• 9,924,529 Posts
• 399,199 Topics
• 22,882 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Let's go to fantasy land!  (Read 3561 times)

SemperHawg

Let's go to fantasy land!
« on: April 24, 2018, 08:27:03 am »

I have been on here before saying that I am not on the fire Mike bandwagon just yet, but next season is a big one for him and I'm afraid he just doesn't have the horses to make the dance.

I say all that to bring this up.  I keep up with NBA basketball regular season and especially post season.  There has been a lot going around this season that Billy Donavan needs/needed to make a significant run in the West this year.  As the Thunder draw near losing in the opening round there are a lot more out there that think Billy doesn't make it through the summer with the Thunder.

Where do you think he lands if that is the case, it feels like a no brainer that he would be coming back to college ball right?

greenEGnHAWGS

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Another day in HV Paradise...
Re: Let's go to fantasy land!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 08:46:04 am »

I’m not a “fire MIKE” guy, but I wouldn’t mind seeing Donovan as our coach.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 09:02:08 am »

UCLA.

Or UK and Cal tries NBA one more time.

k.c.hawg

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 09:35:25 am »

Maybe Arizona if things don't go well for Sean Miller!!

mhsbc59

• "Cause thats how I Role"
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 10:45:55 am »

I commened you on think Arkansas could pull in a coach like Billy.  Its no the 90's anymore we are not a high profile basketball school anymore

hogwood

• Hogvillian
  • Just Chillin' Like A Villain
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 11:20:37 am »

I commened you on think Arkansas could pull in a coach like Billy.  Its no the 90's anymore we are not a high profile basketball school anymore

Doesn't matter. Give Billy the money at a P5 with our resources and he will get the players.

SemperHawg

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 11:27:49 am »

You obviously completely bypassed the title of this particular thread.

mhsbc59

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2018, 11:31:22 am »

You obviously completely bypassed the title of this particular thread.

That's not even possible in fantasy land.  All fantasy has to have a base in reality and nothing about Billy coming to Arkansas is realistic. 15 years ago a coach of his caliber yes today no.

sickboy

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2018, 12:15:27 pm »

UCLA.

Or UK and Cal tries NBA one more time.

Maybe they'll trade. Cal to Thunder. Donovan to UK.

But seriously, if I were Donovan, I wouldn't want to coach UK after Cal. I'd want to go do my own thing.

Hawg Red

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2018, 03:01:48 pm »

Billy still carrying that grudge over firing Pelphrey, too.

I could see him taking over at Duke if Coach K retires during or after next season.

HawgsPolo

• Varsity
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2018, 03:04:55 pm »

I choose not to fantasize about other men

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2018, 03:34:44 pm »

Billy still carrying that grudge over firing Pelphrey, too.

I could see him taking over at Duke if Coach K retires during or after next season.

Hoping to see Brad Stevens at Duke. Probably will go with someone from the Coach K tree first. 

Hawg Red

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2018, 05:15:59 pm »

Hoping to see Brad Stevens at Duke. Probably will go with someone from the Coach K tree first.

Sounds like a recipe for disappointment.

Hogwop

• You've raised my frosty dander!
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2018, 05:50:50 pm »

All fantasy has to have a base in reality

You clearly don't get this whole fantasy thing

rude1

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Razorback Basketball Another New Beginning....
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2018, 06:28:23 pm »

I think he would sit out a season, but that would certainly make several seats around college basketball coaches get considerably hotter with Donovan sitting on the sideline as a possible option as their replacement. There's a lot of programs who would gladly get rid of who they have for him.

Hawg Red

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2018, 07:30:43 pm »

I think he would sit out a season, but that would certainly make several seats around college basketball coaches get considerably hotter with Donovan sitting on the sideline as a possible option as their replacement. There's a lot of programs who would gladly get rid of who they have for him.

Yeah, he’d have no choice if he were let go after playoffs, but I do think that would set up him taking over for Coach K. None of his guys are really lighting the world on fire. They’re doing fine, but I don’t think they’ll be good enough to step into that shadow. I don’t think we’ll see Stevens leave the Celtics, either. I honestly believe he’ll be the next coach at Duke.

rude1

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2018, 07:32:42 pm »

Yeah, he’d have no choice if he were let go after playoffs, but I do think that would set up him taking over for Coach K. None of his guys are really lighting the world on fire. They’re doing fine, but I don’t think they’ll be good enough to step into that shadow. I don’t think we’ll see Stevens leave the Celtics, either. I honestly believe he’ll be the next coach at Duke.
I don't see any reason why Stevens leaves the Celtics any time soon.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2018, 07:47:16 pm »

Sounds like a recipe for disappointment.
I know.

k.c.hawg

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2018, 09:41:48 pm »

Bill Self bails on FBI investigation to go coach for his buddy in OKC and Billy Donovan has a late open seat to step into at Kansas.

HogBreath

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2018, 10:06:31 pm »

Yeah, getting Coach Donovan would be so awesome.

Slater

• Varsity
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2018, 10:22:29 pm »

The anti Mike crowd will be sad again next Spring, another NCAA bid, no sanctions, clean program that wins and builds quality young men.

hogwood

• Hogvillian
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2018, 10:34:33 pm »

The anti Mike crowd will be sad again next Spring, another NCAA bid, no sanctions, clean program that wins and builds quality young men.

This is all true..

Captain Morgan

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2018, 10:36:19 pm »

Yeah, getting Coach Donovan would be so awesome.

Pelphrey was a Donovan's adopted son, right?
Donovan probably has venom for Arkansas the way they treated his son

ADavisTheGOAT

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2018, 01:45:27 am »

There is absolutely no chance we make the NCAAT next year with the roster we have coming in.

husker71

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2018, 02:21:05 am »

The Alford/UCLA story is about to begin its final chapter.  UCLA was getting good to great recruits and now he fires his chief recruiter Dan Grace who is hired right away by California.  I was an Alford fan for years but now am starting to believe what was always said by some about his coaching abilities.  Even if the most unimaginable fantasies Donavon would never coach in Fayetteville.

hogwood

• Hogvillian
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2018, 08:12:46 am »

There is absolutely no chance we make the NCAAT next year with the roster we have coming in.

Absolutely no chance? I'll hold you to that.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2018, 08:27:49 am »

That's not even possible in fantasy land.  All fantasy has to have a base in reality and nothing about Billy coming to Arkansas is realistic. 15 years ago a coach of his caliber yes today no.

If you think that little of our athletic program then why are you here. I don’t think we’ve ever hired or will hire a coach you like. You would complain about flooding during a rain after 20 years of drought.

CiriusPorker

• It's not an "S".
    • flickR - My photography
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2018, 08:39:43 am »

since it's fantasy land, why stop at Billy Donovan.  Why not Coach K from Duke? Do you think he'd switch for say 50 million dollars?

LRhawg926

• Senior
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2018, 10:18:58 am »

I DO NOT WANT TO LIVE IN RAINBOW LAND!!!!! YOU CAN'T MAKE ME LIVE IN RAINBOW LAND!!!!!!! >:(

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2018, 10:42:31 am »

This is not fantasy.
Arkansas could attract Billy Donovan, if we had an opening.

I've made this same point several times before.
Billy D signed up to coach Durant/Westbrook, but now Durant is gone. That's NOT what he left Florida to do. He had a rare opportunity to coach 2 of the Top 10 players in the NBA today, and it was hard to pass up. But that's not what he's getting.
So there could very well be some disenchantment there.
I could easily see Billy landing at some college program again at some point to finish out his career.
It's the same scenario that Bobby Petrino was in. He signed up to coach Michael Vick, and we know how that ended. Vick arrested, Petrino gets very unhappy, starts looking around, and Arkansas lucked out. A very fortunate break for the Hogs because they happened to have an opening at the time.

Alabama hit a grand slam with a very similar lucky break. Nick Saban signed up thinking Drew Brees would be his QB. Instead, the Dolphins wouldn't take a risk on Brees's shoulder and got Daunte Culpepper at QB. Saban gets disenchanted and starts itching for the college game again. Alabama just happened to have an opening. Even though he said no several times, they kept after him and eventually got him. The rest is history. This was after Rich Rodriguez had actually turned them down.

It's funny how life sometimes just depends on timing and for lack of a better word, luck. We think of Alabama as this dynasty, but that's not where their program was in 2007. They were getting turned down and lucked into Nick Saban. Likewise, Arkansas lucked into Bobby Petrino. through a fortunate timing of events.

Hawg Red

« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2018, 10:47:21 am »

This is not fantasy.
Arkansas could attract Billy Donovan, if we had an opening.

Stop it.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2018, 10:53:17 am »

Stop it.
Ark basketball is much more likely to attract Billy Donovan as Ark football was to attract Bobby Petrino.
Don't sell the Hogs short. Especially Ark basketball. It's still considered one of the Top 2 or 3 jobs in the league. Ask a group of coaches and they'll tell you that.

The Pelphrey thing is a real point, though. Billy and John are tight, so Billy was miffed when John was let go. I don't think it would be a show stopper, but it would be a consideration. I think he got it 'payback' for John once by blitzing us pretty bad, so that's probably gone now. Non-issue.

I'm saying all this just to say I easily see Billy back in the college game at some point, and I would definitely think he would take a very hard look at Ark.....IF the timing was such that we had an opening combined with his looking around. The timing part is what makes it unlikely...not whether he would look at Ark or not.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2018, 02:18:38 pm »

Ark basketball is much more likely to attract Billy Donovan as Ark football was to attract Bobby Petrino.
Don't sell the Hogs short. Especially Ark basketball. It's still considered one of the Top 2 or 3 jobs in the league. Ask a group of coaches and they'll tell you that.

The Pelphrey thing is a real point, though. Billy and John are tight, so Billy was miffed when John was let go. I don't think it would be a show stopper, but it would be a consideration. I think he got it 'payback' for John once by blitzing us pretty bad, so that's probably gone now. Non-issue.

I'm saying all this just to say I easily see Billy back in the college game at some point, and I would definitely think he would take a very hard look at Ark.....IF the timing was such that we had an opening combined with his looking around. The timing part is what makes it unlikely...not whether he would look at Ark or not.

The people in charge when John was let go are no longer in charge.

outlawhogeywells

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2018, 04:12:04 pm »

Donovan liked Pelphrey so much he took him with him to OKC to coach the Thunder. 

azhog10

• Razorback Basketball on the rise!
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2018, 04:13:03 pm »

The Alford/UCLA story is about to begin its final chapter.  UCLA was getting good to great recruits and now he fires his chief recruiter Dan Grace who is hired right away by California.  I was an Alford fan for years but now am starting to believe what was always said by some about his coaching abilities.  Even if the most unimaginable fantasies Donavon would never coach in Fayetteville.
David Grace. Have had the chance to meet him out here. Top level recruiter.

From Tusk Till Dawn

• Senior
  • Facts are stubborn things...
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2018, 07:07:18 pm »

Stop it.
You dont really think with his resume that he needs a blue blood program?  All he needs is facilities and money, brand wont matter.  We have all 3.  Wherever he lands recruits will follow.  Depaul makes the tourney if he went there.

Hawg Red

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2018, 11:10:51 pm »

You dont really think with his resume that he needs a blue blood program?  All he needs is facilities and money, brand wont matter.  We have all 3.  Wherever he lands recruits will follow.  Depaul makes the tourney if he went there.

He will never coach for Arkansas after what he perceived they did to his close friend, John Pelphrey. This is no argument otherwise. What can Arkansas offer Billy Donovan that would be soooo good that he would do that to his friend? Answer is nothing. This is obvious.

Hawg Red

« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2018, 11:15:30 pm »

I do think it’s safe to say we’ve been marked off his list. We hired Chad Morris in football. Mike Anderson was the best we could do last time. This is a program that is likely unattractive to elite coaches and his a program that fired John Pelphrey before Billy Donovan felt they should. I just don’t see him returning that call, man.

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2018, 12:45:35 am »

Billy Donavon isn’t Razorback related so why is this here??

Hawg Red

« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2018, 08:23:48 am »

Billy Donavon isn’t Razorback related so why is this here??

Gonna have to come up off that in the offseason. It's late April. There's not much Razorback-related going on. Ease up.

mhsbc59

« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2018, 08:53:11 am »

If you think that little of our athletic program then why are you here. I don’t think we’ve ever hired or will hire a coach you like. You would complain about flooding during a rain after 20 years of drought.

Did i miss something did we hire Billy... NO i like Anderson, but we are not in a golden age of Arkansas basketball.  That age ended in 2001. That was 17 years ago NO kid playing basketball today has any living memory of Arkansas ever being anything but middle of the pack in a weak SEC. 

Second why you get so pissed about an opinion in what the OP could Fantasy land

Hoggish1

« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2018, 09:20:06 am »

Trade:  Mike for Billy straight up?

mhuff

« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2018, 11:19:38 am »

Time will tell. I don't share that view. Think we will be better than last year.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2018, 12:14:01 pm »

Did i miss something did we hire Billy... NO i like Anderson, but we are not in a golden age of Arkansas basketball.  That age ended in 2001. That was 17 years ago NO kid playing basketball today has any living memory of Arkansas ever being anything but middle of the pack in a weak SEC. 

Second why you get so pissed about an opinion in what the OP could Fantasy land

Because your posts read as if you think it is reality. You have no idea who we could or might try to hire and even if they would take the job or not.

mhsbc59

« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2018, 12:37:13 pm »

Because your posts read as if you think it is reality. You have no idea who we could or might try to hire and even if they would take the job or not.

No more than you know that they will or wont. The OP wanted to know if we thought we could, I DONT! You just still hold a grudge with me over CCM.  Like Elsa said man let it go, but i am very happy to be the thorn in your side if need be.   ;)

USChog

« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2018, 11:37:04 am »

Lol Brad Stevens is killing it in the NBA. His two star players are out and they are still winning. That dude isn't going back to college.

k.c.hawg

« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2018, 04:41:26 pm »

Donavon back at OKC next year.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2018, 05:11:52 pm »

Lol Brad Stevens is killing it in the NBA. His two star players are out and they are still winning. That dude isn't going back to college.

Lol I don’t think you understand the concept of this particular thread. fantasyland

Sure Stevens is doing great now.  He’s young and the Celtics won’t be his last job.  So down the road after Collins or Hurley we’ll see what the situation is.

LRHawg

• This too shall pass
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2018, 06:29:00 pm »

Can someone explain how the U of A wronged Pelphrey?

rude1

« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2018, 07:46:54 pm »

Can someone explain how the U of A wronged Pelphrey?
Whacked him whilst he was lying down to have his good warrior bleed, ready to get up and lead us to the promised land.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas