• 396,432 Topics
• 22,588 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: RW III suing insurance companies  (Read 9407 times)

mhsbc59

• All-American Hogvillian
  • "Cause thats how I Role"
Re: RW III suing insurance companies
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 01:57:07 pm »

Give that man his Money.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 01:57:56 pm »

Wasn't there some rumors when Long was dismissed that this very topic was a part of his dismissal?

k.c.hawg

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 02:09:49 pm »

Wasn't there some rumors when Long was dismissed that this very topic was a part of his dismissal?

Why?? If Drs cleared him and Lloyds insured him, wth would that have to do with Jeff Long??

wildturkey8

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 02:18:05 pm »

Anyone have a copy of the complaint?

Jackrabbit Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • 6/27/18: Just another layer of scar tissue
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 02:19:28 pm »

Anyone have a copy of the complaint?

Pretty sure Washington County has electronic filing, so it should be available on the AOC website.

Edit:  Just checked.  It's reported as a 5/1/18 filing on the AOC website, but a copy of the Complaint hasn't been downloaded to it yet. 

wildturkey8

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 02:40:19 pm »

Pretty sure Washington County has electronic filing, so it should be available on the AOC website.

Edit:  Just checked.  It's reported as a 5/1/18 filing on the AOC website, but a copy of the Complaint hasn't been downloaded to it yet. 
Thanks Jackrabbitt.

jgphillips3

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Life is too short for bad beer.
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2018, 02:57:07 pm »

Why?? If Drs cleared him and Lloyds insured him, wth would that have to do with Jeff Long??

See this thread for some discussion:

http://forums.hogville.net/index.php?topic=646641.0

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2018, 03:04:18 pm »

Sad to hear the Insurance company trying not to pay.

bigred223

• Hogvillian
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2018, 03:19:42 pm »

Not surprising though.

#hammerdown

• Varsity
  • Bring Back the Chrome Dome
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2018, 03:33:51 pm »

I love RWIII and hope he gets paid.  But if the insurance policy was to protect against career ending injury he may have a hard time proving it.  I would assume that is what the insurance company is banking on.  RWIII made the choice to walk away from football because of the risk after his second near catastrophe. 

It is sad but probably true that he would have had to be paralyzed after the spring game scare in order for the insurance company to be forced to pay off.

justmakeit2thebcs

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2018, 03:35:34 pm »

If it was Long's fault, as falsely rumored, why is RWIII suing the inurance company?

PorkSoda

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2018, 03:39:12 pm »

If it was Long's fault, as falsely rumored, why is RWIII suing the inurance company?
I don't know what it is that Long was rumored to have done, but if the insurance isn't paying RWIII because Long messed up something with the paperwork, then it would be partially Longs fault and RWIII would still be suing the Insurance Company.

Arazorbackguy1

• Alive!
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2018, 03:40:30 pm »

I love RWIII and hope he gets paid.  But if the insurance policy was to protect against career ending injury he may have a hard time proving it.  I would assume that is what the insurance company is banking on.  RWIII made the choice to walk away from football because of the risk after his second near catastrophe. 

It is sad but probably true that he would have had to be paralyzed after the spring game scare in order for the insurance company to be forced to pay off.

Agree.  Why would any insurance company agree to pay a million dollars to someone with pre-existing neck injury?  There has to be iron-clad language in that contract that is going to be hard for any lawyer to argue.  The insurance companies arenít dummies and certainly wouldnít pay out just because football is no longer safe to play.  I would think multiple doctor opinions would be involved here stating he physically canít play football. 

pg1862

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2018, 05:47:57 pm »

This. I had two strokes a couple of years ago and had a stroke policy. I didn't get a penny because I didn't have permanent damage, though the medical bills didn't go away.

k.c.hawg

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2018, 05:51:18 pm »

I have had multiple discs removed and replaced with allograft replacements and multiple vertebrae fused in my neck. I would be stunned if Lloyds would ever insure, without excluding that injury from the language of what they would pay on. If that is so, it is probably a matter of was the injury career ending, was it a new injury or a residual problem from the first injury. This could very easily be, not a good case. a lawyer is taking it on with no out of pocket cost to RWIII and he will take 50% to 60% of whatever comes down the line. Wish him all the best but Lloyds does a lot of difficult policies and fights on paying a lot of them.

Rudy Baylor

• Hogvillian
  • We're afraid of STP girls Bluto
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2018, 05:52:03 pm »

that'll be good enough for Guv

it's all Jeff Long's fault

hog.goblin

• It's not revenge he's after. It's a reckoning.
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2018, 05:53:07 pm »

He also named the individual agent.  Likely misrepresentation of what the insurance would or would not cover.  The preexisting condition isnít an issue if all parties adjusted accordingly.  Such as the insurance company raising their risk, the resulting premium, and RW3 the resulting evidence of injury.  A lawsuit means somewhere in the above there is disagreement or misunderstanding of those terms. 

LZH

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2018, 05:59:19 pm »

That is a really good point. It is probably going to meet in the middle somewhere, depending on how convincing Williams doctors are. Personally, the way insurance companies are sticking it to us all, I hope he gets paid well.

Mike Irwin

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2018, 08:21:27 pm »

Yes. After Long was fired a rumor began circulating that Long had arranged the policy for RWIII but it was poorly written and not payable. To avoid embarrassment Long supposedly paid RWIII $1 million out of the foundation. Clearly that was nonsense.

(notOM)Rebel123

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2018, 09:40:42 pm »

I don't know what it is that Long was rumored to have done, but if the insurance isn't paying RWIII because Long messed up something with the paperwork, then it would be partially Longs fault and RWIII would still be suing the Insurance Company.

The paperwork responsibility would be on RWIII, not Long.

PorkSoda

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2018, 09:44:36 pm »

The paperwork responsibility would be on RWIII, not Long.

Mike Irwin already stated that the rumor was nonsense, so arguing over what role Long might have played in it is nonsensical.

pigture perfect

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2018, 10:07:24 pm »

Shameful that it has come to this. Hate it for him.

BigBen

• Varsity
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2018, 10:21:10 pm »

Similar situation occurred back in the day with Marcus Monk. After he had his injuries that essentially prevented him from having a successful NFL career he tried collecting on his insurance plan and was denied.

Arazorbackguy1

• Alive!
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2018, 12:09:14 am »

Similar situation occurred back in the day with Marcus Monk. After he had his injuries that essentially prevented him from having a successful NFL career he tried collecting on his insurance plan and was denied.

Thus Malik.

• Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2018, 06:21:35 am »

The insurance company changed the terms of the policy AFTER RWIII was injured, claiming he was retroactively ineligible for compensation. It's not supposed to work that way.

#hammerdown

• Varsity
  • Bring Back the Chrome Dome
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2018, 06:38:55 am »

The insurance company changed the terms of the policy AFTER RWIII was injured, claiming he was retroactively ineligible for compensation. It's not supposed to work that way.

If this is accurate......................He's got a chance.  Go get your money RWIII

(notOM)Rebel123

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2018, 07:13:26 am »

Mike Irwin already stated that the rumor was nonsense, so arguing over what role Long might have played in it is nonsensical.

...Iíll take ďHow many ways can I use a form of nonsense in a sentenceĒ for $100 Alex. Geez.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2018, 07:22:01 am »

Agree.  Why would any insurance company agree to pay a million dollars to someone with pre-existing neck injury?  There has to be iron-clad language in that contract that is going to be hard for any lawyer to argue.  The insurance companies arenít dummies and certainly wouldnít pay out just because football is no longer safe to play.  I would think multiple doctor opinions would be involved here stating he physically canít play football.

That is EXACTLy what these insurance policies are full. Schools are allowed to pay for these policies for upper classmen Incase of injury prohibiting them from continuing on, like a loss in income/revenue policy if injured.  For instance Coowney at South Carolina had a huge one because he was contemplating not even playing his last year to risk injury for his top draft pick.  The South Carolina running back that destroyed his kneee a few years ago, had a policy and cashed in on it. 

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2018, 07:53:26 am »

I sometimes wish we didnít have to have insurance companies in the world. I donít have a lot of respect for them.

Shorttimer

« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2018, 08:13:05 am »

I sometimes wish we didn’t have to have insurance companies in the world. I don’t have a lot of respect for them.

Everybody hates insurance companies until they run a red light.

jkstock04

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2018, 08:17:10 am »

I sometimes wish we didnít have to have insurance companies in the world. I donít have a lot of respect for them.

One of the biggest scams in world history if you really look at how they operate. In short they love to take money but hate giving any back.

jjdlc

« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2018, 08:29:42 am »

One of the biggest scams in world history if you really look at how they operate. In short they love to take money but hate giving any back.

No joke.  My mother carried a critical illness policy for years.  When she was diagnosed with Leukemia we thought it would help with some of the bills. Wrong, Leukemia apparently isn't classified as a critical illness...

colbs

« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2018, 08:44:31 am »

Not all.  A lot of times people look at the price instead of the coverages they are getting or the carrier they with.

Been10Hog

• Senior
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2018, 08:47:51 am »

there is a difference in being "insured" and being insured the way you want. From personal experience, if Jeff Long or whoever was responsible for obtaining the policy didn't do their due diligence when buying the policy, RW3 could be screwed!

mhsbc59

« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2018, 08:47:52 am »

Not all.  A lot of times people look at the price instead of the coverages they are getting or the carrier they with.

must be an insurance salesman or in sales.  Insurance is a scam brought about by the major industries to make even more money and charge ever high prices.

mhsbc59

« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2018, 08:50:01 am »

all insurance should be non profit.

colbs

« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2018, 08:58:42 am »

must be an insurance salesman or in sales.  Insurance is a scam brought about by the major industries to make even more money and charge ever high prices.
Underwriter, commercial though.  You would be surprised how much premium most companies are getting vs losses- at least on the commercial side.

Razorbackers

• Good Takes Found Here
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2018, 09:10:03 am »

all insurance should be non profit.

You're thinking of healthcare.

Insurance is a different thing.

hog.goblin

• It's not revenge he's after. It's a reckoning.
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2018, 09:24:23 am »

Insurance is not a scam.  Itís pooling risk by sharing smaller amounts of dollars to cover larger unlikely expenses through probabilities and actuarial testing.  However, it probably should be a nonprofit industry becuase of the incompetence of so many salesman, the structure of commission based sales, and the need to have profits for shareholders.

There are very good products out there if you do your due diligence.

jkstock04

« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2018, 09:40:58 am »

Insurance is not a scam.  Itís pooling risk by sharing smaller amounts of dollars to cover larger unlikely expenses through probabilities and actuarial testing.  However, it probably should be a nonprofit industry becuase of the incompetence of so many salesman, the structure of commission based sales, and the need to have profits for shareholders.

There are very good products out there if you do your due diligence.
Still the same basic principle. Look what's going on with our ex RB. Perfect example. They are in it to make $$$. If they gave in 100% to every honest and legit claim they probably wouldn't be in business. Actual fraud they have to fight every day doesn't help but the point remains.

In this case they may be able to settle for half price or less. Win for them.

Grizzlyfan

« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2018, 09:42:21 am »

Was RWIII cleared to play? but voluntarily decided to stop?

rtr

« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2018, 09:45:03 am »

They are trying to destroy an independent judiciary in Arkansas with a constitutional amendment to allow the Arkansas General Assembly to write the rules of civil and criminal procedure.  Throws out the concept of separation of powers.

mhsbc59

« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2018, 10:06:40 am »

Underwriter, commercial though.  You would be surprised how much premium most companies are getting vs losses- at least on the commercial side.

commercial side lol yall just scratchin each others backs or a better example would be its legal organized crime.  its the little man that always getts stuffed with the bill

mhsbc59

« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2018, 10:15:46 am »

Still the same basic principle. Look what's going on with our ex RB. Perfect example. They are in it to make $$$. If they gave in 100% to every honest and legit claim they probably wouldn't be in business. Actual fraud they have to fight every day doesn't help but the point remains.

i believe I read somewhere that insurance some insurance companies spend more on lawyers fighting payouts then they actually payout.

Grizzlyfan

« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2018, 10:28:49 am »

None of us have any idea why the insurance company has rejected the claim.

DukeOfPork

« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2018, 10:38:00 am »

This. I had two strokes a couple of years ago and had a stroke policy. I didn't get a penny because I didn't have permanent damage, though the medical bills didn't go away.

Sidenote: it is insane that we accept this system.  That you are saddled with debt simply because you had a stroke. 

arthurhawgerelli

« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2018, 10:39:15 am »

Was RWIII cleared to play? but voluntarily decided to stop?

No.  He was told it wasn't in his best interest to continue playing by his doctor.

DukeOfPork

« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2018, 10:40:56 am »

None of us have any idea why the insurance company has rejected the claim.

Insurance companies are in the business of NOT paying out claims.  That is all part of their business model. 

Unfortunately, that disproportionately affects those who don't have the means and the intellect to fight it.

Jim Harris

• Global Moderator
  • Bring me some DTs!
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2018, 10:42:48 am »

Yeah, that's never happened before. ;)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas