• 394,679 Topics
• 22,262 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Other than Arkansas . . .  (Read 3703 times)

WizardofhOgZ

Other than Arkansas . . .
« on: May 01, 2018, 09:51:38 am »

Usually, when I'm watching a college game not involving Arkansas, my default rooting interest is based on what outcome will best benefit Arkansas - be that due to conference standings, boosting our SOS, or whatever.

But, there are games when none of that really applies.  For example, last season - when we won just four games - NO outcome of another game really affected/enhanced how the rest of the nation perceived the Razorbacks, because we were irrelevant regardless.  So, my question to all is, when you are watching such a game - one in which there is really no vested interest or impact on Arkansas - what are three teams you would normally root for?

For me, it would be TCU, Stanford and Georgia Tech.  Back in the day, I kind of liked Tennessee too - before we played them in SEC play.  Probably, upon reflection about why that was, it was because they sort of were to Alabama in the SEC what we were to Texas - almost always "pretty good", but playing in Texas/Alabama's shadow to the rest of the country most of the time.  However, once we started playing them annually (which ended long ago) in the SEC, that changed.

So - why TCU, Stanford and Georgia Tech?

In the case of TCU, I simply respect how that program was turned around from a perennial doormat (for decades) into a consistent top 20 team over the last 15+ years.  That's incredibly difficult to do, so they have my respect.  Plus, I like the fact that they did it based primarily on solid defense first; the offense came along later.  And, they didn't just turn around their product on the field.  Having attended many Arkansas games at Amon Carter stadium, it was moribund in the past.  When I went there for our game in 2016, it was a very good college football atmosphere.  I was really impressed.

Stanford plays the style of football I most enjoy - dominant offensive line, strong running game, very good tight ends, and solid defense.  In other words, the same type of program that Bielema was attempting to implement at Arkansas, but ultimately failed to do successfully.  Plus, you never hear anything about them cutting corners or doing anything illegal.  And at a place like Stanford, you know they aren't getting any favors from the admission office.  Just seems to be a program doing it the right way.

Finally - and I know I'm in the minority - but I'm a fan of a well-run, classic triple option offense.  If run correctly, with precision and good decisions by the QB, it can be frustratingly difficult for even very good teams to stop.  I'll admit that 35 years ago - when probably half of the country went through a phase of trying either the wishbone or veer option for a few years - it was a little bit boring to watch many match-ups of option team vs. option team every week.  But now that there are just a handful (mostly, the service academies), I enjoy watching Tech move methodically down the field against their opponents.

How about you?  Who do you "kind of" root for, if the Hogs are not involved or impacted by the outcome?

Hogs-n-Roses

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Coming to a Stadium Near You!
Re: Other than Arkansas . . .
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 10:09:10 am »

Love the option. When we ran option plays with Matt Jones or D Mac in the backfield we were a force. Back further,Grovey.

I used to pull for SEC teams  period when they were facing out of conference foes. I have changed my tune on that and have started pulling against what I call the "cheaters" (bama,AU,Ga.,Fla., Tenn.)Outside the conference I pull automatically against tOSU,USC,Clemson,Fla.State,Miami,OK.Oregon, for the same reasons.

This pay for play thing has progressed to a point where its hard for me to even enjoy the games like I used to. I just hope the FBI does for football what is emerging in basketball.

I " kind of root for the dog" Yes I'm pulling for the underdog each week from now on and if its 2 cheaters, then I'refuse to watch. I lived in South La. for many years and have many LSU fans as friends so I'm going with them as my second team as I hate to see my buddies in pain.I like to travel down there still for several reasons, the food,the food and the food.

Forgive me for leaving A$M off the cheaters list.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 10:19:30 am »

Usually, when I'm watching a college game not involving Arkansas, my default rooting interest is based on what outcome will best benefit Arkansas - be that due to conference standings, boosting our SOS, or whatever.

But, there are games when none of that really applies.  For example, last season - when we won just four games - NO outcome of another game really affected/enhanced how the rest of the nation perceived the Razorbacks, because we were irrelevant regardless.  So, my question to all is, when you are watching such a game - one in which there is really no vested interest or impact on Arkansas - what are three teams you would normally root for?

For me, it would be TCU, Stanford and Georgia Tech.  Back in the day, I kind of liked Tennessee too - before we played them in SEC play.  Probably, upon reflection about why that was, it was because they sort of were to Alabama in the SEC what we were to Texas - almost always "pretty good", but playing in Texas/Alabama's shadow to the rest of the country most of the time.  However, once we started playing them annually (which ended long ago) in the SEC, that changed.

So - why TCU, Stanford and Georgia Tech?

In the case of TCU, I simply respect how that program was turned around from a perennial doormat (for decades) into a consistent top 20 team over the last 15+ years.  That's incredibly difficult to do, so they have my respect.  Plus, I like the fact that they did it based primarily on solid defense first; the offense came along later.  And, they didn't just turn around their product on the field.  Having attended many Arkansas games at Amon Carter stadium, it was moribund in the past.  When I went there for our game in 2016, it was a very good college football atmosphere.  I was really impressed.

Stanford plays the style of football I most enjoy - dominant offensive line, strong running game, very good tight ends, and solid defense.  In other words, the same type of program that Bielema was attempting to implement at Arkansas, but ultimately failed to do successfully.  Plus, you never hear anything about them cutting corners or doing anything illegal.  And at a place like Stanford, you know they aren't getting any favors from the admission office.  Just seems to be a program doing it the right way.

Finally - and I know I'm in the minority - but I'm a fan of a well-run, classic triple option offense.  If run correctly, with precision and good decisions by the QB, it can be frustratingly difficult for even very good teams to stop.  I'll admit that 35 years ago - when probably half of the country went through a phase of trying either the wishbone or veer option for a few years - it was a little bit boring to watch many match-ups of option team vs. option team every week.  But now that there are just a handful (mostly, the service academies), I enjoy watching Tech move methodically down the field against their opponents.

How about you?  Who do you "kind of" root for, if the Hogs are not involved or impacted by the outcome?

I with you and for me TCU tickets were very cheap along with Parking most of the time I lived in DFW since 1993.

LRhawg926

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 10:54:59 am »

I like UGA and South Carolina in the SEC. I do not really watch anything outside of the hogs. But if I find myself rooting for other teams, it is usually those. I also like Louisiana Tech due to proximity and have had a lot of family go there.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Hogville Executive Consulting LLC
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 11:18:25 am »

Miami, Texas tech, ULM AKA the power 5 slayer

pigasaurus

• Senior
  • Simply the greatest
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 11:44:35 am »

Miami, Texas tech, ULM AKA the power 5 slayer
I still have the habit of calling them NLU.

Suidae Suis Scrofa

• Varsity
  • Before there was Tusk, there was Big Red.
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 11:55:55 am »

This is an excellent off season topic.  Thanks for starting the discussion.  Personally I don't have any D1 favorite teams other than the Hogs so I don't have any others I regularly root for.  My rooting is more of a game-by-game event.  Last year I did pull for UCF when I watched them, but that was because I'm a sucker for the Shaquem Griffin story.

The only other team I regularly root for is my alma mater, but it's hard to find MIT games to watch on TV.

-phil

Suidae Suis Scrofa

• Varsity
  • Before there was Tusk, there was Big Red.
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2018, 11:56:44 am »

Forgive me for leaving A$M off the cheaters list.

Did you miss Ole Miss jumping up and down waving their arms like crazy?  ;D

-phil
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 01:53:52 pm by Suidae Suis Scrofa »

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2018, 12:50:59 pm »

I have several teams that I root against more than rooting FOR a team.

Auburn, Ohio State, Texas probably a few others, but I love to see those three lose no matter who they play. 

HappyFan

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2018, 12:53:01 pm »

I like Georgia Tech and the Armed Forces teams, I really like watching the triple option.

NoogaHog

• Senior
  • WPS from Southern Appalachia
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2018, 12:58:29 pm »

Because I have lived here for 20 years now, I would have to say Georgia. I especially liked them when Mark Richt was there, a little less so now.

It is funny, where I live, in Northwest GA, it seems to be about 1/3 UGA fans, 1/3 Tennessee fans, and 1/3 Bama fans. But you really can tell allegiances just by looks. The hoidy toidy richer folks tend to be UT fans, the backwoods, "I ain't never seed a skool, but my sister sure is purdy" folks tend to be Bama fans, and the Georgia fans tend to be the regular folks in the middle.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2018, 01:51:19 pm »

i dont like them... but i sure like watching Alabama, especially on the defensive side of the ball... This past season I also enjoyed watching UCF play!

311Hog

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2018, 01:54:11 pm »

Army Black Knights and Georgia Bulldogs

verticalhog

• Senior
  • Let's get vertical!!!
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2018, 01:58:57 pm »

Tarheels since I got my Ph.D. there, Texas Tech since my son is on the faculty of their medical school, and Auburn since all of my relatives on my mother's side of the family went to school there.  Yep, I know some of these schools are not liked by many Hog supporters but family and alumni considerations run deep.

davehog

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2018, 02:05:00 pm »

Southern Cal - the white sweater wearing cheerleaders and their fight song. 

Believe it or not Iím a Texas fan. Miss playing the Horns on a regular schedule.

Underdog theme teams (similar to Arkansas)  WV, Iowa, Colorado, Mich St

Iím also a fan of Stanford. If my kid were a D1 athlete itíd be hard for me to advise against going there

While I donít like K State I respect what coach Snyder has done there. Tougher place to win than Arkansas

Cinco de Hogo

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2018, 02:10:46 pm »

Often I find myself interested in and watching more B12 football than SEC football so I guess my 2nd favorite team is anybody in the B12 not named Texass.

NoogaHog

• Senior
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2018, 02:17:58 pm »

I also tend to like teams that are usually pretty good, but always seem to be also-rans in their conference. Kinda like Arkansas until the last 6 years happened.

NC State, VT (I was really praying those 2 were coming to the SEC a few years ago), Wisconsin, Okie Lite.

oldhog63

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2018, 02:26:42 pm »

Auburn, Ohio State, Texas probably a few others, but I love to see those three lose no matter who they play. 

I am the same. The Auburn hate will probably go away once Malzahn leaves to be replaced by whatever team he coaches and the Ohio State hate kinda ebbs and flows. It is high right now with Meyer as the coach. I was on the team that got screwed over by SMU, so they are on the list. Tennessee is on the list after the 1971 Liberty Bowl. As a kid, I used to watch the Bill Battle show any time Tennessee lost just to see the sad faces. I still enjoy seeing Tennessee lose, but most of the pure hatred has dissipated.

But, the Texas hate will never go away (I am of that generation) no matter who coaches or how bad they are.

If I see a game with any of the above teams losing, I will stop and watch. Once it becomes obvious they will win, I will find another game unless it is the only one on.

I am a huge college football fan, so if not at a Hog game on Saturday, then I am watching whoever is playing from 11 am until the last game ends around midnight. My favorite teams are those which have dominating defenses. Would rather watch a defensive game than one with a basketball score.

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2018, 02:45:33 pm »

Other than the Razorbacks, the only others I care about are Clemson and UCA (yes, I know that is not earth-shattering).  :)

The ones I really don't care about are;

Texas
Ohio State
Oklahoma
Alabama  (getting real old seeing them win almost all the time)

FraggleHog

• My name is on Senior Walk
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2018, 03:00:25 pm »

Navy, Army and Airforce (in that order) - Respect the fact those kids are going to be serving our country after graduation
SMU - Went there and played for them for a year
Vandy - Love Nashville and love that campus
'Bama - we more than likely are witnessing the G.O.A.T. in Saban. I will root for them over Auburn and anybody they play in the CFP
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 04:08:04 pm by FraggleHog »

SemperHawg

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2018, 03:36:32 pm »

It's not so much who I root for as who I root against.

Ohio St, Michigan, Penn St., USC, Texas, Texas A&M, and Tenner.  Unless one of those teams winning directly leads to a positive impact for the Hogs, I will root against them every time I see them on the TV.

NoogaHog

• Senior
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2018, 05:19:06 pm »

Back before Bobby's bike crash, and darkness filled the land, I rooted for all of Arkansas' opponents when they weren't playing the Hogs. As my dad would tell me, "I want every team we play to be undefeated when we play them. It looks better when we win." (I actually think Coach Broyles said something like that back in the day) So when Arkansas was hoping to be in the title hunt, I wanted every other team to be 11-1 (or 10-1 for you old-timers).

I think that is where the SEC! SEC! SEC! mentality came from for me. Most weeks the Hogs got a chance to beat a NC contender and elevate their own standing. Saban killed the conference. Arkansas plummeted. Now I find myself more excited about playing a 3 or 4 loss team than Alabama or whoever.

Now, I don't care how well the conference does nationally. I would take some Ken Hatfield years in a New York minute. Beat up a weak conference and get rolled in a bowl game. Sign me up. Maybe if we start competing again, my attitude will improve.

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2018, 05:24:56 pm »

Ohio State - no
Notre Dame - no
OU - no

Everyone else I guess it depends on who is playing who.

oldhawg

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2018, 05:27:39 pm »

TCU (my daughter's alma mater).
USNA (my son's alma mater)
US Military Academy (I am a retired Army veteran).
AFA (just because it is the other Service Academy)

BOAR_N2BWILD

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2018, 09:05:36 pm »

Teams that I always root against: LSU (corndogs), Auburn(actually it is Gus that I root against), Ohio State (HATE Urban Cryer), Florida State, (Hate FSU but Really Hate Jimbo , so now Texas A&M), Pedd State (deserved the death penalty), Notre Dame (over-rated EVERY year), Michigan (as long as the Whiner Hairball is the coach)

Teams I cheer for other that HOGS: Clemson, Oklahoma State, Stanford, UGA, Now Mark Richt at Miami

Teams I just don't like but can cheer for If I need to: Alabama, Tennessee, TCU, Louisville ,  Washington State

hoglady

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2018, 09:55:19 pm »

Geaux Tigers - always root for LSU except when they play the Hogs.

And I root against Texas and Ohio St.

hogcards

• The Glimmer Twins
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2018, 08:46:52 am »

I have a vested interest in Northern Illinois and Alabama.  Other than those two, I really don't care.

I despise Notre Dame, Ohio St., Michigan, USC, Texas, Florida St., Miami, Oklahoma... a few others.

porque

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2018, 09:29:47 am »

Navy
Stanford
Washington
Whoever is playing Notre Dame
Whoever is playing Ole Piss
Whoever is playing Teaxs
Whoever is playing Michigan (I used to like Michigan.  Harbaugh ruined it for me) 
Whoever is playing against Kliff Kingsbury

ALLVOL

« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2018, 09:39:02 am »

I have to say I'm a little surprised the UT hate is less than I expected. But it's a little bitter because I know that comes from us being so bad for several years.

Other than UT and the Hogs I like the Military Academies always. I root against all Big 10 schools period!
Other than Texass and Baylor I kinda pull for Big 12 schools and anywhere the crazy Pirate coaches because he is pure comedic gold. LOL

NoogaHog

• Senior
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2018, 11:30:53 am »

I have to say I'm a little surprised the UT hate is less than I expected. But it's a little bitter because I know that comes from us being so bad for several years.

Other than UT and the Hogs I like the Military Academies always. I root against all Big 10 schools period!
Other than Texass and Baylor I kinda pull for Big 12 schools and anywhere the crazy Pirate coaches because he is pure comedic gold. LOL

I think the UT hate is less because neither of us are very good and we only play once a generation. I mean, they have only played 4 times since 2002. (Arkansas is 3-1 in that period of time. The only loss was the "Golden Handcuffs" game - Dammit Nutt!)

Melancholy_Pigg

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2018, 08:34:52 am »

OU - lot of family from Oklahoma and went there for grad school. 

I got so disgusted with Bielema that at the end of last season I told my boys (13 & 9) that I couldn't stand it any more.  We were ending our season tickets and donation and becoming full time OU fans.   (I know, don't let the door hit you)

We had been through the John L. year (ugh) and the losses from Bielema, the low dog feelings of the A&M losses year after year out at Jerry-World. 

It is hard to be with a young man entering the formative football years and see disappointment after disappointment.  When I was a kid going to Hog games in the 80's we won.  A lot.  Do not remember a lot of home losses in the Hatfield years.

But the 13 year old told me it was too late - I had made him a Hog fan and he couldn't change.

I almost felt guilty of some form of child abuse.

But they cleaned house and Morris has us on board.  I really feel like he could be the right man at the right place at the right time.  The Bielema hire always felt weird to me left me scratching my head it just didn't make sense.  Any of it.  Why he would come.  Why we would want a Big 10 lifer with no ties to SEC or the South.  Look beyond the Bielema accomplishments at Wiscy and they were due to other schools being on probation.

As for teams I hate

Auburn has become the team I loathe.  I really had no strong feelings about them when we first joined the SEC or up until recently.  But AU in the past 7 or 8 years - I can't stand them.  Cheaters, low fans.  Just dirtbags.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

• Melyssa Forde. Simply One of the Greatest.
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2018, 11:20:09 am »

I am the same. The Auburn hate will probably go away once Malzahn leaves to be replaced by whatever team he coaches and the Ohio State hate kinda ebbs and flows. It is high right now with Meyer as the coach. I was on the team that got screwed over by SMU, so they are on the list. Tennessee is on the list after the 1971 Liberty Bowl. As a kid, I used to watch the Bill Battle show any time Tennessee lost just to see the sad faces. I still enjoy seeing Tennessee lose, but most of the pure hatred has dissipated.

But, the Texas hate will never go away (I am of that generation) no matter who coaches or how bad they are.

If I see a game with any of the above teams losing, I will stop and watch. Once it becomes obvious they will win, I will find another game unless it is the only one on.

I am a huge college football fan, so if not at a Hog game on Saturday, then I am watching whoever is playing from 11 am until the last game ends around midnight. My favorite teams are those which have dominating defenses. Would rather watch a defensive game than one with a basketball score.

Totally agree about Ohio State and strong defense games.  Also hate USC, OU, and strong dislike for Texas.   Will probably turn back to hate once Herrmann turns that program around.

EDIT: Forgot to put aTm and LSU on that list
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 11:31:45 am by SooiecidetillNuttgone »

rzrbaxfan

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2018, 12:13:13 pm »

I can't say that there is a non-hog team that I consistently root for.   I enjoyed certain era's of different teams, but if I'm not watching a hog game (or a game that impacts the hogs), I tend to cheer for the underdog.

redhogchilipepper

« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2018, 02:29:26 pm »

Donít watch many but when I do I like Okie State Grundy puts on a good show. Iowa State has had some good games lately too. I may start watching Memphis and see if they can keep improving.

liljo

• Senior
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2018, 02:46:17 pm »

I can't say that there is a non-hog team that I consistently root for.   I enjoyed certain era's of different teams, but if I'm not watching a hog game (or a game that impacts the hogs), I tend to cheer for the underdog.

Same here.

It'd be easier for me to name my most hated list:
1. Auburn (a mercurial rise, developed over the last few years) :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:
2. Texas (probably impossible to understand if you are under 50 years old) :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: ::hornsdown::
3. Alabama
4. (Tie) Missouri :puke: Hell University
5. Mississippi
6. Texas A&M
7. Michigan
8. Ohio State
9. Notre Dame
10. Southern Cal

But if Auburn were to play Communist China, I'd root against 'em. I watch the Auburn-Alabama game and have found myself having to pray for forgiveness because I was secretly rooting for injuries. I flat out HATE Texas. Hate 'em. Don't like anything about them. Never root for them against anyone. Yet, if they played Auburn, I'd be hollerin' "hook em horns."  :puke:

Same with Ohio State, but to a lesser degree of hatred. The only game I ever root for OSU is against Michigan. Notre Dame? There's only one game in which I root for them, and that's when they play USC.

But there is another school swiftly moving up the list for me. Missouri. It goes deeper than sports, too.

You'd think I'd have LSU on my list, but the fact is, I always got treated very well down there. I LOVE tailgatin' with the Cajun People! "You goin' pass a good time!" Been down there five or four times! :D

Wardhog85

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2018, 04:51:39 pm »

My dad is from Indiana, so Notre Dame would be the other team I follow.

hogginbama

« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2018, 04:55:15 pm »

If the Hogs aren't playing I have started pulling for Wisconsin. After living in Madison and being exposed to a beer known as "Spotted Cow", the place grew on me. Other than that, I am always drawn to the underdogs of the game being shown.

Pudgepork

• Horse Racings most unlikely champ
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2018, 06:48:54 pm »

Any games not involving the hogs, ill find games where theres a chance a hated team is going to lose.   

Never root against the service acadamies.

Totally nuetral games, i just yell pan the cheerleaders!  Well, unless its an A&M game

LAHogfan123

« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2018, 09:30:40 pm »

I only care if Arkansas is playing, if some other college team from Arkansas is playing some team from another state then I'll want the Arkansas team to win.  That's about it.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2018, 02:10:01 am »

Wazzu because Mike Leach is a pill and I'm a night owl so love those PAC 12 games that go into the wee hours of the night. Also because I think Craig James is a D Bag so every time Leach wins I say Suck It Craig James

Whoever is playing Ole Miss because they are the worst.

Dark Helmet Hog

• Now let's see how well you handle it...
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2018, 09:13:30 am »

Same here.

It'd be easier for me to name my most hated list:
1. Auburn (a mercurial rise, developed over the last few years) :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:
2. Texas (probably impossible to understand if you are under 50 years old) :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: ::hornsdown::
3. Alabama
4. (Tie) Missouri :puke: Hell University
5. Mississippi
6. Texas A&M
7. Michigan
8. Ohio State
9. Notre Dame
10. Southern Cal

But if Auburn were to play Communist China, I'd root against 'em. I watch the Auburn-Alabama game and have found myself having to pray for forgiveness because I was secretly rooting for injuries. I flat out HATE Texas. Hate 'em. Don't like anything about them. Never root for them against anyone. Yet, if they played Auburn, I'd be hollerin' "hook em horns."  :puke:

Same with Ohio State, but to a lesser degree of hatred. The only game I ever root for OSU is against Michigan. Notre Dame? There's only one game in which I root for them, and that's when they play USC.

But there is another school swiftly moving up the list for me. Missouri. It goes deeper than sports, too.

You'd think I'd have LSU on my list, but the fact is, I always got treated very well down there. I LOVE tailgatin' with the Cajun People! "You goin' pass a good time!" Been down there five or four times! :D

That's a pretty nice list right there. I'd add that LSU team and change the order a little but really nice list.

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I need help with my footwork, too.
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2018, 10:44:18 am »

I've never really cared about any team other than Arkansas. I'll pull for any team when I think a win benefits the Razorbacks. 

As a native Arkansan, I'll also pull for any team from Arkansas. Arkansas State and UCA both have good football programs.  Arkansas, in general, is a state that loves its sports, especially football.  It is still a great football state.  Much better than most here give it credit for being.  The old AIC was a great NAIA conference.  The GAC plays good football.  Harding made the Division II Final Four last year.  When UALR was Little Rock Junior College, it won one "Little Rose Bowl" and had some great years before football was discontinued in 1955. 

Like many others in this thread, I tend to enjoy watching the media darlings and the cheaters take it on the chin.  Ohio State, Michigan, USC, Miami, Florida State, and Notre Dame are on the darling list.  Auburn is at the top of the cheaters list.  The whole SEC West, sans Arkansas, may be the biggest and worst bunch of cheaters in the country.  I have a conflict, though, when SEC West teams play outside the conference.  I believe the SEC West's reputation as the best division in college football is good for the Razorbacks, so I'll even pull for Auburn when they play outside the SEC. 

I've had good experiences with LSU fans as well at tailgates.  They have always been good sports, even after losses.  Same with UT fans.  SEC fans everywhere are usually good people in my experience.  Looking forward to another season - from Division II to the FBS NC.

BearsBisonsBoars

• Senior
  • Arguing with computers for a living
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2018, 06:13:15 pm »

Vandy in football. Eff that school in every other sport, though. Especially Baseball.

Used to root for Tennessee because it's my parents' alma mater. That stopped with the Stoernover, and especially stopped because I still have to hear about that game from my Dad and Uncle.

I like Stanford, but I wouldn't say that I "root" for them.

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2018, 01:36:46 pm »

I pull for the Hogs , the Service Academies, TCU, K,STATE, and who ever playing Tenn or Texas.

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2018, 01:53:35 pm »

Geaux Tigers - always root for LSU except when they play the Hogs.

And I root against Texas and Ohio St.

Well if I had put it this way....Roll Tide.

nchogg

• Senior
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2018, 03:57:09 pm »

Only my Hogs unless I am real bored.

WizardofhOgZ

« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2018, 10:59:07 am »

Yes - I'm also a member of the "whoever is playing ________" club, and your list is a good start on mine.

But for this thread, it's more about who you root FOR, independent of who they are playing (unless it would do Arkansas good for them to lose, of course).

IgotGoodClap

• Band Nerd
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2018, 02:25:46 pm »

i rout for rice

RazorPiggie

« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2018, 03:26:45 pm »

Michigan State. Just like their coach.

HawgwildnMI

• Walk-On
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2018, 09:04:13 pm »

Michigan State. Just like their coach.
Same. Quality coach who's taken a program that was literaly considered little brother to meeechigan and made them stronger and better little brother. I cheer for all SEC team though in non conference play but don't find it easy though.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas