• 9,925,112 Posts
• 399,207 Topics
• 22,882 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: BREAKING: Per source, Mason Jones has committed to the Hogs ...  (Read 14685 times)

klp1

Re: BREAKING: Per source, Mason Jones has committed to the Hogs ...
« Reply #100 on: April 16, 2018, 12:43:46 pm »

Interesting info on Mason... he weighed around 240 as a HS senior, 230 in prep school and 205 this year... his weight likely kept him off the “radar”   I hope he maintains this weight & I look forward to seeing what he can do

Fan701

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #101 on: April 16, 2018, 12:51:51 pm »

Interesting info on Mason... he weighed around 240 as a HS senior, 230 in prep school and 205 this year... his weight likely kept him off the “radar”   I hope he maintains this weight & I look forward to seeing what he can do
A guy who can whip himself into shape in a few years and go from not playing basketball to #6 JUCO player appears to be highly motivated.  Maybe the rate of improvement will continue and he'll turn out to be a fine player.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

opineonswine

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs!
« Reply #102 on: April 16, 2018, 12:55:47 pm »

Very happy to have him.

Fan701

• Varsity
« Reply #103 on: April 16, 2018, 03:36:44 pm »

While ranked #6, His .8600 rating is well below that of Barford, Macon, and Arlando Cook.
I'm not sure why but this year's JUCO rankings give considerably lower scores all down the line compared to Barford and Macon's class.  The #1 player Jordan Brangers gets 3 stars and a .9200 rating.

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Basketball/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=JuniorCollege

Pinto

• Senior
« Reply #104 on: April 16, 2018, 03:38:38 pm »

I'm not sure why but this year's JUCO rankings give considerably lower scores all down the line compared to Barford and Macon's class.  The #1 player Jordan Brangers gets 3 stars and a .9200 rating.

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Basketball/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=JuniorCollege

Yeah I was going to comment on that as well. Brangers declared for the draft last month too

logic

« Reply #105 on: April 25, 2018, 09:12:33 pm »

Mike Anderson tries to recruit the best players and the better player, but since they don't often choose the UofA, he must settle for players that don't get offers from the top colleges and that is mostly 3 star and a few 4 star players.  It is like Nolan said when he was here that it is difficult to recruit to Fayetteville.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #106 on: April 26, 2018, 11:17:50 am »

Mike Anderson tries to recruit the best players and the better player, but since they don't often choose the UofA, he must settle for players that don't get offers from the top colleges and that is mostly 3 star and a few 4 star players.  It is like Nolan said when he was here that it is difficult to recruit to Fayetteville.
I've said this a dozen times.
Whether difficult or not(not even going to get into that debate), for a 10-year period 1985-1995 Nolan recruited as well as anyone in the country.
He made this a destination program, where kids from New York, California, Kansas, Texas, etc were wanting to come here.

MA has never shown this kind of recruiting ability, at anywhere he's been. He's just not a great recruiter. He's always trying to build a team composed of 3-star, transfers, jucos
With exception of local boys who wanted to be Hogs. Gafford, Portis. Moses Kingsley is his best out-of-state recruit, and a good one: Top 50 player courted by Fla and Louisville.
As been said many times over, Mike is not Nolan.
That's all there is to it.

cram224

« Reply #107 on: April 26, 2018, 12:11:45 pm »

I never heard Nolan said it was difficult to recruit to Fayetteville. He started bringing in McD AA from day 1. If I'm not mistaken Ron Houry, spelling, who was from Memphis. On a scale of 1-10, I would say at best CMA is a 3 as far as recruiting. I think people forget that we are in a football league. Here in Ga you never hear a word about basketball. On sports talk radio its all football, just maybe when the NCAAT is going on you might hear a few callers. It's a fact that CMA is being out recruited by schools that could care less about basketball. That is what's hard for fans like me that live out of state to see us being middle of the pact in the SEC as for as recruiting. Look at football, the schools that lead the conference in attendance leads the conference in recruiting. Yet in basketball, Ark is at the top in attendance but middle of the pact in standings. A basketball player can come to Ark and play in front of 15,000 plus or he can go to a cow farm in West Ga and play in front of 8,000 on a good night. Outside of Kentucky we have the second largest fan base in the SEC, yet we are nowhere near the top in recruiting. The drop is even further nationally.

sadhogfan

• Senior
  • Injecting reason into HV discussions since 2007.
« Reply #108 on: April 26, 2018, 04:25:55 pm »

I never heard Nolan said it was difficult to recruit to Fayetteville. He started bringing in McD AA from day 1. If I'm not mistaken Ron Houry, spelling, who was from Memphis. On a scale of 1-10, I would say at best CMA is a 3 as far as recruiting. I think people forget that we are in a football league. Here in Ga you never hear a word about basketball. On sports talk radio its all football, just maybe when the NCAAT is going on you might hear a few callers. It's a fact that CMA is being out recruited by schools that could care less about basketball. That is what's hard for fans like me that live out of state to see us being middle of the pact in the SEC as for as recruiting. Look at football, the schools that lead the conference in attendance leads the conference in recruiting. Yet in basketball, Ark is at the top in attendance but middle of the pact in standings. A basketball player can come to Ark and play in front of 15,000 plus or he can go to a cow farm in West Ga and play in front of 8,000 on a good night. Outside of Kentucky we have the second largest fan base in the SEC, yet we are nowhere near the top in recruiting. The drop is even further nationally.

Nolan *absolutely* said it was difficult to recruit to Fayetteville. He said kids didn't want to come to Fayetteville, they wanted to come to play for *him*.

East TN HAWG

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #109 on: April 26, 2018, 04:43:04 pm »

I never heard Nolan said it was difficult to recruit to Fayetteville.

Were you listening? 

cram224

« Reply #110 on: April 26, 2018, 06:06:47 pm »

I remember him complaining as his win totals started to decline. However he got several McD AA from all over the country.

PORKULATOR

• knows how to 'dunk the crumpets'
Re:, Mason Jones has committed to the Hogs ...
« Reply #111 on: April 26, 2018, 08:33:38 pm »

Can we adjust the title to not say 'Breaking' because it's not really breaking news anymore and everytime I see the word breaking I get excited
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 08:50:08 am by PORKULATOR »

ShadowHawg

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #112 on: April 26, 2018, 08:49:45 pm »

I remember him complaining as his win totals started to decline. However he got several McD AA from all over the country.

Mayberry was his god son.
We took Day’s sorry step brother who later blew his knee to get him.
Nolan was friends with Glendon Alexander’s dad.
Darnell Robinson’s grandmother was from Tulsa. She was an acquaintance of Nolan’s who loved him and she begged Darnell until he came here.
Corliss was from Arkansas.

That leaves Huery, Hood, and Reid.

Back then, McDAA’s stayed at least 3 years. This meant that programs like Duke and Kentucky weren’t able to sign 7 of these kids a season the way they have been in recent times. Because of that, elite talent was spread around more and available to programs like ours.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #113 on: April 27, 2018, 12:23:51 pm »

MA has used similar 'connections' to get recruits. Phil Pressey?

All coaches have pipelines and connections to various players.

Doesn't change the fact Nolan was a more dynamic personality and force, and therefore a better recruiter, than MA has ever been.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas