• 9,923,549 Posts
• 399,169 Topics
• 22,881 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Top 5 Arkansas football head coaches...  (Read 4462 times)

PygmalionEffect2

Re: Top 5 Arkansas football head coaches...
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2018, 06:19:36 pm »

1. Broyles
2. Holtz
3. Hatfield
4. Petrino
5. Nutt

Last. Bielema

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hmm, halftme, today I'll have grape PB&J sammiches
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2018, 07:36:45 pm »

1. Broyles
2. Holtz
3. Hatfield
4. Petrino
5. Nutt

Last. Bielema
you mean ol' 5 bills in last place, right ?  that guy set the record for weight gained in 3 years....he was here 5 but it didn't take but 3 to hit a half a thousand on the scales

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Dominicanhog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2018, 05:42:12 am »

Broyles
Petrino
Hatfield
Holtz
Nutt

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2018, 09:46:31 am »

Chad Morris reminds me of Houston Nutt.
They're both energetic guys, talks a lot, has that twang in their voice.

I actually see Morris replicating Nutt's record here too, if he's here 10 years.
Nutt was 75-48 overall and 42-38 in the SEC over 10 years.
That doesn't look great at first glance, until you consider the hyper-competitiveness of this league. Going 42-38 means you're averaging about 4-4 in the SEC West every year for 10 years. It looks better when you think about it that way. CBB had a 0-8 and 1-7 year....those will bring the averages down fast. Nutt had a 2-6 year but also a 7-1 year.

Anyway, for Chad, I'm not sure if I would take the OVER or UNDER on that one right now.
Right now I see definitely better than Bielema, not as good as Petrino, the question is will he be better or worse than Nutt.

Steef

• Idylically living in the Valley of the Cats
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2018, 09:58:43 am »

I wish you guys would reconsider your fondness for Nutt.

Just like his years at Ole Miss, he inherited good recruiting from his predecessor.  Won some games until his own recruiting caught up with him. Then Matt Jones fell in his lap. Won a few games. Then DMAC fell in his lap...along with the Springdale talent.

Instead of being an adult-building coach, he was petty and mean to those he didnt like. He took our money and laughed at us when he beat his Arkansas recruits with Orgerons Rebel recruits. And his family literally spit on our field.

So when you look at his "winning percentage" you might want to factor that in before you put him on OUR "best" list.

If he's our best, we truly are screwed.

No, I dont think I want to forget.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2018, 10:06:20 am »

Just like his years at Ole Miss, he inherited good recruiting from his predecessor.  Won some games until his own recruiting caught up with him. Then Matt Jones fell in his lap. Won a few games. Then DMAC fell in his lap...along with the Springdale talent.

Instead of being an adult-building coach, he was petty and mean to those he didnt like. He took our money and laughed at us when he beat his Arkansas recruits with Orgerons Rebel recruits. And his family literally spit on our field.

So when you look at his "winning percentage" you might want to factor that in before you put him on OUR "best" list.

Ok, so you don't like him. Fair enough.
But you can take that 'good players fell in his lap' and apply that to anybody. Did Adrian Peterson fall in Bob Stoops' lap?
People dogging Petrino used same tactic---Mallett, Wright, Joe Adams, Gragg...all those guys happened to come along and he luckily benefitted from it.

It's a tired argument. Coaches benefit from great players all the time.

Besides, Nutt's best year was 2006---that was far removed from the players 'inherited' from Danny Ford. (Ford wasn't doing anything with those same players by the way)

The record shows Nutt was a solid coach. I don't get into all the soap opera stuff, we can have our own opinions on that.
I still can't decide if Chad will exceed what he did here.

I assume you're saying that he will definitely exceed those numbers, right?

Steef

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2018, 11:06:12 am »

Ok, so you don't like him. Fair enough.
But you can take that 'good players fell in his lap' and apply that to anybody. Did Adrian Peterson fall in Bob Stoops' lap?
People dogging Petrino used same tactic---Mallett, Wright, Joe Adams, Gragg...all those guys happened to come along and he luckily benefitted from it.

It's a tired argument. Coaches benefit from great players all the time.

Besides, Nutt's best year was 2006---that was far removed from the players 'inherited' from Danny Ford. (Ford wasn't doing anything with those same players by the way)

The record shows Nutt was a solid coach. I don't get into all the soap opera stuff, we can have our own opinions on that.
I still can't decide if Chad will exceed what he did here.

I assume you're saying that he will definitely exceed those numbers, right?

Stoops consistently recruits well, to surround a franchise player with team support.

2006 had DMAC.

We have no idea about Morris. But this thread is about the past, not the future.

Nutt hurt us as much as he helped us.

If he's so solid, how come he couldnt get a job after Oxford?

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2018, 11:13:52 am »

Nutt was not a solid coach.  Revisionist history to say so.  A lot of time has passed and some of us just don't have it in us anymore to remind the rest of the details of Nutt era ON THE FIELD.  Should have been encouraged to leave at the least after 2003. 

Shorttimer

« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2018, 11:22:31 am »

Nutt was not a solid coach.  Revisionist history to say so.  A lot of time has passed and some of us just don't have it in us anymore to remind the rest of the details of Nutt era ON THE FIELD.  Should have been encouraged to leave at the least after 2003. 
I'll never forget 0 for October in 2003.  Ever.  He should have been fired just for that.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2018, 11:23:05 am »

Chad Morris reminds me of Houston Nutt.
They're both energetic guys, talks a lot, has that twang in their voice.

I actually see Morris replicating Nutt's record here too, if he's here 10 years.
Nutt was 75-48 overall and 42-38 in the SEC over 10 years.
That doesn't look great at first glance, until you consider the hyper-competitiveness of this league. Going 42-38 means you're averaging about 4-4 in the SEC West every year for 10 years. It looks better when you think about it that way. CBB had a 0-8 and 1-7 year....those will bring the averages down fast. Nutt had a 2-6 year but also a 7-1 year.

Anyway, for Chad, I'm not sure if I would take the OVER or UNDER on that one right now.
Right now I see definitely better than Bielema, not as good as Petrino, the question is will he be better or worse than Nutt.

The SEC is much better now than the Nutt era.  Yes, we are around an 8 win a year program so that should be the expectation of a coach over the long term.  I hope Morris isn't Nutt.  Petrino avg 8.5 wins a season but there is a gap between him and Nutt in coaching ability. 

As far as the topic of the thread:

1. Broyles

I can't do a list beyond him.
Petrino the best X's and O's coach.  Crap leader and teams too often unprepared and had to scramble to beat inferior opponents or try to come back after bad starts.
Holtz best combo of X's and O's and motivation.  Allowed the Arkansas program to decline under his watch while he lost focus.
Hatfield has an impressive record.  Just don't look below the surface of the numbers and ignore his scorched earth exit where he left of us void of speed and talent to the point the WAC-like SWC embarrassed us on our way out and it took us years to recover.
I can't even get to a fifth. 
A thanks should be given to Ford for building SEC-level talent and finally giving us a competitive foundation.  Can't put him near a list for just his time at Arkansas though. 

I'm sure some of the pre-Broyles coaches were solid for their era.  No idea how to evaluate them. 

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2018, 11:29:46 am »

Enough talk. Go on the record.

Will Chad Morris surpass Houston Nutt in coaching accomplishments at Arkansas? Yes or no.

I lean towards no, but I will give him benefit of doubt and say 'push'.

I hope, but honestly don't see 'exceed' at this point.

Steef

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #61 on: April 24, 2018, 11:45:50 am »

Will Chad Morris surpass Houston Nutt in coaching accomplishments at Arkansas? Yes or no.

You're entitled to your opinion.

But once again, Morris isnt the topic of this thread.

zeke_in_kc

« Reply #62 on: April 24, 2018, 11:49:26 am »

Will Chad Morris surpass Houston Nutt in coaching accomplishments at Arkansas?...

No.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2018, 11:55:19 am »

No idea what Morris will do.  The conference is much deeper now.  His offense isn't new or innovative to what is being done in college football now.  Our recruiting base isn't nearly as deep in talent as what he had as OC at Clemson.  We of course don't outrecruit much of our conference as Clemson does.  I think part of it will depend on if he can find qb's to fit well into what he wants to do and how quickly he finds them.  Maybe Noland.  And how his offense affects our defense when we already struggle most seasons to put out a competitively average SEC defense and struggle recruiting defensive depth.  Not negative to Morris.  Just blah.  We'll see.  He does seem to have a little of that Nutt used carsalesman in him but also much more organized and rigid.  Maybe we'll get the motivator Nutt was but with the organization and planning it takes to be consistently successful. 

Nutt went 9-3 in his first season.  The records of the other SECW teams:
MSU 8-5
Bama 7-5
OM 7-5
LSU 4-7
AU 3-8

This is not the level of SECW Morris will face in his early seasons.  So I have no idea if he will exceed Nutt or not.  But Nutt shouldn't be our standard either.

In Nutt's 3rd - 8th seasons, he avg 6.5 wins a season with an SEC record of 21-27.  Then Malzahn, the backfield and 2 high NFL draft picks on defense got him a no asterisk SECW championship and his best season.  So sure, Morris may have things come together for him too at some point if he can stick around long enough. 

younghog

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Keep em coming
« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2018, 12:33:45 pm »

1. Broyles
2. Petrino
3. Hatfield
4. Holtz
5. Nutt

end of thread

YEP.. I probably would swap Holtz and NUTT

GO HOGS

DLUXHOG

• It'll feel better when it quits hurtin'
« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2018, 02:20:33 pm »

1. Broyles
2. Holtz
3. Hatfield
4. Petrino
5. Nutt

Last. Bielema

I like your list except that Hugo should be in there in lieu of Nutt.....

hawganatic

• Senior
« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2018, 03:05:45 pm »

YEP.. I probably would swap Holtz and NUTT

GO HOGS

You seriously think Nutt was a better coach than Holtz?

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #67 on: April 26, 2018, 09:02:58 pm »

No idea what Morris will do.  The conference is much deeper now.  His offense isn't new or innovative to what is being done in college football now.  Our recruiting base isn't nearly as deep in talent as what he had as OC at Clemson.  We of course don't outrecruit much of our conference as Clemson does.  I think part of it will depend on if he can find qb's to fit well into what he wants to do and how quickly he finds them.  Maybe Noland.  And how his offense affects our defense when we already struggle most seasons to put out a competitively average SEC defense and struggle recruiting defensive depth.  Not negative to Morris.  Just blah.  We'll see.  He does seem to have a little of that Nutt used carsalesman in him but also much more organized and rigid.  Maybe we'll get the motivator Nutt was but with the organization and planning it takes to be consistently successful. 

Nutt went 9-3 in his first season.  The records of the other SECW teams:
MSU 8-5
Bama 7-5
OM 7-5
LSU 4-7
AU 3-8

This is not the level of SECW Morris will face in his early seasons.  So I have no idea if he will exceed Nutt or not.  But Nutt shouldn't be our standard either.

In Nutt's 3rd - 8th seasons, he avg 6.5 wins a season with an SEC record of 21-27.  Then Malzahn, the backfield and 2 high NFL draft picks on defense got him a no asterisk SECW championship and his best season.  So sure, Morris may have things come together for him too at some point if he can stick around long enough.
that 9-3 in Nutt's opening season was at one time 8-0 with less than 2 minutes about to run out the clock at Knoxville with the Hogs up by 3....and then the "stumble and fumble"  anyway, that team was all Danny Ford's recruits....Nutt did nothing with that team except mismanage them...that team was good enough to win a Natty, should have won a Natty but alas, the Monkey With A Whistle's Natty is STILL under construction

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #68 on: April 27, 2018, 12:19:31 pm »

that 9-3 in Nutt's opening season was at one time 8-0 with less than 2 minutes about to run out the clock at Knoxville with the Hogs up by 3....and then the "stumble and fumble"  anyway, that team was all Danny Ford's recruits....Nutt did nothing with that team except mismanage them...that team was good enough to win a Natty, should have won a Natty but alas, the Monkey With A Whistle's Natty is STILL under construction
Hilarious.

The previous year the team went 4-7, and yet somehow we were good enough to win a national championship the very next year, and just totally blew it.

So why weren't we even in the ballpark of a national championship the previous year....if we were really that good?

WeHogs

• Band Nerd
« Reply #69 on: April 27, 2018, 12:26:46 pm »

HDN has 2 SEC championship game appearances and was the last coach to be in one. Like him or not (personally I think it's silly how much posters on hogville hate him) he was a good coach. Also, he averaged 1 less win than Petrino during the 11 game seasons and Petrino coached during the 12 game seasons. He also coached us to some upsets. I am trying to recall if Petrino ever beat someone that was favored over him and cannot.

Trying to act like HDN was anywhere close to the coach Petrino was/is is well just stupid. Nutt can’t even get a position coach job. Petrino has never had a problem getting a job even after everything he has done. Also the SEC West was garbage when Nutt was here

I don’t believe we were favored in year 1 when we beat LSU or when we beat auburn or when we beat USCje in the road

hog.goblin

• It's not revenge he's after. It's a reckoning.
« Reply #70 on: April 27, 2018, 12:27:36 pm »

Broyles
Holtz
Petrino
Hatfield
Nutt

Top 5 Razorback Coaches
Jimmy Johnson
Joe Gibbs
Barry Switzer
Frank Broyles
Lou Holtz (Unless you count GA's then Pete Carroll)

truth

I can't stand Nutt.  But he was our 5th best head coach if you look at on the field performance.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #71 on: April 27, 2018, 12:33:28 pm »

Trying to act like HDN was anywhere close to the coach Petrino was/is is well just stupid. Nutt can’t even get a position coach job. Petrino has never had a problem getting a job even after everything he has done. Also the SEC West was garbage when Nutt was here

I don’t believe we were favored in year 1 when we beat LSU or when we beat auburn or when we beat USCje in the road
I would also rate Petrino over Nutt.
But Nutt did a nice job here. I knew when he left with each passing year that goes by his tenure would be viewed more favorably by 'some'. I thought it was pretty good all along.
Disagree with the last part. Really? The SEC was 'garbage'? Ok. whatever. The SEC has always been tough.
Nick Saban was winning national championships at LSU back in those years, so he was around. Auburn went 13-0 in 2004.
Yep...the SEC really hasn't changed much at all from 1992-2017. Except there was a time when the East dominated the West, now it's flip-flopped.

WeHogs

• Band Nerd
« Reply #72 on: April 27, 2018, 01:57:39 pm »

I would also rate Petrino over Nutt.
But Nutt did a nice job here. I knew when he left with each passing year that goes by his tenure would be viewed more favorably by 'some'. I thought it was pretty good all along.
Disagree with the last part. Really? The SEC was 'garbage'? Ok. whatever. The SEC has always been tough.
Nick Saban was winning national championships at LSU back in those years, so he was around. Auburn went 13-0 in 2004.
Yep...the SEC really hasn't changed much at all from 1992-2017. Except there was a time when the East dominated the West, now it's flip-flopped.

The SEC West would have two teams ending the year ranked in the top 25 back then.  When Petrino was here and now there are two in the top 10.  Saban won a National Championship (not championshipS).

The SEC East was the strong part of the SEC back then yes.  We play in the SEC West.  Our cross divisional opponent was always USCjr who was terrible until Spurrier arrived.

We went to the SEC championship one year only because Bama was on probation. 

If Nutt was even a decent coach he would have already gotten a job somewhere.  He couldn't even get the ASU job when he tried.  Dude is bad. 

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #73 on: April 27, 2018, 02:20:31 pm »

The SEC West would have two teams ending the year ranked in the top 25 back then.  When Petrino was here and now there are two in the top 10.  Saban won a National Championship (not championshipS).

The SEC East was the strong part of the SEC back then yes.  We play in the SEC West.  Our cross divisional opponent was always USCjr who was terrible until Spurrier arrived.

We went to the SEC championship one year only because Bama was on probation. 

If Nutt was even a decent coach he would have already gotten a job somewhere.  He couldn't even get the ASU job when he tried.  Dude is bad.
If Nutt was that 'BAD', then what does that make Bielema?
Putrid? Horrific? Nutt is clearly > Bielema.
Both guys have been ranked about they should be by most rational people who have replied to this.
They're not putting Nutt above guys like Broyles, etc but they're also not blowing off everything he did here as some kind of luck.
He was a good coach at the UA.

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #74 on: April 28, 2018, 07:59:36 am »

We haven't beaten Alabama since Saban became coach in 2007...I'll never forget how Nutt basically ruined Darren McFadden in his junior year by pushing Darren too hard against Alabama that night in Tuscaloosa. Darren, as was his usual, gave absolutely 100% against Alabama and got us back in the game and even ahead with 3 minutes to go in the game. The Tide scored a  FG and TD  and beat us 41-38 and Darren was really never the same after that game. The way Nutt sacrificed the greatest Hog of all time and his career makes me physically ill when I think about it. Darren would have run through a brick wall if asked to do so for the University of Arkansas. Sadly, we had an idiot of a coach who actually requested him to do just that. So, Houston Dale Nutt, I hope the memory of that game haunts you every time you think about just how good Darren could have been in the NFL if not for your greed and lack of sympathy as Darren's coach that one night in Tuscaloosa, AL just over a decade ago.

Steef

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #75 on: April 28, 2018, 08:45:24 am »

If Nutt was that 'BAD', then what does that make Bielema?
Putrid? Horrific? Nutt is clearly > Bielema.
Both guys have been ranked about they should be by most rational people who have replied to this.
They're not putting Nutt above guys like Broyles, etc but they're also not blowing off everything he did here as some kind of luck.
He was a good coach at the UA.

No he wasnt. And it has nothing to do with Bielems.

Since everyone seems to want to go exclusively by winning record, Schmidt & Bezdek put Nutt out of this conversation.

rogersvillemohog

« Reply #76 on: April 28, 2018, 11:08:10 am »

1) Broyles - Obvious pick here. No room for discussion. Frank is the GOAT and will continue to be until someone unseats him by winning a National Championship

2) Petrino - Only BCS bowl team in Razorback history, tied the school record for wins the following year, and had Razorback football as a regular in the top 10

3) Holtz - Argument can be made for a National Championship in first year, SWC champs in year three, kinda sorta petered out at the end, but still easily in the top 3

4) Hatfield - Last coach to win a conference championship, and did so in back-to-back years. Sucked in bowl games.

5) Nutt/TCTGF/QB Killa/Dork - Love 'em or hate 'em, he's gotta be up here. I personally can't stand him, but it is a fact that we at least tied for 1st in the West thrice under him, and went to Atlanta three times under him as well.  :puke:

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #77 on: April 29, 2018, 09:54:36 pm »

We haven't beaten Alabama since Saban became coach in 2007...I'll never forget how Nutt basically ruined Darren McFadden in his junior year by pushing Darren too hard against Alabama that night in Tuscaloosa. Darren, as was his usual, gave absolutely 100% against Alabama and got us back in the game and even ahead with 3 minutes to go in the game. The Tide scored a  FG and TD  and beat us 41-38 and Darren was really never the same after that game. The way Nutt sacrificed the greatest Hog of all time and his career makes me physically ill when I think about it. Darren would have run through a brick wall if asked to do so for the University of Arkansas. Sadly, we had an idiot of a coach who actually requested him to do just that. So, Houston Dale Nutt, I hope the memory of that game haunts you every time you think about just how good Darren could have been in the NFL if not for your greed and lack of sympathy as Darren's coach that one night in Tuscaloosa, AL just over a decade ago.
Completely false.
Pushed too hard? How exactly did he do that?
What I remember is McFadden having over 200 yards, but getting a concussion late in the game.
Dean Weber wouldn't let him go back in. If DMac stays in the game, Hogs probably can run the clock out and win the game.
If reality was as you say, the head coach would have overrode the trainer's medical opinion and insisted the star player get back in the game...all so he just win a darn ball game. But that's not what happened. The head coach took the advice of the trainer, as most coaches do, and left him on the bench.
So the reality is the exact opposite of what you described.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #78 on: April 29, 2018, 09:57:13 pm »

No he wasnt. And it has nothing to do with Bielems.

Since everyone seems to want to go exclusively by winning record, Schmidt & Bezdek put Nutt out of this conversation.
No one is mentioning the oldtimers simply because they're not very familiar with them.
My memory goes back to Frank Broyles, but that's it.
Yes, it has everything to do with Bielema. He coached here, didn't he?
If you think Bielema was better than Nutt, then I have nothing to say. Good man, but Nutt did a better job.

HeyHogs

« Reply #79 on: April 29, 2018, 10:52:23 pm »

Frank Broyles, Ken Hatfield, Lou Holtz, Danny Ford and Houston Nutt.

Steef

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #80 on: April 30, 2018, 04:39:37 am »

No one is mentioning the oldtimers simply because they're not very familiar with them.
My memory goes back to Frank Broyles, but that's it.
Yes, it has everything to do with Bielema. He coached here, didn't he?
If you think Bielema was better than Nutt, then I have nothing to say. Good man, but Nutt did a better job.

What I meant was, my opinion of Nutt has nothing to do with Bielema.

And those who still like him, SAY its because of his w/l record.

Thats why I posted a link showing ALL w/l records.  The title of the thread doesnt say "top 5 coaches that you remember". It also doesnt say "ignore any damage he might have done and just argue w/l record".

But that's what everyone is doing. And since folks want to use just pure numbers to include Nutt, they are still wrong.  In the history of our football program Nutts w/l record does not put him in the top 5.

If you are old enough to remember Broyles, then you are old enough to remember that Nutts time here was about much more than w/l.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #81 on: April 30, 2018, 06:21:44 am »

Thats why I posted a link showing ALL w/l records.  The title of the thread doesnt say "top 5 coaches that you remember". It also doesnt say "ignore any damage he might have done and just argue w/l record".

But that's what everyone is doing. And since folks want to use just pure numbers to include Nutt, they are still wrong.  In the history of our football program Nutts w/l record does not put him in the top 5.

If you are old enough to remember Broyles, then you are old enough to remember that Nutts time here was about much more than w/l.

Maybe a better question is, which HC had the top 5 best staffs while at Arkansas? Obviously HC's are hired to guide and be the face of a program, but usually it is their staffs who do the majority of the recruiting and coaching that either leads to their success or failure.

Bacons Rebellion

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #82 on: April 30, 2018, 06:25:14 am »

Francis Schmidt should be on the top 5 list.

He went 45-20-3 from 1922 through 1928. He was, by many accounts, the inventor of the I-formation.

He also popularized the term "they put their pants on one leg at a time, just like us."

http://hogville.net/sports/Football/coach/Francis%20Schmidt.html

Because Schmidt's teams were known for trick plays involving multiple laterals and non-standard tackle-eligible (and even guard-eligible) formations, the press labeled Schmidt's approach as the "razzle-dazzle offense". Because Schmidt's teams were known for high scoring, the press gave him the nickname Francis "Close the Gates of Mercy" Schmidt.

I'll go with:
1. Broyles
2. Schmidt
3. Holtz
4. Barnhill
5. Petrino

Steef

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #83 on: April 30, 2018, 06:29:57 am »

Maybe a better question is, which HC had the top 5 best staffs while at Arkansas? Obviously HC's are hired to guide and be the face of a program, but usually it is their staffs who do the majority of the recruiting and coaching that either leads to their success or failure.

Francis Schmidt should be on the top 5 list.

He went 45-20-3 from 1922 through 1928. He was, by many accounts, the inventor of the I-formation.

He also popularized the term "they put their pants on one leg at a time, just like us."

http://hogville.net/sports/Football/coach/Francis%20Schmidt.html

Because Schmidt's teams were known for trick plays involving multiple laterals and non-standard tackle-eligible (and even guard-eligible) formations, the press labeled Schmidt's approach as the "razzle-dazzle offense". Because Schmidt's teams were known for high scoring, the press gave him the nickname Francis "Close the Gates of Mercy" Schmidt.

I'll go with:
1. Broyles
2. Schmidt
3. Holtz
4. Barnhill
5. Petrino

Now we're getting somewhere.

Peter Porker

• Love God. Love Others. It's that simple.
« Reply #84 on: April 30, 2018, 07:05:51 am »

Talk about revisionist history. No mention of the Harrod investigation that crippled recruiting in the early 2000s. Amazing that he won so many games with just 2 players "falling in his lap". It's laughable the extreme folks will go to run down Nutt. It's like they think they're getting points with Lanny for every negative Nutt post.

Steef

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #85 on: April 30, 2018, 07:27:18 am »

Talk about revisionist history. No mention of the Harrod investigation that crippled recruiting in the early 2000s. Amazing that he won so many games with just 2 players "falling in his lap". It's laughable the extreme folks will go to run down Nutt. It's like they think they're getting points with Lanny for every negative Nutt post.

LOL

A Hogwork Orange

« Reply #86 on: April 30, 2018, 09:35:08 am »

1. Broyles
2. Holtz
3. Petrino
4. Nutt
5. Hatfield

Hopefully Morris takes that #2 spot when it is all said and done. Don't think he can dethrone Broyles at #1 though.

HeathWimp

• AKA "Frank's Slap Rendition Camp"
« Reply #87 on: April 30, 2018, 09:49:47 am »

5)Chad Morris- unproven pick, yes I know but I do think he's been dealt a much better hand from our 'half ton' coach who was a nice guy but just was in way over his head in the ultra-tough SEC...Morris will surprise a lot of people when we go 8-4 this season....there's more talent on The Hill than last year's record shows when the players basically quit on Bielema

Only on Hogville would a coach get picked in our all-time Top 5 without coaching a game.

Tell you what 69, if we go 8-4 this year, I'll buy you lunch at Slim Chickens.  I'm good for it.

A Hogwork Orange

« Reply #88 on: April 30, 2018, 03:42:16 pm »

Only on Hogville would a coach get picked in our all-time Top 5 without coaching a game.

Tell you what 69, if we go 8-4 this year, I'll buy you lunch at Slim Chickens.  I'm good for it.

Can I get in on this? I love me some Slim Chickens.

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #89 on: April 30, 2018, 03:48:50 pm »

1. Broyles
2. Hatfield
3. Holtz
4. Barnhill
5. Kines

HeathWimp

• AKA "Frank's Slap Rendition Camp"
« Reply #90 on: April 30, 2018, 04:33:13 pm »

Can I get in on this? I love me some Slim Chickens.

Sure, if you are predicting 8-4.

hawganatic

• Senior
« Reply #91 on: April 30, 2018, 04:35:13 pm »

So Nutt averaged 8 wins a season here, 4-4 in conference.  That probably translates to 6-7 wins overall and 3 conference wins a year currently, considering how much more competitive the SEC is now than in the early 2000s.

You really think that's all Morris is capable of?

hawganatic

• Senior
« Reply #92 on: April 30, 2018, 04:40:46 pm »

It's revisionist history to claim the investigation "crippled" our program.  We lost a total of 10 scholarships over 5 years (2 per year).  That's not exactly laying the boom down on the program...

I'm sure your response is going to be "but it was used against us in recruiting."  Looking at the amount of NFL talent we had on the 2003 team, I don't really think that argument holds water.

What crippled our program was Nutt's short sided recruiting, inability to field a balanced offense, and his insistence on hiring his friends/family instead of putting the best staff possible together.

The investigation and probation was a crutch, nothing more.

Mike Irwin

« Reply #93 on: April 30, 2018, 05:25:44 pm »

1. Frank Broyles: Won the school's only national championship. Came within a whisker of winning two more. Only Arkansas coach with four 10 win seasons (one of the four, 11 wins).
2 Ken Hatfield: Highest winning percentage of any Arkansas coach (76%). Only coach besides Broyles with three 10 win seasons.
3. Hugo Bezdek: Coached the first unbeaten Arkansas team. Gave the school its first taste of success against quality competition. Was an innovator. Took an Intramural QB (Steve Creekmore) and turned him into a star who ran a no huddle offense in 1909-10.
4. Fred Thomsen: First Arkansas coach to beat Texas (1933). Only Arkansas coach to beat Texas four years in a row (1935,36,37,38). Took basketball players and turned them into receivers. Wore the Shorthorns out throwing the ball.
5. Bobby Petrino: One of only two Arkansas coaches to have an 11 win season. *

* This is wrong. I must have been brain dead when I posted it. Broyles, Holtz and Petrino each had 11 win seasons.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 08:37:41 pm by Mike Irwin »

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #94 on: April 30, 2018, 08:23:58 pm »

->If you are old enough to remember Broyles, then you are old enough to remember that Nutts time here was about much more than w/l.  -->

That's the main difference between me and some others. My evaluation of Nutt has everything to do with objective facts such as his record and nothing with do with soap opera "Days of Our Lives" stuff going on back then. You can argue some of it was created by the coaching staff, but then I would counter some of it was created by drama queen fans. I never got into that stuff back then, and I certainly don't now.

Just stick to the facts. I couldn't care less about off-field melodrama. I've heard ad nauseum all the arguments of how important this or that was, and none of them added up to much, in my opinion. Just melodrama.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #95 on: April 30, 2018, 08:28:44 pm »

So Nutt averaged 8 wins a season here, 4-4 in conference.  That probably translates to 6-7 wins overall and 3 conference wins a year currently, considering how much more competitive the SEC is now than in the early 2000s.

You really think that's all Morris is capable of?
So I can put you down for the 'exceed' count. Ha

Nutt actually averaged 7.5 wins over 10 years. Of course that is boosted by having a couple of spikes in there, like 2006.
I think if a coach can average 7-8 wins a year, most fans will be happy, as long as there are some years that are above average and the team is contending for something bigger.
Which is pretty much what Nutt did. Which is why I think he's a good benchmark for Chad Morris.
Petrino, after having a chance to rebuild, was on pace to far exceed that, but he was only here for 4 short years, so we don't have the data of 10 years to know how that 10 years would have looked as an aggregate. I would have loved to have found out.

Steef

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #96 on: April 30, 2018, 09:06:47 pm »

->If you are old enough to remember Broyles, then you are old enough to remember that Nutts time here was about much more than w/l.  -->

That's the main difference between me and some others. My evaluation of Nutt has everything to do with objective facts such as his record and nothing with do with soap opera "Days of Our Lives" stuff going on back then. You can argue some of it was created by the coaching staff, but then I would counter some of it was created by drama queen fans. I never got into that stuff back then, and I certainly don't now.

Just stick to the facts. I couldn't care less about off-field melodrama. I've heard ad nauseum all the arguments of how important this or that was, and none of them added up to much, in my opinion. Just melodrama.

Then you and I will never agree.

Have a nice life.

Peter Porker

« Reply #97 on: May 01, 2018, 07:05:44 am »

Darren had over 300 yards vs. SCAR later that season....

Peter Porker

« Reply #98 on: May 01, 2018, 07:07:03 am »

1. Frank Broyles: Won the school's only national championship. Came within a whisker of winning two more. Only Arkansas coach with four 10 win seasons (one of the four, 11 wins).
2 Ken Hatfield: Highest winning percentage of any Arkansas coach (76%). Only coach besides Broyles with three 10 win seasons.
3. Hugo Bezdek: Coached the first unbeaten Arkansas team. Gave the school its first taste of success against quality competition. Was an innovator. Took an Intramural QB (Steve Creekmore) and turned him into a star who ran a no huddle offense in 1909-10.
4. Fred Thomsen: First Arkansas coach to beat Texas (1933). Only Arkansas coach to beat Texas four years in a row (1935,36,37,38). Took basketball players and turned them into receivers. Wore the Shorthorns out throwing the ball.
5. Bobby Petrino: One of only two Arkansas coaches to have an 11 win season.

#5 is easy when all the previous coaches before him coached in 11 and 10 game seasons....

Mike Irwin

« Reply #99 on: May 01, 2018, 05:46:42 pm »

Melodrama created by the head coach. One of the most important things a head coach does is to lead his staff. A team cannot come close to maximum effectiveness if its coaching staff is divided.

In the end Houston Nutt ended up with the same problem that plagued Danny Ford. Both had a staff divided against itself which caused the players to pick sides and that was a disaster for Ford. Nutt had better players and in 2006 those players pulled off a miracle IMO. They won 10 games with a soap opera going on every day. If Nutt had stepped in and provided real leadership that team could have won a national championship.

The off-field melodrama you mentioned was not the issue. It was the melodrama within the team that did the damage.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas