• 10,015,799 Posts
• 401,468 Topics
• 22,976 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Title IX, Fancy sports stadiums, and other things wrong with athletics  (Read 3402 times)

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
Re: Title IX, Fancy sports stadiums, and other things wrong with athletics
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2018, 09:34:58 pm »

Bull.

Maybe not depending on where he lives.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2018, 09:42:28 pm »

Yes there is a legitimate reason, discontinue menís sports and womenís sports would not exists as a scholarship sport, no fancy stadiums or fields.  Knowing this the problem isnít that we donít want womenís sports or that we donít support them the problem is that some truly believe there should be total equality.  Itís not equality when you are riding the backs of the money making sports, which happen to be ALL male.

Discontinue football and maybe some menís sports disappear as well. Some male sports depends on the big money makers just like the womenís sports do.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Cinco de Hogo

« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2018, 09:53:13 pm »

Discontinue football and maybe some menís sports disappear as well. Some male sports depends on the big money makers just like the womenís sports do.

Then you should look at those sports as the equality sports not ALL sports maybe.

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2018, 02:22:12 am »

Guv said that the "University has to give all female scholarship athletes full rides", I posted a link that shows several women's sports are equivalency sports. They split up there scholarships just like several men's sports do. I fail to see the ignorance in pointing out that fact. 
That's exactly right, including my D1 athlete daughter that has a partial scholarship. Guv is wrong on the facts.

arkirish

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2018, 04:56:50 am »

I love these forums, I can always count on a least 1 poster stating the stupidest things.  If you think XNA's rates are competitive than please let me sell you anything, a car, and house.. anything.  You are the perfect consumer. lol 

XNA is the most expensive airport in the US, their prices for many flights are an absolute joke.  They get away with this robbery because of all the vendors flying in for Walmart, the vendors could care less how expensive the tickets are because of the amount of money that is on the table for them.  I fly a lot and I can tell you their prices can easily be over 5x other airports.  Flight to Chicago can easily be a $1000 while my colleague coming from Dallas (further away) will pay $150.  To the major cities you can easily pay a thousand unless you are flying at weird hours... and yes, that's booking weeks in advance.

There is a saying in the area, if you are expensing a trip then fly XNA, if you are flying on your own dime drive to Tulsa, Little Rock and KC.. it will save you a ton of money.

Coming from someone who works at XNA, I can tell you that there is not a more expensive airport to fly out of. I've driven to Tulsa or KC a majority of my flights.

jjdlc

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2018, 06:34:02 am »

A guy I know who worked in athletics at a certain university (not Arkansas) told me this story several years ago. The athletic department decided to add a women's bowling team. I think he said they were giving out five scholarships. The problem was they could not find five bowlers who were interested. So they had to advertise. Answer an ad, prove you can bowl and you've got a scholarship.

I can name another local university that did much the same thing a few years ago.  They were starting up a women's cross country team in order to meet title IX regulations.  They ended up sending out emails to all students practically begging them to try out.  It was so bad the emails practically read "Free scholarship if you'll just be on the team, we won't even make you run."
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 07:18:53 am by jjdlc »

popcornhog

« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2018, 07:08:25 am »

Unless your flying Southwest........

Which Iíd rather not do.

popcornhog

« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2018, 07:12:46 am »

I'm not sure where you're flying but Tulsa is almost always about half the price of XNA. It's ridiculous.

When I was in college, I always checked LIT and TUL and would rarely get enough of a better price to justify driving to Tulsa or Little Rock. I think I got enough a better price out of Little Rock once and Tulsa zero times. This would have been the early to mid 2000ís though ó I have not lived in NWA since then and have only flown in and out of XNA 4-5 times in the last 10-12 years.

justmakeit2thebcs

« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2018, 08:44:36 am »

They can't offer full scholarships to any male athletes but football and basketball players. To do so would violate Title IX. Van Horn has been a huge proponent of making changes to Title IX to allow the University to give full ride scholarships in all sports. The only reason they give partial scholarships in some men's sports rather than full rides is because their hands are tied by Title IX.
Title IX
https://www.airfarewatchdog.com/cheap-flights/from-Bentonville-Arkansas/XNA/
Don't be giving facts, some of these boys are upset XNA exists.  As for WalMart's personal airport, they have a fleet of 30 or so jets that base out of the Rogers Municipal airport, not XNA.

all that said we are the most expensive airport in the counrty, but it's driven by supply and demand.   Gates fees are higher for the airlines, but thats not the majority of the problem.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 09:06:07 am by justmakeit2thebcs »

Malvin

« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2018, 10:47:12 am »

https://www.airfarewatchdog.com/cheap-flights/from-Bentonville-Arkansas/XNA/

I also love when people post a link like this.. these cheap flight links are like a Millennial's dream, they tout how cheap xna is with these flights and think they are getting a deal.  But like a true Millennial the level of ignorance is astounding.  First off click on the link and actually research the ticket.. yes they are cheap, but in many cases you are flying all day with multi stops.  The airlines are offering this to you cheap because you are on flights that people don't normally fly, and they don't fly them for a reason. 

If you have no responsibilities and unlimited time then yes, you can get a deal.  If you don't mind spending 9 hours in the air to get to LAX, another 3 hours in and out of the airport then yes it's a great deal!  But guess what, you just lost a day and now you are having to pay for a hotel room that night, and extra day for you car that you wouldn't have to pay for if you got in at a reasonable time.

Any airport can figure out a way to get you cheap deals.. using this strategy you can get tickets for like $75 at other airports.. again XNA comes in last.

And why do we care?  For business travel it's not a huge deal.. until your company identifies that the cost of travel from NW Arkansas is 4 to 5x any other city.. that starts to put your job at risk if you aren't tied to Walmart.  For personal travel it's huge.. if you have a family you can save a couple grand by driving to another city.  It's a bit insane.

Now I get supply and demand, and I would expect this airport to be on average more expense.. but 5x ticket prices?  That's just price gouging.

steveaustin69

« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2018, 10:51:38 am »

I also love when people post a link like this.. these cheap flight links are like a Millennial's dream, they tout how cheap xna is with these flights and think they are getting a deal.  But like a true Millennial the level of ignorance is astounding. First off click on the link and actually research the ticket.. yes they are cheap, but in many cases you are flying all day with multi stops.  The airlines are offering this to you cheap because you are on flights that people don't normally fly, and they don't fly them for a reason. 

If you have no responsibilities and unlimited time then yes, you can get a deal.  If you don't mind spending 9 hours in the air to get to LAX, another 3 hours in and out of the airport then yes it's a great deal!  But guess what, you just lost a day and now you are having to pay for a hotel room that night, and extra day for you car that you wouldn't have to pay for if you got in at a reasonable time.

Any airport can figure out a way to get you cheap deals.. using this strategy you can get tickets for like $75 at other airports.. again XNA comes in last.

And why do we care?  For business travel it's not a huge deal.. until your company identifies that the cost of travel from NW Arkansas is 4 to 5x any other city.. that starts to put your job at risk if you aren't tied to Walmart.  For personal travel it's huge.. if you have a family you can save a couple grand by driving to another city.  It's a bit insane.

Now I get supply and demand, and I would expect this airport to be on average more expense.. but 5x ticket prices?  That's just price gouging.

Pretty sure rice is retired and not a millennial. Keep making sweeping statements over the intelligence level of an entire generation; it only shows your own intelligence, Melvin.

rljjr

« Reply #61 on: April 24, 2018, 10:53:40 am »

Then why is it that Football scholarship players and men's basketball scholarship players are the only male scholarship athletes to get full rides while ALL of the women scholarship athletes get full rides in EVERY female sport?? That is just WRONG.

This isn't factual. Not all women get full rides.

steveaustin69

« Reply #62 on: April 24, 2018, 10:54:35 am »

This isn't factual. Not all women get full rides.

It's Guvfactual  ;)

rljjr

« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2018, 11:02:55 am »

I love these forums, I can always count on a least 1 poster stating the stupidest things.  If you think XNA's rates are competitive than please let me sell you anything, a car, and house.. anything.  You are the perfect consumer. lol 

XNA is the most expensive airport in the US, their prices for many flights are an absolute joke.  They get away with this robbery because of all the vendors flying in for Walmart, the vendors could care less how expensive the tickets are because of the amount of money that is on the table for them.  I fly a lot and I can tell you their prices can easily be over 5x other airports.  Flight to Chicago can easily be a $1000 while my colleague coming from Dallas (further away) will pay $150.  To the major cities you can easily pay a thousand unless you are flying at weird hours... and yes, that's booking weeks in advance.

There is a saying in the area, if you are expensing a trip then fly XNA, if you are flying on your own dime drive to Tulsa, Little Rock and KC.. it will save you a ton of money.

I fly Southwest to Dallas, rent a car and drive to Fay. It's cheaper, even with a car rental, than flying into XNA on another airline. Someday I hope SW will fly into XNA at a reasonable price, but XNA will probably never make it financially feasible for them. TUL and LIT are also ridiculously expensive for SW, but on occasion I can find good deals.

ricepig

« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2018, 12:26:22 pm »

Pretty sure rice is retired and not a millennial. Keep making sweeping statements over the intelligence level of an entire generation; it only shows your own intelligence, Melvin.

That, and I have my own jet, although just a turboprop jet, so I don't care about his wait, or fares. I just pointed out that all fares out of XNA weren't $1000.

Malvin

« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2018, 02:58:07 pm »

He proved my point above, he has his own Jet therefore he is just posting a link trying to show that XNA is cheap.  Millennials are the ones that actually use those fares, the rest of us they don't work.  It's not a sweeping statement because I have to deal with a lot of Millennials at work and guess what.. they pass that link around like they hit the powerball.  It's actually quite hilarious.

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2018, 02:58:58 pm »

We would not have much in the way of Ladies College Sports without Title 9.

steveaustin69

« Reply #67 on: April 24, 2018, 03:09:17 pm »

He proved my point above, he has his own Jet therefore he is just posting a link trying to show that XNA is cheap.  Millennials are the ones that actually use those fares, the rest of us they don't work.  It's not a sweeping statement because I have to deal with a lot of Millennials at work and guess what.. they pass that link around like they hit the powerball.  It's actually quite hilarious.

What basis do you have for stating only people aged 18-36 used "those fares"? Do you realize how stupid what you are saying is? It is so because you work with a handful of 18-36 year olds? What a moronic world view.

RyanMallettsEgo

• Take it easy, I'm pre-law.
« Reply #68 on: April 24, 2018, 03:27:15 pm »

So do you enlighten them and offer advice or are you an old curmudgeon who posts about it on a message board?

ricepig

« Reply #69 on: April 24, 2018, 03:34:26 pm »

So do you enlighten them and offer advice or are you an old curmudgeon who posts about it on a message board?

He can't enlighten them, because he would have noticed that several flights are non-stop, if you "continue clicking" The point was that while prices aren't the cheapest by any means, they aren't all $1000. Hopefully they'll continue to work lower.

RyanMallettsEgo

« Reply #70 on: April 24, 2018, 03:44:34 pm »

He can't enlighten them, because he would have noticed that several flights are non-stop, if you "continue clicking" The point was that while prices aren't the cheapest by any means, they aren't all $1000. Hopefully they'll continue to work lower.

Oh I know. I was just interested in his response, and what he would've said to enlighten them. Would've been fun to see.

Hell, if Melvin REALLY wanted to do it the right way, he should just buy his own jet  ;)

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #71 on: April 24, 2018, 04:06:32 pm »

It will always be expensive as long as carriers continue to use Regional Jets that have a "smallish" number of seats and demand is high for the "smallish" number of seats.  They are even using those RJs where a larger aircraft could be used.

I really wish Boeing would bring back the 757.  Believe it or not, it takes less runway for a 757 to operate than the amount of runway that is needed for a 737 to operate.

I would also like to see the government give incentives to the main carriers to only use Boeing planes, and to kick Airbus out the U.S.  Our main commercial system should be only Boeing aircraft, with the only exceptions of where there are shorter runways that would require the Bombardier CRJ or the Embraer RJ.

I would like to see our main commercial system just be the following.

PorkSoda

« Reply #72 on: April 24, 2018, 05:59:04 pm »

"Equality" isn't equal if you must cut one to add the other.
you you have to do that, then it wasn't equal in the first place. 

seems your issue is with merriam webster

Malvin

« Reply #73 on: April 24, 2018, 09:27:38 pm »

Oh I know. I was just interested in his response, and what he would've said to enlighten them. Would've been fun to see.

Hell, if Melvin REALLY wanted to do it the right way, he should just buy his own jet  ;)

I wouldn't have any problem enlightening them IF they would listen, have you ever tried to give advice to one?  Good luck with that, they have a us against the world mentality that partly is due to their belief that everything should be given to them.  When they grew up and realized that's not how the world works they have as a generation struggled.  There is a positive in this, the next generation that is in high-school now and just getting into college isn't plagued with the same 'burden' that the Millennials were.  Can't wait until they get out of college and displace the work force.

steveaustin69

« Reply #74 on: April 24, 2018, 09:30:41 pm »

I wouldn't have any problem enlightening them IF they would listen, have you ever tried to give advice to one?  Good luck with that, they have a us against the world mentality that partly is due to their belief that everything should be given to them.  When they grew up and realized that's not how the world works they have as a generation struggled.  There is a positive in this, the next generation that is in high-school now and just getting into college isn't plagued with the same 'burden' that the Millennials were.  Can't wait until they get out of college and displace the work force.

Melvin, might I ask what it is you do that you have gained such a vast wealth of knowledge and experience?

ricepig

« Reply #75 on: April 24, 2018, 09:47:40 pm »

Hmm.......as the father of a millennial and one in high school now, I'd say your take on them is ass backwards, my youngest expects everything to be given to him, lol.

RyanMallettsEgo

« Reply #76 on: April 24, 2018, 10:15:49 pm »

You've got a sad and misguided worldview. I hope you don't have a kid that's a "millennial."

steveaustin69

« Reply #77 on: April 24, 2018, 10:19:31 pm »

You've got a sad and misguided worldview. I hope you don't have a kid that's a "millennial."

I don't have kids

RyanMallettsEgo

« Reply #78 on: April 24, 2018, 10:23:38 pm »

^^^^^^

Makes a ton more sense.

Dark Helmet Hog

• Now let's see how well you handle it...
« Reply #79 on: April 24, 2018, 10:28:48 pm »

When I was in college, I always checked LIT and TUL and would rarely get enough of a better price to justify driving to Tulsa or Little Rock. I think I got enough a better price out of Little Rock once and Tulsa zero times. This would have been the early to mid 2000ís though ó I have not lived in NWA since then and have only flown in and out of XNA 4-5 times in the last 10-12 years.

I fly to Denver, Columbus and Knoxville on a regular basis. Depending on the timing, Tulsa is usually close to half the price. Sometimes the difference is just a couple hundred and I'll stick with XNA. That does not happen often. I also have to use my company's flight booker which can make a difference.

oldhawg

« Reply #80 on: April 25, 2018, 10:38:08 am »

That proving ground for professional sports is for a VERY small percentage of athletes and most athletes know it.

What you say is true.  However, how many do you suppose never make the pros, but still harbor thoughts of using there college career to be noticed and at least have a chance to try out for the "Big Leagues."  I would bet that number is much higher, and that many do in fact view their opportunity to play college ball (Division 1) as a chance to showcase their talents, with hopes of earning a try-out with a professional team.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #81 on: April 25, 2018, 10:44:38 am »

What you say is true.  However, how many do you suppose never make the pros, but still harbor thoughts of using there college career to be noticed and at least have a chance to try out for the "Big Leagues."  I would bet that number is much higher, and that many do in fact view their opportunity to play college ball (Division 1) as a chance to showcase their talents, with hopes of earning a try-out with a professional team.

True. Iíve known some of them that played for the Hogs with that thought in mind.

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #82 on: April 25, 2018, 11:47:12 am »

oh, christ. Advice from the generation that left the world polluted , 20 years of stagnant wages, and a country in 21 trillion debt? Not likely.

Hoggish1

« Reply #83 on: April 25, 2018, 12:25:56 pm »

Fancy sports stadiums are a rip off...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F2Ra9FYYbw

Right on!

Cities should give owners the finger and tell them to leave if they don't want to actually use private enterprise to further their own goals in fostering their own businesses and their own bottom lines.

But that's professional sports.

Big time college sports programs are creeping into the professional racket of shaking down the public in their prospective states and they should not be allowed to move any further with these scams. 

The goal should be to allow as many people into the stadium as possible to cheer for their teamóat a reasonable price and give them concessions and parking at a reasonable price so more money is spent in the venue and towns where these events are taking place.

Yes, colleges will build sky boxes for the high roller/wine and cheese folks but these should be in areas that don't preclude seating for hard core fans.

Otherwise we further become a society that doesn't participate in live events, which is not a good thing.

Hoggish1

« Reply #84 on: April 25, 2018, 12:31:05 pm »

John Stossel is the same idiot that back in his ABC 20/20 days that did an expose on XNA.  He called it a boongoggle, railroaded throught the gov't by Wal Mart and Tyson.  He said Tyson intended to fly chicken to Japan and Wal Mart planned on flying electronics back, and the airport was just for them.  Well, XNA went on to become one of the most sucessful new airport if not the most succestful airport built in the last 40 years with the need to expand multiple time in the firs 20 years of existence.   

Moral of the story?  Don't listen to idiots, especially if it's what you want to hear. 

Stop shilling for big business.  Big business and large corporations don't need boot straps or handouts.  Neither do millionaires and the mega wealthy need tax cuts.

I doubt you've met a billionaire who needed a helping had from the public; I certainly haven't.

Hoggish1

« Reply #85 on: April 25, 2018, 12:40:07 pm »

I'm not sure where you're flying but Tulsa is almost always about half the price of XNA. It's ridiculous.

Yes that is correct, but a guess this fact is irrelevant for some posters.

Tyro3

• Senior
« Reply #86 on: April 25, 2018, 04:24:37 pm »

Yes that is correct, but a guess this fact is irrelevant for some posters.

Just checked a round trip to DFW and from Tulsa it is about four times cheaper than XNA

majestic

« Reply #87 on: April 25, 2018, 04:30:31 pm »

Nonstop, roundtrip from XNA to DFW on 5/22, returning on 5/25 = $327

Same flight from Tulsa is $241.

I'll save the 3.5 hours of driving and spend the additional $86 every single time.

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Crazy Times Make Crazy people Crazier!!!!
« Reply #88 on: April 25, 2018, 05:11:40 pm »

oh, christ. Advice from the generation that left the world polluted , 20 years of stagnant wages, and a country in 21 trillion debt? Not likely.

Still Better than the generation that eats Tide pods and shoves Condoms up their nose. Just sayin

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #89 on: April 26, 2018, 06:53:22 am »

Still Better than the generation that eats Tide pods and shoves Condoms up their nose. Just sayin

And thinks they are talking to a real person when they talk to Siri................

Ex-Trumpet

• Gold Hogvillian
  • When life gives you lemons, get a boob job!
« Reply #90 on: April 26, 2018, 08:42:53 am »

you you have to do that, then it wasn't equal in the first place. 

seems your issue is with merriam webster

Merriam is a chick name.

Malvin

« Reply #91 on: April 27, 2018, 07:17:32 pm »

I don't, which gives me a non biased objective view on generations in the workforce.  I've been recruiting out of college for over 20 years and hiring all ages which gives me extension experience dealing with Baby Boomers, X & Millennials and while each generation has their unique differences I can tell you without a doubt that dealing with Millennials and their view of the world is.. let's say one of the more entertaining things I have to deal with.

• Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!
« Reply #92 on: April 28, 2018, 03:36:26 am »

How did title IX turn into airline talk?

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #93 on: April 28, 2018, 12:16:40 pm »

How did title IX turn into airline talk?

Not enough women pilots maybe?

Cinco de Hogo

« Reply #94 on: April 28, 2018, 01:27:39 pm »

Not enough women pilots maybe?

Thatís right and it 30,000 feet they can still have a baby better than a man!

What! whoís flying the plane?

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose

I drive to Orlando/SFA to fly back to Arkansas, there are no direct flights from Tampa or St. Pete. Allegiant has direct flights from SFA to LIT and XNA. The round trip for both is rarely over $250.00. The two hour drive to Orlando is a bit of a drag, but it beats spending an extra couple hundred and still having to swap planes in Atlanta or Dallas.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas