• 394,678 Topics
• 22,261 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: FBI has just released an expanded indictment against Adidas's Gatto and others  (Read 6807 times)

k.c.hawg

I don’t think Cal would get off so easy this time and get hired in college again.

Definitely. The NCAA has handed down the old "show cause". Most of the coaches involved could go to the NBA. The fact that the NCAA's television partners hire the coaches that have a show cause to keep them involved in the game where they can hit the road running (Bruce Pearl) tells you how serious the NCAA is. That show cause could extend into working NCAA broadcasts.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 12:52:15 pm by k.c.hawg »

k.c.hawg

There's nothing yet to tie UK, KU, or Duke to any issues.  Duke and UK had a player with a meal.  Under $200 means pay back and play.  They were both cleared to continue playing.  Bam taking money in high school means UK could lose games but he denies receiving money at this point.  The documented "Bad Loan" may mean someone was paid to get Bam to NC St. and he didn't go.  No evidence has come out yet.  KU was stated to be a victim and they didn't know.  They may have to forfeit games but doubt they tie it to Self.

I know, I know everyone in the country is guilty but let it play out and see.  My guess would be this:  Any coach that was involved will get the school in trouble.  If no coaches are tied to anything, they get off easy.  Maybe loss of games, maybe not.

If new info comes out, then something new may be an option.  UL should be fried for 2 reasons.  1.  A coach was involved.  2. They were already on probation.  They had an appeal in place but 1. The punishment had already been set, and 2. They didn't appeal the probation.  (That's the biggie for them)

Smoking gun for Duke is that the Begley family went from 40k household income to riches. 

Several schools have already had coaches involved. Auburn, NC State, Arizona and Oklahoma State all have had assistant coaches hung up in aspects of this......that should fall directly on the head coach. He hired them!!

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

greenEGnHAWGS

• Hogvillian
  • Another day in HV Paradise...

In the release it says the coaches knew nothing about the money.  Adidas was going behind their back in their dealings with the players.

Just what do you expect coaches to say? Of COURSE every coach in the league will say “What?! We didn’t know anything!” Yet somehow, we have people who just think “We’ll...the coach said he didn’t know, so that’s that.”

I understand that’s it’s nearly impossible for the FBI or NCAA to PROVE knowledge of a transaction, unless they were idiotic enough to discuss it via email or something that can be traced. But to actually believe these coaches don’t know what’s going on is just being purposely naive.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!

Just what do you expect coaches to say? Of COURSE every coach in the league will say “What?! We didn’t know anything!” Yet somehow, we have people who just think “We’ll...the coach said he didn’t know, so that’s that.”

I understand that’s it’s nearly impossible for the FBI or NCAA to PROVE knowledge of a transaction, unless they were idiotic enough to discuss it via email or something that can be traced. But to actually believe these coaches don’t know what’s going on is just being purposely naive.

First thing coaches learn in coaching school “plausible deniability”.

Deli Owl

• Band Nerd
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net

Several schools have already had coaches involved. Auburn, NC State, Arizona and Oklahoma State all have had assistant coaches hung up in aspects of this......that should fall directly on the head coach. He hired them!!
Agree

HF#1

These schools claiming they are victims is laughable. Last time I checked, victims aren't the beneficiaries of a crime or wrong doing.

cityhog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • THE City

Does any of this impact us in any way? I think not. Those involved will use the Cam/Auburn defense of 'we had no idea', and we'll still finish anywhere from 7th to 3rd in the SEC every year. yawn.

greenEGnHAWGS

• Hogvillian
  • Another day in HV Paradise...

Does any of this impact us in any way? I think not. Those involved will use the Cam/Auburn defense of 'we had no idea', and we'll still finish anywhere from 7th to 3rd in the SEC every year. yawn.

I think the impact of this has the POTENTIAL to be much bigger than the Cam scandal. If something drastic happens and all of these schools are hit HARD, then I can see us being a slight beneficiary (but not so drastic it makes us automatic Nation Contenders). If each school gets slapped on the wrist, I can only see things much worse as they just learned that they can beat the system and get by even the FBI which will only separate us further with Mike due to his moral standard. I hope for the sake of the spirit College Basketball that the cheaters get busted and are handed what is deserved. I don’t think that’ll happen, but this DEFINITELY will impact is...imo.

k.c.hawg

It can have an impact on a lot of schools before it is all said and done. Arizona has lost a longtime assistant that was their lead recruiter and their whole 2018 class. Louisville lost a coach that has multiple Final 4's and a 5 star player. There are several 5 star players sitting at schools right now that very possibly will be ruled ineligible. There have already been multiple players decommit from schools involved.  Will it all benefit the Hogs....who knows, Auburn has already been stripped down because of it. Actually before it is all said and done, being clean could be a very big benefit, kids want to play in the tournament, we have all seen the damage that can be done by uncertainty, when you are under investigation.

Busta_Nutt

Sure hope they don't find anything on MA...

If they do and the results of the past 7 seasons are all we have to show for it, then he should be sent to Mars in the next SpaceX launch.

hawgball40

I told you fools bill self was dirty! and coach k is too!

bigred223

• Hogvillian

So what? There is very little the FBI does that I trust.

smh..

Pancetta

I wonder if the FBI onl had the goods on the guys they already arrested and hoped the public nature of those arrests would cause some other dirty assistant coaches to come forward to cut deals to try to wire tap the head coaches. 

The players that got loans probably won't affect the universities at all.  That stuff probably happens all the time outside the knowledge of the schools.  Plus there is no tax evasion possibility there, so the most likely the schools will have to vacate the wins they got with those players on the floor. The ones that they can prove got cash they can go after for tax evasion but at least in the Arizona case it sounds like all the money went thru AC Richardson so unless the players or parent were really stupid and deposited it or bought a big ticket item with cash they probably won't be prosecuted. 

The head coaches will all lawyer up and deny any knowledge.  So just depends on who got caught on wiretaps and how good those recordings are.  Seems to be some parallel investigations going on because reading some of the stories it seems like the Soon owned agency and the shoe companies are competing with each other to steer these kids to schools. 

Drop the Mike

• Varsity

Stealing a UCA commit could draw some attention

Cinco de Hogo

I doubt anything will happen to an elite team of coach.  The scapegoat has already been thrown to the wolves and it really didn’t even have that much to do with THIS investigation.  Rick Pitino was already a stain on the NCAA and Louisville isn’t exactly a blue blood so there you go? “the scapegoat”.  The NCAA might sacrifice another such as Wichita State if it has to but only if it really feels threatened and dies this really even threaten the NCAA at all.

AlmaHog2011

• Hogvillian

What does the FBI do that you do trust? Since you understand and know the FBI so well and are able to parse out what you do trust about the FBI and what you don't trust about the FBI... I'm interested to know.

FBI is the most corrupt department in the history of history. Only liberals trust them when trying to impeach an elected president.

AlmaHog2011

• Hogvillian

Please tell us what MA has done? If he has cheated then I hope they do find out.

I'm confident Mike Anderson doesn't and hasn't cheated.

ShadowHawg

• All-American Hogvillian

I doubt anything will happen to an elite team of coach.  The scapegoat has already been thrown to the wolves and it really didn’t even have that much to do with THIS investigation.  Rick Pitino was already a stain on the NCAA and Louisville isn’t exactly a blue blood so there you go? “the scapegoat”.  The NCAA might sacrifice another such as Wichita State if it has to but only if it really feels threatened and dies this really even threaten the NCAA at all.

Pitino was fired over being implicated in this investigation. Louisville didn't care about the other stuff or they would have fired him much earlier. This is a legal matter not an NCAA matter and they wanted to put as much distance between the school and Pitino as possible because of it.

niels_boar

• Senior

Mason Jones was recently ranked the #6 JUCO by 247.  He was clearly going to have offers from Power 5 conferences had Arkansas not scooped him up. JUCOs frequently move up the board quickly after their frosh season. 

Paul

• All-American Hogvillian

FBI is the most corrupt department in the history of history. Only liberals trust them when trying to impeach an elected president.
so in your opinion how does this tie into that conspiracy?

Cinco de Hogo

Pitino was fired over being implicated in this investigation. Louisville didn't care about the other stuff or they would have fired him much earlier. This is a legal matter not an NCAA matter and they wanted to put as much distance between the school and Pitino as possible because of it.

LOL, if you think so, but a question, why haven’t the other twenty or so future hall of fame coaches been fired for “being implicated”?

Hoggish1

wire fraud and money transfer charges, now naming 4 schools and athletes being paid to attend those schools.....Kansas, NC State, Miami and Louisville. Said the investigation is now expanding, don't think this is going away. They essentially put out a caveat at the end...if you have info, come see us before we come see you.

When is Kentucky going to be named?

Hoggish1

wire fraud and money transfer charges, now naming 4 schools and athletes being paid to attend those schools.....Kansas, NC State, Miami and Louisville. Said the investigation is now expanding, don't think this is going away. They essentially put out a caveat at the end...if you have info, come see us before we come see you.

I knew it was only a matter of time before Calipari had that program in a mess. He's done that everywhere he has been the Head coach. UMASS has never fully recovered from the damage he did to their program.

If they have to vacate any wins (since letting NC catch them would be a fate worse than death for that "program"), expect Coach Cal to be gone from there in a New York minute...

k.c.hawg

The FBI had a two prong investigation that we know of. One involved the raid on a agents office and money that the agents firm had been giving to players as loans, meals the agents had paid for while meeting with players still in college or some before they went to college and cash that the agents were giving to players parents.

The other more serious portion of the investigation was Adidas funneling large amounts of cash to players or players families in order for said player to go to an Adidas school. Kentucky is a Nike school and wasn't among the schools that turned up in this part of the investigation.

Kentucky players did show up in the agent/money/meals investigation. Kevin Knox was listed as having a meal paid for during a meeting which he supposedly paid back, clearing him to continue playing this year. Bam Adabayo was listed in some documents as having received as  much as $37,500 in loans (that he didn't pay back) while playing at Kentucky. Problem with that is.....proving Kentucky or Calipari had any knowledge of it. It could lead to him being ineligible and vacating victories but even that is doubtful.

bkjbearcat

• Senior

He is????? What I see is a HC who does whatever he can to win and get elite players. Wish we had that here.

This FBI investigation is a joke. It's not going to change college basketball and no matter what his cultist say, it won't make MA a better recruiter.

The FBI already got their guy. And the guy who they got, will have a job at a D1 school this time next year.

BTW, the FBI has been looking into Jerry Tarkanian's dealings with UNLV boosters. The issue, no one bothered to tell them Tark is dead.

k.c.hawg

He is????? What I see is a HC who does whatever he can to win and get elite players. Wish we had that here.

This FBI investigation is a joke. It's not going to change college basketball and no matter what his cultist say, it won't make MA a better recruiter.

The FBI already got their guy. And the guy who they got, will have a job at a D1 school this time next year.

BTW, the FBI has been looking into Jerry Tarkanian's dealings with UNLV boosters. The issue, no one bothered to tell them Tark is dead.

Rick Pitino wasn't charged with anything by the FBI. His school fired his ass because they were sick of his behavior. There are 10 people under federal indictment that will spend their life savings fighting the charges and will never work in their profession again. And there are probably many charges of tax evasion to come. Not to mention there are probably a lot more indictments to come. I wouldn't call it a joke.

justmakeit2thebcs

Donald? is that you? 

bigred223

• Hogvillian

You have no proof whatsoever for this statement. You just want it to be true because you want 'your guy' to stay in office. This isn't sports, maybe it's time to start thinking objectively.

bkjbearcat

• Senior

Great inside from The Sporting News Mike DeCourcy. The FBI investigations might bring in change, for the worst. Or only cosmetic changes.

https://omny.fm/shows/the-border-patrol/mike-decourcy-48?in_playlist=the-border-patrol!podcast

k.c.hawg

The coach of an AAU team who the FBI alleged arranged payments to family members in order to steer prospects to certain schools, including Kansas, has agreed to plead guilty and cooperate with prosecutors in the college basketball recruiting scandal.

Thomas “T.J.” Gassnola entered the plea March 30. U.S. District Judge Victor Marrero in New York ordered the documents unsealed on April 12, although they weren’t posted on the public docket until Friday.

Gassnola was identified by Yahoo Sports and other media outlets as “Co-conspirator-3” when the FBI announced new charges against Adidas executive Jim Gatto earlier this month. Those charges formally included Kansas and North Carolina State in schemes that alleged payments to lure prospects.

In a March 30 court filing, Assistant U.S. Attorney Eli Mark said Gassnola participated in proffer sessions before he was charged, revealing new information that might lead to grand jury subpoenas or indictments for individuals not currently charged in the cases.

"That information has proven reliable and has been corroborated by law enforcement investigations in connection with this case," Mark wrote.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/23338765/thomas-tj-gassnola-aau-basketball-director-cooperate-federal-investigation

These quotes are from two separate articles. A lot has been written on this in the last couple of days. Once the guilty pleas start we will find out how deep this is going to go, whether coaching staffs were behind the payments or if it was behind their backs. These guys facing 10-20 and have one chance to tell the truth for leniency. Legal fees are probably ruining them financially, they will never work in the field again. If coaches sitting on $20 million, $30 million nest eggs, with their reputations intact are complicit, I fully expect them to get busted out. If they don't get implicated I will assume they probably know of it but cannot be proves to know about it. It wouldn't surprise me if some parents get indicted. They essentially sold the services of their kids and then signed the NLI.

Captain Morgan

How has the NCAA commissioner not been fired by now? This is absolute thug gangsters in the NCAA.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!

The tax man cometh...

(notOM)Rebel123

• Hogville.net

k.c.hawg

Of all the coaches running the basketball factories I like Bill Self as much if not more than any other. Seems like a real guy and usually tells it like it is. Being right here I've watched this thing evolve and you can see how he has gotten into the deepest mud with the dirtiest of them. Early on he was doing it with good players but not one and done. As the program grew he started being in on the most elite and many of them were the players that wait until the late period and come to a podium with 3 hats.

What is now known is Andrew Wiggins received 6 figures, Josh Jackson's mom received cash payments, Billy Preston's mom received approaching 6 figures, DeSousa's guardian received large amounts of cash. Whether Self 100% knows of the payments and amounts I highly doubt but I am 100% convinced this man knows these guys, plus many others that have rolled through there, are getting paid.

What is known about Billy Preston is his mother met a guy in a hotel room in New York and received $30,000 in Oct 2016. Billy Preston committed to Kansas in mid Nov 2016. She gets another $20,000 in a hotel room in Vegas in mid Jan 2017. Billy Preston enrolls at KU on June 5th. She gets another $15,000 wired to her on June 19th. Hmmmmm. Then right before the season Billy Preston hits a curb in his car, blows tires out and leaves car. Suddenly he is not playing and the KU "investigation" into getting a clearer financial picture on the car becomes a big thing. They won't say what he was driving and there is no police report. They turn over their findings to NCAA. Billy Preston never plays

The whole damn thing seems like what has been rumored. We won't stand in the way of you getting what you can get, as long as you don't make the news and get people snooping around. Jackson made the news but it was later in the season and too late to disassociate themselves from him. Right now it looks like Kansas could be the single worst offender out there.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian

How has the NCAA commissioner not been fired by now? This is absolute thug gangsters in the NCAA.

Dude has mishandled scam after scam.  It was why he was hired, look at his trail of issues.  He is there to keep the money flowing and when bag things happen that could harm the revenue or viewership for money, he can sweep things under the rug.  See scam newton scandal and others since then. I among others have been often calling for him on this board as he is, a piece of crap. 

zenchow

Billy Preston never plays

[/quote]
 I beg to differ

https://youtu.be/IX2bE-OBtwk

imtad16

The coach of an AAU team who the FBI alleged arranged payments to family members in order to steer prospects to certain schools, including Kansas, has agreed to plead guilty and cooperate with prosecutors in the college basketball recruiting scandal.

Thomas “T.J.” Gassnola entered the plea March 30. U.S. District Judge Victor Marrero in New York ordered the documents unsealed on April 12, although they weren’t posted on the public docket until Friday.

Gassnola was identified by Yahoo Sports and other media outlets as “Co-conspirator-3” when the FBI announced new charges against Adidas executive Jim Gatto earlier this month. Those charges formally included Kansas and North Carolina State in schemes that alleged payments to lure prospects.

In a March 30 court filing, Assistant U.S. Attorney Eli Mark said Gassnola participated in proffer sessions before he was charged, revealing new information that might lead to grand jury subpoenas or indictments for individuals not currently charged in the cases.

"That information has proven reliable and has been corroborated by law enforcement investigations in connection with this case," Mark wrote.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/23338765/thomas-tj-gassnola-aau-basketball-director-cooperate-federal-investigation

These quotes are from two separate articles. A lot has been written on this in the last couple of days. Once the guilty pleas start we will find out how deep this is going to go, whether coaching staffs were behind the payments or if it was behind their backs. These guys facing 10-20 and have one chance to tell the truth for leniency. Legal fees are probably ruining them financially, they will never work in the field again. If coaches sitting on $20 million, $30 million nest eggs, with their reputations intact are complicit, I fully expect them to get busted out. If they don't get implicated I will assume they probably know of it but cannot be proves to know about it. It wouldn't surprise me if some parents get indicted. They essentially sold the services of their kids and then signed the NLI.

Yeah I think the parents do get pulled in. There was a lot of unpaid taxes on these payments. The IRS wants it's money.

Captain Morgan

Dude has mishandled scam after scam.  It was why he was hired, look at his trail of issues.  He is there to keep the money flowing and when bag things happen that could harm the revenue or viewership for money, he can sweep things under the rug.  See scam newton scandal and others since then. I among others have been often calling for him on this board as he is, a piece of crap.

FBI don't give a damn about cheating. They just want the cut from the taxes being not paid to the government. In any other businesses the executives fall on the sword for criminal activities from his employees in mass. I don't see how this is any different

Supermark101

• Senior
  • We all need a little Love

FBI don't give a damn about cheating. They just want the cut from the taxes being not paid to the government. In any other businesses the executives fall on the sword for criminal activities from his employees in mass. I don't see how this is any different

The NCAA are employees of the schools not the other way around

MakingPlays

• Varsity

Why do people do this?  Had the coaching staff sat around and waited for bigger schools to offer Mason Jones and we lost him to one of those schools you guys would be on here claiming how lazy the staff is and how they are always late to the party.  But, if they get an "in" and get on a recruit before bigger schools jump in you make fun of the staff for beating out a smaller school. 

Rashawn Fredericks, a JUCO All-American who we recruited that committed to Cincinnati, was previously committed to North Florida because that was the biggest school recruiting him at the time, he blew up this season and at the end of his recruitment he had Cincinnati, Arkansas, and Baylor all fighting over him.  I sure we could go back and make jokes now on how we beat out North Florida for him instead of losing him to Cincinnati because we got to the party too late. 

rude1

• Razorback Basketball Another New Beginning....

Why do people do this?  Had the coaching staff sat around and waited for bigger schools to offer Mason Jones and we lost him to one of those schools you guys would be on here claiming how lazy the staff is and how they are always late to the party.  But, if they get an "in" and get on a recruit before bigger schools jump in you make fun of the staff for beating out a smaller school. 

Rashawn Fredericks, a JUCO All-American who we recruited that committed to Cincinnati, was previously committed to North Florida because that was the biggest school recruiting him at the time, he blew up this season and at the end of his recruitment he had Cincinnati, Arkansas, and Baylor all fighting over him.  I sure we could go back and make jokes now on how we beat out North Florida for him instead of losing him to Cincinnati because we got to the party too late. 
Difference being no big schools moved in to offer this kid, we were his only P5 offer, anything more is speculation at best and lies at its worst.

MakingPlays

• Varsity

Difference being no big schools moved in to offer this kid, we were his only P5 offer, anything more is speculation at best and lies at its worst.

Did you not read what I said?  The same thing could have been said for Fredericks, he had no major offers before and he was committed to UNF.   I wish our staff would have jumped on him early and been his only major offer so we would have landed him.  It's not a bad thing if the staff moves in on a kid before other schools do.  They identified Jones right as he was blowing up and locked him down before other schools jumped in.  Call that a lie and speculation if you want, but it's the truth, jucorecruiting had already identified him as one of the top JUCO freshman and had him on their watchlist and obviously the 247 scouts thought highly enough of him to put him as the #7 ranked JUCO.

nwahogfan1

I agree they are dirty but are they too big and will not get caught?    FBI will have to have some pretty good evidence because these big boy coaches have a lot of money for some really good attorneys and will drag this thing out.  If we look at all the big boy schools recruiting this year I don't think it hurt their classes.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas