others at a greatly reduced price.
Supposedly word got back to the original purchasers and several of them indicated that they might back out. This man said the BOT was very concerned about this. I do know this, they're not going to rest easy until a new coach is in place and there is some indication that he's gaining traction with the fans. This project is being built at a time when fans across the country are turning more and more to TV viewing vs. going to the games. I spoke with Long about this a couple of years ago and he was very concerned about it. It's great to get all this TV money but when all the games are on TV it doesn't take a genius to see the potential for live gate issues. Especially if you add to the stadium and have to pay for it with people in the seats and in those boxes.

Yep, I told him about the bonds, the bottom half is MI's post/take, which was proven just as wrong as his bonds, construction overruns, and any other rumor he said that day. As Mike later clarified, he gets on those shows and repeats what he "hears" mostly to generate discussion, he has no idea if they are true.

DLUXHOG

• It'll feel better when it quits hurtin'
« Reply #174 on: May 03, 2018, 12:32:51 pm »

No joke.  My mother carried a critical illness policy for years.  When she was diagnosed with Leukemia we thought it would help with some of the bills. Wrong, Leukemia apparently isn't classified as a critical illness...

Wise lesson to everyone.....read the fine print....

• Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!
« Reply #175 on: May 03, 2018, 12:40:20 pm »

Wise lesson to everyone.....read the fine print....
For the record, the RWIII situation is not about reading the fine print. They changed the policy after he was hurt.

DLUXHOG

« Reply #176 on: May 03, 2018, 12:43:21 pm »

For the record, the RWIII situation is not about reading the fine print. They changed the policy after he was hurt.

Then he has no issue as what was in print when the policy was executed stands....  simply put, one cannot retroactively change the terms of an agreement once it has been agreed to and executed by all parties.....

ricepig

« Reply #177 on: May 03, 2018, 12:49:09 pm »

Then he has no issue as what was in print when the policy was executed stands....  simply put, one cannot retroactively change the terms of an agreement once it has been agreed to and executed by all parties.....
What if the policy isn't executed until it is signed off by the underwriters, not the agent selling it? As has been mentioned, Lloyds has 20 days to answer, we'll see what their response is.

Grizzlyfan

• Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #178 on: May 03, 2018, 12:53:30 pm »

This is why I asked about a timeline earlier.  This injury, apparently, first occurred in 2015.  It is therefore no surprise that it would be excluded from a policy issued in 2017.

DLUXHOG

« Reply #179 on: May 03, 2018, 12:54:19 pm »

What if the policy isn't executed until it is
What if the policy isn't executed until it is signed off by the underwriters, not the agent selling it? As has been mentioned, Lloyds has 20 days to answer, we'll see what their response is.
signed off by the underwriters, not the agent selling it? As has been mentioned, Lloyds has 20 days to answer, we'll see what their response is.

If it was modified after RWIII executed it, then RWIII would have the opportunity to review and approve the proposed modifications...... even in third world countries.....

ricepig

« Reply #180 on: May 03, 2018, 12:59:12 pm »

signed off by the underwriters, not the agent selling it? As has been mentioned, Lloyds has 20 days to answer, we'll see what their response is.

If it was modified after RWIII executed it, then RWIII would have the opportunity to review and approve the proposed modifications...... even in third world countries.....

Correct, they sent it to him in May 2017 with the changes, and he could either accept them, or receive his premium back. Of course, the changes occurred after he hurt himself again and retired from football.

justmakeit2thebcs

« Reply #181 on: May 03, 2018, 12:59:30 pm »

The fact that they took his money and offered to refund it after the injury will make this very interesting.  I think a jury trial will ge good for RW#.

ricepig

« Reply #182 on: May 03, 2018, 01:01:52 pm »

The fact that they took his money and offered to refund it after the injury will make this very interesting.  I think a jury trial will ge good for RW#.

Oh, I figure a jury trial in Fayetteville will go very well for him! Without reading the application for the policy, we're just speculating on the actual facts to the case.

RagingHawgOn

« Reply #183 on: May 03, 2018, 01:14:13 pm »

Completely asinine.

RagingHawgOn

« Reply #184 on: May 03, 2018, 01:16:32 pm »

Can a policy even be officially sold by an agent without being signed off by an underwriter?

ricepig

« Reply #185 on: May 03, 2018, 01:22:36 pm »

Can a policy even be officially sold by an agent without being signed off by an underwriter?
I have no idea on this type of policy, I'm sure some auto/home insurance is.

hogcards

• The Glimmer Twins
« Reply #186 on: May 03, 2018, 01:50:35 pm »

rtr

« Reply #187 on: May 03, 2018, 01:51:39 pm »

Maybe, maybe not.  It could be what's called a "general denial" without going into specifics of why.  More likely, it will set out some affirmative defenses, a few of which might actually tell us the real reason they're not paying.
I would be surprised if they file a general denial too.  Of course the discovery process will reveal a lot more if it gets that far. 

hogcards

• The Glimmer Twins
« Reply #188 on: May 03, 2018, 01:56:26 pm »

Yes

• Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!
« Reply #189 on: May 03, 2018, 02:06:53 pm »

Correct, they sent it to him in May 2017 with the changes, and he could either accept them, or receive his premium back. Of course, the changes occurred after he hurt himself again and retired from football.
You speak with such absolute confidence (as always) even though you are wrong. Would it surprise you to know that the insurance agent told RWIII that he was covered after he was injured but before the policy was changed.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #190 on: May 03, 2018, 02:09:45 pm »

Lloydís is not an insurance company. It is an insurance marketplace of companies designed to spread any risks across themselves.

colbs

« Reply #191 on: May 03, 2018, 02:20:42 pm »

Yes
That would fall on the agentís E & O if that was case.  If that or the agent misrepresented the coverage the agentís E & O policy would pay.

ricepig

« Reply #192 on: May 03, 2018, 02:37:30 pm »

You speak with such absolute confidence (as always) even though you are wrong. Would it surprise you to know that the insurance agent told RWIII that he was covered after he was injured but before the policy was changed.

Would it surprise you that the insurance agent misspoke? I've read what the plaintiffs have said, I'll wait and see what the defendants respond with. Do you make all of your decisions based on one side of the equation? Again, I hope he's entitled to the money, but there is a reason the defendants think they have a leg to stand on.

ricepig

« Reply #193 on: May 03, 2018, 02:39:13 pm »

Lloydís is not an insurance company. It is an insurance marketplace of companies designed to spread any risks across themselves.

But for all practical purposes they are, in the sense that they pay off the claims, or reinsurance.

31to6

« Reply #194 on: May 03, 2018, 02:42:42 pm »

My point would not be to end insurance just make them more accountable.  How did they get more money than banks because they have kept way more than they pay out and will fight you tooth and nail to keep from ever having to pay out.  Again they should be nonprofit only ever keeping enough money to pay out there policies and pay there employees.  Not make there board Billions of dollars.
It is a complete myth that insurance companies make money by paying out less than they take in premiums.

Most insurance companies operate a 1:1 ratio or worse. Big insurance companies often have the cost of underwriting (payouts, admin costs) that are much higher than their premiums collected. Indeed, almost all auto insurance is sold at a loss, for example.

Where they make money is building an investment pool.

1HourToHogville

« Reply #195 on: May 03, 2018, 02:47:04 pm »

Applications for insurance in health/disability/life usually are completed with a "Conditional Receipt" clause.  Coverage is neither "binding" nor "non-binding" to use insurance terms.
Essentially, if underwriting approves the application after review with no modifications, then coverage was effective the day the application was signed.  If underwriting review reveals a reason the application should be declined, you get your money back.  If underwriting review reveals you are insurable but under different terms (a higher premium for an increased risk or specific conditions that they do not want to be liable for) they may offer a modified policy.  If applicant doesn't accept, full refund and no coverage ever existed.

These contracts are generally well written and have stood the test of time in court systems.  The more likely angle the lawyers will pursue is the agents explanation of the application process and whether an error or omission was made in completing the application or any misrepresentations made regarding the contract.  The insurance company as well will explore to see if the applicant misrepresented himself regarding his health condition or made a material misstatement of fact.
Of course, everything could have been done correctly and the situation is just as it should be from a legal standpoint. 
Best thing is, by nearly all accounts he seems to be a genuinely good person and will go on to have success off the field.

• Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!
« Reply #196 on: May 03, 2018, 03:09:34 pm »

Would it surprise you that the insurance agent misspoke? I've read what the plaintiffs have said, I'll wait and see what the defendants respond with. Do you make all of your decisions based on one side of the equation? Again, I hope he's entitled to the money, but there is a reason the defendants think they have a leg to stand on.
I'm not basing my thoughts on the complaint, which I haven't read. We'll see how it works out. regardless, you'll claim to be the only person with an actual understanding.

ricepig

« Reply #197 on: May 03, 2018, 03:14:07 pm »

I'm not basing my thoughts on the complaint, which I haven't read. We'll see how it works out. regardless, you'll claim to be the only person with an actual understanding.

Applications for insurance in health/disability/life usually are completed with a "Conditional Receipt" clause.  Coverage is neither "binding" nor "non-binding" to use insurance terms.
Essentially, if underwriting approves the application after review with no modifications, then coverage was effective the day the application was signed.  If underwriting review reveals a reason the application should be declined, you get your money back.  If underwriting review reveals you are insurable but under different terms (a higher premium for an increased risk or specific conditions that they do not want to be liable for) they may offer a modified policy.  If applicant doesn't accept, full refund and no coverage ever existed.

These contracts are generally well written and have stood the test of time in court systems.  The more likely angle the lawyers will pursue is the agents explanation of the application process and whether an error or omission was made in completing the application or any misrepresentations made regarding the contract.  The insurance company as well will explore to see if the applicant misrepresented himself regarding his health condition or made a material misstatement of fact.
Of course, everything could have been done correctly and the situation is just as it should be from a legal standpoint. 
Best thing is, by nearly all accounts he seems to be a genuinely good person and will go on to have success off the field.

hog.goblin

« Reply #198 on: May 03, 2018, 03:35:19 pm »

which "results"?

All the results that are not football, arguably basketball if you hate Mike.  But make no misktake, he was fired for football, and specifically for not being willing to fire Bret.

hog.goblin

« Reply #199 on: May 03, 2018, 03:40:04 pm »

How do you know if you havenít even read the complaint?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas