• 10,016,146 Posts
• 401,478 Topics
• 22,977 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Penny Hardaway effect on SEC Basketball Recruiting  (Read 650 times)

jbcarol

Penny Hardaway effect on SEC Basketball Recruiting
« on: April 29, 2018, 09:48:49 am »

5-star Olive Branch commit D.J. Jeffries claims he is not swayed by Penny

Hometown legend and former NBA All-Star Penny Hardaway, Jeffries’ former AAU coach, is now the head coach at the University of Memphis, and the whole city is abuzz.

Tigers wanted Penny, in large part, because of his connection to elite players through his years running a Nike AAU program and coaching a three-time state championship high school team. Recruits are already started to flock to Penny and Memphis, but Jeffries says he won’t be one of them —

“[Penny Mania] is crazy. I hear it and stuff, but I just try to ignore it, ... I hope the best for Penny,” said Jeffries, a 6-foot-7 small forward...

But could Wiseman really turned down the coach who has become his mentor? For whom he left an exclusive private school in Nashville and moved with his mom to Memphis to play high school ball?

“It’ll be really tough, because him and Penny are really close,” Jeffries said. “But that’s life. You gotta make hard decisions sometimes.”

Jeffries was happy to get his decision out of the way early — Wiseman said his is coming in the next 2-4 months — so that he can focus on improving his game, competing for a Peach Jam championship on the Nike circuit and enjoying his senior season in high school.

“James is so quiet and laid back, so you really never know [what he’s thinking]. He don’t show no emotions,” Jeffries said. But he doesn’t buy Wiseman’s recent insistence that other schools, like Kansas and North Carolina are involved. “I think Memphis and Kentucky are his top two.”
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 11:39:18 am by jbcarol »

jbcarol

Re: Penny Hardaway affect on SEC Basketball Recruiting
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 08:35:44 pm »

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/main/d-j-jeffries-decommits-from-kentucky

Good friends with James Wiseman.

First decommit for Calipari at UK.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

jbcarol

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 06:25:37 am »

Penny Hardaway is a threat on the recruiting trail - and potentially, to the college basketball establishment

I was blown away by Hardaway’s presence on the recruiting trail these past few weeks. And I truly believe that he could end up as a thorn in the side of the Calipari’s and Coach K’s of the world, if not an outright, equal competitor.

To fully explain what I mean, let’s go back to two weeks ago at the Adidas Summer Championships near my home in Los Angeles. When I got there, I fully expected to see Hardaway in the building and milling around –

HogCzar1

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 09:49:38 pm »

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/how-memphis-penny-hardaway-and-mike-miller-became-the-most-fascinating-duo-on-the-recruiting-trail

Gary Parrish lives in Memphis, and is doing his part to help Memphis where he can. He might as well be on the Tiger staff, because he is helping Memphis recruit. He is a huge tiger fan.

jbcarol

Re: Penny Hardaway effect on SEC Basketball Recruiting
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2018, 11:40:38 am »

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/evans-seven-programs-riding-a-wave-of-momentum-into-the-fall

Memphis mentioned as a top program riding a wave of momentum entering the fall evaluation period.

jbcarol

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2018, 05:21:30 pm »

James Wiseman to Memphis.

jbcarol

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2018, 10:13:55 am »

Evan Daniels
‏Verified account@EvanDaniels

Penny Hardaway was hired to recruit locally, win national recruiting battles & win games. He's off to a heck of a start. | Column: https://247sports.com/Article/Column-Penny-bringing-excitement-back-to-Memphis-program-125031320/

Arkansas Hog in Dallas

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2018, 12:02:13 pm »

I like Mike, but why can’t he recruit like this?

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Life as a Politics Mod....
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2018, 08:22:13 pm »

I like Mike, but why can’t he recruit like this?

He doesn't use bags of FedEx money.

husker71

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2018, 08:46:01 pm »

He is not Penny Hardaway .    I am in a argument on another thread about this.  I took alot of s--t about my comments about Lil Penny and how the kids dont know anything about that stuff (but their parents and teachers do)   He has coached these kids in AAU and high school so there is already an insider moment with these kids and again their families.  I dont know about this but someone was saying on one of those Xbox games Penny is highly used by many. My friend insists this is big but I have no idea.  Look at his staff   start with him and then go to Sam Mitchell a former NBA player and NBA coach of the year then go to Mike Miller another NBA all star who is a great teacher for 3 point shooting and finally add Tony Madlock who is a long time insider into Memphis area basketball. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas