• 10,017,587 Posts
• 401,526 Topics
• 22,977 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kickoff return rule change.  (Read 3128 times)

ricepig

Hawgphat

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: Kickoff return rule change.
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 04:32:02 pm »

I wonder how much longer it will be before Kickoffs are eliminated entirely, - - and initial possessions are decided by a coin toss.  At some point, presumably, tackling and blocking below AND above the waist will be banned, and QBs, RBs and receivers will be deemed to be "in the grasp" - and thus ruled to have had their progress halted by "contact".

Beam me up, Scotty.

>:(

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 04:55:48 pm »

I wonder how much longer it will be before Kickoffs are eliminated entirely, - - and initial possessions are decided by a coin toss.  At some point, presumably, tackling and blocking below AND above the waist will be banned, and QBs, RBs and receivers will be deemed to be "in the grasp" - and thus ruled to have had their progress halted by "contact".

Beam me up, Scotty.

First statement is a very realistic scenario, but then quickly went off the deep end.

Not a fan of this rule change though.

LRRandy

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 05:20:54 pm »

First statement is a very realistic scenario, but then quickly went off the deep end.

it eliminates the strategy and risk/reward of trying to kick the ball near the sideline inside the 5 to pin a team at the goal line to start a drive. I wonder how many injuries occurred during the kick off and return versus plays from scrimmage. I'm all for safety but moving the kick off to the 35 seemed to be enough to encourage teams to kick it out of the back of the end zone. I don't like this change either.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 05:36:47 pm »

it eliminates the strategy and risk/reward of trying to kick the ball near the sideline inside the 5 to pin a team at the goal line to start a drive. I wonder how many injuries occurred during the kick off and return versus plays from scrimmage. I'm all for safety but moving the kick off to the 35 seemed to be enough to encourage teams to kick it out of the back of the end zone. I don't like this change either.

Probably more from offensive and defensive plays strictly due to the shear volume, but on a per play basis, kick returns even moreso than punt returns have consistently had the most injuries.

The previous rule change I thought was a good idea. Incentivize touchbacks a bit more for the returning team, increase the ability of the kicking team to kick it into the endzone, but still allowing, as you said, for that strategy of forcing the return and getting the team behind the touchback line. Further, it was effective in decreasing the number of kick returns. Pre 2012, the team with the most kick returns had something around 80 KR's in a season with the top 100 having mostly 45-65 KR's in a given season. Post 2012 rule change, the top team usually just cracks 60 KR's, the top 100 will range from 35-50 KR's over a season. That's a solid 20% decrease in KR's. If you are going to do more than that, might as well stop beating around the bush and just cancel it altogether or switch the kickoff to a punt or something.

jgphillips3

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Life is too short for bad beer.
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 06:18:01 pm »

This rule will be broken in no time.  I see coaches implementing modified squib kicks that bound outside the 25 and bounce off players like pinballs or hit the ground outside the 25 and bounce high to eliminate the fair catch.

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 07:06:29 pm »

Beam me up, Scotty.

oh, it's coming. i bet within 2 years in the NFL.

PorkSoda

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 07:23:45 pm »

"The Football Rules Committee made the proposal to continue efforts to increase the number of touchbacks during kickoffs since fewer injuries occur during kickoffs that result in touchbacks than on kickoffs that are returned. "

lol, no chit sherlock

PorkSoda

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2018, 07:26:42 pm »

Probably more from offensive and defensive plays strictly due to the shear volume, but on a per play basis, kick returns even moreso than punt returns have consistently had the most injuries.

The previous rule change I thought was a good idea. Incentivize touchbacks a bit more for the returning team, increase the ability of the kicking team to kick it into the endzone, but still allowing, as you said, for that strategy of forcing the return and getting the team behind the touchback line. Further, it was effective in decreasing the number of kick returns. Pre 2012, the team with the most kick returns had something around 80 KR's in a season with the top 100 having mostly 45-65 KR's in a given season. Post 2012 rule change, the top team usually just cracks 60 KR's, the top 100 will range from 35-50 KR's over a season. That's a solid 20% decrease in KR's. If you are going to do more than that, might as well stop beating around the bush and just cancel it altogether or switch the kickoff to a punt or something.
yeah at this point, just place the ball on the 25 and do away with kick offs entirely.  its obviously what they want to do anyway.  this new rule change makes zero sense.

Hawgphat

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2018, 10:12:26 pm »

Yes, I employed a dollop of sarcasm, admittedly; - - but I still realistically maintain that we are highly likely to witness an ongoing, progressive evolutionary encroachment of "fine-tuning" measures upon the game  - as we now know it -  in rules adaptations, culminating in a much-altered game of college football.

Those who fail to perceive that pertinent prognostication handwriting on the stadium wall may be afflicted with football savvy illiteracy.

247Hog

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2018, 10:25:05 pm »

I hate the rule.

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • RIP LILY, WE MISS YOU DEARLY
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2018, 05:16:09 am »

just start every possession on the 25, and be done with it. 
or better yet
just go to 7 on 7 flag football

football is a brutal sport, you cannot make it injury free, and have the same sport. so, just change the sport, people will stop going, and the sport will die. and everyone can move on to soccer.  since they keep ramming that sport down our throats

MultipleScoreGasms

• Varsity
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2018, 07:22:18 am »

"The Football Rules Committee made the proposal to continue efforts to increase the number of touchbacks during kickoffs since fewer injuries occur during kickoffs that result in touchbacks than on kickoffs that are returned. "

lol, no chit sherlock

:o  Breaking News!!!  NCAA discovers the likelihood of injuries increases when players make contact with opposing players..... ::)

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2018, 08:39:30 am »

Dammit!!!....I love head injuries!

Dark Helmet Hog

• Now let's see how well you handle it...
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2018, 08:57:03 am »

Just another step toward flag football.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2018, 09:52:30 am »

Might as well make the whole damn game the same rules as overtime. Geez.

hoggusamoungus

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2018, 10:15:56 am »

I just heard former SEC ref Tom Ritter, he of BP's "look my players in the eye" rant after a poor call at SC, discussing rule changes on Nashville radio.  He says its the severity, not the number, of injuries that occur on kickoffs that are driving the changes.  With no blocking below the waist, its almost always concussions or neck injuries due to the speed and increased impact. 

HoginMemphis

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2018, 10:20:40 am »

why don't they make a new rule that it is a 15 yard penalty to have a concussion. Then no one would get them.

ChicoHog

• RIP Glenn. You're "Already Gone" way too soon
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2018, 10:29:18 am »

When the kickoff changed from the 30 to the 35 it eliminated many of the most exciting plays in college football.  Now it all but killed it.  Probably help us though since we never seem to find a kicker that can kick it through the end zone so maybe our opponent will fair catch the ball and we won't give up a big return. 

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2018, 02:04:41 pm »

Have the kicker kick it as a squib/onside kick that can be recovered by the kicking team.

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2018, 04:44:14 pm »

Horrible Rule Change

PygmalionEffect2

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2018, 08:05:46 pm »

Pace of play

At a glance didn't see anything related to reducing the number of commercials in a game so immediately recognized it as b.s. and moved on.

PygmalionEffect2

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2018, 08:10:13 pm »

There is no other team in football that this rule hurts more than bama,

but I see the article just caused the conservative justice warrior alarm to go off for the first few posters.

typical

FATHAWG08

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2018, 08:11:10 pm »

If the Kickoff is eliminated. What happens when a team is trailing late in a game scores a TD and now they don't have the option for an onside kick? This will eliminate some exciting moments for sure.

PygmalionEffect2

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2018, 08:13:14 pm »

If the Kickoff is eliminated. What happens when a team is trailing late in a game scores a TD and now they don't have the option for an onside kick? This will eliminate some exciting moments for sure.

Read before you comment.  Took me all of 20 seconds.

EastexHawg

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2018, 08:18:24 pm »

or better yet

football is a brutal sport, you cannot make it injury free, and have the same sport. so, just change the sport, people will stop going, and the sport will die. and everyone can move on to soccer.  since they keep ramming that sport down our throats

Cosign

checkraiser88

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2018, 11:46:27 pm »

"Leaping rules on field goals and extra points were adjusted to mirror similar rules regarding leaping the shield on punting plays. It is illegal to leap over the frame of the body of an opponent."

Less blocked fieldgoals now?

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2018, 11:48:24 pm »

There is no other team in football that this rule hurts more than bama,

but I see the article just caused the conservative justice warrior alarm to go off for the first few posters.

typical
Right? cons love head injuries i guess.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2018, 11:53:17 pm »

or better yet

Nobody is forcing soccer down your throat.

It just happens to be one of the oldest sports that we still play as well as being the most popular sport in the world by a ridiculously wide margin.

LRRandy

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2018, 05:27:17 am »

Nobody is forcing soccer down your throat.

It just happens to be one of the oldest sports that we still play as well as being the most popular sport in the world by a ridiculously wide margin.
well, that is mostly because a ball is all most of these countries can afford. Only equipment necessary.

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • RIP LILY, WE MISS YOU DEARLY
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2018, 06:48:41 am »

well, that is mostly because a ball is all most of these countries can afford. Only equipment necessary.

And it takes very little skill to play at a young age.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2018, 07:58:15 am »

At an early age it only takes one and it isn’t highly skillful......kick the ball. Heck a LOT of species can be taught that.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2018, 04:03:35 pm »

You never played tackle football with just a ball and a field with no pads?

That's true of every sport.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2018, 04:07:59 pm »

When the kickoff changed from the 30 to the 35 it eliminated many of the most exciting plays in college football.  Now it all but killed it.  Probably help us though since we never seem to find a kicker that can kick it through the end zone so maybe our opponent will fair catch the ball and we won't give up a big return.

Most KO's don't end up being very exciting. I did eliminate about 20% of returns. However, if you look at the number of td's scored from kickoffs, that number barely changed. About 5 teams per year don't get a KR td that did before the previous rule change with about 38-50 teams getting at least one return td since 2012 and about 40-55 getting them before the change. Further, the number of teams with multiple td's didn't noticeable change.

Largely, it cut down on the KR's that didn't add up to much anyways while having minimal impact on the long KR's. 

ChicoHog

• RIP Glenn. You're "Already Gone" way too soon
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2018, 05:36:25 pm »

Most KO's don't end up being very exciting. I did eliminate about 20% of returns. However, if you look at the number of td's scored from kickoffs, that number barely changed. About 5 teams per year don't get a KR td that did before the previous rule change with about 38-50 teams getting at least one return td since 2012 and about 40-55 getting them before the change. Further, the number of teams with multiple td's didn't noticeable change.

Largely, it cut down on the KR's that didn't add up to much anyways while having minimal impact on the long KR's. 
Yes but every time there is a kickoff return there is a chance of a TD or long return and a chance of the guy fumbling or getting tackled inside the 20.  Now there is just a boring fair catch?  Boo! 

nwahogfan1

before they penalize RBs from hurdling potential tacklers.    I do not want them to change it  back but it is very dangerous. 

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2018, 07:17:51 pm »

Yes but every time there is a kickoff return there is a chance of a TD or long return and a chance of the guy fumbling or getting tackled inside the 20.  Now there is just a boring fair catch?  Boo!

You do realize that there is exactly as much of a chance that happening as there has been the past 5 years?

Nobody is forced to fair catch the ball.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2018, 08:34:26 am »

Why is it that every time a rule is changed, the " just make it flag football " people show up? I know, you practiced in 150 degree heat with no water for 29 hours a day. You played with a piece of your skull missing to let your brain swell so you could keep playing. You once played 23 overtimes with your forearm broken in half and the bone sticking out.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2018, 08:41:34 am »

Why is it that every time a rule is changed, the " just make it flag football " people show up? I know, you practiced in 150 degree heat with no water for 29 hours a day. You played with a piece of your skull missing to let your brain swell so you could keep playing. You once played 23 overtimes with your forearm broken in half and the bone sticking out.

That’s what made it football!

Bobby Bobo

« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2018, 08:47:08 am »

new rules usually suck

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2018, 09:05:46 am »

That’s what made it football!

Guess we should bring back clipping, make face masking legal ( or even better remove the facemask ), along with horse collar tackles, the flying wedge, make the forward pass illegal. No overtime, players only allowed to leave and re-enter once, or maybe even go further back to players leaving the game can not return at all.

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I need help with my footwork, too.
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2018, 09:12:13 am »

Guess we should bring back clipping, make face masking legal ( or even better remove the facemask ), along with horse collar tackles, the flying wedge, make the forward pass illegal. No overtime, players only allowed to leave and re-enter once, or maybe even go further back to players leaving the game can not return at all.

Why not just go to two hand touch 7 on 7 in shorts and helmets? 

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2018, 10:06:49 am »

Why not just go to two hand touch 7 on 7 in shorts and helmets? 

Actually with all those that wet themselves over the spread offense, I thought that was what everyone wanted now.

But tell you what, go strap on the gear, go through full practice with just a high level HS team and tell us that today's game is soft, pansy football.

steveaustin69

« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2018, 10:12:42 am »

The CTE has already set in with them.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2018, 11:06:07 am »

The CTE has already set in with them.

Or, grumpy old man/peaked at age 18 has set in with them. 

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I need help with my footwork, too.
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2018, 12:27:23 pm »

Actually with all those that wet themselves over the spread offense, I thought that was what everyone wanted now.

But tell you what, go strap on the gear, go through full practice with just a high level HS team and tell us that today's game is soft, pansy football.

How many high school practices have you seen in the last four years?  Not that I said “today’s game is soft, pansy football” or anything closely resembling it.

steveaustin69

« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2018, 12:35:54 pm »

How many high school practices have you seen in the last four years?  Not that I said “today’s game is soft, pansy football” or anything closely resembling it.

Approximately 600

PolishPigPower

• As useless as JPEGs to Helen Keller...
« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2018, 03:26:32 pm »

Ok, for a team that struggles having kickoffs that reach the end zone, now we can just have our kicker pooch it high.  If they fair catch it at the 22-yard line or if it reaches the end zone... same result.

Sadly, this could be a blessing to our special teams next year if properly applied.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas